Bristol is geographically
situated as follows: with Bloomfield on the north, Mecca on
the east. Champion on the south, and Farmington on the west.
The Ashtabula and Warren turnpike runs through the township from
north to south, west of the center. The Ashtabula, Youngstown
& Pittsburg railroad crosses the eastern half of the township in the
same direction, and has two stations for the accommodation of the
public—Bristolville and Oakland. The former is a mile east of
the village of Bristolville, and the latter an equal distance from
Bristolville, or in local parlance "the center," is
pleasantly situated about half a mile from the geographical center
of the township, and is a neat, quiet country village of some forty
houses. In the center of the village is a tasty little public
square, with ornamental shade trees. In the center of the
square is the soldiers' monument, erected to the memory of the
patriots of the township who died in their country's service.
Two fine churches, well built and well furnished, and a good school
building, speak well for the intelligence of the community.
North Bristol is a smaller village, on the turnpike, a
mile north of Bristolville, and contains one church, one store, a
The people of the township are industrious, economical,
sober-minded, and thrifty. Mixed agriculture, dairying, and
sheep and cattle raising are the principal occupations. Good
buildings and well-improved farms abound.
The soil is generally a clayey loam, with some sandy or
gravelly ridges. The surface is generally very nearly level.
The northern and northwestern portions have a few small hills in the
vicinity of streams.
The drainage is carried northward by Center creek and
Baughman's creek, tributaries to Grand river. The chief
source of these streams is in the northern part of Champion.
Deacon creek, which rises in that township, flows northward through
the eastern part of Bristol until within about half a mile of the
Bloomfield line, when it joins a small stream flowing west and
northwest, which is thenceforth known as Baughman's creek. All
these streams are small and unimportant.
The number of sugar orchards in this township is large.
Many acres of apple orchards are also found. Sager's nursery
for raising fruit and ornamental trees deserves mention.
This township was surveyed
early in the present century by Alfred Wolcott in
behalf of the Connecticut Land company, from whom he received as
payment for his services a grant of three hundred and fifty acres of
land in the township. He built a cabin at the center during
his stay here, which was the first building erected in the township.
BAUGHMAN was the first actual settler. In 1804 he
brought his family and settled on the creek which bears his name.
His cabin, the first one erected excepting that of Wolcott,
the surveyor, stood about one mile east of the turnpike and about
three-fourths of a mile from the north line of the township.
The land is
now H. Satterlee's farm. Baughman and
family removed to Richland county in 1816.
visited this township in 1802, or perhaps previously.
In company with three other men he started from Shenandoah
county, Virginia, to find in Ohio a suitable spot on which
to settle. On reaching the Ohio river two of his
companions refused to proceed farther into the wilderness
and deserted him. The other came on with him and in
due time both arrived within the present limits of Bristol.
They camped one night m the forest, and after selecting a
site for Mr. Sager's future home, started on
their return trip. They went to Youngstown and from
that place followed an Indian trail to the Ohio. Mr.
Sager purchased of Wolcott, the surveyor, a
piece of land on which he afterwards settled. On the
4th day of June, 1805, Mr. Sager and family
arrived in the township. Stopping over night with his
brother-in-law, Abraham Baughman, the next
morning Mr. Sager, Mr. Baughman,
and his two sons, Jacob and Abraham, proceeded
to cut a road through the wilderness a mile and a half to
Mr. Sager's land.
For a month or more, until a cabin could be
constructed, Mr. Sager and his wife, with
their one child, slept in his wagon. There was no
sawed timber to be procured nearer than at Warren, therefore
the cabin was built without the use of boards, as was
generally the case with pioneer dwellings. Soon he
succeeded in getting his logs together and had a cabin 18x20
feet in size. As soon as the lower floor was laid the
family moved in. Mr. Sager hewed out a
large plank for a work-bench and proceeded to finish off his
dwelling. Thus its one room served all the uses of
kitchen, sitting room, dining room, parlor, and work-shop.
Mr. Sager was by trade a mill-wright, but here
he found it necessary to act as carpenter, cabinet-maker,
William Sager had married Mary
Hammon, of German descent, before coming to Ohio, and
they had one child, Joseph, born in 1802. Their
son Jacob, born in 1805, was the first child born in
this township. The names of the six other children
were Sarah, John, Solomon, Anna,
Rebecca, and William. John,
Solomon, and Anna are dead. The others are
all living: Joseph, Jacob, William, and
Sarah in Bristol, and Rebecca (Hyde) in
Farmington. All lived to rear families excepting
Sarah, who remains single.
William's father, emigrated from Germany about 1758,
first settling in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and thence
removing to Shenandoah county, Virginia, where he reared a
family of four sons and four daughters. His
certificate of naturalization, issued by the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania in 1765, is now in possession of his grandson
Joseph, and is as quaint and old fashioned as any
document we have ever seen. Supreme court is printed "supream
court," and other deviations from modern standards of
orthography are numerous. Mr. Sager
being in religion a Mennonite would not take an oath of
naturalization but affirmed instead, and was given a paper
similar to those issued to Quakers. In 1810 he removed
to Bristol, and settled on the farm now owned by Edward
Kibbee in the northern part of the township. His
son Samuel settled on the same farm about 1811 and
remained until 1816, when he removed to Beaver county,
Pennsylvania, and lived the remainder of his days there.
Gabriel Sager died about 1816 but his wife survived
him several years. Their children who came to Ohio were
William and Samuel, and the four daughters, viz:
Elizabeth, wife of Abraham Baughman;
Barbara, wife of William Barb; Margaret,
wife of Henry Baughman; and Mary, wife
of John Barb. The Baughmans
remained but a few years, but both Barb families were
BARB removed from Shenandoah county, Virginia, in
1801, to Bristol, Trumbull county, Ohio, and located where
William Sager now lives. He subsequently
exchanged this farm with the owner, Mr. Sager, and
settled permanently on the place now owned by Martin J.
Barb. He was the father of six children, five boys
and one girl, named as follows: Gabriel, William,
Jacob, Peter, Abraham,
and Mary all now dead. Abraham, who
succeeded to the place after his father's death, was born
there in 1809. He married Lydia An Curlin and
raises a family to seven sons and six daughters, of whom
four (sons) are deceased. He died Jan. 7, 1868.
is yet living and is now in her seventieth year.
Their son, M. J. Barb,
occupies the homestead where his grandfather settled so
long ago and where his father always lived.
BARB settled on the present Thayer farm
in 1816. He had a family of eight children, three
of whom are still living. The names in order of age
were: Abraham, Margaret, Elizabeth, Solomon, Polly,
Jonathan, Barbara, and David. Those living
are Margaret ( Parker), Bristolville; Jonathan,
Indiana; and Barbara (Thayer), North Bristol.
Solomon and Elizabeth (Norton)passed their days in
FANSLER settled north of Bristolville in 1806.
His family was a large one. Two children died before
reaching mature years. The following lived to marry
and have families: Michael, John, Solomon, Moses,
Samuel, Anna, George, David, and Margaret. Samuel
and David now live in Bristol, George in
Fowler, and Margaret in Iowa.
and SARAH HAMMON settled in 1806 where their son
Jacob now resides. Statistics of their
family have been mislaid and we are unable to give them.
FAMILY. Abraham, John, Jacob,
and Isaac Kagy came at different dates,
Abraham as early as 1820, and located on the east and
west road in the eastern part of the township.
Samuel and John, sons of Abraham, still
reside in the township. Jacob, another of his
sons, died in the service of his country. John,
Jacob, and Isaac settled in the same
neighborhood. Isaac never married. Some
of John's children are still living here, viz:
John, on the old homestead; Joseph, Jacob,
and Michael. The latter lives on the old
Abraham Kagy place.
NORTON in 1806 settled in the northeast of the
township. His children were Barbara, Henry,
Catharine, Zachariah, George, Sally,
Michael, David, and William. All
lived in this vicinity and reared families. None
are now living. Their descendants are numerous,
influential and respected. The above were born after
Mr. Norton's second marriage. By his
first wife he had two sons in Virginia, John and
Jacob, who afterwards moved to Ohio.
All of the families
above named were of German origin and came to Bristol from
Virginia. The township was but sparsely settled until
POTTER settled on a farm just south of the present
village of Bristolville. After several years'
residence he and his family removed from the township.
He was the first justice of the peace in Bristol and was
well qualified by nature and education for the position,
having received a liberal education with the intention
(afterward abandoned) of entering the ministry.
FENTON, as early as 1805, settled on the farm now
occupied by his son Aaron. His children were
Daniel, William, Mary, Aaron, Abraham, Lydia, and
Enoch. Daniel, William, Abraham, and Mary
are dead. William spent his days in Bristol.
settled in the western part of the township in 1805.
In 1816 William Cox came and settled opposite
the road from him. William had no children, but
John had enough for both. The most of his large
family after marrying moved away. Following are the
names of his children: Betsey, Abigail, John, Hannah,
Peggy, Polly, Amy, Susan, Catharine, Japheth, and
Martha. Of these only one, Mrs. Peggy
Barb, now lives in Bristol. Timothy resides
BENJAMIN WHITE was an early pioneer of the
northwestern part of the township. He died during the
War of 1812. His children were Samuel, Elijah,
Patterson, Benjamin, and Polly (Smith). Samuel,
well known as 'Squire White, still resides in
JOHN LLOYD located in the northwest of this township in
1814. He owned five hundred acres of land in Bristol
and one thousand in Kirtland township, which he divided
equally among his three children, Thomas, Lester,
and Roxana. The Lloyds were from
Massachusetts. The farm on which they settled had been
improved to a small extent by John and Thomas
Martin, who came here about 1807, but remained only a
MOORE settled in 1805 or 1806 on the present
Curtis farm, on the turnpike, south of
Bristolville. He died of consumption in 1810, and was
buried in the township burying-ground at the center, it
being the first interment of an adult person there made.
The tombstone marking his grave has the oldest date of any
in the cemetery. His son William married and
settled in Bristol, but deserted his wife and left.
FAMILY. William, John, Thomas, James,
and Joseph Cummings, with their sisters, Betsy,
Anna, Polly, and Sally, were one of the
very first families that settled in the township. They
took up a farm near the southwest corner of Bristol.
Several of the name still remain in the township.
was one of the first comers. He also located in the
southwest of the township, but afterwards moved to the
Gordon place on the turnpike. Two sons, James
and John are still residents of Bristol.
ABRAMAM DAILY, and GEORGE BARGER, were among the first
settlers, but remained only a few years.
The greater part of
the above-named settlers were natives of Pennsylvania.
In this sketch we have attempted to include all of the
pioneers who resided here permanently, or whose descendants
now live in the township.
Township number six in the
fourth range was formerly included in the Middlefield election
district. In 1807 it was created in a separate township and
The township was named
Bristol, after Bristol, Connecticut, the home of the surveyor.
The growth of this village
was slow, and comparatively few improvements were made until after
the turnpike was opened in 1819 and the stage began running in 1828.
Samuel Swetland was the first store-keeper and
after him Henry Hanks came but remained only a short time.
Norris, Howard & Kibbee had a store quite early and erected
the building which is now E. L. Kibbee's store.
Lyman Potter, who lived at the south end of the
village, kept the first tavern for a number of years. A number
of others afterwards kept public house in the village.
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
THE DISCIPLE CHURCH.
The two principal burying
places in this township are located in Bristolville, one east and
the other west of the turnpike. Interments were made in the
township burying-ground east of the public square in very early
times. The oldest grave-stone standing bears the date 1810.
The new cemetery is large and prettily adorned with shrubbery of
evergreens. In the northern part of the township is a small
old burying-ground where rest and remains the members of the
Sager family and others of the old settlers.
IN EARLY DAYS.
AN ANCIENT WELL.
OTHER INTERESTING DISCOVERIES.
TOWNSHIP BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Stores: H. H. Pierce, E. L. Kibbee,
Bristolville; and E. P. Pierce, North Bristol.
Drug store: E. T. Finney, Bristolville
Furniture store: A. E.
Tin shop: R. G. Kelso
Jacob Norton, Post-master, North Bristol, E. A.
Bristolville physicians: A. J. Brockett, M.
D., and F. C. Corey, M. D.
Grist-mills: McBride Brothers & Vradenburg,
Bristolville; and Hutton & Freel, North Bristol.
Carriage and blacksmith shop,
Eckstine & Reel, North Bristol.
Jere Barton, North Bristol; Tift & Chryst,
southwest part of township.
Steam saw-mills: Strome & Reed have a
large saw-mill, planing-mill, handle and spoke manufactory,
etc., east of Bristolville station, and carry on an
extensive business. Mayhew Brothers have a
steam saw-mill and planing-mill at Oakfield station.
Two other saw-mills are owned by Sager & Cox, North
Bristol; and Osborn & Harclerode, in the southwest of
The above are the principal business interests, not
including shoemaker and blacksmith shops.
NOTES ON SETTLEMENT.
JACOB SAGER was
born in Bristol township Oct. 25, 1805. His father,
William Sager, was a native of Shenandoah county, West
Virginia, and came to Ohio in 1805 and settled in Bristol
township, and was among the early settlers of the township.
He settled in the north part of the township and resided upon
his farm until his death, which occurred in1856. There
were eight children in his family - five boys and three girls -
Joseph, Jacob, Sally, John, Solomon, Annie, Rebecca and
William. John, Solomon, and Annie are
deceased. Mr. Sager was a millwright by trade,
though he carried on farming in connection. Mr. Jacob
Sager has always lived inthe township. HE was the
first white child born in Bristol. He has lived to witness
many changes; has seen a dense wilderness change to a thriving
community. He was married Sept. 8, 1831, to Miss Leah
Kagy, daughter of Jacob Kagy, of Bristol. They
have had six children, five of whom are living Susan,
William J., Henry F., Mary E., Sophia, and Jacob A.
Mr. and Mrs. Sager are members of the Disciples church, and
in every respect are good citizens.
JOSEPH SAGER, a
well known resident of Bristol, was born June 1, 1802, in
Shenandoah county, Virginia, and came to Ohio in 1805 in company
with his father, William. Gabrielb Sager,
father of William, was a native of Germany, and came to
America in an early day. Mr. William Sager, made a
trip to Ohio in 1801, though it is not known whether he made a
purchase at this time or not. In 1805 he removed to his
family. He made his journey to Ohio in a covered wagon,
and lived in this several weeks while a hut in process of
construction. He farm, upon which he lived till his death,
which occurred Sept. 24, 1856. Joseph Sager is one
of the oldest residents of the township. He was married in
1829, to Miss Catharine Peters, daughter of Daniel
Peters, of Bristol township. There were two children
by this marriage; Mary A. and Daniel W. Mrs.
Sager died in 1854. In 1856 Mr. Sager was
married a second time, to Mrs. Hewitt, daughter of Eli
Young, of Farmington, and has one child by this union:
Frank J. Both himself and wife are Methodists.
was born Feb. 14, 1821, in Bristol township, upon the farm where
he now lives. He is the youngest son of William Sager.
He has always lived in the township. Farming has been his
chief business. He has a farm of one hundred and
seventy-five acres of good land. He was married in 1844,
to Miss Mary M. Norton daughter of Zachariah Norton,
of Bristol. Eight children are the fruit of this union:
Flora, Delia, Olive, Julia, Jennie, George, Minnie, William.
William died in infancy. Mrs. Sager is a member
of the Disciple church. Politically Mr. Sager is a
member of the disciple church. Politically Mr. Sager
is a firm Republican. He has held several of the township
offices, has been township trustee, assessor, and justice of the
peace, thus showing the high esteem in which he is held by his
ISAAC BARB, an old
resident of Bristol township, was born Dec. 18, 1822, in Bristol
township, Trumbull county, upon the farm where he now lives.
His father, Gabriel, was born in Shenandoah county,
Virginia, and came to Ohio in 1805, when he was eleven years of
age, in company with his father, William, who came to the
township with the Sager family. There were very few
settlers in the township at the time of their arriving.
William Barb began in an unbroken wilderness, and succeeded
in building up a grand farm, upon which he lived till his death,
which occurred in 1839, leaving a family of six children,
Peter, Gabriel, William, Jacob, Abram, Mary. Mrs. Barb
died in 1854 or 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Barb were
members of the Mennonite church. Mr. Gabriel Barb
came upon the farm where his son Isaac now lives, in
February, 1822. The first tree he cut down came very near
killing him. Timothy Cox did the most of his
chopping. Abram Kagy was his nearest neighbor.
At the time of Mr. Barb's death he had about one hundred
acres of land cleared. There were three children in the
family, Isaac, Henry and Elizabeth. Isaac
and Henry reside upon the old home place.
Elizabeth (Diehl) lives in Nebraska. Mr. Barb
was a Mennonite. Mrs. Barb was a Dunkard.
Isaac Barb, the subject of this sketch, has a farm of three
hundred and fifty acres. He is engaged in general farming.
He was married in 1848 to Miss Elizabeth Norton, daughter
of Zachariah Norton, of Bristol. They have two
children, Joseph S. and Maria. Mr. and Mrs. Barb
are church members and are sincere Christians. Mr. Barb
has been unable to do work for the last few years on account of
lameness. His son carries on the farm.
was born Jan. 14, 1826, in Bristol township, upon the farm where
he now lives. His father, Gabriel, was one of the first
settlers in the township. Mr. Henry Barb has always
been engaged in farming, though in connection with this he has
been in a saw-mill, in which he did an extensive business for
several years. He has one hundred and sixty-seven acres of
excellent land. Mr. Barb was united in matrimony to
Miss Jane A. Thompson, daughter of Robert Thompson,
of Bristol Township. Three children are the fruits of this
union, Harriet, Nettie A., George E. Harriet
is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Barb are Methodists.
A. DAVIDSON was born in 1800 in New Haven, Connecticut,
and came to Ohio in a very early day, over fifty years ago, and
settled in Boardman township, Trumbull county, now Mahoning.
Here he lived several years, and then moved to Mecca Township,
Trumbull county, where he resided till 1865, when he moved to
Bristol township and resided till his death in 1875. He
was a carpenter by trade. He was married in December,
1838, to Miss Martha A. Chaffee, daughter of Rev. J.
Chaffee, of Bristol township. They had five
children, three of whom are living - Lurena, Orrin E.
Flora A. Mr. Davidson was a member of the Disciple
church. Mrs. Davidson is also a member. He
had been justice of the peace twelve years; also notary public
J. CHAFFEE was born in Massachusetts. He came to
Ohio about 1814 and settled in Bristol township, west of the
center, and was among the early pioneers. He began in the
wilderness and cleared up a good farm, and lived there till
1824, and then moved to Mecca township, where he resided till
1865; then returned to Bristol and spent the remainder of his
days. He died Sept. 3, 1869. Mrs. Chaffee
died Sept. 14, 1874. Mr. Chaffee married Miss
Theodosia Fletcher, daughter of John Fletcher, of
Massachusetts, Mar. 1, 1813. There were nine children in
the family - Theodosia, Sally L., Martha A., Joseph G.,
Eunice P., Mary M., John M., Betsy, and Nancy. Rev.
J. Chaffee as a minister of the Disciple church,
though he carried on a farm; also worked at shoemaking at
HOSHEA MOFFET, a former old resident of
Bristolville, was born Mar. 22, 1787, in Connecticut, and came
to Ohio in 1828 and settled in Bristol township, Trumbull
county. He located in the northwestern part of the
township, where he lived till his death, which occurred Jan. 18,
1857, leaving a family of nine children to mourn his loss.
Mrs. Moffet died in 1830. He was married Nov. 6,
1801, to Miss Polly Porter, daughter of Alexander
Porter, of Connecticut. The names of his children are
as follows: Edwin, Lucine, Adaline, Louisa, Orlando,
Erastus, Chauncey, Charles, Amanda. Edwin, Orlando,
Chauncey and Amanda are deceased. Mr. and
Mrs. Moffet were members of the Methodist church, and
enjoyed the esteem and confidence of all who knew them.
STEPHEN OSBORN, an old resident of Bristol
township, was born in Litchfield county, town of Colebrook,
Connecticut, Nov. 20, 1797. His father, Joshua, was
born in Connecticut, and came to Ohio in 1809, and settled in
Southington township, Trumbull county, and was among the early
settlers of the township. Like the early pioneers he began
in the woods and made himself a good farm and lived upon this
till his death. He died in1837, leaving a family of
thirteen children - Chloe, Reuben, Mansfield, Dorcas, Amanda,
Sterling, Annie, Phoebe. Stephen, Amanda, Annie, and
Phoebe are the only surviving members of the family.
Mr. Stephen Osborn came to Bristol township in 1830.
He first settled upon the turnpike south of the center and here
resided about twenty years, then moved upon the farm where he
now lives. Many improvements have been made by Mr.
Osborn. Farming has been his occupation, and even at
his present advanced age he is able to do much labor in the
field. He was married in 1826 to Miss Mary Hillman,
daughter of Shubal Hillman, of Bristol. He had four
children by this marriage. Mrs. Osborn died in1834.
He then married Miss Amanda Hillman, sister of his first
wife, and had four children by this marriage. Mrs.
Osborn died in 1855. He married in 1858 his third
wife, Mrs. Rebecca Difford, of Bloomfield, who died in
1870. Mr. Osborn has one hundred and thirty-four
acres of good land. He has been quite a hunter and trapper
in his day, and takes much pride in exhibiting his old wolf-trap
at the present day. He is a member of the Methodist
Among the first settlers of Bristol was AARON FENTON, SR.,
who removed from New Jersey. He located where his son
Aaron now lives. He died many years ago, leaving a
family of five sons and two daughters, viz.: Daniel, William,
Aaron, Abraham, Enoch, Mary, and Lydia (Bard).
William, the second son, was born in Bristol in 1811;
married Adaline Moffet in 1835, and settled at the center
of Bristol, where he resided a number of years, then purchasing
the farm which his widow still occupies. He was a
carpenter by trade. He died in1860. Mrs. Fenton
was born in Herkimer county, New York, in 1814. Her father
was Hoshea Moffet, a brief notice of whom is elsewhere
given. To Mr. and Mrs. Fenton were born seven sons
and two daughters, as follows: William W., living
in Bristol; A. W., deputy collector of customs,
Cleveland, Ohio; Shurben, on the farm with his mother;
Marshal, in Warren, and Dr. Hoshea Fenton, of Troy,
Geauga county; Mortimer and Charles and the two
daughters, Mary and Delia, are deceased.
JACOB NORTON, an old resident of Bristol,
was born in 1820 in Bristol. His father, Zachariah,
was a native of Shenandoah county, Virginia, and came to Ohio in
a very early day, and settled in the northeastern part of the
township. Jacob Norton, the grandfather of Jacob,
the subject of this sketch, came from Germany. He was one
of the early pioneers of old Trumbull. Like the most of
the early settlers he began in the woods and cleared up a good
farm, and lived upon it until his death. There were nine
children in the family. Mr. Zachariah Norton lived
in the township till his death. He was a farmer by
occupation, and life his father made a farm for himself.
There were twelve children in his family, ten of whom are
living. Mr. Jacob Norton, one of the number, has
always resided in the township. He has been engaged in the
mercantile business chiefly, though he has been postmaster since
1861, and is still serving in that position. He was
married in 1844 to Miss Hannah A. Whitmore, daughter of
Beriah and Nancy Whitmore, of Gustavus township.
They have one child, Francis B., who is a practicing
physician at Newburg, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Norton are
members of the Methodist church.
C. W. HUNTLY was born in Canandaigua,
Ontario county, New York, in 1813, June 3d. His father,
Rufus Huntly, was a native of Connecticut, and came to Ohio
in 1832, and settled in Sharon, Medina county, where he lived
till his death. He was an early settler in the section
where he located. There were twelve children in his
family, only six of whom are now living. Mr. C. W.
Huntly came to Trumbull county in 1846, and located in
Bristol township, upon the farm formerly owned by Jacob
Norton. Here he lived till he came to the center.
He was proprietor of the hotel at Bristolville about fifteen
years, and won the good wishes of the traveling public. He
was married in 1834 to Miss Julia A. Fairchild, daughter
of Abel Fairchild, of Ontario county, New York.
They have had thirteen children, twelve of whom are living.
Mr. and Mrs. Huntly are members of the Methodist church,
and are sincere Christians. Mr. Huntly served a
short time in the late war. He had four sons, who also
acted in defense of their country, one of whom died at
Vicksburg. Mr. Huntly may well take pride in the
war record of his family. Politically Mr. Huntly is
a stanch republican, and is held in high esteem by his
SCOTT F. HUNTLY was born Apr. 22, 1847, in
Bristol township, Trumbull county, Ohio. His father,
Calvin W., came to Ohio in 1846. Mr. S. F. Huntly
has lived most of his life in Bristol; was in Michigan nine
months. At the present time he is proprietor of a hotel at
Bristolville, and is universally liked by the traveling public.
He was married in1869, to Miss Lizzie Mullen, daughter of
Samuel Mullen, of Mecca township. Mr. Huntly
served nearly two and a half years in the Rebellion, though very
young at the time of his enlistment. He enlisted in
February, 1862, in the Twenty-third Ohio infantry, and
participated in thirteen different engagements, was at Cloyd
Mountain, New River Bridge, Cedar Creek, and many others.
Mr. Huntley is a carpenter by trade.
SAMUEL WHITE, an old resident of Bristol,
was born Apr. 1, 1808, in Bristol township, Trumbull county,
Ohio. His father, Benjamin, was a native of
Washington county, Pennsylvania. He purchased his land of
Richard Iddings, and soon after bought the farm
now occupied by Mr. Spitler, through the agency at
Warren. He probably owned about one hundred acres.
He cleared up a good farm, and built the first grist-mill in the
township, which he carried on in connection with his farming for
several years. He then went to Middlefield, Geauga county,
where he lived till his death, which occurred in November, 1815.
Mrs. White died in November, 1875, in eighty-eighth year.
They were married in 1804, in Bristol township, by 'Squire
Tracy of Mesopotamia. They had eight children, six
of whom are living, two dying in infancy - Samuel, Elijah G.,
Polly, Jane, Patterson, and Benjamin. Mr.
Samuel White has always lived in the township, never having
been out of it for a month at a time since when he was born.
He learned the carpenter trade when he was about eighteen years
of age, and followed it till 1840, though he purchased a farm in
1834. He was about eighteen years of age, and followed it
till 1840, though he purchased a farm in 1834. He was
married Oct. 12, 1835, to Mary Ann Flower, daughter of
Horace Flower, of Bloomfield township. Seven children
were the fruit of this union, three of whom are living.
Mrs. White died Feb. 7, 1851. Mr. White was
married the second time in 1854 to Mrs. Melvina Seaton,
of Erie county, New York. One child was born to them.
Mrs. White is a member of the Congregational church.
Mr. White has filled several of the township offices; was
justice many years; also has town clerk and trustee. In
politics he is a firm Republican.
ANAN GORDON was born Feb. 12, 1823, in
Warren, Ohio. His father, Robert Gordon, was
born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, June 8, 1796.
His grandfather, Colonel Thomas Gordon, came from
Scotland in an early day, and settled in Washington county,
Pennsylvania. An attempt was made to bribe him to go
into Burgoyne's army in the Revolution, but Mr. Gordon
remained steadfast in his loyalty to the land of his
adoption, and spurned the insult with indignation. In
1799 he came to Ohio and located in Poland township, and was
one of the first in the township. He cleared up a good
farm and lived upon it several years, then moved to
Ashtabula county, where he resided till he removed to
Lordstown, Trumbull county. He died in 1840.
Mr. Robert Gordon came to Warren about 1817, from
Ashtabula county. He was a brick-maker by trade and
lived in Warren till his death. There were twelve
children in his family, six boys and six girls, all of whom
lived in the county. In 1850 when went to Bazetta
township, where he lived twenty-one years, and was engaged
in farming in the meantime. In 1861 he came to
Bristol, where he has since resided. He was married
Feb. 15, 1849, to Miss Ruanna Bell, daughter of
Jabez and Anna Bell, of Bazeta. There were two
children by this marriage. Second marriage Sept. 29,
1859, to Miss Harriet Nutt, daughter of
Chauncey Nutt, of Southington township. Four
children by this marriage. Third marriage Mar. 30,
1876, to Mrs. Frances F. Lightfoot, daughter of
Michael Chandler, of Parkman, Portage county.
Mr. Gordon has two hundred and thirty-three acres of find
land. He is engaged in general farming.
was born May 21, 1831, in Bristol township. His father,
John Bowers, was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, and
came to Ohio in 1829, and settled in Bristol township, west of
the center, but soon after moved to the eastern part of this
township upon the farm where he now lives. Mr. John
Bowers began in the dense wilderness and made for himself
a good farm. There were six children in his family -
Leah, Levi, Gideon, Lydia, Sarah, Mary. Levi is
deceased - was killed by the falling of a tree in 1848.
Mr. John Bowers and lady are still living. Gideon
Bowers has always resided in this township; farming has been
his occupation. He was married in 1858 to Miss Sarah
Crozier, daughter of James Crozier, of Mecca
township. They have four children - Charles J., Hattie
A., Jay L., George Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Bowers are
members of the Methodist church, also Hattie. Mr.
Bowers is a sound Republican.
a well known resident of Bristol township, was born in Germany
Aug. 3, 1818. His father, Michael Eckstine, was
also a native of Germany and came to America in 1820, landing in
Baltimore, Maryland, where he resided a short time, then went to
Virginia, Shenandoah county, and located and lived until 1834
when he moved to Ohio and settled in Bristol township, upon the
farm where his son Jacob now lives. He began in an
unbroken forest and built up a good farm and lived to enjoy the
fruit of his labor until his death, which occurred July 23,
1861. Mrs. Eckstine died Jan. 17, 1864. There
were two children, Jacob and Mary. Mary died in
West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Eckstine were members
of the Lutheran church. Jacob Eckstine has always
lived upon the old home place; has made farming a life
occupation. He was married in 1848 to Miss Leah Bowers,
daughter of John Bowers, of Bristol Township. Five
children have been born to them: Mary J., Amos, Cyrus,
Charles, Sarah Ann. Sarah, who is the oldest of the
family, is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Eckstine are
hospitable people and merit and enjoy the good wishes of all who
A. J. BROCKETT, M. D..
son of Alanson and grandson of Chauncey Brockett,
early settlers in Farmington, was born in Bristol, Trumbull
county, Ohio, in 1836. He was the first child born on what
is called West street, where his father had settled the year
before. Dr. Brockett read medicine with Dr. C.
T. Metcalf, of Bristolville, now of Warren, for three years
from 1858 to 1861. In the spring of the latter year he
graduated at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. In the
spring of 1864 he went into the army as surgeon of the First
regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, serving until mustered out
with the regiment. He afterwards, as assistant surgeon,
had charge of the Eighty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry at Camp
Chase, Columbus, until the close of the war. He then
returned to Bristolville and bought out Dr. Metcalf and
has been engaged in the practice of his profession there since.
He is president of the Trumbull County Medical Society. In
the spring of 1882 he formed a partnership with his younger
brother, Dr. O. H. Brockett, a resident graduate of
Cleveland Medical college. He married Jan. 10, 1878,
Amelia J. Noyes, who died Feb. 21, 1879. July 14,
1880, he married Mrs. Mary Maria Pond, a daughter of
Daniel Gates, an early resident of Farmington.
DR. FRANK C. COREY,
a rising physician of Bristol, was born Oct. 7, 1853, in
Bristol. His father, Frank H., was a native of
Vermont and came to Bristol in 1850. Dr. Corey
studied medicine at Mt. Vernon with Dr. J. C. Gordon, and
graduated at Cleveland Medical college in 1874. He also
attended one course of lectures at Philadelphia. Dr.
Corey practiced in Mt. Vernon about thirteen months, then
came to Bristol, where he has since practiced. He was
married in 1877 to Miss Ida M. Bennett, daughter of
Edwin Bennett, of Hartford township. They have one
child - Louie L. Mr. and Mrs. Corey are members of
the Congregational church. Politically he is a Republican.
NEWELL MALTBY was born in Tompkins, New
York, in 1832, and moved with his parents, Nathaniel H. and
Betsey (Patchen) Maltby to Bristol township in 1841.
They settled on the farm now owned by Newell Maltby who
is the youngest of eight children, only three of whom are now
living. His mother died in 1836,and his father in 1855, at
the age of seventy-three. Mr. Maltby was married in
1856 to Jane Pierce, a native of Vermont, daughter of
Thaddeus Pierce, who settled in Bristol in 1854. Their
children are Mellie J., and Hattie Dell.
E. D. BALDWIN
was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 26, 1846.
His father, Isaac S. Baldwin, was a native of Vermont,
though he moved to New York when he was very young and remained
there until he was thirteen years old, then moved to
Pennsylvania where he still resides. Mr. E. D. Baldwin
came to Ohio in 1877, in October, and settled in Bristol
township upon the farm where he now lives. He is engaged
in general farming and has one hundred and thirty -seven acres
of good land. He was married in 1877 to Miss Elizabeth
McMahan, daughter of Thomas McMahan, of Howland
township. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin are members of the
Congregational church and are good citizens.
RETURN TO TABLE