The name of this
township was doubtless derived from the original proprietor of
the land, Captain James Johnston, of Salisbury,
Connecticut, father of the late Edward Walter Johnston.
the township is in number six of the second range. It was
surveyed by Nathan Moore and his assistant in the year
1802. It was then an unbroken wilderness uninhabited by
any save the savage or wild beast of the forest. The first
settler was a family by the name of Bradley, consisting of
himself, Captain Bradley his wife, Senath, and
their three sons, Thaddeus, Moore Bird, and Ariel
They bid adieu to their native
town, Salisbury, Connecticut, on the 7th of June, 1803, and
performed a journey of five or six weeks and six or seven
hundred miles, reaching Canfield, this State, before they made a
stop. Mr. James Bradley at that time
was a man not far from fifty years of age, and his sons were
young men just in the strength of early manhood.
Mr. Bradley and family remained at Canfield a
few days to visit friends of former acquaintanceship, after
which they resumed their journey by marked trees and bridle
paths, making their way from one clearing to another, which
however, were few and far between. After a few days they
came to the last opening, about five miles distant from the
locality selected for a home in the new township. The
whole region at that time for a space of ten miles square around
this spot selected for spending the remainder of their days, was
an unbroken wilderness, uninhabited. Their neighbors were a
family by the name of Barnes between this and Vienna, one
family in the southwest part of Bazetta, between this and
Warren, on what was known as the Quinby farm, a
few families in Vienna, a few in Gustavus, and a few in Kinsman.
They camped the first night in the township by a little stream,
taking rest preparatory to the work of penetrating the unbroken
forest still further on the morrow.
Captain Bradley and his family settled on
a lot a little west of the center, but he subsequently removed
to a farm in the west part of the township, where he lived about
fourteen years, and died respected at the age of sixty-two. His
widow lived fifteen years longer and died a venerable matron of
four-score years, June 15, 1832. From the time she left the
family of Mr. Barnes, in Fowler, and came into
this township, it was a year and some months before she saw
again the face of a white female.
Of the sons of Captain Bradley, Thaddeus, the
eldest, spent much time from home aiding the family by such
employment as he could find in Ravenna or the neighboring
settlements in merchandising or teaching till he at length
returned and settled in the west part of the township, where he
died in October, 1865, at the old homestead which was afterwards
owned by James D. Bradley, his oldest son. About
six hundred acres of land was inherited by his three children
and a granddaughter. Moore Bird, the second
son, after laboring a few years in clearing away the forest,
turned his attention to the study of medicine. He was the
first medical student under the instruction of Dr. Peter
Allen, and after studying and reading with him for a time he
practiced his profession in Mansfield and eventually settled in
Pennsylvania, where he died, leaving a widow. Ariel,
the youngest son, engaged in the more rugged employment of
clearing the farm. He was the hero of the axe, who felled
the first tree previously noted. But his strong
constitution gave way under toil and disease and subsequently he
too studied medicine, with his brother, and practiced as a
physician. Late in life he married Miss Laura L.
Barstow, who still lives, the widow of the first physician
of the township.
The next arrivals were two young men, who were
carpenters, without families. One was a mill-wright. They
set themselves to work to look up a suitable location for a mill
seat, and fixed upon a site in the northeastern part of the
township. Those young men were Jared Hill
and James Skinner. They came in July. 1804,
and staid until winter, raised their saw-mill, then left until
the next season. They went to Canfield, married, and soon
after came back with their wives. When they moved in they
came up through the first range, through Vernon, and cat a path
a mile and a half to make an opening to get their teams through
to their new abode in the wilderness. There they remained,
and as the men were mechanics, their wives were sometimes left
alone from Monday morning until Saturday night, their nearest
neighbors being a camp of Indians a half mile down the stream
from the mill.
In about a year and a half after their settlement
Messrs. Hill & Skinner had their sawmill in
use to the very great accommodation of the settlement.
They soon added a grist-mill which further accommodated the
inhabitants. Before the erection of this mill their
nearest place for grinding was at Orangeville, Pennsylvania.
Of these families Miss Sallie Hill died
July I, 1822, aged forty years, and Jared Hill,
Esq., died July 6, 1839, aged sixty-five years.
A few weeks after Hill and Skinner first
came, in September, 1804, came a Mr. Jaqua with
his family, which consisted of himself and wife and
five children, two sons and three daughters. This family
settled near the cross roads east of the center. In this family
was the first marriage in the township. Solomon
Brainard was married to Charity Jaqua.
The exact date is not known, but it was in less than two years
after the family came as it was before June, 1806. Mr.
Jaqua was the first magistrate chosen in the township.
His two sons died in a time of sickness which will be noted in
the proper place. The family removed to Pennsylvania,
where they lived the remainder of their days. Of the
family of Solomon and Charity Brainard, the
second son, John Brainard, after laboring for a
time as a clothier and also as an engraver, occupied the chair
of a professor in the homeopathic college in Cleveland.
In the spring of 1805 David Hine and a
Mr. Hanchet, single men, came and put up a shanty
where Mr. Henry K. Hulse afterwards lived, west of the
center, but they did not remain.
Probably the next family which came in was that of
Mr. Zebulon Walker. He came in the late part of the
summer or in the fall of 1805. His family consisted of a
wife and several children. He first settled near Mr.
Jaqua, on the northeast corner of the cross-roads. He
built a small house and made a little improvement, which he
subsequently exchanged for a lot towards the north part of the
township, to which he removed and afterwards left town. As
near as can be ascertained the first white child born in the
township was a child of Mr. Walker.
Most, or all of those mentioned in the above, were from
November 2, 1805, brought in quite an addition to the
settlement: Four families came from Warren, Connecticut.
Daniel Hine, Jr.; Erastus Carter,
Howard Fuller, and Benjamin Andrews.
There were also some young men who came with them, among whom
were Augustus Adams, Josiah Finney, and a
Mr. Breman. This company were three days
coming from Youngstown. Mr. Carter settled near
where Mr. Dunbar's tavern afterwards stood, and
the others in different parts of the township. They
engaged immediately in putting up their cabins for shelter for
their families for the coming winter. While in the midst
of their work in rolling up their logs for Mr.
Fuller's house, Mr. Hine had his leg broken
below the knee, which laid him up for most of the winter.
When Mr. Hine first came he stored his goods in
the shanty built by his brother and Mr. Hanchet,
and it was there he was cared for until he recovered from his
Mr. Carter did not unload
his goods until he had rolled up a house for hnnself. About one
year after Mr. Carter came into the township he
lost his infant child. It was buried in what is now the
graveyard for the township, and was the first grave made in the
ground, and this was probably the first death which occurred
among the early settlers. Mr. Hine dug the grave.
In June, 1806, the next year, added another company to
the settlement. Daniel Hine, Sr., David
Webb, William McKey, and Morris Smith
arrived with their families. This company suffered from
sickness on the road. Mrs. McKey was so unwell
that she was obliged to stop at the house of Isaac
Woodford, in Vienna, where they had serious sickness, the
complaint being dysentery. Daniel Hine
settled on the place afterwards owned by William Boor,
but later, in a few years, left for Canfield, where he removed
his family. David Webb settled on or near the
place where his late widow, Sarah Webb, lived and
died, afterwards occupied by Mr. Hale.
Mr. McKey settled where
his son Henry McKey afterwards lived. These
families furnished a large accession to the number of young
people in the township. Mr. Hine had two
sons and three daughters. Mr. Webb had five sons
and two daughters, and Mr. McKey had three
children. Daniel Abell, subsequently
Major Abell, another single man, came in June, 1806.
Nathan Webb, the eldest son of David Webb,
a clothier* by trade, soon turned his attention to secure a site
for his business. He first attempted to build a little
below the mill of Messrs. Hill & Skinner.
After he had spent one season in building a dam the result of
his labor was swept away by a freshet, and he subsequently
secured the privilege of the water-power at the mill of Hill
& Skinner. He returned to Connecticut and married
Miss Anna Gregory, from Milton, with whom
he settled on the place which for many years he afterwards
occupied. His wife was a professor of religion before she
left Connecticut, and did much to advance the cause of Chris-
tianity in the new settlement. Mr. David
Webb was found dead in his bed on the morning of March the
22d, 1827. He was seventy-one years old. His widow,
Sarah Webb, was also found dead in bed on the
morning of October 6, 1852. She was ninety-two years old.
Mrs. Laura Hine,
wife of David Hine, Jr., died September 15,
185 1, aged twenty-one years. She was honored in the
memory of all who knew her.
Mr. Augustus Adams,
who came in November, 1805, settled on the lot afterwards
occupied by Frederick Stevens. He
married one of the daughters of David Hire, Sr.
Mr. Ahell commenced the
improvement where Ebcnezer Jackson afterwards
lived, but went back and was married to Miss Root,
and when he returned he settled on he place afterwards owned by
About the time that Mr. Abell commenced
his improvement on the west street the son of Captain
Bradley commenced the improvement which they subsequently
occupied near Mr. Abell. The improvement first commenced
by Mr. Abell was' afterwards occupied by Mr.
Spencer, and still further north on the place occupied by
a Mr. Dickerson, Mr. Consider Faunce
settled. He remained there till his death, which occurred April
i, 1819, at the age of sixty-nine. His widow lived to an
advanced age, much esteemed as a mother in Israel, and died at
the house of her son, Joseph Barstow, March 19,
1848, aged ninety-eight years.
About this time also we find the family of Mr.
Lilly settled at the center, on the place afterwards
owned by Rev. O. S. Eells; also a son of his and a
Mr. Hunt settled at the south part of the township
on the center line, Mr. Hunt nearly opposite where
Mr. E. Allen's barn stood and where the old mill was in
use for a long time. Mr. Lilly was farther south.
In the fall of 1810 the widow Anna Jackson came in
and settled first with her two sons, John and William,
on the place, a long time afterwards owned by Mr. Amzi
Webb; John was married and William was
single at that time. They subsequently removed to the
south part of the township, purchased the improvements made by
Mr. Hunt and Mr. Lilly, and after
about five or six years their older brother, Ebenezer, came, and
settled where his widow fifty years afterwards was living.
Mrs. Anna Jackson died June 22, 1818, aged
fifty-eight years. Mr. John Jackson moved
east of the center. About the same time, 1810, Mr.
Amasa Hamlin settled in the west part of the
township on the farm afterwards owned by Mr. Greer,
formerly by Mr. Joseph Barstow. Mr.
Hamlin afterwards left.
In the winter and spring of 1811 the settlement was visited with
distressing sickness. It prevailed so extensively that the
well were not enough in numbers to take care of the sick.
While many recovered there were four young persons who died. Jesse
Perry was the first. His parents lived somewhere near the
center, but as he was not in a situation to be taken care of
there he was removed to the house of David Webb, where he
The disease, typhus fever, prevailed in the family of
Mr. Webb, and their daughter, Debby Webb,
died May 2, 1811, aged eighteen years. Two sons of Mr.
Jaqua died also about the same time, of the same disease,
and also a young man, William Adams, who died of
consumption. It has been stated that Mr. Adams
was the first adult who died in the township. He died at
the house of his brother, Augustus Adams.
Also the wife of William Key died not far from
this time. Her health was poor when she came into the
county, and while here was always
a feeble woman. These funerals were solemn and sad
gatherings in the wilderness for the little community with
scarcely enough to assist at the necessary preparations.
Sometimes they had
the aid of Mr. Crosby, a local Methodist preacher
from Vernon, to conduct religious services. Sometimes some
of the settlers offered a prayer, and sometimes the dead were
taken up in silence and borne away to the grave. The first
of the settlers who aided in a religious service at funerals was
Mr. Hamlin. Said one of the witnesses on one
of these occasions: "Although I had no particular interest in
religious subjects at that time, I did feel thankful that we had
some one among us who could pray at a funeral."
EARLY RELIGIOUS MEETINGS.
attempt to hold anything of the character of the social
religious meetings on
the Sabbath was not until some time after the arrival of the
company in June, 1806. As we have remarked, there were a number
of young people in the company, some of them singers, and nearly
all accustomed to attend meetings on the Sabbath before they
came West. Although not professors of religion, and none of them
feeling qualified by religious experience to conduct the
devotional exercises of religious worship, yet they agreed to
meet on the Sabbath and join m the exercises. Mr.
Daniel Mine, Jr., invited them to meet at his house the first Sabbath
of their meetings. Dr. Wright, of
Vernon, was providentially visiting the sick
in the place, and learning of the meeting
he attended and assisted by leading the
congregation in prayer, in connection with their
reading and singing. As there was, however, no
one among them of sufficient confidence and
Christian experience to lead the devotional exercises
of public worship, after a few times these
meetings were suspended, and no more regularly
religious meetings were held on the Sabbath,
till after the arrival of Mr. Hamlin, and as far
can be learned, not till after the season of sickness. Mr. Hamlin was a Methodist of very
respectable qualifications, and consistent religious
character, of a liberal mind and disposed to
seek and promote religious society. After becoming
acquainted with the community and
ascertaining the willingness and desire to have
meetings for worship on the Sabbath, he invited
the people to meet together, and met with them.
By his influence and aid the meetings were
conducted by prayer, singing, and reading discourses,
and by such free conference as the
members present were disposed to engage in. This was the beginning of the permanent establishment
of public worship on the Sabbath in this place. It is believed
that from this time it has been habitually maintained. There was
at that time no ecclesiastical organization, but all met
together simply for worship. The preachers of all denominations,
either residing on the border
or traveling through as missionaries, occasionally spent a
Sabbath or called at other times and gave them a sermon.
Among the early preachers who visited them
was Mr. Crosby from Vernon, already mentioned; Father
Badger from Gustavus, and Mr. Robbins,
a Congregational missionary from Vernon; Mr. Darrow from Vienna, a Presbyterian; also
Sheldon from Fowler, and Elder Rigdon, a Baptist
missionary, and later, Mr. Simon Woodruff
and Mr. William Hanford, missionaries from the
Connecticut Missionary society.
During the occasional visits and the labors of
these men there was an interesting revival of
religion, in which some of the leading heads of
families were hopefully converted to Christ, and
who have since been pillars in the different
churches here. Mr. Crosby, after a few visits
finding a number of the Methodist denomination, suggested to
them that if they would request it of the conference they would
probably send a circuit preacher, who would gather a class and
make a regular preaching station at this place. It was
accordingly done abbot the year 1812.
FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
Rev. James McMahan is remembered as among the first
circuit preachers, and he was on the circuit in 1813. It was
then known as the Mahoning circuit, belonging to this
conference, which was set off in 181 2 from the Baltimore
This was then a frontier circuit, extending north into
.Ashtabula, and west into Cuyahoga and Portage counties. The
preachers sometimes got swamped between their appointments.
One of them, somewhere in the valley of the Mosquito creek, was
compelled to seek a dry spot in the midst of the wide waters and
swamp for the night.
The meeting for forming the class was held at the house
of Mr. Lilley, nearly across the street from the
house now used. Among the male members were Mr. Hamlin,
Mr. Spencer, and probably Mr. Dickinson,
and soon after Mr.
The wives of most of these were with their husbands. Other
names were also associated, but the early records were lost and
they can not be ascertained.
The Presbyterian or Congregational church was organized
October 16, 1814, under the labors of Rev. William
Hanford, a missionary of the Connecticut Missionary
society. It consisted at first of six members—Solomon
Brainard and his wife, Nathan Webb and
wife, and Amzi Webb and wife. The church was
organized in a log school-house, the first one built in the
stood on the south side of the street and nearly opposite the
east school-house. Rev. Osias S. Eells was installed
pastor of the Congregational church October 10, 1827. At
the time he came they met in a hewed-log school-house, standing
on the northwest corner at the center. At that time a
frame meeting-house was in course of erection on the southeast
corner, where Andrews & Finney's store afterwards
Although the house above mentioned was the first
school-house, a school was commenced before that house was
The first school was taught by Miss Elizabeth
Hine, daughter of Daniel Hine, Sr., who afterwards
became Mrs. Thaddeus Bradley. It is said that it
did not begin until after the removal of Mr. Hine
to Canfield, and that she was sent for to come back and teach
the school. It was taught in the house built by Mr.
Zebulon Walker on the corner opposite the house of
The log school-house was built in 18— and the next
school-house was a hewed-log house and was built where the house
and store of John Jackson, Esq., stood afterwards.
This second school-house was built for the double purpose of
school and church, and had a stand arranged for the minister's
This settlement, together with all the other new
settlements, experienced some alarm from the war on the frontier
at that time. War was declared January 19, 1812, and
forces were raised by draft for the defense of the frontier.
The militia mustered at that time under Colonel Hayes, of
Hartford. At first both Mr. Hill and
Skinner were drafted, but Mr. Skinner did not
go on account of some lameness. About two months after the
first draft a rumor was set afloat that the enemy were landing
at Cleveland, and all the enrolled men were called out to go
At that time nearly all the able bodied men in the settlement
left. Mr. Daniel Hine was never enrolled in the
militia on account of his broken limb. He, together with
some old men past the age of service, were about all who were
The alarm proving to be false, most of the men went no
farther than Austinburg or Harpersfield, from whence they
returned, but some of them went out to Erie county, to Camp
Avery, near where Milan now stands, and were in the service
about six months. Before this time
Mr. Judson Tyrrell
had come and settled in the township, and was among the
men who remained in the service. Subsequently his brother,
Sherman Tyrrell, came and settled near. The
Dickenson family also were in the township. So
also were the Halsteads, and many others whose history we
are not able to get in full. Some families were brought in
later by relatives or interests already here. A son and daughter
of Captain Johnston, from whom the township was
named, came in. Colonel Walter Johnston in 1828
settled first where Dr. Moore Bradley
afterwards lived, but who subsequently left it for his
brother-in-law, Captain Ebenezer Mix, who
came in later, and Colonel Johnston moved into the
house of his son, Herman Johnston. Captain Mix
died November 21, 1839, aged sixty-three years. His wife,
Sally Mix, died July 27, 1846, aged fifty-six years.
Colonel Johnston died December 2, 1849, aged
sixty-eight years. Mr. George Root, a
brother of Mr. Abell, came into the country early
and took up a lot of land, and returned, but did not come to
take up his residence until eighteen years afterward. In
the interval another brother came to make a permanent home.
About 1830, through the aid of Mr. John Boone, afterwards of
Mecca, a very respectable emigration of Protestant Irish
commenced a settlement in the northwest corner of the township,
and though Mr. Boone himself resided in Youngstown he came,
after a short time, and occupied a farm in the northwest corner
of the township, and as the settlement increased they became
organized into schools and a Methodist society, and afterwards
secured for themselves a good substantial house of worship. The
settlement embraced parts of Gustavus, Greene, and Mecca.
Mrs. Rosier, on the north line of the
township, was there before the settlers came from Ireland.
In the southeast corner of the township commenced a
settlement in 1840. Messrs. Thomas
Tudhope and Alexander Curry were the first
persons of the company who came. The first family from
Scotland was that of Mr. Robert Hamilton. They were
afflicted in crossing the ocean by the loss of a son, whose
mortal remains were consigned to the deep.
Mr. Dewy was in the neighborhood during the time
the first Scotch settlement came. The district was
afterwards almost exclusively Scotch. They established
their school and often had religious worship among them.
They were mostly Presbyterian. While Mr. Dewy
resided in that district, and Mr. Halstead where
Mr. Gomery afterwards lived, and Mr. Van
Aikin where Mr. Stodard afterward lived,
there was a meeting of United Brethren maintained, and also
another class in the northeast, or what was called the Henry
settlement, but their regular appointments have ceased.
ORGANIZATION OF TOWNSHIP.
Johnston was originally embraced in a poll district with Vernon,
Hartford, and Fowler, elections being held in Hartford in the
Hayes neighborhood. Subsequently Mecca and Bazetta were
attached to Johnston, which formed a new election district.
The first election for the township was held in this township
October 9, 1816, at the house of Abijah Perry,
near the center. Captain Jaqua was made
chairman of the meeting, and Nathan Webb and
Jared Hill judges. The election resulted as
follows: Jared Hill, clerk, Samuel Hine,
Jr., David and John Jackson,
trustees. Mr. Rose and Mr. Dawson,
of Mecca and Bazetta, were among the officers elected.
THE BUSHNELL FAMILY.
NOTES OF SETTLEMENT.
JAMES BRADLEY and family
were the first settlers of Johnston township. Mr.
Bradley was born in Connecticut June 18, 1755, died March 3,
181 7. His wife, Asenath Bird, was born June
10, 1752, in Connecticut, and died June 10, 1832. They had three
children — Thaddeus, Dr. M. B., and Dr. Ariel.
Bradley was the first settled physician in Johnston
township. Thaddeus Bradley was born in
Vermont February ii, 1787, died October 7, 1865. He
married Elizabeth Hine. She was born in
Connecticut February 16, 1790, and died February 13, 1867.
They had a family of six children — Mary, James D., Dr. Moor
C, Lester, Timothy, and Myron. James D. Bradley,
the son of Thaddeus and Elizabeth Bradley,
was born March 14, 1817, died March 11, 1875. He married
February 8, 1859, Laura A. Minor, born February 17, 1831.
They have two children—Frank T. and Dudley A.
Dr. Moore Bird Bradley, the
second child of James and Asenath Bradley, was born in
Vermont, May 2, 1790, died February 16, 1841. He was the
father of eight children. Dr. Ariel Bradley, the
third child of James and Asenath Bradley, was born in
Vermont in July, 1792; died in Johnston township October 7,
1859. He came to Ohio with his parents at the age of nine
years, where he lived until his death. He studied medicine and
was the first practitioner in Johnston township. He was
married in 1828 to Laura L. Barstow, daughter of Joseph
and Betsey Barstow, both natives of Sharon, Connecticut. Laura
was born in 1809, in Norway, New York, and came to Ohio with her
parents in 1818 and settled in Johnston township where she still
lives. Her father was born in 1781, October 2, died at the
age of eighty-eight years. Her mother was born in 1787, died
aged seventy-seven years. Ariel and Laura
Bradley had one child, Reumah, born in March, 1829,
died in 1854. She married Buell Pelton. They
had two daughters, Emma A., and Reumah. Emma
was born in June, 1851. Reumah was born in 1853.
Ariel Bradley served in the War of 181 2. Mrs.
Bradley was one of a family of eight, as follows:
John, Laura, Wallace, Samuel, Emma, Mary A., Adaline, and
one that died in infancy.
GEORGE ROOT was born in
Connecticut, 1789, died 1869. He came to Ohio in a very
early day and purchased land in Johnston township. He
returned to Connecticut and married Mary Johnston, born
1799, died 1853. They had nine children, all dead but
three. Mr. and Mrs. Root were members of the
Congregational church. Shortly after their settlement
their little log hut was burned and they were left without
shelter in the wilderness. Eunice C, the second
child, was born in 181 9, in Connecticut, and came to Ohio with
her parents and married in 1842, Giles L. Day, son of
Giles and Hannah
Day. He was horn October 30, 1815, in Vermont, and
came to Ohio with his parents. He died April 1, 1S79,
after a lingering illness of twelve years. They had six
children. Maty R., deceased, Emma A., Cornelia R.,
Elvia V., Alvira, and Mary L. Mr. Day
was lieutenant of the home guard. He was a member of the
Disciple church for a number of years, then took up the faith of
Spiritualism. His parents came to Ohio about the year
1829. They had a family of eleven children. Giles
L. and Eunice C. Day have six grandchildren.
HEZEKIAH GREEN was born in
Maryland in 1801, died in 1879. He married in 1828
Comfort Burnett, born in Hubbard township in 1804, the first
white child born in Hubbard township; is still living.
They had seven children. Seth, the second child, was born
in 1832, and came to Johnston township with his parents in 1836.
He married in 1860 Miss Sophia Skinner,
daughter of Sherman and Betsey Skinner.
She was born in Johnston township in 1840. They had four
children, Carrie, Lydia, Harley and Arba.
Mr. Green is a farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Green
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs.
Green's grandparents, James and Nancy
Skinner, were the first settlers in Johnston township.
They came from Connecticut. Mr. Skinner was loved
and esteemed by every one that knew him.
EELLS came to
Johnston township, Ohio, in March, 1827, and was soon employed
to labor as a minister of the gospel. He enjoyed the
privilege to live in the pious family of Deacon Nathan
Webb. The house for public worship was constructed
of hewed logs and stood on the northwest corner of the land in
the center of the town. In this house he officiated twice
on the Sabbath and attended a prayer-meeting in the house of a
member of the church in the course of the week. He was
influenced to locate in this locality on account of an expected
donation of fifty acres of land, situated in Mecca, belonging to
William Ely. This land, which he received,
together with fifty acres obtained at a vendue sale, was a great
pecuniary help to him. He visited the families and took a
census of the town, and at that time there were sixty families.
He was to some extent engaged in the instruction of the young,
and prepared three young men to enter the Western Reserve
college, at Hudson. In addition to a subscription for the
support of his work in Fowler, where he was also engaged to
preach, assistance was furnished by a missionary society in
Massachusetts. Mr. Eells says the church furnished
suitable accommodations for him to live in a married state, and
that a good Providence provided a suitable person for his wife,
and they were married by Rev. Harvey Coe, of Vernon. He
attended a meeting of the presbytery of Grand river, was
examined and received as a member. After preaching about
six months he received a call to take the pastoral charge of the
church in Johnston and another in Fowler. The call was
accepted and the installation services were held in Mr.
Robert Morrow's house, Rev. Wells Andrews
preaching the sermon. In 1831 the presbytery appointed him
to attend the general assembly in Philadelphia. .After the
establishment of Oberlin college and young men from that
institution could be obtained to preach, some of the members
were desirous of procuring the services of one of them and Mr.
Eells was dismissed. He accepted an invitation to
preach in other towns and thus continued his ministerial labors.
After fifty years of married life his golden wedding was
celebrated, on which occasion a large number of neighbors and
friends assembled, and pleasant it was to all, and a number of
valuable gifts were presented to the esteemed couple.
TRUMAN BUELL was born in
Litchfield, Connecticut, in 1784; died in 1867. He was
married in 1804 to Nancy Hinman. She was
born in 1785; died in 1866. They had eight children—
George, Ezra, Albert, Alban, David, Lorain, Mary, and
Angeline. George, the oldest son, was born in 1809, in
Litchfield, Connecticut, and died in Johnston December 27, 1869.
He married Mary Halcomb, of Connecticut. She
was born November 28, 1806, and died in Johnston in 1867.
She was the daughter of Amasa and Abigail Halcomb.
George Buell came with his family of four children
to Johnston in 1846. His children were as follows:
Truman S., George P., James K., and Mary L.
James K. was born December 31, 1842, and was married, in
1869, to Susan Moran, daughter of William and Elizabeth
Moran. She was born in Ireland. They have three
children—Georgiana, Mary V., and Carrie M.
Mrs. Susan Buell's parents, William and Elizabeth Moran,
were born in Ireland, Leitrim county. He was born in 1784,
and died in the ninty-seventh year of his age; his wife was born
in 1800, and died in her eightieth year. The had nine
children — John, Alice, Mary A., Robert S., Eliza, Jane,
William B., Francis E., and Susan M. They
settled in Vernon in 1846. Warren Buell was born
August 13, 1800, in Hartford county, Connecticut. He
married, in 1823, Electa Squires, born in 1798 in
Connecticut. They came to Ohio in 1832, and settled in
Johnston township, where they still reside. They had seven
children; six are living, and one died in infancy Daniel W.,
Harvey L., Wayne, Zenas W., Norris L., Celestia A. Mr. Buell
is a blacksmith. Harvey L., the second child, was
born in Connecticut in 1827, and came to Ohio with his parents.
He was married April 23, 1862, to Elizabeth M. Tennant,
daughter of William H. and Elizabeth Tennant, born in
Scotland, May 25, 1845. They have one daughter, Lizzie,
born in 1869. Mr. Buell is a general farmer,
and has a farm of fifty acres. William Buell, son
of Norman and Emily Buell, was born
in 1823, in Connecticut. He came to Ohio in 1841, and
settled in Portage county, where he resided until 1851, then
moved to Johnston township. He married, in 1848,
Harriet Curtis, of Geauga county, Ohio, born in 1825.
They have four children—Charles L., Mora (deceased),
Ida, Franklin, and Frederick. Mr.
Buell follows the lumber business. Mr. and Mrs. Buell
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
was a native of Ireland, born in 1732, emigrated to Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1760; was a Revolutionary
soldier; married in 1762, Margaret Corrnehan, and had a
family of nine children, three boys and six girls, named as
follow: Robert, William, and Isaac; Jenny, Betsey,
Nancy, Mary, Margaret, and Dorcas, all of whom lived
to be married and raise families, except William, who
lived in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, until 1814, when he
moved to Millersburg, Holmes county, Ohio, where he died in
1817, at the age of eighty-five years.
ISSAC MILLER, deceased,
son of Matthew Miller,
was born in Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania,
February 8, 1798; was married to Sophia Dabney,
January 26, 1819; moved to Holmes county, Ohio, where he lived
thirteen years, thence moved to Youngstown, Mahoning county, in
January, 1832. May 1, 1850, he moved to Farmington, Trumbull
county, and resided there until November, 1854, and then moved
to Johnston township, where he died April 2, 1875. He had
a family of seven sons and five daughters: John, Lucinda,
Robert, Nathaniel G., Margaret Mary, Elizabeth, Ebenezer D.,
William (first), Sophia, Catherine E., William (second), and
Isaac J. Four are living and married; six died in childhood,
and one in California in 1851, aged twenty-one years. Nathaniel
G. was married to Maria Reader about 1848;
lived in Bristol township, Trumbull county, and died at the age
of thirty-four years; had a family of four boys, viz: Isaac
Jefferson, Frank R., Charles, Clinton; three of whom
are married and one single. Lucinda Miller
was married to Jared Housel September 6, 1839, and
lives in Farmington; has had a family of six children, five
living and married, viz: Mary Jane, Isaac, George A.,
Sophia, and Ira. Sylvanus died in the Union army at
the age of nineteen years. Margaret Miller
was married to Ephraim Boon, and since then has
lived in Gustavus township; has a family of three children,
namely: Addie, Miller, and Thomas, of whom
Addie and Thomas are married, and Miller
is deceased. Catherine E. Miller was married to Frank
B. Wood, August, 1857, and since has lived in Johnston
township; 0has a family of three girls, one married and two
single—Orissa A., Edna I., Maud E. Isaac J. Miller was
married to Ella M. Fairchild, October 5, 1870, and has
since resided in Johnston township, Trumbull county. He
has a family of four children, as follow: Jay E., Katie E.,
Arvine D., Isaac J. The occupation of the sons and
sons-in-law of the subject of this sketch is farming.
BARTLETT, born in
Plimpton, Plymouth county, Massachusetts, June 12, 1793, married
Miriam Mason, born in Litchfield county,
Connecticut, in 1795. They resided in Litchfield until
1833, when they removed to Johnston, Trumbull county, Ohio, and
settled where their son Robert now lives, and resided
there until their death. Mr. Bartlett died
in 1S67; Mrs. Bartlett in 1870. They had a
family of five boys and three girls, as follows: Rev. P. M.
Bartlett, president of Marysville (Tennessee) college;
Jerusha (Jackson) deceased ; Lucius, now in
Warren; Rev. Alexander M., professor of Greek and Latin
in Marysville college; Mary E. (Leroy) in Kansas; Emma
C. (Root), and Robert A., on the home place in Johnston, and
S. F., in Warren.
SELLECK was born in
Salisbury, Connecticut, in 1805, and came to Ohio in 1828 and
settled in Johnston township. He married Lucia
Landon, born in Salisbury in 1805, died in 1871. They
had a family of two daughters, Samantha (deceased), and
Harriet. Mr. and Mrs. Selleck are members of
the Congregational church, being among the founders of the
Congregational society of Johnston. Mr. Selleck is a
W. BRINSMADE was
born in Salisbury, Connecticut, in 1809. He came to Ohio
in 1850 with his family, and settled in Medina county. He
married Maria E. Lockwood, born June 12, 1813, died
November 28, 1875. They had a family of nine children,
viz: A. F., Alonzo L., Charles P., George E., Almira P.,
Frances M., Wesley H., and two that died in infancy. A.
F. Brinsmade was born in 1834, in Salisbury, Connecticut,
and came to Ohio with his parents and married Harriet S.
Selleck. He is a farmer.
DANIEL HINE was born in
Litchfield county, Connecticut, in 1777; died in 1859. He
married Laura Finney, who was born in Connecticut
in 1779, and died in 1850. They came to Trumbull county
and settled in Johnston township. They brought with them
two children — Josiah and Wealthy. The
remainder were born in Ohio, their names being Lester,
Niram, Chancy, and Lucinda. Mr.
Hine was married again in 1852 to Mary Palmer,
who was born in 1785, and died in 1870. Mr.
and Mrs. Hine were members of the first
Congregational church. He was a farmer. His parents
and four brothers followed him to Ohio. Lester, the third
child, was born in Johnston township January 3, 1809. He
was married in 1860 to Eliza Bradley, who was born
in Connecticut, and died in 1864. Mr. Hine
is a farmer. Josiah Hine was born May 23, 1803,
and died July 26, 1879. He was married March 5, 1848, to
Desire B. Pitcher. She was born January 27, 1822,
in Norwich, Connecticut, and came with her parents to Ohio in
1846, and settled in Johnston township. They had five
children, three of whom are living. The first and second
were twins, born in 1848, both now deceased. George, born
in 1850, resides in Colorado; Mary E., born in 1852,
resides at home; Daniel E., born in 1860, resides at
ABIEL CRAM was born in New
Hampshire in 1802, July 30th. His parents moved to Vermont and
in 1817 came to Ohio, and settled in Monroe township, Ashtabula
county, and in 1819 moved to Pennsylvania, where he was married,
in 1827, to Sarah Madlam. She was born in
Pennsylvania in 1810, and in 1865 came to Ohio and settled in
Johnston township. They had eight children; two died in
infancy, two in youth: Mary, John, Horace,
Sarah, Hannah, Nancy. John
died in the army, shot May 21, 1861; was m company L, Sixteenth
Pennsylvania cavalry. The first, third, and fourth are
living. Mr. Cram was a farmer. He died
June 21, 1878. His wife survives him. They were
members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Horace,
the third child, was born September 30, 1832, in Pennsylvania.
He married in 1858 Nancy Duffield. She was born in
1828, July 30. They have two children, William A.
and Sarah E. Mr. Cram is a farmer. They are
members of the Methodist Protestant church.
DAVID AILING, a native of
Connecticut, married Clementine Judd, of Connecticut.
They came to Ohio in a very early day and settled in Vienna
township, and afterwards moved to Johnston township. They
had seven children. Edward, the second child, was born in
Connecticut in 1807, He married Charlotte Roberts,
born in Connecticut in 1811. They have three children,
Luther, Lucius, and Charley. Mr. and Mrs. Ailing are
members of the Congregational church. He is a
general farmer. Luther, the first child, was born in
Johnston township in 1833. He married in 1854 Miss Jane
Moran, daughter of Francis and Bridget
Moran, born in Ireland in 1832. They have four children,
Augustus, Estella, Frank,' and Alvia. Mr. Ailing is in
the saw-mill business, and also manufacturing pumps.
MILLIKIN was born in county
Leitrim, Ireland, on the i6th day of May, in the year 1816; died
in Johnston in the year 1875, December 19th. He came to
America in 1831, and in 1842 married Tamar Clark,
daughter of John and Mary Clark. She
was born in Pennsylvania December 4, 1818, and came to Ohio in
1840 and in 1842 came to Johnston township. They have a
family of eight children, all living: George R., John
C, Thomas J., Richard, James T., Charles W., Allen, and Mary E.
Mr. and Mrs. Millikin are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church. He was a farmer; held the office of township
trustee for several years.
JAMES CURRIE was born in
Scotland, where he died leaving a wife and nine children, who
came to America in 1845, ^^'^ settled in Johnston township,
Trumbull county. Mrs. Currie's maiden name was Marian
Hamilton. The children were Catharine, Margaret,
Alexander, Ellen, Marian, Jeannette, John, James, Isabelle.
Alexander and James reside in Johnston township and are
unmarried. They follow farming on a farm of two hundred
and forty-one acres. Alexander was born August 29,
1822, and James
in 1835. They are extensive sheep raisers.
REUBEN MOWREY was born in
Connecticut in 1753, and died in Gustavus township in 1841.
He married Lucy Couch, born in 1755, died in 1839;
they had ten children. Isaac, the youngest child,
was born May 9, 1800, and came to Ohio with his parents in 1812.
He married Betsey Pelton, born August 22, 1803.
They had ten children. Eunice, the fifth child, was born
September 11, 1832, in Gustavus township, and married in 1854
T. A. Bradley. They have one child, Mary P.,
born May 20, 1867. They reside in Johnston township.
* A maker of cloth, formerly used.
TABLE OF CONTENTS >