This township formerly
known as Westfield, contains 16,500 acres. It was purchased
from the Connecticut Land company by Samuel Fowler, of
Westfield, Massachusetts, and sold to settlers under his direction.
Titus Brockway was granted power of attorney to dispose of
10,000 acres. Abner Fowler, brother of the proprietor,
in consideration of services rendered in surveying this land,
received 100 acres at the center of the township.
The township was purchased by Mr. Fowler in
1798, for less than fifty cents per acre.
In 1806 Fowler was included in the Vernon election
district, which was organized that year. In 1807 it was set
apart as a distinct township and election precinct.
Fowler is a good farming region. Its soil is
mostly a fertile clayey loam. The surface is generally
slightly undulating. The western part of the township is
drained by two small creeks which flow westward into Mosquito creek.
Branches of Yankee creek form the watercourses of the eastern half.
Fowler center, a neat and enterprising little village,
is situated about one mile west of Fowler station. Tyrrell
Hill, a lively growing little place, is on the southern township
line, about one mile from the corner of Fowler and Hartford.
The Youngstown branch of the Lake Shore railroad passes northward
through the eastern half of the township.
Fowler is the fifth township of the second range, and
is bounded on the north by Johnston on the east by Hartford, on the
south by Vienna, and on the west by Bazetta.
In 1880 this township produced 6,187 bushels of wheat,
76 bushels of 4ye, 38 bushels of buckwheat, 16,924 bushels of oats,
13,547 bushels of corn, 2,950 tons of hay, 213 bushels of flax seed,
23,746 pounds of butter, 272,970 pounds of cheese, and in 1881,
12,437 pounds of maple sugar, and 691 gallons of maple syrup.
Fowler was the first settler. The first cabin was built by
him in the spring of 1799, and stood on the site of the public
square a little northeast of the cross-roads. Mr. Fowler's
wife had died before he left Massachusetts and he lived along in his
pioneer dwelling until other settlers arrived. The Fowlers
were descendants of one of the oldest of New England families and
several of them were prominent both in the affairs of their native
State and of the Nation. Abner Fowler acted as advance
agent, or as a solicitor of settlers, and it was principally through
his influence that the first families of the township were induced
to locate here. Mr. Fowler lived to see his settlement
fairly started and the foundations of permanent improvement laid.
He died in 1806. This was the first death that occurred in the
township. His body rests in the old graveyard at the center.
Only two of Abner Fowler's children settled here.
Abner, Jr., came out in 1805, and Chester in 1806 or
1807. The first marriage ceremony was performed in August,
1807, in uniting Abner Fowler, Jr., and Esther Jennings.
They were married by Titus Brockway, Esq., of
Hartford. The wedding took place at the house of Wakeman
Silliman in Fowler. Abner moved to Brookfield in
1816 and there ended his days. Chester
passed the most of his life in Fowler and died in Hartford.
The first family in the
township was that of Levi Foote, from Westfield,
Massachusetts. Lydia Foote, daughter of Levi and
Milly (Allen) Foote, was the first white child born in the
township. Her birth took place July 5, 1805. She died
Apr. 21, 1881. The Foote family was quite large.
Levi Foote's mother was Miss Bathsheba Burr, a relative
of Aaron Burr. She was born in Granby, Connecticut, in
1755, and lived to be one hundred years old, lacking five days.
She was married three times. Her first husband was Asa
Foote, her second Isaac Flower, and her third a Mr.
Thompson. She died and was buried in Vienna.
Auntie Thompson, as she was long familiarly called, experienced
many of the hardships of pioneer life. It is said that the
first wolf killed by a settler of Fowler was brought down by a gun
in her hands. Her husband was absent when the hungry beast
visited the pig pen and was bold and voracious enough to seize one
of the little porkers in midday. When this fact was made
known to Auntie Thompson, she seized a gun and fired.
The wolf fell and was then carried to her doorstep by herself and
thought to be dead, but to make sure of her work the wolf was struck
with a club. This brought it to consciousness and it sprang to
its feet and would have been of had she not hurriedly dispatched it.
Mrs. Thompson spent the last years of her life at the home of
Dexter Clinton, near Vienna center.
Only five families settled in the township before 1805.
These were the families of Levi Foote, already mentioned;
Lemuel Barnes, who lived one-half mile north of the center;
John Morrow, at the center; Hillman Fisher,
and Drake, who lived on the ridge.
In 1806 seven families arrived from Connecticut, having
left that State in the fall of the same year. A month or six
weeks later they arrived in New Connecticut. These emigrants
were Elijah Tyrrell and wife, nee Clarissa Meeker,
with her brother, Justice, Daniel, Lyman, and William
Meeker; John Vaughn and Wakeman Silliman. They all
settled in the southeast of the township in the vicinity of Tyrrell
Hill or Tyrrell corners.
The company first halted at
the house of Joel Hummason, in Vienna, and the women and
children remained there, while the men went forward into Fowler,
cutting roads to their lands to build cabins. This work
completed the families took up their abode upon the farms which they
afterwards improved, and where most of them lived and died.
Elijah Tyrrell built
his house at the corners, on the northwest of the same. The
lot lines were established a few years later and the place has been
called Tyrrells corners and Tyrrell Hill ever since.
The corners are one mile north of the Vienna line.
Justice Meeker built
his house one-half mile north of the corners; Wakeman
Silliman, a few rods further north; Lyman Meeker,
three-fourths of a mile north, and his brother Daniel on the
opposite side of the road. William Meeker settled half
a mile south of Mr. Tyrrell's and John Vaughn one-half
Miss Esther Jennings, afterwards Mrs. Abner
Fowler, was one of this party of settlers, and soon after the
families were established in their homes taught school - the first
in the township - in the cabin of Wakeman Silliman.
This cabin stood on the bank of Yankee creek - a stream named after
the Yankee settlement made in its vicinity.
John Kingsley was one of the pioneers, and for
many years was an honored citizen. He died in 1856 at the age
of seventy-three. He was the first justice of the peace in
The family of Matthias Gates was also in the
township quite early. Later they removed to Hartford.
Elijah Tyrrell built the largest and most
substantial cabin in that day. It was built of small logs,
18x24 feet, chinked and daubed with mud. The roof was made of
clapboards, split out of oak logs, three and one-half feet long, and
from six to eight inches wide. These were laid double and held
down by weight poles. The upper floor of this cabin was made
of the same material; the lower or first floor was made of logs
about eight feet long. These logs were split from four to six
inches in thickness, and hewed on the upper side. The windows
consisted of mere holes cut in the sides of the cabin, with upright
and horizontal sticks placed across for sash, and over the whole of
this net-work was pasted oiled white paper through which light was
admitted. The door, rudely constructed, was hung by means of
two large wooden hinges reaching across the door and pinned on with
wooden pins. The hook or pin upon which the hinge played was
of wood also. Neither nail nor spike was used in the
construction of the building. The bedsteads were made in the
corners of the rooms with one post for each bed, made of a round
stick two and a half feet high, with two holes bored through it, one
above the other and at right angles. Also two holes bored in
the logs of the house, and poles placed in these holes, reaching
from post to house logs. These posts formed the bed rails, and
for bed cords hichory withes were used, laid across or stretched
from side to side. The tables were made of four small poles,
in pairs, crossed, which formed the legs. Through the center
of each of these pair of legs a pole the length of the table was
put, and then on top a puncheon was pinned fast for a leaf. In
this way their tables were made, somewhat clumsily, to be sure, but
very solid and durable.
The chairs were also of an odd construction, and were
made of blocks of wood; in short the furniture was in every respect
of the simplest manufacturer, and was made more for the use than for
ornament. Their knives, forks, spoons, plates, and dishes were
very limited as to number. These time, however, did not last
long, for about the year 1807 Justice Meeker built a shop, in
which he put his lathe, the only one then and for a long time
afterwards used in the township. This lathe had a spring-pole
fastened over head, with a buckskin string connecting the two, by
which the motive power was communicated. With this machinery
many and valuable were the articles manufactured, especially the
wooden plates, bowls, spoons, and wooden dishes, also wooden knives
and forks. The best of timber, generally maple, was used in
the manufacture of these articles. These vessels were used for
various purposes, in short, for as many purposes as the culinary art
of that early day required.
In 1805 Hillman and Daniel Meeker were in
the township before they moved their families, and at that time
commenced the building of a saw-mill, but did not complete it until
1807, when the mill was put in operation, and from that time on the
neighbors could secure boards instead of puncheons for their floors,
and for many other purposes. This mill was the first one in
the township. It was situated one-half mile north of the
corners, and one half mile east on Yankee creek. The stream
becoming turbulent washed out the dam before the mill was set to
Groceries were hard to obtain in those days.
Sometimes the neighbors would take their rifles and ox teams and go
to Youngstown. These trips were not particularly dangerous,
save for the troublesome wolves, that kept the men awake at night,
and on guard, to protect themselves and their property. Salt
was at that time worth $25 per barrel, and other necessaries for
life were proportionally high and hard to obtain. In 1807
Harvey Hungerford built a flowering mill on the north side of
Yankee creek, on land subsequently owned by Milo Dugan,
which was the first flouring-mill in the township. It was
built on the south end of the dam of Meeker's sawmill.
Ebenezer Barnes made the mill-stones out of large bowlder found
in the woods, one half mile west of Tyrrell Hill, or about two miles
from the mill. Justice Meeker was the miller at that
Some time previous ELIJAH
TYRRELL had increased
the size of his blacksmith shop and was by this time largely
increasing his business; in fact, the corners was becoming widely
known. A saw-mill, a grist mill, and a blacksmith shop being
located here, drew custom from many of the townships, and even from
Youngstown and other points. In 1812 Abijah Tyrrell
moved to the township, and at first lived with his twin brother
Elijah, until he could build himself a house, and went with
Elijah Tyrrell's son, Asahel, now a resident of
Tyrrell Hill, into the blacksmith shop. In this shop,
which partook somewhat of the character of a machine shop, they
manufactured plows, shares, axes, scythes, shaving knives, hoes,
chains, etc. The Tyrrells made the first scythes
manufactured in Trumbull county, and were largely patronized in this
branch of industry until a Mr. Parker, of Kinsman, started up
a scythe factory, that was run by water-power, by which the cost of
manufacture was so much reduced that the Tyrrells
discontinued their business.
In 1807 Rev. Joseph Badger, the noted pioneer
missionary, visited the settlement and preached the first sermon.
About this time Seth and Enoch Perkins arrived
and settled one mile west of Tyrrell Hill. Enoch Perkins
soon after his arrival married Clarissa Barnes. This
was probably the second wedding in the township.
Two settlers, Richard Houlton and Joseph
Pittman, came in 1808. They built their cabins within a
few rods of each other in the southern part of the township, dug a
well, cleared some land, and after living here three or four years
gave up pioneer life and returned to their former homes.
Houlton, however, afterwards returned and settled in another
part of the township. Solomon Dundee and Abraham
Farrow came to Fowler with these men and became permanent
settlers. They located east of Tyrrell corners.
Other early corners in the township made a few
improvements, but becoming weary of life in the woods or discouraged
by hardships, returned to civilization. Only stout hearts and
determined spirits can endure the life of a pioneer.
Alfred Bronson settled at Tyrrell's corners in
1812, and for many years was a local preacher of the Methodist
church. He is still living and resides in Prairie du Chien,
Wisconsin. He is now in the ninetieth year of his age.
While he resided in Fowler he was often the orator at Fourth of July
There was a Mr. Stewart at the corners, who
after clearing four or five acres and building a house already to
raise, suddenly left and never came back. This property was
afterwards taken by Alfred Bronson, the Methodist preacher.
The property owned by William Meeker, previously mentioned,
was cleared by a settler whose name has passed from recollection -
fenced in part, logs cut and hauled ready for raising a house, when
he suddenly left and never returned. This property, one
hundred acres in all, was one half mile south of the corners.
The next lot south of this, now owned by Asahel Tyrrell, was
at first taken by Hezekiay Reeder, who cleared and fenced
about four acres, planted his garden, raised his house but never
covered it, then left and never returned. This house was on
the bank of a little brook, which has since been called Reeder's
run. Mr. Reeder bought it in 1810, paying at that time
$3 per acre. Mr. Tyrrell bought it in 1824 and paid $5
per acre. He was then thirty-two years of age and is now
seventy-nine years old and has owned it ever since. But since
that time what a change! Then it was all a wilderness; now the
land is all cleared up, and a railroad runs through it within four
rods of where the old Reeder house stood. The depot is
about twenty rods from it. From four to six trains now pass
daily on this road, and some of the land is laid out in village lots
and a number of houses have already been built. Mr. Tyrrell
built a large flouring-mill, a hotel, and a store. There are
also some shops of different kinds, and a nail-keg head factory that
is doing some business.
About the year 1813 John Webster and Newman
Tucker moved into one end of John Vaughn's house, which
stood a little west of the corners. He afterwards built a
house three-fourths of a mile south of the corners on the east side
of the road. Tucker moved into Alfred Bronons
house, while Bronson was out in the army. Tucker
was taken sick, caused by a journey of forty-five days duration
without intermission, except for a single day, and when Preacher
Bronson came home the neighbors turned out (what few had not
gone to the war) and built a brush house for Tucker. It
was built in one day. Four posts were driven at suitable
distances apart in the ground, the other ends being forked, and upon
these forks poles were laid, reaching from one post to the other.
Small poles were also pinned on the sides. Brush was then
collected, and the roof and the sides of the shanty were plaited
with leaves and twigs. The roof was covered with brush.
A blanket was hung over the opening. Into this domicile the
family moved, and lived two months. The Tucker family
consisted of eight persons in all - the two old people and six
children, four boys and two girls. The boys were Charles,
Jabez, William, and John. The girls were Betsy
THE WAR OF 1812.
There were but a few
scattering families at this time in the township, and the militia of
Fowler and Johnston townships was put under the command of
Captain Elijah Terryll. Captain Tyrrell was ordered to
draft one-half of his men, taking every other man in order as the
names stood on the muster roll. This was the order given to
each of the captains in the county. It caused considerable
excitement and hardship, as half of the whole number of able-bodied
men taken at such a time from their midst would leave them is
straitened circumstances. There were nine in number drafted
from Fowler township. Their names were:
Elijah Tyrrell, Alfred Bronson, Hoyt Tyrrell,
Roswell Tyrrell, Isaac
Farrow, Cable Meeker, and three of the Gateses. The
service of these men was not very long, most of them coming home in
three months. Some of the number staid six months.
Roswell Tyrrell re-enlisted. John Gates was killed
in the first engagement he was in.
Up to this time immigration was not very rapid, but
after the war the people began to see better times, and settlers
took up all the land except the swamps.
At late as the year 1826 there was no road passable for
teams, and few settlers from the center of Fowler to the center of
Hartford, and all the travel was done by the way of Tyrrell's
corners from Bazetta, Fowler, and other places north to get to
Hartford, or Burg Hill.
Mr. Asahel Tyrrell, then a mere a boy, usually
went to mill for his father and the neighbors. His trips were
made to Brockway's or to Bentley's, and sometimes to Sharon.
The distance was great for a boy to make, and the wolves sometimes
were so voracious as to cause him some apprehension for his safety.
His father's old white mare which he rode, was the only one in the
In former times the women
spun and wove what clothing was worn, excepting the buckskin
[START ON PAGE 416]
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
THE UNITED BRETHREN
THE DISCIPLES CHURCH.
PHYSICIANS OF FOWLER.
(deceased) was a native of Massachusetts, born Feb. 28, 1800.
He was by occupation a farmer and stock dealer. He was married
Sept. 26, 1820, to Sarah, daughter of John and Hannah
(Irwin) Morrow, natives of Ireland. She was born Feb. 18,
1799, and came to Ohio with her parents in 1804; the family settling
on a place now owned by Mrs. Robert Morrow, She taught
school one or two terms prior to her marriage.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones had ten children, six of whom are living -
Edwin W., a farmer;
Robert, also a farmer and stock dealer; James, now a
resident of New Mexico; Aaron, a resident of Kansas; John
D., and Frank at home. Mr. Jones settled on
a farm one mile north of Fowler center, putting up a log-house.
He died June 4, 1861. He was a member of the Congregational
church (as is also his widow) and was a respected citizen and
successful farmer. Mr. Jones has a farm of fifty-two
ASAHEL TYRRELL was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut,
September 23, 1802; oldest son of Elijah and Clarisa (Meeker)
Tyrrell, of Connecticut. His father was born March 8,
1775, and his mother May 21, 1774. They were married July 23,
1796, and came to Ohio in October 1806, and located at Tyrrell's
corners in Fowler township, Trumbull county. They were among
the pioneers of the county, and worthy ones, too. They raised
a family of eight children, six of whom are living. Elijah
was a blacksmith by trade and also a successful farmer. He
bought one hundred acres and cleared the same, now owned by A. H.
Tyrrell. He was an active Whig. He died April 11,
1848. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his father,
Asahel Tyrrell, was in the Revolutionary War and was killed at
the surrender of Burgoyne, in October, 1777. Asahel Terryll,
the subject of this sketch was a scholar in the first school taught
in Fowler township, taught by Miss Esther Jennings, one of
the original party consisting of seven families that came to the
county with the Tyrrells. The heads of those families
were all uncles of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Tyrrell's
opportunities for obtaining an education were exceedingly limited,
attending school but one month. He assisted his father in the
blacksmith shop and also learned the trade of carpenter and joiner.
He had built a saw-mill of green timber in the woods before coming
of age. He erected a house for his father to compensate him
for eight months of his time before reaching his majority. He
followed building and contracting for some twenty years, erecting
many of the finest residences in Fowler and surrounding townships.
Mr. Tyrrell was first married in 1823, to Lucretia
Webster, by whom he had four children, all living. One
son, A. H., is a well known resident of Fowler township.
Mr. Tyrrell's first wife died November 10, 1871, and he has
since been married twice. His present wife, to whom he was
married February 20, 1875, was Polly Reeder, born in
Connecticut September, 1, 1811. Mr. Tyrrell has always
been active in promoting every public enterprise, was prominent in
the founding of Tyrrell Hill, and has taken an interest in the
building of the railroad and other interests. He was formerly
a Whig, but has been a Republican since the formation of the party.
His home residence was erected in 1840. The farm consists of
one hundred and forty-five acres, and he also owns three hundred and
eighty acres in Vienna and Howland townships.
was born in Fowler township, Trumbull County, Ohio, August 31, 1807.
The Foote family was among the earliest pioneers of the
county, and the fifth family that settled in Fowler township.
Levi Foote, father of Asa, moved with his family into
that township in 1800. He served in the War of 1812. It
is said that Lyda Foote (Barber), who died in the spring of
1880, was the first white female child born in Fowler. Asa
was the oldest son of Levi and Amelia (Allen) Foote, and he
distinctly recollects when the red men roamed through the forests of
Fowler. He married November 12, 1840, Mary Dickinson,
born in Connecticut, April 22, 1817, by whom he had six children.
Levi was a member of the Forty-first Ohio volunteer infantry,
and died in hospital January 23, 1862. Philip M. was a
lawyer by profession; died April 19, 1872. Curtis was a
member of the One Hundred and SEventy-seventh Ohio volunteer
infantry, and died at Nashville, Tennessee, February 27, 1865.
He was married to Orell Baldwin, December 31, 1868.
Lovilla died in infancy. Helen L. is the wife of
L. G. Spencer, of Hartford township, and has two children,
Bennie F. and Byron H. Auriel D., born September
27, 1857, wife of Frank E. Clark, resides on the home place.
Mr. Foote was kicked a number of years ago on the head, by a
horse, and severely injured, thirty pieces of broken bone being
taken out, since which time he has been almost totally deaf.
Mrs. Foote died March 15, 1872.
LEONARD CLARK, son of Abel and Eunice
(Lamphear) Clark, was born in Petersburg, Rensselaer county, New
York, February 27, 1808. His early educational advantages were
limited, yet by self study he acquired a fair education for the
times. He remained at home (but working for others) until he
was twenty years of age. He was a resident of Pittsfield,
Massachusetts, engaged in factory work for seven years.
December 23, 1836, he was untied in marriage to Miss Lucy Olds,
who was born in Middlefield, Massachusetts, January 17, 1813.
The following spring he removed to Ohio and settled upon the place
where he still resides in Fowler township. The land was then
wild, but he rapidly improved the place, supplanting the log house
with his present residence in 1845. The farm is now fully
improved, and comprises two hundred acres, having deeded three farms
to his children. Mr. Clark is a prosperous, self made
man, and a gentleman of literary tastes. He was one of a
family of twenty-two children. One of his brothers, Adam A.,
was a drum major in the War of 1812, and was the celebrated drummer.
Mr. Clark is the father of eight children, of whom six are
living, as follows: Harriet E., born July 29, 1839, now
wife of Emanuel Evarts, of Brookfield township; Leonard,
born March 4, 1841, widow of Abner Viets, living in Fowler
township; Lester A., born June 18, 1843, living on a farm
adjoining the home place; George W., born December 17,
1845, a resident of Hartford township; Sherman S., born
September 26, 1850, at home; Lucy, born November 5, 1852,
wife of Henry Viets, of Fowler township. Since coming
to Ohio Mr. and Mrs. Clark have been members of the Methodist
Episcopal church at Fowler center.
A. I. STEWART
PHINEAS R. TUCKER
N. C. RHODES
GEORGE ALDERMAN was a native of
Brookfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, born in the year 1816. Nov.
1, 1838, he married Mary M.,
daughter of John and Sarah (Webster) Greenwood, born in
Trumbull county, June 21, 1823. Mr. Alderman remained
upon his father's place in Brookfield until the spring of 1842, when
he removed to Fowler township, settling on the place now owned by
G. M. Greenwood, which place he cleared up. He
subsequently resided in Brookfield again a year and a half. In
the Springfield 1856 he removed to the place which is now the family
home. Mr. Alderman was an active, successful business
man and a worthy citizen. He died Nov. 5, 1871. Mr.
and Mrs. Alderman were the parents of seven children, as follow:
Harriet C., born April 25, 1840, now wife of Josiah Medley,
residing in Vienna township; Eliza J., born Dec. 3, 1841,
died Nov. 19, 1957; John S., born on the 22d day of November,
in the year 1843, now of Michigan, married about the year 1869, and
has four children: Erastus S., born Oct. 9, 1848, now
conducting the home farm, married Oct. 3, 1877, to Miss Alice
Thompson, born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, March 11, 1855,
and has one daughter and one son: Della, born Aug. 14, 1878,
and Roscoe, May 5, 1880; Worthy L., died in 1860, at
the age of ten years: Betsey S., born Mar. 12, 1852, wife of
J. L. Kennedy, of Warren; Homer L., born April 2,
1859, also of Warren. After her husband's death Mrs.
Alderman continued to carry on the farm which is now conducted
by her son Erastus. In 1878 he raised on two acres the
unprecedented crop of five hundred and thirty-eight bushels of corn,
in the ear.
SAMUEL M. MEAKER was born in Fowler
township, Trumbull County, Ohio, Apr. 9, 1817. He married, May
8, 1842, Perlia Clark, daughter of Samuel Clark, a
well known citizen of Hartford township. Mrs. Meaker
was born in Southwick, Hampden county, Massachusetts, Jan. 6, 1821.
After his marriage our subject settled in Fowler, on the farm still
owned by his widow, occupying a log house which gave way to the
present residence built in 1850. Only slight improvement had
then been made. The farm consists of one hundred and fifty
acres and is now fully improved. Mr. Meaker was an
industrious, respected citizen, upright in all his dealings.
He served as township trustee one term. He died Nov. 17, 1876,
aged fifty-nine years, seven months and eight days. Mrs.
continued to reside on the home place until 1880, when she purchased
the old Captain Jones' place, in Fowler center, where
she now lives. There was built the first framed house in
Fowler township. Mr. and Mrs. Meaker were the parents
of one son and one daughter - Lucy, born Aug. 11, 1843; died
Oct. 21, 1850, aged seven years, two months, and ten days; Isaac,
born July 11, 1845, a promising, well educated young man, died Oct.
10, 1871, aged twenty-six years, two months, and twenty-nine
days. He attended a college in Cleveland two winters, fitting
himself for a chemist. Mrs. Meaker came to Ohio
with her parents in the winter of 1835, who settled in Hartford
township. There were five children, four of whom are still
living, viz: Mrs. Abner Leonard, Mrs. Orson Trumbull,
and Mrs. Meaker, of Fowler township, and Mrs. Milton
Goddard, of Iowa.
ALPHEUS R. WATERS
SANDFORD L. STEWART
oldest son of Lyman and Lydia (Munson) Alderman, was born in
Brookfield township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Sept. 4, 1820. He
was brought up to farming and remained at home until his marriage,
Jan. 17, 1849, to Annie Hutchins of Hartford township.
By this marriage he has one daughter, May, born May 8, 1850,
and still at home. His first wife died May 17, 1850, and Apr.
21, 1852, he married Miss Margaret Butts, daughter of
Jonathan Butts, an early settler in Brookfield, where Mrs.
Alderman was born May 1, 1826. This union has resulted in
five children, as follow: Homer J., born Jan. 15, 1853,
living in California; Ella F., Apr. 29, 1854, now wife of
Charles Hallock, of Fowler township; Fred A., July 20,
1858; Harry H., May 1, 1868; Maria L., Nov. 28, 1869.
There three last named are at home. Homer J. married Ida
J., daughter of Darius Baldwin. After his marriage
Mr. Alderman settled at Tyrrell Hill, where he remained three
years. He was a resident of Wisconsin a year and a half; was
largely engaged in farming in Brookfield a couple of years.
February, 1858, he located in Fowler center and engaged in the
manufacture of cheese-box, singles and nail-keg heading, in which he
did an extensive business. Mr. Alderman has been
township trustee two terms, clerk two terms, and treasurer seven
terms. He and his wife are members of the Disciple church and
active in Sunday-school work. - pp. 223-224
SIMEON BALDWIN was born in
Youngstown, Ohio, Apr. 17, 1821. His parents were Jacob H.
and Florinda (Waller) Baldwin, natives respectively of New York
and Connecticut. Jacob H. Baldwin was a pioneer of
Mahoning county, settling with his parents in Boardman township
about 1804. He is a prominent citizen. He removed to
Warren in an early day and was county auditor of Trumbull county for
fifteen years, and held other offices. He died in December,
1880. Our subject derived his education of Warren. He
was brought up to farming, and remained at home until his marriage,
in 1849. His wife was Lucy M. Baldwin, widow of
Homer Baldwin and daughter of Richard Gates, an early
settler in Hartford township, where she was born June 9, 1822.
Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin are the parents of two children, one of
whom is living - George L., born Oct. 14, 1859, at present
engaged in school-teaching, and Charles R. born Oct. 14,
1850, and died in infancy. After his marriage Mr. Baldwin
settled in Champion township, where he owned and improved a farm
until 1854, when he removed to Fowler township and settled on the
farm where he now lives, which consists of one hundred acres of land
under a good state of cultivation. Mr. Baldwin is a
Republican in politics and was active in raising recruits during the
SYLVESTER I. RAND
WARREN A. HALL
ADDISON R. SILLIMAN
EZRA S. AMES, oldest child of
Benjamin and Euretta (Shaff) Ames, was born in Jefferson county,
New York, on the 7th of August, 1801. He came to Ohio with his
parents in the spring of the year 1826, the family settling one-half
mile north of his present residence in Fowler township.
Benjamin Ames was a successful farmer, a school-teacher for
several years, and also for several years township clerk. He
reared a family of twelve children, of whom three only are living.
He died in the farm which he had cleared up, about the year 1870,
aged eighty-four. His wife died Mar. 1, 1878, aged eighty-six.
Mr. Ames was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was stationed
at Sackett's Harbor. Ezra S. Ames was brought up upon a
farm and enjoyed such educational opportunities - limited enough -
as were to be had in that day. He married Dec. 4, 1834,
Catherine Campbell, born Feb. 5, 1807. After his marriage
he remained on the old home place one summer, removing to his
present residence in the spring of 1836. His first wife died
Mar. 17, 1873, and on Aug. 18, 1874, Mr. AMes married in
present wife, Phila H. Stocking, born in Connecticut Apr. 2,
1836. He is the father, by his first wife, of three sons, only
one now living, to-wit: William C., born Aug. 22, 1837,
died Apr. 14, 1873; he married Nov. 26, 1863, Lozetta H. Patch,
and had two children. Horace B., born June 14, 1840,
enlisted in the Forty-first Ohio volunteer infantry Sept. 4, 1861,
and was killed at Pittsburg Landing, his first battle, Apr. 7, 1862.
Cyrus D., born Feb. 10, 1842, is a well known farmer of
Fowler township. He married in 1875 Ellen Hoover.
Mr. Ames, the subject of this sketch, has been township
trustee some five or six years. During the Rebellion he was
active in raising the quota. Mr. Ames is a member of
the Congregational church.
DAVID M. BUTTS
AUSTIN N. SILLIMAN
ISAAC A. SMITH
ORLIN H. HAYES
LEWIS G. LAMPSON
F. HALLOCK was born Mar. 19, 1838, in Fowler township,
Trumbull county, Ohio, youngest son of George and Phebe Hallock,
of Long Island, New York. George Hallock was born Nov.
23, 1798, and emigrated to the Reserve in the early years of the
present century, locating in Brookfield township, Trumbull county,
Ohio. He was engaged in mercantile business in Brookfield, and
for two or three years subsequent to his removal to Fowler center.
He located on the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch about
the year 1836, where he spent the balance of his life. The
place was then unimproved with the exception of a log house and a
small clearing. He died Apr. 18, 1870. He was a man well
and favorably known throughout this region, and of more than
ordinary energy of character. Was justice of the peace one or
more terms. As a celebration July 4, 1824, held at Hartford,
he was the orator of the day. His widow still resides on the
home place, vigorous in mind and body. Charles Hallock
remained at home until of age, when he took charge of a cheese
factory at Fowler center, which he conducted successfully some ten
years. He was married in 1872 to Miss Ella, daughter of
Lewis Alderman, born Apr. 29, 1854, and has one son, Asel
J., born July 13, 1877. After his marriage he located upon
the home place, where he still resides. - p. 428
youngest son of John and Sally (Tanner) Belford, was born in
Fowler township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Aug. 15, 1839. Mrs.
Belford was a daughter of William Tanner, an early
settler of Fowler. She died Jan. 5, 1869. She made her
home with her son, the subject of this sketch, during the latter
years of her life. At fifteen Noah was thrown upon his
own resources. At the age of eighteen he learned the carpenter
trade; he continued that trade some eighteen years, during which
time he has built many fine buildings in Fowler and elsewhere.
In the fall of 1873 Mr. Belford purchased the Tyrrell Hill
flouring mills, which had not been used as a mill for some years.
He enlarged and remodeled the building, putting in modern machinery,
including a new engine and boiler, and doing an extensive business.
- p. 429
LESTER A. CLARK
E. J. FORWARD
END OF CHAPTER
TABLE OF CONTENTS >