A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy

 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Pg. 411

     This township formerly known as Westfield, contains 16,500 acres.  It was purchased from the Connecticut Land company by Samuel Fowler, of Westfield, Massachusetts, and sold to settlers under his direction.  Titus Brockway was granted power of attorney to dispose of 10,000 acres.  Abner Fowler, brother of the proprietor, in consideration of services rendered in surveying this land, received 100 acres at the center of the township.
     The township was purchased by Mr. Fowler in 1798, for less than fifty cents per acre.
     In 1806 Fowler was included in the Vernon election district, which was organized that year.  In 1807 it was set apart as a distinct township and election precinct.
     Fowler is a good farming region.  Its soil is mostly a fertile clayey loam.  The surface is generally slightly undulating.   The western part of the township is drained by two small creeks which flow westward into Mosquito creek.  Branches of Yankee creek form the watercourses of the eastern half.
     Fowler center, a neat and enterprising little village, is situated about one mile west of Fowler station.  Tyrrell Hill, a lively growing little place, is on the southern township line, about one mile from the corner of Fowler and Hartford.  The Youngstown branch of the Lake Shore railroad passes northward through the eastern half of the township.
     Fowler is the fifth township of the second range, and is bounded on the north by Johnston on the east by Hartford, on the south by Vienna, and on the west by Bazetta.
     In 1880 this township produced 6,187 bushels of wheat, 76 bushels of 4ye, 38 bushels of buckwheat, 16,924 bushels of oats, 13,547 bushels of corn, 2,950 tons of hay, 213 bushels of flax seed, 23,746 pounds of butter, 272,970 pounds of cheese, and in 1881, 12,437 pounds of maple sugar, and 691 gallons of maple syrup.


     Abner Fowler was the first settler.  The first cabin was built by him in the spring of 1799, and stood on the site of the public square a little northeast of the cross-roads.  Mr. Fowler's wife had died before he left Massachusetts and he lived along in his pioneer dwelling until other settlers arrived.  The Fowlers were descendants of one of the oldest of New England families and several of them were prominent both in the affairs of their native State and of the Nation.  Abner Fowler acted as advance agent, or as a solicitor of settlers, and it was principally through his influence that the first families of the township were induced to locate here.  Mr. Fowler lived to see his settlement fairly started and the foundations of permanent improvement laid.  He died in 1806.  This was the first death that occurred in the township.  His body rests in the old graveyard at the center.
     Only two of Abner Fowler's children settled here.  Abner, Jr., came out in 1805, and Chester in 1806 or 1807.  The first marriage ceremony was performed in August, 1807, in uniting Abner Fowler, Jr., and Esther Jennings.  They were married by Titus Brockway, Esq., of Hartford.  The wedding took place at the house of Wakeman Silliman in Fowler.  Abner moved to Brookfield in 1816 and there ended his days.  Chester passed the most of his life in Fowler and died in Hartford.
     The first family in the township was that of Levi Foote, from Westfield, Massachusetts.  Lydia Foote, daughter of Levi and Milly (Allen) Foote, was the first white child born in the township.  Her birth took place July 5, 1805.  She died Apr. 21, 1881.  The Foote family was quite large.  Levi Foote's mother was Miss Bathsheba Burr, a relative of Aaron Burr.  She was born in Granby, Connecticut, in 1755, and lived to be one hundred years old, lacking five days.  She was married three times.  Her first husband was Asa Foote, her second Isaac Flower, and her third a Mr. Thompson.  She died and was buried in Vienna.  Auntie Thompson, as she was long familiarly called, experienced many of the hardships of pioneer life.  It is said that the first wolf killed by a settler of Fowler was brought down by a gun in her hands.  Her husband was absent when the hungry beast visited the pig pen and was bold and voracious enough to seize one of the little porkers in midday.   When this fact was made known to Auntie Thompson, she seized a gun and fired.  The wolf fell and was then carried to her doorstep by herself and thought to be dead, but to make sure of her work the wolf was struck with a club.  This brought it to consciousness and it sprang to its feet and would have been of had she not hurriedly dispatched it.  Mrs. Thompson spent the last years of her life at the home of Dexter Clinton, near Vienna center.
     Only five families settled in the township before 1805.  These were the families of Levi Foote, already mentioned; Lemuel Barnes, who lived one-half mile north of the center; John Morrow, at the center; Hillman Fisher, and Drake, who lived on the ridge.
     In 1806 seven families arrived from Connecticut, having left that State in the fall of the same year.  A month or six weeks later they arrived in New Connecticut.  These emigrants were Elijah Tyrrell and wife, nee Clarissa Meeker, with her brother, Justice, Daniel, Lyman, and William Meeker; John Vaughn and Wakeman Silliman.  They all settled in the southeast of the township in the vicinity of Tyrrell Hill or Tyrrell corners.
     The company first halted at the house of Joel Hummason, in Vienna, and the women and children remained there, while the men went forward into Fowler, cutting roads to their lands to build cabins.  This work completed the families took up their abode upon the farms which they afterwards improved, and where most of them lived and died.
     Elijah Tyrrell built his house at the corners, on the northwest of the same.  The lot lines were established a few years later and the place has been called Tyrrells corners and Tyrrell Hill ever since.  The corners are one mile north of the Vienna line.
     Justice Meeker built his house one-half mile north of the corners;  Wakeman Silliman, a few rods further north; Lyman Meeker, three-fourths of a mile north, and his brother Daniel on the opposite side of the road.  William Meeker settled half a mile south of Mr. Tyrrell's and John Vaughn one-half mile east.
     Miss Esther Jennings, afterwards Mrs. Abner Fowler, was one of this party of settlers, and soon after the families were established in their homes taught school - the first in the township - in the cabin of Wakeman Silliman.  This cabin stood on the bank of Yankee creek - a stream named after the Yankee settlement made in its vicinity.
     John Kingsley was one of the pioneers, and for many years was an honored citizen.  He died in 1856 at the age of seventy-three.  He was the first justice of the peace in Fowler.
     The family of Matthias Gates was also in the township quite early.  Later they removed to Hartford.
     Elijah Tyrrell built the largest and most substantial cabin in that day.  It was built of small logs, 18x24 feet, chinked and daubed with mud.  The roof was made of clapboards, split out of oak logs, three and one-half feet long, and from six to eight inches wide.  These were laid double and held down by weight poles.  The upper floor of this cabin was made of the same material; the lower or first floor was made of logs about eight feet long.  These logs were split from four to six inches in thickness, and hewed on the upper side.  The windows consisted of mere holes cut in the sides of the cabin, with upright and horizontal sticks placed across for sash, and over the whole of this net-work was pasted oiled white paper through which light was admitted.  The door, rudely constructed, was hung by means of two large wooden hinges reaching across the door and pinned on with wooden pins.  The hook or pin upon which the hinge played was of wood also.  Neither nail nor spike was used in the construction of the building.  The bedsteads were made in the corners of the rooms with one post for each bed, made of a round stick two and a half feet high, with two holes bored through it, one above the other and at right angles.  Also two holes bored in the logs of the house, and poles placed in these holes, reaching from post to house logs.  These posts formed the bed rails, and for bed cords hichory withes were used, laid across or stretched from side to side.  The tables were made of four small poles, in pairs, crossed, which formed the legs.  Through the center of each of these pair of legs a pole the length of the table was put, and then on top a puncheon was pinned fast for a leaf.  In this way their tables were made, somewhat clumsily, to be sure, but very solid and durable.
     The chairs were also of an odd construction, and were made of blocks of wood; in short the furniture was in every respect of the simplest manufacturer, and was made more for the use than for ornament.  Their knives, forks, spoons, plates, and dishes were very limited as to number.  These time, however, did not last long, for about the year 1807 Justice Meeker built a shop, in which he put his lathe, the only one then and for a long time afterwards used in the township.  This lathe had a spring-pole fastened over head, with a buckskin string connecting the two, by which the motive power was communicated.  With this machinery many and valuable were the articles manufactured, especially the wooden plates, bowls, spoons, and wooden dishes, also wooden knives and forks.  The best of timber, generally maple, was used in the manufacture of these articles.  These vessels were used for various purposes, in short, for as many purposes as the culinary art of that early day required.
     In 1805 Hillman and Daniel Meeker were in the township before they moved their families, and at that time commenced the building of a saw-mill, but did not complete it until 1807, when the mill was put in operation, and from that time on the neighbors could secure boards instead of puncheons for their floors, and for many other purposes.  This mill was the first one in the township.  It was situated one-half mile north of the corners, and one half mile east on Yankee creek.  The stream becoming turbulent washed out the dam before the mill was set to running.
     Groceries were hard to obtain in those days.  Sometimes the neighbors would take their rifles and ox teams and go to Youngstown.  These trips were not particularly dangerous, save for the troublesome wolves, that kept the men awake at night, and on guard, to protect themselves and their property.  Salt was at that time worth $25 per barrel, and other necessaries for life were proportionally high and hard to obtain.  In 1807 Harvey Hungerford built a flowering mill on the north side of Yankee creek, on land subsequently owned by Milo Dugan, which was the first flouring-mill in the township.  It was built on the south end of the dam of Meeker's sawmill.  Ebenezer Barnes made the mill-stones out of large bowlder found in the woods, one half mile west of Tyrrell Hill, or about two miles from the mill.  Justice Meeker was the miller at that time.
     Some time previous ELIJAH TYRRELL had increased the size of his blacksmith shop and was by this time largely increasing his business; in fact, the corners was becoming widely known.  A saw-mill, a grist mill, and a blacksmith shop being located here, drew custom from many of the townships, and even from Youngstown and other points.  In 1812 Abijah Tyrrell moved to the township, and at first lived with his twin brother Elijah, until he could build himself a house, and went with Elijah Tyrrell's son, Asahel, now a resident of Tyrrell Hill, into the blacksmith shop.  In this shop, which partook somewhat of the character of a machine shop, they manufactured plows, shares, axes, scythes, shaving knives, hoes, chains, etc.  The Tyrrells made the first scythes manufactured in Trumbull county, and were largely patronized in this branch of industry until a Mr. Parker, of Kinsman, started up a scythe factory, that was run by water-power, by which the cost of manufacture was so much reduced that the Tyrrells discontinued their business.
     In 1807 Rev. Joseph Badger, the noted pioneer missionary, visited the settlement and preached the first sermon.
     About this time Seth and Enoch Perkins arrived and settled one mile west of Tyrrell Hill.  Enoch Perkins soon after his arrival married Clarissa Barnes.  This was probably the second wedding in the township.
     Two settlers, Richard Houlton and Joseph Pittman, came in 1808.  They built their cabins within a few rods of each other in the southern part of the township, dug a well, cleared some land, and after living here three or four years gave up pioneer life and returned to their former homes.  Houlton, however, afterwards returned and settled in another part of the township.  Solomon Dundee and Abraham Farrow came to Fowler with these men and became permanent settlers.  They located east of Tyrrell corners.
     Other early corners in the township made a few improvements, but becoming weary of life in the woods or discouraged by hardships, returned to civilization.  Only stout hearts and determined spirits can endure the life of a pioneer.
     Alfred Bronson settled at Tyrrell's corners in 1812, and for many years was a local preacher of the Methodist church.  He is still living and resides in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.  He is now in the ninetieth year of his age.  While he resided in Fowler he was often the orator at Fourth of July celebrations.
     There was a Mr. Stewart at the corners, who after clearing four or five acres and building a house already to raise, suddenly left and never came back.  This property was afterwards taken by Alfred Bronson, the Methodist preacher.  The property owned by William Meeker, previously mentioned, was cleared by a settler whose name has passed from recollection - fenced in part, logs cut and hauled ready for raising a house, when he suddenly left and never returned.  This property, one hundred acres in all, was one half mile south of the corners.  The next lot south of this, now owned by Asahel Tyrrell, was at first taken by Hezekiay Reeder, who cleared and fenced about four acres, planted his garden, raised his house but never covered it, then left and never returned.  This house was on the bank of a little brook, which has since been called Reeder's run.  Mr. Reeder bought it in 1810, paying at that time $3 per acre.  Mr. Tyrrell bought it in 1824 and paid $5 per acre.  He was then thirty-two years of age and is now seventy-nine years old and has owned it ever since.  But since that time what a change!  Then it was all a wilderness; now the land is all cleared up, and a railroad runs through it within four rods of where the old Reeder house stood.  The depot is about twenty rods from it.  From four to six trains now pass daily on this road, and some of the land is laid out in village lots and a number of houses have already been built.  Mr. Tyrrell built a large flouring-mill, a hotel, and a store.  There are also some shops of different kinds, and a nail-keg head factory that is doing some business.
     About the year 1813 John Webster and Newman Tucker moved into one end of John Vaughn's house, which stood a little west of the corners.  He afterwards built a house three-fourths of a mile south of the corners on the east side of the road.  Tucker moved into Alfred Bronons house, while Bronson was out in the army.  Tucker was taken sick, caused by a journey of forty-five days duration without intermission, except for a single day, and when Preacher Bronson came home the neighbors turned out (what few had not gone to the war) and built a brush house for Tucker.  It was built in one day.  Four posts were driven at suitable distances apart in the ground, the other ends being forked, and upon these forks poles were laid, reaching from one post to the other.  Small poles were also pinned on the sides.  Brush was then collected, and the roof and the sides of the shanty were plaited with leaves and twigs.  The roof was covered with brush.  A blanket was hung over the opening.  Into this domicile the family moved, and lived two months.  The Tucker family consisted of eight persons in all - the two old people and six children, four boys and two girls.  The boys were Charles, Jabez, William, and John.  The girls were Betsy and Marilla.

THE WAR OF 1812.

     There were but a few scattering families at this time in the township, and the militia of Fowler and Johnston townships was put under the command of Captain Elijah Terryll.  Captain Tyrrell was ordered to draft one-half of his men, taking every other man in order as the names stood on the muster roll.  This was the order given to each of the captains in the county.  It caused considerable excitement and hardship, as half of the whole number of able-bodied men taken at such a time from their midst would leave them is straitened circumstances.  There were nine in number drafted from Fowler township.  Their names were:  Captain Elijah Tyrrell, Alfred Bronson, Hoyt Tyrrell, Roswell Tyrrell, Isaac Farrow, Cable Meeker, and three of the Gateses.  The service of these men was not very long, most of them coming home in three months.  Some of the number staid six months.  Roswell Tyrrell re-enlisted.  John Gates was killed in the first engagement he was in.
     Up to this time immigration was not very rapid, but after the war the people began to see better times, and settlers took up all the land except the swamps.
     At late as the year 1826 there was no road passable for teams, and few settlers from the center of Fowler to the center of Hartford, and all the travel was done by the way of Tyrrell's corners from Bazetta, Fowler, and other places north to get to Hartford, or Burg Hill.
     Mr. Asahel Tyrrell, then a mere a boy, usually went to mill for his father and the neighbors.  His trips were made to Brockway's or to Bentley's, and sometimes to Sharon.  The distance was great for a boy to make, and the wolves sometimes were so voracious as to cause him some apprehension for his safety.  His father's old white mare which he rode, was the only one in the neighborhood.


     In former times the women spun and wove what clothing was worn, excepting the buckskin  [START ON PAGE 416]




















     WILLIAM JONES (deceased) was a native of Massachusetts, born Feb. 28, 1800.  He was by occupation a farmer and stock dealer.  He was married Sept. 26, 1820, to Sarah, daughter of John and Hannah (Irwin) Morrow, natives of Ireland.  She was born Feb. 18, 1799, and came to Ohio with her parents in 1804; the family settling on a place now owned by Mrs. Robert Morrow,  She taught school one or two terms prior to her marriage.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones had ten children, six of whom are living - Edwin W., a farmer; Robert, also a farmer and stock dealer; James, now a resident of New Mexico; Aaron, a resident of Kansas; John D., and Frank at home.  Mr. Jones settled on a farm one mile north of Fowler center, putting up a log-house.  He died June 4, 1861.  He was a member of the Congregational church (as is also his widow) and was a respected citizen and successful farmer.  Mr. Jones has a farm of fifty-two acres.

     ASAHEL TYRRELL was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut, September 23, 1802; oldest son of Elijah and Clarisa (Meeker) Tyrrell, of Connecticut.  His father was born March 8, 1775, and his mother May 21, 1774.  They were married July 23, 1796, and came to Ohio in October 1806, and located at Tyrrell's corners in Fowler township, Trumbull county.  They were among the pioneers of the county, and worthy ones, too.  They raised a family of eight children, six of whom are living.  Elijah Tyrrell was a blacksmith by trade and also a successful farmer.  He bought one hundred acres and cleared the same, now owned by A. H. Tyrrell.  He was an active Whig.  He died April 11, 1848.  He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his father, Asahel Tyrrell, was in the Revolutionary War and was killed at the surrender of Burgoyne, in October, 1777.  Asahel Terryll, the subject of this sketch was a scholar in the first school taught in Fowler township, taught by Miss Esther Jennings, one of the original party consisting of seven families that came to the county with the Tyrrells.  The heads of those families were all uncles of the subject of this sketch.  Mr. Tyrrell's opportunities for obtaining an education were exceedingly limited, attending school but one month.  He assisted his father in the blacksmith shop and also learned the trade of carpenter and joiner.  He had built a saw-mill of green timber in the woods before coming of age.  He erected a house for his father to compensate him for eight months of his time before reaching his majority.  He followed building and contracting for some twenty years, erecting many of the finest residences in Fowler and surrounding townships.  Mr. Tyrrell was first married in 1823, to Lucretia Webster, by whom he had four children, all living.  One son, A. H., is a well known resident of Fowler township.  Mr. Tyrrell's first wife died November 10, 1871, and he has since been married twice.  His present wife, to whom he was married February 20, 1875, was Polly Reeder, born in Connecticut September, 1, 1811.  Mr. Tyrrell has always been active in promoting every public enterprise, was prominent in the founding of Tyrrell Hill, and has taken an interest in the building of the railroad and other interests.  He was formerly a Whig, but has been a Republican since the formation of the party.  His home residence was erected in 1840.  The farm consists of one hundred and forty-five acres, and he also owns three hundred and eighty acres in Vienna and Howland townships. 

     ASA FOOTE was born in Fowler township, Trumbull County, Ohio, August 31, 1807.  The Foote family was among the earliest pioneers of the county, and the fifth family that settled in Fowler township.  Levi Foote, father of Asa, moved with his family into that township in 1800.  He served in the War of 1812.  It is said that Lyda Foote (Barber), who died in the spring of 1880, was the first white female child born in Fowler.  Asa was the oldest son of Levi and Amelia (Allen) Foote, and he distinctly recollects when the red men roamed through the forests of Fowler.  He married November 12, 1840, Mary Dickinson, born in Connecticut, April 22, 1817, by whom he had six children.  Levi was a member of the Forty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and died in hospital January 23, 1862.  Philip M. was a lawyer by profession; died April 19, 1872.  Curtis was a member of the One Hundred and SEventy-seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, and died at Nashville, Tennessee, February 27, 1865.  He was married to Orell Baldwin, December 31, 1868. Lovilla died in infancy.  Helen L. is the wife of L. G. Spencer, of Hartford township, and has two children, Bennie F. and Byron H.  Auriel D., born September 27, 1857, wife of Frank E. Clark, resides on the home place.  Mr. Foote was kicked a number of years ago on the head, by a horse, and severely injured, thirty pieces of broken bone being taken out, since which time he has been almost totally deaf.  Mrs. Foote died March 15, 1872.

     LEONARD CLARK, son of Abel and Eunice (Lamphear) Clark, was born in Petersburg, Rensselaer county, New York, February 27, 1808.  His early educational advantages were limited, yet by self study he acquired a fair education for the times.  He remained at home (but working for others) until he was twenty years of age.  He was a resident of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, engaged in factory work for seven years.  December 23, 1836, he was untied in marriage to Miss Lucy Olds, who was born in Middlefield, Massachusetts, January 17, 1813.  The following spring he removed to Ohio and settled upon the place where he still resides in Fowler township.  The land was then wild, but he rapidly improved the place, supplanting the log house with his present residence in 1845.  The farm is now fully improved, and comprises two hundred acres, having deeded three farms to his children.  Mr. Clark is a prosperous, self made man, and a gentleman of literary tastes.  He was one of a family of twenty-two children.  One of his brothers, Adam A., was a drum major in the War of 1812, and was the celebrated drummer.  Mr. Clark is the father of eight children, of whom six are living, as follows:  Harriet E., born July 29, 1839, now wife of Emanuel Evarts, of Brookfield township; Leonard, born March 4, 1841, widow of Abner Viets, living in Fowler township; Lester A., born June 18, 1843, living on a farm adjoining the home place;  George W., born December 17, 1845, a resident of Hartford township; Sherman S., born September 26, 1850, at home; Lucy, born November 5, 1852, wife of Henry Viets, of Fowler township.  Since coming to Ohio Mr. and Mrs. Clark have been members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Fowler center.

     A. I. STEWART




     N. C. RHODES

     GEORGE ALDERMAN was a native of Brookfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, born in the year 1816.  Nov. 1, 1838, he married Mary M., daughter of John and Sarah (Webster) Greenwood, born in Trumbull county, June 21, 1823.  Mr. Alderman remained upon his father's place in Brookfield until the spring of 1842, when he removed to Fowler township, settling on the place now owned by G. M. Greenwood, which place he cleared up.  He subsequently resided in Brookfield again a year and a half.  In the Springfield 1856 he removed to the place which is now the family home.  Mr. Alderman was an active, successful business man and a worthy citizen.  He died Nov. 5, 1871.  Mr. and Mrs. Alderman were the parents of seven children, as follow:  Harriet C., born April 25, 1840, now wife of Josiah Medley, residing in Vienna township; Eliza J., born Dec. 3, 1841, died Nov. 19, 1957; John S., born on the 22d day of November, in the year 1843, now of Michigan, married about the year 1869, and has four children: Erastus S., born Oct. 9, 1848, now conducting the home farm, married Oct. 3, 1877, to Miss Alice Thompson, born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, March 11, 1855, and has one daughter and one son: Della, born Aug. 14, 1878, and Roscoe, May 5, 1880; Worthy L., died in 1860, at the age of ten years: Betsey S., born Mar. 12, 1852, wife of J. L. Kennedy, of Warren; Homer L., born April 2, 1859, also of Warren.  After her husband's death Mrs. Alderman continued to carry on the farm which is now conducted by her son Erastus.  In 1878 he raised on two acres the unprecedented crop of five hundred and thirty-eight bushels of corn, in the ear.

     SAMUEL M. MEAKER was born in Fowler township, Trumbull County, Ohio, Apr. 9, 1817.  He married, May 8, 1842, Perlia Clark, daughter of Samuel Clark, a well known citizen of Hartford township.  Mrs. Meaker was born in Southwick, Hampden county, Massachusetts, Jan. 6, 1821.  After his marriage our subject settled in Fowler, on the farm still owned by his widow, occupying a log house which gave way to the present residence built in 1850.  Only slight improvement had then been made.  The farm consists of one hundred and fifty acres and is now fully improved.  Mr. Meaker was an industrious, respected citizen, upright in all his dealings.  He served as township trustee one term.  He died Nov. 17, 1876, aged fifty-nine years, seven months and eight days.  Mrs. Meaker continued to reside on the home place until 1880, when she purchased the old Captain Jones' place, in Fowler center, where she now lives.  There was built the first framed house in Fowler township.  Mr. and Mrs. Meaker were the parents of one son and one daughter - Lucy, born Aug. 11, 1843; died Oct. 21, 1850, aged seven years, two months, and ten days; Isaac, born July 11, 1845, a promising, well educated young man, died Oct. 10, 1871, aged twenty-six years, two months,  and twenty-nine days.  He attended a college in Cleveland two winters, fitting himself for a  chemist.  Mrs. Meaker came to Ohio with her parents in the winter of 1835, who settled in Hartford township.  There were five children, four of whom are still living, viz: Mrs. Abner Leonard, Mrs. Orson Trumbull, and Mrs. Meaker, of Fowler township, and Mrs. Milton Goddard, of Iowa.





     LEWIS ALDERMAN, oldest son of Lyman and Lydia (Munson) Alderman, was born in Brookfield township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Sept. 4, 1820.  He was brought up to farming and remained at home until his marriage, Jan. 17, 1849, to Annie Hutchins of Hartford township.  By this marriage he has one daughter, May, born May 8, 1850, and still at home.  His first wife died May 17, 1850, and Apr. 21, 1852, he married Miss Margaret Butts, daughter of Jonathan Butts, an early settler in Brookfield, where Mrs. Alderman was born May 1, 1826.  This union has resulted in five children, as follow:  Homer J., born Jan. 15, 1853, living in California; Ella F., Apr. 29, 1854, now wife of Charles Hallock, of Fowler township; Fred A., July 20, 1858; Harry H., May 1, 1868; Maria L., Nov. 28, 1869.  There three last named are at home. Homer J. married Ida J., daughter of Darius Baldwin.  After his marriage Mr. Alderman settled at Tyrrell Hill, where he remained three years.  He was a resident of Wisconsin a year and a half; was largely engaged in farming in Brookfield a couple of years.  February, 1858, he located in Fowler center and engaged in the manufacture of cheese-box, singles and nail-keg heading, in which he did an extensive business.  Mr. Alderman has been township trustee two terms, clerk two terms, and treasurer seven terms.  He and his wife are members of the Disciple church and active in Sunday-school work. - pp. 223-224


     SIMEON BALDWIN was born in Youngstown, Ohio, Apr. 17, 1821.  His parents were Jacob H. and Florinda (Waller) Baldwin, natives respectively of New York and Connecticut.  Jacob H. Baldwin was a pioneer of Mahoning county, settling with his parents in Boardman township about 1804.  He is a prominent citizen.  He removed to Warren in an early day and was county auditor of Trumbull county for fifteen years, and held other offices.  He died in December, 1880.  Our subject derived his education of Warren.  He was brought up to farming, and remained at home until his marriage, in 1849.  His wife was Lucy M. Baldwin, widow of Homer Baldwin and daughter of Richard Gates, an early settler in Hartford township, where she was born June 9, 1822.  Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin are the parents of two children, one of whom is living - George L., born Oct. 14, 1859, at present engaged in school-teaching, and Charles R. born Oct. 14, 1850, and died in infancy.  After his marriage Mr. Baldwin settled in Champion township, where he owned and improved a farm until 1854, when he removed to Fowler township and settled on the farm where he now lives, which consists of one hundred acres of land under a good state of cultivation.  Mr. Baldwin is a Republican in politics and was active in raising recruits during the Revolution.






     EZRA S. AMES, oldest child of Benjamin and Euretta (Shaff) Ames, was born in Jefferson county, New York, on the 7th of August, 1801.  He came to Ohio with his parents in the spring of the year 1826, the family settling one-half mile north of his present residence in Fowler township.  Benjamin Ames was a successful farmer, a school-teacher for several years, and also for several years township clerk.  He reared a family of twelve children, of whom three only are living.  He died in the farm which he had cleared up, about the year 1870, aged eighty-four.  His wife died Mar. 1, 1878, aged eighty-six.  Mr. Ames was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was stationed at Sackett's Harbor.  Ezra S. Ames was brought up upon a farm and enjoyed such educational opportunities - limited enough - as were to be had in that day.  He married Dec. 4, 1834, Catherine Campbell, born Feb. 5, 1807.  After his marriage he remained on the old home place one summer, removing to his present residence in the spring of 1836.  His first wife died Mar. 17, 1873, and on Aug. 18, 1874, Mr. AMes married in present wife, Phila H. Stocking, born in Connecticut Apr. 2, 1836.  He is the father, by his first wife, of three sons, only one now living, to-wit:  William C., born Aug. 22, 1837, died Apr. 14, 1873; he married Nov. 26, 1863, Lozetta H. Patch, and had two children.  Horace B., born June 14, 1840, enlisted in the Forty-first Ohio volunteer infantry Sept. 4, 1861, and was killed at Pittsburg Landing, his first battle, Apr. 7, 1862.  Cyrus D., born Feb. 10, 1842, is a well known farmer of Fowler township.  He married in 1875 Ellen HooverMr. Ames, the subject of this sketch, has been township trustee some five or six years.  During the Rebellion he was active in raising the quota.  Mr. Ames is a member of the Congregational church.










CHARLES F. HALLOCK was born Mar. 19, 1838, in Fowler township, Trumbull county, Ohio, youngest son of George and Phebe Hallock, of Long Island, New York.  George Hallock was born Nov. 23, 1798, and emigrated to the Reserve in the early years of the present century, locating in Brookfield township, Trumbull county, Ohio.  He was engaged in mercantile business in Brookfield, and for two or three years subsequent to his removal to Fowler center.  He located on the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch about the year 1836, where he spent the balance of his life.  The place was then unimproved with the exception of a log house and a small clearing.  He died Apr. 18, 1870.  He was a man well and favorably known throughout this region, and of more than ordinary energy of character.  Was justice of the peace one or more terms.  As a celebration July 4, 1824, held at Hartford, he was the orator of the day.  His widow still resides on the home place, vigorous in mind and body.  Charles Hallock remained at home until of age, when he took charge of a cheese factory at Fowler center, which he conducted successfully some ten years.  He was married in 1872 to Miss Ella, daughter of Lewis Alderman, born Apr. 29, 1854, and has one son, Asel J., born July 13, 1877.  After his marriage he located upon the home place, where he still resides. - p. 428

     NOAH BELFORD, youngest son of John and Sally (Tanner) Belford, was born in Fowler township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Aug. 15, 1839.  Mrs. Belford was a daughter of William Tanner, an early settler of Fowler.  She died Jan. 5, 1869.  She made her home with her son, the subject of this sketch, during the latter years of her life.  At fifteen Noah was thrown upon his own resources.  At the age of eighteen he learned the carpenter trade; he continued that trade some eighteen years, during which time he has built many fine buildings in Fowler and elsewhere.  In the fall of 1873 Mr. Belford purchased the Tyrrell Hill flouring mills, which had not been used as a mill for some years.  He enlarged and remodeled the building, putting in modern machinery, including a new engine and boiler, and doing an extensive business. - p. 429




     E. J. FORWARD





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights