HENRY THORN came from Virginia
in 1822, and built the first log cabin in Lordstown, about
two and one-half miles east of the center; soon after his
brother William came and settled near him. He
soon after moved south of the center where he died.
JOHN TAIT and his brother
Robert settled together on lot number fourteen, north of
the center, in 1824. They began blacksmithing, and
were the first to engage in blacksmithing in the township.
Robert Tait purchased a farm northeast of his brother
where he now resides, and is the oldest pioneer now living
in the township. In 1826 Thomas Pew settled
near the Woodward residence, immediately south of the
center. In this same year William Moore settled
on what was then known as the "old Indian trail, which lead
from the salt springs in Weathersfield to Sandusky, and his
log-cabin stood about forty rods north of the present
Ohltown road, on lot number seventy-three.
In 1826 Lyman
Lovell, Peleg Lewis, John Lewis, Samuel Bassett, Peter
Snyder, Leonard Miller, Thomas Longmore, and John
Owens lived north of the center, and Andrew Grove
and James Preston lived south.
From this time the township began to improve and
increase in population; small tracts of land were sold to
suit the small means of the purchasers, thus affording homes
for a greater number of families; but as some grew richer
they began purchasing more land, and the farms grew larger,
but the number of families less. The census reports
show that in 1860 this township had a population of nine
hundred and ninety; in 1870, eight hundred and fifty; and in
1880, eight hundred and four.
RETURN TO TABLE