This township, by location
in the original survey of the Reserve, was known as township seven
in range three, the townships numbering from the south line of the
Reserve north, and the ranges from the Pennsylvania line wet.
The members of the Connecticut Land company who owned it were
Messrs. Parkman and Greene, of Boston, who had it
surveyed into sections one mile long east and west, and one-half
mile wide north and south, the northwest corner section being number
Mosquito creek is
the largest stream in the township. It rises in Cherryville,
Ashtabula county, and flowing across the corner of Wayne and through
Colebrook, it enters this township about one mile west of the
northeast corner. Following a southwest course for the first
two miles it turns, and with it course due southwest and a little
east of the center it crosses the rest of the township, and
continuing south through Mecca, Bazetta, Howland, and into
Weathersfield, it empties into the Mahoning river at Niles. In
early days it was quite a mill stream in this township, furnishing
water power for two grit=mills, three saw-mills, and one
woolen-mill. It supplies some thirty farms with water, but the
mills are gone, and it makes its water power felt only in great
freshets, as in September, 1878, when in a single night it made a
clear sweep of all the rail fences in its valley from the north to
the sough line of the township. There are seven large brooks
that empty into the creek from the east and two from the west.
In the northwest part there is a large brook that makes one of the
headwater branches of Rock creek, a branch of Grand river, so that
the township is partly in the Mississippi valley, and partly in the
valley of the lakes.
Early in the spring
of 1817 six men, John and William Harrington, John Wakefield,
Ephraim Rice, Roswell Bartlett, and Ichabod Merritt, came
into the township to examine the soul, timber, etc. Selecting
sections seven, fourteen, and seventeen, they went to Warren and
bought them of the owner's agent, General Simon Perkins, at
$2.50 per acre, paying one-third down. The following
boundaries by local points will include the purchase:
Beginning at the old cemetery on the east bank of Mosquito creek,
thence north one and one-half miles to the east and west road, at a
point about thirty roads west of Mineral Springs Cheese factory,
thence east along that road - except when it angles to the south at
the mill - to the west line of Timothy Higgins' farm, thence
south to the northeast corner of the Sloan farm, thence west
to the old cemetery, and contained nine hundred and sixty acres of
land. This tract they divided into six equal parcels, each one
mile long east and west and eighty rods wide. To Ichabod
Merritt - he being the youngest - they gave the first choice.
He took the north piece because there was a factory now stands.
William Harrington being next in age took the south piece.
John Harrington too next to Merritt, and John
Wakefield next to William Harrington, Ephraim Rice taking
the north, and Roswell Bartlett the south middle pieces.
That spring Ichabod Merritt, Ephraim Rice, and John
Wakefield built three log cabins, sixteen feet square and seven
feet high. The roofs were made of oak shakes held on with
poles; the floors, of puncheon, were made by splitting out flat
pieces from logs and smoothing them with axes. Merritt's
mother occupied the first cabin built, keeping house for her two
sons, Ichabod and Aaron.
At the time of the
first settlement of the township Kinsman, Gustavus, and Greene were
organized as one township and called Greene, Kinsman being the place
for holding the elections and meetings to transact the affairs of
the township. At the township election in the spring of 1819
the voters living wet of Pymatuning creek not voting to suit those
living east, they petitioned to be set off as a township with
Kinsman as a name, which was granted, leaving Gustavus and Greene
under the old organization, Gustavus being the place for meeting to
transact township affairs. At the election in the spring of
1820 the voters from the new settlement not voting to suit the more
populous and wealthy east part, the people of the east half
petitioned to be set off as the township of Gustavus, which being
granted left the new settlement the township's name but without
township officers. The new settlement applied for and was
reorganized as a township that year, and held the first election at
William Harrington's, in September (1280). The voters
elected Ebenezer Kee, clerk; Ephraim Rice, John Harrington,
and Roswell Bartlett, trustees; David Rice, treasurer;
Ephraim Rice and John Wakefield, overseers of the
poor; W. A. Bascom, constable; William Harrington, David
Rice, and Ephraim Kee, road supervisors; Wyman
Wakefield, fence viewer. The next spring Roswell
Bartlett was elected justice of the peace, and in the spring of
1823 Noah Coleman was elected to the same office.
CHURCHES AND SCHOOLS.
(TO BE TRANSCRIBED UPON REQUEST)
(TO BE TRANSCRIBED UPON REQUEST)
NOTES AND INCIDENTS.
The first birth was
Deborah Harrington, daughter of John Harrington, born in
WILLIAM HARRINGTON purchased the first two sheep owned in the township, in Barzetta. Tying them together he drove them home. It getting dusk before he reached his clearing, the wolves began to howl as if on his track. He cut a heavy cane from a young hickory and prepared for a fight. It was not long before the wolves were close to him and placing himself between the sheep so as to hold them from running, he fought the wolves off and then started his sheep on. Three times before reaching his log barn he had to fight the wolves to save the sheep.
ISAAC B. SPRING, better known in later days as Dr. Spring, went to Warren in March, 1820, to transact some business. On his return he reached Mosquito creek in Bazetta about sundown, and being on foot got his feet wet in crossing. He sat down on a log and took off his shoes and wrung the water out of his stockings. While he was doing this he could hear the wolves howling, and just as he was putting on his shoes he heard the brush rattle, and looking around he saw a wolf looking at him through a clump of bushes; soon he saw another, and another, till some half dozen were around him. Making a spring for a limb, he climbed a tree for safety. The wolves were kindly disposed towards the doctor, and to keep him awake so that he would not fall, howled around the tree till daylight the next morning, then trotted off, and the doctor got down and tramped on to Greene.
ICHABOD MERRITT had been a successful hunter in
Canada, and on settling here where game was plenty became the most
noted hunter in the settlement. While hunting in the latter
part of the winter of 1822, in company with Isaac Mowrey,
Leonard Wheeler, and a new comer who had been a sailor, they
struck a bear track in the west part of Gustavus. Following it
to a large poplar tree, they found the bear had climbed it. Up
son sixty feet the tree was broken off, leaving two large limbs
below the break. No bear being in sight it was evident to them
that the stub above the limbs was hollow and made a den for the
bear. Having but one ax with them, and the tree being very
large, they were about to give up getting the bear, when the sailor
said that if they would chop a beech tree that stood near and lodge
it against one of the limbs of the poplar, he would go up the beech
and shoot the bear in its den.
HARRINGTON, now aged eighty eight, is still residing in
Greene with the wife of his youth, where he settled sixty-five
years ago. He was one of the original six purchasers of
land in Greene, and the only survivor of that company. He
was born in Brookfield, Orange county, Vermont, Feb. 5, 1794.
His father died when he was young, and he attended school but
little after he was ten years old. Yet he was an apt
scholar, and acquired a good common school education so that he
subsequently taught school a number of terms. When
twenty-four, in the spring of 1817, he came to Greene in company
with the first three families, and assisted in making the first
improvements in the township. His purchase comprised one
hundred and sixty acres in section seventeen, where he still
lives. Mar. 6, 1821, he married Helena Bascom,
daughter of James and Helena Bascom, born in Chester,
Massachusetts, Dec. 15, 1801. Mrs. Harrington's
parents came out in the spring of 1819, and settled in the
neighborhood of the Harrington's. Deacon
Harrington was the leader in the Congregational church in
Greene during its existence, uniting with it about 1831.
He was many years ago justice of peace for six years, and held
other township offices. But the position to which he looks
back with the greatest pride, as he says, was that of president
of a temperance society in Greene for a period of thirteen
years. This society was a very flourishing one in its day,
having enrolled in its membership nearly every citizen of the
township. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington are the parents
of five children - C. A. Harrington, a well-known
attorney at Warren; Corydon, a resident of Painesville;
Ashley, who married Helen Ross, and
occupies the home farm with his father; Frederick, in
Rock Creek; and Ermina (Ashley) in Colebrook
EPHRAIM RICE, SR., one of the first purchasers of land in Greene, was a native of Worcester county, Massachusetts. He moved out with his family in 1817, settled on the creek where Samuel Jerauld now lives, and resided there until his death. He was born in the year 1772, and died July 3, 1869, in the ninety-eighth year of his age. He was the father of four children, as follow: Rhoda (Martin), Eli F., and Ephraim, all living in Greene, the oldest over eighty, and Rebecca (Gill), dead. Eli F., the oldest son, was born July, 1803; married Mary P. (Alger) McKee, who died Jan., 1882. Their children are William A., married and lives in Mecca; Edward S., married and lives in Greene; Mary, living at home, and Eli F., Jr., married and occupies the farm with his father.
CORY was born in Derby, Vermont, in 1809, where he lived
until 1830, when he removed to the State of New York.
There he engaged in the lumber business for several years.
In 1837 he married Polly Phillips and the same
year came to Trumbull county, and purchased land in Greene township,
where he settled. His wife died in 1875 aged sixty-eight.
They have had a family of four boys and four girls. The
patriotism of this family is attested by the fact that four sons
were in the army during the war
LUCIAN RICE was born in Williamsfield, Ashtabula county, Ohio, Aug. 15, 1810. His grandfather, Aaron Rice, came to Ohio about 1829, and settled in Greene township, Trumbull county. He was a soldier of the war of the Revolution. He died at an advanced age about 1832. Aaron, Jr., son of Aaron and Anna (Yale) Rice, was born in New York State in 1871, and married Submit Jones, born Oct. 20, 1786. He served in the War of 1812, and died in 1865. Lucian Rice was married Mar. 27, 1839, to Lovina Hays, born in 1815, and died May 11, 1855. In 1856 he married Sarah White, born in 1823. By his first marriage he had five children, and by his second one son.
WILLIAM C. TUTTLE, son of Chester and Elizabeth (Cowden) Tuttle, was born in Oneida county, New York, Aug. 20, 1816. When fourteen, in February, 1831, he came to Greene, Trumbull county, Ohio, and has resided here since. He learned the trade of tanning with his uncle, Alexander Cowden, with whom he came to Ohio and who had a tannery where George F. Curtis now lives. He married in September, 1838, Emeline Coleman, of Green Township, who came to Greene with her parents in 1821. Her father, Noah Coleman, was one of the prominent early residents of Greene, having held the office of justice of the peace for the period of twenty-five years. He was one of the pioneers of Colebrook, Ashtabula county. Mr. Tuttle bought the business of his uncle when twenty years of age, and carried on the business at the old location util the spring of 1847, when he established his business where he has since located, one mile east of the center of Greene. His business is that of tanning and harness making, and he formerly carried on shoemaking. Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle are the parents of five children, three living and two deceased. Sylvia married Charles P. Jerauld, and died in Nebraska City Feb. 27, 1882. Chester Tuttle, employed in business with his father; he was a member of company C, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, in the war of the Rebellion; served two years and nine months and was discharged for wounds received in a skirmish at Lovejoy's station, Georgia. Mary E. Tuttle, until lately engaged in school teaching, now at home with her parents. Clinton, who died young; and Charles A., residing at Little Valley, New York.
END OF BOOK