History of Warren
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns,
Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Settlers and Prominent Men; History of The North-
West Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Warren County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
- Illustrated -
Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co.,
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO
LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
PHILIP ALEXANDER, farmer; P. O.
Springboro; born on the same section of land where he now
lives, May 31, 1807; is a son of Andrew and Sallie
Alexander, natives of Pennsylvania, who emigrated to
Ohio and settled in Warren County, on Sec. 31, Clear Creek
Township, in 1798, on of the earliest settlers in this
vicinity; here he purchased a pre-emption right for a tract
of land, for which he gave "one white steer," and here he
opened out right in the woods and endured all the roughness
of log cabin life. Prior to settling on the above
land, Mr. Alexander was an early settler in Kentucky,
and there experienced much rough pioneer life; he was a
soldier with the old pioneer, Daniel Boone, in the
defense of the settlers against the Indians, and his noble
wife "run out" bullets for them; those were days that tried
men's souls, but these brave pioneers endured it all to make
homes and prepare the way for all these comforts which the
present generations enjoy; here, on the farm where he first
settled, on Clear Creek Township, he lived and labored till
his death, which occurred by an accident in falling from a
fence, by which his neck was broken, producing instant
death; this occurred July 6, 1822, aged 68 years; his wife
survived him till 1861, aged 94 years. They had one
son and three daughters, two now living - Betsy, now
widow Wheaton; and Philip, our subject.
Philip was 15 years of age when his father was
killed, but remained with his mother till 26 years of age;
was married, Mar. 28, 1832, to Lydia Ann, daughter of
Philip and Mary (Walter) Snyder), natives of
Pennsylvania, who settled in Warren County in 1830; by this
union they have had ten children; eight now survive -
John, Andrew, Mary Ann (now Mrs. Deacons), Sarah Jane
(now Mrs. Henry Trow), Harriet Elvira (now
Mrs. J. Decker), Cornelia (now Mrs. William
Sheets), Samuel Snyder, Philip Milton and Lydia
Melvina (now Mrs. Frank Inglebrant). Of
these sons, John A. and Samuel S. were
soldiers in the late war of the rebellion; John A.
enlisted, in 1861, in the 35th O. V. I., for three years or
during the war; he served over a year, and was discharged on
account of sickness, but subsequently returned and did
Government service on bridges for two years; Samuel J.
enlisted, in 1862, in the 2d O. V. H. A., and served through
the war, and received an honorable discharge Aug. 23, 1865.
Thus, while our subject performed his full share of pioneer
work, he also furnished two sons, in a later day, to fight
in defense of the rights and liberties of one of the best
governments on the face of the earth. Mr. Alexander
is now 74 years of age, and the entire three score and
fourteen years have been spent on the same section and near
the spot where he now lives; he and his companion have
journeyed together, bearing life's burdens and enjoying its
pleasures, for half a century; have witnessed the vast
changes that have taken place in the transformation of the
wilderness into fine cultivated farms, with all their
present comforts and conveniences; and we may hope that the
present and future generations may give due honor to these
worthy pioneers, who have done so much and endured so many
hardships for their future comfort and happiness.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ.
Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 890
||Hamilton Twp. -
EDWIN ADAMS, farmer, P. O. Loveland,
Cleremont Co., was born in Goshen, Cleremont,
Co., O., in 1836, and is a son of Jesse Adams.
He was reared on a farm and in the common schools received a
limited education. He lived for some years in Portage
Co., O., and in 1857 came to Warren Co., and up to '65
operated a sawmill in this township, at which time he
purchased 90 acres of land on which he has since resided.
In 1864 he enlisted in Co. I, 46th O. N. G., in which he
served his time (3 mos.) and was honorably discharged.
He has represented his district as Supervisor and School
Director. In 1861 he was married to Miss Charlotte
Roderick, who has borne him four children, viz.: John
E., Anna B., Edward and Blanche. He is a
Republican in politics.
Source: History of Warren
Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882
- Page 938
||Harlan Twp. -
MARY A. ADDIS; P. O. Butlerville; a
native of Hamilton Co., Ohio, born June 23, 1845. She
went with her parents to Covington, Ky., where she received
the rudiments of a common-school education. She has
been twice married; the first time to George Currier.
These parents had two children - Carrie, born Sept.
16, 1866; and Anna, born September, 1869 (since
deceased). By some misunderstanding, a separation of
these parents took place, adn she was married the second
time, in 1875, to Mr. Bernard Addis, with whom she
now happily resides. He is a machinist by trade, and,
besides, being industrious, commands good wages for his
work. Two children blessed this union - Mary J.,
born Jan. 8, 1877; and David H., born July 15, 1879.
Mr. Addis is an ardent Republican, and one in whom
the people have confidence. They own a good farm of
over 100 acres of choice land, well improved, and in a high
state of cultivation. He takes great pride in good
stock, believing that it is economy to keep a few good ones
rather than a number of poor ones.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago:
W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - page 1029
Franklin Twp. -
G. ANDERSON, State Senator and grain dealer,
Franklin; son of Kenneth and Mary (Chamberlain) Anderson;
was born near Carlisle Dec. 8, 1826; he was reared on a
farm; he was married, in the Jersey settlement, Dec. 13,
1848, to Jane D., daughter of John and Sally
Teneick, born in Jersey Settlement Oct. 4, 1829; they
have had six children, five living Derrick B., Charles
M., Sally E. (deceased), Mary B., Howard B. and
William G. In the fall of 1856 he bought 175
acres of land in Jersey Settlement, on Sections 3 and 34;
farm known as the William T. Barkalow farm. He
carried on farming till 1873, when being engaged quite
extensively in grain and other business he left the
management of it to his son. In 1868, he was elected
County Commissioner and served two terms. During his
term of office, he worked very hard and was instrumental in
some very important public improvements, among others the
Orphans' Asylum. Children's Home and the Franklin
Suspension Bridge, which crosses the Miami River and is a
very fine piece of work. In 1876, he began in the
grain and lumber business quite extensively, which he
carries on in company with his son Charles M., whom
he admitted in 1879. He is a stockholder and director
in the First National Bank. In the fall of 1881 he was
elected to the State Senate from the Second Senatorial
District. Himself and William A. Van Horn were
the committee on construction of the Franklin Hydraulic
water power, of which eh was also a director and treasurer.
Mr. Anderson's father, Kenneth, was among the
early settlers of this township. He was the son of
Lewis and Jane (Gaston) Anderson, born in Monmouth Co.,
N. J., in 1791, Sept. 30, he was reared on a farm. His
father was in the war of the Revolution, and was captured on
Sandy Hook and imprisoned in New York City one year, when he
escaped. He came to Franklin in 1832 and died in 1838.
Kenneth came here in 1815 and was married in 1871, to
Mary, daughter of John and Nancy Chamberlain,
born in New Jersey in 1801; they had seven children, six now
living, John S., Nancy, Lewis G., James C. and
Jane G., Joseph C. (deceased) and William G.
John, Jane and William are now in Kansas; the
others are living in Jersey Settlement. His wife
inherited 92 acres of land, one mile southwest of Carlisle
Station, where he resided until the spring of 1879, when he
came to Jersey Settlement to live with his son, Lewis G.
His wife died in 1850; he worked at carpentering about ten
years in the early part of his life; some of the buildings
which he erected are still standing.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H.
Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 793