OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
WARREN COUNTY, OHIO

History & Genealogy

.

Biographies

Source: 
History of Warren Co., Ohio
containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Schools, Churches,
Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early
Settlers and Prominent Men; History of The North-
West Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Warren County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc. 
- Illustrated -
Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co.,
1882

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1882 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  Deerfield Twp. -
JACOB AND MARY (JACKSON) LE FEVRE, Oxford.  These two settlers were among the earliest and most useful of the pioneer settlers of Ohio; both were born in Frederick Co., Md.; Mr. LeFevre, Feb. 14, 1785, and Mrs. Le Fevre, Dec. 24, 1784; the father of the latter was Henry Jackson, who was born and educated in London, England; her mother, Rebecca Pope Jackson, was born in Maryland, of French parents, who, during the persecution of the Huguenots by the Roman Catholics, were driven from a happy  and prosperous home in their beloved France, to the strange and wild lands of America; they chose exile, rather than disloyalty to conscience and religious belief. Jacob Le Fevre claims a similar interest in the Reformation; his mother was German and his father a Frenchman and a Huguenot; in the history of the French Reformation, the name Le Fevre is an honored one among the Protestant heroes.  Our subjects were married May 1, 1804, and, in the spring of 1807, with their oldest child, Mary, aged 1 year, they emigrated to Ohio.  They came in wagons to Pittsburgh, and from there to Cincinnati in flat boat, which they sold in the latter town for $10, the purchaser using it for a dwelling house, as was the custom.  Mr. Le Fevre was offered land at a very low price in the vicinity of Cincinnati, but he would not purchase it because it seemed so worthless for farming purposes.  He came out with his family to the southern part of Warren County; he bought land adjoining that on which Socialville was afterward built, three miles south of the present town of Mason, and known as the Thompson land.  He finally owned 200 acres in all, and here they lived happily and prosperously for thirty years, until Mr. Le Fevre's death, in 1837.  Mr. Le Fevre and family were most earnest and active supporters of church, school and every worthy enterprise.  With money and labor, they helped to build the old Presbyterian Church at Pisgah, and assisted greatly in supporting its religious services afterwards.  Among the ministers who preached at Pisgah at that early day were Rev. Peter Monfort, Dr. Lyman Beecher, Dr. Henry Little, Rev. Benjamin Graves, Rev. Andrew Morrison and other home missionary workers.  Mr. and Mr. LeFevre were actively interested in the cause of education.  Before the time of the free school system, they took a prominent part in organizing and supporting subscription schools.  They raised ten children, four sons and six daughters, all of whom have filled useful positions in life; these children all lived to raise families of their own, but two of the sons and four of the daughters are now dead.  The names of the ten children, with their husbands and wives, are as follows:  Mary and Jane Baxter, Matilda and Josephus Dodds, Elias and Henrietta Ingersoll, Catherine and Gilbert Barton, Henry and Ellen Monfort, Rebecca and Thomas Moore, Mercy and Nimrod Duvall, Sarah and Milton Coulson, Jacob and Elizabeth Belch and Nimrod and Rebecca Tobias.  Their mother, Mrs. Mary Jackson Le Fevre, is still living, and is now (1881) in her 97th year.  She enjoys good health and the use of all her faculties, except that of hearing.  She remembers quite distinctly the events of her pioneer life; among her early neighbors in Deerfield Township were John Wylie, David Slayback, Nimrod Duvall, Abraham Probasco, Roland Kendall, Zebulon Eynons, Nicholas Dawson, Ezekiel Blue, Jacob Hercules, Isaac Phillips, Daniel Stout, Ezra Van Fossen and others.  After many years of toil and hardship as a pioneer, Mrs. Le Fevre is now taking life easily; she is making her home at present with her daughter, at Oxford, Ohio.  She has fifty-one grandchildren living and a number who have died.  She has about 300 descendants altogether.  A great many of these took a loyal and active part in the civil war; some arose to places of eminence, and some sacrificed their lives in the noble work of defending our flag and nation.  The offspring of such ancestors as are herein mentioned should indeed be loyal to the truth, always and everywhere, that they may honor and carry out their teachings of those ancestors who toiled and suffered so nobly for the cause of right. 
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 980
  Turtle Creek Twp. -
CHARLES A. LEWIS; P. O. Lebanon; was born in Warren Co., Ohio, Oct. 28, 1826, of parents, Paul and Mary (Thatcher) Lewis, natives of the State of New Jersey, a full account of whom is given in this work in the sketch of William C. Lewis.  Our subject was but 6 years of age when his father died, but, by the thrift and good management of his mother, the family was kept together and Charles given an opportunity to attend school; he was reared on a farm, and has, for the greater part of his life, been a tiller of the soil.  In 1852, Mr. Lewis was united in marriage to Margaret E. Jeffrey, who, too, is a native of Warren County, where she was born in 1833, and to them were born children as follows:  Sylvan A., Mary A., Ada V., Jennie M. (deceased), William B., Charles K. and Horace W.  Mr. Lewis and wife are members of the United Brethren Church; in politics, he is a Republican.  He owns over 300 acres of land in the county.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 756
  Turtle Creek Twp. -
JOHN V. H. LEWIS, farmer; P. O. Lebanon; was born in Clear Creek Township, Warren Co., Feb. 1, 1833; his father, Paul Lewis, was born in New Jersey about 1796, and came to Ohio with his parents about 1812; is fully mentioned in the sketch of William C. Lewis; his mother, Mary (Thatcher) Lewis, was born in New Jersey about 1800.  Our subject was reared on a farm, received a limited education in his native township, and, at 20 years of age, went into the dry goods business at Lebanon, which he followed for sixteen years, after which he returned to the farm, where he has since continued.  He was married, in 1858, to Sarah Evans, a daughter of Isaac Evans, of Warren County; she was born Dec. 25, 136, on the farm adjoining where they now live; they have had seven children, viz.: Charles E., Eva E., Frank, William, Hattie, Stanley J. and Laura Ethel.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 757
  Turtle Creek Twp. -
WILLIAM C. LEWIS, retired merchant, Lebanon.  This well-known gentleman is the descendant of a family who came to Warren County in the beginning of the nineteenth century; his grandfather, Paul Lewis, emigrated from Burlington County, near Mt. Holly, N. J., in 1809, and located in Wayne Township, about three miles southwest of Waynesville.  He brought with him his wife and a family of four children, named as follows:  Nancy, William, Paul, Jr., and John; his wife dying after he settled here, he married a second wife, Miss Johanna Hunt, by whom he had two children, only one of them now surviving, viz., Jackson, a citizen of Waynesville.  Mr. Lewis moved to Waynesville in 1825, and, seven years thereafter, died; he belonged to the Society of Friends, and, for several years, served the citizens of Clear Creek Township as a Justice of the Peace.  He was a man of more than ordinary natural ability, and was held in the highest esteem by the people of his community; his son, Paul Lewis, Jr., our subject's father, was born in New Jersey in 1797, and was about 12 years of age when his father came to Ohio; he was reared on the farm and continued farming the homestead place until his death, Sept. 6, 1832; in addition to his farm operations, he teamed between Cincinnati and Sandusky, a distance of over 200 miles, and, owing to the exposures and hardships he thereby had to endure, he contracted a disease which culminated in paralysis, which carried him off in early manhood.  He was married, in 1820, to Miss Mary Thatcher, a native of Hunterdon County, near Morristown, N. J., and a daughter of Evan and Nancy Thatcher, who emigrated from New Jersey in 1814, bringing their family of five children - Mary, Naomi, Sarah, David and Amos - and their household effects on a two-horse wagon.  By his marriage to Miss Thatcher, Mr. Lewis had four children, viz.:  William C., Sarah A., Charles A. and John V. H.  After his death, his widow retained the farm until her children were all grown and married.  She died Sept. 13, 1877, aged 77 years.  William C., our subject was born Apr. 20, 1821, on the old homestead, and, until the 25th year of his age, he remained on the farm, in the meantime attending the common schools of  his township.  On the 26th of August, 1846, he engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store in Lebanon; in September, 1848, he married Caroline Noble, a daughter of Edward Noble, of Lebanon; she died Dec. 30, 1850, and, in 1853, he was again married, to Miss Abigail Morris, daughter of Adam B. and Lydia (Matthews) Morris, natives of New Jersey, from where they emigrated in 1810.  By this union, Mr. Lewis had two children, viz., Mary L., the wife of Dr. W. S. Goodhue, of Lebanon, where they reside with their two children, Bessie and an infant son; and Emma G., who lived to be 18 years of age, when she died, Feb. 3, 1878, after an illness to two years.  She was an estimable young lady, a general favorite, and, for a long time, a patient sufferer.  In 1851, Mr. Lewis engaged in the dry goods business in Lebanon with Edward Noble, under the firm name of Noble Y Lewis.  This firm continued for four years, when the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Noble retiring and Mr. Lewis' brother John entering the firm, the name being changed to Lewis & Bro., under which title they continued business for several years; afterward, the name as changed to Lewis & Co., and so continued until 1878, when Mr. Lewis retired from business.  With a fine physique and perfect health, he is now prepared to enjoy the competency he has accumulated through a life of industry and frugality.  He lost his wife on the 28th of June, 1881, after twenty-eight years of married life.  He has always been a stanch though liberal Republican, and has served his township and village as Treasurer for a period of ten years, and as a member of the Lebanon Council eight years.  He is a member of no church, but liberal in his religious opinions, with a kindly feeling for all Christian denominations and a will to uphold and quicken the interests of temperance, morality and education in his native county.  As a business man, he has been quite successful, as is made manifest by the large property he now possesses.   As a citizen, he has always stood in the front rank.  Every work of reform finds in him a warm advocate and earnest supporter.  We present his portrait on another page of this work.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 755
  Franklin Twp. -
RANSOM S. LOCKWOOD, Justice of the Peace, Franklin; son of John and Phoebe (Seeley) Lockwood, was born in Union Village, Warren County, Feb. 13, 1810.  His father was a carpenter and millwright, and built the first frame house in Union Village, which still stands, opposite the church.  His parents were of the Shaker belief; this sect at that time owned 5,000 acres of land in that vicinity, and were like a little empire; they had no schoolhouses, and would not allow their children to attend the district schools, so our subject never received a day's learning inside a schoolhouse; in fact, when he attained his 8th year,  his education was ended; when 12 years old, he went to learn the tailor's trade, at which he worked winters till 1833, laying brick during the summers; he then went to Springfield on foot, with a companion by the name of Farr; here they engaged in making clay smoking pipes; they made about fifteen thousand, then gave it up, and he went to Minktown and worked at the tailor's trade with a Mr. Stephenson one year; he then went to Waynesville and worked at his trade till 1835, when he came to Franklin and engaged as journeyman tailor for Moses McPheeters till the time of Mr. McPheeters' death, which occurred in 1837, when himself and Gabriel Scharf took the business, which they carried on nearly ten years.  In 1846, he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he has since filled, and is probably the oldest in the county.  He was married, in Franklin, in 1840, to Hannah Ross; they have four children - Laura; Ross, now in the dentist profession, office adjoining his father's; Hope, a telegraph operator in Cincinnati; and Clara.  He owns a fine brick residence on Center street, below Sixth, which he built in 1849; he also owns a fine block, corner Center and Fifth streets, where his office is located.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 807
  Hamilton Twp. -
B. F. LUDLUM, physician and surgeon, P. O., Maineville, was born in Hamilton Township in the year 1835, and is a son of Benjamin Ludlum, who was a son of Smith Ludlum, who settled in this township in the year 1803 or 1804, from New Jersey.  To Benjamin Ludlum and wife were born eleven children, eight of whom are living.  He returned to Pennsylvania in 1844,where he resided seven years, and was married to Margaret McCarter, Mar. 14, 1814.  He served in the War of 1812, and was a brick mason by trade.  He also taught in the schools of the county for a number of years; was a man successful in business and accumulated considerable property.  He died July 14, 1881, and was born July 29, 1792.  His wife died Sept. 9, 1867, and was born in Pennsylvania in 1794.  They were old and prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which they became connected in 1816.  Our subject was reared on the farm and received the rudiments of his education in the district schools, which was developed by a course of study in the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, O.  In March, 1863, he enlisted in the 66th Ohio Vol. Inf., and was commissioned Assistant Surgeon, he having previously studied medicine under Drs. Paulding, Mounts and Baker.  With the regiment he remained until the close of the war, and was discharged in July, 1865.  Upon his return to civil life he resumed his studies and graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1867, and also graduated from the Cincinnati School of Medicine and Surgery in 1863.  After practising several years in Butlerville, O.., in 1876 located in "Maineville, where he has since given his attention to the demands of his practice.  In 1866 he was married to Elizabeth Jones, daughter of Thomas Jones, by whom he had four children, viz.:  Mattie, Benjamin J., John C. and Margaret.  He belongs to the medical society of the county, and to the I. O. O. F., Maineville Lodge, No. 557, was elected Treasurer of his township in 1880, and while living in Butlerville served as Clerk of Harlan Township.  Mrs. Ludlum died at her home in Maineville, Sept 2, 1881.
Source:  History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - page 951
  Hamilton Twp. -
RICHARD LUDLUM, farmer, P. O., Morrow.  Richard Ludlum was born in Hamilton Township, Warren Co., O., on the 11th day of December, 1831.  He is the son of Benjamin and Margaret Ludlum, who were among the first settlers of Warren Co., and whose sketch appears in connection with Dr. Ludlum's, of Maineville.  Mr. Ludlum was reared on a farm, and received the rudiments of education in the ordinary district schools.  He afterwards attended Delaware University, in which institution he remained about six months.  He then returned to his home on the farm, where his services were required.  He was married on Mar. 15, 1855, to Maria Simonton, daughter of Alexander Simonton, of Warren Co.  To them were born three children, viz.:  Charles A., Alice C. and Elmer.  Mr. Ludlum is a zealous member of the Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church.  He has been successful in business, and is the owner of 235 acres of fine, tillable land.
Source:  History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - page 951
  Union Twp. -
NATHAN K. LYTLE, distiller, South Lebanon.  This gentleman was born in Union Township in 1843, and is a son of Robert Lytle, who was a son of Andrew Lytle, one of the first settlers in Warren County, of whom mention is made in this work.  Robert Lytle departed this life in 1872 or 1873.  Our subject was reared on the farm, and received a common education in the district schools, which was extended by a course of study in the Maineville Academy.  He was married in 1864 to Katie M., daughter of Col. William Miner, who was once a prominent citizen of Warren County.  To them have been born three children, viz.:  Mary, William and John R.  Since his marriage, he has been engaged in distilling in different parts of the country, and of which he has a practical knowledge.  His mother, Cynthia (Keever) Lytle, is still living, and resides in California, and her son, who is a quicksilver expert.
Source: History of Warren Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882 - Page 1059

.



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
WARREN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights