OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wayne County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

Source:
History of Wayne County, Ohio
from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time
Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 
1878

CHAPTER XXIX.

Wayne County Soldiers in the Civil War
Pg. 749

(Contributed by Sharon Wick)
 


"They never vail who die
In a great cause.  The block may soak their gore;
Their heads may sodden in the sun; their limbs
Big strung to city gates or castle walls;
But still their spirits walk abroad, though years
Elapse, and others share as dark a doom.
They but augment the deep and sweeping thoughts
Which overspread all others, and conduct
The world at last to Freedom
 

     To produce a history of the patriotism, courage, discipline and service of the soldier of Wayne county we have not space, data or ability.  Owing to the great variety of topics demanding our attention, any attempt in that direction would result in failure.  All we can hope to do is to briefly outline the principal events in their military service.
     The part enacted by Wayne county was prompt and conspicuous, having furnished, from 1861 to 1865, over 3,200 volunteers, not including a considerable conscript force.  The volunteers were distributed among the various regiments, as follows:  One company to the 4th Regiment; one to the 16th, in the three months, and five in the three years' service; one to the 41st; five to the 120th; three to the 102d; one to the 107th; three to the 169th National Guards, and a detachment of 30 men to the 85th Ohio.  These were all infantry organizations. Wayne county also furnished one company to McLaughlin's Squadron Ohio Cavalry, one company to the 9th Ohio Cavalry, small detachments for several artillery companies, besides many fragmentary enlistments in different infantry organizations.
     Fort Sumpter was fired upon April 12, 1861, and that hostile demonstration precipitated civil war.  Wooster shared in the patriotic excitement, and recruiting commenced Instanter.
     The first public meeting of the citizens was held in the Court House, on the evening of April 16, when a wildly patriotic crowd assembled.  Hon. William Given was chosen Chairman and James McMillen, Secretary.  Patriotic speeches were made by Judge Given, Eugene Pardee, William M. Orr, and others.  Recruiting, however, had been going on previously, and fifty men had been enlisted by James McMillen, Jacob Shultz and R. B. Spink, the company - the pioneer one of Wayne county - being filled out that evening at the meeting.   The following, as published at that date, are

THE NAMES OF THE FIRST VOLUNTEERS:

Anderson, Francis M. Fitch, John McGlennen, William
Armstrong, George Flack, David McKelvey, Edward
Armstrong, John Fogleson, Corondon McMillen, James
Arnold, H. W. France, Marion Miller, Frank
Arnold, Levi Francis, George C. Moffitt, James
Barrett, John F. Gordon, Samuel Mohn, D.
Baumgardner, William H. Gray, Alexander Musser, George
Best, David Gray, Cyrus Mutscheler, George
Black, Anthony A. Graybill, L. Patterson, George
Black, D. Y. Groff, John Patterson, I. U.
Black, James Hanson, William H. Pollinger, David S.
Bodine, Joseph D. Headrich, Henry Pratt, Joseph D.
Brandt, J. C. Heffelfinger, Sylvester Pritchard, John C.
Brighton, William Held, Harmon Reamer, S.
Brinkerhoff, D. O. Hite, George Sands, W. W.
Brown, Hubbard Hoag, Ezra N. Sanford, J. B.
Bucher, W. H. Jahla, John Scoby, L. H.
Carey, George W. Johnson, John H. Segner, Robert
Carr, J. H. Keehn, Frank Shreve, Hiempsel
Cassiday, D. S. Kennedy, Robert Shultz, Jacob
Chapman, Alfred Kope, Aaron Singer, William
Cline, George Kope, James Smedley, Edwin
Cline, William Kramer, Benjamin Smith, Matt M.
Cole, Thomas Lake, Joseph J. Smyser, Harmon
Cook, H. H. Lawrence, William Sowers, George
Cutter, Henry Lehman, L. S. Spink, R. B.
Dice, A. H. Lewis, Clifford Springer, John
Dice, Tomas Lightcap, W. M. Stewart, George
Duck, John W. Long, Charles W. Swearingen, J. S.
Dyarmon, Orlando Lyon, John F. Swickey, Henry
Dyherman, Nathan McClarran, H. O. Ulrich, William H.
Eberly, William McClarran, Thomas Urban, William
Eberman, William G. McClure, A. S. Vanata, Peter O.
Egbert, Joseph McClure, C. W. Wain, John
Everly, Evan McClure, W. H. Warner, T. C. 
Fishburn, Howard McElhenie, Robert Wilson, Jacob

     They immediately organized by electing James McMillen, Captain; Jacob Shultz, First Lieutenant; and R. B. Spink, Second Lieutenant.

THE 4TH OHIO

     On Monday, April 21, 1861, the first company left Wooster for Columbus.  The excitement ran high; flags floated from nearly every building, and upward of ten thousand people from town and the country lined the streets from the Court House to the railroad station.   At the depot speeches were made on behalf of the citizens, by Judge Given, Dr. Firestone, William M. Orr, Eugene Pardee, Benjamin Eason, and others, and on the part of the volunteers by Captain James McMillen, A. S. McClure and Levi Graybill.
     The company departed for the State Capital amid the tears and acclamations of the multitude.
     Arriving in Columbus, they were, on April 25, incorporated with the 4th Ohio Infantry, becoming Company E.  The field officers of the regiment were:  Colonel, Lorin Andrews (the well-known and highly-honored President of Kenyon College, who had volunteered as a private in a Mt. Vernon company); Lieutenant-Colonel, James Cantwell; Major, James H. Godman.  The ranks were filled by two companies from Marion, two from Delaware, to from Mt. Vernon, two from Kenton, one from Canton, and one from Wooster.
     April 29, the regiment moved to Camp Dennison, and on May 4 was mustered into the three months' service by Captain Gordon Graner, U. S. A.  A few days thereafter, President Lincoln's call for three years' men was made public, whereupon the majority of Company E and the regiment re-enlisted for that period, and were mustered in for three years, dating from the 5th of June, 1861.
     The regiment left Camp Dennison on the 20th of June, 1861, for West Virginia, where it participated in the campaign against Rich Mountain, under General George B. McClellan.  It was then ordered to New Creek, Md., remaining three several days.  On the 9th of August it marched to Camp Pendleton, on the summit of the Alleghenies, where they encamped and fortified.
     In the middle of September Lieutenant-Colonel Cantwell, with six companies of the regiment, among which was company E, made an attack on the Confederates at Romney, Va., driving them from the town in great disorder, and with severe loss.  They were, however, reinforced in a few hours, and the 4th, in considerable hurry, compelled to evacuate the place and retreat to Fort Pendleton.  John F. Barrett, of Wooster, a member of company E, was severely wounded in this engagement, being the first Wayne county soldier shot in the war; William Cline of Wooster, was also wounded at the same time.
     One month thereafter, October 26, the 4th, with other troops under command of General Kelley, again advanced on Romney, took the town after a short engagement, with a loss of 14 killed and wounded, the Confederates suffering a number killed, and all his baggage, two pieces of artillery, and a number of prisoners captured.
     Romney was evacuated on the 10th of January, and the regiment transferred to Patterson's creek, on the north branch of the Potomac, and thence, on February 9, to Paw-Paw Tunnel on the B. & O. railroad - here, under General Lander, participating in the capture of Bloomery Gap, with a large number of Confederate prisoners and stores.  Lander shortly after dying at Paw-Paw, General James Shields took command of the division, and marched on Martinsburg, which the Confederates evacuated, after destroying a large amount of railroad and other property.  On March 11, Shield's division moved on Winchester, and on the 23d and 24th engaged Stonewall Jackson in the retreat up the Shenandoah valley, proceeding on to Strasburg, Edinburg, New Market and Harrisonburg.
     On the 12th of May the 4th regiment marched via Luray, Front Royal, Chester Gap, Warrenton, Catlett's Station, etc., to join McDowell's corps, at Fredericksburg, arriving there on the 22d.  The next day the regiment, with others of Shield's division, was ordered back to the Valley, via Manassas Junction.  It reached Front Royal on the 30th, drove the enemy from that place, released a regiment of Union troops they had taken, captured a large quantity of ammunition and supplies and a number of prisoners.  On the 3d of Jun it moved toward Luray, and on the 7th a forced march was made by the brigade to Port Republic, reaching there in time to check the enemy and cover the retreat of a portion of Shield's division, under General Carroll.
     After marching and counter-marching in the Valley, the 4th was ordered to Alexandria, where it embarked to join McClellan's army, then operating against Richmond.  It arrived on the last of the Seven-days' Battle, and was immediately under fire, losing several men.   On the evacuation of the Peninsula by the National forces, August 16, 1862, the regiment returned to Alexandria.  Captain James McMillen was accidentally drowned at Alexandria during the embarkation of the regiment for the Peninsula.
     Its next important service was at the battle of Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862, where the regiment, as well as Company E, suffered heavily.  Lieutenant William Brighton of the company was killed in this engagement.  May 3, the regiment participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, again suffering heavy loss.
     Its next great battle was Gettysburg, on the 1st, 2d and 3d of July, 1863, where its losses were also large.  The 4th was one of the three regiments that drove the Confederates from Cemetery Hill, after they had driven a part of the Eleventh Corps from the field and gained possession of two of our batteries.  Generals Hancock, Howard, Gibbon, and other prominent Generals witnessed this charge, and gave it their praise.
     Shortly after this battle the regiment was ordered to New York City to assist in quelling a spirit of insubordination which had manifested itself in that metropolis.  From New York the 4th was ordered to Alexandria.  After arduous campaigning in Virginia, the regiment went into the winter quarters at Stevensburg, on the 1st of December, 1863.  It then participated in Grant's campaign against Richmond, in the battles of the Wilderness, of Spottsylvania Court House, Coal Harbor, etc.
     Company E accompanied the regiment in all these campaigns and battles.  Toward the close of the war, with ranks thinned by the bullets of the enemy and by disease, the company was mustered out of service, having traveled in its campaigns an aggregate of four thousand two hundred and fifty-four miles, and at all times maintained the highest reputation for discipline, soldierly behavior, and good conduct on the battlefield.

THE 16TH OHIO

     The second company from Wayne county was organized in Wooster in the latter part of April, 1861.  Recruiting for it commenced on the 20th of April, and by the 25th the company was full, when the following officers were elected; Captain, George W. Bailey; First Lieutenant, Aquila Wiley; Second Lieutenant, Cusham Cunningham.  April 28, the company was ordered to Columbus, where it was joined to the 16th Ohio Infantry.
     After remaining in Camp Jackson, near Columbus, several weeks for equipment and drill, it was sent to West Virginia, and took part in the battle of Phillippi, one of the first engagements of the war.  The Wooster company, under the command of Captain Wiley (Captain Bailey having been promoted to the Major of the regiment), was stationed at Grafton, West Virginia, and at Oakland, Maryland, during the residue of the three months' service.  On the expiration of its term of enlistment the company was mustered out and returned home.
     The 16th Ohio, for three years' service, was organized at Camp Tiffin, near Wooster, on the 2d of October, 1861.  The regimental camp was located in Quinby Grove, a short distance north-west of the present site of the University.  Five companies were recruited in Wayne county, commanded by Eli W. Botsford, Hamilton Richeson, Samuel Smith, George U. Harn and A. S. McClure.  The field officers were:  Colonel, John F. DeCourcey; Lieutenant-Colonel, George W. Bailey; Major, Phillip Keshner.
     The regiment moved to Camp Dennison, Nov. 27, 1861.  It remained there until Dec. 19, when it was ordered to Lexington, Ky.  From Lexington it proceeded to join General Thomas' forces, then operating against Zollicoffer's command in Southern Kentucky.  After toilsome marches through mud and rain the regiment remained near Somerset until the 31st of January, 1862, when it was directed to Cumberland Ford, reaching there on the 12th of February.  Troops were assembling at the Ford, under the command of General George W. Morgan, to dislodge the Confederate forces occupying Cumberland Gap, a few miles distant.  In March and April several reconnoisances were made in the vicinity of the Gap, during which sharp skirmishing took place with the enemy.  The 16th lost several men in killed and wounded during the desultory actions.   In June, Morgb an's forces, composed of Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee troops, succeeded in crossing the Cumberland mountains by Powell's Gap, thus effecting a lodgement in rear of Cumberland Gap, and necessitating its evacuation by the Confederates.  The enemy retreated to Knoxville, Tennessee, and the Union forces occupied the abandoned stronghold without further resistance.
     On the 6th of August the 16th was ordered to Tazewell, Tenn., to relieve the 14th Kentucky.  After reaching this place and relieving the 14th, was regiment encountered the advance of Kirby Smith's army, in motion to invade Kentucky.  A sharp engagement ensued, in which the 16th was overwhelmed by numbers and forced to retreat to the Gap, with a severe loss in killed, wounded and captured.  The situation of the Union troops in Cumberland Gap was not extremely perilous.  They were surrounded on all sides and heir supplies cut off.  General Morgan determined to abandon the Gap and retreat to the Ohio river.  After a toilsome march of sixteen days through the mountainous region of Kentucky the command reached the Ohio at Greenupsburg, Ky., on the 3d of October, 1862.
     After recuperating at Portland, Ohio, the 16th was ordered to Charlston, West Virginia, and from thence to Memphis, Tennessee, to join General Sherman's command, then organizing for the capture of Vicksburg.  In December Sherman's forces moved down the Mississippi on transports, arriving at the mouth of the Yazoo on Christmas.  The troops proceeded up the Yazoo several miles, where they were disembarked, and prepared to assault Vicksburg on the Chicasaw Bluffs side.  On the 28th of December the enemy was driven out of his line of rifle-pits in front of the Bluffs, and on the 29th Morgan's division was ordered to assault them.  The position of the Confederates was impregnable, and the assault was very disastrous.  The 16th lost very heavily in this engagement.  Captain G. U. Harn was killed; Captain Van Dorn wounded and captured; Captain Ross wounded; Captain McClure wounded and captured; Lieutenant P. M. Smith wounded and captured; Lieutenant Heckert wounded and captured; Lieutenant Colonel Kershner wounded and captured; Lieutenant Voorhees wounded and captured; Captains Mills and Cunningham, and Lieutenant Buchanan captured.  The regiment lost in this engagement 311 officers and men killed, wounded and captured.
     The next service of the regiment was at Arkansas Post, in which assault it lost several men.  It then returned to Young's Point, on the Mississippi river, and from there it moved to Milliken's Bend, where it encamped until April 6, 1863.  The regiment then participated in Grant's Campaign against Vicksburg, in the battle of Champion Hills, Thompson's Hill, Black River Bridge, and in the assaults on the entrenchments of Vicksburg, on the 19th and 22d of May, 1863, losing severely in each of these engagements.
     After the capture of Vicksburg, on the 4th of July, the regiment joined the forces of General Sherman in his expedition against Jackson, Miss.  In the assault on this place Captain Richeson was wounded and several of the Wayne county boys killed.  Returning to Vicksburg the regiment went into camp, but was soon sent to New Orleans to join General Banks' expedition, then fitting out for operations in Western Louisiana.  After a short campaign up the valley of the Teche to Opelousa the regiment returned to New Orleans to join General Washburn's expedition to Texas.  The regiment disembarked at DeCrows Point, Matagorda Peninsula, and moved from thence to Indianola, returning to New Orleans April 12, 1864.  From New Orleans it was ordered to Alexandria, on the Red river, to 43-inforce Banks' command, which was retreating before the forces of Dick Taylor.  On arriving at Alexandria the 16th was immediately placed at the front, and participated in several light engagements.  Returning to Alexandria it was detached to help construct a dam in Red river to facilitate the escape of the iron-clad fleet.  From here Banks retreated to Morganza Bend, on the Mississippi, the 16th forming a part of the rear guard in this disorderly retreat.
     On reaching Morganza Bend the regiment went into camp, from where it was ordered to Columbus, Ohio, for muster out, returning there, and was discharged October, 31, 1864.
     The 16th was one of the best disciplined regiments in the service.  Its Colonel John F. DeCourcy, was a professional soldier, having served many years in the British army.  The regiment was noted throughout for its fine military bearing.

THE 41sT OHIO

     Company C of the 41st Ohio was recruited in Wayne county, in August and September, 1861.  Its officers were Aquila Wiley, Captain; F. E. Pancoast, 1st Lieutenant, and Rufus B. Hardy, 2d Lieutenant.  In the early part of September the company was ordered to Cleveland, where it was mustered into the 41st, on the 19th of September.  The field officers of the regiment were: Colonel, William B. Hazen; Lieutenant-Colonel, John J. Wizeman; Major, George S. Mygatt.  On the 6th of November the regiment was ordered to Camp Dennison, and from thence to Gallipolis, and from there it was ordered to Louisville, where it became a part of the Army of the Ohio, under command of General Buell.
     During the winter the regiment was encamped at Camp Wickliffe.  In April, 1862, it participated in the battle of Shiloh, where it lost in the first day's action 141 officers and men killed and wounded.  Captain Aquila Wiley was severely wounded in this battle; also Lieutenant Pancoast, who subsequently died from the effects of his wound.
     After a good deal of arduous campaigning in Alabama and Tennessee during the summer of 1862, the regiment joined in the retreat of Buell to Louisville, and shortly after reaching there engaged in the battle of Perryville, fought October 2, 1862.  Its next important service was at the battle of Murfreesboro, where it lost 112 men killed and wounded.
     In January, 1863, the regiment moved to Readyville, about twelve miles from Murfreesboro, where it remained until the 24th of June.  During the months of July and August the 41st kept in constant motion, and on September 19, 1863, participated in the battle of Chickamauga, in which engagement it greatly distinguished itself.
     The next important battle in which it participated was Mission Ridge, fought November 23 and 25.  Here 115 men of the 41st fell.  Colonel Wiley lost a leg while gallantly leading the charge.  General Thomas, on the field, complimented the regiment highly for its splendid conduct.
     After this battle they marched to Knoxville, and there re-enlisted as veterans; and, when the men had enjoyed the veteran furlough, the regiment, with 100 recruits, rejoined its division in East Tennessee, placed in a battalion with the 1st Ohio, Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly commanding.
     The regiment then participated in nearly all the battles of Sherman in his campaign against Atlanta- Rocky Face Ridge, Dallas, Piney Top Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, etc.  Its loss during this campaign was 158 men, the regiment dwindling to a mere skeleton of only 99 men.
     On the occupation of Atlanta by the national forces the 41st was sent in pursuit of Hood, and participated in Thomas' victory over the Confederate general in front of Nashville.
     In June, 1865, the regiment was ordered to Texas, where it was stationed near San Antonio until November, and then ordered mustered out.  It reached Columbus, Ohio, about the middle of the month, and was finally discharged on the 26th of November, 1865, after four years and one month's service.
     Company C, 41st Ohio, was a splendid company, of first reputation in all respects, and saw more real hard service than, perhaps, any other company raised in Wayne county.

THE 120TH OHIO

     Four companies, and a large part of a fifth company, in the 120th Regiment were raised in Wayne county.  Joseph H. Downing, George P. Emrich, Benjamin Eason and William G. Myers w3ere elected Captains of their respective companies.  The field officers were: Colonel, Daniel French; Lieutenant-Colonel, Marcus M. Spiegel; Major, John W. Beekman.  The five Wayne county companies were recruited in August, 1862, and rendezvoused at Camp Mansfield on the 29th of August.  On the 17th of October it was mustered into service, and on the 25th of the same month moved to Covington, Ky., from which point it departed,  November 24, for Memphis, Tenn., reaching there December 7.  Here the regiment was assigned to Colonel Sheldon's brigade, of Morgan's division, being a part of the Army of the Tennessee, under command of General Sherman, and destined to operate against Vicksburg.
     On the 20th of December the regiment moved on transports down the Mississippi river, then up the Yazoo, where it disembarked at Johnson's Landing, and participated in the assault against Vicksburg.  After the repulse of the national forces from Vicskburg, the regiment embarked on transports, and accompanied the expedition against Arkansas Post, which resulted successfully.  The 120th charged splendidly on the enemy's works in this engagement.
     From Arkansas Post the regiment returned to Young's Point, and went into camp.  Here it was decimated by disease, measles, typhus and malarial fever working sad havoc in its ranks.  At one time over half the regiment was reported on the sick list.  The officers became discouraged and resigned in large numbers, which contributed to the despondency of the men.
     In April, the 120th took part in Grant's campaign against Vicksburg, engaging in the battles of Champion Hill, Thompson's Hill, the Black River, and in the charges on Vicksburg, on the 22d of May.  It behaved gallantly in all of these actions.  After the fall of Vicksburg the regiment joined Sherman's expedition against Jackson, holding the right of this column in its advance.  In the operations against Jackson, Lieutenant Totten was mortally wounded, and Colonel Spiegel and Lieutenant Spear were severely wounded.
     The regiment returned to Vicksburg on the 20th of July, 1863, and on the 8th of August embarked for New Orleans to join Banks' expedition in Western Louisiana.  It participated in the campaign in the valley of the Teche, and was then sent to Plaquemine, a small town on the Mississippi river, where it remained until March, 1864, being then ordered to Baton Rouge.
     On the 1st of May, the 120th was ordered to join Banks, then operating in the direction of Shreveport.  The regiment embarked on the transport City Belle, for Alexandria, and when passing up Red river it was ambuscaded at Snaggy Point, by 5,000 of the Confederates concealed behind the levee.  A murderous artillery and infantry fire was opened on the crowded boat, and the deck was soon slippery with blood.  After a short but ineffectual struggle against overwhelming odds, the 120th was compelled to display the white flag.  During the conflict the City Belle drifted to the opposite side of the river, where quite a number of the 120th escaped.  Colonel Spiegel, Surgeon Stanton, Assistant-Surgeon Gill, Captains J. R. Rummel, Miller, Fraundfelder and Jones, Lieutenants Applegate, Baer and Rouch, and two hundred men, fell into the hands of the Confederates, besides the bodies of the killed.  Colonel Spiegel was mortally wounded, and died next day.  He was on of the noblest of men, and "bravest of the brave."  The prisoners were at once marched off to Camp Ford, near Tyler, Texas, where they were confined until the close of the war.
     After this disaster the remnant of the regiment retreated with Banks' forces to Morganza, La., where it was consolidated with the 114th Ohio Infantry.  On the consolidation the following officers of the 120th were honorably discharged:  Lieutenant-Colonel Slocum, Captains Au, Harvey, Taylor and Jones, and Lieutenants Van Ostern and Hughes.
     This ended the career of the 120th as a regimental organization.  It was a good regiment, but was overwhelmed with a series of disasters.

THE 102D OHIO

     The 102d regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry was organized under President's call of July 1, 1862, for 300,00 men for three years.  Three companies were enlisted in Wayne county, by Captain  John W. Stout, Jonas D. Elliott and James E. Robison.  The field officers of the regiment were:  Colonel, William Given;  Lieutenant-Colonel, Abraham Baker; Major, George H. Topping; William H. McMonigal was Adjutant.  Recruiting commenced in July, 1862, and in August the Wayne county companies moved to Camp Mansfield.  On the 4th of September of regiment left for Kentucky, crossing the Ohio river at Cincinnati on the morning of the 5th.
     It was mustered into service the next day at Covington.  On September 22d it was transported in boats to Louisville, and was present at the battle of Perryville, but not engaged.  From there it was sent to Crab Orchard, and from thence to Bowling Green, Kentucky, arriving on the 30th of October.  On the 19th of December the regiment moved to Russelville, and from there to Clarksville, Tennessee, reaching that point on Christmas night, where it remained nine months.
     On the 30th of October 1863, the regiment went into winter quarters at Nashville, Tennessee, where it remained six months, doing duty in the city.  From Nashville it was transferred to Tullahoma, Tennessee, where it was occupied guarding a railroad from Normandy to Dechera.  On the 6th of June the regiment marched across the Cumberland mountains to Belfonte, Alabama, the left wing of the regiment, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Elliott, stationed at Dodsonville.  The regiment was now engaged in defending the line of the Tennessee river from Stevenson to the foot of Seven-Mile Island, a distance of fifty miles.  As security against attack, twelve block-houses were erected along this line.  In defense of the line the regiment performed invaluable service, and had frequent encounters with the enemy.  Having been relieved from this duty, and road was engaged in patrolling the Tennessee and Alabama railroad, from Decatur to Columbia.  September 15th the regiment went into camp at Decatur.
     Colonel Given, commandant of the post, on September 23d, was directed to send a detachment of four hundred men to re-enforce the fort at Athens.  The detachment was composed of soldiers from the 18th Michigan and road Ohio, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Elliott, of the latter regiment.  This command encountered the Confederate General Forrest near Athens, where it was surrounded and overwhelmed by the superior force of the enemy.  After a gallant fight the detachment was forced to surrender.  Lieutenant-Colonel Elliott received a mortal wound in this action.  The officers were taken to Selma, and the men to Cahaba, Alabama.  The men were finally parolled and placed on board the Sultana, at Vicksburg.  During the passage up the river the boat was blown up, April 28, 1865. and, as nearly as can be ascertained, eighty-one of the road Regiment lost their lives by the disaster.
     The regiment was in Decatur at the time of its siege by Hood, and was highly complimented for its behavior.
     On the 30th day of June, 1865, the regiment was mustered out of service at Nashville, Tennessee.  It proceeded to Columbus, Ohio, and was there discharged July 8, 1865.
     The road was made up of excellent men, and displayed great bravery and skill whenever it was called upon to engage the enemy.

THE 107TH OHIO

     Captain Gustave Buecking's company of the 107th Ohio Infantry was raised chiefly in Wooster, from the patriotic Germans of the city.  Recruiting for it commenced the latter part of July, 1862, and the company was soon filled to its maximum.  In August it was ordered to Cleveland, where it was incorporated with the 107th, whose field officers were:  Colonel, Seraphim Meyer; Lieutenant-Colonel, Charles Mueller; Major, George Arnold.
     Soon after organization the regiment was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac.  Its first important battle was Chancellorsville.  The 107th belonged to Howard's Eleventh Corps, which was so terribly handled by Stonewall Jackson, and lost 220 men killed, wounded and captured in this battle.  Its next general engagement was Gettysburg, where the regiment was almost annihilated, losing over four hundred men in killed, wounded and prisoners, out of 550 that entered the battle.
     August 1, 1863, the 107th sailed in transports to Folly Island, South Carolina, and performed picket duty there until January, 1864.  After the resignation of Colonel Seraphen Meyer the discipline of the regiment steadily improved.  From Folly Island the regiment was taken to Jacksonville, Florida, where it had several skirmishes with the Confederates.  It returned to South Carolina on the 23d of March, 1865, and met a detachment of the enemy, defeating him, capturing three pieces of artillery, six horses and fifteen prisoners.
     The regiment did provost duty in Charleston, South Carolina, during the balance of its service until July 10, 1865, when it was mustered out and sent home to Cleveland, where it was discharged.
     The 107th was made up of Germans.  It was a fine regiment, its members displaying their earnest patriotism and heroic valor on many occasions.
     Wayne county also furnished a detachment of recruits, nearly one hundred in number, under Captain William Henderson, for the 9th Ohio Cavalry.  They were enlisted in December, 1863, and January, 1864, and served with Sherman on the march to the sea, being under Kilpatrick's command.  The company was with that General when his camp was raided by Humphrey's cavalry.  They were at the battle of Averysboro and Bentonville, North Carolina.  At the close of the war they were mustered out and returned home.
     A detachment of Cavalry was recruited in Wayne county, in October, 1861, by Lieutenant Benjamin Lake, for McLaughlin's Squadron, joining the Squadron at Mansfield, in the latter part of the month.  In November it left for Eastern Kentucky, where it engaged in desultory campaigning for nearly two years, taking part in the battles of Middle Creek, Pikeville and Pound Gap.  In August, 1863, the Squadron left Eastern Kentucky and joined the Twenty-third Army Corps, under General Hartsuff, marching to Knoxville, where it remained until January 10, 1864, then re-enlisting as veterans.  After recruiting up to its maximum, it joined General Stoneman's command in the raid to Macon.  It suffered severely in this raid.  It then operated on Sherman's flank in the movement against Atlanta; and afterwards was placed under Kilpatrick's command, going with Sherman on his march to Savannah; thence it went with the national forces through South and North Carolina.  It was mustered out of service at Camp Chase, Ohio, November 17, 1865.
     A detachment of thirty men was enlisted by Lieutenant Joseph C. Plummer, for three months' service, in the 85th Ohio, which guarded the prisoners at Camp Chase, near Columbus, Ohio.
     Three companies of the Ohio National Guards, under Captains Harry C. Shirk, William K. Boone and Abraham Gift, were raised in Wayne county, for one hundred days' service, and joined the 169th Regiment National Guards, of which J. H. Carr was Lieutenant-Colonel.  The regiment was organized at Cleveland, May 19, 1864, and was immediately ordered to Washington, where it participated in the defeat of Early's army, and performed garrison duty in Fort Ethan Allen.  So proficient did the regiment become in tactics under Colonel Carr, that General DeRussy declared it equal in that respect to any three years' regiment in his command.  During its four months' service the regiment suffered severely from sickness, nearly two hundred men dying or becoming permanently disabled by disease.  It was mustered out September 4, 1874.
     Wayne county has reason to be proud of its record in the civil war.  Her soldiers participated in every great battle, and her dead lie in every Southern State.

-----------------------------------------------

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
WAYNE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights