SUGAR CREEK TOWNSHIP
Was organized, April 11, 1812. Its population, by the census of 1870, was 2,006. The following is the list of officers of the township, as appears upon the official records:
of the Peace - Benjamin Griffith, April 27, 1832; Richard
Cahill, April 19, 1832; Benjamin Griffith, April 18, 1835;
Richard Cahill, April 16, 1836; Benjamin Griffith, April 30,
1838; Richard Cahill, April 13, 1839; Samuel Brice, April
16, 1851; Richard Cahill, April 13, 1842; Samuel Fickes,
April 25, 1844; John Rotz, April 16, 1845; Peter Group,
October 24, 1846; John Gallatin, April 14, 1847; Charles C.
Parsons, April 12, 1848; Fred Fluke, April 12, 1849; John
Gallatin, April 11, 1850; Frede Fluke, April 21, 1852; Joseph
McClelland, April 21, 1852, Simon P. Snyder, April 17, 1855;
Joseph McClelland, April 14, 1855; Fred Fluke, April 14,
1858; Joseph McClelland, April 14, 1858; Samuel Zook, April
19, 1859; Jacob Dague, April 17, 1860; John W. Baughman,
April 17, 1860; Isaac Goudy, April 17, 1863; John W. Baughman,
April 17, 1863; John W. Baughman, April 13, 1866; Isaac Gaudy,
April 13, 1866; E. D. Otis, April 13, 1869; John Brownfield,
April 13, 1869; Jacob Fritz, April 13, 1869; Jesse Cook,
April 12, 1870; E. D. Otis, April 9, 1872; Jesse Cook,
October 22, 1873; E. D. Otis, April 12, 1875; Anthony Arnold,
October 18, 1876; J. B. Douglass, 1877.
John Gaudy was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1803. His father, James Goudy, came to what is Sugarcreek township as early as 1809, and settled near Dalton, on the quarter of land now owned by John Eckard, the land having been entered by his brother John, from whom James purchased it at about four dollars per acre. His brother John had been in the township prior to this even. William and Thomas came in at a very early date, and built a mill, which they sold to a Mr. Karstetter. James Gaudy, the father of John, was in St. Clair's defeat, November 4, 1791, where he was wounded in the right groin, which, but for the thickness of his clothes, would have killed him. After being shot he traveled eighteen miles, when he paused by the wayside and ate the flesh of a dead horse, which he afterwards declared was the best meat he had ever eaten. He carried the bullet in his body for a great many years, but finally died from the effects of the wound. He was a member of the Presbyterian church (Dr. Hanna's). The subject of this notice remained with his father until he was twenty-one years of age, and throughout a protracted life has displayed great industry, business foresight, culminating in the acquisition of moneys and lands. He has been twice married. First to Christina Cook, and second to Eliza A. Bailey. He attended the school of Samuel Cook. Mr. Goudy is a member of the Presbyterian church of Dalton.
Reminiscences of Jacob Cox - John Kenney and John Goudy were the first settlers in Sugarcreek township, and John and James Goudy were the next, and after them came my father, Peter Cox, and then Samuel Cook, William Homan, and Rev. James Adams, who was the first preacher in the locality. William Homan was the first Justice of the Peace, elected about 1826. At an early day an election was held where Sugarcreek, East Union, Baughman and Greene, corner, and every man who attended it went home with two officers. The first school-house built was on the farm where I live, and Samuel Cook was the first man to teach school in Sugarcreek township. It was a subscription school, and the rates were fifty cents per capita per month to the pupil, and in the absence of money most anything else received for pay. The first school-house erected in Dalton stood upon the site of the present cemetery, the first teacher being Peter Vorrhes. The first church (Presbyterian) was built near the south-west corner of the quarter now owned by S. Snavely, Samuel Arnold owning the land at that time, Rev. James Adams being the first minister. This was the first church built in the town or township. William Goudy built the first grist-mill, on lands now owned by John Cully, three miles south-west of Dalton. It was constructed of logs, had one run of burrs, made of niggerheads, the neighbors helping to dig the race. It was built in 1823-24. William Goudy and Sarah Bates were probably the first couple married in the township - in 1815. John Kenney's wife was the first woman buried in the Presbyterian graveyard west of Dalton.
Jacob Cox was born in Fayette county, Pa., August 29, 1801.
His father, Peter Cox, was a farmer, and a native of Pennsylvania,
on the Susquehanna river, and was born in 1775. His grandfather
emigrated at an early date from Hamburg, Germany, and after his arrival,
as was the usage, was sold, his period of servitude being seven years,
during which time he made three unsuccessful efforts to escape. When
he crossed the Allegheny mountains to settle in Fayette county, Pa., he
had six children, two of whom, Peter, the father of Jacob, and a sister,
wee packed in wallets, one in one end and one in the other, and placed on
was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., Jan. 4, 1781, and immigrated to
Wayne county in 1816, the following year removing to the farm where his
son, Jesse Cook, now lives, and which he purchased from James
Goudy, who had entered it. In the summer of 1816 he taught
the first school ever taught in Sugarcreek township. He
was married prior to his coming here to Elizabeth McWillilams, of
Westmoreland county, and had the following children: Sylvanus, born
February 28, 1802; Robert, born December 3, 1803; Asa, born December 23,
1805; James, born March 9, 1808; Christena, born June 16, 1810;
October 26, 1812; Samuel, born August 29, 1815; Jemima, born April 3,
1818; John, born April 30, 1820; Jesse, born May 26, 1822;
July 20, 1824. The first seven were born in Pennsylvania, and all
are living save Sylvanus and Samuel, the latter dying unmarried in East
Union township, the former in Noble county, Indiana, in 1833.
Rev. Archibald Hanna was born in Washington county, Pa., February 12, 1790. In 1802 his father removed to Harrison county, Ohio, and here is son commenced his studies, under Rev. Rea and Rev. McMillan. He entered Jefferson College in 1810 and in 1811 he united with the church at Chartiers, under the pastorate of Rev. John McMillan, D. D. He concluded his college course in 1815 and entered upon the study of Hebrow, under Rev. John Walker, afterwards studying theology under Rev. John Rea, D. D., there being then but three theological seminaries in the United States. April 4, 1816, he was married to Mary Ramage, of Belmont county, Ohio, and in 1818 he was licensed by the Presbytery, and transferred to that of Steubenville, and in 1819 removed to Wayne county and began work at Mt. Eaton, Pigeon Run and Fredericksburg. From 1824 he devoted his entire time to the churches of Mt. Eaton and Fredericksburg, and in 1831 resigned the pastoral care of Mt. Eaton, devoting all his time to Fredericksburg. In 1838 he accepted calls from Dalton and Pigeon Run. From 1845 to 1851 he gave his whole time to the Dalton church, where he resigned his pastoral work, being then in his 68th year, and during which time he received into the communion of the Presbyterian church 557, administering baptism 538 times. His wife dying April 23, 1859, he was again married in March, 1860, to Mrs. Sarah Galbraith. He was the father of twelve children. This faithful and eloquent divine departed to his reward several years ago, after a long life of usefulness and religious labor.
Dalton. - Rev. James Adams had the town of Dover surveyed October 16, 1817, by A Porter, and embraced 46 lots, as originally laid out. Sharon was surveyed March 29, 1828, by C. W. Christmas, and contained 30 lots. Middletown was laid out by Jacob Switzer and John Jameson, and was surveyed December 27, 1828, by William Henderson, and embraced 54 in-, and 11 out-lots. The entity of these three towns ceasing to exist, we have the village of Dalton, which was incorporated August 14, 1856, and September 27th an election was held. We here subjoin a list of officers since then: Mayor, William Yergin; Recorder, J. T. Albright; Trustees, John Wright, John Fletcher, John Goudy, Frederick Lininger and C. S. Fenton. Mayors since then: E. Whitney, 1857; Fred Fluke, 1858; D. Groff, 1859; Adam Tanner, 1860; Thomas Marshall, 1861; Valentine Moffatt, 1862; Peter Foust, 1863; E. D. Otis, 1864; Robert Slusser, 1865; John Homan, 1866 (Homan resigned and L. G. Harley, M. D., was appointed); Peter Foust, 1867 (Foust resigned and R. Slusser was appointed); C. S. Wertz, 1868; F. F. H. Pope, M. D., 1859 (Pope resigned and R. T. Myler was appointed); R. T. Myler, 1870; W. C. Cook, 1871; W. C. Cook, 1872; W. C. Cook, 1873; W. C. Cook, 1874; W. C. Cook, 1876. In 1821 Dalton contained but one house, and a man named Freeman kept the first tavern, where the Eagle House now stands. The first physician was Dr. Watson, now of Massillon, and the first store was kept by Mr. Johnson, and the first church organization was by the Presbyterians.
Moscow was laid out by Joseph H. Larwill, Josiah Crawford and John Larwill, April 16, 1815, and was surrounded in the primal days with "great expectations, " which were never realized.
Postmasters at Dalton - The Dalton postoffice was established in 1825, and the Postmasters have been as follows; Benjamin Nowee, one year; Luther Pratt, until 1829; John Goudy; Richard Cahill; John Goudy, re-appointed in 1841; Frederick Fluke, 1849; E. W. Cahill, 1853; Isaac Bailey, 1856; E. D. Otis, 1859, succeeded in 1861 by E. A. Freet, the present incumbent.
Prebyterian Church - As early as 1814 this body of professing Christians had services under Rev. James Adams, and in 1816 the church was organized with 23 members. Mr. Adams remained with this church from 1814 to 1823, receiving in this time 84 members. His successors were Revs. James Snodgrass, A. Hanna, Philo M. Semple, E. W. Schwefel and V. G. Sheeley, the present pastor, who assumed the ministerial functions March 1, 1871; present membership 180. Names of original members: Mrs. M. Adams, Benjamin Cary and wife, Warren Harris and wife, John Kenney and wife, John Goudy and wife, William Montgomery and wife, William Forbes and wife, Mary Munn, Elizabeth Tremane, James Goudy and (Campbell) Deborah Tilton (Kilgore), of whom only Phoebe Tilton (Campbell) survives. The first house was of hewn logs, two miles west of Dalton, on lands now owned by Samuel Snavely; the second on the site where the third was built, 1853-54.
M. E. Church of Dalton was organized about 1827, and in 1832 Rev. W. B. Chirsty was Presiding Elder, and Rev. W. Swazer and George Elliott ministers in charge. Bishop Thomson preached one of his first sermons at a private house in Dalton, and Bishop Harris received license to exhort at the Dalton quarterly conference. The present membership is about 100 the present church being built in 1852 which, under the pastorate of Rev. Struggles, was greatly enlarged and beautified.
The United Presbyterian Congregation, of Dalton, was organized by the Associate Prebytery, of Chartiers, in the latter part of 1820, at the house of John McDowell. The first Elders were John McDowell, George Gardiners, McCaugheys, Stinsons, Bells, Robisons, McElheneys, Douglasses. Rev. Samuel Irvine was the first stated supply, and Rev. Joseph McKee the first pastor, from about 1836 to 1842. Services were first conducted in private houses and in a tent erected on the farm now owned by James Douglass. In 1828 a log church was built on the farm of William Galloway, where they continued service until 1838-39, when a new frame building was erected in Dalton. In 1871 the present house was built. The following is the succession of pastors: Rev. J. R. Doig until March, 1848; Rev. D. W. Collins, D. D., from 1850 to 1852; Rev. J. Y. Ashenhurst from 1854 or 1856; Rev. A. McCartney from 1858 to 1860; Rev. W. M. Gibson from 1863 to 1867; Rev. J. G. Madge, present pastor, ordained and installed August 9, 1870. Present membership, 80. Session: Rev. J. G. Madge, Moderator; Samuel M. Anderson, Andrew Cameron, David Stinson; Trustees: H. M. Rudy, Peter Buchanan, John Anderson.
Jesse Otis was born in Vermont, August 11, 1793, of New England ancestry, of the James Otis stock, and a tradesman by occupation. April 17, 1817, he was married to Miss Charlotta Davey, of Frederick, Maryland, and immediately after marriage, in the spring of 1817, removed to Sugarcreek township, where he entered one hundred and sixty acres, about the middle of the township, the same farm now occupied and owned by his son, Henry W. Otis. Himself and wife were members of the Baptist church for forty years; and he held various township offices, being a trustee for twenty years. His death took place May 1, 1856. He had seven sons and three daughters, viz: John D., Merrill, Anna, William, Jane, Edward, Nathaniel, E. D., Mary and Henry W.
E. D. Otis, son of Jesse, was born in Sugarcreek township, on the old farm, three miles south of Dalton, September, 20, 1832, and worked on the farm until twenty-five years of age, when, in 1856, he came to Dalton as a clerk in Isaac Bailey's drug store. In 1857 he purchased the store, and sine that time has conducted the business. Mr. Otis is a remarkably good citizen, full of energy, and identified in all enterprises of his town and township, and in all respects an honorable man. For nine years he has been a Justice of the Peace, a position he at present holds. He has four children, and is a member of the Presbyterian church.
T. M. Taggart, M. D., son of Samuel Taggart, was born in Baughman township, September 22, 1822. He began the study of medicine with Dr. Bowen, of Massillon, afterwards graduating at the Cleveland Medical College. In 1848 he began the practice of his profession in Dalton. He was married in 1849 to Miss Henrietta Slusser, of York County, Pa., and had seven children, one of whom, Hiram D. Taggart, is a physician in Akron. He died May 23, 1867, and had been a zealous member of the Methodist church for seventeen years.
Dalton Gazette - In April, 1874, W. C. Scott established a job printing office in Dalton; in August, 1875, began issuing the Banner, and in October following changed the name to the Gazette, the publication of which he continues at the present time. The paper is issued weekly, independent in politics, devoted to local news, and has a circulation of about 500 in Wayne and Stark counties. Mr. Scott was born in Dalton, November 17, 1849, and has made a success in conducting one of the neatest and spiciest papers in the county.
William Homan came from Fayette county, Pa., and in 1814 settled in Sugarcreek township, entering one hundred and sixty acres of land. He removed from the farm to Dalton in 1823, where he died, September 26, 1834. He was a member, with his wife, of the Methodist Church. He was Captain of the first militia company of the township, and being a gunsmith made his own sword. He had twelve children. Emanuel Homan, his son, was born November 24, 1811, and has lived in the county sixty-four years.
L. G. Harley, M. D., was born in Chester county, Pa., in 1811. His father was a farmer, and removed to Ohio in 1830. In 1833 the subject of this notice commenced reading medicine with Dr. Haddock; attended the course of Philadelphia, and graduated there in the spring of 1837. He then located in Dalton, where he soon obtained an extensive practice. In the fall of 1839 he was married to Miss Mary M. Fluke, of Dalton, the union resulting in several highly intelligent sons and daughters. His daughter, Virginia, is a member of the medical profession, a graduate of the medical department of the University of Michigan. She practiced in Wooster a short time with her father, exhibiting professional skill and ability, with fair prospects of liberal encouragement, when she married and removed to New York city. Dr. Harley continued in Dalton for thirty-one years, and in 1868 removed to Wooster, where he has since resided, successfully practicing his profession.
Sonneberg, so called from a settlement of similar name in Switzerland, its population being composed chiefly of Swiss from Canton Berne. They enumerate ninety-eight families, and 258 members. This sect was founded by Menno, surnamed Simonis, in 1536, who commenced life as a Roman Catholic. The modern Mennonite, as a rule, does not pretend to know what his particular tenets are. Several of their ministers, upon whom we called, were certainly ignorant of their history, and had no intelligent idea of their faith. They are sure that they are opposed to war, will not aid in protecting the government, but demand its protection. They are mostly farmers, and very industrious; are good horse-traders, and revel in the effluvia of decomposed cheese. The older ones robustly oppose the introduction of books, incline to antagonize education, and indulge habits wholly un-American. They introduced the painting of dog-houses and the manufacture of applejack in Sugarcreek township. The first of this stock, all from Berne, to come into Wayne county, were Isaac Somer, Uhlrick and Peter Lehman and David Killhover, the latter bringing the regular John Rogers family. Their first place of rendezvous was in a school-house four miles east of Wooster, when they removed to "Switzerland No. 2," and in 1820 organized a church. It may be recorded of some of the younger class that they are breaking away from the worm-eaten creeds and bigotries of their fathers, and are enrolling themselves in the ranks of the modern civilization. We regret that space compels us to John Audley their history.
Christian Wahle was born in Berne, Switzerland, April 22, 1782, and came with his wife to America in 1824, and settled in Sugarcreek township. He is now ninety-six years of age, weighs 116 pounds, and has been a member of the Mennonite church for eighty years.