was organized Mar. 5, 1816, and was named so because there was a spring
in existence where the village is now located, the waters of which
resembled red paint, and imparted its peculiar color to the earth and
other objects it touched. The population in 1870 was 1,418.
THE FIRST SETTLER.
The first man that settled in this township was Michael Waxler, who
emigrated from Harrison county in 1810. He was emphatically a
backwoodsman of the highest development of type, dressed in buckskin
breeches, hunting-shirt and moccasins, and usually armed with his
scalping-knife, tomahawk and rifle. As the brave man is proverbially
generous, even so was our hero, and many persons shared his hospitality.
He frequently hunted with old Lyon and Bill Harrison, the former an
ubiquitous character throughout the county, and pseudo-chief of a nameless
tribe of Indians. It is related of Mr. Waxler that he
encamped on e night where Winesburg now is situated, and barely escaped
destruction from a gang of wolves which attacked him, and to which he
offered stout resistance until morning, having, meantime, killed several
and, in true Indian style, scalped them.
The next earliest settlers at this time were, James
Sullivan, John Sprague, David Endsley, Nathan
Peticord, James Galbraith, William Vaughn, Elijah
Carr, Samuel Shull, Frederick Shull and Jacob Beals.
Among others who came in at an early date, were William Beals,
Isaac Goodin, Philip Bysel, Philip Zigler,
Caven, Solomon Fisher, Daniel Zook, Reuben Phouts
and Archibald Hanna.
The first election was held in 1816, and
Frederick Shull and Jacob Beals were the candidates for
Justice of the Peace for the township. There were not many votes
cast, and the result was a tie, whereupon the aspirants cast lots, and
Beals was the winner and was the first Justice of the Peace in Paint
township, holding the office for twelve years. Gabriel Barnhill
was the second Justice.*
OFFICERS OF PAINT
Adams, J. J.
Schlafly, J. J.
The following is a list of the
Justices of the Peace for Paint township, with date of commission, since
1833, Mar. 1
1855 Apr. 17
1835 Apr. 18
1858 Apr. 14
1836 Jan. 12
1858 Apr. 14
1837 Jan. 22
1861, May 18
1838 Apr. 30
1861 May 18
1839 July 15
1864 Apr. 18
1840 Apr. 16
1864 Apr. 18
1842 Apr. 13,
Pinkerton, James V.
1867 Apr. 8
1843 Apr. 13
1867 Apr. 8
1845 Apr. 16
Pinkerton, James Y.
1870 Apr. 12
1846 Apr. 21
1870 Apr. 12
1848 Apr. 12
Henderson, Robert A.
1873 Apr. 15
Adams, John J.
1849 Apr. 12
1873 Apr. 14
1851 Apr. 19
Henderson, Robert A.
1876 Apr. 13
Adams, J. J.
1852 Apr. 21
Pinkerton, James Y.
1876 June 3
1852 May 8
LOVERS OF THE FOREST
We will mention James Galbraith's legend of the Popolat Rocks in this
connection. These rocks took their name from a young Indian - Prince
Oppopolat, or Turkey Gobbler - who was banished from east of the Blue
Ridge, in Virginia, by his tribe, before the discovery of America, with Fisfisalee, or
Pheasant Tail, with whom he had fallen in love, both of
whom lived in their banishment one winter at the Popolat Rocks in Paint
township. Oppopolat suffered death from his own tribe for daring to
make a wife of Fisfisalee, a beautiful member of a tribe with whom they
were at war. It was here that he was seized and carried home to meet
his unwelcome doom, whilst Fisfisalee accompanied him to the Ohio and
three herself into the river.
MOST SINGULAR MAN.
One of the most singular men that ever graced Mt. Eaton was Mr. George
Phouts, who got up a political music band in 1840. He was upbraided
for his unwarrantable pretensions to piety, when he asserted it was
nothing for him, as he had once been a Brigade Inspector, a
Representative, a Master Mason, an anti-Mason, a temperance and
anti-temperance man, an advocate of universal as well as partial
salvation, a persecuted Christian and an abused infidel, a thrice-broken
merchant, sometimes an honest man and sometimes a rascal, and that when he
was a lawyer he played aristocrat and democrat at different times.
He preferred like Cesar, to be the first man in the village than the
second in the empire; hence wanted Mt. Eaton incorporated, so he could be
its Mayor. He was an ambitious fellow, a phrenological puzzle, and
withal a clever fellow, of high talents and varied learning. He quit
Mt. Eaton in disgust in 1853, went to Missouri and died there.
Fisher, father of Hiram Fisher, of Paint township, was born in
Virginia, in the year 1765, and removed to Westmoreland county, Penn, in
1771. In 1792-93 he attended a meeting to consider the Excise Law,
then held in Pittsburg, Penn., presided over by Albert Gallatin, who was
born in Geneva, Switzerland, just four years before Mr. Fisher was born in
Virginia. Daniel Bradford was Secretary of the meeting, at which a
committee was appointed to draft resolutions expressive of their feelings,
and present to Congress an address stating their objections and grievances
of the law, and praying for its repeal. He then removed to Jefferson
county, Ohio, near Steubenville, where he lived some ten or twelve years,
when he emigrated to Paint township, Wayne county, in 1814, and settled on
the farm now owned by his son Hiram, where he died May 25, 1849. He
voted for George Washington when he was elected to the Presidency of the
United States the first time in 1788.
He had fourteen children, and was twice married, six of
whom are living. His son, George Fisher, was one of the first
teachers in the township, He was a farmer by occupation, an industrious,
prosperous man, and at his death was possessed of considerable wealth.
He took an active interest in local politics and was highly esteemed and
respected by all who knew him. In 1794 he was in the Whisky
Insurrection which broke out in the western part of Pennsylvania,
involving four or five counties, which at first threatened serious
consequences, but which by a union of firmness and lenity on the part of
President Washington was soon quelled. His life was a long and
checkered one, full of public and private experiences and bitter trials.
He lived to see his anticipations gratified and a government established
by the great Washington, whom by his own vote he aided in elevating to the
highest honors of the new-born Republic.
Hiram, son of Solomon Fisher, was born in Paint
township, Sept. 12, 1829, and is a farmer and man of business.
He is alert, active, full of push-ahead-a-tiveness and allows no grass to
grow under his feet. He executes his enterprises with resolution and
determination; is a man of integrity, truth and unblemished character.
He abounds in vitality and good humor, and is as full of genial good
nature and hospitality as a June meadow is of flowers. He was
married in January, 1856, to Mary E. Fleming, of Richland county, and has
Houmard was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland,
Apr. 29, 1802, and
removed to America in 1825, reaching New York, after a voyage of
forty-four days, July 28, of this year. He was married, prior to his
emigration from Switzerland, to Mary Ann Rosalie,
Apr. 15, 1825, sailing
June 14, 1825, in search of a new home in the Western world.
Arriving at the great sea-board city he took passage up
the Hudson river to Albany, thence taking the Erie Canal** as far as
Lockport,† when, on account of the unfinished condition of the locks,
they had to go six miles by land; thence by canal again to within three
miles of Buffalo, which distance they were compelled to walk to the city,
and thence to Cleveland via the lake. Reaching the latter city, then
composed of forty or fifty houses, and making observations there for
several days, he took his departure for Sugarcreek township, where he
arrived Sept. 2, 1825.
From the time he left home in Switzerland till he
attained his destination in Sonneberg, seventeen weeks and one day
were consumed - now it takes thirteen days. His father and mother
accompanied him, and their total outfit of baggage, including a wagon,
footed in round numbers, 1,765 pounds. Before leaving Cleveland Mr.
Houmard purchased a yoke of oxen, paying therefor $36, which they hitched
to the wagon, and in that way they journeyed to Sugarcreek. He
remained but a month in Sonneberg, when he removed to where Abraham
Houmard now lives, continuing there till the 10th of May, 1826, when he
settled in Paint township, where he has since resided. Here they
purchased 160 acres of land, for which they paid $675. The first
winter they lived in a rude log house, but in the following spring they
began to build on the farm where he now lives. The object of the
Houmard family when they abandoned their old country was to settle in
Kentucky, about which they heard a great deal, but stopping to see Swiss
friends in the Sonneberg settlement they concluded that they liked the
place, and dismissed their original project.
Mr. Houmard is a cutler by trade, and gave his
attention to repairing guns, sharpening edge-tools and manufacturing them.
He carries a pocket-knife which he made in Europe fifty-three years ago,
which on one occasion he covered when putting on a roof, and which, twenty
years afterward, he found upon removing the same. In this old shop
are many antique and quaint tools, many of his own manufacture.
There are grindstones, from the size of a Scotch cake to the nether
millstone, and a huge wheel to turn them, and work-benches, various and
comic, and bearing the print of antiquity.
We will briefly describe the house built by Mr.
original dimensions of it were 20x30 feet, and it was constructed of logs,
not hewed until after the house was erected. It was composed of two
rooms, the second one on the east side being nearly square, and without
being filled or mudded. Here his family, consisting of wife and
child, passed the winter of 1826. The cabin was without a floor, the
fire-place was in the center of the room, and, as companions of his
family, the cow and calf were wintered in the same room, the cabin being
house and stable both. The milk was kept in white walnut troughs,
strained through old garments and clothes, and the churn was made of a
hollow cherry tree, with a board nailed on at the bottom.
Combining his fine memory with his long-kept diary, he makes a very
agreeable sort of a French lexicon. An evening spent with him, if
for no other purpose than pour passer le temps, is quite
enjoyable. He has acquired a partial knowledge of the English
tongue, and intelligibly addresses himself to conversation. He
practices the courtesies so characteristic of his people, is buoyant,
vivacious and full of the gaiete de coeur of the true Frenchman.
He is a relic-hunter and keeper, and possesses specimens that would adorn
the shelves of the antiquary. He has a sword made in 1414; a coin
bearing the image of Louis XVI., who was beheaded, the neck of the image
bearing a cross-scar, and the crown on the reverse side all cut and
hacked, as with knives. He lives in quiet seclusion upon his farm, a
respected citizen, a kind and accommodating neighbor, devoted to his
family and strongly attached to his kindred.
*First French Settlers in Paint Township -
and family were the first French settlers in Paint township, coming in
1825. Joseph Perrott was the second, in
1829, and Emanuel Nicolet, in 1830. In
1834 the immigration became rapid, and many families arrived in the
Tasker was born in Fairfax, Virginia, 1787;
removed to Ohio in 1820, settling in Paint township, where he lived and
died July 4, 1835. He was married Sept. 7, 1815, to Jancy
Jenkins, of Romney, Hampshire county, Va., where she was born Dec. 18, 1797. When he removed to Wayne county, Reasin Franks,
brother of Peter Franks, of Saltcreek township, assisted him in his
passage. Hooking two of his horses into Tasker's wagon, and he
furnishing two, the journey was entered upon and successfully
accomplished. Mr. Tasker engaged in farming until his death.
Like other of the pioneers, he and his family felt the pressure of hard
times and were witnesses to the hardships and one daughter - the later
becoming the wife of William Rogers, of Wooster, and who died
Aug. 30, 1876. His three sons, James William and Isaiah, all live
in Wayne county.
Jan. 9, 1844, the wife of Elijah Tasker was
again joined in marriage to Thomas Marshall, a native of Beaver
county, Pa., and who removed to Wayne county and settled in Mt. Eaton, in
formerly known as Paintville, was laid out as early as 1813 by
William Vaughn and James Galbraith. Elijah Carr is
said to have built the first cabin in the village, and Samuel Shull
kept the first tavern. The first preacher in the village was
Archibald Hanna (Presbyterian), who conducted religious services
for several years in a tent in the woods.
In 1829, through the concerted action of Jacob Beam
and James Galbraith, the name of the village was changed from
Paintville to Mt. Eaton. The first election held in Mt. Eaton, under
the order of incorporation for special purposes, was on Apr. 4, 1870,
three Trustees being elected, and which resulted as follows: J. B.
Westcott, John Schlafly and James Huston, forty-two
votes being polled. At a meeting of the Trustees Apr. 5, 1870,
order being polled. At a meeting of the Trustees Apr. 5, 1870,
order being called, on motion of J. B. Westcott, James Huston was
nominated as Chairman and Secretary.
The first order of business was the election
of officers, which was determined by lot, the term of service of each
Trustee being as follows: John Schlafly for three years,
B. Westcott for two years, and James Huston was elected
Clerk and Treasurer, and Charles Contris, Marshal and Supervisor.
Present Trustees are John Schlafly, J. B. Westcott and
In 1861, Mt. Eaton Fire Company No. 1 was
In 1823 James Morrow ran a carding
machine by horse-power in Paintville. In 1827 Messers. Weed &
Jones, of Paintville, had an iron foundry in operation. In
1827-8 Joseph H. White published the anti-Masonic Mirror,
a weekly newspaper, in Paintville, which soon expired by lightning,
the electric fluid descending the chimney. In 1831 Colonel William
Goudy built the first stream grist-mill, at Mt. Eaton, which was
burned down in 1836, rebuilt in 1838, and destroyed in 1839 by the
explosion of her boilers. The result of this catastrophe was the
sudden killing of John Murphy, the scalding and mangling of John
McDonnel, and the scalding of James Bradly and Jeremiah
Nelson, who survived but a day or two. Joseph Austin
was seriously injured but recovered. One of the boilers was flung
fifty yards up a hill, splitting a saw-log in its course, and gashing the
In 1833 the cholera made its appearance in
Mt. Eaton, the contagion having been brought there by Benedict
Beaverstine, a Frenchman, who, with his family, and emigrants, and who
had a dead child - a cholera victim - with them when they arrived.
The contagion assumed a malignant form at once. David Boyd,
an intoxicated man, with courage engendered of "benzine," strutted up to
the wagon to see how a cholera victim would look, was soon attacked and
died that evening. In four weeks twenty-six persons fell victims to
the devastating scourge. It made its appearance about the middle of
August. Drs. Hall and Barber did all they could to
stay its ravages, yet the fatality stood as one to ten of the entire
population. James Galbraith was the last victim. During the
prevalence of the epidemic the citizens fled from the village.
In 1835-6 Madison H. White published
the People's Advocate, a weekly issue, in Mt. Eaton, which, like
the Mirror, died for want of support.
The Dutch War. - In 1844 a riot occurred in Mt. Eaton, at
Stinebruner's grocery, where a French and Dutch dance was in progress.
The English, it seems, were the aggressors in this so-called Dutch
war. Windows were smashed in and knocked out, teeth were violently
jarred from unwilling jaws, many were badly bruised and wounded, and some
shooting was done. The civil authorities were invoked, and order was
restored without loss of life.
Postmasters. - The following is a list of Postmasters in Mt.
Eaton, from 1822:
1822 - 1836
1836 - 1841
1841 - 1842
1842 - 1843
1843 - 1850
1850 - 1851
1851 - 1862
1861 - 1868
Desvoignes, L. A.
Westcott, M. D., was born in Trumbull county, Ohio,
Jan. 6, 1817. His father was a ship carpenter, whom the son
assisted in various ways, and with whom he remained until he was seventeen
years old. He read medicine with Dr. J. Welsh, of Waynesburg, Stark
County, Ohio, with whom he staid five years, and then went to the Ohio
Medical College - old school - under Dr. John Mussey.
He entered upon practice at Magnolia, Stark
county, where he remained year, removing in March, 1837, to Mt. Eaton,
where he has continued to the present time. He was married Mar. 12,
1845, to Amanda Lash, of Stark county, and has had eight children.
Charles C. Roth, M. D., was born in the
Kingdome of Wertemberg, Oct. 6, 1827, and emigrated to America in 1853,
landing at New York after a voyage of forty-five days. He remained
in the city in one of the hospitals for eighteen months, upon a small
salary, when he removed to Winesburg, Holmes county, Ohio, and began
practice with Dr. Peters. He removed to Mt. Eaton in 1856, which has
since been his home.
Dr. Roth, studied his profession in Tiibingen,
in Wertemberg, and Heidelburg, in Baden, graduating at Tiibingen. He
was in the naval academy at this latter place; was in the
Schleswig-Holstein war of 1847, and the Revolution of 1848, and has in his
possession a medal awarded him for bravery at Baden, by the Duke of Baden.
He was married May 7, 1857, to Magdalene Miller, of Louisville,
Stark county, and has had six children. The Doctor is a member of
the Reformed church of Mt. Eaton.
William Lucas, a native of Northamptonshire, England, immigrated to America in 1832, the same year
settling in Mt. Eaton. Three years thereafter he married Ruth
Geiger, who was the first woman he saw in Paint township; had six
children, two sons and four daughters. He began keeping hotel in
1836 in Mt. Eaton, and, with the exception of nine years similarly spent
at other places, he has been in the hotel business in this village.
His wife, so well and favorably known as "Mother Lucas," died in January,
1873. Robert A. Lucas and wife have charge of the hotel.
George Mathoit, a native of South
France, removed to Paint township and settled in Mt. Eaton in 1837.
He was married to Cecelia Dodez, of Paint township, and died
Apr. 20, 1872. He engaged in the furniture business after his arrival,
and continued therein until his death. A. C. Mathoit, his
son, was born Sept. 23, 1842, and, with David Ketterer, conduct
and are proprietors of the steam furniture works of Mt. Eaton.
Shaffter was born in Berne,
Switzerland, June 10, 1837, and came to America in 1858, his brother,
Florian Shaffter, accompanying him. They removed to Mt. Eaton
in 1864, and became partners in the manufacture of wagons and buggies.
Pinkerton was born in
Somerset county, Pa., Apr. 1, 1802. He removed to Wayne county and
settled near Mt. Eaton in 1823 and ever after lived an honored, worthy and
esteemed citizen of Wayne county. He was well and popularly known
throughout his township and the county; was elected at different times
Justice of the Peace of his township and served in the capacity of County
Commissioner to the satisfaction and approval of the public. He was
married to Lydia Beam, with whom he lived for nearly 44 years, and
had been an active, ardent and faithful member of the Methodist church for
nearly 43 years preceding his death. Whether as Justice of the
Peace, as Surveyor or Commissioner, he endeavored to perform the trusts
committed to him with impartiality, fairness and local interests of his
neighborhood all his life. He died at his residence, near Mt. Eaton,
Sept. 22, 1875. His son, Van Buren Pinkerton, occupies
the old homestead and is an honorable and influential citizen of the
Pinkerton was born in Somerset
county, Pa., May 30, 1817, and removed with his father to Wayne county
Apr. 17, 1823. His father died September, 1860, aged 86 years.
His occupation was that of farmer and stock-dealer, living on the farm for
44 years. He has held nearly all the offices attainable in Paint
township. He was six years a merchant in Mt. Eaton, has held the
office of County Treasurer for two terms, was a stockholder in the old
Commercial Bank of Wooster, to which the city he removed in March, 1867.
He issued the currency known as the "Pinkerton Checks" during the war.
was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 27, 1811. His
father was a farmer, and immigrated to Stark county, Ohio, in 1815,
settling on the Steubenville road, two miles east of Waynesburg. The
subject of this notice spent his early years with his father, laboring on
the farm, going to Canton afterward and learning the trade of tailoring.
He was married in November, 1832, to Miss Eliza
Beals, of Paint township, the same year having removed to Mt. Eaton.
He has had seven children, one son and six daughters, all save two of the
daughters dead. Josephine, wife of David McQuillet, lives
with her husband in St. Louis, and Lucy Ann, wife of Samuel Yates,
with her husband, resides in Sedalia, Missouri. When Mr.Kimmel,
came to Mt. Eaton there were but four Frenchmen in the village, to-wit:
Emanual Nicolet, Isaac Banly, Louis Dodez and a
Perrott. Its population then consisted of Pennsylvanians and
a few Virginians. Mr. Kimmel is a farmer, a good citizen, a member
of the Methodist church of Mt. Eaton, joining the same in 1834.
a native of Switzerland, came to America with his parents, who settled
in the State of New York, subsequently removing to Tuscarawas county,
Ohio, in 1812, and to Paint township in 1817, settling on the farm now
owned by Daniel Haverstock, where he lived and died in his 75th
1830. He entered the farm from the Government. He was married
to Margaret Richard, of Bedford county, Pa., and had ten children,
all of whom are dead but Daniel, who now lived upon the owns the old farm.
He was a member of the Lutheran church, and is buried in Mt. Eaton.
Daniel Haverstock, only remaining son of Conrad, was born in
Bedford county, Pa., Aug. 27, 1806; came to Paint township, with his
father, and has pursued the vocation of farmer all his life. He was
married to Rebecca Kiser, of Paint township, and has had ten
children, three of whom are dead. His wife died May 13, 1868.
Henry Lash was born in New Jersey, Feb.
11, 1801, in Sussex county, near Newton, the county-seat. His father
was a farmer, and of German descent, with whom he remained till the
attainment of his majority, when he married Miss Nancy Craven, of
Pennsylvania. He continued with his father, working upon the farm,
for about three years after his marriage, when he accepted Greeley's
advice and went West, settling first in the woods in Paint township, about
two and a half miles from Mt. Eaton, bringing with him his wife and two
His father, David Lash, had purchased the
quarter section, prior to Henry's removal, from Mr. Miller, who had
entered it. In the spring of 1825 it was that Mr. Lash arrived at
his home in the woods, destitute of every evidence of civilization, save a
log shanty, which he had partly built the fall before. Before his
wife and children could get into it, he had to cut out a door, the windows
even not being opened. The cabin was 18x18 feet, of round logs,
clap-board roof, puncheon or split log floor, one window and one door.
Fortunately he had a sash for the window, which he had brought along from
His father, "moved" him, in a one-horse wagon, all the
way from old Sussex, transporting for the youthful pioneer a bureau, bed,
etc., and driving two cows. When his father left him, his son
counted in his private exchequer five dollars. Mr. Lash now
went to work to open up daylight around his cabin, and the first season
cleared up ten acres of land, although for two or three years he made
little or no money. The first year he could not raise two dollars
and a half to pay his taxes, and had to send home to his
father for the money.
He has had seven children, all, save one, of whom are
living, and all having left the paternal mansion. Mr. Lash,
though past seventy-seven years, is yet in good health, and says that
notwithstanding their exposure and the abuses they suffered sixty years
ago in the wilderness, they had good health and enjoyed themselves.
He is a member of the Presbyterian church at Mt. Eaton, in charge of Rev.
Milton Brown, uniting within Rev. Hanna's pastorate, of which organization
he has been a member for fifty-five years.
When he removed to Paint township there were no French
inhabitants in Mt. Eaton, the county being settled by Pennsylvanians,
etc., etc. His neighbors were the three Dobbins families,
Isaac Peppard, Leonard Craven, and chiefly Presbyterians.
His first wife dying, he was married again to Lucinda Dorland,
Sept. 25, 1872.
- The church of Paintville - now Mt. Eaton - was
organized June 20, 1818, with thirteen members. The Rev. James Adams
officiated at the organization. To date of June 20, 1872, the church
has had five pastors and nineteen ruling elders. The membership at
present numbers seventy-eight. The entire number of members received
into the church of Mt. Eaton, from its organization to July 4, 1876, is as
follows: On examination, 243; on certificate, 166; a total of 409.
Ministers - Archibald Hanna, from May 25, 1820,
to 1832; Nathaniel Cobb, from 1837 to 1840; Philo M.
Semple, from 1844 to 1858; Jeremiah Gillem, from 1860 to
1868; Milton W. Brown, from 1871 to the present time.
Ruling Elders - William Hunter, June 20, 1818;
William Kilgore, June 20, 1818; Rowland Armstrog, June 20, 1818;
Alexander Culbertson, June 3, 1824; William D. Pennel,
3, 1824; Isaac Peppard, June 3, 1824; Matthew Derlim,
Johnson, no date; Christopher Harrold, Nov. 2,
1837; John Edgar, Nov. 2, 1837; Jeremiah Rockwell, no
date; David Lash, November, 2, 1837; Joseph Teeple, 1840;
David Kilgore; Alexander Thompson, Mar. 11, 1855; Henry S.
Lash, Mar. 11, 1855; Jacob Hudson, November, 1868;
Beam, November, 1868; William M. Johnston, 1868.
The names of the first thirteen organizing members are
as follows: James Kilgore, Margaret Kilgore,
McKinney, William Kilgore, Isabella Kilgore, William
Hunter, Mary Hunter, Rowland Armstrong, Jane
Armstrong, John Anderson, Agnes Anderson,
Galbraith and Sarah Galbraith.
The first church was a log
structure, situated in the present cemetery grounds, and was built about
Milton W. Brown, the present
pastor of the Mt. Eaton Presbyterian church, was born in East Union
township, May 20, 1821, and is a son of John J. Brown. His
father was a farmer, with whom he remained laboring and going to school
until he was twenty-five years of age, when he entered Jefferson College,
Canonsburg, Pa., where he graduated. He attended the Theological
Seminary at Allegheny City, and was licensed to preach in the spring of
1851. His first congregations were at Hopewell and Nashville, Homes
county, coming to Mt. Eaton in 1871. He was married Dec. 23,
1851, to Sarah Finney, of Hopewell.
The first record of this congregation goes back to 1832,
the church being built, however, many years prior to this date, a log
house, its site near where the present St. Paul's church now stands.
The members (about twelve families) were mostly Pennsylvania Germans.
Rev. E. Greenewald, took charge in 1832. In May, 1836, he was
succeeded by Rev. J. B. Reck, who was in turn relieved in the
summer of 1843 by Rev. Edwin Melsheimer, continuing pastor until
Oct., 1846, when Rev. William B. Rally, pastor of St. Paul's
church, Mt. Eaton, supplied the church pro tempore. Here
the record of the church closes.
St. Paul's Church - This congregation of
the Reformed Lutheran church originally attended the Evangelical Lutheran.
In the summer of 1842 the new church was built, the pastor, Rev. A. L. W. Begemann, and Rev.
David Kammerer officiating at laying its
corner-stone. It was finished in 1846. In March, 1845, Rev.
Robert Kochler became minister of St. Paul's, serving one year.
Rev. W. B. Rally was his successor, continuing until 1851.
The congregation separated into two, a German and French, the former
electing Rev. Johann Ackeret for its pastor, while the latter
recalled Rev. Kochler. The congregations retained their
common property, creed and name. Rev. Ackerret served the
German congregation until 1868. Rev. Philip Decker was his
successor. He resigned in 1876, and was succeeded by the present
pastor, Rev. H. Nau.
Fraze was born
in New Jersey 1772, and was a millwright by trade. From New Jersey
he removed to Westmoreland county, Pa., thence to Tuscarawas county, Ohio,
and thence to Paint township, Wayne county, 1822, to where his son George
now lives. He had visited the county prior to this, however, and in
1821 had built what was known as Grable's grist and saw mill, for
which he received 105 acres of land, and on which he settled Apr. 1,
1822. When he took possession of the farm its whole improvement
consisted of an unchunked, undaubed, unfinished cabin, scarcely a tree
felled, and not a root or grub taken out. On this farm, Mr. Fraze
remained, cultivating it, and by turns working at his trade, until his
death, in February, 1833. He was a capital mill-wright and master of
his craft, and was known far and wide, and was often known to hide when
persons would call at his house to get him to repair their mills. He
was of German origin, and an excellent German as well as English scholar.
He was married in 1827 to Rachael Willard, of Tuscarawas county,
Ohio, and had three children.
Fraze, the only son of
Jacob Fraze, was born Apr. 1, 1821, at Putnam's Mill, Stark
county, Ohio, and came to Paint township with his father, where, with the
exception of three years, which he spent in acquiring the trade of
wheelwright and chairmaking, he has since resided. He was married
Mar. 4, 1846 to Sarah Adams, of Paint township, and has had eleven
children, nine of whom are living. His son John is a graduate of Mt.
Union, and of the Law College at Ann Arbor, and is practicing law at
Akron, Ohio,. Mr. Fraze is one of the most intelligent men of
his township, progressive and enlightened in his opinions, and
characterized by his ready co-operation in useful and important
enterprises. He possesses a cool, calculating mind, is stern in his
convictions, and has the ability to fortify and defend them.
Eli Brown was born on Brandywine
creek, Lancaster county, Pa., and was of Quaker, Dutch and Irish
parentage. He emigrated to Sugarcreek township, Wayne county, in
1810. He was a school teacher and surveyor, and for ten or twelve
years gave attention to surveying, meantime entering six quarter sections
of land in Paint township. So, preferring the farm to the compass,
he settled on the premises now owned by Mrs. Sarah Brown, mother of
Charles H. Brown. He died Apr. 28, 1839, having had six
children, two sons and four daughters.
was born Apr. 22, 1825, and was early introduced to the monotony and
drudgery of the farm life. He went to school to his father, and
after his death the principal oversight of the farm devolved upon him.
He remained with his mother until 1850, having the entire disposition and
management of the place upon him, when, on the 22d of Oct. of this
year, he was joined in wedlock, by Rev. Archibald Hanna, to
Nercissa Galbraith. Mr. Brown has three children - one
son and two daughters. He is a stirring, wide-awake business man,
full of activity, and in the prime of life. He is a farmer,
stock-dealer, speculator, according to circumstances, a man of honor,
character and reputation.
WEST LEBANON is a
small village, three miles northeast of Mt. Eaton, and was laid out in
1833 by Philip Groff and Rev. William Butt. Frederick Bysell, it
is claimed, built the first house and kept the first tavern and
postoffice. Mr. Joseph Harry, who came to Paint township in
1824, and who now lives in West Lebanon, is of opinion that Isaac
Stine built the first cabin, on lot 21, in the village, and that the
first Postmaster was Adam Zarling. The office was
established, he says, in 1835. Philip Groff, one of the
founders of the village, was a native of West Lebanon, Lebanon county,
Pa., and hence, in memory of his native town, called it West Lebanon.
John Hoke is the present Postmaster, and was appointed Jan. 1,
1868. James Kilgore was the first postmaster in what was
called East Lebanon, in Sugarcreek township, in 1833. Michael
Hawn, a Revolutionary soldier, born 1741, and died 1844, aged 103
years, is buried in the Lutheran graveyard at West Lebanon.
Evangelical Lutheran Church - The first
church was built in 1831, and prior to this there existed no
organization. It was erected under the auspices of the Llutheran
and Reformed bodies. The first minister was John Reck;
first members, Matthias Siler, Philip Reihaole, Peter Shilling,
Phillip Sidle, etc. Rev. Bordner is the present
minister, dispensing the English service. Membership between
thirty and forty.
Church of God - The Church of God in West
Lebanon was organized in 1857 by John Oberlin, John Grameling, Moses
Grow and others. Rev. John S. McKee, was here at the
time of the organization, assisted by Rev. Martin Beck. The
services of this body were first held in the Lutheran church, and
afterwards in the village school-house until the new church was erected
in 1865. Rev. M. Beck, a gentleman of great liberality, and
remarkable intellectual ability, donated the ground for the church
edifice, and not only that, he actually assumed the role of
carpenter and builder, for which service and labor he received but a
partial allowance. Rev. Beck becamae the successor of
McKee, and continued in the pastorate for three years. Rev.
Lewis H. Silvy succeeded Mr. Beck; then came Rev.
Alexander Wiley, Rev. Simeon Lilly, Rev. Henry Linn and
Rev. A. Long, the present minister.
A. M McMillen, M. D.,
was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, near Steubenville, in 1816.
His father was a mill-wright and farmer, with whom the subject of this
sketch remained during his earlier years. After preparing himself
for the school-room he began teaching, and for eight years devoted
himself to this employment. He read medicine in Canal Fulton with
Dr. Howard, and graduated at the old Medical College of
Cleveland. He began practice at West Lebanon, in 1849, continuing
there until his death which occurred May 4, 1874. He was married
in the spring of 1849 to Rebecca Neeper, of Lancaster county,
Pa., by which union there were eight children. He was a member of
the Presbyterian church of Mt. Eaton.
D. H. McMillen, M. D.,
a nephew of Dr. A. M. McMillen, was born in Stark county,
Ohio, near Greenville, Oct. 13, 1848; read medicine with his uncle
and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medical Surgery in June,
1874. He began practice with his uncle in July, 1874, and
continues the same in West Lebanon. He was married Jan. 6,
1876, to Miss J. A. Braden, of Sugarcreek, township
father of Jacob Bales the grandfather of Solomon Philip
and Daniel Bales, came to Wayne county in the fall of 1811 on
horseback, and then seventy-five years old, from Lebanon county, Pa.,
and entered all the land between Solomon Bales' and West Lebanon
- 993 acres; buying in addition to this a quarter section in Stark
county. He died with his son, Caleb Bales, in Wayne county,
at the age of eighty-eight. These 993 acres were divided among
nine children, Jacob receiving the 145 acres where Daniel
Bales now lives.
was born in Lebanon county, Pa., 1787, and removed to Wayne county
in 1812, locating on the farm now owned by his son Daniel.
He was married Oct. 5, 1812, to Sada Bowers, of Lebanon
county, Pa., and died Mar. 11, 1871, having had born to him nine
children, three sons and six daughters. He had seven brothers and
one sister, all of whom are dead. Caleb was his youngest
brother, and died in Sugarcreek township during the summer of 1876.
Jacob lived fifty-nine years upon the old homestead, and during
that time not a death occurred among the members of his family, which
was composed of nine children, although three have died since his death.
His wife died June 2, 1874, and at the time of his death he had
He was Justice of the Peace of Paint township for a
great many years, and was old time Whig and an active politician.
He had many a spirited contest in the local elections of Paint, notably
with James Pinkerton, whom he successively defeated until the
"labeled bottles" entered the canvass. He was a member of the
Methodist church for over twenty years, subsequently uniting with the
United Brethren congregation of West Lebanon. When Mr. Bales
came to the country he found it a bleak and dreary waste, infested
with Indians, bears and wolves. For several years he lived without
meat, and as coffee commanded an exhorbitant price it was a delicacy
seldom relished and only indulged, as Daniel Bales says, "when
there was a birth in the family." Mt. Eaton had no existence when
he penetrated the wild woods; Massillon was barely dreamed of then, and
Canton but a cluster of cabins. He took his first wheat to New
Philadelphia, and traveled twenty-three miles to get his flour.
He was a whole-souled, generous man, lived a sincere
and pious life, his house being recognized as "the preacher's home,"
having entertained fifty-six ministers while living there.
* During the incumbency of James
Galbraith, and about 1829, the name of the office was changed from Paintville to Mt. Eaton.
*There is some dispute as to the matter
of the first Justice, some claiming that Barnhill was first.
** Mr. Houmard says they were the first European
emigrants that passed the great Erie Canal.
† Here Mr.
Houmard narrowly escaped death.
Parties were blasting rock, and they called to him to run, as a fuse was
being lighted, but not understanding a word of English, disregarded them,
when he was thrown down and wonderfully stunned.
< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS