A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Wayne County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of Wayne County, Ohio
from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time
Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 


Pg. 850

(Contributed by Sharon Wick)


     CHIPPEWA TOWNSHIP was organized September 4, 1815.  This is the great coal township of the county, and its principal history appears in the body of the work.  Its population in 1870 was 2,510.  The following is the list of officers, as appears upon the official records:

1866. William R. Wilson, Peter Buchl, Elias Frase; Assessor - L. W. Wilson; Clerk - A. H. Pursell; Treasurer - Isaac Slanker.
1867. Trustees - William R. Wilson, Elias Frase, Lyman Franks; Assessor - L. W. Wilson; Clerk - Riley Franks; Treasurer - Isaac Slanker.
1868. Trustees - William R. Wilson, William Etling, Jacob Shaffer; Assessor - L. W. Wilson; Clerk - J. B. Weaver; Treasurer - Morgan Franks.
1869. Trustees - T. J. McElhenie, Peter Frase, Jacob Hammer; Assessor - L. W. Wilson;  Clerk - A. H. Pursell; Treasurer - Morgan Franks; Constables - Reuben Tate, Solomon Baughman, William N. Reis.
1870. Trustee - T. J. McELhenie, Peter Frase, Jacob Hammer; Assessor - Nichols Steinmetz; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John B. Wertz, Solomon Baughman, William N. Reis.
1871. Trustees - T. J. McElhenie, J. H. Hammer, Peter Frase; Assessor - N. Steinmetz; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John B. Wertz, Solomon Baughman, William N. Reis.
1872. Trustees - William R. WIlson, Samuel Frase, Christian Whitman; Assessor - Frank Stottler; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constable - John C. Rasor.
1873 Trustees - William R. Wilson, Samuel Frase, William Etling; Assessor - Frank Stottler; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John B. Wentz, John Cameron, David Baughman.
1874. Trustees - Joseph Collins, Ephraim Hatfield, Samuel Frase; Assessor - Frank Stottler; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John Raser, John Cameron, Thomas Adams.
1875. Trustees - Peter Frase, Samuel Frase, Joseph Collins; Assessor - Riley Franks; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John B. Wertz, John Cameron, Thomas Adams.
1876. Trustees - Peter Frase, George Shank, William Etling; Assessor - Riley Franks; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John Snider, John Cameron, Thomas, Thomas Adams.
1877.  Trustees - Peter Frase, George Shank, William Etling; Assessor - Riley Franks; Clerk - Henry Marshall; Treasurer - Jacob Shafer; Constables - John B. Wertz, John Cameron, Thomas Adams.
Justice of the Peace - Stephen Fisher, April 23, 1831; George Wellhouse, March 1, 1833; John Comstock, April 24, 1834; George Wellhosue, May 1, 1834; John Brown, May 6, 1834; Thomas McElhenie, June 18, 1836; George Wellhouse, April 16, 1836; John Brown, April 28, 1837; Samuel Blair, April 30, 1838; Thomas McElhenie, April 13, 1839; John Brown, April 16, 1840; Samuel Blair, April 16, 1841; Thomas McElhenie, April 13, 1842; John Brown, April 13, 1843; Abraham Franks, April 25, 1844; Thomas McElhenie, April 16, 1845; A. Heffleman, April 21, 1846; A. Franks, April 14, 1847; John Reighley, April 12, 1848; John Brown, April 12, 184; Thomas McElhenie, April 12, 1849; John Brown, April 19, 1851; John Reighley, April 19, 1851; Thomas McElhenie, April 21, 1852; John Brown, April 13, 1854; T. W. Peckinpaugh, April 13, 1854; Jacob Huffman, April 17, 1855; John Brown, April 22, 1857; T. W. Peckinpaugh, April 22, 1857; Reuben Dressler, April 14, 1858; T. W. Peckinpaugh, April 17, 1860; Peter Frase, April 17, 1860; Andrew Shafer, April 13, 1861; Peter Frase, April 17, 1863; Henery Cooper, October 22, 1863; Peter Frase, April 13, 1866; Henry Cooper, October 15, 1866; T. J. McElhenie, October 19, 1868; Peter Frase, April 13, 1869; Joseph B. Weaver, October 20, 1869; T. J. McElhenie, October 18, 1871; Peter Frase, April 9, 1872; Henry Soliday, October 12, 1872; Joseph B. Weaver, April 14, 1874; J. T. Haines, October 20, 1874; Peter Frase, April 12, 1875; James Bratton, April 12, 1875; G. W. Evarts, April 12, 1877.

     The First Settlers in Chippewa township were Nicholas and Adam Helmick, old Henry Franks, Uriah, Henry and John Franks, Thomas Frederick, Henry Houts, Michael Brouse, Paul Baughman, Jacob Hatfield, William Hatfield, John Reichildifer, Stephen Fisher, old Mr. McConkey, Joseph Springer, John Adams, William Doyle, Frederick Galehouse, Isaac Montgomery, David Galehosue, Michael Basinger (came to Chippewa township in 1815), father of Jacob Basinger, Daniel Huffman, father of Daniel and James, Adam Shatto, Michael Brouse, Rev. George Weygandt, Mr. Reed, George, Christian, Jacob, Joseph, Michael and Andrew Whitman, Malachi Feister, Samuel Pierrepont, M D., John Routson, James Boak, Jacob and John Franks, Stephen Fisher, John Miller, John Newhouse, Andrew Bowen, Robert Meek, John Bowman, George Wellhouse, Benjamin Hershey, George Halloway, Henry Shook, David Johns, Jacob Eberhard, John Wise, John Porter, Peter Waltz, "Major" Smith, James Hutchinson, Peter Bradenbaugh, Isrel Baughman, Jacob Heffelman, etc.

     Mr. Hatfield says Rogue's Hollow was named by a Dr. Crosby, who owned the ground an had it laid out.  Daniel Slanker, he thinks, built the first grist and saw-mill west of Doylestown.  Mike Greenoe had the first, Fred Galehouse the second, and after them George Wellhouse and Michael Brouse had distilleries.  He is of the opinion that the first election was held where Nicholas Helmick lived.  The first graveyard was at Easton, and Lucinda Heckerthorn the first person buried, for he helped to dig her grave - a child of John Routeson was the second.  Jonathan Coleman, of Canton, a married man, was drowned in Doner's Lake in 1830.

     Henry Franks was born in Fayette county, Pa., and came to Chippewa township in 1867-17, settling a short distance south of Doylestown, on a farm he entered from the Government, which he subsequently sold to his son John, when he purchased twenty-five acres east of this, and died May 5, 1836.  He was married to Christina Mason, of his native county, and had five sons and six daughters, to wit: John, Michael, Henry, Abraham and Uriah; Elizabeth (her husband, Samuel Higgins, a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Huron county, Ohio), Sarah (wife of John Routson), Abigail, Christina, Catharine and Phoebe, the latter the only two surviving daughters, the sons all being dead but Henry and Uriah.  Henry  is now eighty-two years of age, and has had seven children, and is a member of the Methodist church.  His wife, Susanna Routson Franks, died in Spencer, Ohio.  Uriah lives in Noble county, Indiana, was married to Betsey Watt, and had ten children, eight of whom are living.  He is a farmer, but has retired from work, and is an excellent man.  John Franks was one of the earliest of the settlers, locating two miles south-west of Doylestown, now owned by a Mr. Morganwood, but formerly known as "the Hugle farm."
     Henry Franks, known as "Old Henry" with some others, was taken prisoner on the Ohio river by the Indians when he was a young man, and held in captivity by them.  He was tall, straight, and a large, powerful man, and his captors immediately fancied him, and by ceremonies introduced him to Indian citizenship.  Its first condition being to run the gauntlet, he was compelled to comply with it, and at the end of the race he was, to save his own life, forced to strike an Indian with his hatchet, whom he nearly killed.  This successful act of daring on his part ingratiated him with his captors, who exclaimed, "He make good Indian."  Mr. Franks, receiving a wound in this test of mighty manhood, the Indians instantly took charge of him, nursing and treating him kindly until he thoroughly recovered.  After the capture of Crawford in Ohio, and during the excitement of his horrible death, all of which Mr. Franks witnessed, he made an effort to escape, in which he was successful.  He fled to the lake shore, boarded a British vessel,,, went by water as far as Montreal, crossed to the American side, and thence on foot to Philadelphia, Pittsburg, and to his home in Fayette county, Pa., after a captivity of five years.  The life of this man supplies a field for the pen of romance and the narrator of boarder exploits.

     George F. Wellhouse was born in Germany, April 17, 1789, and immigrated to America when quite young.  He was raised in Washington county, Maryland, and removed to Wayne county at an early period.  He was married November 19, 1820, to Elizabeth Neiswanger, and had the following children:  Abraham, Susannah, William, Elizabeth, David, Mary, Carolina, Hannah and George F.  He served as Justice of the Peace of his township at an early date.  He was elected to the office of county commissioner in 1829, and served six years;  he served in the State Senate from December 5, 1836, to December 3, 1838, and in 1838 he was elected by the Legislature as one of the Associate Judges of Wayne county.  He died August 9, 1860, his wife surviving him until March 22, 1862.

     Benjamin Herschey was born in Lebanon county, Pa., October 15, 1820, and removed with his parents to Baughman township when he was twelve years old.  He was married to Susanna Wellhouse, February 25, 1841, by which marriage there resulted ten children, seven of whom are living.  He died at his late residence in Chippewa township, January, 10, 1875.  He was an inoffensive man, characterized by great industry and integrity.  His honesty gained him the esteem and confidence of all who knew him, and he was looked upon as a good, exemplary citizen who, during his life, had endeared himself to his family and neighbors.  He was a member of the United Brethren church at Easton.

     Frederick Galehouse* was born in Baden Germany, in 1781, emigrated to America in 1786, and went to Cumberland county, Pa., from thence came to New Lisbon, Ohio, in 1807, and from there to Chippewa township in 1823, settling on the Chippewa creek.  Here he lived thirty years, then removed to Doylestown, and died September 22, 1865.  He was married to Miss Elizabeth Wilt, of Cumberland county, Pa., and had four sons and four daughters, of whom Elias is the only surviving son.  The daughters living are:  Maria, wife of Abraham Miller; Elizabeth, wife of John Gates; and Sarah, wife of James Porter.  He had a contract from the Government to superintend the construction of a public road from New Lisbon to Lake Erie, for the use of artillery, and when the news of Hull's surrender came, he told all to scatter, which they did.  He was a member of the Lutheran church.

     John Elliott was born in Steubenville, Ohio, February 17, 1823, and the same year removed with his father to Chippewa township, and now lives on the farm where they settled at that time.  October 2, 1851, he was married to Catharine A. Wilkins, of Baughman township, but has no children, though they have raised four by adoption.  Mr. Elliott and wife are Presbyterians.  He is a farmer, and has one of the princely manors of the county.  He and wife are distinguished for their hospitality and social qualities, their house being the home of strangers, kindred and friends, and where all are most generously and gracefully entertained.

     William R. Wilson was born on the Chesapeake shore, Maryland, October 13, 1809.  In 1834 he removed from Maryland to Chippewa township, where, on November 17, 1835, he married Miss Margaret Franks.  Farming then became his occupation, and he has followed that pursuit successfully to the accumulation of a liberal competence.  He has had seven children, of whom three are dead.  His son Wesley is an able Methodist minister, located in Holmes county.  Mr. Wilson was a member of the Ohio Legislature and Wayne county from 1868 to 1871, elected by the Democracy, and served with credit to his intelligence and with benefit to the county.


     Doylestown. - This prosperous village was laid out by William Doyle, after whom it was named, on December 9, 1827, and was surveyed by Charles Christmas the same day.  Plat and certificate recorded December 25, 1827; record to be found on page 267, Vol. 6, County Recorder's office.  It was incorporated August 6, 1867.  The first house erected in the village was on a vacant lot standing between Mrs. Diebl's and Mrs. Shondal's grocery, and now owned by the latter.  It was a log structure, built by William Doyle, the carpenter's work having been done by John Montgomery.   Doyle occupied it for a tavern, sold whisky, and permitted "fantastic toe" excitements.  The first doctor was a Mr. Pierrepont, who, when on a visit East, stole a horse, and being caught, was sent to the penitentiary.  The first election was held December 8, 1866.  We annex a list of officers of the town from the official record:

1866. Mayor - A. H. Pursell; Recorder - William Reed; Treasurer - Samuel H. Miller; Councilmen - Elias Galehouse, James H. Seiberling, Henry A. Soliday.
1867. Mayor - A. H. Pursell; Recorder - William Reed; Treasurer - Samuel H. Miller; Councilmen - Jacob Shaffer, Elias Galehouse, James H. Seiberling, H. A. Soliday, Charles McCormich.
1868. Mayor - A. H. Pursell; Recorder - S. J. Hochstetler; Treasurer - S. H. Miller; Councilmen - Jacob Schaffer, H. A. Soliday, Elias Galehouse, Jacob Heffelman, J. D. Ross.
1869. Mayor - Moses Bugher; Recorder - J. B. Weaver; Treasurer - M. Franks; Councilmen - George W. Wellhouse, Riley Franks, Abram Franks, H. B> Kellinger, John Snyder, Charles McCormish.
1870. Mayor - J. B. Weaver; Recorder - Moses Bugher; Treasurer - James H. Seiberling; Councilmen - Willialm Johnston, Peter Kline, James Jackson, John Sneider, Charles McCormish, James Hile.
1871. Mayor - J. B. Weaver; Recorder - Moses Bugher; Treasurer - James H. Seiberling; Councilmen - W. G. Biglow, James Hile, S. J. Hochstetler, William Johnston, Peter Kline, James Jackson.
1872. Mayor - A. H. Pursell; Recorder - Moses Bugher; Treasurer - S. H. Miller; Councilmen - William G. Biglow, James Hile, S. H. Hochstetler, John Sayder, Samuel Collier, David Bunn.
1873. Mayor - A. H. Pursell; Recorder - Moses Bugher; Treasurer - S. H. Miller; Councilmen - E. R. Spencer, W. G. Biglow, S. H. Hochstetler, John Snyder, Samuel Collier, David Bunn.
1874. Mayor - W. G. Biglow; Recorder - M. Bugher; Treasurer - S. H. Miller; Councilmen - Jacob Shaffer, James Jackson, John Gates, E. R. Spencer, S. J. Hochstetler, N. Steinmetz.
1875. Mayor - W. G. Biglow; Recorder - M. Bugher; Treasurer - S. H. Miller; Councilmen - R. B. Wasson, Martin Ries, B. Billman, Jacob Shaffer, James Jackson, John Gates.
1876. Mayor - W. G. Biglow; Recorder - M. Bugher; Treasurer - W. A. Huffman; Councilmen - B. Billman, Jacob Shaffer, John Gates, R. B. Wasson, Martin Reis, N. Steinmetz.
1877. Mayor - W. G. Biglow; Recorder - M. Bugler; Treasurer - W. A. Huffman; Councilmen - Nichols Steinmetz, Henry Galehouse, Eli Fritz, B. Billman, Jacob Shaffer; Street Commissioner - George Point.

     Doylestown Press - George W. Everts embarked in journalism in Doylestown in 1874, issuing the first number of the Doylestown Journal on the 11th of July, and continues to conduct the paper with considerable success.  It is a weekly, 24x34 in size, independent in politics, devoted to local news, and has a circulation of about five hundred.  Mr. Everts was born in Richland county, Ohio, an was married December 24, 1861, to Miss Emma Bell, of Bellville.

     Postmasters at Doylestown. - William G. Foster, from 1828 to 1847; Angus McIntire, from 1848 to 1852; Samuel Routson, from 1853 to 1856; Orrin G. Franks, from 1857 to 1859; Samuel Blocker, from 1860 to 1867; H. A. Soliday, from 1868 to 1872; Harry S. Deisem, from 1873 to present time.  The postoffice, called Chippewa, was first established at the cross-roads, one mile south of Doylestown, Joseph Springer being the postmaster, and was changed in 1874 to Doylestown.  Richard DuPuy, a lawyer, succeeded Angus McIntire as postmaster, but in a short time was dismissed for forgery and embezzlement.

     Thomas Frederick was born in Columbian county, Ohio, December 1, 1778, and was married May 2, 1804, to Elizabeth Shank, who was born March 8, 1785.  He removed to Chippewa township in 1813, settling on the farm where his son Henry lives, where he died, aged ninety-three years.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812.  He planted the first cherry-tree in the township, which grew to the hight of one hundred feet, and is now living.  He had the following children:  Jacob, Harriet, Margaret, Sophia, Reasin, Dolly, Rachael, Matthew E., William F., Henry, Catharine A., Sarah A., Elizabeth, Mary A.  of the surviving ten, all save two, live in Chippewa township.  He was a famous pedestrian, and equally famous hunter, killing bears, wolves, deer, in immense numbers.  He was a member of the Lutheran church and a worthy citizen and Christian man.

     William Hatfield was born in Fayette county, Pa., October 9, 1800, and came to Wayne county with his father, Jacob Hatfield, August 5, 1817.  His father was a native of New Jersey, where he was born July 27, 1767, and settled in Chippewa township one-half mile north of where his son William now lives.  He had the following children:  Charlotte, Sallie, George, William, Michael, Jacob, Isaiah.  William and Isaiah are the only two living, the latter in Gratlot county, Michigan.  William Hatfield was married October 6, 1825, in Chippewa township, to Susannah Miller, who died October 18, 1855.  He has had the following children:  Ephraim, Catharine, Elizabeth, Sarah, John, Jacob, Naomi, Salina, Lydia and Hannah, an adopted daughter, all of whom are living save Elizabeth and Salina.  Mr. Hatfield lives near the old place, and his youngest son farms it.  He is the last of the original pioneers of Chippewa township, and is in the enjoyment of good health and excellent memory.

     Abraham Franks, nephew of Henry Franks, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, October 29, 1809, and removed to Doylestown in April, 1837.  He was married September 7, 1848, to Amana Franks, daughter of Abraham Franks, and grandaughter of Henry Franks, the first settler, by whom he had two children, a daughter, Mrs. J. W. Lowe, of Shreve, and a son, L. K.  He merchandized in Doylestown for twelve years after his arrival, then farmed ten years, and again resumed commercial business in Doylestown, in which he continued until the spring of 1877.  He was Justice of the Peace three terms, and served two terms in the State Legislature, representing Wayne and Ashland counties from December 5, 1848, to December 3, 1849, and by re-election from December 3, 1849, to December 2, 1850.  James and Phineas Franks, brothers of Abraham, came to Chippewa five years after he did; James died there five years ago, aged 66, and two of his family are living in the township.  Phineas lived there but eight years.

     Abraham Franks, fourth son of Henry Franks, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, Feb. 9, 1798, and came to Chippewa township with his father May 18, 1825, he was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Blocker, which marriage resulted in four sons and four daughters, seven of whom are living, a daughter being dead.  Mr. Franks may safely be classed with the ruling spirits of the early settlers.  He was a man of great muscular power and endurance, full of industry and energy, and was prominent as a farmer, leading stock dealer, merchant and business man generally.  He brought the first sheep into Chippewa township.  In 1861 he retired from business, dividing a handsome estates among his children, retaining a competency for himself until his death, which took place February 24, 1865, his wife surviving him.  During all his life he could never be induced to accept office, though always taking an active interest in public affairs, always voting the Democratic ticket.

     Elias Galehouse, son of Frederick, was born in New Lisbon, Ohio, in 1815, and came with his father to Chippewa township, with whom he remained, working on the farm until twenty-seven years of age.  He then established a hotel in Doylestown, in which he continued eight years, then entered into the dry goods and grocery business; built a foundry, in company with John Gates, and made stoves, plows, etc., for five years, running a carriage manufactory at the same time; then went into the coal business, opening mines; then built a grist and saw-mill in Doylestown; farmed awhile, and then again resumed the mercantile business.  He was married June 19, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Bender, of Chippewa township, and has three sons and five daughters.

     Christian Shondal was born in Shirrhoffen, Canton Bischwiller, Elsass, Dec. 22, 1793, and came to Canton, Ohio, in 1830, and from thence to Chippewa township, where he died Aug. 22, 1875, in his eighty-second year.  He was a soldier under Napoleon I.; participated in the battle of Borodino; was in the Moscow campaign, and had his feet frozen in the disastrous retreat from that burned Russian city, and was at Waterloo, where the eagles of the great Emperor went down before the combined powers of Europe.  The Shondols of Chippewa are of good stock, thrifty and intelligent men and women.  N. Steinmetz, also a native of Bischwiller, Alsace, was married Aug. 24, 1858, to Fannie Schondal, third daughter of Christian, and is one of the prominent men of the township.

     Slanker Family. -Jacob Slanker was born in Berks county, Pa., Nov. 25, 1771, and was married to Esther Klose.  With his family he came to Chippewa township Apr. 5, 1836, and bought a quarter of section 17 of Sebastian Zimmerman, on which he laid out, in 1843, the town of Slankerville.  Afterwards he removed to Medina county, and died there Aug. 25, 1849.  He had seventeen children, three of whom are living.  His son, B. F. Slanker, first married Mary Fisher, May 26, 1822, and had a family of twelve children, eight surviving, of which number Isaac and Daniel Slanker still reside in Chippewa township, and are most worthy citizens.

     Chippewa - This village was surveyed for Stephen Ford by Daniel L. McClure, in May, 1816; plat recorded May 15, 1816, to be found on page 283, Vol. I, County Records.  The first house in the place was built by Captain John Routston, of the Chippewa Rangers, father of Samuel Routson, of Wooster.  He was born in Adams county, Pa., in 1790 and in 1816 married Sarah Franks, daughter of Henry Franks.

     Slankerville was laid out by Jacob Slanker, Reuben Dressler and John Gartner and surveyed by John A. Lawrence, Feb. 24, 1843.  Plat and certificate recorded Apr. 26, 1843, and record foun don page 587, volume 24.  Since the completion of the railroad it has been known by the name of Easton.

     Thomas W. Peckinpaugh was born in the State of Pennsylvania, Nov. 17, 1817.  On his father's side he is of German extraction, on the mother's English.  In 1821 his parents emigrated to Greene township when the subject of this sketch was but four years of age.  His father was a farmer, and with him his son remained until he was twenty-one.  Like many other of the young men of his time, who at an early age were cast upon their own resources, and who have made a mark upon community, Mr. Peckinpaugh's first exploits consisted in energetic efforts to secure an education, and in preparation to teach the common school.  His exertions in this direction proving successful he entered upon the career of teacher in winter and academy pupil in the summer.  In 1840 he entered the Wadsworth institution, where he concluded his studies, and from which he emerged to deliver battle to the world.  Having an inclination from boyhood to enter the legal profession, he now had the opportunity offered to reward his ambition.  With resolution pitched to the key of future success, he commenced the study of Blackstone, selection for his perceptor Hon. Edward Avery, of Wooster.  He was now living in Milton township, and in 1848 he was admitted to the practice of law.
     He was married Oct. 18, 1848, to Miss Jane E. Cotton, of Milton township, when he proceeded to Chippewa township, where he entered upon practice, teaching for two winters in conjunction with his legal duties, when he devoted his entire time and attention to the law.  In 1854 he was elected Justice of the Peace for Chippewa township, which office he filled for six consecutive years.  In 1860 he was elected Auditor of Wayne county, and was re-elected to the same office, the duties of which he performed with conspicuous fidelity and satisfaction to the public.  He next purchased a farm in Milton township, where, for a period of three years, he lived, when he removed to West Salem and resumed his profession.
     He was elected to the Legislature from Wayne county in 1869, and re-elected in the hot conflict of 1871, having served with distinction and credit to his constituents and the State.  His eldest son, Thomas E., is an accomplished business scholar, a young man of unchallenged honor, until recently Teller in the National Bank of Wooster, and at present one of the proprietors of the Wayne County Democrat.  Mr. Peckinpaugh is yet in the blaze and vigor of manhood, and as attentive to business as when thirty years ago he began the upward struggle toward wealth and over two hundred pounds.  His political affiliations are wholly with the Democracy, where he has ever maintained uniformity and consistency in the advocacy of its principles.
     As a lawyer his integrity and prompt attention to business, combined with the faithfulness with which he labors for his client, have secured for him a liberal share of practice.
     In public or private life there is neither harshness nor rashness about him.  There is a degree of self-control and self-balance about him characteristic of the man; heard upon the stump, or before the Court, or in the halls of legislation, he is never thrown off his guard.  His life affords an instructive lesson to those laboring against adversity, and furnishes an example of what industry, punctuality and determination can do to conquer difficulties, and to secure the confidence and respect of the communities in which their lot may be cast.  United with his public virtues, he is a man of unsullied private character.

     James Adams was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, in the year 1800. At the age of 18 he learned blacksmithing, and in 1820 he removed to Chippewa township.  He owns a valuable coal farm near Doylestown, and is comfortably and independently situated.  He is familiar with the annals of his township.  He informs us that "Rogues' Hollow" was a resort in the early days for some fellows who made pewter money there and "shoved the queer."  Old George Zealy frequented the "hollow;" he was a preacher, and was sent to the penitentiary from Wooster, but was soon released.  Mr. Adams is a hale, hearty and lively man, a wide-awake, get-up-and-get citizen, stout, athletic, with a "right" and a "left" aver at his service.  He is a genial gentleman and a social, clever man.

     Cline, Seiberling & Co., Doylestown, Ohio - In 1861 Peter Cline, John F. Seiberling and John H. Hower formed a partnership, under the firm name of Cline, Seiberling & Hower, to manufacture the Excelsior Dropping Reaper and Mower, of which John F. Seiberling was the inventor.  In 1865, the works having been annually enlarged, J. H. Seiberling, Jacob J. Hower and Samuel Miller were received into the partnership, when the firm name was changed to Cline, Seiberling & Co.  J. F. Seiberling and John H. Hower then removed to Akron, Ohio, to more extensively engage in the manufacture of their machines.  Fro 1865 to 1875 the firm continued the same, each year building from six hundred to one thousand machines, October 22, 1875, John H. Hower sold his interest to the remaining members, and October 3, 1876, Jacob J. Hower sold his, the firm name, however, remaining the same.  Since 1875 they have also built the Empire Reaper and Mower, another conception of the fertile brain of John F. Seiberling, which he has thoroughly perfected, and which is an exquisite gem of mechanical beauty.  The two machines, the Excelsior and the Empire Reaping and Mowing Machines, are built by Mr. Seiberling in Akron and by Cline, Seiberling & Co. at Doylestown.
     The firm at Doylestown is the most solid and reliable manufacturing institution in Wayne county, or in Northern Ohio.  It has thus far weathered financial cyclones, monetary upheavals and panic simooms, its reputation unquestioned and its credit above challenge or suspicion.  It employs on an average from sixty-five to seventy-five men.

     John F. Seiberling is a native of Summit county, Ohio, his father originally emigrating from Lehigh county, Pa., to this county, when he settled in Norton township.  He was a farmer, with whom John worked occasionally, doing some work upon a saw-mill, which his father had erected, and it was here where he first manifested his inventive genius.  In trying to repair one of the John P. Manny machines, which his father had purchased, he conceived the idea of the dropper, whereupon he went to work and constructed an entirely new machine called "The Excelsior," to which the dropper was subsequently attached.  To this he has annually made improvements.  By persevering, patient labor and plodding on he has established success and triumphantly vindicated his claims as a man of genius, and one of the world's benefactors.  He lived in Doylestown from 1861 to 1865, when he removed to Akron, where he at present resides.

     James Seiberling, brother of John, is likewise a member of the firm, and like him, is endowed with considerable inventive ingenuity.  He was married to Elizabeth Baughman, of Summit county, and has had six children, two of whom are dead.  He is a member of the Lutheran church, a man of earnest life, honor and integrity.

     Peter Cline was born in Prussia, Oct. 4, 1823.  His father was a farmer, and immigrated to America when Peter was fourteen years old, bringing nine children with him over the sea.  The family arrived at New York in 1836, and soon found their way to Massillon, soon leaving there, and going to Huron county, Ohio.  Peter, however, remained and found employment in a furnace, where he staid two years, when Hart & Brown opened up in the foundry business, when he hired with them and continued for six years.  From there he went to Fulton, and thence to Doylestown, working the Galehouse & Gates, who started the Doylestown foundry, and where he has since remained in business.
     He was married to Margaret Sites, of Canal Fulton, in 1847, whose death occurred April 15, 1877.  He has had six children, three of whom are dead.  He is a kind-hearted, honest, industrious man, and has accumulated through year of toil and economy both property and means.  He has been a member of the old Lutheran church since early manhood.

     Samuel H. Miller was born in Northampton county, Pa., May 28, 1839.  His father, John Miller, was a farmer in Pennsylvania, and removed to Ohio in 1843, settling in Norton township, Summit county, where he purchased a farm, Samuel remaining with him until 1851, when he began clerking in a dry goods store in Akron, where he remained to Dec. 8, 1857.  Dec. 15, 1863, he came to Doylestown, and engaged in bookkeeping for the firm until Sept. 1, 1865, when he became a partner, and from that time to the present has been Secretary and Treasurer of the institution.
     He was married August 29, 1867, to Miss Ella L. Schneider, of Summit county, Ohio, and has six children.  Mr. Miller, though a comparatively young man, has established a business and financial reputation that is seldom achieved by older men.  He is a courteous, affable and cultivated gentleman, wedded to his business, forever invigorating and stimulating it with the energy of his vigorous and aggressive nature.  He ahs achieved a deserved popularity, while his star has not wandered to its zenith.

     *John W. Galehouse, oldest son of Frederick, was a native of New Lisbon, and came to Wayne county with his father.  He was brutally murdered by a Canadian villain, named Amos Clark.  He was struck down with a poker, lingered a few hours, and died January 29, 1840.





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights