A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Wayne County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Source: Times-Picayune - Louisiana
Dated: 1850 Mar. 30
A COUNTY FOR CALIFORNIA- Over two hundred persons have recently left or soon will leave Wayne county, Ohio, for the diggings.  The Wooster Democrat contains a list of 140 who left Wooster on the 11th inst., and says the cavalcade was formed and took its departure about 12 o'clock, and embraced over 100 hardy adventurers, conveyed in about thirty wagons. They were escorted some distance on their way by a large body of horseman, with music playing and cannon firing.  The outfit of the emigrants appeared to be of the very best kind.  The wagons were all new, handsome and light; and the various equipments for their long and perilous journey over the plains were ample, and well adapted to the preservation of health and comfort.  The party is to take steamboat at Wellsville, bound for Independence, Mo., from which place they take their final departure for the land of gold.
Source: New Hampshire Sentinel - New Hampshire
Dated: Jan. 23, 1851
A school teacher named MORROW, belonging in Wayne, Ohio, was murdered by two of his pupils on the 9th inst.  The murderers were young men, one 21 the other 19 years of age.  They interfered in the correction of a younger pupil, and in the course of the scuffle that ensued beat Morrow over the head until his scull was fractured.  Both fled and had not been arrested up to the 11th inst.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
NOTE by Sharon Wick:  Not sure if this is for Wayne Co., Ohio or the town of Wayne in Wood Co., Ohio.
Source:  Times-Picayune - Louisiana
Dated: Feb. 9, 1852
     A letter from Wooster, Wayne county, Ohio, under date of January 20th, says: "Extreme cold weather here; thermometer 19 deg. below zero this morning at 6 o'clock; an average of 10 deg all day."
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, Ohio
Dated: July 24, 1860
AN EXTENSIVE OPERATOR ARRESTED.  - About three years ago a man named Charles HOY, of Wooster, Wayne county, Ohio, who had been extensively engaged in wool-growing, was detected in forgeries amounting to nearly $70,000 - He fled; and, until the 6th of June last, had evaded discovery and arrest, although officers had been continually in search of him.  For a year or more before his arrest he had been in the habit of paying flying visits to a brother-in-law, living at Mendota, Lasalle county, Ill.  On his last visit, however, he was so unfortunate as to meet a gentleman who had known him in Ohio and who immediately telegraphed for a warrant for his arrest.  While waiting the arrival of the process from Ohio, officer John Phillips "shadowed" him and kept constant watch on his movements.  On the 6th of June officers from Ohio arrived, and, after the family had retired, they made a descent uon the house and arrested him.  They conveyed him to the hotel, and luckily for the cause of justice, a gentleman there from Keokuk, Iowa, recognized the prisoner as John Emerson, who hired a pair of horses and a carriage last fall of Mr. S. Egbert, of that city, which he forgot to return.  It was subsequently ascertained that HOY lived at Fontenelle, in this territory, and it was surmised that he had brought the horses hither.  Messrs. Egbert and Phillips came on here last week.  And they not only found the property they were seeking, but Mr. L. is confident he has discovered several pairs of horses and carriages that have been stolen from livery stables at Burlington, Quincy, Jacksonville, Altona and St. Louis, by this man - Omaha (Nbe.) Republican.
Source: Wooster Republican - Ohio
Dated: Sept. 9, 1869

The Recent Murder.
     A few days ago our usually quiet community, although slow to realize it, were startled with the intelligence that a foul murder had been committed in our midst.  The circumstances surrounding the case are substantially as follows:
     Some time since a man by the name of George Livingston, an auctioneer in the village of Smithville, sold a horse to Valentine Seib, the keeper of a small beer saloon (vulgarly called the I. E. House) about a mile north of the city, at the stone quarry.  Seib gave Livingston a note for the horse, which fell due on the 22d day of August.  He sent world to Livingston, a few days before the note matured, that if he would call on the 23d he would pay him.  Livingston called at the appointed time and a dispute arose between them, which resulted in Livingston being put out of the house.  A man by the name of Horner happened to be passing the saloon at the moment that Livingston was put out, and saw the melee.  Livingston attempted to re-enter the house, but was prevented, and Seib then went out of the bar-room into the kitchen adjoining, procured a small revolver, and fired at him.  Horner left at this time and proceeded on his way.  Blood was seen on Livingston's head.  He was taken into the house, and a small mark, which was discovered on his forehead, was covered up with lint procured from an old silk hat.  He remained around Seib's house all that night, and the next day came to Wooster.  He wandered around the streets here for several days acting rather strangely, but the people thought him under the influence of liquor.  On Thursday, he went back to Seib's and slept in his barn that night.  On Friday, his wife came after him and took him to his home in Smithville.  The physicians who attended him found him very much bruised about the head, he having evidently fallen down very frequently and injured his head.  His actions led them to believe that he was suffering from an attack of delirium tremens, until a short time before his death, when they discovered a small hole in his forehead.  But even then they thought that it had been caused by some sharp object in one of his falls.
     After his death, which occurred on Thursday, the 2d inst., a post mortum examination was held, and a small bullet was found in the back of his head, it having entered his forehead and passed completely through his brain.  How the man survived this shot ten days is a mystery to every one.
     Suspicion attached to Valentine Seib, and he was arrested on Saturday morning.

Source: Cincinnati Daily Enquirer - Ohio
Dated: Sept. 13, 1869

Murder in Millersburgh.
     The Holmes County (Ohio) Farmer has the following: "Two weeks ago last Monday George Livingston, near Smithville, Wayne County, an auctioneer, forty-five or fifty years of age, holding a note of $110 against Valentine Seib, residing immediately north of Wooster, and teh Keeper of a drinking house, went to Seib for the purpose of collecting the note.  It appears that Livingston was in the habit of becoming intoxicated.  The parties had a quarrel and separated, Livingston passing into the public road.  While there a man came along whom he asked to go with him to get the money from Seib, which request he declined to comply with.  The traveler started on; Livingston went to Seib's door and made an effort to gain admission; as the door opened a shot was fired and Livingston fell.  Nothing was generally known about the affair for several days.  Livingston was seen wandering about town for two or three days, apparently crazy.  On the Friday following, Livingston's wife came to hunt him up; asked Seib if he was in the house, which was answered in the affirmative.  She went in and found him sitting in a chair, propped and insensible.  He was taken home, and remained in a  stupid and insensible condition until Tuesday, when his wife, in washing his face, rubbed off a small cab from his forehead which disclosed a bullet hole.  The next morning he died.  Dr. Greenamyer, of Smithville, made an examination, and found a cartridge pistol ball in the brain.  On Friday last Seib was arrested and lodged in jail.  The Court of Common Pleas is now in session, but the Grand Jury had adjourned.  A special Grand Jury was called to investigate the case.  We are informed that Seib admits the killing, but claims he did it in self-defense.

Source:  Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: Apr. 12, 1880
-- John Gravatt, formerly of McClaran & Caskey, writes that he has gone into business in Colorado, near Leadville.
-- The music at the university chapel yesterday was unusually good.  Rev. A. McFarlane preached.  The Right Rev. Bedell preached morning and evening at the Episcopal Church.
-- Court has been occupied for nearly a week with the Selick born burner case, in which Wm. Selick is charged with setting fire to the barn of Michael Shondel, of Baughman Township.
-- Mr. Frank Riale, of the class of '81, who recently went west with a surveying party, writes that the party is in Montana having some very severe weather, with the thermometer far below zero and the snow two feet deep on the level.
-- The last event in social circles is the marriage of Mr. Jack Kiefer and Miss Mame Hines, which took place Thursday evening at the bride's residence, on East Liberty street.  Only a select few were permitted to witness the ceremony, but half the town was at the 9:15 train to help in the "belling." which made such a racket that the firemen were called out by a false alarm.  The happy couple will settle down in Wooster after an extended Eastern trip.
Source: Olympia Record
Dated: Oct. 13, 1908
Morrow, Ohio,
Oct. 13 - Judge Taft today began his most strenuous tour of the campaign when he addressed the farmers here in the opening speech of a trip that will take him three days through the rural districts of Ohio, three days in the South, next Sunday in New Jersey and Maryland, anothe day in Ohio, a week in New York and a closing speech in Youngstown, Ohio, the night before the election.
The Taft special left Cincinnati at 7 o'clock today with Senator William Alden Smith of Michigan as assistant to the republican candidate.
     The first stop was made here where several hundred farmers gave the republican nominee an enthusiastic welcome.  Taft was in good voice. 
     The special train is scheduled to make 16 stops today and end at Akron, where Mr. Taft is to be the principal speaker at the demonstration tonight.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, Ohio
Dated: Mar. 9, 1917
Wayne County Matron Goes to Jail as Attorneys Try to Free Her on Bond.
"Good." Cries Man as He Hears Woman He Loved Also is Behind Bars.
Special to The Plain Dealer
     WOOSTER, March 8 - "Good." said Glenn LANDIS today when Deputy Sheriff Arthur MILLER informed him Mrs. Belva ESHELMAN, accused by him of being his accomplice in the murder of Charles ESHELMAN, her husband, had been locked in the woman's department of the Wayne county jail.
     Although LANDIS, according to the prosecutor, in his confession stated it was his love for Mrs. ESHELMAN that impelled him to shoot her husband as he was on his way to work, the two now have only hatred for each other.
     Each has deserted the other, and they will fight out their cases alone.
     LANDIS was in the court room toway when Mrs. ESHELMAN entered a plea of not guilty, but the woman did not glance at him.
     She was indicted jointly with LANDIS on a charge of murder in the first degree, her alleged part having been to urge LANDIS to do the shooting.
     "I Am Not Guilty."
"I am not guilty of any of these things said about me." Mrs. ESHELMAN said today.  She would not say anything more.
     Her attorney declared tonight that to them she has denied all complicity in the killing of her husband.
     They asked Judge _. R. CRITCHFIELD to free her on bond, and said the father and mother of her dead husband are _____ to sign the bond, being convinced she is innocent.
     Mrs. ESHELMAN is approaching motherhood.
     "She should go to jail and stay there." shouted Prosecutor Benton G. Hay.  "___ because relatives of her husband ____ she is not guilty is no reason for permitting her to go where she pleases."
     Judge CRITCHFIELD said: Mrs. ESHELMAN ___ ____ ____ and will decide     _____whether to admit her to jail.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights