OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source: 
History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,
1884

CHAPTER III.
CRAWFORD TOWNSHIP

INTRODUCTORY - THE TOWNSHIP A HUNDRED YEARS AGO - THE CRAWFORD MONUMENT - THE STORY OF MATTHEW BRAYTON, THE LOST CHILD - EARLY SETTLERS - EXTRACTS FROM WILLIAM BROWN'S DIARY - INHABITANTS OF THE TOWNSHIP IN 1845 - ORIGINAL IMPROVEMENTS, ETC. - ST. JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH - OFFICERS SINCE 1866 - HISTORY OF CAREY VILLAGE - ITS MERCANTILE AND BANKING INTERESTS - MILLS, MANUFACTORIES, ETC. - HOTELS - RELIGIOUS - EDUCATION, ETC. - SECRET SOCIETIES -

 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
< BACK TO HISTORY OF WYANDOT - TABLE OF CONTENTS >

NOTE:  If there is a biography that you are interested in, please email me and I will put it on here asap!!

  JACOB ALLION is a native of Baden, Germany, and was born Mar. 5, 1810.  His parents, Jacob and Catharine (Denninger) Allion, were also natives of Germany, and had four children, our subject being the only surviving.  His mother died in her native country, his father in Lucas County, Ohio.  In 1868, Mr. Allion emigrated to the United States and located in Franklin County, Penn.  In 1839, he came to Ohio, and located in Richland County, moving to this county in 1838.  He purchased land in this township, and has since given his attention to farming, though a blacksmith by trade.  He was married, Jan. 12, 1837, to Christina Zupp, a native of Germany, resident of Richland County, Ohio, and daughter of Peter and Maria Zupp, who were natives of France.  They emigrated to the United States in an early day and settled first in Lancaster, Penn., moving from that point to Ohio, and later to Michigan.  Mr. and Mrs. Allion have had seven children, of whom but four survive, namely, Jacob, Elizabeth, Maria and Madaline.  Mr. Allion has 200 acres of land well stocked and improved.  He is a Democrat, and, with Mrs. Allion, a member of the Lutheran Church.
~ Page 764
  WILLIAM ASPINALL, proprietor of the woolen mill and handle factory at Carey, was born in Logan County, Ohio, July 22, 1845.  His parents, Robert and Ellen (Martin) Aspinall, were natives of Leeds, England, and Virginia respectively.  His father emigrated to the United States in 1822, and about 1840 located in Logan County, Ohio.  In the family were eleven children, namely, William, George, Elizabeth, Caroline, Edward, Daniel (deceased), Charles, Hannah, Robert, Thomas and Mary.  Mr. Aspinall served seven years in the woolen business as an apprentice in England, receiving only his board and clothes for his labor.  He was engaged in the same occupation about twenty-five years in Logan County, doing a very successful business.  His son, William, who is the subject of this notice, learned the woolen manufacturing trade when very young, and remained with his father till twenty-three years of age.  He began operations for himself in Logan County, where he remained till 1876, when he sold out and removed to Carey, purchasing the woolen mills of Enos Wonder in partnership with his brother, whose interest he purchased two years later.  In the spring of 1884, he added machinery for manufacturing handles, and this branch of the business receives attention during the winter seasons, the factory having a capacity of 2,500 to 3,000 handles per day.  The spinning capacity of the mill is 160 spindles, turning off fifty to seventy-five pounds of wool per day.  From one to three looms are kept in operation, though stocking yarns are a specialty.  Mr. Aspinall was married, Feb. 28, 1868, to Amanda Dickinson, born July 18, 1847, daughter of Joshua M. Dickinson, of Bellefontaine, Ohio.  They have three children - Ellen B., Mack and Ray.  Mr. A. is a member of the Good Templars, and a charter member of the Knights of Honor.  The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 764
  JOHN BAKER, son of Christopher and Rachel (Berry) Baker, was born in Ross County, Ohio, Aug. 14, 1815.  His parents were natives of Virginia, but were married in Ross County, Ohio, in 1811.  In 1822, Mr. Baker purchased land in this county, and effects to this locality.  He was compelled to cut a road four miles through the woods in order to reach his own land with the ox teams, which he used in freighting his goods.  He was the father of eight children - Sarepta, John, William, Christopher, Thomas, Olive J., Curtis and Jehu.  Three are deceased - William, Sarepta and ThomasMr. Baker died Nov. 27, 1848, his widow June 29, 1875, aged sixty-five and eighty-one respectively.  John Baker, the subject of this sketch, was married, June 26, 1836, to Susana Hare, of this township, born in Center County, Penn., Oct. 30, 1816, and daughter of Conrad and Ann M. (Spangler) Hare, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent.  Her parents were married in 1814 in her native county, where they resided until 1824, when they moved to Wayne County, Ohio, moving from there to this county in 1833.  They purchased land in this township, and reared ten children, namely, Solomon, Susanna, John, Lucetta, Margaret, Levi, Jonathan, Christopher, Samuel and Anna M.  The latter and Christopher are deceased.  The father died Aug. 8, 1847, the mother July 28, 1874.  Our subject began work for himself by making and laying up rails at $1 per 100.  In 1836, he purchased 107 acres in this township, selling out in the same year.  He then purchased forty acres, upon which he built a saw mill in 1838.  He then purchased forty acres, upon which he built a saw mill in 1838.  He operated this mill twelve years, and then sold out and purchased the home farm of 145 acres, upon which he now resides; has since added forty acres; built a fine frame barn in 1838; rebuilt in 1857, and again in 1883.  In 1872, he erected a large brick dwelling, and in making excavations for his cellar, he exhumed two large human skeletons, one seven feet in length.  Mr. and Mrs. Baker are the parents of twelve children, namely, Sarepta A., Anna M., McKendra, Ira J., Christopher S., Rozilla I., Lucetta J., Margaret E., John F., Lorane J., Hugh F. and Wellington J.  Three are deceased - McKendry, Anna M. and Lorane J.  Mr. Baker has served his township in most of its offices for several terms.  He was elected Commissioner of the county in 1858, and served six years.  He is a Democrat in politics, and with Mrs. Baker a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, having been converted at an Indian camp-meeting under Rev. Russell Bigelow fifty-four years ago.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 764
  BUELL S. BEEBE is a native of Malon, Franklin Co., N.Y.  He was born Jan. 9, 1823, and is a son of Simeon and Sallie (Russell) Beebe, who were natives of Connecticut and Vermont respectively, and of English parents.  His parents were married in Franklin County, N. Y., Feb. 20, 1812, and there resided till 1832, when they moved to East Constable.  Three of their six children survive, namely, Buell S., Sidney M. and Mary M.  The father died July 18, 1854.  His widow then moved to Lockport, N. Y., and thence to this county in 1871.  She died May 18, 1881.  Buell S. was married, Oct. 12, 1848, to Miss Lucinda Kear, a native of this county, and daughter of Jonathan and Caroline (Porterfield) Kear, natives of New York and Main respectively.  Her parents were married in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1826, and in the same year moved to this county, where her mother died in 1853, and her father in 1878.  Mr. and Mrs. Beebe had three children - Henry, Sarah and Laura A.  Mrs. Beebe died May 19, 1866, and Mr. B. was married Oct. 14, 1867, to Mrs. Abigail (Brundige) Sweetland, who was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Oct. 5, 1819.  Her parents, John and Phoebe (Drake) Brundige, were natives of York State, married in Delaware County, Ohio, and reared a family of nine children, of whom but two - Lydia and Abigail - now survive.  Her mother died in January, 1831.  Her father married Elizabeth Taylor subsequently, and is deceased.  Mrs. Beebe's first marriage was to Hiram Gould, and occurred July 17, 1838.  He was born and reared in Vermont, his parents having died when he was a mere boy.  One daughter - Ann E., born Jan. 7, 1841 - is the result of this union.  She was born in Delaware County, Ohio, and now resides in Ligonier, Ind.  Mr. Gould died Jan. 20, 1844, and Mrs. Beebe was married, Feb. 5, 1847, to Hiram Sweetland, of Delaware County, a native of Maine.  By this marriage, three children were born, two living - Byron and OrrieMr. Sweetland died Jan. 12, 1858.  In 1844, Mr. Beebe moved to Ohio.  He located in this county in 1845, farmed rented land, taught school, and finally purchased a farm, to which he has added till he now owns 265 acres, valued at $100 per acre.  In 1866, he built a fine brick residence at a cost of $3,000.  He is a Republican, and has served in several township offices.  He and Mr. B. are members of the English Lutheran Church.  Their daughter, Laura A., was married, June 30, 1874, to Charles D. Hoff, of this township, a native of Cayuga County, N. Y., born May 20, 1848.  His parents were Wessel C. and Harriet A. M. (Levalley) Hoff, natives of New York and Connecticut respectively.  They were married in Cayuga County, their only child being Charles D.  His father died July 5, 1851.  His mother married Dr. C. W. Boyce about 1855.  She died July 3, 1856.  Mr. Hoff came to Ohio in 1864.  He spent two years in Seneca County and then moved to Carey; learned the mason's trade, at which he is still engaged in this township.  He has four children - Edwin, Weldon, Winnifred and Mabel.  Sarah C. Beebe was born in this township July 19, 1851, and was married, May 28, 1872, to Miles Mullholland, who was born in Tymochtee Township Mar. 24, 1851, son of Hugh and Mary (Young) Mullholland, early settlers of this county.  Five children have blessed this union - Gertrude, Henry B., Freddie J., Jessie L. and Nettie May.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 766
  JAMES BOWLBY was born in Stark County, Ohio, Dec. 8, 1831.  His parents, James and Sarah (Gross) Bowlby, were natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania respectively.  They came to Ohio in 1831, located in Stark County, and reared to maturity a family of thirteen children, namely, Joseph, Rachel, Emanuel, John, Jacob, Hannah, Maria, James, Mary, Samuel, Elizabeth, Catharine and Sarah; the deceased are Rachel, John, Mary and Samuel  The family moved to Crawford County, near Galion, where the father died in 1870, in his seventy-fourth year, his wife having preceded him in 1859, closing her life in her fifty-seventh year.  James Bowlby, who is the subject of this sketch, was introduced to this county in 1852.  He married Amanda Grindle, Jan. 1, 1858, and purchased a saw mill west of Carey, operating the same eight years afterward it was again destroyed by fire.  He rebuilt a third, and in January, 1883, he sold out and removed to Carey, entering the employ of Watson & Co., as foreman of the saw mill department of their saw mill and planing mill.  Mr. and Mrs. Bowlby are parents of nine children - Ellen, Emma L., Alice A., Hattie, Rolland D., Orville C., Noland H., Alfred B. and Joseph W.  Mr. Bowlby is a charter member of the Nights of Labor, and a citizen of industrious habits and good character.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 767
  EUGENE M. GEAR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JOHN GINTERT, son of Fred and Ann M. (Kuhlin) Gintert, was born in Baden, Germany, Dec. 24, 1838.  His parents were also natives of Baden, and six children, of whom but two - John and Jacob - are now living.  His mother died in 1852, his father in 1874.  Mr. Gintert emigrated to America in 1866, and first located in Crawford County, Ohio, where he resided two years, when he moved to Carey, and engaged three years in the butchering business.  He was married, Feb. 3, 1870, to Elizabeth Hickle, of this township, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Hamm) Hickle, who were natives of Germany, but who married in Seneca County, Ohio, where they resided several years, after which they moved to this township, where they now live.  In 1870, Mr. Gintert purchased for acres in Ride Township, where he lived three years.  He then sold out and purchased his present farm, which now consists of 116 acres, valued at $70 per acre.  Mr. Gintert is a Democrat.  He and Mrs. G. are members of the Lutheran Church.  They have had five children - William, Anna M., Ina and Ida (twins), and Fred, all living but Anna M.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 777
  JOHN K. HARE, County Commissioner, was born in Center County, Penn., July 18, 1819.  His parents, Conrad and Anna M. (Spangler) Hare were both natives of Pennsylvania, as were also several previous generations of the Hare familyConrad Hare, wife and five children came from Pennsylvania to Wayne County, Ohio, in 1823, and ten years later moved to Crawford Township, this county.  Seven more children were born to them in this State; ten grew to maturity - Solomon, Susanna, Mary A., John K., Levi, Lucetta, Margaret, Jonathan S., Rebecca, Samuel S. and Christopher S.  The father died in 1847, aged fifty-six years; his wife lived to an advanced age.  AT twenty-one years of age, Mr. John K. Hare began work at monthly wages.  At twenty-three he took contracts on the I., B. & W. R. R., and continued in this kind of work at intervals for about ten years.  After four years in dry goods and grocery store at Patterson, Hardin County, he returned to farming.  In 1867, he removed to Southwestern Missouri, where he cleared up a fine farm, and eight years later he returned to Ohio and resumed work on the old homestead in this township.  Four years after this Mr. Hare moved to Carey and in 1881, was elected Commissioner of the county on the Democratic ticket.  He owns forty acres of land in this township, and is discharging his official duties with credit.  Mar. 2, 1848, Mr. Hare was married to Mary Warner, who was born in Allegany County, N. Y., Aug. 30, 1826.  Her parents, David and Elmira Robins, were both of New York, and with them she came to Hardin County, Ohio, in 1836.  Mr. and Mrs. Hare have had nine children, six of whom are still living - Almon W., Wilfred C., Sarepta A., Etta M. and Ella M. (twins), and Anna B.  The deceased are John A., David O. and Celestia, twin to Sarepta.  The whole family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In 1853 and 1854, Mr. Hare had a contract for grading twenty-one miles on the Eel River & Detroit Railroad west from Auburn, Ind., and was employing 150 workmen, when the company failed, causing him a loss of $15,000, being unable to obtain even a settlement.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 778
  DAVID HARPSTER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 779

  LEVI HILE, was born in Big Spring Township, Seneca Co., Ohio, Feb. 24, 1853, son of John and Susan (Putnam) Hile, natives of Germany and Ohio respectively.  His parents were married in this county, but lived in Seneca, where they reared four sons and four daughters, namely: Mary A., Lovina, Daniel, Levi, John H., Franklin, Ida E. and Emma A.  The deceased are Mary A. and Lovina.  The father died in 1869, in his fifty-ninth year; the mother is still living on the home farm.  Levi, our subject, has followed farm labor from his youth.  He was married, December 21, 1882, to Miss Emily J. Shuman, who was born in this township Dec. 16, 1853.  Her parents, Fred and Ann M. (Stahl) Shuman, were natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent.  They settled in this township at an early day and reared a family of nine children - Joseph, Sylvester, Ellen, Emily J., Catharine, Angeline, Susan, George and Frank. Her parents are yet living.  Mr. Hile purchased 152 acres of land, April 1, 1883, in this township, where he still resides.  He has made many improvements on the farm, and now values it at $90 per acre.  He is a Republican, and with his wife holds a membership in the Lutheran Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  PAUL and ANNA HOUK with their six children - Margaret, Catherine, John, Elizabeth, Peter and Henry - emigrated from Smallenburg, Bavaria, and landed in the United States in July, 1828, having spent three months on the voyage.  They were shipwrecked, but were finally picked up by another vessel.  They spent six months in Philadelphia, and then came to Ohio and located three miles south of Carey.  Here the sons and daughters grew to maturity.  The two brothers, Peter and Henry, were twins, and no less closely related in their business life.  They were born  in Bavaria April 21, 1819, and at the age of Maturity learned the trade of carpenters, working at the same together, building many of the houses in Carey.  Henry Houk married Juliette Irene Searless, in November, 1844.  She was an estimable lady and died June 27, 1865 - childless.  Her husband continued his trade several years after his marriage.  He then engaged in the hardware business, next the drug trade, and afterward turned his attention to the real estate and broker's business.  He married Elizabeth Sutphen, daughter of Richard D. and Sarah Sutphen, who then resided at Toledo, but now at Carey.  By this marriage there were three children - Harry S., Hallie G. and Willis Henery.  Mrs. Houk  is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, and was born Nov. 1, 1835.  Mr. Houk was quite successful in his business affairs and at his death, April 6, 1880, was the owner of considerable real estate in Carey, and some in Toledo, Ohio.  He erected his large, fine residence in 1876.  Peter Houk married Susan Carr, daughter of Nicholas and Margaret Carr, in April, 1844.  He was engaged as clerk in a dry goods store, at Adrian, Mich., for some time, but subsequently returned to this county and purchased a farm of 300 acres where he spent the remainder of his days.  He died July 5, 1870, leaving a wife and six children - Clinton N., Alvin D., Althea F., Anna M., Nellie L. and Henry Peter.  The death of Alvin D. preceded that of his father five days.  Mrs. Houk still resides on the old homestead.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  CHARLES HOYT was born in Lyons, Wayne Co., N. Y., May 8, 1834.  His parents, Samuel and Abigail (Alford) Hoyt, were natives of New Hampshire and New York respectively, the former born August 21, 1788; the later Oct. 9, 1792.  They were married, Sept. 15, 1814, and moved to Ohio in 1854, locating in Seneca County.  Their children were Zina, Harrison, Mary, Aurilla A., Samuel J., Sarah J. and Charles, all living but Aurilla  The mother died Aug. 16, 1863; the father June 27, 1872.  Charles Hoyt remained with his parents, until the opening of the late was, when he enlisted, Aug. 14, 1861, in Company D, Forty-ninth Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, and entered the service.  He participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Serratt's Hills, Corinth and other, receiving an honorable discharge, Sept. 11, 1863.  May 22, 1864, he again took the field as Captain of Company F, One Hundred and Sixty-fourth Regiment Ohio National Guards, but soon after returned to his position on the home farm, where he remained till 1882, when he purchased 160 acres of Gov. Charles Foster, in his township, where he now resides.  He has since added twenty-eight acres; now values his farm at $125 per acre, and is engaged in general agriculture.  He was married, Dec. 15, 1864, to Miss Saloma Yentzer, of Adrian, Ohio, daughter of John and Catharine Yentzer, natives of Pennsylvania and of German parentage.  She was born Nov. 1, 1839.  Her parents reared six children - Jacob, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Susan, Saloma and John.  The father died June 6, 1876, the mother in May 16, 1865; Saloma C., Nov. 11, 1866.  On the 8th of Oct., 1868, Mr. Hoyt was again married to Miss Emma M. Lott, a native of Mansfield, resident of Tiffin, and daughter of Cornelius and Eliza (Hitchne) Lott.  She was born May 22, 1844.  Her parents were married in Emmettsburg, Md.; moved to Ohio in 1844, and located in Tiffin.  Her father was a carpenter by trade, and reared four children - Emma M., Amanda H., Winfield S. and an infant daughter.  Her mother died in Aug., 1853; her father is now in his sixty-eighth year.  Mr. Hoyt is a member of De Molay Commandery, at Tiffin, and of the G. A. R. at Carey.  He and Mrs. Hoyt are members of the Presbyterian Church.  Politically, Mr. Hoyt  is a Republican.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  WILLIAM K. HUMBERT, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, Carey, was born in Berks County, Penn., Jan. 10, 1826.  His father and mother, Jacob and Catharine (Kitling) Humbert, were also natives of Pennsylvania, and of German parentage.  They had eleven children - William K., Jacob, Sarah, Daniel, Catharine, David, Ann, Mary, Frank, Amelia and Charles.  The latter was killed in the battle of Gettysburg.  Daniel was also a soldier, and was killed by Mosby's Cavalry in Virginia.  David, Frank and William K. were also in the army.  The children were reared to farm life, and at the age of twenty William K. took up the carpenter's trade, which he continued two and one-half years.  He then went to Tamaqua, Penn., and worked two years; then to Reading two years at cabinet work; then to Philadelphia until the spring of 1853.  In the latter city, he married Flora Ludwig, Dec. 21, 1852.  She was born in Lehigh County, Penn., Oct., 1833.  They removed to Allentown, Penn., and resided there till April, 1857, when they removed to Carey, Ohio, where he established a furniture and cabinet business with his brother-in-law.  Two years after, he disposed of his interest and worked at cabinet manufacturing till the beginning of the war.  August 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served throughout the Virginia campaigns.  After six months' service, he was detained to the medical department, officiating as master in the hospital at Grafton, Va.  He was discharged in September, 1865, and returned to his family at Carey, resuming his former trade, which he continued till the fall of 1883, when he leased the Commercial Hotel, which he has since managed.  Mr. and Mrs. Humbert have five children, - Dallas J., Lizzie, Harry, Katie and Clarence.  The family is associated with the Lutheran Church.  Mr. H.  is a charter member of the G. A. R., and is a genial and hospital landlord.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  THOMAS HUNTER.  This enterprising farmer was born September 22, 1839, is a native of this township, and son of William and Elizabeth (Reed) Hunter, natives of Pennsylvania and Delaware respectively.  His parents were married in Fairfield County, and moved to Wyandot, entering land in Crawford Township.  The children were Mary, James, Elizabeth, Zelinda, Lida, Mahala, John, Hester, Amelia, Isabel, Martha, Margaret and Thomas.  Zelinda and Margaret are deceased; the mother died in 1850, the father in June, 1860.  After the death of his parents, Mr. Hunter resided with his brother-in-law at McCutchenville till his marriage, March 20, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth Zabriskie, who was born at the above town September 27, 1837.  She was a daughter of Peter and Sarah (Reade) Zabriskie, natives of Ohio and Delaware respectively, and of English, Polish and Dutch parentage.  Her parents were married in Lockport, N. Y., moved to Ohio, located at McCutchenville and engaged in the butcher's business.  Their children were Mary E., Angelett, George and AramintaMary E. and George are deceased.  The father died in May, 1845.  The mother now resides in Adrian, Seneca Co., Ohio, in her seventieth year.  Mr. and Mrs. Hunter have two sons - Edwin E., born Nov. 24, 1862, and Charles W., May 10, 1877.  Mr. Hunter rented land a few years, and in 1864 purchased forty acres in Ridge Township.  He sold this, purchased a second forty in the same township, sold again, and in 1872 purchased a second forty in the same township, sold again, and in 1872 purchased eighty acres, on which he now lives.  In 1883, he added twenty-two acres in Salem Township.  Politically, Mr. Hunter is a Republican.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  EDWARD ILLIG, M. D.

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  GUS F. ILLIG, M. D.

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  CHARLES M. KARR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  HENRY W. KARR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  NATHAN KARR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  A. P. KELLY

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JOHN KEMMERLY

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  DAVID L. KENTFIELD, deceased, was born in this township Mar. 9, 1825.  He purchased land here in an early day, and at the death of his father in 1854 became the owner of 320 acres more, to all of which he added by subsequent purchases till he owned nearly 500 acres.  He gave his chief attention during his entire life to general farming and stock-raising.  He was married, Oct. 11, 1849, to Rebecca Park, who was born in Warren County, N. J., Oct 18, 1827.  Her parents were Jonathan and Eliza (Davis) Park, the former born in New Jersey in 1797, the latter in the same State in 1800.  They were of English and German descent respectively, and were married in their native State about 1821.  In 1845, they moved to Sycamore Township, this county, where they purchased land, on which they afterward resided.  Their six children were Aaron D., Mary E., Rebecca, Sarah J., John B. and William W. - all living but Aaron.  The father died Nov. 16, 1859, the mother Apr. 19, 1862.  Mr. and Mrs. Kentfield have had five children - Mark D., Laura Co., Vinton S., Leta and Linnie M.  Mr. Kentfield was a member of Company D, Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, having enlisted Aug. 14, 1861, and served faithfully for three yeas.  He was discharged with honor Aug. 19, 1864, and returned home to farming pursuits.  He served as Justice of the Peace several years, and was elected to other offices of trust.  He was an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he was officially connected.  He died Apr. 2, 1884, and his remains now repose in the Richie Graveyard.  Mrs. Kentfield still continues the management of the farm, which contains 380 acres, and on which was erected a fine brick residence in 1880 at a cost of $3,000.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 786
  JACOB KNEASAL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  H. B. KURTZ

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  ROBERT LOWERY

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  RUSSEL McCLURE

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  T. W. McCLURE

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  ALONZO F. MILLER, D. D. S., was born in Rich Hill Township, Muskingum County, Ohio, Oct. 3, 1852.  He is a son of Henry and Elmira (Flemming), his father born in the same county, his mother in what is now the incorporation of Pittsburgh, Penn.  The latter's mother died while Mrs. Miller was an infant, and she was reared by two aunts, who moved to Ohio in her eighteenth year.  Dr. Miller's great-great-grandfather, Reasnaugh (which in this country is called Reasoner), was a French Huguenot, and was compelled to flee to this country to escape the persecutions inaugurated against their creed in France.  Philip Miller, an ancestor of Dr. Miller, was born in Hanover, Germany, and came to this country in company with a widowed mother, brother and sister.  He was bound out to a party in Baltimore, Md., and from the time of his separation from his brother and sister at New York he never heard from them.  They were all bound out to parties in Baltimore to pay their passage - virtually, sold into slavery.  The brother and sister eventually located in Washington County, Penn.  Dr. Miller's grandfather, Abraham Miller, located in Muskingum County, Ohio, about 1817.  His father, Henry Miller, still resides in that locality.  Dr. Miller was reared on a farm, and at the age of nineteen had a good common school education.  He supplemented this with a course at Muskingum College, the Northwestern Normal School at Republic, Ohio, and the Iron City Commercial College, Pittsburgh.  In 1876, he began the study of dentistry with Dr. Davis, of Fostoria.  In March, 1878, he located in Carey, where he has established an extensive practice in his profession.  He was married, Sept. 13, 1877, to Elmira S., daughter of Rev. Henry and Lydia (Voght) Strauch, the former a minister of the Evangelical Church.  Mrs. Miller was born Apr. 9, 1861, in Chillicothe, Ohio.  Edna L. is their only child.  Before locating in Carey, Mr. Miller attended the Ann Arbor Dental College, at which he graduated in May, 1878.  He is a member of the Masonic order, and a much respected citizen.  The Doctor is the eldest of nine children - Alonzo F., Rachel l., Lena M., George D., Elmer L., Della M., Mary E. and Jacob H., all living.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 789
  JOHN R. MILLER was born in Ross County, Ohio, July 13, 1815.  His parents were Warick and Mary (Hodges) Miller, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and German descent respectively.  They were married in Ross County, their four children being Elizabeth, Thomas, Rebecca and John R.  His mother died in 1816; his father July 16, 1865.  Mr. Miller was married, Mar. 31, 1836, to Catharine A. Burke, of this county, a native of Seneca County, and daughter of James and Elizabeth (Ridgway) Burke, natives of Virginia, and Irish and English descent.  Her parents married near Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1825, and moved to this county about ten years later.  They had six children, two of whom are still living - Isaac and Caroline.  To Mr. and Mrs. Miller two children were born, both dying in infancy.  Mrs. Miller passed away in Dec. 30, 1838, and Mr. M. was married June 17, 1841, to Elizabeth Reynolds of Hancock County.  She was born in Pennsylvania, and was a daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Shall) Reynolds, also natives of Pennsylvania.  Her parents migrated to Ohio in 1835, and located in Hancock County.  Their children are George W., Elizabeth, Maria, John, Andrew, Abner, Napoleon and Peninuah, all living but the last, Abner and Napoleon.  The father died in 1846, the mother Jan. 30, 1884.  In 1835, Mr. Miller purchased seventy eight acres in this township, where he still resides, having added to his original purchase till he now owns 252 acres, valued at $75 per acre.  He has served in the office of Trustee, and with his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, his former wife was also a member of the same society.  He is a Republican in politics, favoring prohibition.  The children born of these parents are Elizabeth, Elias, Cyrus E., and Florence M. all living and married.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  ALBERT H. MYERS, M. D.

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JACOB NEWHARD

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JAY NEWHARD

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  AARON NIGH, retired farmer, was born in Fairfield Co., Ohio, Oct. 15, 1820.  His parents Adam and Catharine (Fauchnaue) Nigh, were both born in Maryland, came to Ohio when young, and were married in Fairfield County.  The children born to them were Emanuel, John, Aaron, Barbara, Gideon, Silas, George A., Delano, Jonas, Adam and Harrison.  In 1834, the family moved to this township, where Mr. Nigh entered 640 acres of land, and began its improvement.  Mrs. Nigh died in 1856, and Mr. Nigh in December, 1877.  Aaron resided on the farm with his parents, till his marriage to Eliza J. Ogg, June 2, 1842.  His wife was a daughter of Kinzley Ogg, and was born May 1822.  Her father came here from Jackson County in 1826.  After his marriage, Mr. Nigh went into the woods and began clearing up a farm of seventy-five acres purchased of his father.  To this farm additions were made till he owned 240 acres.  Five children were born to them – Chester K., Margaret (now Mrs. Bachor), Scott, Albert and James.  Mrs. Nigh passed from earth Dec. 17, 1880, and in 1881 Mr. Nigh sold the farm and moved to Carey, where he has since lived a quiet, retired life.  He was married, Aug. 21, 1881, to Mrs. Mary E. Fisk, born Dec. 15, 1827, widow of C. M. Fisk, and daughter of Samuel Richey, a farmer of this county, who came here from Virginia.  By her first husband, Mrs. Nigh has four children – Senoratta, Esmeralda, Amarillis and Alfretta.  Mr. Nigh is a Republican, and served eight years as Trustee of the township.  He has been a consistent member of the U. B. Church for the past thirty years.  His first wife was a member of the same society, as is also his present wife.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 791
 

GEORGE A. NIGH, son of Adam Nigh, was born in Fairfield Co., Ohio, Oct. 13, 1829.  He was but a child when his parents came to this locality.  His early years, up to the date of his marriage, Oct. 4, 1850, were spent with his parents in farm life.  His wife was Lucinda Cushman who was born in Ashtabula Co., Ohio, Nov. 8, 1832.  Her parents both died while she was a child of six years.  She came to this county from Fairfield with friends about 1847.  Mr. and Mrs. Nigh have four living children – Amariah F., Effie, Emanuel and Iva.  Two died in infancy.  After his marriage Mr. Nigh tiled his father’s farm one year and then purchased a small farm near Carey.  In 1864, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forth-fourth Ohio National Guards, and served four months.  He sold his farm before going to the army, and on returning farmed about ten years and then turned his attention to gardening, which he has engaged in sine 1874.  Mr. Nigh has been Street Commissioner eight years in Carey.  He is a member of the G. A. R. and Good Templars.  Both he and Mrs. Nigh united with the United Brethren Church about thirty years ago.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 791

 

HARRISON H. NYE, son of Adam and Catharine Nye, was born near Carey Apr. 20, 1836.  He was reared on a farm, and when about eighteen years of age began teaching school.  He obtained a good education and taught about twenty years – three terms, in the schools of Carey.  In 1859 he made a trip to California to recover something from one Buel for whom his father had gone security and lost considerable property.  Not being successful, he returned after eighteen months and resumed his school work, working at intervals at the carpenter’s trade.  He traveled considerably in the West, teaching in the respective States of Indiana, Illinois and Kansas.  Dec. 3, 1860, he married Susan Drumm, daughter of Elias Drumm, of Seneca County, Ohio.  Two children were born to them, one living – Albert M., now in business at Carey.  In 1872, Mr. Nye engaged as local agent for the Walter A. Wood Harvester, and has since handled agricultural implements of various kinds.  He is an earnest Republican, and both he and Mrs. Nye are members of the Lutheran Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

 

DAVID S. NYE, son of Frisby and Isabel (Hulbert) Nye, was born in Ridge Township, this county, June 22, 1836.  He was reared a farmer and before his twentieth year he married Mary M., daughter of William and Sarah Starr, the event taking place Mar. 26, 1856.  Mr. Nye’s parents moved from Fairfield County to Hancock, about 1833, and unloaded their effects under a tree, till a cabin could be erected.  Mrs. Nye was born Sept. 23, 1838.  She began life with her husband by keeping the hotel, American House, now known as the Commercial House, at Carey, conducting this business one year.  Mr. Nye then purchased the building and grocery stock of Thurman & Dunaway, for the sum of $1,300 cash, and a horse, saddle and bridle.  He was quite successful until he closed his business and enlisted as a soldier, May 2, 1864.  He was a member of Company D, One Hundred and Forty fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged, Sept. 2, 1864.  Previous to his enlistment, he had spent about eighteen months in special service for the Federal Government.  He was slightly wounded at the skirmish of Dranesvine, and was also wounded slightly by Kirby Smith’s pickets on the Lexington pike, Ky., neither of which disabled him from service.  He was honorably discharged, and received a certificate of thanks signed by President Lincoln and Secretary Stanton for the worthy service he had rendered his country.  At the close of the war, he returned to Carey and resumed the grocery business, which he continued until Jan., 1884.  Mr. Nye is a Democrat, but one other of the family voting with him.  He has eight children – Laura A., Flora T., Ella J., Florence L., Minnie L., Elmer E., Grace V.  and David H.  Florence  and Elmer are deceased.  Mr. Nye was present at the hotel at Alexandria, when Jackson shot and killed Col. Ellsworth, and saw Jeff C. Davis shoot Gen. Nelson at the Gault House, Louisville.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 792

  HENRY NOLL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  FRANCIS PAHL, son of Peter and Lena Pahl, was born in Baden, Germany, Nov. 20, 1818.  (See sketch of Joseph Pahl)  He was married Dec. 2, 1844, to Mary Simons, having emigrated to this country ten years previous.  Mrs. Pahl was a resident of Norwalk, Ohio, a native of Germany, and daughter of John and Mary (Kling) Simons, who were natives of Germany, and who emigrated to America in 1834.  On arriving in this country, her parents located in New York City.  Three years later they moved to Seneca County, Ohio, and in 1863, to this county.  Their nine children were Mary, Elizabeth, Catharine, Julia, Peter, Lena, Henry, Margaret and Adam - all living now but Mary, Elizabeth and Peter.  The father died Feb. 5, 1883; the mother resides in Upper Sandusky in her eighty-fifth year.  Mr. Pahl purchased his first land in Huron County, Ohio, in 1841.  To this first twenty acres he added twenty more subsequently, and this farm he cultivated till 1869, when he sold out, moved to Wyandot County and purchased 156 acres on which he now lives.  Mr. and Mrs. Pahl had eight children -Elizabeth, Mary A., Catharine, Frank, Peter, Rosa, Frederick J. and Hellen.  Of these Mary A., Catharine and Frederick J. are deceased.  The mother died July 4, 1857, and was interred at Norwalk, Ohio.  Mr. Pahl was married, Dec. 2, 1858, to Miss Lena Simons, a sister of his former wife, and to this union nine children were born, namely, Louisa S., 1859; Francis, 1860; Henry, 1862; Mary A., 1864; William F., 1866; Emil A., 1869; John, 1871; Charlie, 1873, and Kosmos, 1876.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 793
  JOSEPH PAHL, son of Peter and Lena (Wemerd) Pahl, was born in Rubed, France, June 7, 1834.  His parents were natives of Germany and emigrated to America in 1834.  They spent one year in Buffalo, and then moved to Huron County, Ohio, where they reared seven children - Lawrence, Frank, Lena, Emily, Julia, Joseph and Peter, all living but Lena.  The mother died in September, 1841, the father in December, 1874, their respective ages being forty and seventy-four years respectively.  In September, 1856, our subject was married to Miss Angeline Frend, of Cleveland, a resident at that time of Norwalk, Ohio, and a native of Germany.  She emigrated with her parents when about five years of age, and died at the birth of her second child, her first also dying an infant.  Mr. Pahl was married, Sept. 17, 1860, to Catharine Kurs, of Seneca County, a native of Germany, and daughter of Joseph and Mona Krus, who emigrated in 1850, and settled in the above county.  The father died four years since; the mother still survives.  Mr. and Mrs. Pahl are parents of thirteen children, ten living, namely, Frank A., Mary, Joseph A., Fred A., Josephine, Edward, Caroline, Anna, Albert and Lewis; the others died in infancy.  In 1856 Mr. Pahl purchased land in Huron County, but in 1865 sold out and came to Wyandot, where he purchased ninety-three acres in this township, where he now resides.  His farm is well-improved and valued at $90 to $100 per acre.  He is a Democrat in politics, and both himself and Mrs. Pahl are members of the Catholic Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 793
  JOHN A. PITTSFORD

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  DANIEL POWELL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  LUTHER G. RANGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JOHN G. REYNOLDS was born in Seneca County, Ohio, Jan. 2, 1837, and is a son of Abraham and Harriet (Goldsmith) Reynolds.  His parents were married in New York, their native State, and with two children came to Ohio in 1830, locating on a farm near Republic, Seneca County.  Later they removed to Tiffin.  There were nine children, viz., Lysander, Matilda Harriet, Volney, Alphonso, John G., Alice, Eliza and William.  The two latter daughters are deceased.  John G. the subject of this sketch, obtained a good common school education, and attended the Heidelberg College.  He taught school in the country schools of Seneca County, and one term in the Carey Schools.  His sisters were all teachers.  November 14, 1867, he married Margaret Purkey, widow of William Purkey, and daughter of James Vickers, one of the pioneers of Hancock County, Ohio, where she was born April 29, 1838.  They have two children - Morley P. and Glenn Mrs. Reynolds had two children by her first husband - Olive (deceased) and Bertie.  Her parents, James and Sarah (Madison) Vickers, were natives of England, and emigrated to this country in 1818.  They were two years at Pittsburgh, Penn., then moved to Wayne County, Ohio, and in 1834 to Hancock County.  Their children were Sarah A., Elizabeth, James A., Mary, George and Margaret.  Her parents died at their home in Hancock County, her father in his seventy-third year, her mother in her eighty-fifty year.  Mr. Reynolds' parents died at his home in Carey; his father in the seventy-fifth year of his age, his mother in her seventy-sixth.  In August, 1862, Mr. Reynolds enlisted in Company D, One Hundred Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, to serve three years.  He was promoted to Sergeant, and participated in many of the heaviest battles, namely, Moorefield, Winchester, New Market, Piedmont, Lynchburg, Snicker's Ford, Martinsburg, Strasburg, Charleston, Halltown, Berryville, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, besides many minor engagements, witnessing the surrender of Lee at Appomattox.  In the three years; service he escaped without a wound or a day of sickness, and was never absent from his regiment twenty-four hours.  On his return from the war, he resumed teaching and farming.  In 1873, he purchased three acres, with a fine brick residence in Carey, and in 1881 he purchased 101 acres joining the corporation.  Mr. Reynolds is a member of the K. of H. and G. A. R.  The family is associated with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  J. A. ROYER, M. D.

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  WILLIAM SALTZ

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  GEORGE W. SAVIDGE is a native of this township.  He was born July 24, 1847, and is a son of Foster W. and Julia (Kirtz) Savidge, of Salem Township.  Mr. Savidge made his first purchase of land in Allen County, Ohio, in 1874, remaining in that locality four years.  In 1878, he sold his farm and returned to this county, purchasing his present farm of seventy acres, upon which he has sine resided.  He was married in 1876 to Miss Alice Davis, a resident and native of Marion County, and a daughter of Isaac and Farby (Walker) Davis, who still reside in Marion County, and who are the parents of five children, namely, Alice, Emma, Eley, John and Hattie.  Emma A., Foster W., and Lulu L.  In politics, Mr. Savidge is in favor of Republicanism.  He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, and well respected as a neighbor and citizen in his community.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
  EDWARD S. SHELLHOUSE

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JACOB C. SHULER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  FREDERICK SHUMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JOSEPH SHUMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  SYLVESTER SHUMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JAMES R. SIDDALL is a native of Mahoning County, Ohio, and was born July 11, 1842.  His parents, Joshua and Mary A. Siddall, were natives of Ohio and reared seven children.  The family moved to Hancock County in the spring of 1851, and in the fall of the same year the father died, owning about300 acres of land.  James R. remained with his mother till twenty years old.  He then enlisted (fall of 1862) in Company6 H, Fifty-seventy Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the fall of 1863.  Returning to his home in the spring of 1864, he went to Montana, and was engaged in mining till 1869, when he again returned to Hancock County.  In 1870, he went to Kansas, but returned the same year; farmed one year on his mother's land; run a saloon two years in Vanlue; came to Carey in January, 1874, and till 1884 conducted a saloon in that place.  He married Mary Hart October 20, 1879, and they have one daughter - Jessie.  Mr. Siddall was elected Councilman in 1881, and re-elected in 1883.  In February, 1884, in company with C. L. Sheldon, a nephew whom he reared, he opened a grocery store in Carey, in a building purchased in December previous.  They are enjoying a liberal patronage.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 800
  M. A. SMALLEY, the present Mayor of Carey, and Justice of the Peace, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1850.  He is a son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Smith) Smalley, and at the age of eighteen began life for himself, pushing out for the West.  He located in Labette County, Kan., where he spent two yeas in teaching school and enjoying the pleasures of the chase, also its profits, which at that date were very fair.  While in that locality, he was one of the many who had occasion to partake of the hospitalities of the notorious Bender family, and, as later developments evidenced, was at one time "spotted" as a prey of the murderous fiends.  On returning to Wyandot County, he engaged in farming and teaching.  He was elected Justice of the Peace of Crawford Township, and in 1882 was elected Mayor of Carey, to which place he had removed in 1880.  He devotes the principal part of his time to the business of negotiating and dealing in Western land, chiefly in the States of Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri and Texas, besides a considerable in Ohio.  Mr. Smalley was married, Jan. 26, 1877, to Miss Hattie, daughter of Daniel Benson, of Morrow County, Ohio, and four children have been born to them, namely, Stella, Horace, Stanley and Lucile,  He is a member of F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., Wyandot Encampment, K. of H., and Myrtle Lodge, Independent Order Good Templars.  In politics, Mr. Smalley is a Democrat, and is one of the most popular of Cary's citizens.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 800
  CLINTON SMITH was born Jan. 2, 1857.  He is a native of Hancock County, Ohio, and son of David and Aurelia (Brown) Smith, whose history appears in this work.  He was married, Nov. 16, 1882, to Miss Lillie Anderson, who was born in this township Oct. 18, 1859.  She was a daughter of Isaiah J. and Elizabeth (Stauffer) Anderson, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania respectively, and now residents of Carey.  They are parents of five children, namely,,,, James, Lillie, Rezin, Frederick and Ella.  The mother died May 3, 1883.  This father still resides in Carey.  In 1882, Mr. Smith purchased 100 acres of land, located just west of the town of Carey, where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits.  He values his farm at $100 to $110 per acre.  He holds a membership in the great society of Republicans, and is regarded as one of the township's most reliable citizens.  Mr. Smith is a members of the Lutheran Church at Carey, Ohio.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 800
  DAVID SMITH, formerly a prominent farmer of this township, was born in Hampshire County, Va., Jan. 26, 1814.  His father and mother, Jacob and Mary (Long) Smith, were natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia respectively, the former being of German parentage, and the hatter by trade in his younger days.  After his marriage he operated a flour mill in Virginia.  The family consisted of six children - Eliza, George, John, David, Samuel and Sarah A.   Mrs. Smith had two sons by her first husband - William and Jacob Rannells.  In the fall of 1824, Mr. Smith moved from Virginia to this county and located about one mile west of the present site of Carey, where he entered eighty acres of land.  On this farm the children grew up, and in due season began life on their own responsibility.  George Smith entered the Methodist Episcopal ministry, and died in Michigan.  The parents died in the neighborhood where they had spent most of their mature days, the father in 1859, in his eighty-second year, the mother in 1869 in her eighty-sixth year.  Mr. Smith was a man of liberal views and highly respected.  He served as Associate Judge while this was yet Crawford County.  David Smith, our subject, worked on the farm with his parents till twenty-six years of age.  He married Amelia Brown, daughter of William Brown, June 4, 1840.  Her parents came to this county in 1824.  She was born at Columbus, Ohio, Apr. 28, 1823.  After his married Mr. Smith began farming on the Big Spring reservation on land purchased by his father.  He here improved 200 acres, to which he added 300 more in after years.  His chief  business for the past twenty years has been the raising of fine grades of stock - thoroughbred short-horn cattle.  In 1868,  he came to Carey property with his children, whose names are as follows: Ellen A., McKendree, Ann L., William B., Albert, Emma V., Clinton D. and Virgil A.  The eldest son, McKendree, enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the fall of 1862, and served about two years in the war when he has taken sick and died in the hospital at Philadelphia, Penn.  Mr. Smith is Republican in politics; he was elected Land Appraiser in 1880, and has served several years as School Director.  After a life of toil and hardship for many yeas, they are now enjoying the fruits of their labors.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 801
  M. B. SMITH, attorney at law, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, Feb. 22, 1846; he is a son of Samuel and Margaret (Hare) Smith, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively; his father came to Ohio in 1824; his mother in 1834.  They located in Ridge Township in 1858, and reared four children - M. B., J. A., S. O. and M. AllieMr. Smith obtained a good education and taught school several terms.  Mar. 28, 1864, he enlisted in a United States Signal Corps, and was discharged after the close of the war Sept. 10, 1865.  He returned home and farmed to years; engaged two years in the grocery and produce business, and in 1871 began the study of law, which he prosecuted three years, at the end of which time he began the practice of his profession.  In 1883, he purchased fifty acres of land lying a short distance north of Carey, and opened thereon two limestone quarries, erecting two draw kilns, by which he is enabled to produce 175,--- bushels of lime per year.  Forty acres of his land are underlaid with the finest limestone in Ohio, the product of his kilns yielding 92 per cent to 95 per cent of carbonate, and competing favorably in the market with material purchase in Philadelphia at 50 cents per bushel.  Mr. Smith was married Aug. 9, 1870, to Emma J. McClure, daughter of Russell and Milda (Joy) McClure.  Two children are the fruits of this union - Dora H. and Homer A.   Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and highly esteemed citizens.  Mr. Smith is warmly attached to the interests of the Republican party.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 801
  HIRAM J. STARR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  FRANKLIN M. STARR

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  AMOS STETLER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  MICHAEL STINER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JACOB F. STOLL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  LUDWIG STOLL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  DAVID STRAW

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  D. H. STRAW

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  WILLIAM A. WALBORN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 807

  SAXTON C. WILLIAMS was born Feb. 23, 1831, in New Scotland, Albany Co., N. Y., and is a son of Richard and Mercy (Chesebrough) Williams, who were respectively natives of Connecticut and New York State, and of Welsh and French ancestry.  They were married in Albany County, N. Y., and in 1844 removed to Schoharie County, N. Y., thence to Chemung County, in the same State, in 1848, where they resided till the year 1862, when they came to Ohio, settling in Wyandot County.  Their union was blessed with three sons and five daughters - Sarah L., Saxton C., Samuel Y., Mary E., Huldah, William, Harriet and Lucy.  Sarah L., the eldest, is deceased.  The father died in November, 1873; the mother resides in Crawford Township.  Saxton C. Williams removed to this county in 1857 and settled in Crawford Township.  He was married, May 9, 1860, to Miss Emily J. Wisner, born in Orange County, N. Y., June 18, 1838, and a daughter of Asa and Susan (Kinner) Wisner natives of Orange County and of English descent.  Their marriage took place in Chemung County, N. Y., in November, 1824, and in 1853 they removed to Ohio, locating in thsi township.  Of thirteen children born to their union two sons and three daughters survive - Frances, Emily J., Charles K., Abigail and James F.  Two of their sons sacrificed their lives upon their country's altar.  The father of these children died Feb. 11, 1842; the mother now resides in Clarey, with Saxton C., the subject of this sketch.  He served in the late war as a member of Company D, One Hundred and Forty-fourth Regiment Ohio National Guards, and was honorably discharged Sept. 2, 1864.  He has served the village of Carey as Mayor three terms, and is a citizen of honorable character.  He is a Republican and politically, and is a member of the F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and Knights of Honor, Good Templars and G. A. R.  He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Their only son, Corwin A., was born May 27, 1866.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 807
  ANDREW J. WONDER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  DAVIS H. WONDER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  FRED H. WONDER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  MATHIAS WONDER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  FRANCIS J. WORALLO

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page

  JOHN F. ZIMMERMAN was born in Green Springs, Sandusky Co., Ohio, June 5, 1851.  His parents, William and Elizabeth (Brownell) Zimmerman, were respectively natives of Pennsylvania and New York State, and of German and English descent.  They were married in Sandusky County, where they reared five children, four sons and one daughter - Charles W., John R., Electa A., James A. and Elijah H., all living.  At the age of twenty, our subject began learning the art of photography at Green Springs, Ohio, and continued under instructions at that place two years.  He then removed to Carey, and two years later to Crestline, but returned to Carey in 1877.  The following year he built a small gallery, occupying the same until 1881, when he sold and erected a larger and more suitable building.  In 1880, he provided himself with a two story frame residence, which he has since occupied.  Feb. 3, 1874, Mr. Zimmerman was married to Miss Nancy A., daughter of Henderson and Mary (Lowry) Lytle, early settlers of this county and the parents of twelve children.  Mr. Zimmerman, a native of Carey, Ohio, was born August 26, 1855.  The union of Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerman has been crowned with three children - Marey E., William H. and Carol A.  Mrs. Zimmerman departed this life May 28, 1881 being at the time of her death a member of the Lutheran Church.  Mr. Zimmerman celebrated his second marriage in Nov., 1882, and Miss Martha E. Lytle, a sister to his former wife.  She was born Nov. 22, 1858.  Mr. Zimmerman is Democratic in political sentiment, a member of Myrtle Lodge, No. 416, of Good Templars, and of the Lutheran Church.  Mr. Zimmerman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page
 

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS - WYANDOT COUNTY >

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
WYANDOT COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights