OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source: 
History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,
1884

CHAPTER IV.
EDEN TOWNSHIP
pg. 811

THE TOWNSHIP AS ORIGINALLY SETTLED - EARLY SETTLERS - REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY OWNERS IN THE TOWNSHIP IN 1845 - EDUCATIONAL AND RELIGIOUS - TOWNSHIP OFFICIALS SINCE 1845  -
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (ALL)

< BACK TO HISTORY OF WYANDOT - TABLE OF CONTENTS >

     THIS township when originally erected was a part of Leith, a township of Crawford County, and was created by the Commissioners of that county in March, 1838.  It lies east of Crane Township, and between Sycamore on the north and Antrim in the south; the east being bounded by Crawford county.  On the 2d day of June, 1845, the first Commissioners of this county, Stephen Fowler, William Griffith and Ethan Terry, ordered "That Sections 1, 12, 13, 24, 25 and 36 of the original surveyed township of Range 14 east, No. 2 south, be attached to Township No. 2 south of Range 15 east, and the same be designated as Eden Township."  These boundaries continue to the present time.  The township derived its name from the heavy growth of excellent timber, poplar, walnut and other varieties, and the fertility of its soil, which qualified it for the operations of husbandmen, and not, perhaps from the "fig leaf attire" of its original inhabitants, the red man.  It contains thirty sections, about three-fourths of which are drained by Peter Run, Negro Run, and its tributary, Kisor Run, and a few others, all of which empty into the Sandusky River.  The southeast quarter is drained by Indian Spring Run and its tributaries, which in Antrim Township take the name of Broken Sword Creek.

EARLY SETTLERS.

     The first white man who established himself in this township was, perhaps, Isaac Miller, a native of Rockingham County, Va., who, with his family of five to seven children, located on Section 29, near the present town of Nevada, in 1836.  He was familiarly known as Congress Miller, and for seven years leased land of Jacob Young, a Wyandot Indian.  In 1837, Mr. Miller was joined by George W. Leith, better known as Judge Leith, who settled on a quarter-section of Section No. 10, and John Horick on Quarter-section 27.  Judge Leith was a man of considerable prominence in the early history of the county, having served as Justice of the Peace in Crawford County, and as Associate Judge of Wyandot County for a period of eight years.  In 1839, John Welsh, Morgan Carter, Zaccheus Lea, Mr. Hill, Charles Caldwell, Samuel Snyder and a Mr. Cook were added to the list on Sections 34, 10, 10, 3, 34, 28 and 27 respectively.  In 1840, 1841 and 1842 these were re-enforced by others who followed in rapid succession till quite a settlement was formed.
     The taxable inhabitants of Eden Township in 1845, were as follows:

OWNERS OF REAL ESTATE

     Adams, Demas, Sections 5, 15, 22 and 27, 375 acres; Akins, H. G. C., Section 34, 80 acres; Bartoon, John L., Section 15, 62 acres; Cook, Joshua,

[pg. 812]
 Section 27, 54 acres; Culver, Ebenezer, Section 10, 63 acres; Garrett, George, Section 3, 66 acres; Howland, Augustus, Section 15, 80 acres; Horick, John, Section 27, 120 acres; Kiser, David, Section 10, 142 acres; 'Lemon, Joel Section 3, 42 acres; Lauck, George, Sections 5, 15 and 22, 279 acres; Lea, Zaccheus, Section 10, 80 acres; Leith, George W., Section 10, 80 acres; McElvain, John Sections 5, 3, 10 and 12, 281 acres; Mitten, Miles Section 3, 80 acres; Neeley, William, Section 27, 80 acres; Slocum , Ezra, Section 34, 132 acres; Stokely, Robert, Sections 3 and 22, 223 acres; Smith, William Section 15, 80 acres; Smith, Daniel, Sections 5, 27 and 34, 303 acres.

OWNERS OF PERSONAL ESTATE.

     Charles Caldwell, Joshua Cook, Levi Bunn, William Hartman, John Horick, David Kiser, George W. Leith, Zaccheus P. Lea, Isaac Miller, Lair Miller, Miles Mitten, James B. Robinson, Samuel Snyder, John Welch, Jr., James Welch, John Welch, Sr., Jacob Weeks, William Welch.
    
The first road regularly laid out in the township extended through Sections 34 and 27, and was opened in 1839, though prior to this the Indian trails and "blazed tracks" were, no doubt, quite numerous and considerably used.  The Oceola road from Indian Run to Rock Run was opened by the Wyandot Indians, under the supervision of Isaac Miller, who at this date resides in Antrim Township.  Some of these earlier roads of "trails" led to the Indian resorts, one of which was the locality of the springs, which were supposed to be medicinal in their qualities, located in Section 22, and two others on the farms now owned by Henry and Samuel Aten on the Oceola State Road.  On the farm now owned by Tilman Balliet an Indian burying ground is located, and here from the healing fountains, they repaired to chant the death songs over their stricken dead.  Orchards were planted, and among these, as well as in other places, they have left their records in the implements of war and the chase, stone hatchets, spear heads and arrow heads and besides these the crude domestic utensils, such as the mortar and pestle by which they ground the corn that served to make their bread or thicken their skunk and 'possum broth.  For the greater part of their supplies the earlier settlers of this township, as well as of other townships went to Sandusky City and Fremont, and up to date Eden Township cannot claim the honors of a grist mill.  In 1849, the first saw mill was erected by Crawford & Lance, and seven mills are now in operation in the township - one owned by Samuel Bever at Nevada; one by Turney & Yohe, Edenville; one by Joseph Paulin, Little York; a fourth by John Kreechbaumon Section 6; a fifth by James Spangler, Eden Center; another by Martien Brothers,  Section 15.  The mercantile interests of Eden were somewhat thwarted by the establishment of a store in the village of Wyandot in an early day, and later by the sudden appearance and growth of Nevada (which, however, is partially situated in this township), after the construction of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad.  There are at present, however, two stores in the township outside of the villages, one situated on Section 20, conducted by Conrad Hasas; the other on Section 17, conducted by Daniel T. Warner.  The first store was kept by William Jobs on Section 9.  The first dwelling log cabin, 14 x 18, by Congress Miller.

EDUCATIONAL

     The first schoolhouse erected in Eden Township was constructed of logs and very small in dimension.  Nancy Steele was the first to wield the peda

[pg. 813]
gogic wand, she being succeeded by Mary ChambersIsaac Stinebaugh, William Jobs and others.  The first school building was built on Section 10, the land being owned by Zaccheus P. Lea, and as the forests were cleared away and the inhabitants increased in number, others followed, till there are now eight districts established and provided with good school buildings.  They are located on the following sections respectively:  Sections 4, 7, 8, 22, 24, 27, 32 and 39.  The schools of Eden Township are conducted as well, perhaps, as those in other townships in the county, yet there is still much room for improvement in this direction, and, as regards attendance, the field for improvement is equally ample.  Since the organization of the first crude classes, under the instruction of Nancy Steele, at $6 per month, wages have increased, till the prices from $35 to $45 per month.  The school rooms are provided with books, charts, and most of the modern conveniences, and with these should come the best of educational results.

RELIGIOUS.

     While the temporal and material interests of the people of Eden Township were being carefully guarded and developed, the spiritual and eternal were not forgotten.  The first church building was erected on Section 3 by the combined forces of the Methodist, United Brethren and Congregational denominations in 1851.

     Union Church - At a meeting of the citizens of the township, held at the Case Schoolhouse, in District No. 2, Jan. 14, 1859, it was decided that a union church should be erected, and the site and size (30x40 feet) of the building were also agreed upon.  John Paulin, Jacob Beery and Jacob Boroff were appointed a committee to solicit subscriptions, the latter gentleman agreeing to donate one acre of land on the southeast corner of the southeast quarter of Section 12 on which to locate the building.  At this first meeting, Mr. Case was made President and A. Mackey, Secretary.  A second.......................MORE TO COME

     German Baptist Church -

OFFICIAL.

     The following is a complete list of the officers who have served in the township since the organization of the county:

Trustees  
1845 - John Welch, Miles Mitten, Samuel Snider
1846 - John Welch, George W. Leith, John Caldwell
1847 - James Anderson, Oliver Beard, Peter C. Ulrich
1848 - James Anderson, Oliver Beard, Peter C. Ulrich
1849 - James S. Cummins, Peter C. Ulrich, Thomas Heugher
1850 - James S. Cummins, Jacob Ulrich, James Anderson
1851 - Miles Mitten; James Anderson, Benjamin Marshall
1852 - James L. Armstrong, George Eyestone
1853 - Miron B. Case, James L. Armstrong
1854 - George Eyestone, Miron B. Case
1855 - James Anderson, David S. Wolf
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

CLERKS
1845-47 James B. Robinson;
1848 Jesse Edgington
1849 John Welch
1850-51 Jesse Edgington;
1852 David Swank;
1853 Harris Beemis;
1854 Jesse Edgington;
1855 David Swank;
1856 Jesse Edgington;
1857-58 John Maskley
1859 Isaac kaufman;
1860-62 E. F. Elliott;
1863-70 John Maskley
1871 C. H. Canan;
1872-74 I. O. Osborn;
1875-77 C. H. Canan;
1878-79 T. B. Armstrong;
1880-81 T. D. Lanker;
1882-83 J. N. Paulin.

TREASURERS
1845, John Harick;
1846-47, Jesse Edgington;
1848-54, George W. Leith;
1855, Jacob Buroff;
1856, Daniel Whitmore;
1857-58, J. L. Armstrong;
1859-60, George W. Leith;
1861-69, David Balliet;
1870-75, Tilman Balliet;
1876-77, B. J. Ulrich;
1878-79, R. W. Pool;
1880-82, C. S. Swank;
1883, Samuel Althouse.

     The following list of Justices of the Peace were recorded on the township books:

1847, William R. DeJean;
1850, 1853, 1856 James S. Cummins;
1859, William R. DeJean;
1862, Godfrey Blaser;
1867 and 1870, Jacob Gilliland;
1873 James S. Cummins;
1876, John A. Amlin and William B. Miller;
1878, John Bender;
1879, Israel Hart;
1880, B. J. Ulrich
1881, T. D. Lanker.

 

< BIOGRAPHIES OF EDEN TOWNSHIP >

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
WYANDOT COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights