OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source: 
History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,
1884

CHAPTER VII.
MIFFLIN TOWNSHIP

ORGANIZATION AND BOUNDARIES - PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS - ROADS, ETC.
FIRST SETTLEMENTS - INHABITANTS OF THE TOWNSHIP IN 1845 -
TOWNSHIP OFFICIALS - MISCELLANEOUS -
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (ALL)

 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS - WYANDOT COUNTY >
 

  C. P. BRICHER, an enterprising merchant of Kirby, was born October 22, 1856, in Seneca County, Ohio.  He is the son of Stephen and Anna (Dunnersbough) Bricher, both of German nativity and descent.  Mr. Bricher came with his parents to Wyandot County when but two years of age, and was engaged with them in farm labor till his nineteenth year.  He received a good English education, and in the year 1878, entered upon the grocery business as a clerk for Mr. Carter, in Kirby.  This position he retained about eighteen months, when the establishment was turned over to Mr. Switzer, and Mr. Bricher was placed in full charge of the same.  Here he remained till the year 1880, when he purchased a stock of general merchandise, and opened up an establishment of his own, where he is still engaged.  Mr. Bricher is a member of the Catholic Church, and is Democratic in his political views.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 888
  DANIEL CLINGER, was born in this county, Jan. 28, 1839, is a son of John and Barbara Clinger, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German parentage.  His parents located in this county about 1830, and purchased eighty acres of land, on which they afterward resided, his father dying November 18, 1880.  He was a member of the Albright Church.  Daniel Clinger was reared on the farm.  He enlisted for three years, or during the war, in the Third Ohio Cavalry, in December, 1861, and joined the army of the Cumberland, participating in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Berryville, Stone River, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Resaca, Mumforville, and many minor engagements.  He served his full time and was discharged at Nashville, Tenn.  Returning home, he engaged in farming, and in the course of a few years purchased fifty acres of land where he now resides.  Mr. Clinger was married July 15, 1860, to Miss Eliza Young, daughter of Lewis and Christina Young, and born Aug. 1, 1844.  They have three children: James A., born Aug. 24, 1861; Ida J., Dec. 28, 1865; Elliott E., Nov. 15, 1867.  Mr. Clinger is a Republican, and both he and Mrs. Clinger are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 888
  HAMILTON DEAN was born in this county, Apr. 30, 1844.  He is a son of Abraham and Nancy (Simmerson) Dean, natives of New York; the former born Aug. 10, 1808; the latter July 20, 1805.  They were married Jan. 11, 1827, and eight children were born to them - Mary, Isaac, Sophia, John, Martin, Edward, Hamilton and Eliza.  Clarinda M. is deceased, having passed away July 6, 1835.  The father came to this county in 1836 and died Oct. 20, 1873, leaving 100 acres of land as an estate.  The mother is still living, in her seventy-eighth year.  Hamilton Dean, the subject of this notice, was reared on the farm and early learned the lessons of industry.  He was married Mar. 3, 1866, to Miss Ruby Vanorsdall, daughter of Andrew and Katie Vanorsdall and three children are the fruits of their union - Clemmie L. born Apr. 2, 1870; Perry L., May 30, 1872; Orra E., June 23, 1878.  Mrs. D. was born Nov. 21, 1843.  Mr. Dean resided with his father till 1870, and then purchased his present farm of eighty acres, which he has placed in excellent repair.  He is a member of the Christian Union Church, and well respected by the citizens of his community.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 889
  JAMES GIBSON was born in Ross County, Ohio, Mar. 6, 1805.  He is a son of Robert and Rhoda (Donavan) Gibson, natives of Delaware and New Jersey respectively.  They were married in the former State, in 1798, Mrs. Gibson dying in 1808.  Their children were John, born in 1799, James and a daughter who died at one year of age.  Mr. Gibson subsequently married Mrs. Amelia Reed, widow of Meyer Reed, and the following children were born to them: Joseph, David, Benjamin, William, Eliza and Robert.  In April, 1821, Mr. Gibson came from Fairfield County, and entered 160 acres in Tymochtee Township, where he died in 1861.  James Gibson the subject of this sketch, returned to Fairfield County, where he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he engaged in many years in this State and Michigan.  He was married Mar. 30, 1838, to Mary Ann, daughter of John Beam, a native of Maryland, and a miller by trade.  Their children were Joel W., born Dec. 15, 1842; Delilah, November 19, 1844; Emma December 5, 1846; Cornelius, December 22, 1848; Julia, December, 1850.  The deceased were Eliza, born Feb. 11, 1839, died 1839; Louisa, born Dec. 16, 1852, died 1856.  Mrs. Gibson's demise occurred in December, 1853, and Mr. Gibson was married in 1858, to Mrs. Rachel Corderey, widow of Andrew Corderey, and daughter of MR. Carpenter, of Marion County.  She died in 1872.  Mr. Gibson resides on his farm fo 132 acres, eighty of which were entered before the land sales of 1845.  He also owns forty acres near by.  He is a Democrat, and member of the Universalist Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 889
  JOHN HANER was born near Albany, N. Y., Aug. 27, 1822, and is the son of Henry H. and Sarah (Strope) Haner.  His parents came to this county in March, 1838, and purchased 111 acres in the township, where they resided until 1863, when they emigrated to Kansas, where his father died in 1879.  John Haner, our subject, came to this locality when quite young.  In 1858, he bought eighty-two acres of school land, which he has cleared, and transformed into a pleasant home.  He was married November 9, 1847, to Miss Lovina A. Vanorsdall, daughter of Andrew and Kate Vanorsdall, and three children were born to them - Darwin G., Sept. 1, 1848; Cynthia A., Sept. 23, 1850; and Henry A., Oct. 26, 1852.  Mrs. Haner departed this life Oct. 30, 1852; and Mr. Haner was married in 1863, to Miss Sophia Dean, daughter of Abraham and Nancy dean, six children resulting from this marriage - Dorleska J., born Sept. 16, 1864; Alfred B., Feb. 28, 1866; Ella M., May 1, 1866; John, Jan. 26, 1870; George E., July 16, 1872; and Mary E., Dec. 26, 1876.  Mr. Haner still resides on his first purchase, having lived in the same place about thirty-three years.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 890
  J. E. HEALY was born Nov. 21, 1830, in Stark County, Ohio.  He is the son of Horace and Elizabeth (Brumel) Healy - the former born Feb. 24, 1808 - natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania respectively, and of Scotch and German lineage.  Ten children were born to them, three brothers and three sisters still surviving, namely: John E, Stephen and William; Catherine, Philinda and Elizabeth.  While a youth, when not in school, Mr. Healy was engaged in blacksmithing and farming till his marriage on June 5, 1855, to Miss Minerva Hazen daughter of Jacob and Margaret (Crottinger) Hazen.  She was born May 26, 1836, and is the mother of five children, four living - Isaac N., born Sept. 29, 1856; Stephen E., Dec. 7, 1857; Alice, Feb. 28, 1859; and William Mar. 27, 1861.  After his marriage our subject engaged in blacksmithing, carpentry, clerking and general labor until 1864.  Sept. 26, he enlisted in the service of his country, joining Company C, One Hundred and Eightieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; he was mustered in at Camp Chase, and started immediately for Nashville.  He was assigned to the Twenty-third Army Corps and took part in the three days' battle at Wiges Cross Roads, this being his first engagement.  Besides this he was engaged in a few skirmishes with Bragg, Lee and Johnson till the surrender of the latter General.  He was then sent to Charlotte, N. C., where he received his discharge, and afterward to Columbus, Ohio, where he was mustered out in September, 1865.  He then returned home, where he still resides, and is reckoned among the pioneers of the county.  He has a vivid recollection of the Indian, and is familiar with his treacherous character.  In politics, Mr. Healy is a Republican.  He is a member of the G. A. R., and highly esteemed as a citizen.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 890
  RUSSELL B. HENDRICKSON was born in this county July 8, 1834, and is the son of Thomas B. and Mary (Martin) Hendrickson.  His father was born in Delaware Aug. 12, 1794; and was married in Cumberland in 1812 to Mary Martin, daughter of Robert Martin, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Their children were - Maria, John W., Henrietta, Sophia, Lennox, Elizabeth and Michael C. - all living but Lennox, who died in 1834.  In 1838, the father moved to Marseilles Township, where he purchased 160 acres, and where he died Aug. 14, 1875.  The mother died May 6, 1860.  Russell B., our subject, was educated in the old "Tranquilly" Schoolhouse, now called Pleasant Grove.  He was married Oct. 31, 1866, to Theresa Ann, daughter of James B. and Hannah (Corwin) Cook.  Their children are Lilly May born Sept. 25, 1868; and Julia May, Mar. 17, 1872.  Mr. Hendrickson owns 160 acres of good land and is a thorough farmer.  He is quite a sportsman, and makes an annual trip to the deer haunts of Michigan.  He is a Democrat, and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also his eldest daughter.  Mrs. Gibson, after an illness of many years, passed away Jan. 20, 1884.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 890
  JACOB HOLLANSHEAD was born in Frederick County, Va., Jan. 7, 1815, son of Thomas and Iva (Deal) Hollanshead, the former of whom died the same year.  The latter remarried in 1819 to William Stayner of Pickaway County, their children being Maria, Thomas and Susanna B., wife of David Bower.  Mr. Hollanshead came with his stepfather to Marion County in 1824, and resided there till 1846.  He was married to Jane Conrad, daughter of Jacob and Eve (Van Devander) Conrad, Jan. 4, 1838.  She was born May 23, 1817, after the death of her father.  This union was blessed by eleven children: Mary Ann, born Mar. 10, 1839; Maria, Dec. 13, 1840; William H., Nov. 3, 1842, Jacob S., Mar. 5, 1847; Orrin F., Feb. 24, 1849; Milton M., Aug. 3, 1853; Matilda J., Oct. 14, 1855; Julia V., Jul. 5, 1858; Emma, Sept. 10, 1861.  The deceased are Thomas, born Apr. 2, 1845, and missing after the battle of Stone River in 1862-63; and Elizabeth, born Mar. 6, 1857, died Mar. 31, 1865.  In the spring of 1846, Mr. Hollanshead came to this county and located on the farm where he now resides, his log cabin giving place in 1857 to his present comfortable frame dwelling.  His first land purchase was made at the Government land sales in 1845, and to this he has added, by subsequent purchases, till he now owns 360 acres valued at $75 per acre.  He is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising, his annual product usually amounting from $1,500 to $2,000.  Mr. Hollanshead served as County Commissioner three years and in the minor offices of Trustee, Treasurer, Justice, etc., many years.  He is a thorough and life-long Democrat, and has been officially connected with the Methodist Episcopal church for thirty-five years.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 891
  MILTON M. HOLLANSHEAD, son of the above, was reared in the rural districts, educated in the districts, educated in the district schools, supplementing this by several terms in the Normal School at Ada, Ohio.  He has since engaged to a considerable extent, in teaching, and at present is a member of the Board Examiners of the county.  In connection with this pedagogie labors Mr. Hollanshead is largely engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, making a specialty of fine sheep, having one of the best flocks in the State.  He was married Sept. 13, 1882, to Miss Annie L., daughter of John R. and Hannah (Bennett) Layton, the date of her birth being Sept. 11, 1862.  He and Mrs. H. are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the former a Democrat, rocked in a hickory cradle.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 891
  ANDREW J. KAIL was born in Harrison County, Ohio, Jan. 28, 1821.  His parents, Adam and Anna (Capper) Kail, were natives of Virginia and of German and Irish lineage.  They located in Harrison County in an early day and purchased eighty acres of land, on which they resided nineteen years.  He then moved to Carroll County and purchased 160 acres, where the father died in October, 1852.  Andrew J., the subject of this sketch, was brought up on a farm and early inured to the hardships pertaining thereto.  In 1853, he bought 160 acres in this county, where he has since resided.  He subsequently added to his possessions and owned at his death 240 acres in excellent condition, valued at $80 per acre.  He was married Dec. 20, 1849, to Julia V. Lindsay, daughter of Samuel and Mary Lindsay, and three children were born to them - Samuel P., Jan. 30, 1853; William, Dec. 13, 1854; Anna E., Nov. 24, 1856.  Mrs. Kail's death occurred Nov. 30, 1856, and Mr. Kail was married May 1, 1860, to Miss Sarah McHugh, daughter of William and Sarah (Culberson) McHugh.  She was born Oct. 9, 1828.  Three of their six children are living - Julia V., born Nov. 7, 1861; Scott, Sept. 3, 1865; Frank I., Oct. 5, 1870.  Andrew J., James A. and John C. are deceased.  Mr. Kail died suddenly while in Upper Sandusky Mar. 12, 1884.  The Wyandot Union, in noticing his death, says: "Mr. Kail was one of our most substantial and influential farmers, owning and occupying one of the finest farms in Mifflin Township.  He was a man of many excellent qualities, enjoying the high esteem and respect of all who knew him, and his many friends will learn of his unexpected death, with much sorrow and regret.  He was admired and respected by every one for his kind and cheerful disposition, integrity and honor.  He started in life with a limited capital, but by his excellent business qualities, devotion to his affairs and great industry, he prospered in everything he undertook and amassed a handsome estate.  He was one of the representative Democrats of Wyandot County, and always took an active part in politics when any important office was to be filled, and in other matters of importance he was generally consulted by his neighbors and those directly interested."  For many years he was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, and was always active in the promotion of its interests and welfare, and few men were more liberal in aiding religious and benevolent enterprises than he.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 892
  SAMUEL P. KAIL, son of the above-named gentleman, was born Jan. 30, 1853.  He is a native of Carroll County, and came to this locality when but one year old.  He obtained a fair education in the district schools and subsequently attended the Normal School at Ada, Ohio, five terms.  This culture he has turned to advantage by teaching, having taught seven terms.  He was married Oct. 21, 1879, to Miss Matilda J. Hollanshead, daughter of Jacob and Jane (Conrad) Hollanshead, and two children have been born to them - Clarence C., born Nov. 24, 1880, and Ira J., Aug. 6, 1882.  Mrs. Kail was born Oct. 14, 1855.  In 1879, Mr. Kail purchased seventy-nine acres of land in this township, where he now resides, farming during the summer and teaching during the winter seasons.  Since the death of his father he has taken charge of the old farm and of settling his estate.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 892
  HARMON R. LESLIE was born in Marion County, Ohio, Mar. 27, 1848.  He is a son of John and Esther (Smith) Leslie, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, and of Scotch and German ancestry respectively, the father born May 15, 1808, the mother Dec. 13, 1813.  The dates of their respective deaths are Sept. 21, 1851, and Sept. 2, 1861.  Six of their seven children are living - Louisa, James S., John J., Martha, Samuel D. and Harmon R.  The latter, who is the subject here considered, was brought up on a farm, and obtained a good education in the district schools and the high schools at La Rue and other points.  He engaged in teaching eight years; kept a drug store two years, and afterward studied medicine under Dr. Hardy and attended one course of lectures at the Cleveland Medical college.  He was married, Aug. 4, 1880, to Miss Sarah Lindsey, daughter of James and Elon (Stiverson) Lindsey, natives of Ohio, and of Scotch and German parentage respectively, the former born Nov. 23, 1814, the latter July 29, 1814.  The dates of their respective deaths are Feb. 19, 1881, and Nov. 1, 1882. Mrs. Leslie was born Dec. 8, 1849.  She also attended medical lectures with her husband, in view of graduating in the profession.  They have one child, James W., born Oct. 24, 1882.  They are jointly the owners of 160 acres of land, which they inherited from Mr. Lindsey and eighty acres by purchase.  Of the Lindsey family four are living - Robert, Ann M., Sarah and Mary  The deceased are: John killed in battle at Moulton, Ala., May 29, 1864; David, killed at Monocacy, July 10, 1864, and James, who died at home June 16, 1858.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 892
  HUGH, MASON, a native of Frederick County, Va., was born Sept. 11, 1833.  His parents were natives of Virginia and of German and Scotch lineage, his father, William, born Oct. 8, 1799; his mother, Mary M. (Cameron) Nov. 5, 1799.  They came to Seneca County, Ohio, in 1834 and resided there till the death of the father, Feb. 11, 1841.  The mother died Dec. 16, 1878.  Hugh, the second son of the above parents was left an orphan at eight years of age and was compelled to labor diligently for many years to aid in supporting himself and mother.  He was married Dec. 31, 1857, to Miss Jane E. McLain, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Neff) McLain, born Aug. 25, 1835.  They have no children.  In 1864, Mr. Mason enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forth-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and joined the Army of the Potomac.  On account of physical disability he was not placed in active service, and on leaving the hospital at Washington was discharged.  In 1874, he moved upon his farm of forty-four acres in this county, having purchased the land in 1872.  This farm he has placed in good condition, having earned all that it now contains or promises by hard, honest toil.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 893
  JOHN W. McCLEARY is a native of Franklin County, Penn., born Feb. 2, 1840.  His father, Mathew, was born Mar. 8, 1812, and died in February, 1879.  His mother, Susanna, was born June 13, 1816, and still survives.  Seven of the nine children are yet living - John W., Martha J., wife of Charles Hunter; Sarah, wife of Morris Owens; Leah, wife of George Hawkins; Isaiah, Joshua, Jemima, wife of Daniel Fox.  The parents came to this county in 1847, and purchased 200 acres of land on which they resided till Mr. McCleary's death.  John W., our subject was brought up on the farm above mentioned.  In 1865, he purchased 100 acres, to which he has since added forty acres, all in good condition as to soil, buildings, etc.  He married July 18, 1861, Miss Anna D. Englehart, of Terre Haute, Ind., daughter of Martin and Christina Englehart, born Apr. 4, 1843.  Their six children are Eliza J., born Apr. 19, 1862; Silas W., Aug. 9, 1863; Amanda E., Oct. 22, 1867; Sylvia J., Dec. 9, 1869; Herschel V., Dec. 22, 1871; Marietta C., July 1, 1874.  Mr. and Mrs. McCleary are members of the Christian Union Church, and also of the Patrons of Husbandry.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 893
  ASA QUAIL was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1838, is a son of Henry and Barbara (Pepple) Quail.  He was reared to farm labor, and after obtaining his majority worked by the month and rented land until he had acquired a sufficient sum to purchase forty acres of land, to which he has since added forty acres more.  He was married May 28, 1863, to Miss Mary R. McLain, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Neff) McLain.  She was born May 14, 1843.  Their six children are all living - Sylvia J., was born Apr. 19, 1865; Martha E., June 4, 1871; Mary A. June 11, 1873; George A., Apr. 29, 1876; Iva B., Sept. 3, 1878; Asa A., May 1, 1882, Mr. Quail is a member of the Church of God, and a Republican politically.  He has a comfortable home, most of which he has earned by the "honest sweat of his brow."
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 893
  JOHN QUAIL is a native of Marseilles Township, son of Henry and Barbara (Pepple) Quail, born May 4, 1840.  He grew up on the farm in this county, and is familiar with the various steps of its progress.  In 1866 he purchased eighty-five acres of land, and by subsequent purchases has increased this number to 125.  His land is in a good state of cultivation and provided with comfortable buildings.  Mr. Quail was married Mar. 8, 1865, to Miss Mary Reubins, and one child was born to them - Frank E., born Aug. 29, 1867.  Mrs. Quail departed this life Mar. 15, 1868, and Mr. Q. was again married Nov. 4, 1869, to Miss Ida Kiser, daughter of Wesley and Malinda (Reid) Kiser, five children blessing this union - George H., born Mar. 2, 1871; Guy P., Nov. 11, 1872; Virgil K., Feb. 19, 1875; Rollo V., Aug. 30, 1881; Victor Q., Nov. 13, 1883.  Mr. Quail obtained such an education as the ordinary district schools afforded.  He has ever been a hard laborer and commanded the esteem of his community.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 894
  GEORGE RIESER is a native of Baden, Germany, born May 11, 1824, and son of George and Raekina Rieser, also natives of Germany.  He came to this county with his parents in 1846, and established a brick-kiln in Upper Sandusky, where he resided about six years, when he purchased eighty acres of land in Mifflin Township, where he still follows the occupation of a farmer.  His farm was once timber land and has been hewn into a valuable home by the greatest industry and perseverance.  Mr. Rieser was married, Oct., 1847, to Elizabeth Fehter, who was born in Switzerland, December, 1828.  Their union has been blessed with one child - William H., born September 10, 1848.  Mr. Rieser was a soldier of the standing army, in Germany, and has passed a life of many vicissitudes, but finds himself in good circumstances in his declining years.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 894
  MARQUIS L. ROWLAND, son of John and Catharine (Ady) Rowland, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, Mar. 10, 1844.  His father was a native of Pennsylvania, born May 4, 1804; his mother, of Ohio, born Aug. 9, 1817.  They were of German and Irish descent, and came to this county in 1855, purchasing 100 acres of land in Mifflin Township.  He died April 13, 1857, in his fifty-third year, a member of the Disciple Church.  Marquis L., our subject, grew up on the farm of his father.  At thirteen, he was left an orphan, and thereafter labored hard to help support his widowed mother (who now resides with him,) and obtain an education.  He has taught several terms of school, was elected Township Clerk in 1871, serving one term, and April, 1874, Justice of the Peace, in which office he is now serving his fourth term.  Mr. Rowland was married Nov. 29, 1866, to Miss Atty A. Ludwig, daughter of Gabriel and Eliza A. (Johnson) Ludwig, and six children have resulted - Francis L., born Jan. 9, 1868; Willis P., born Sept. 7, 1869; Dora A., July 4, 1871; Allen T., May 25, 1873; Ira T., Apr. 30, 1875; Curtis M., June 11, 1879.  Mrs. Rowland was born Oct. 12, 1845.  Mr. Rowland is a member of the F. & A. M., owns 120 acres of land and is highly esteemed as a citizen.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 894
  WILLIAM F. SMITH was born in Bedford County, Penn., Jan. 18, 1833.  He is a son of Adam and Elizabeth (Wehen) Smith, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German parentage.  There were eight children in the family, four living - Henrietta, wife of Ferdinand Switzer; Elenor, wife of Jacob Switzer; William F. and Sophia, wife of William Rieber.  The deceased are Margaret, Caroline, George A. and Reuben, who enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was killed in the battle of Winchester.  After engaging in brick-making a number of years in various localities, the father came to this county in 1851, and purchased 120 acres of land, where he died a few years later.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in good standing.  William F., the subject of this notice, was reared on the farm, and, after his father's death, aided in supporting the family.  He was married, Dec. 26, 1854, to Miss Elizabeth Stevens, daughter of John and Sarah Stevens, and the following are the names of the children born to them: Josiah J., Oct. 20, 1855; George W., Sept. 7, 1857; John A., Apr. 2, 1859; Reuben E., Dec. 28, 1860; William V., Mar. 20, 1863; Elenor M., May 26, 1868.  Mr. Smith purchased and inherited 120 acres, on which he resided fourteen years.  He then removed to Bucyrus to burn brick for the new Union School building, at that place sold his farm, purchasing one of 480 acres (the Renick farm), which he afterward disposed of in small lots, and purchased his present property.  Besides 159 acres in this township, he also owns forty acres in Marseilles Township, and is ranked among the best farmers of the county.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 896
  ORRIN F. STRAW was born on the farm where he now resides, July 29, 1846.  He is a son of Joel and Mary (Swayze) Straw, the former born near Waterbury, Vt., Aug. 11, 1811; the latter in Sussex County, N. J., Dec. 5, 1808.  They were married in this county, Aug. 11, 1836, their children being Rachel, born May 29, 1839; Orrin, F., July 29, 1846; Amanda, Nov. 15, 1849; Angenette, Sept. 7, 1852, and four others deceased.  The father died Jan. 28, 1867, aged fifty-six; the mother is still living at the ripe age of seventy-five years.  Our subject was married Apr. 9, 1873, to Miss Maria M. daughter of Barnett and Catharine (Woodcock) Hughes, and a native of this county, born Mar. 27, 1849.  Their children are George W., born April 5, 1874; Iva E., Oct. 27, 1878; Anna B., July 25, 1881;  and William S., who was born July 19, 1876, and died May 11, 1880.  Mr. Straw owns 307 acres of good land, and is one of the substantial farmers of the township.  He is a Republican and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly a Treasurer of the township.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 895
  GEORGE THIEL was born in Luxemburg, Germany, Nov. 11, 1828.  He is a son of Lawrence and Catharine (Wynande) Thiel, who were the parents of eighteen children.  Our subject was married to Susanna Bricher in Echternach, August 11, 1849.  In 1854, he emigrated to America, being 114 cays at sea with half rations for many days, and three days with nothing to eat or drink.  His wife and two children crossed the water in the fall of the same year, suffering shipwreck, from the effects of which the children both died.  Mr. Thiel located first in Seneca County, but six years later purchased land in this county, now owning 258 acres.  His children by his first wife are Ferdinand, born Nov. 1, 1858; Stephen, Mar. 22, 1861; Henry A., Nov. 16, 1863.  Mrs. Thiel died Aug. 1, 1865, and Mr. Thiel  was married, Nov. 24, 1865 to Anna Bantz, daughter of John and Mary A. (Lusch) Bantz.  The children by this marriage are George S., born Aug. 28, 1866; Edward, Mar. 11, 1870; Catharine, Nov. 25, 1871; Mary, May 28, 1873; Paul, July 18, 1875; John, Mar. 3, 1878; Susanna, Jan. 30, 1880; Peter, Apr. 11, 1883.  Mr. Thiel is a Democrat and member of the Catholic Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 895
  JONATHAN O. VANORSDALL was born in Cuba, Allegany Co., N. Y., Jan. 13, 1836.  He is a son of Andrew and Katie Vanorsdall, was reared on a farm, and educated in the district schools.  He came to this county with his parents in 1846, and on Feb. 24, 1860, was married to Margaret Simmerson, daughter of Walter and Mary (Snyder) Simmerson.  The had six children, three now living - Ida M., born May 14, 1864; Charley O., December 10, 1866; Clara B. September 26, 1869.  Mrs. Vanorsdall was born Sept. 26, 1833.  Being a shoemaker by trade, Mr. Vanorsdall followed this occupation till 1870, when he moved upon his farm, since engaging in agricultural pursuits.  He and his wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and highly esteemed by the citizens of their community.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 895
  W. W. WHALEY was born in this county Apr. 15, 1862.  He is a son of Wilford and Juliette (Parlett) Whaley, his father having been born Aug. 25, 1822, and died June 11, 1883.  Before his death he had acquired by hard labor and good management 145 acres of well-improved land, with all the comforts of a pleasant home.  He was a member o the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also his widow, who still survives in her fiftieth year.  W. W. Whaley was an only son.  He resided with his father till the death of the latter, at which time he inherited 100 acres of the homestead, where he still resides with his mother and aged grandmother, who was born Feb. 15, 1800.  His farm is in a good state of cultivation, and well provided with all the buildings necessary to comfort and convenience.  Mr. Whaley is counted among the best farmers of his community, and is well respected as a citizen.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 896

.

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
WYANDOT COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights