OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source: 
History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,
1884

CHAPTER XI.
SALEM TOWNSHIP

LOCATION AND BOUNDARIES - ORIGIN OF THE NAME - FIRST SETTLERS - OWNERS OF REAL AND PERSONAL ESTATE IN THE TOWNSHIP IN 1845 - OFFICERS FROM 1845 TO 1884 INCLUSIVE - SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES - VILLAGE OF LOVELL
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (ALL)

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS - WYANDOT COUNTY >
    

     THIS part of the county was named from Salem, a small town in Massachusetts, and received its title from Job Mattson, the first Justice of the Peace to serve under its organization, which took place in 1845.
     The township is located in the fertile region of the county, having Crane Township for its eastern boundary, Mifflin for its southern, Richland for its western and Crawford for its northern.  Through its center, the beautiful and storied Tymochtee traverses its entire length from north to south in a zigzag course, paralleled almost by its principal tributary, the Little Tymochtee, on the east, while Lick Run, Baughman Run and streams of lesser importance drain its western fields.  Its farms are small, for the most part, but the owners are prosperous, and the work of improvement is rapidly going on.

FIRST SETTLERS.

     Ezra Stewart is said to be the earliest settler in this township, having located on the southwest quarter of Section 5, in Oct., 1831.  He was a married man with three children, a native of Connecticut.  Henry Stewart located in Section 6, in 1834; pitched his tent under a large sugar tree, and proceeded to build his cabin, which occupied twelve days in its construction.  He had entered one hundred acres of land, and his chattels comprised of one yoke of oxen, four cows, a barrel of flour and a few articles of furniture.  At that time the nearest settlements were those of Judge Brown, west of Carey, Judge Carey on Tymochtee Creek and Huston's west of Forest, Hardin County.  Other early settlers of the township were Elisha Burson, Warwick Miller, Jacob Baughman, Milton Ear, Duane Bland, Abner Suber, William Davidson, George Davidson, Henry Honk, Henry Davis, A. J. Failor, George Michaels, T. P. Taylor, Ezekiel Bogart, Daniel White, and George Cordery.
    
In the early settlement of the township, as well as that of others in the county, the Indians were often a source of great annoyance.  In the fall of 1887, an old Seneca Indian of the original tribe appeared at the cabin of Arnold Inman, and the parents being absent, he demanded of the children something to eat.  On being informed that there was nothing about the house to supply his wants, he was very wroth and drew from his scabbard at his side a long, wicked-looking butcher's knife, which he brandished furiously about him, threatening in the most savage manner to take the lives of the whole group of terrified children unless he was provided with what he desired.  To add to the terror of the scene, he drew from beneath his blanket the dried skin of an infant babe in which he carried his tobacco and began filling his pipe, telling his amazed listeners at the time that he obtained the babe's skin at the battle of Buffalo in 1813.  He stated that there his squaw was shot while attempting to swim the river, and was drowned as a result.  He had sat down to smoke, but having finished his broken speech he arose, went to a shelf in the cabin, and took from beneath a tin pan a good sized Johnny-cake.  He then resumed his seat by the fire, and while thus seated his observing eye discovered a pile of ashes in one corner of the fire-place.  True to his native instincts, he began to make investigations by probing the ashes with the ever present fire poker of those days, and soon resurrected the smoking potatoes which the children were preparing for their evening meal.  He proceeded to deposit these with the Johnny-cake in his blanket, when seeing themselves in a fair way to lose their supper, the eldest of the children, Arwin, prepared to resist the intruder.   He went out of the cabin and unloosed the old watch dog, took possession of the old red-skin's gun which he had left standing outside the door, and ordered him to return his trophies and depart.  Again the old savage brandished his tomahawk and knife in the air, and threatened death to the brave youth, who stood his ground firmly, and compelled the old Seneca to move away, the boy pitching the gun over the brush fence after him as he made his departure.
     From the year 1837, Salem Township increased rapidly in the number of its settlers, who had come to make this then unsubdued forest land their home, till at the organization of the county in 1845.
     The owners of real and personal estate in the township were as follows:

OWNERS OF REAL ESTATE:

Anderson, John Section 6 40 acres
Brown, Jacob Section 18 120 acres
Baker, George G. Section 29 101 acres
Bowton, Timothy Section 13 133 acres
Baughman, Jacob Sections 8 & 17 152 acres
Baughman, Ebenezer Section 7 80 acres
Baughman, David Section 18 80 acres
Baughman, Daniel Section 19 167 acres
Buckley, Daniel Section 6 40 acres
Crandall, John Section 6 40 acres
Chaffee, Sydney L. Section 24 117 acres
Ely, Charles Section 31 323 acres
Erlick, Charles E. Section 18 40 acres
Fisher, James Section 19 80 acres
Figley, William Section 20 147 acres
Gardner, Isaac Section 8 48 acres
Hurd, Jarvis O., heirs Section 30 80 acres
Houch, Paul Section 5 28 acres
Haume, Nicholas Section 7 44 acres
Hattle, Jacob Section 30 40 acres
Ingraham, Edward Section 21 40 acres
Inman, Arnold B. Section 17 96 acres
Kurtz, Michael Section 5 20 acres
Laravill, Jabez B. Section 30 123 acres
Leslie, Alexander Section 18 40 acres
Layton, Christian Section 7, 8 & 30 339 acres
Machan, Stephan C. Section 19 83 acres
Myers, Samuel Section 18 83 acres
Morrow, David Section 6 80 acres
Mann, John B. Sections 29 & 30 140 acres
Morris, Isaac Section 18 84 acres
Miller, Warick Section 6 132 acres
Merritt, Tygart S. Section 31 40 acres
Nicholas, John Section 19 80 acres
O'Neil, Patrick Section 30 123
Orr, Smith Section 7 40 acres
Putnam, Jacob Section 5 106 acres
Potter, Horace Section 18 80 acres
Perkins, Thomas S. Sections 31 & 32 261 acres
Preston, John Section 6 80 acres
Perkins, Thomas S. Sections 31 & 32 261 acres
Preston, John Section 6 80 acres
Stoll, George F. Section 30 40 acres
Saffle, John Section 30 40 acres
Stewart, Henry Section __ 20 acres
Sturgess, Thaddens Section 32 101 acres
Stewart Ezra Section 5 49 acres
State of Ohio Section 16, 18, 20 97 acres
Suber, Abner Section 7 216 acres
Trager, Abraham Section 6 10 acres
Taylor, John Section 6 94
Starkweather, Elisha L. Section 19 83 acres
Whitacre, Moses Section 18 86 acres
Yambert, John H. Sections 7 & 18 251 acres

OWNERS OF PERSONAL PROPERTY.

     Elijah Burson, Jacob Baughman, David Baughman, Robert Bruce, George Belote, Andrew Cordray, Isaac Davis, Henry Davis, Edward Erlick, Isaac Edgington, James Gibson, Willialm GIbson, Isaac Gardner, Elias Hill, James P. Hastings, Paul Houck, Edward Ingram, Arnold B. Inman, John Justice, William Johnson, Alexander Lesie, John B. Mann, John Mann, Job Mattison, Job Mattison, Jr., Warick Miller, George Michael, John Preston, Alvin P. Russell, Paul Suber, Ezra Stewart, Daniel White, Jesse Wilson and George Wright.

FIRST LICKS.

     In October, 1831, the first abode of the progressive white man lifted its humble head in the territory now comprised in this township, and from about the door of this primitive cabin rang out the first glade peals of laughter from the children of civilization.  This unpretentious edifice was erected on the southwest quarter of Section 5, by Ezra Stewart.  It was constructed of round logs 12x16 feet in size, a marvel of simplicity and inelegance, but yet a home.  In 1834, the smoke ascended from the cabin chimney of Henry Stewart and John Mann.  In 1835 John Nichols and A. B. Inman had pitched their tents preparatory to the struggle for existence that was sure to follow the morning dawn of pioneer life.
     Roads in this township, were things unknown till 1837, except the trails worn by the feet of the Indians.  Over the prairie land teamsters might drive in any direction they chose, the only obstacles being, perhaps, an occasional marsh, in whose grassy confines crouched the rosy cranberry, so agonizingly delicious.  In the year above mentioned, the first regular road was constructed, beginning at the northeast quarter of Section 19, and extending north on the section line.  Others followed as necessity required, many of the individual land owners cutting their own way through the timbered regions.  Indeed the greater part of the original thoroughfares of the township were made in this way, or by the united labors of settlers mutually interested.  Bridges across the larger streams were difficult to construct, and fording was necessitated, this, during the rainy seasons, often being a dangerous, if not an impossible feat.  At the organization of the county, the sectional lines of travel were, of course, regularly and generally established.  In 1852, the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad was constructed, passing at a southern angle through the southern tier of sections, and in 1876 the Columbus, Hocking Valley & Toledo line was put in operation, running diagonally across the northeast quarter of the township, passing through Sections 2, 11, 13 and 24 respectively, also cutting the southwest corner of Section 12, near the County Infirmary.
     The early settlers of Salem usually went to Bucyrus, Fort Ball, now Tiffin, or Sandusky City for their supplies, especially to obtain flour and the heavier lines of sumptuary goods.  The latter town was the principal milling point for many years.  "Home manufactures" were found to be a necessity and as early as 1836, John Mann, while engaged in hay-making, found a bowlder, from which he constructed a run of buhrs, and set up a mill in one end of his cabin, the mill being run by hand, Mrs. Mann often performing the labor of turning the stone.  Mr. Mann afterward built a horse-power mill, using first two horses, but subsequently increasing the number to eight, making the capacity of the mill about seventy-five bushes per day.*  He was engaged in the milling business near twenty years, doing work for the settlers of a large scope of country, extending his patronage into the adjoining counties.  He also constructed a saw mill, run by water-power, and dug a ditch one and one-half miles in length to obtain water necessary to its operation, the supply being drawn from Potato Creek Swamp.  Many of the original frame buildings of upper Sandusky were constructed from lumber cut at this mill, to which Mr. Mann added a stream lathe about 1854.  As a mechanic he could do almost any kind of work required by the times.  He was the miller, the blacksmith, the carpenter, the gunsmith and the shoemaker for the whole neighborhood.  He died in 1857, from injuries received by falling, between the cars in attempting to board a train at Upper Sandusky.  The only mill now in operation in the township is a saw mill on Section 28, owned and operated by George Barkley.
    
Even in the rude environment peculiar to frontier life and pioneer days we find persons of both sexes who were not proof against the influence of the "tender sentiment."  In June, 1845, George Right and Catharine Michaels  were united in the holy bonds, by J. Mattson, Justice of the Peace, at the residence of George Michaels.  This, we believe, is the first wedding recorded from Salem Township, though in the forty years that have since intervened many are the vows that have been plighted in this locality, in the hope of finding the royal road to happiness.  In May, 1835, Ezra Stewart first saw the light of this world.  He was a son of Henry and Charlotte Stewart, and is said to be the first white child born in the township. Mary Jones, who died October 7, 1839, was the first who here closed her earthly career.  She was laid to rest in the Inman Graveyard, on the southwest quarter of Section 7.  The first election of the township was held at the Nichols Schoolhouse, April 7, 1845, and the result of this and the succeeding elections up to 1883 are shown in the following:**
 
Trustees:  
1845 James P. Hastings, Robert Bruce, William Gibson
1846 Robert Bruce, James P. Hastings, Isaac Gardner
1847 Elias Hill, Lewis S. Hixen, Isaac Gardner
1848 Ezekiel Bogard, Timothy Moody, Alvin J. Russell
1849 Ezekiel Bogard, Alvin J. Russell, Timothy Moody
1850 Thomas Wolverton, James P. Hastings, Milton Morral
1851 James P. Hastings, Thoams Wolverton, Milton Morral
1852 James Headington, Timothy Moody, George Roads
1853 Timothy Moody, James Headington, George Roads
1854 Timothy Moody, James Headington, George Roads
1855 A. J. Failor, Milton Morral, Hiram Caldwell
1856 Milton Morral, Hiram Caldwell, John L. Ogg
1857 John L. Ogg, John Caldwell, Henry Gottfreid
1858 Henry Gottfreid, John Caldwell, James Headington
1859 George Michaels, Milton Morral, Ebenezer Baughman
1860 Ebenezer Baughman, Henry Gottfreid, Jacob Smith
1861 George H. Davidson, Samuel Kauble, Henry Gottfreid
1862 Samuel Kauble, Frederick Nagel, George H. Davidson
1863 Ezekiel Bogard, Jacob Moser, Frederick Nagel
1864 Ezekiel Bogard, Jacob Moser, Henry Gottfreid
1865 John Long, Frederick Nagel, Sheridan Cox
1866 John Lang, Frederick Nagel, Sheridan Cox
1867 George H. Davidson, Benjamin F. Draper, Henry G. Murphy
1868 John Long, Joseph Brown, Henry G. Murphy
1869 Henry Gottfreid, Joseph Brown, John Long
1870 Henry G. Murphy, Henry Gottfreid, Leonard Weaver
1871 Leonard Weaver, Henry G. Murphy, Benjamin H. Draper
1872 Henry Gottfreid, Benjamin H. Draper, Daniel W. Nichols
1873 Henry Gottfreid, Daniel W. Nichols, Henry Eberle
1874 Leonard Weaver, Henry Eberle, George Michaels
1875 Leonard Weaver, Peter Pfeifer, Fred Altvater
1876 Peter Pfeifer, Fred Altvater, William Davidson
1877 Henry G. Murphy, John Binau, Joseph Reisterer
1878 Henry G. Murphy, John Binau, Joseph Reisterer
1879 William Nagel, Nicholas Hoerr, Sebastian Brooks
1880 William Nagel, Sebastian Brooks, Nicholas Hoerr
1881 Fred Altvater, John Binau, John Long
1882 John Binau, Fred Altvater, John L. Ogg
1883 John L. Ogg, John Binau, Henry Eberle
Clerks:  
1845 Alvin J. Russel;
1846 Paul F. Suber
1847-54 Clark Glenn
1855 William Marlow
1856 Moses O. Kear
1857-58 Jacob O. Kear
1859 Moses O. Kear
1860-61 Hughey D. Michaels
1862 Moses O. Kear
1863 H. D. Michaels
1864-65 John Caldwell
1866-67 William Nagel
1868-69 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1870-72 William Nagel
1873-74 Hughey D. Michaels
1875-77 George A. Draper
1878-79 George W. Bogard
1880 Samuel W. Ewing
1881 George W. Bogard
1882-83 Emil Schlup (resigned)
  George W. Bogard, appointed
Treasurers:  
1845-48 Jesse Wilson
1849-55 Exekiel Bogard
1856 Milton Kear
1857-58 William Marlow
1859-60 Jacob Gottier
1861-63 William Hopkins
1864-65 Jacob Gottier
1866 Ezekiel Bogard & Edward McLauaghlin
1867-69 Edward McLaughlin
1870-72 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1873 Leonard Weaver
1874-75 Daniel W. Nichols
1876-77 William Nagel
1878079 D. W. Nichols
1880-81 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
-1882-83 William Nagel
Justices of the Peace:
1845 James P. Hastings Job Mattson, Jr.
1847 James P. Hastings,, Job Mattson
1850 Christopher Baker, Job Mattson
1862 Thomas Wolverton
1853 William Marlow
1855 David C. Murry
1856 William Marlow
1858 David C. Murry
1859 Edward McLaughlin
1861 Edward Ewing
1862 Edward McLaughlin
1864 Moses O. Kear
1865 Jacob Moser
1867 Moses O. Kear
1868 Jacob Moser
1870 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1872 Hughey D. Michaels
1873 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1875 Hughey D. Michaels
1876 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1878 D. W. Nichols
1879 Peter Trachsel, Jr.
1881 Daniel W. Nichols
1883 Peter Trachsel

SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.

     No schoolhouses were erected in this township prior to 1838.  In that year the first edifice of the kind was founded on the northeast corner of Section 19.  Here the work of intellectual improvement began, and from this point it has radiated to the "uttermost parts" of the township, which is now supplied with nine of these temples of knowledge.  They are situated on sections as follows:  District No. 1, Section 12; No. 2, Section 3; No. 3, Section 5; No. 4, Section 17; No. 5, Section 15; No. 6, Section 23; No. 7, Section 36; No. 8, Section 33; No. 9, Section 32.  The primitive log house at length gave way to the neat and comfortable frame structure, and many of these are succeeded by substantial and commodious brick buildings, all well furnished with comfortable seats and the other necessary means of instruction.  Among the pioneers of the art of teaching we find the name of Israel Hulse, who wielded the rod in 1842; James Ward, in 1844, and Jacob Strickler in 1845. 
     The strong devotional sentiment of the settlers of Salem Township first found expression in the erection of a church by the "Bible Christians" on the northwest quarter of Section 17, in the year 1849.  Three others are now established in the township - the St. Peter's Catholic Church, the Methodist Episcopal, the Church of God, and the German Evangelical Protestant Church.  The latter society held its first meetings at the residence of Nicholas Baumgartner, under the administration of Rev. Heckeleiber, in  the spring of 1848.  The society was organized at the same residence in 1850, Rev. Dollmatsch officiatingThe original members were Nicholas Baumgartner and family, Mr. Pfieffer and family, Peter Binau and family, George Binau and family, Philip Karg and family, George Stephan and family, Andrew Gottfried and family, Henry Ulrick and family, Jacob Ulrick and family, John Ulrick and family, Charles Steiner and family, John Horn and family, Mr. Klindinst and family.  George Mall and family, Stephen Shlup and Henry Epley.  The first officers were Peter Binau and Andrew Gottfried, who served as Elders, and Philip Karg and George Stephan, who served as Deacons.
     In 1850, the society purchased three-fourths of an acre as a site and cemetery in Section 15, and, in 1855, by volunteer work principally, a log church, 24x32 feet, was erected at a cost of $200.  The present substantial brick church building which occupies the site of the old log structure was erected in 1872.  It is 32x46 feet in dimensions, comfortably furnished, and cost $2,500.  In 1874, a fine bell weighing 550 pounds was added at a cost of $300.  In 1882, the cemetery was drained by tile, costing $200, and, in 1883, the church was supplied with a splendid organ, which was purchased for $100.  The pastors in the order of which they served are as follows:  Revs. Heckeleiber, a missionary, Dollmatsch, August Winder, John Betcler, Christian Wolf, A Hotdorf, A. Allert, George Schladermund, Valentine Klein, Charles Werule, A. Kanetcke, A. Duhill and John G. Ruh.  The membership now comprises about thirty-five and their families, are making in the aggregate near 200.  The present officers of the society are George Binau and John Bery, Elders; John Binau and John M. Ulrick, Deacons; Konrad Bery, Clerk; John Landenshlager, Treasurer; Jacob Pfieffer , Julius Cahn and Michael Shwabel, Trustees.  The church sustains a Sunday school during the summer seasons, having an average attendance of fifty.

LOVELL.

     The town of Lovell, situated in Section 2, on the C., H. V. & T. Railroad, was laid out by Lovell B. Harris, from whom it was named two years after that road was constructed.  The post office was established at the same time.  The village has one store, one church, one blacksmith shop, a shoe shop and a flouring mill.  The latter was built in 1877 by Daniel and William A. Walborn, at a cost of $6,500.  The building is a two story frame structure, 26x40 feet.  The mill was put in operation by the Walborn firm, which has since conducted it.  It has two runs of buhrs, with a capacity of four workmen.
     The Methodist Episcopal Church at Lovell was erected in 1877.  The building is 30x40 feet in size and cost about $2,000  The society was formerly a part of the church at Crawford Post Office.

---------------------------
* The mill was located on Section 29.
** At the first election of the township, Alvin J. Russell was elected Clerk and Assessor; John Mann and John Preston were elected Constables; Andrew Cordrey, A. B. Inman and B=Robert Bruce Supervisors.  The Judges of Election were Elias Hill, Ezra Stewart and Robert Bruce; Clerk, A. J. Russell and A. P. Gardner.  Politics - Whigs and Democrats.
Appointment in place of Samuel W. Ewing, resigned.
The first case at law tried in Salem Township was that of John Rummel vs. William Johnson, the hearing taking place before James P. Hastings, April 12, 1843.

< BIOGRAPHIES OF SALEM TOWNSHIP >

 

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
WYANDOT COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights