A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,




     TYMOCHTEE TOWNSHIP dates its organization from 1825, and was formerly, along with Sycamore, a portion of Crawford Township. It commenced to fill up at an early day with enterprising settlers, principally from the southern part of the State. Tymochtee comprises Township 1 south, Range 14 east, and received its name from Tymochtee Creek, which in the Wyandot language denotes "the creek or river round the plains." It lies in the northeastern portion of Wyandot County, and is bounded on the north by Seneca County, on the east by Sycamore Township, on the south by Crane Township, and on the west by Crawford Township. It comprises thirty-six sections, being a square of six miles, or full Congressional township.


     On page 263 and following pages will be found a full account of the Indian reservation in this county, together with the exact wording of the treaty. From this it will be seen (page 267) that to Horonu, or the 'Cherokee Boy,' a Wyandot chief, was granted a section of land, to contain 640 acres, on the Sandusky River, to be laid off in a square form, and to include his improvements.  This chief's section was situated on both sides of the Sandusky, about the center of the county, old Tymochtee being on the center of its western limits. Cherokee Boy lived to the good old age of one hundred and ten years, and was gathered to his fathers in the happy hunting-grounds in 1834. When the Wyandots were allotted their reservation in 1817, besides Cherokee Boy, the Whittaker boys, James and John, and other half-breeds, were allotted large tracts in their own right in this township. Robert Cherokee, a son of Horonu, went west with the Wyandots. The Wyandot reservation line on its northern boundary included the most of the southern tier of sections of this township, but about half way across the township it took a sudden detour to the north, so as to include as far north as the Cherokee Boy section, when it turned south again.


     Tymochtee is one of the choicest townships in the county, and is admirably adapted for the labors of the agriculturist and stock-raiser. It is truly a land of plenty, fertile in soil, well watered, with good roads and in near proximity to railways a few miles in every direction. The Sandusky River meanders gently across this township in a generally northern course, when, after traversing nearly the whole township, it turns sharply to the east and waters all the north end of the township. In addition to this river which, like the old Nile in Egypt, is the chief factor in fertilizing the land, there comes from the west across Sections 18 and 17, the historic Tvmochtee Creek debouching into the Sandusky about the center of the east side of the latter section. Taylor Run drains all the eastern side of the township with its long and numerous branches. Sycamore Creek crosses the northeast corner of Tychmotee from the township of Sycamore, entering the Sandusky near Mexico. Beside this, numerous rivulets babble through the township in every direction, making it a land of streams.
     Good substantial roads traverse the township in every direction, one of the chief of these is on the west side of the Sandusky, crossing the northern county boundary at McCutchenville; there it meets with a road from the southeast, crossing Belle Vernon. Another leading road enters Section 34 from the south, and passing north for about a mile and a half, it meets a road from the west crossing the Sandusky, when they turn abruptly to the northeast, crossing the township toward Mexico. The only railroad in the township, is the Ohio Central, which crosses the northeast corner, coming out near McCutchenville.


     The first white settler was Henry Lish, who with his wife and three children settled on the southwest, quarter of Section 17, about 1816-17, erecting the first dwelling, a log cabin, 18x20 feet. Other early settlers were Cyprion Stevens, Joseph ChafFee, Robert Gibson, Elisha Brayton, William Hodge, Linus Cutting, James Whitehead, Dr. Dunn, Joseph Stiggerwalt and Thomas Leeper. The last named came in 1821 from Ross County, Ohio, about the same time that Samuel Harper located in Sycamore. Soon after came Peter Baum, William Combs, Levi Bunn, John Taylor and George Bogart, who settled in what is now Belle Vernon, John Morris, Alfred McCauley, and his brother Jehosaphat, Peter Hummon, Jonathan, Peter and Moses Kear, the latter a gunsmith. Henry Lish established in the earliest days of settlement a government ferry across the Tymochtee. Michael Brackley, who sat in both branches of the Legislature, was also a very early settler. Ira Aikens and Joseph Chaffee opened the first taverns. Robert Gibson came with his parents to this township in 1821, being then but two years of age. He was a native of Ross County, Ohio; his parents settled one and one-half miles west of Tymochtee Village. At that time very few whites were in the township, while Indians were numerous. Mr. Gibson grew up with the reputation of a Nimrod, and on one occasion he killed four deer, besides wild cats and turkeys. When twenty-three years of age he began herding cattle among the Indians. In 1844, he married Margaretta, daughter of John Beam, who settled near McCutchenville in 1829, and was the first white miller at the Indian Mill near Upper Sandusky.
     John S. Wagner, a very early settler, was a native of Pickaway County, and settled near Mexico. Abraham Corfman was born in this township in 1830, and was son of Joseph and Susanna Corfman, of Pennsylvania. The father died November, 1855: his widow resides at Belle Vernon. Christopher Hufford came here in 1825, and is still living here, aged eighty-one; Irvin Walton, born in Ross County in 1828, was brought the same year to this township by his parents, Mathew and Catharine Walton, and still resides here. Daniel Walker, formerly a tailor, came here in 1833, and brought with him his son, Edward, who was born in Lancaster, May 24, 1833, and who is still a resident of Tymochtee. William Walton was here before 1838; his son Benjamin, born in December 4, 1838, in this township, still resides here; Nelson Wood, born in Tymochtee, May 25, 1832, son of Francis Wood, an early settler, is also still a resident here; John Sigler, born in Virginia in 1779, and who served in Gen. Harrison's campaign against the Indians, settled here in 1826, dying in 1862; he entered land on which his son, Jacob, born January 22, 1818, still lives; David Ellis came in 1827, and to show the hardships of those days, it is said, had no stove in his house for years; Jonathan Kear, native of New York, moved from Delaware County in 1821, took up land here, and still has several sons residing here.
     Jacob Wagner came from Ross County, entering 320 acres in 1827. William Parker settled in 1834, Robert Roberts in 1833, Henry Niebel in 1834, Levi Ekleberry prior to 1835, and Adam Milum before 1837. Elias Ellis, son of David Ellis, above mentioned, born in 1827, still resides on land entered by his father in that year. George W. Sherwood, of Seneca County, N. Y., came here with his family in 1836, dying in 1866, his wife, Julia, in 1857. Lemar Walton came here from Ross County in 1826, and was originally from New York; Gerhart Schuetz came prior to 1835; Peter Baum, before 1836; Jacob L. Williams, native of New Jersey, came to this township from Warren County, Ohio, in 1835; Adam Wininger, a native of Germany, emigrated in 1804, and finally settled in this township in 1826, entering and purchasing 1,000 acres of land, and dying at the age of seventy-five.
     Among the first blacksmiths was John Freet. The first to erect a saw and grist mill was Elisha Brayton, which was the property of A. Arnold. The first schoolhouse was on the land of John Berry, and the first teacher was John A. Morrison. The first white child born in the township was a son of Henry Lish, in 1820, named Ralph. The first store was opened by James Whittaker, at Tymochtee. Among other early settlers we might name Col. Joseph McCutchen, who, in 1829, had the village of McCutchenville laid out by Dr. G. W. Sampson, in which year he erected the first dwelling in that village, Dr. Sampson putting up the second in the following year. Aaron Welsh opened the first store. Still other early names are Ralph Duddleson and his sons, James, William and Christian, Daniel White and James Wright, who had a romantic history, having been captured by the Indians, for whom he worked as a silversmith. Some of his descendants are living in Richland Township. The settlers coming in about 1830 were Asa Dunn, Asa, William and Peter Brayton, David Ellis, Gerhart Sheets, Joseph, Henry and Charles Parker, Michael and William Noel, and Samuel Kenan, who kept hotel in Tymochtee Village from 1830 to 1851.
     From 1830 to 1845, settlers came in rapidly. In 1845, the year the township was organized as a part of Wyandot County, the following persons were assessed for real and personal estate:


Arnold, Anthony, Section 18, 160 acres, also owned a grist mill.
Anderson, John, Sections 10 and 24, 160 acres.
Arnold, William, Sections 4 and 5, 104 acres.
Briggs, Joseph, Section 1, 83 acres.
Baum, Jacob, Section 1, 93 acres.
Baum, Michael, Section 14, 80 acres.
Baum, Jacob, Section 11, 80 acres
Bibler, Jacob, Sections 10 and 11, 240 acres.
Bibler, Christian, Section 12, 80 acres.
Berry, Nicholas, Section 14, 40 acres.
Bevins, Thomas C., Section 10, 45 acres.
Berry, John, Section 19, 83 acres.
Banning, Anthony, Section 30, 80 acres.
Bland, William, Sections 25 and 26, 190 acres.
Blackburn, William, Section 35, 96 acres.
Bope, John, Sections 26 and 35, 208 acres.
Bentley, Francis, Section 26, 40 acres.
Bair, Daniel's heirs, Section 12, 80 acres.
Coughenour, Abraham, Section 7, 40 acres.
Campbell, Alexander, Section— 56 acres.
Copes, J. and P., Section 12, 80 acres.
Crouse, Jacob, Section 20,—
Corfman, Jacob, Sections 10 and 14, 210 acres.
Carpenter, Daniel, Section 24, 80 acres.
Corfman, Barbara, Section 15, 80 acres.
Conaghan, Dennis H., Section 19, 160 acres.
Conaghan, Charles C., Section 19, 82 acres.
Custis, Jacob, Sections 25 and 36, 104 acres.
Cutting, Elijah, Section 26, 55 acres.
Corfman, Joseph, Section 22, 80 acres.
Corfman, Magdalena, Section 22, 80 acres.
Drum, Jacob, Section 5, 160 acres.
Dunn, Doctor, Sections 6, 7, 8, 29, 30, 31, 1,051 acres.
Dunn, Asa, Section 30, 33 acres.
De Bolt, Silas, Sections 1 and 12, 100 acres, also owned a tannery.
Dunn, Thomas, Section 7, 40 acres.
Dukeman, Stephen, Section 5, 80 acres.
Dresbach, William, Section 13, 120 acres.
Eish, Nicholas, Sections 6 and 7, 122 acres.
Ekleberry, Ezekiel, Sections 23 and 24, 190 acres.
Ellis, David, Sections 26 and 27, 160 acres.
Frederick, Charles, Sections 4, 8, 9, 148 acres.
Fisher, William, Section 37, 2 acres, also owned a saw mill.
Fishel, Jacob, Sections 1, 2, 7, 140 acres.
Frederick, Joseph, Sections 27, and 28, 209 acres.
Gibson, Robert, Sections 19 and 30, 240 acres.
Gibson, Daniel, Section 32, 38 acres.
Ganett, Lewis, Sections 28 and 34, 139 acres.
Hetshugh, , Section 3, 73 acres.
Hammond, Peter, Section 11, 160 acres.
Hufford, Joseph, Section 22, 80 acres.
Howard, Joseph, Section 7, 80 acres.
High, Jeranamas, Sections 7 and 8, 127 acres.
Hufford, Michael, Section 22, 91 acres.
Hershberger, Mary, Section 2, 80 acres.
Hufford, Christopher, Section 23, 150 acres.
Hulse, Silas' heirs, Section 31, 56 acres.
Harper, William, Section 1, 62 acres.
Hart, Daniel, Section 17, 80 acres.
Ingraham, Peter, Section 12, 40 acres.
Jacoby, Elijah, Section 6, 160 acres.
Johnson, Jacob, Section 4, 80 acres.
Jackson, Catharine, Section 7, 40 acres.
Koon, Adam, Section 25, 32 acres.
Kear, Moses, Sections 18 and 19, 149 acres.
Kear, Henry, Section 18, 56 acres.
Kear, Jonathan, Sections 18 and 19, 189 acres.
Kenan, Peter, Section 19, 8 acres.
Kentfield, Smith, Section 30, 52 acres.
Lee, Joel, Section 33, 31 acres.
Leighton, Samuel, Section 33, 22 acres.
Leeper Thomas, Section 1, 202 acres, also owned a saw and grist mill.
Lightner, Samuel, Section 10, 32 acres, also owned a saw mill.
Lupton, John B., Sections 3 and 13, 160 acres.
Lundy, John, Section 24, 160 acres.
Lundy, Aaron, Section 25, 160 acres.
Lowmaster, John, Section 22, 70 acres.
Ludwig, Daniel, Section 27, 5 acres.
Lowmaster, Reuben, Section 26, 40 acres.
Lowmaster, Alexander, Section 26, 40 acres.
Ludwig, Jeremiah, Sections 9, 17, 21, 28 and 31,157 acres, also owned a saw mill.
Lush, Elizabeth, Section 17, 80 acres.
Long, Jacob, Section 20, 58 acres.
Ley, Sebastian, Section 5, 9 acres.
Ley, F. J. and F. J., Jr., Section 14, 7 acres.
McCutchen, Joseph, Sections 5 and 14, 215 acres.
McConley, Alfred, Section 14, 80 acres.
Morgan, Jesse, Section 12, 80 acres.
Mulholland, Hugh, Section 17, 40 acres.
Mackey, John, Section 5, 120 acres.
Milum, Adam, Sections 21 and 34, 87 acres.
Morris, John D., Sections 35 and 36, 58 acres.
Milan, Tobias, Section 9, 73 acres.
Morris, Joseph, Section 36, 71 acres.
McLeas, Jane, Section 30, 80 acres.
Myers, John, Section 4, 1 acre.
Nixon, Elizabeth, Section 2, 160 acres.
Nettleton, Henry, Section 4, 58 acres.
Niebel, Henry, Section 3, 80 acres.
Noel, Michael, Sections 7, 8 and 17, 150 acres.
Niebel, Enos, Section 26, 100 acres.
Noble, Nathan, Section 15, 240 acres.
Nits, John F., Section 24, 80 acres.
Neffers, William F., Section 10, 80 acres.
Ogg, Susannah, Section 18, 80 acres.
Ogg, William A., Section 7, 40 acres.
Porter, William's heirs, Section 4, 40 acres.
Parker, William, Sections 15 and 22, 80 acres.
Pontius. Andrew, Section 13,160 acres.
Prim, Samuel, Section 6, 40 acres.
Russell, Alpheus, Section 2, 80 acres.
Roberts, Robert, Sections 15 and 7,105 acres.
Reigle, George, Section 9, 50 acres.
Robinsony James' heirs, Section 11, 80 acres.
Roberts, J. A., Sections 17 and 27, 52 acres.
Staggerwalt, Jacob, Section 19, 60 acres.
Staggerwalt, Joseph, Sections 4 and 9, 61 acres.
Saffell, John, Section 3, 80 acres.
Switzer, Jonas, Section 3, 80 acres.
Sigler, John, Section 4, 75 acres.
Saffell, John, Section 3, 103 acres.
Smith, William, Sections 17 and 20, 160 acres.
Shaffer, Gotlieb, Section 4, 80 acres.
Saffell, James, Section 10, 203 acres.
Snock, John, Section 7, 82 acres.
Squires, Jabez K., Section 15, 80 acres.
Stokely, Robert, Sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, 400 acres.
St. John, Henry, Section 20, 166 acres.
Shellhouse, George, Section 22, 80 acres.
Stalter, Abraham, Section 14, 40 acres.
Scott, Peter H., Section 11, 80 acres.
Scott, Peter W., Section 11, 80 acres.
Scheuerman, Conrad, Section 7, 80 acres.
Stevens, Moses, Sections 18 and 19, 200 acres.
Stalter, Abraham, Section 14, 40 acres.
Stoker, John, Section 27, 34 acres.
Stover, Ashford, Sections 23 and 26, 70 acres.
Snover, Thomas, Section 36, 84 acres.
Smith, Martin, Section 5, 80 acres.
Sweet, Berry L. (heirs), Section 27, 80 acres.
Schuetz, Gerhart, Section 3, 75 acres.
State of Ohio, Sections 17, 14, 22, 20, and 27, 375 acres.
Terry, Joseph T., Section 8, 8 acres.
Taylor, James, Section 26, 80 acres.
Taylor, John, Section 20, ˝ acre.
Turilinger, David, Section 27, 80 acres.
Truitt, Isaac P., Section 9, 80 acres.
Utto, Henry, Section 6, 40 acres.
Ufford, J., Sections 6, 8 and 9, 213 acres.
Van Doren, George, Section 20, J acre.
Van Gundy, Joseph, Section 25, 80 acres.
Vocht, Martin, 65 acres.
Wood, Francis, Section 23, 80 acres.
Welch, Aaron, Section 6, 160 acres.
Winninger, Adam, Sections 2, 3, 11 and 12, 498 acres.
Walton, Lemar, Section 14, 124 acres.
Walton, William, Section 14, 66 acres.
Walton, John's heirs, Section 23, 170 acres.
Walton William, Jr., Section 34, 47 acres.
Walton, Matthew, Section 27, 160 acres.
Wilson, Jacob L., Section 24, 80 acres.
Weiser, Fredrick, Section 25, 160 acres.


Owners of lots: Jacob Albert, Magdalena Barton, Michael Brockley; James Chamberlin, Hugh Cleland, Hampton Crandall, Alexander Campbell, Conrad, Charles H. Dewitt, John C. Dewitt, Elizabeth Dewitt, Isaac H. Deerborough, George Eyler, J. J. Flack, Samuel C. Freet, Henry J. Flick, Hiram Flick, Benjamin Harmon, Charles Hallock, Nancy Harris' heirs, Sebastian Ley, John H. Long, Jacob Long, Francis J. Ley, Jeremiah Ludwig, Lyman Hunger, Merriman, Hannah McCutchen, Joseph McCatchen, Henry Plott, Perry & Patrick, Samuel Both, Anna H. Roberts, John Reed, George W. Sampson, Martin Smith, John L. Shaffer, William Stokely, State of Ohio, Peter A. Tyler, Thomas and Adam "Welch, Adam Winninger, Nathan W. Wright, Aaron Welch, John H. Yambert and Peter Zobinskie. Seven houses were then mentioned as standing in the town, which were owned or occupied by Michael Brockley, James M. Chamberlin, Joseph McCutchen, George W. Sampson, Martin Smith, John L. Shaffer and Adam Welch.


Names of owners of lots: J. L. Bartoon, "William Bland, Ezekiel Ekleberry and Joseph McCutchen.


Owners of lots: John Clinger, Ezekiel Ekleberry, Jesse Morgan, State of Ohio and Daniel Turflinger.


Owners of lots: Sebastian Ley, J. B. Ludwig, Henry Earl, "William H. Jones, J. A. Roberts, Henry St John, State of Ohio, "William Smith.


Owners of lots: Allen and Frederick Bloom, Thomas Badger, David Bird, Silas De Bolt, S. Fairchild, Jacob Fishel, Solomon Finch, James L. Harper, Anthony Hemrich, Rosanna Kragen, John Klem, Joseph Leeper, James McNabb, Nicholas McCullough, John Miller, Philip J. Price, James Robinson, Samuel P. Shaw, C. W. Shaw, Jonathan Slaymaker, State of Ohio, James Taylor, Martin Welch and Elmore Yokum.


Owners of lots : Charles L. Boalt, George T. Frees, Daniel McCahan, William Smith, State of Ohio, Joseph T. Terry.


John Anderson, Ira Ashby, Jacob Albent, William Arnold, Anthony Arnold, Anthony Arnold, Jr., George Baston, Jacob Bare, Sarah Bare, Michael Baum, David Babcock, Christopher Bibler, Michael Badger, Giles Barber, Nicholas Berry, Dr. Alvin Bingham (a practicing physician), Joseph Biggs, Frederick Bloom (a merchant), Jacob Baum, Michael Brockley, John Berry, Peter O. Brown, John Beam, Thomas Berry, William Blackburn, Solomon Blazier, William Bland, John Bope, George Bogart, Jonathan Berry, Michael Blue, Francis Bentley, Coleman C. Bivens, John Bentley, John Barnhart, Jacob Bibler, Jacob Bibler, Jr., Peter B. Beidler, James Chamberlin (a merchant), Samuel Cowper, Jacob Corfman, Henry Clerk, Charles Conaghan, Dennis Canaghan, Francis Canaghan, Mary Chaffee, David Curtis, Jacob Curtis, Perry Chaffee, Elijah Cutting, Harley P. Cutting, George Compton, Jacob Crouse (a merchant), Frederick Cogle. Conrad Corfman, Joseph Corfman, John Clinger, Hampton L. Crandall, Abraham Cohenhous, Samuel Campbell, James H. Carr, Alexander Campbell (a merchant), Silas De Bolt (a merchant), Philip Daum, Doctor Dunn, Isaac H. Deerborough, Andrew Dumm, George Dukeman, John C. Dewitt, Jacob Drum, Stephen Dukeman, George Eyler, Daniel Empy, Ezekiel Ekleberry, George W. Edwards, David Ellis, George Eckman, Jared Eaton, Alanson S. Finch, Solomon Finch, Jacob Fishel, John Freet, Henry Freet (a merchant), Jackson Fleck, Dr. John Free (a merchant and physician), Samuel D. Freet, Heaton Freet, Henry D. Freek, Joseph Fredrick, Lewis Grubb, Zebulon Groff, Robert Guire, Dyak Gardner, Robert Gibson, Benjamin Gibson, Joseph Gibson, David Gibson, William Harper, Samuel Harriger, Mary Hershberger, Conrad Hitchhugh, David Hitchhugh, Hoffman & Perry (merchants), Daniel Hoffman, Henry H. Houpt, G. High, Thomas High, George Harmon, William Hawk, Christopher Hufford, Michael Hufford, Andrew Heinrich, Edward C. Ingman, Alexander Ingman (a merchant), Peter Ingman, Nicholas Ish, William H. Jones (a merchant with stock of $2,000), Samuel Johnson, William Johnson, Elijah Jacoby, Thompson Johnson, Jacob Johnson, Jonathan Kear, Moses Kear, Henry Kear, Abel J. Kinney, Frederick Klice, Samuel Kenan, Joel Lee, Catharine Leeper, James Leeper, John H Long, Sebastian Ley, Francis J. Ley, Jeremiah Ludwig, Daniel Ludwig, John Longabaugh, Samuel Longabaugh, Widow Leash, Hiram Lear, Isaac Lundy, John Lund, Reuben Lowmaster, Alfred Lowmaster, John Lowmaster, Dr. Ziba A. Letson (a physician in practice), Isaac Lott, Samuel Lane, C. F. Lautenslager, Joseph Miller, George W. Myers, George Miller, Alfred McCauley, Jesse Morgan, Nicholas McCullough, Thomas McNutt, Thomas Mazee, Lyman Munger, Richard Menholland, Joseph McCutchen, Hugh Menholland, William Martin, Joseph Morris, John Morris, Mary Milan, John McKee, Obed Niebel, Obed Niebel, Jr., Marcena Niffis, Michael Noel, Henry Noise, Jacob Neise, John F. Nitts, John Nitts, William Niffis, William A. Ogg, Susanna Ogg, John L. Ogg, Andrew Pontius, Roswell Perry, Samuel Prine, Christopher Y. Pierson, John Pier, Henry Parker, William Parker, Charles Parker, Jane Robinson, David Robinson, Alpheus Russell, Samuel Rhodes, Samuel Rinebolt, Dr. Erastus Ranger (a practicing physician), George Reagle, Samuel Rife, Solomon Richardson, Eli Regie, Philip Regie, Daniel Smith (a merchant), Abraham Smith, Philip Smith, Peter W. Scott, Henry Spotts, Robert Stokely, Elizabeth Snover, Ashford Stover, George Shellhouse, George Shellhouse, Jr., James Saffield, Jacob Staggerwalt, Jasopt Staggerwalt, Jasopt Stagger-wait, Jr., Jacob Stover, John Squires, B. Stokely, Gerhart Sheets, John Saffield, Augustus Saffield, Jacob Sighe, Conrad Sherman, John L. Shaffer, Levi Smith, Thomas Shaw, Dr. George W. Sampson (a practicing physician), Jacob Shelby, John Smook, Samuel Smook, Michael Shaffer, Abraham Shafer, George W. Sherwood, John Sigler, Gotleib Shafer, Moses Stevens, Spencer St. John, Abraham Stalters, Jacob Stoker, Charles Townsend, William Taylor, John Taylor, Jr., John Taylor, Perry Taylor, Widow T. Trevit, Daniel Turflinger, Peter A. Tyler (an attorney), Samuel Van Gundy, Martin Vocht, Henry Welch, Martin Welch, Casanda Walton, Henry Walton, Margaret Walton, John Wagoner, George Winniger, Wihniger's estate, Lemar Walton, Jacob Wilson, William Walton, Mathew Walton, Francis Woods, Jacob Wagoner, John Washburn.


     This township from a very early period has been well supplied with churches, and there was no lack of religious privileges, and there are now nine churches in the township. Indeed, in McCutchenville there were at one time five church organizations where to-day there are but two—the Presbyterian and the Methodist Episcopal. "We have to thank Mr. James M. Chamberlin, now in his seventy-eighth year, and a settler in the township since 1833, for the following reminiscences on church matters. Mr. Chamberlin says there are but two individuals resident in McCutchenville who were there when he came— Dr. G. W. Sampson and Mrs. Brackly. He says the first church here was the Methodist Episcopal, who had erected a log church about one-fourth of a mile north, in Seneca County, but that they took it down and erected a church in the village, which they occupied until 1858 or 1859, when they erected their present brick building. Between 1833 and 1840, three other churches were erected. The German Reformed and Lutheran, who had each a small congregation, united in erecting a log building which, after using for several years, owing to the falling away in the congregations, was sold and torn down. The Methodist Protestant formed a small class and undertook to build, but after erecting the frame and putting on the roof were unable to complete it. About this time there was a Congregational organization formed, and by agreement with the Methodist Protestants they finished the building for the privilege of using it half the time for twenty-five years, but the Methodist Protestant body not increasing much, preaching ceased, the building was sold some twenty years ago, and it is now used for secular purposes. The Congregationalists, after maintaining their organization, with Rev. John Pettit as minister, until about 1850; disbanded, and at the organization of the Presbyterian Church in May, 1854, many of their members united with the latter church. About 1834 or 1835, there being quite a number of Catholic families in McCutchenville and vicinity, they erected a frame structure, which was used for several years, but owing to numerous removals it was seldom used. A few years ago it was consumed by fire, undoubtedly the work of an incendiary, as there had been no fire in the church for a long time previously. . It has never been rebuilt The Albright or Evangelical denomination also erected a small frame building which they occupied for some time, but as most of the members lived a few miles to the northeast they built a brick church two and one-half miles east, in Seneca County, the old building being sold and taken down.
     Ebenezer Evangelical Church.—In October. 1835, at the home of Jacob Corfman, where he still resides, occurred the first gathering of those interested in this cause. At this meeting divine worship was conducted by the Rev, Henry Downey. A year from this date occurred a camp-meeting near McCutchenville, out of which grew the present church. There were at first ten members, among whom were Joseph and Jacob Corfman, and Christopher Hufford and their respective wives. The pastor on this occasion was Rev. Absalom Shafer. Three years later, sufficient strength was gathered to erect a frame church, 30x35 feet, at a cost of $600, on Section 23, and the same edifice is still in use, although it was remodeled in 1878 at a cost of $500. The successive pastors have been: Absalom Shafer, one year; John Cup, one year; Mr. Kemmerly, one year; Robert Miller and Peter Weist, one year; John Miller, Mr. Wonders, J. French, C. M. Reinhold, George Haily, John Stull, H. Longbrake, J. Munk, A. Yambert, C. M. Reinhold, Andrew Swartz, J. G. Baughman, J. B. Crouse, H. Longbrake, A. Vandersal, C. Halderman, L. C. Morse, Storme Berry, G. Blasier, Mr. Fause, W. Wonder, S. Hoy, D. H. Rosenberg, D. Stull, H. Brenneman.
     The present membership is twenty-five, and the present officials are John Baughman, John McBeth and Elza Corfman. This church was incorporated under the State laws in April, 1878.
     On May 6, 1867. a Sunday school was instituted, which has been kept up uninterruptedly ever since. In 1845, a missionary auxiliary society was formed, which is still in existence. In 1850, a revival gathered in thirty souls, and again in 1860, under the supervision of Rev. C. M. Reinhold, over one hundred conversions took place, and since that time several interesting revivals have occurred.
     Zion United Brethren Church. —In the summer of 1846, the Rev. William Bevington organized this church with three members at a meeting held in the cabin of Hiram Anderson. The memorable trio who gave origin to what is at present a living, thriving church of seventy members, were George and Sarah Curts and Catharine Anderson. In 1849, we hear of their being ministered to by Rev. M. Tabler; in 1850, by Rev. William Mathers; in 1850, by Rev. M Lammon; in 1852-53, by Rev. Peter Flack and J. Franck. In 1884, the pastor is Rev. C. L. Bevington. The present leader is P. C. King; the Trustees are William Walton, H. Clabaugh, A. Bare, L. Wood and P. C. King, As to revivals, we may say that this is a revival church, almost every year since its organization witnessing manifestations of the power of the Gospel. The church edifice is a frame structure, erected in 1854 on Section 23.
     First Presbyterian Church of McCutchenville.—In May, 1854, the Rev. Charles Thayer, Rev. L. Pelan and Elder Mathew Rogers interested themselves in the organization of this church, and it commenced with a membership of thirty-three, among whom were J. M Chamberlin, S. Hill, J. C. McGoffin, Jacob Johnson, J. Mangus, P. Lett, W. Kerr, John Kerr, Mathew Laird, and the wives of all the foregoing, together with Rachel E. Miles, Elizabeth Fishel, J. H. Brinkerhoff and others. The society used the Methodist Protestant house of worship until 1860, when they erected a brick structure, 34x52 feet, at a cost of $2,500. Although there never was a regularly installed pastor, the following have acted as supplies: Revs. S. Pelan, John McLain, S. Cook, William Reed, R. B. Moore and R. C. Colmery, their terms of service varying from six months to six years. The present membership is forty-two. This church has never had a special revival, but had a steady increase of membership until 1863, when it reached eighty, but although many new members have been added since then, such has been the loss by deaths and removals that it has fallen to its present membership. During the most of the time there has been a Sabbath school, which is still in a prosperous condition.
Methodist Episcopal Church of McCutchenville.—The present church edifice is a brick structure, 32x52, erected in 1858 at a cost of $2,500 in the village of McCutchenville. The pastors since 1858 with the number of years they respectively served are as follows: Lewin J. Dales, one year; Richard M. Biggs, two years; Joseph Good, one year; Gershom Lease, one year; Jacob M. Hernes, two years; George W. Miller, two years; Samuel M. Boggs, two' years; Richard M. Culver, three years; John W. Hill, two years; Isaac N. Calb, three years; Philip A. Drown, two years; John Houghtby, two years; Benjamin F. Rowand. one year; Matthias C. Howey is the present pastor. The present Trustees are M. C. Johnson, Truman Brashares, John Row, William Huffman and Allen Pontius.  Notwithstanding our most strenuous efforts, we have been unable to obtain any clear account of the early organization of this church, which has a present membership of fifty, but we are enabled to present a list of the first members. These were Caleb and Thomas Brundage, Mr. Nestle, John Tingle, John Nafus, Daniel Whetzel, Mr. Ellis, Mr. Pratt, Mr. Drake, Samuel Sailor, Hugh Mulholland, Mr. Van Ness, Jacob Sigler and their respective wives; also Mrs. Dedwit, Mrs. Sampson and Mrs. Porter. The first meetings were held in a hewed-log house over the county line in Seneca Township. A flourishing Sunday school is in existence in connection with the church. The principal seasons of revival have occurred as follows: In 1870, under the pastorate of Rev. Samuel M. Boggs, about seventy were converted; in 1881, under Rev. John Houghtby, sixty souls were added to the church; and last winter the Rev. C. Howey held a revival at which twenty were converted. There have been of course other revivals, but the above are the most noteworthy in their results.
     Evangelical Chapel, Mexico.—In the winter of 1875, several persons interested in this cause met at the residence of St. John Miller to discuss the advisability of organizing a church of the Evangelical denomination. These were Mr. and Mrs. Miller, J. Delaplane and wife, D. Miller, Mrs. Shuler, Mrs. Cline and Green Cooper. The first public meeting was held in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and addresses were delivered by A. A. Vandersal and G. W. Ellenburger, the former of whom was the organizing pastor. The church edifice, a frame structure, 36x48 feet, was erected in 1876, at a cost of $2,300, and the pastors have been J. S. Hawk in 1876, C. M. Haldeman three years, D. H. Rosenburg for three years, and the present pastor. The membership is now twenty-eight, and the present officials are A. A. Niebel, J. Delaplane and B. H. Niebel, Trustees; A. A. Niebel, Leader; J. Funk, Assistant Leader and Sexton.
     Methodist Episcopal Church of Mexico.—The present church edifice is quite a commodious wood structure, erected in 1869 at a cost of $5,000, and is 36x54 feet. The pastors have been as follows: Rev. Mr. Gard, served three years; Rev. Mr. Hannawalt, one year; Rev. Mr. Cutler, two years; Rev. Mr. Batman, two years; Rev. Mr. Lawrence, three years; Rev. Mr. Owens, two years; Rev. Mr. Disette, one year, and Rev. Mr. Palmer is the present pastor. There are at present twenty-four members, and the officials are Samuel Spencer, Jordan Gault, William Gibbs, Theodore Blair and Dow Tuttle, Trustees; J. C. Gault, Class-leader; and Dow Tuttle, Steward. Sunday school has been uninterruptedly maintained for ten years past.


     Pleasant Midge Cemetery Association.—The pleasantly situated grounds of this association cover an area of six and one-half acres near the Zion and Ebenezer Churches; are well fenced, and adorned with evergreen and maple , trees, with a large number of fine granite and marble monuments dotting its surface. Indeed, Pleasant Ridge Cemetery is second to none in the county for location, plan of arrangement and fine memorials of the departed. On November 17, 1880, a meeting of those interested in the formation of a cemetery, met in Ebenezer Church and proceeded to business by appointing Elias Ellis, Chairman, and William Corfman, Secretary. The committee appointed to select ground purchased six and a half acres from C. Hufford and Lester Wood; $1,100 was at once raised by subscription, $50 entitling each person to a lot. On the 8th of December following, the organization was completed, the members being Elias Ellis, William Corfman, Lewis Stokley, W. Walton, Henry Parker, L. R. Walton, P. C. King, Conrad Hufford, Lester Wood and others. Elias Ellis was first President, W. Corfman, Secretary; W. Walton, Treasurer; L. Stokley, Henry Parker and L. R. Walton, Trustees; Committee on Constitution and By-laws, W. Corfman and T. W. Parker. The association was incorporated on January 4, 1881.
     Regular meetings are held quarterly; the annual meeting is on the first Monday in December. It is somewhat singular that the first person buried in the cemetery should be one who took a deep interest in its inception, and to whom much credit is due for energy manifested in securing the establishment of the association; we allude to the late Lewis Stokley. who died April 29, 1881.




CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights