OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Wyandot Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source: 
History of Wyandot County, Ohio
Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co.,
1884


CHAPTER XIII.
TYMOCHTEE TOWNSHIP

ORGANIZATIONCHEROKEE AND WHITTAKER BOYS' RESERVATIONFIRST SETTLEMENTSOWNERS OF REAL AND PERSONAL ESTATE AT THE ERECTION OF THE TOWNSHIPMCCUTCHENVILLERELIGIOUS, ETC.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
< BACK TO HISTORY OF WYANDOT - TABLE OF CONTENTS >

  PETER L. BABCOCK was born in this township May 17, 1850, and is a son of David G. and Saloma (Hummons) Babcock, natives of York State and Pennsylvania respectively, and of German descent.  His parents married in 1840, and purchased ninety-two acres in this township, where their children were reared, four in number - Rebecca E., Minerva M., Peter L. and Florella G.  His father died in 1854; his mother now resides with him on the old homestead.  Our subject remained with his mother on the farm.  He was married April 30,  1874, to Miss Sarah E. Saffell, who was born in this township Nov. 25, 1852, a daughter of James and Jemima (Hartsough) Saffell, and to this union three children were born - Nellie S., Frank L. and Carl, the first of whom died Feb. 25, 1880.  Mr. Babcock has purchased the interests of the respective heirs, and now owns the entire homestead of ninety-two acres, his wife holding fourteen acres adjoining in her own name.  The land is all well improved, and worth about $100 to $110 per acre.  Mr. Babcock is a member of Rubicon Lodge, No.645, I. O. O. F., and a Republican politically.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 1040
  GEORGE BADGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 1040

  JESSE BADGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 - Page 1040

  PETER BAUM, born in this township July 26, 1836, is a son of Michael and Rheumhannah (Baum) Baum, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German and Irish descent.  His parents married in Pennsylvania, and moved to Ohio in 1828, locating in Pickaway County.  From that point they moved to this county by wagon several years later, and located in this township.  The family camped out till a cabin could be erected, the same being without doors, windows or floors for two years.  Eight of their nine children yet survive.  The father died in 1850; the mother is still living, in her eighty-seventy year.  Peter Baum, our subject, resided with his parents till the spring of 1858, his marriage to Miss Mary S. Bope occurring on May 8, of that year.  Mrs. Baum was born in this county Aug. 23, 1835, and is a daughter of John and Lydia (Bretz) Bope, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania.  Her parents married in Fairfield County, moved to this county rearing a family of thirteen children, nine of whom are yet living.  The father died Dec. 22, 1882; the mother is still living.  Mr. and Mrs. Baum are parents of five children - Lydia A., John, Ambrose W. E., Harrison and Mary, all living except Harrison.  Mr. Baum was reared a farmer, and from teh age of twelve years has done for himself.  About 1858 or 1860, he purchased eighty acres of the old home farm, to which he has since added thirty-five acres, and which he has very greatly improved with buildings, drainage, cultivation, etc.  Mr. Baum is a member of Rubicon Lodge, N. 645, I. O. O. F., and affiliates with the Democratic party.  He served one term as Commissioner, and has been Township Trustee several years.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1041
  ABRAHAM BLUE was born Jan. 23, 1818, in Richland County, Ohio, and was the eldest son of William and Susan (Emerine) Blue, natives of Virginia, and Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent.  They were married, in Richland County, Ohio, and about seventeen years later removed to Seneca County, Ohio, where they reared a family of eight children, of whom five still survive, viz.:  Abraham, William W., Elizabeth, Samuel D. and Angelina W.  The parents removed in about 1870 to Forest, Ohio, where the father died Dec. 26, 1872, and where his widow still resides in her eighty-fourth year.  Our subject was married, Sept. 15, 1842, to Mary Ann Snook, of Crawford Township, this county, and born near Frederickstown, Md., Feb. 3, 1824.  She was the daughter of Jacob and Mary A.  The father died Nov. 5, 1870, and the mother died Aug. 27, 1872, aged respectively seventy-three and eighty-two years.  To Abraham and Mary Blue two children were born - Chester C.  and Ruhemma A. the only former surviving.  Our subject purchased land in Hancock County, Ohio, in 1841, which he disposed of after living upon it for about five years.  He then purchased land and other property in Adrian, Seneca County, where he resided about seven years.  In 1851, he sold out and purchased the farm on which he now resides, containing 122 acres, to which he has added considerable land.  His farm is now valued at about $75 to $90 per acre.  He follows general agriculture at present; followed railroad work as sub-contractor for several years, also did contract work on the Miami & Erie Canal.  He is a Republican in politics.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1041
  CHESTER C. BLUE is a native of Big Spring Township, Seneca Co., Ohio, so of Abraham and Mary A. (Snook) Blue, and was born Aug. 25, 1843.  He was married, Nov. 19, 1867, to Rose Ann L. Hartman, who was born in Norton Township, Medina Co., Ohio, Nov. 11, 1849, daughter of Peter and Tracy (Mills) Hartman, natives of Pennsylvania, and who moved to Ohio and settled in Medina County in an early day.  Their children were Joshua, Moses, Jacob, Levi, Muasa, Manna, Mary and Rose Ann L.  The father died Nov. 11, 1860.  The mother subsequently married Mr. Darumur High, who died ten years later, after which she returned to Medina County, where she passed away Sept. 11, 1874.  Mr. and Mrs. Blue are parents of four children - Albert, born June 16, 1868; Almon, Feb. 7, 1870; Mary G., Apr. 20, 1875; Margie Ardella, Jan. 14, 1877.  Albert died Nov. 14, 1869.  In 1880, Mr. Blue became the owner of forty acres on which he now lives in the pursuit of general agriculture.  In the same year he erected a fine frame residence.  He is a Republican, a member of Wyandot Lodge, F. & A. M., at McCutchenville, and, with Mrs. Blue a member of the Evangelical Association.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1042
  CONRAD BOPE was born in this township Aug. 15, 1839, son of John and Lydia (Bretz) Bope, natives of Rockingham County, Va., and Fairfield County, Ohio, respectively.  His parents married in Fairfield County, his father having moved there at four years of age.  They came to this county in 1830; settled first in Sycamore Township, and one year later moved to Tymochtee, where they purchased land and reared their children, nine of whom are still living, namely, Abraham, Daniel, Susan, Mary S., Conrad, Eliza J., Andrew, Amanda and George W.  The father died Dec. 21, 1882; the mother is still living on the homestead.  In April, 1861, Mr. Bope enlisted in Company G, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served till August, same year.  Sept. 1, 1861, he re-enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in many of the chief battles of the war, Shiloh, Stone River, Mission Ridge and Chickamauga being among the number.  In January, 1864, he veteranized and took apart in the campaign of Atlanta.  He was wounded June 27, 1864, at Picket's Mills, Ga., a gunshot removing the middle finger of right hand, and as a result was absent from his regiment two months.  He joined his command at Atlanta, returned to Nashville, participated in the engagement there, and was wounded in the left shoulder which completely disabled him.  He remained six weeks at the Nashville hospital, when his father took him home and he slowly recovered.  In May, 1865, he went to Columbus, and the following month received his discharge, having served as Sergeant all through the service of the Army of the Cumberland.  Returning home Mr. Bope was married, Sept. 27, 1866, to Miss Dorothy Coon, who was born in Sycamore Township Sept. 7, 1842.  Her parents were Adam and Elizabeth (Heckathorn) Coon, natives of Virginia and of German extraction.  They were married, in this county, eight of their eleven children surviving, namely, Jacob, Barbara, Catharine, Henry, Elizabeth, Mary A., Dorothy and Ethan.  The father died March 28, 1877; the mother Sept. 4, 1882.  In 1871, Mr. Bope purchased ninety-seven acres on which he still lives, and on which he erected in 1877 a fine brick residence at a cost of $3,000.  He follows general agriculture, and gives some attention to the raising of thoroughbred horses.  He is a strong Republican.  Mr. Bope is a member of the Evangelical Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1042
  HENRY BRASHARES

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1043

  TRUMAN BRASHARES

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1043

  JAMES M. CHAMBERLIN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1044

  HENRY J. CLABAUGH

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1044

  DAVID A. CURLIS

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1045

  JACOB CORFMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1045

  LEVI EKLEBERRY was born in this township June 30, 1835.  He is a son of Ezekiel and Mary (Trobridge) Ekleberry, with whom he remained upon the farm until he was twenty-two years of age.  He was married, April 23, 1857, to Miss Barbara Hufford, who was born in this township Oct. 25, 1837, a daughter of Christopher and Catharine (Corfman) Hufford, who came to this county in an early day; settled in Tymochtee Township, and reared their children - two sons and six daughters.  The parents were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Ohio.  Mr. and Mrs. are the parents of ten children - Sarah E., Margaret A., Willialm, Levi, Joel, Alvin, Sebeda L., Avery, Orvil and Nettie G. - all living except Avery.  Mr. Ekleberry rented land and farmed a few years, and at the death of his father, purchased with his brother Isaac, the home farm of 160 acres - Eighty acres each.  This farm Mr. Ekleberry retains and has improved the same by geldings and cultivation till he now values it at $75 to $85 per acre.  He has also added to his original purchase, now owning 151 acres.  In connection with his agricultural work, Mr. Ekleberry gives some attention to his profession as veterinary surgeon, in which he is quite successful.  He is a Republican, a member of the F. & A. M., and of the Evangelical Church, of which society Mrs. Ekleberry is also a member.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1046
  JORDAN GAULT was born in Cambridge, Lancaster Co., Penn., Mar. 22, 1823.  He is the third son of William and Margaret (Goodman) Gault, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and of Welsh and Irish descent respectively.  His parents married in Chester County, Penn., there being nine sons and two daughters born to them, six of whom yet survive, namely:  William, Jordan, Levi, John, Malon and Alexander.  His mother died in June, 1846, his father in June, 1856.  Mr. Gault was thrown upon his own responsibilities at the age of ten.  He worked on a farm, and in a tannery till eighteen years old; then began as an apprentice at the wagon and buggy trade, working three years for his board and clothes.  HE then worked three years as journeyman, and though having to go in debt for a suit of clothes when he began, at the end of that time he had saved $225.  He was married, Nov. 11, 1847, to Miss Louisa Betz, who was born in Lancaster County, Penn. Nov. 20, 1828.  She was a daughter of John and Barbara (Miller) Betz, who were natives of Germany and Pennsylvania respectively, her father having fought under Bonaparte.  Her parents married in Lancaster County, Penn., and reared four children, three of whom still survive, namely, Catharine, Elizabeth and Louisa.  Her father died in 1838, her mother in 1861.  After his marriage, Mr. Gault began manufacturing wagons and buggies in hsi native county, where he continued the business six years.  In 1854, he migrated to Ohio and located in Ashland County, in 1866.  Here he was engaged two years in farming, then selling out and moving to Sycamore Township, this county, where he purchased eighty acres, upon which he resided about ten years, and which is now valued at $100 per acre.  In 1878, Mr. Gault removed to Mexico, this township, where he built a residence and store room, where he still resides and conducts a profitable business in general merchandise under the firm name of J. Gault & Son.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Gault eight children have been born, their names as follows:  Levi F., Barbara R., J. Sylvester, William H., Emma V., Phoebe A., James E. and an infant son.  The deceased are William H., Emma and an infant..  In politics,  Mr. Gault is a Republican and Prohibitionist, and has been a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for about thirty years.  Mr. Gault is also a member of the same society.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1046
  W. SCOTT GIER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1047

  JACOB GILLILAND is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, born Aug. 11, 1827.  He is a son of James and Susan (Steward) Gilliland, natives of Ohio and Maryland respectively, and of Scotch and Dutch lineage.  His parents married in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1823, moved to Tuscarawas County in 1833, and to this county in 1845, purchasing 200 acres of land in Eden Township.  There were ten children in the family - Lucinda, Jacob, Edward, David, Susan, William, James L., John M., Margaret A. and George W.  The latter died in infancy; David was killed in the battle of Bull Run in 1862; Susan died in 1875.  The father died Nov. 13, 1877, and was interred on the home farm in Eden Township.  The mother is now in her eighty second year.  Jacob Gilliland remained at the old home till twenty-two years of age.  He was married, Jan. 17, 1850, to Miss Hannah Savidge (see sketch of Foster Savidge), and two children, James F. and Rebecca A., were born to them.  The former died in infancy, the latter is now the wife of Mr. Gleadhill, of Crawford County, Ohio.  Mrs. Gilliland passed away Mar. 26, 1860, and Mr. G. was married, June 6, 1861, to Miss Mary Hale, a resident of this county, born in York County, Penn., May 2, 1837, daughter of John G. and Lucy (Millard) Hale, who were born and married in York County, Penn.  Her parents came to this county from Pennsylvania in 1854, and located in Crane Township.  Their children were Mary, Jonathan I., Samuel and Phoebe C.  Samuel is deceased.  The father was killed by the falling of a tree Feb. 18, 1855.  The mother is now in her seventy-seventh year.  By this latter marriage Mr. Gilliland had eight children - Corrilla E., Susan L., Lacy E, John H., Florence I., George W., Mary A., and Alburtis G.  The only deceased is George.  Mr. Gilliland began business by renting a farm in Crawford Township.  In 1851, he purchased forty acres in Eden Township, adding twenty acres in 1856, and twenty-five acres in 1868.  In 1871, he sold out, and purchased 117 acres in this township, the farm on which Matthew Brayton was stolen by the Indians.  He has since purchased 110 acres in Crawford Township.  In former years, Mr. Gilliland was a broom maker by trade.  He has served as Trustee, Assessor and Justice of the Peace, always discharging his duties satisfactorily.  Both he and Mrs. G. are members of the United Brethren Church, his former wife having been a member of the same denomination.  In politics, Mr. Gilliland is a Democrat and Prohibitionist.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1047
  LEUIS GRUB

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1048

  JACOB HAYMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1049

  ELI HEILMAN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1049

  GEORGE HETZEL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1050

  MICHAEL HETZEL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1050

  MILES C. JOHNSON

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1051

  BYRON KEAR, son of Jonathan and Caroline (Porterfield) Kear, was born in this township Jan. 24, 1832.  His parents were natives of New York and Maine respectively.  They married in Delaware County, Ohio, and located in this township on land entered by our subject's grandfather.  Their children were Lucinda E., Anna M., Crawford J., Byron, Susan C. and Agnes J.  Lucinda is deceased.  The mother died in August, 1853, the father in March, 1876, aged fifty-five and seventy-five years respectively.  They were entombed upon the farm where the grandparents, each in their ninety-third year, were also interred.  Byron Kear remained, from his youth up, on the home farm, which he obtained in later years.  He was married, Apr. 24, 1853, to Eliza A. Clark, who was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Dec. 23, 1836, a daughter of John and Caroline (Fisher) Clark, natives of New York.  Her parents married in Delaware County, Ohio, and moved to Wyandot in 1839, settling in Crawford Township.  The children of this family were Marion A., Martha A., James B., Isaac F., Albina E., Eliza A., John S., Caroline C. and Cicero; the latter and James B., now deceased.  The mother died in April, 1849, the father, Feb. 3, 1866.  Mr. and Mrs. Kear are parents of three daughters - Ada C., born Apr. 16, 1854; Emma E. Feb. 11, 1858; Flora E., Oct. 2, 1860, all living and married.  Ada C. was united with I. B. Gibbs Oct. 8, 1871; Emma was married to John Slatterback, Nov. 18, 1876; Flora E., was made the wife of J. E. Gibbs July 24, 1879.  In addition to the home farm in 1874 Mr. Kear purchased twenty-five acres, now owning 215 acres of valuable land.  In May, 1864, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-fourth Ohio National Guards, and served till September, 1864, when he was honorably discharged.  He and Mrs. Kear are members of the United Brethren Church.  Mr. Kear is a member of the Masonic Lodge, a Republican and Prohibitionist.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1051
  DOCTOR KEAR, son of Moses and Jemima (Nathan) Kear, was born in this township Feb. 10, 1833.  He resided on the farm with his parents, becoming the owner of the premises in 1854.  He was married, April 22, 1858, to Mary J. Crouse, who was born in Richland County, Ohio, Jan. 16, 1836, the daughter of William and Eliza (Musselman) Crouse, natives of Pennsylvania and of German parentage.  By this union one daughter, Leona Jane, was born, her death occurring at the age of eight years.  Mr. Kear passed from earth June 28, 1859.  Our subject was married, Mar. 21, 1861, to Miss Mary Brundage, who was born in Seneca County, Ohio, Mar. 2, 1837, daughter of Thomas and Osee (Depue) Brundage, whose history appears elsewhere in this work.  By this marriage, four children have been born - Osee L., Harriet E., Eliza J. and Lola M., the latter deceased.  In 1872, Mr. Kear added 300 acres to the home farm, on which he still lives.  He erected a good barn in 1873, a residence in 1877, and other buildings in 1882.  He is a good farmer, a Republican in politics, Prohibitionist, and has served his township in various offices.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1052
  PETER C. KING, son of Peter and Mary (Whitney) King, was born in Perry Co., Ohio.  His parents were natives of Germany and Pennsylvania respectively, married in Perry Co., Ohio, in 1812, in the war of which year Mr. King entered soon after his marriage, and continued in the servicer till its close.  He was the father of fourteen children - Saloma, Catharine, Rebecca, Lydia, Susan, Solomon, Mary, Peter C., David C., Leah, Elizabeth, John C., William C., and Frank C.  Four are deceased - Solomon, Lydia, Susan and Saloma.  The father died in 1859, aged seventy-six years; the mother, Jan. 26, 1860, aged sixty-seven years.  Peter C. King, the subject of this sketch remained at home on his father's farm and worked in his grist mill till his marriage to Caroline Long, Mar. 30, 1848.  She was the eldest daughter of David and Sarah (Mechling) Long, and was born in Perry Co., Oct. 16, 1829.  Her parents were natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, of German descent and were married in Perry Co., Ohio.  Their children were Simon G., Caroline, Reuben and Hannah, all deceased but Caroline.  The father died June 19, 1833, aged thirty-one years; his widow married Michael Mechling, in Fairfield Co., Ohio, and soon after moved to Perry County.  They had eight children - Amos, Mahala, Franklin, Mary, Benjamin, Jesse and Martha.  The father died Feb. 14, 1866, aged fifty-six years.  The mother passed away Jan. 26, 1868.  To Peter and Caroline King were born eight children - Benjamin F., Mar. 23, 1849; Matilda A., May 9, 1851; Mary A., July 31, 1854; Sarah E., May 30, 1859; Alvin D., May 20, 1860; Ella May, Jan. 12, 1863; Leefe E., Dec. 12, 1865, and an infant daughter who was born July 6, 1864.  Those now living are Mary A., Sarah E., and Leefe E.  In 1848, soon after his marriage, our subject loaded his "Pennsylvania wagon," and with two teams attached to it, started to this county.  He halted in Pitt Township, Apr. 21, on land purchased from his father a tract of eighty acres, and in a few years purchased eighty more on Section 10, where they resided till 1853.  He then sold out purchased 200 acres three miles northeast of Upper Sandusky, and in 1855 he sold this farm and purchased a saw and grist-mill on the Sandusky River, eight miles north of Sandusky.  In 1864, Mr. King purchased his present farm of 161 acres, and added forty-five acres in 1871, and twenty-five acres in 1879.  In 1881, Mr. King, with others, formed a cemetery association, and laid out a fine cemetery adjoining his farm, near the United Brethren Church.  Mr. King is a Prohibitionist politically, and with Mrs. K., is a member of the United Brethren Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1052
  HENRY LONG

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1053

  LEWIS LUPTON

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1053

  HON. JOSEPH McCUTCHEON

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1053

  MILES A. MITTEN

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1055

  JOHN F. MYERS

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1056

  ABRAHAM A. NIEBEL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1056

  HENRY PARKER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1057

  ANDREW PONTIUS

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1057

  JOEL MILUM

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1055

  SOLOMON RONK was born March 1, 1834.  He is a son of Jacob and Anna M. (Van Buskirk) Ronk, and native of Bedford, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio.  His parents were natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia respectively, of German and Scotch lineage; were married in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, his father being engaged in stone work, contractor, etc.  In 1834, the family moved to Seneca County, and in 1848, or near that time, purchased land in this county.  The children were named as follows:  Saray A.., Sophia, William, Solomon, Mary A., Melinda, Eliza J. Melissa and Cordelia, all living but William and Mary A.  The father died October 8, 1873, in his seventieth year; the mother now resides in York State in her seventy-fifth year.  At the age of twenty-two, Solomon Ronk began operations for himself working by day's work in various parts of the country.  He was married December 31, 1861, to Margaret A. Cox, who was born in Crawford County, Ohio, February 2, 1833.  Her parents were William and Sarah (Ward) Cox, natives of Ohio and Virginia, and of English and Scotch descent.  Their children were George, Lydia J., Margaret A., Emma T., Sarah, John, Mary L., Eliza and William, the two latter deceased.  The mother died August 5, 1878.  To Mr. and Mrs. Ronk were born six children - William E., Iva M., Edward J., George W., Jacob E. and Anna A.  Edward J. died in infancy.  Mr. Ronk farmed, rented land a few years, and then purchased eighty acres in Mifflin Township, though still renting for some time.  He finally traded his eighty acres for forty-eight in Crane Township, where he resided till 1882, when he sold out and purchased 185 acres in Tymochtee where he now lives, owning 160 acres also in Jay County, Ind.  He is a Republican, and, with Mrs. Ronk, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. 
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1052
  WILLIAM SCHUETZ

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1058

  JOSEPH W. SHAFFNER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1058

  LEWIS M. STOKELY, deceased, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, Oct. 24, 1824.  He was a son of Robert and Hannah (Wolverton) Stokely, who were natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania respectively.  He was one of the most prominent farmers of this township, owning 400 acres of land, and town property at Sycamore at the time of his death.  He was married Dec. 31, 1849, to Sarah M. Park, who was born in New Jersey May 15, 1832.  Her parents were Nathan and Achso F. (Fleming) Park, also natives of New Jersey, and of Scotch-Irish descent.  By this union nine children born were - Achso A., Madison S., Hannah M. Margaret F., Aaron L., Mary L., Hettie H., Harry V., Minnie M.  Mr. Stokely died Apr. 29, 1881, aged fifty-six years, and is interred in the Pleasant Ridge Cemetery.  He was a Democrat in politics, and had served his township in various capacities.  Mrs. Stokely still resides on the old homestead, in which she retains an interest, and this her son cultivates in connection with his own share of the estate.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1059
  ALBERT SWERLEIN was born in this township, Feb. 20, 1847.  He is a son of John and Theresa (Klitsch) Swerlein, with whom he remained till his marriage Sept. 6, 1873, to Miss Victoria Richardson, who was born in this county Oct. 18, 1852.  Her parents were Solomon and Eleanor (Lowmaster) Richardson, the former a native of England, the latter of Pennsylvania.  They married in Pickaway County, Ohio, and moved to Wyandot in 1834, settling first in this township, and thence to Eden Township.  Their surviving are Ann, Thomas, Solomon, Joel, Victoria and Canarissa.  The father is deceased; the mother died May 9, 1880.  Mr. and Mrs. Swerlein are parents of six children - Cora, Harry, Grace, Carl, Bessie and Jessie.  Two - Harry and Grace - are deceased.  In 187, Mr. Swerlein purchased fifty acres in this township, having rented land for several years previous.  His farm is valued at $75 to $85 per acre.  He and Mrs. Swerlein are members of the German Reformed Church at Upper Sandusky.  In politics, Mr. Swerlein is a Democrat.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1060
  JOHN SWERLEIN was born in Oberbach, Bishopsheim, Bavaria, Feb. 17, 1820.  His parents were Lawrence and Margaret (Rutiger) Swerlein, natives of the same town, county and kingdom in which they were married, lived and died.  Their children all died in the old country but three - Margaret, John and Elizabeth.  The former is now deceased, and the latter resides in Wisconsin.  At the age of nineteen years, Mr. Swerlein emigrated to America, and in 1840 he located at Tiffin, Ohio.  He was married, Apr. 29, 1842, to Theresa Kiltsch, of the same nativity, a daughter of John and Mary (Rease) Kilsch, also a native of the same locality, and who emigrated in 1830, and settled in Tiffin.  Her father died four days after his arrival, leaving a wife and four children - Elizabeth, Theresa, Mary and Eve.  The mother died Jan. 22, 1882.  Mr. and Mrs. Swerlein are the parents of ten children - Joseph H., Albert, William R., Helena, Edward, Amelia, Harmon, Mary, Loretta and Lawrence.  Three of these are deceased - Mary, Helena and Amelia.  Mr. Swerlein worked at the shoe-making trade two years in Tiffin and four years in Mexico.  In 1847, he purchased forty acres, to which he added twenty-six in 1858, and which he sold in 1865, purchasing 130 acres, his present farm in 1867.  He has good buildings and a valuable farm, and is a member of the Catholic Church.  He built a fine frame residence in 1876, costing $2,000, and an excellent barn in 1880, costing $500.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1059
  GEORGE VAN POOL

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1060

  JOHN S. WAGNER was born in Ross County, Ohio, Oct. 13, 1813; he is a son of Jacob and Eva (Smith) Wagner who were natives of and married in Frederick County, Md.  His parents moved into Ohio in 1808, and settled in Ross County, where they lived nineteen years.  They then loved to this county, settled on the banks of Wild Run in this township, entered 320 acres, erected a log cabin of hte true pioneer brand, with quilts for doors, greased paper for windows, and the ground for a floor.  Of their children, Jacob, James, Elizabeth, David and Nancy were born in Maryland, and John S. and Cynthia were born in Ohio.  Of these, alone surviving, John S. and Nancy are both residents of this county.  On locating in this wilderness, the parents were well nigh discouraged, but were induced to stay by their few neighbors - Mr. and Mrs. Pennington, Barney Rogers, William Canghey and another or two.  The mother died about 1829-30; the father married again about 1837, and moved to Seneca County, where he died about 1840 and 1842.  In 1833, at the age of twenty, John Wagner, our subject, was sent to Ross County to learn the trade of shoe-making, and remained three years.  He then returned to Seneca County, made his home with Adam Pennington set up a shop and worked for the people, sometimes going to the neighbors with his tools to work leather for them.  He continued this work many years.  He was married, Feb. 17, 1837, to Charlotte Gurnee, who was born in this county, May 28, 1821, the daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Nap) Gurnee, natives of N. Y. State, and early settlers of this county.  By this marriage eight children were born, five of whom are yet living, namely: Cyrus, Eliza J., Hannah M., Albert and Anna.  The deceased are John N., James and George.  Mrs. Wagner died Oct. 22, 1883.  George W. was shot and died in the army.  Mr. Wagner gave up the shoe-making trade, and in 1845 purchased nine acres in this township.  He has since added to this, bought, sold and traded till he now owns 135 acres, besides what he has given to his sons.  He is a Republican and a member of the Evangelical Association, though formerly a Democrat and Methodist.  Mrs. Wagner was also a member of the Evangelical Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1060
  L. R. WALTON, one of the leading farmers and stock dealers of the county, was born near the village of Old  Tymochtee, June 16, 1833.  His parents, Matthew and Catharine (Shepler) Walton, were natives of Trenton, N. J.  They were married in their native county, and subsequently removed to Ross county, Ohio, from which place they came to Wyandot County in 1826-27.  Mr. Walton entered eighty acres of land three miles east of Old Tymochtee, and resided on that till July, 1833, when he purchased 160 acres three and a half miles southeast of Old Tymochtee.  He cleared most of this farm, and remained on it till his death, which occurred June 1, 1861, at the ripe age of sixty-two years.  Mrs. Walton preceded him in March, 1855, at the age of fifty.  Their union was blest with ten children, five of whom are living at the present time, their names as follows:  Andrew Irwin, a resident of this township; James H., on the old homestead in this township; L. R., our subject; Casander, wife of Elijah Lake, and Matthew, a resident of Upper Sandusky.  L. R. Walton, whose name heads this sketch, was reared on the homestead and educated in the common schools.  September 8, 1853, he was married to Miss Catharine J. Hufford, daughter of Christopher and Catharine (Corfman) Hufford, who were early settlers in this township.  Mrs. Walton, a native of this township, was born June 9, 1834.  To Mr. and Mrs. Walton have been born four children; of these, two are living - Barbara E., wife of Madison Stokley, and BirtClayton died at the age of six years and nine months; Casper, at the age of nine years.   In 1865, Mr. Walton brought eighty acres where he now resides.  He made subsequent additions to this purchase till he owned 240 acres of land.  He has since disposed of a part of his farm to his daughter, and now owns 165 acres,  which is under excellent cultivation and finely improved.  He has an artificial fish pond covering half an acre, which is supplied with water from a spring thirty rods away, being conveyed by an underground pipe.  In May, 1883, he purchased sixty-five German carp, paying therefor $40, and has since paid considerable attention to fish culture.  Mr. Walton has engaged extensively for the last fourteen years in handling stock.  He ships on an average forty car loads annually, principally to Buffalo, N. Y., and East Liberty, Penn.  Mr. Walton ranks as one of the leading live stock men of the county.  He is a citizen of public spirit, and has always performed his part in public improvements and enterprises of the county.  He served his township as Trustee three years.  He owns Section F, containing half an acre, in Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, and has taken great pains to improve it.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1061

William Walton
Pg. 568
(portrait only)
  WILLIAM WALTON was born in Ross County, Ohio, Dec. 21, 1824; he is a son of Lemar and Anna (Thompson) Walton, natives of New Jersey; his parents married in Ross County, Ohio, and moved to Wyandot about 1826, locating in this township.  Six children were born to them - William, Maria, Levi, Sarah J., Lemar S. and Marshal, all living but Levi and Maria.  William Walton, the subject of this notice, was married Oct. 7, 1846, to Miss Delilah A. Parker, a resident of this township, native of Ross County, Ohio, and daughter of William and Rachel (Compton) Parker, who were born and married in Pennsylvania.  They afterward came to this county, where they purchased land and reared a family of children.  Joseph, Henry and Delilah are living; Charles, Chartte, John and Jane are deceased.  The parents are also deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Walton have five children - Alvin M., Joel L., Olive P., Laura A. and Sarah E.  Mrs. Walton, after suffering untold agony for many weeks, died of cancer of the breast, Dec. 5, 1883.  Mr. Walton rented land for several years after his marriage, but in 1852 purchased eighty acres in this township.  In 1858, he obtained ninety-three acres, upon which he now lives.  He deals largely in stock, especially sheep, and has added to his original purchase till he now owns 524 acres.  His farm is well improved as to drainage and fences, and is provided with good buildings of all necessary kinds.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1062
  EDWIN S. WILLSON

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1062

  CHARLES L. WININGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1062

  GEORGE WININGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1063

  JOEL WININGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1063

  JOHN WININGER

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1064

  LESTER WOOD

Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1064

  WILLIAM YAMBERT.  This gentleman is a native of Perry County, Penn, and was born Nov. 25, 1828.  He is a son of John and Catharine (Cooney) Yambert, who were married in Perry County, and reared seven children - John, Daniel, Samuel, Solomon, Lydia, William and Susana.  Daniel was drowned in the Sandusky River.  By a former wife, Mary (Glick), Mr. Yambert had four children - John H., Aaron, Sarah and Mary.  After his second marriage, Mr. Yambert, in 1833, moved to Ohio, and located in Seneca County, where he died May 24, 1863.  His wife passed away June 7, 1876, their respective ages being eighty-two and eighty-five years.  William Yambert, the subject of this sketch, remained on the farm with his parents till grown to manhood.  He went to Iowa and entered 120 acres of land, which he sold soon after, and returned home.  He was married, Nov. 15, 1855, to Susannah Hotenstein, who was born in Lancaster County, Penn., Dec. 21, 1835, a daughter of Henry and Mary (Brube) Hottenstein, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent.  Her parents married in Pennsylvania, and moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1837.  They moved to this township from Seneca County in 1850-51, and resided here till their death.  Their children were John, Elizabeth, Susannah, Mary and Henry.  The mother died March, 1850, the father is also deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Lambert are parents of seven children - Henry M., Mary E., Rilla  J., Laura J., William A., John F., and Arthur R.  Three are deceased - Henry M., Mary E. and Laura J.  Mr. Yambert farmed rented land a few years, when he obtained eighty acres form his father's estate.  In 1863 he purchased eighty acres in this township, and to this tract he has since added 100 acres.  In 1878, he erected a fine brick residence.  He is a Republican, and, with Mrs. Yambert, a member of the Evangelical Church.
Source:  History of Wyandot County, Ohio - Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1884 ~ Page 1065

BACK TO HISTORY OF WYANDOT - TABLE OF CONTENTS

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
WYANDOT COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights