OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

.

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883
 

CHAPTER VIII
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP
By S. C. Gordon, M.D.
Pg. 530

     FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP was formed by order of the County Commissioners Dec. 2, 1822, and is bounded and described as follows:  “ Beginning in the southern boundary line of Highland County dividing in part Highland and Brown, five and one-half miles from the corner or connection of the said line with Adams County, and running from thence due south to the township line dividing the townships of Eagle and Byrd; thence westerly with the line dividing Eagle, Pleasant and Clark Townships, six miles; thence north five and one-half miles to a point, from which point a line shall be run at right angles to the first line, forming one entire township, to be called Franklin Township.”  It was also ordered “that an election be held on the first Saturday in January next, at the house of Henry Dunn, in said township, for the necessary officers.” Mar. 3, 1823, a petition was made to the County Commissioners by a number of the inhabitants of that part of the county, “ praying that the north and south lines or boundaries of Franklin and Washington Townships be so changed as to make White Oak Creek the line between the said townships of Franklin and Washington, thereby attaching all the territory between the said White Oak Creek and the said original north and south boundaries of Franklin and Washington Townships, to the said townships respectively, agreeable to the east and west line dividing said townships of Washington and Franklin; and the said application having been duly considered, it is ordered by the Commissioners that the alteration be made accordingly, and that White Oak Creek to the fork, and thence with the North Fork thereof, shall be the westerly boundary of the aforesaid townships of Franklin and Washington, thereby including all the territory east of the said White Oak Creek in and to the townships of Franklin and Washington.” On the same day, a petition to change the line dividing Franklin and Pleasant was presented, “and the same having been duly considered, it is ordered by the Commissioners that the alteration be made accordingly, and that the Williamsburg road, so far as connected with the territory of the said townships, be the boundary line east and westwardly between the said townships of Pleasant and Franklin, thereby attaching all the territory south of the said Williamsburg road to the township of Pleasant.” Afterward, Richard and Robert Blair (the latter owning the farm now owned by W. P. Maklem) were, upon their petition, stricken from Franklin into Pleasant Township.
     When Scott Township was formed (Jan. 1, 1828), that part of it east of White Oak Creek, and as far north as the southern line of Washington, was taken from Franklin Township.  There was no other important change in the boundary of Franklin until June 25, 1853, when Jefferson was formed from Byrd, Jackson and the southeastern corner of Franklin Townships, the portion from this township including the
Abbott mill.
     On petition of B. W. Whiteman (then owning the farm now owned by Frederick Elschlager) and A. D. Ellis (then owning where Ephraim Brown now lives), the line was so changed as to throw them, together with those now owned by Mat Elschlager and William Ellis and Ephraim Brown, into Scott Township.  This line is not straight, and there is some controversy about it. Franklin Township is bounded on the north by Washington, on the east by

Page 531 -
Jackson, on the south by Jefferson and Pleasant, and on the west by Pleasant and Scott Townships.
     When the township was formed, Hosea Banner was appointed by the Commissioners to enumerate the white male citizens, and to list the taxable property of the township.  He was allowed for said service $8.
     This township is watered, or rather drained, by Straight Creek (so called because it is straight the distance of half a mile or so from where it empties into the Ohio River), the West Fork of the same, which is generally spoken of as West Fork, and the West Fork of Eagle Creek, with their tributaries.  Straight Creek enters the northeastern part of the township, flows in a westerly direction until it reaches Arnheim, where it trends to the south, and emerges from the south central part of the township into Jefferson, soon, however, to pass into Pleasant.  West Fork flows through the western part of the township in a southerly direction, trending somewhat to the east, and empties into Straight Creek, about one and a half miles from the southern boundary of the township.  The West Fork of Eagle Creek rises in the southeastern part of the township, and passes out near the southeastern corner into Jackson Township.
     The surface of Franklin Township is generally level, but along the streams it is somewhat broken.  The soil is generally fertile, yet there is considerable land that is badly worn.  It has literally been “corned to death.”
     Originally, the land was heavily timbered with the different varieties of oak (the majestic white oak predominating), beech, hickory, maple, sweet gum, and, along the streams, walnut, poplar, ash, hard maple or sugar tree, elm and wild cherry, and, although there has been almost reckless destruction of the timber, there is still enough, with the exceptions of cherry, walnut and poplar, for local demands.  Blue limestone for building purposes, as well as for roads, and for burning into lime, is abundant, and is easily obtained along the streams, where it crops out, but back from the streams it is deeply covered by clay drift.
     The residents of Franklin are generally engaged in agriculture, manufactures of any kind having received but little attention.  The principal crops for many years were corn, wheat, oats and hay.  After the German element was added to the population, there was some barley raised, and a few vineyards planted, but the manufacture of wine has been abandoned, and at the present time there is not a vineyard in the township.  Of late years, tobacco has been raised quite extensively, and can now be ranked as one of the principal crops.  Last year (1881), the crops of the township were materially shortened by the drouth, but this year there has probably been raised the largest crop of corn, wheat, hay and tobacco ever produced in the township.  The favorable weather of last fall gave an opportunity of putting in a larger acreage of wheat than usual, and the mild winter prevented it from freezing out.  The hay was mostly put up in good condition, but some cut later was somewhat injured by wet weather.  The crop of oats was poor, being badly injured by rust.  The corn on wet land is light, as is also tobacco, but, taken as a whole, they are up to the average - tobacco above, as a larger acreage was planted this year.  Potatoes and sweet potatoes are raised in abundance for home consumption, as well as for market, and the same may be said of sorghum.  The culture of flax, once so necessary for home wear, is a product of the past, and only remembered by the older citizens of the township.

EARLY SETTLEMENTS.

     Among the first settlers in what is now Franklin Township were Joseph Long, Robinson Lucas, Uriah Springer, Job Springer, Jacob Springer, John

Page 532 -
Springer, George Washburne, Uriah Washburne, James Prickett, John Prickett, John Lindsey, Phillip Lindsey, Thomas Pindell, John Pindell, Reuben Bunner, Joseph Abbott, John Abbottt, Silas Abbott, Joseph Abbott, Jr., Greer Brown, John Carbery, James Dunn, Henry Dunn, Ferrel Dunn, Benjamin Hays, Charles B. Smith, McCord Brady, James Ball, Jacob Lucas, John Stansberry, Thomas Stansberry, Isaac Stansberry, Benjamin Wells, Josiah Stansberry, David Thorp, Terry Womacker and David Newman.  They came mostly from Virginia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania, and, on their way, crossed mountains, rivers and forests, and fought their way through hardships, dangers and privations.  They and their children were familiar with the alarms and dangers of a frontier life.  There being no market within easy access for the products of the soil, there was little grain raised, and that little mostly Indian corn.  The forests abounded in game of all kinds, deer and turkeys being abundant for many yers, and, when the first settlers arrived, bears were plentiful, especially among the hills near the Ohio River. The wild bee had stored its honey in the hollow trees, and, when the hardy pioneers wished honey for their “ johnny-cake,” they felled a “bee tree,” and carried the honey home in the fresh skin of a deer, the legs being tied together over a pole, which was placed on their shoulders, and stored in troughs hewn from the trunks of fallen trees, such things as jars and cans being unknown in the settlements, and even buckets were few.  They were all expert in the use of the rifle (it being their almost constant companion), and were familiar with the habits of the bear, wolf, deer, turkey, etc.
     As the country became more thickly settled, there was developed a propensity for horse-racing, horse-trading, and, occasionally, getting on a “spree,” as whisky was considered “legal tender,” and was easily obtained, as stillhouses were numerous, and a gallon of whisky was exchanged for a bushel of corn, or its equivalent.  The hardy pioneer was brave and generous, but without the polish and formality of the present day, and the occasional traveler who entered his rude cabin was freely entertained, the fare simple, but being pressed upon him with genuine hospitality.
     William Long and his wife, Mary (Evans) Long, came to the United States from Ireland, and, as early as 1798, if not before, they came from Kentucky, and settled on Cornick’s Run, near the present site of Ripley, where the husband died and was buried, leaving his widow and six children - Nancy Jane, Margaret, Sarah, Joseph and Mary.
     About 1800 or 1801, Mary Long and her children, who were not married, came to what is now Franklin Township, and settled on what is known as the Joseph Long farm, where Henry Miller now lives.  Nancy married Uriah Springer.  Jane married John Bunner, who was a cooper, and the son of Reuben Bunner, and they settled on his father’s farm, now owned by L. SpencerMargaret married Isaiah Lucas, son of Robinson LucasSarah married Benjamin Purdum a tanner, who established a tan yard, the first in the township, on his father-in-law’s farm, where he lived for some years.  Joseph (born Jan. 22, 1784), married Charlotte Bunner; he lived on the home farm, his wife died May 17, 1855.  In February, 1865, he went to Illinois, and, on October 23 of the same year, died, aged eighty-one years, eight months and one day.  He was brought back to Franklin Township and buried by his wife in the old Baptist Churchyard.
     Robinson Lucas moved from Virginia to Kentucky, came from Kentucky and settled near the Ohio River, at Cornick’ s Ran, with William Long, Uriah Springer and James Prickett.  We are informed that his sons, William and John, came over about a week before the rest of the family, and built the first shanty ever built at the mouth of Red Oak Creek, and, when the family arrived, they had twenty-one bears killed and hung to the trees around the shanty.  After living here a short

Page 533 -
time, Mr. Lucas came up Straight Creek and settled on the farm now owned by Huston Rhoten, where he died and is buried.  There were born to Robinson Lucas and wife nineteen children, fifteen living to grow up, viz.. Temperance, Elizabeth, William, John, Jacob, Drucilla, Mary, Cynthia, Anna, Isaiah, Isaac, Sarah, Robert, Rhoda and James - the last two born after their parents came here.  Temperance married William Arnold; lived for awhile north of the present site of Arnheim; afterward moved one mile east of Arnheim, where she died, Elizabeth married John LindseyWilliam married Mary Hickem bottom; settled on the farm now owned by the widow of Jacob Biery; they removed to Indiana in 1830, where the wife died; he came back, and died on West Fork.  John married Margaret Harper, and settled on the farm adjoining his brother William; the farm is now owned by H. F. Pindell; he sold and went to Illinois.  Jacob remained in Virginia when his parents moved to Kentucky; he married the widow of Moses Stansberry, and. about 1810, came to Ohio and settled on Straight Creek.  Drucilla married Phillip LindseyMary married Edward Pindell, son of Thomas PindellCynthia married James Robins, and settled ou Brown’s Run, in Washington Township, where he died; she afterward married John Jacobs; they lived and died near Arnheim.  Anna married Isaac Bunner; lived on West Fork, where they died; their son, Isaac Bunner, now owns the farm.  Isaiah married Margaret Long, daughter of William Long; lived for some years on the east side of Straight Creek, on land now owned by B. W. Gordon; he sold to John Ernst and moved to Indiana, where he died.  Isaac married Euphemia Harper, and settled on Straight Creek, above Arnheim, and, while running on a keel-boat on the Ohio River, he died at Gallipolis.  Sarah never married.  Robert married Mary Grogan; settled on Straight Creek adjoining his brother William, and, later, moved to Indiana, and from there to Illinois, where he died.  Rhoda married Thomas Arnold; lived on West Fork till he died; she lived at Phillip Lindsey’s until her death.  James inherited the home farm; he married - Harris, who lived but a few years; he afterward married Sarah Smith; he sold his farm to Michael Pindell and went to Indiana, and from there to Illinois.  John Lucas and Margaret (Harper) Lucas had born to them Lydia, Presley, Reason, Euphemia and JohnLydia married Nathan Springer, son of Uriah Springer; they moved to Illinois, where she still lives, her husband having died some eight years ago.  Presley went to Illinois with his father, and married Louisa Prickett, daughter of James Prickett; he died in December, 1881; his widow is still living.  Reason married Martha A. West in 1839, and lived on the West Fork of Eagle Creek for eight years, then moved to Russellville, where they still live.  Euphemia went to Illinois with her father, and married Reuben Long, and is still living there.  John went to Illinois with his father, and married Sarah Smith; is still living in that State.
     Uriah Springer, when he first came to Ohio, settled near where Ripley now is.  He married Nancy Long, daughter of William Long, and there were born to them Hannah, Nathan, William, Joseph, Zadoc, Levi, Drucilla, Nancy, Uriah, Theresa and Mahala.  When he came to what is now Franklin Township, he settled on the farm where Isaac Waters now lives, where he lived for many years.  After the close of the war of 1812, he made a trip across the State on horseback, after the late James Bunner, who had been discharged from the army, but, on account of ill health, was unable to reach home.  Bunner worked for him afterward, and off bore the brick for the house which he shortly afterward built.  This and the house where M. A. Courts now lives, built by John Lindsey about the same time, were the first brick houses built in the township.  Mr. Springer was elected Justice of the Peace in 1822, and served as such officer, and as one of the Township Trustees, for many years.  He and all his family went to Illinois.

Page 534 -

     Jacob Springer, brother of Uriah, settled on the farm on which J. W. Barnes now lives.  John Springer settled on the opposite side of the creek.

     George Washburne and his wife, Azuba (Robins) Washburne, came from Kentucky to this township about 1799, and settled on the east side of Straight Creek, on what was called Cherry Bottom; the land is now owned by Adam Wells.  They lived here for some years; moved above the present site of Sardinia, and, after living there three or four years, moved to a farm on Wardlow’s Run, but, in a few years, sold this farm and moved to Indiana, where they died.  There were born to them Jeremiah, Isaac, Cornelius, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachael, Azuba, Phoebe and Nancy - the last three after they came to Ohio.  Jeremiah married Nancy McDaniel; moved away, but where to is not known.  Isaac married Rachael Laycock; settled on part of the home farm, on the east side of Straight Creek.  Cornelius married Susan Dunn, daughter of James Dunn, and settled on the west side of Straight Creek, and set out an orchard; the house was on land now owned by B. W. Gordon, but the orchard on land now owned by the writer; the last tree has been gone for some seven or eight years.  Sarah married James Holmes and moved to Clermont County, but where to from there is not known.  Rebecca married John Stansberry. Rachael married Samuel G. Sperry; settled on farm now owned by Jasper Leming, opposite White Oak Valley, where they lived for several years, and moved to Indiana, where she died.  Azuba married James Haas; settled on White Oak Creek; he lived but a short time, dying at her father’s house.  Phoebe married William Grant; settled on White Oak, below Sardinia, where they lived for some years, and then moved to Indiana.  Nancy married Andrew Lowderback; lived on Brown’s Run, on what is known as the Gabriel Hays place, for several years, then moved to Indiana.

     James Prickett, with his wife, Mary, after living a short time near the Ohio River, came to this township and settled on the farm just above the present site of Arnheim, now owned by Thomas Lindsey.  When he came, he found the second bottom, on which the present house stands, covered with huts or wigwams, made of poles and bark, left by the Indians.  Thinking the easiest method to get rid of them was to burn them, he acted accordingly, and, after clearing the ground, put out an orchard, some trees of which are still living, and apparently thrifty; others are nearly dead, some being merely large stumps, from which the bark is gone, a few small limbs on one side still showing signs of life.  The writer measured some of these venerable trees, and found three of them eight feet and two inches in circumference at four feet from the ground.  Mr. Lindsey says that, three years ago, while the bark was on them, they measured nine feet.  Two of those still living measure seven feet and eight inches in circumference.  The spring near the house is still called the “Old Indian Spring.”  After living on the above-named farm for many years, Mr. Prickett sold it and removed to Illinois.  His children were Dudley, Hannah, Sabra, Basha, Louisa and LexieDudley married Eda Washburne and moved to Illinois with his father.  Sabra married John McDaniel, and they moved to Missouri.  Hannah married Enoch Laycock, and, for many years, lived where Christian Kieffer now lives, and afterward went to Illinois.  Basha, Louisa and Lexie went to Illinois with their father.

     John Prickett married Elizabeth Hays in Virginia; came to Franklin Township about 1800, and settled on what is known as the Jacob Arn farm, between the Arnheim and Brownstown and the Arnheim and Sardinia roads.  The village of Arnheim was laid out on part of this farm.  There were born to them Phoebe, James, William, Zadoc, Henry and Benjamin in Virginia, and Presley, Susan, Nimrod, Amelia, Manerva and Eliza after they came here.  Nimrod and Amelia were twins.  Phoebe married Simeon Gardner, and both

Page 535 -
joined the Mormons; they went to Nauvoo, returned to Indiana, and there died.  James married Lucy Rice and moved to Indiana and died.  William married Catherine Rice (sister of Lucy); they also moved to Indiana and died.  Zadoc married Mary Ross; moved to Indiana about 1830, and afterward died.  Henry married Elizabeth Washburne, moved to Illinois, and has since died.  Benjamin married Sarah Ann Fleming, moved to Missouri, and is now dead.  Susan married Isaiah Carberry, moved to Indiana, and from there to Michigan, where she died; her husband is still living.  Presley married Mary Pindell; moved to Indiana, and there died.  Nimrod married Mary Fleming and moved to Missouri, where he died.  Amelia, born July 7, 1805, married Jesse Lindsey in 1827; her husband died in 1871; she is still living, on West Fork, the last of her father’s family.  Manerva married Peter Fraze; moved to Indiana, and from there to Michigan, where they both died.  Eliza went to Indiana with her father and mother, and died the year following.

     John Lindsey was born in Pennsylvania Feb. 28, 1774, and married Elizadeth Lucas, daughter of Robinson Lucas, but whether in Virginia or Kenturky, or after his father-in-law came to Ohio, we have been unable to learn.  He came to the territory now constituting this township about 1801 or 1802, and settled on land now owned by Joseph List, and, with his brother Phillip, who lived with him, cleared a small field.  He and his brother shortly afterward bought a tract of land on West Fork, he taking the farm now owned by M. A. Courts, and on which he lives, and Phillip taking where Charles Elschlager lives.  The title, however, not being good, they bought it again, from Cadwallader Wallace.  Upon the organization of the county of Brown, in 1818, John Lindsey was one of the Commissioners, and, at the first election after Franklin Township was formed, was elected one of the Trustees.  The same year, he was also commissioned as Justice of the Peace, which office, as well as that of Township Trustee, he held for many years.  In 1824, Franklin Township gave him seventy-nine votes for Sheriff; in 1825, it gave him ninety-one votes for Commissioner; in 1826, for Sheriff, the vote of Franklin stood: John Lindsey, seventy-four; James Loudon, fifteen; John W. Odell, eighteen; and John Walker, three.  In 1830, he was again a candidate for Sheriff, the vote of Franklin standing: Jeremiah Purdum, thirty-one; Robert Allen, four; Moses Laycock, twenty-four; and John Lindsey, thirty-seven. Sept. 12, 1844, he deeded one acre of land for a burying-ground, and upon which to build West Fork Church.  He died Apr. 9, 1847, aged seventy-three years one month and twelve days, and is buried in the above-named churchyard, as is also his wife.  There were born to them William, Hezekiah, James, Sarah, Rhoda, Rachel, Emma, Mary, Dorcas and Grant.  William, born about 1797 or 1798, married Elizabeth Harris, and lived on the farm now owned by William Ellis, in Scott Township, for many years; he then went to Missouri, where he was living when last heard from.  Hezekiah, born in December, 1799, married Nancy Wells, and lived for some years on West Fork, then moved to the farm now owned by Rev. S. A. Vandyke, in Scott Township.  He was the first Clerk of Franklin Township, and held the office until 1828.  He was elected County Auditor, and moved to Georgetown, and afterward left there, but where he went is not known to the writer.  James married Mary Rich; lived near Hamersville for some years, and, on the death of his father, he bought the home farm, where he lived until his death.  Sarah married John Rich, and they lived where Frederick Elschlager now lives, then moved near Hamersville, where she died.  Rhoda married Henry Spires; moved to Indiana, where she died.  Rachel married Enoch Smith, and they lived near New Richmond, where she died.  Emma married Joseph Smith (brother of Enoch), and they lived at Chilo, in Clermont County, where they both

Page 536 -
the former in the winter of 1881-82, and the latter in the spring of 1882.  Mary married Warford Jordon, and, soon afterward, they moved to Spencer County, Ind., where she was living when last heard from.  Dorcas went with her sister Mary to Indiana, where she died.  Grant married America Dennis, and lived on his father’s farm.  He and Wilson Morrow engaged in a bowing match on West Fork, and, going in bathing while heated, he was taken sick, and died a day or two afterward.

     Phillip Lindsey was born in Pennsylvania Feb. 13, 1782; came to this township with his brother John, and lived with him until he was married.  He married Drucilla Lucas, and settled on the farm where Charles Elschlager now lives.  His house burning down, he moved into the house where he and his brother John first settled until he could rebuild.  He lived for many years on West Fork, and then moved to the James Prickett farm, above Arnheim, where he died May 22, 1866, in the eighty-fifth year of his age.  There were born to Phillip and Drucilla Lindsey, Jesse, Delilah, Elizabeth, Preston, Thomas, Elijah and DrucillaJesse, born Aug. 6, 1805, married Amelia Prickett in 1827, daughter of John Prickett, and bought forty-five acres of land where J. L. Carberry now lives.  He cleared part of it, and, after some years, sold, and bought on West Fork, on the Arnheim & New Hope road, where he lived until his death, June 22, 1871.  His widow is still living.  Delilah married Valentine D. Carberry; her father gave them the farm on the Georgetown & Sardinia road, where F. W. Hanselman lives; he exchanged with Josiah Carberry for the farm on Sycamore Run, where they lived for many years, when he and Thomas Lindsey exchanged farms, they moving to where G. B. Carberry now lives, where he died.  She afterward married Henry Dunn, and lived near Brownstown until her death.  Elizabeth married Simon Kratzer, and they lived on her father’s farm for some years, when they moved to the farm now owned by the writer, purchasing it from George Bohrer; after the death of her husband, she married Lemuel Rachford, and sold the interest in the farm, and bought property above Arnheim, where she died Oct. 16, 1878.  Preston died when about seventeen years of age.  Thomas was born Nov. 23, 1813; married Mary Pindell; lived two or three years on his father’s place, and then moved to the Carberry farm, on Sycamore Run, where he lived for about twenty years; he then moved to Arnheim, where he lived for nine years; from there he moved to the James Pickett farm, where he is still living.  Elijah married Susan Pindell, daughter of Jacob Pindell; lived a few years on the home farm, when he bought the Uriah Springer farm, where he lived until his death.

     Thomas Pindell married Elizabeth Mills, and came to this township among the first settlers, and settled on the farm now owned by Magdalene and Dorothy Biehn. T here were born to them Sarah, Jacob, Nancy, Edward, Thomas, Gabriel, Samuel, Michael and Davis Sarah married Benjamin Hays, and settled on Straight Creek, on the farm now owned by Conrad Kattein, opposite where he now resides.  They lived there for some time, and moved to the farm on Brown’s Run, in Washington Township, known as the Gabriel Hays farmJacob married Susannah Hays, sister of Benjamin Hays; settled on Straight Creek, on the farm now owned by Huston Rhoten, where his wife died; he afterward married Sarah Carbery, daughter of John Carbery, and died Aug. 10, 1825; at the time of his death, was one of the Township Trustees; his widow afterward married Josiah Wolcott Thomas married Marie Brady, daughter of McCord Brady, and settled on the farm now owned by Simon P. Berry, where he lived until his death.  Gabriel married Elizabeth Pindell, daughter of John Pindell; settled on the farm now owned by J. M. Pindell, and there died.  Samuel married Sarah McCollister, and settled on

Page 537 -


Edmund Martin

Page 538 - [BLANK PAGE]

Page 539 -
the farm above named, which he sold to his brother Gabriel, and moved to Washington Township.  Michael married Jane Brady, daughter of McCord Brady, and settled on the farm in which Huston Rhoten now lives, where he died.  Davis married Mary Springer, daughter of Uriah Springer, and remained on the home farm for some years, when he sold to George Biehn and moved to Illinois.

     Joseph Abbott was born May 29, 1739, and his wife, Esther Abbott, Sept. 17, 1746, and there were born to them eight children, as follows: Mary, born Sept. 7, 1767; Chloe, Feb. 5, 1769; John, Nov/ 22, 1770; Rebecca, Nov/ 22, 1774; Eunice, Sept. 11, 1777; Silas, June 28, 1779; Jane, Nov. 28, 1781; and Joseph, June 2, 1784.  Joseph Abbott, Sr., moved from New Jersey to Virginia; served in the Continental army during the Revolution, and, shortly after the war, in company with Greer Brown (who had also been a soldier), came to Straight Creek and located 1,000 acres of Virginia Military land, in one body, each taking 500 acres.  This land lies in the south central part of Franklin Township, on both sides of Straight Creek, and embraces some of the best land in Brown County.  Mr. Abbott went back to Virginia and worked at his trade (being a millwright) for some years, then moved to Kentucky, and. about 1804, came back to Straight Creek (where his son John already was) with the rest of the family (except Eunice, who had married a Mr. Lake, and moved to Northern Ohio), and settled where John E. Brown now lives, where he remained until his death.  He is buried in what is known as the Abbott Graveyard.

     John Abbott was born in New Jersey Nov. 22, 1770; went, when a boy, with his parents to Virginia; there he learned the trade of millwright with his father, and, after he became of age, for helping him build a mill in Virginia, his father gave him 250 acres of the land he had located on Straight Creek.  He came and picked out the land about 1792, and returned to Virginia, and went with his father to Kentucky, where he remained until about 1800, when he came back to Straight Creek, built a cabin on his land, and for four years lived here by himself.  Mar. 1, 1804, he married Hannah, daughter of Joseph and Experience Reynolds, who came and settled in what is now Jackson Township about 1802.  The cabin which John Abbott first built, and in which he raised his family, is still standing.  When he built the brick house (about 1836), he moved the cabin back, as it stood in front of the new one.  John and Hannah (Reynolds) Abbott had borne to them eleven children, viz.: Lewis, Dec. 1, 1804; Amanda, May 28, 1806; Eliza, Sept. 15,1807; Charles, July 15, 1809; Esther, Mar. 20, 1811; Roxie, June 9, 1813; George, May 30, 1815; Elias, Dec. 9, 1817; John M., Feb. 6, 1820; Elizabeth, Mar. 9, 1822; and Lucy J., June 29, 1827.  Lewis married Deborah Jennings; lived one year at his father’s mill, on Straight Creek, and moved to his father-in-law’s farm, on Camp Run, in Pleasant Township, where he lived until his death, some years ago.  Eliza married David D. Brown, son of John Brown and grandson of Greer Brown, and lived on Straight Creek for a number of years, then moved to Clark Township, near Hamersville, where she still lives; her husband died a few years ago.  Charles married Sarah Brown, sister of David D. Brown, in 1830; moved to the mill, where he lived until 1838, when he bought and moved to the farm in Pleasant Township where he still resides; his wife dying in 1856, in September, 1864, he married Mrs. Frances Earhart, nee WinterEsther married Thomas Silman; they moved to Eagle Township, where they lived for several years, and, while there, he built the mill at Fincastle, and afterward moved to McLain County, Ill., where his wife died; he went from there to Kansas, and lived but a short time.  Roxie married James, son of John Brown, and moved to Cincinnati, where they lived for

Page 540 -
some years; she died about 1837 or 1838.  George married Melinda, daughter of Michael Pindell; lived a year on the Pindell farm, and moved to Eagle township, where he still lives.  Elias inherited the home farm on Straight Creek, where he lived until his death, Jan. 7, 1881; he never married.  John M. married Lettie, daughter of David Newman; settled on Straight Creek, where Joel Martin now lives, where he lived for five or six years., and went to Indiana in 1850, where he still lives; his wife died several years since.  Elizabeth married Caleb Shreves; lived for a year or two on the Richard Hewitt farm, then moved to near Russellville, where she died a year or two afterward.  Lucy J. married J. F. Abbott, son of Joseph Abbott; they lived on Straight Creek, part of the time on the home farm, then bought of J. M. Abbott and lived there some years, where she died.  Her husband sold this farm to Joel Martin, and is now living in Clermont County.

     Silas Abbott, son of Joseph and Esther Abbott, and brother of John Abbott, married Lettie, daughter of Greer Brown, and settled where Abraham Berry now lives, between Straight Creek and West Fork, where he lived until his death.  His wife lived there for some years afterward, when she died.  Jane, sister of Silas, married Joseph Reynolds; moved to a farm near Carlisle, where they lived until their death.

     Joseph, youngest son of Joseph and Esther Abbott, married Rhoda Masterson in Bracken County, Ky.; lived on the home farm on Straight Creek (now owned by John E. Brown) until his death.  His widow lived there for several years afterward, and died in Missouri while on a visit to her children.

     Greer Brown came with Joseph Abbott, after the Revolutionary war, and located his claim with him on the waters of Straight Creek, and came and settled on the farm where William Flaugher now lives, where he died, and was buried in the Abbott Burying-Ground.  His wife died in Kentucky.  Lettie, daughter of Greer Brown, married Silas Abbott, and Ann, sister to Lettie, married David, son of Joseph Newman, and lived at the home place, where they died.

     James Dunn came from Virginia about 1800, and settled on the west bank of Straight Creek, about one mile below the present site of Arnheim.  Henry Dunn, son of James Dunn, was born in Monongalia County, Va., Jan. 6, 1779 He married Nancy Pindell, and came to Franklin Township at the same time as his father, and settled on land now owned by Adam Bauer, opposite where Christian Bauer now lives.  After the formation of Franklin Township, the first election was held at his house.  He lived here until the spring of 1832, when he sold out and moved to Illinois with ox teams, but, not being satisfied, he returned in September of the same year, and bought of Dennis Springer, of Virginia, 533 acres of land in Washington Township (the present village of Brownstown being on a part of it).  The land was divided into tracts, and prices fixed on each tract.  He paid $1.25 per acre for the whole.  His son Rolla took one tract (116 acres) at 75 cents per acre, and Levi 112 acres at the same price.  His wife dying, he married the widow of V. D. Carbery. and they lived there during the rest of their lives.  There were born to Henry and Nancy (Pindell) Dunn twelve children, viz.: Roanna, Maria, Wilson, Rolla, Levi, Sarah, Elizabeth, Pindell, Nancy, Henry and JaneRoannn married Henry Straight, and they moved to Illinois, and there died.  Maria married Gardner Curtis, and they lived on east side of Straight Creek, and, about 1832, joined the Mormons and went to Nauvoo; after the Mormon war at that place, they came back to Ohio, then went to Utah, and are both now dead.  Wilson Dunn married Rachel Parker, and lived in Georgetown and worked for Thomas Jennings (being a tanner) in the old Grant Tannery.  He went from there to Illinois, where he now lives. Rolla, married Paulina Lucas; lived in Wash-

Page 541 -
ington Township; laid out Brownstown, and, some years ago, moved to Illinois, where he now lives.  Levi was born in 1813, and went with bis father to Illinois in 1832, driving two yoke of oxen to a wagon; while there, he enlisted in Capt. Payne’s company, in the Black Hawk war; he was with the command for a day or two, but his father, wishing to come back to Ohio, induced a man named Brown to take his place, and he was allowed to return.  A short time afterward, Brown, while out with a team, was killed by the Indians, who took the horses and escaped.  In 1834, Levi married Margaret Lucas; bought 112 acres of land of his father (where Robert Dunn now lives) and cleared up this farm, where he lived until 1856, when he bought where he now resides (288 acres), of George Bohrer, and has lived there ever since; his wife died while in Washington Township, and he married Mrs. Rebecca Kratzer.  About 1833, he hewed a set of house-logs for Jesse R. Grant, the house being for Mr. Grant’s sister, Mrs. Margaret Marshall, and was built in Georgetown, where Andrew Armstrong now lives; he boarded with Mrs. Marshall, who, at that time, lived in what is known as German Row.  About 1836, he took the job of hewing for J. R. Grant the timbers for lining the jail then about to be erected, boarding with Noah Ellis, who lived about a mile north of Georgetown, on the farm now owned by F. M. Tracy; before he completed the job, however, he cut his foot badly, and had to give it up; he was taken home on a horse, loaned for the purpose by the late Gen. Thomas L. Hamer.  Eli married Mary Parker; moved to Iowa in 1856, where they still live.  Sarah married William M. Straight, and moved to Iowa in 1856.  Elizabeth married Stephen Parker (brother of Rachel and Mary); lived in Jackson Township until the death of her husband; she afterward married Allen Hendrixson, and they are still living in this township, on the Ripley & Arnheim Turnpike.  Pindell married Ann Owens, and lived at Brownstown for some years, where his wife died; he afterward married Catherine Padgett, and now lives in Warren County, but is about to move to Colorado, where he has two sons.  Nancy married Uriah Lowderback, and moved to Brazil, Ind., where they now live.  Henry married Lydia, daughter of Aaron Purdum, and lived on a farm in Washington Township; his wife died, and he married Amelia Lowderback and moved to Sardinia, where he formed a partnership with the late James McIntyre in merchandising, and died about 1876.  Jane married James Prine, and is now living in Eagle Township, near South Fincastle.

     Ferrel Dunn, son of James Dunn, settled on Straight Creek, just above his father, on the farm where Conrad Kattein now lives.

     Benjamin Hays settled on the farm on the opposite side of the creek, which is also owned by Conrad Kattein.

     Rev. Charles B. Smith, or, as he is more familiarly spoken of by those who remember him, “Uncle Charlie Smith,” was born in Maryland Nov. 25, 1765, and married his cousin, Lucy Burgess.  His father gave him some twenty negroes, and also some three or four hundred acres of land in Kentucky.  He, however, did not believe that slavery was right, and acted according to his convictions and gave his negroes their freedom.  He did nothing with his land in Kentucky, never going near it, but came to the free territory which now constitutes the proud State of Ohio.  Here he settled on the farm just west of Arnheim, known as the James Ball farm, and lived about where George Yockey now lives.  (This farm is now divided, Joseph List owning a part of it.)  How long he remained here we have not been able to ascertain.  James Ball owned and lived on it afterward, and it is probable that he sold to Ball.  He bought the farm now owned by Matthias Arn in 1818, fifty acres of Jesse Wood in March, and, in June of the same year, fifty acres of Ezekiel Thorp and Hannah Reed, administrator and administratrix of Luther Reed, deceased.

Page 542 -
Here he lived until he sold to Balthazer Yecko, in 1831, and removed to New Market, Highland County, and died Nov. 25, 1844.  His remains were brought back to the held of his labors, and buried among his congregation, in the old Baptist Churchyard on Straight Creek.  His tombstone bears this inscription:

" Sacred to the Memory of
     "Charles Burgess Smith,
          "Who was Born November the 25th,
               "1765,

"and after serving his generation as a Regular Baptist preacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for nearly fifty years.
               "Died Nov. 25, 1844, aged seventy-nine years."
     His widow died in Russellville, at the residence of her son William about Jan. 1, 1852.
     His widow died in Russellville, at the residence of her son William, about Jan. 1, 1852.
     There were born to Charles B. Smith and wife fourteen children, nine of whom lived to grow up - Walter, Mary, William, Lucy, Abraham, Hays, Sarah Ann, George and CharlesWilliam married Patience Lawson in Kentucky, and lived in Russellville for many years, where he kept a store; his wife died Feb. 16, 1848, aged forty-seven years live months and three days, and was buried in the old Baptist Graveyard, by the side of Charles B. Smith; William married again, and, after some years, went to Illinois, where he died.  Lucy married Peter RunyonMcCord Brady settled on Straight Creek, opposite the present village of Arnheim.  The farm is now divided, part owned by George Snider, part by the Lutheran Church and part by Conrad Kattein.

     James Ball came to Ohio from North Carolina in 1808, and settled on the North Fork of White Oak, where he lived for some years.  He afterward bought the farm west of Arnheim, part of which is now owned by Joseph List, but at that time it extended to what is Main street of the village.  Here he remained until his death, which occurred May 27, 1849, in the seventy-fifth year of his age.  He was one of the leading members of the Straight Creek Baptist society, and took an active part m building the old brick church above Arnheim, in the yard of which he and his wife are buried.  His wife lived until Aug. 20, 1855, when she died, in the seventy-eighth year of her age.

     Joseph Stansberry married Sarah Lavorce in New Jersey, and moved to Virginia, and there were born to them Josiah, John, Thomas, Isaac and Mary.  The father died in Virginia, and his widow married Jacob Lucas, and to them were born Asahel and Amelia.  The Stansberry family (with the exception of Josiah) and Jacob Lucas, came to Ohio and settled on the east side of Straight Creek.  John Stansberry was born Nov. 18, 1792, and came to Franklin Township with his mother and step-father. Jacob Lucas, about 1810.  He enlisted in the army in 1812, and was one of the command surrendered to the British by Gen. Hull in August of that year.  He came home, and, July 4, 1813, married Rebecca, daughter of George Washburne.  She was born Feb. 20, 1794.  They built a house and went to housekeeping on the east side of the creek, on her father’s farm, and there lived for several years, and then moved to the farm on Wardlow’s Run, where they resided until the death of Mr. Stansberry, Jan. 3, 1880.  His widow is still living, with her son, E. A. Stansberry, in Scott Township, near White Oak Valley.  Thomas Stansberry came at the same time and married Margaret Lowderback.  He lived and died on his farm on West Fork.  (The farm is now owned by Christian Kieffer.)  Isaac Stansberry, born Dec. 15, 1799, came with his brothers, and, in August, 1817, married Anna Harris, who was born Mar. 7, 1799.  They settled on a farm owned by Thomas Harris (his father-in-law) on West Fork, and, in a few years, he bought the part east of the creek, and on which

Page 543 -
they moved (fifty-two and a half acres), and have ever since lived there. Mary Stansberry came with her mother and brothers.  She married Adam Srofe, who bought a farm near Buford, Highland County, where they lived and died.  Josiah Stansberry married Elizabeth Sheerer in Virginia, and came to Franklin Township about 1817, and settled where Frederick Stoehr now lives, and afterward moved to the west side of the creek, on part of the land known as the Lewis Ball farm, now owned by Adam Wells, where he died.  Asahel Lucas, son of Jacob Lucas, married Jane Lucas, and died about three years ago.  His widow is still living.  Amelia Lucas married James Brady, and both died in 1876.

     Benjamin Wells was born in Wales, and came with his father, Charles Wells, to the United States while they were colonies of Great Britain, and settled in Maryland, and there married Miss Rice, and, in the Revolution, served the colonies on shipboard, and had one hand disabled.  After the death of his wife, he went to Virginia and married Mary Aultz, and lived there some years, where their children - Nancy, Jacob, Sallie, Henry and Adam - were born.  They came down the river on a raft, and landed at the mouth of Red Oak Creek in 1810; rented of John Mann, near the “Beech Woods,” where they lived for about five years, and bought 100 acres of land of John Springer, on the east side of Straight Creek, where they moved the year following.  (Part of this land is now owned by M. B. Smith, and part by J. W. Barnes.)  After they came to Ohio, Catherine, Jane, Diademia, Elizabeth and Mary were born Nancy was married three times.  Her first husband was Hezekiah Lindsey; the second, William Dye, who was killed by a fall from his wagon between Georgetown and Higginsport; and the third was Allen Jones.  She moved to Higginsport, and died in 1880.  Jacob married Jemima Rice, moved to Indiana and died in 1866.  Sallie married Andrew Newman and moved to Illinois.  Henry married Elsie Devore and moved to Washington Township, and there died.  Adam was born in 1805, and, in 1829, married Elizabeth Rice, who died in 1842, and in 1844 he married Rhoda, youngest daughter of Josiah Stansberry.  They are living on West Fork, where they have lived for many years.  Catherine married David Rich, and they moved to the farm north of Arnheim now owned by Rudolph Kress, where she died.  Jane married Samuel Smith, and lived for some years on the West Fork of Eagle Creek, then moved to Indiana, where her husband died.  She and her children came back to Franklin Township, where she married David Day, and, after some years, went to Missouri, and there her second husband died.  Diademia married Cecil Shaw, and moved lo Russellville, where she died.  Elizabeth died when about eighteen years of age, and Mary died when a child.

     Terry Womacks was born in Virginia in 1789, and came to Ohio in 1806, and, in 1815, married Roxie, youngest daughter of Joseph Reynolds, who settled in Jackson Township in 1802.  They settled on what is known as the Womacks farm, in Franklin Township, and here lived and died.  There were born to them William H., Marinda D., Willshire, Wesley, Willis, Peter S., Jefferson, Ulyssess G., Ellen, Lemuel and Francis M.  William H. married Elizabeth Doty, and moved to Ripley, where he lived a short time, and moved to Rock Island County, Ill., where he still lives.  Marinda married John Milligan, and moved to Byrd Township, where they are now residing.  Willshire married Ellen Inskeep, who died in 1855, and he afterward married Mrs. Roush.  They moved to Missouri, and he enlisted in the Confederate army.  He was in the battle of Pea Ridge, and died from disease while in the Confederate service; his widow return to Ohio, and is now living in Adams County.  Wesley and Willis died when quite young.  Peter S. married Amanda Heaton in 1848, and she died in1870, and, in 1874, he married Jennie

Page 544 -
Hunter.  They live near Russellville, on the Russel Shaw farm.  Jefferson was accidentally killed by a gun when seventeen.  Ulysses G. married a Miss Moore, and lives in Missouri.  Lemuel served three yeas in the Fourth Ohio Independent Cavalry Company during the war of the rebellion, and is now living in Des Moines, Iowa.  Frank M. married Miss Rees and moved to Iowa, where they were living when last heard from.
     Since 1825, there was been added a large German element to the population of Franklin Township, who, with their descendants, form a large proportion of the present inhabitants.
     George Bohrer, born in Germany, came to this township in 1826, and bought of Hugh Meharry about five hundred acres of land, including the farm on which Levi Dunn now lives, and afterward bought the rest of the survey (1,500 acres).  He also bought the Mosely Survey (850 acres), and between 800 and 900 acres of the Fox Survey, but lost about two hundred acres of the latter, as he missed one heir, who afterward sold his interest to Luther Reed.  He built the house where Levi Dunn lives, Basil Waters, then of Georgetown, building the brick work, and Samuel Tucker doing the carpenter work.  He built a horse mill on the run below his house, for grinding corn and wheat; also put up a still-house, and, on the farm now owned by his son Jacob, he built a steam saw-mill.  In 1856, he sold out and moved to Illinois; bought a farm near Bloomington, but afterward gave it to his son Lewis and moved into the city, where he died in December, 1870.

     Frederic Faul came with George Bohrer, and lived on the farm now owned by Frederic Stoehr.

     About 1828, Michael Ziegler, Philip Faul and George Kloeckner came with their families and about 1830, Frederic Neu, Jacob Arn, John Kautz, with their families, Mrs. Kautz, with her sons George and Sebastian, and three daughters.

     George A. Kress, John A. Kress, Phillip Miller, Balthazer Yecko, George Bohl and Peter Schatzman, with their families, settled in the township about 1831.  Peter Biery and John Lauth, with their families, the same year; also Jacob Gross, with Valentine Dahl and family, Conrad Bauer and family, Lewis Weaver and Francis Hauck.

     In 1832, Christian Wahl and Adam Bahl, with their families.  Succeeding these came Frederic Gwinner, Joseph Weber, John J. Stephen, Christian Reisinger, George Biehn, Charles Hauselman, Matthias Arn, John Weisbrodt, Christoher Steinmann, Lewis Braun, Frederic Henges, John Ferdinand, Frederic Handman, Jacob Hook, Christian Kieffer and many others.

     Frecerick Gwinner came about 1833, and started a brewery on Straight Creek.  He sold out to Conrad Kattein, who, for many years, manufactured the well-known Arnheim beer, which had a reputation far and wide.  About three years ago, Kattein sold to his son Lewis, who built a brewery in the village of Arnheim, put in an engine and added a pair of buhrs for grinding corn.  The brewery is not now in operation.

ARNHEIM.

     Arnheim, the only village in the township, was laid out on land owned by Jacob Arn, for whom the village was named (Arn’s Home), by John D. White, County Surveyor, Nov. 4, 1837, John A. Kress and Frederick Handman being chain-carriers.  On July 5, 1838, the addition to Arnheim comprising that portion north of and including Jackson street was laid out; Josiah Wolcott and Elijah Lindsey, chain- carriers.  The harvest before, Thomas Lindsey cradled a crop of wheat for Mr. Arn on the site of the village.  Francis Feike came from Austria and started a tan-yard where Kautz’s store  

Page 545 -
now is about 1831.  He bought the land of James Ball (whose daughter he married), and, in a few yars, sold to John Lauth and went to Cincinnati.  He afterward went to Sardinia, where he established a tan-yard.  Hill D. Stayton had a tan-yard on Sycamore Run about the same time, and for some years afterward.

     Lewis Ball started a store where G. C. Reisinger now lives, and Wilson Ball one where the stable of Frederic Kautz now stands. William Cappe built where Charles Miller lives, and kept hotel, groceries and liquors.  After Arnheim was laid out, Frederic Handman bought the lot and built the house where John J. Bohrer lives. Jacob S. Campbell built a log house opposite Kautz’s store, and a black smith shop north of his house.  He was the first Postmaster of the village.  Augustus Straight built the house on the hill where Martin List now lives (where Lewis Braun lived for many years), and Miller Straight built the house where Conrad Hagins lives; he also kept a drinking saloon, but soon sold out.  Frederick Henges built the house now owned by Stephen Bohrer, at the corner of Water street and the Sardinia road, and John Ferdinand the one where his widow now lives.  Dr. Joseph T. Richardson built where Henry Bohl lives, and sold it to members of the German Reformed Church for a parsonage, and built where E. A. Lindsey lives, and there resided for several years.  He was the first physician who settled in Arnheim, and was a member of the Fifty-third General Assembly, 1858-60, elected on the Democratic ticket.  He sold his property to John Haas and moved to Higginsport.  John Haas built an addition to the house for a store, and lived here until his death.  E. A. Lindsey then bought the property, where he still lives, and keeps a general variety store, and is Postmaster.  John Lauth sold to A. C. H. Cotterill, who kept a store and whisky saloon; he afterward bought the house where Charles Miller now lives, kept store there for several years, sold out and went to New Hope.  Lewis Ball sold his store to Messrs. Allen & Davis, Davis building the house where John Mueller now lives.  They remained in partnership until the death of Allen, after which W. C. Davis continued the business, and, when Campbell left Arnheim, was appointed Postmaster.  He sold out, and Frederick Handman opened a store in the same building, and bought the John Lauth property, remodeled it, building an addition for a dwelling, where he lived and kept store for many years, doing a large business.  He was Postmaster and Notary Public.  In 1873, he made an assignment, and shortly moved to Kentucky, and died in Germany while on a visit.
     In 1875, Frederic Kautz and P. W. Gross started a store at Handman’s old stand, under the firm name of Kautz & Gross, and, after about three years, Gross retired, and the business is still carried on by Kautz Thomas Lindsey bought out A C. H. Cotterill; lived there for nine years, keeping groceries and liquors, and sold to R. B. Dunn, who continued the business for several years. He was also appointed Postmaster, and, when he left Arnheim, G. C. Reisenger became his successor, and was Postmaster until 1881, when he resigned, and E. A. Lindsey was appointed.  There are at present, in Arnheim two stores, one blacksmith shop, one wagon shop, one cabinet-maker and undertaker, one tailor, one house carpenter, one carpenter and plasterer, one hotel and saloon, one brewery (but not in operation), one tobacco warehouse (owned by E. A. Lindsey, but O. B. Moore, of Sardinia, is now there prizing tobacco), one Catholic Church, and schoolhouse of Subdistrict No. 5, the Lutheran and German Reformed Churches being just outside of the village.  The population by the census of 1880 was ninety-eight.

MILLS.

     What is known as the Abbott Mill, now owned by James Martin, was, until 1853, in Franklin Township.  The first mill was built at a very early day,

Page 546 -
by Jesse Thompson, and, after his death, his sons, James and Samuel, operated it for some years, and sold to John Abbott, who afterward built the present mill, some fifty or more years ago.

     George Schultz built a mill on Straight Creek, on the farm now owned by the writer, not far from 1820, but it did little good; when the creek was low, there would not be sufficient water come into the mill-race, and when it was high, the water would back up on the wheel, there not being sufficient fall just below the mill; some parts of this one were used in the present Abbott Mill.

     Jacob Newman built a log horse mill on the farm now owned by Allen Hendrixson, every one taking a grist furnishing the horses and doing his own grinding.  Wheat was ground the same as corn, and sifted by hand.  Charles Abbott says he once stayed two days and one night at this mill, going home occasionally for something to eat, and feed for his horses, not daring to take them away, for by so doing he would lose his turn.  Thomas Harris bought this mill, moved it to his farm on West Fork, and, after his death, James Dennis bought and operated it for several years.

     John Carbery also built a mill above the present site of Arnheim, on Sycamore Run.

     George Bohrer built a mill with tread-wheel.  In dry times, this mill was kept going day and night.  He sold it to Frederic Haudman, who moved it to Arnheim, and changed it so the horses were hitched to levers.  It was used occasionally for grinding corn as late as 1865.  There are three steam saw-mills now owned in the township, two stationary and one portable.
     In 1832, George Bohrer built a steam saw mill on the farm now owned by Jacob Bohrer.  He sold half of his interest to Samuel G. Moore, and, about 1836 or 1847, they moved it to where Inskeep’s Mill now stands.  Moore sold his half to Lemuel Postlewaite, and, in 1845, Job and Fountain Inskeep bought Postlewaite’s interest, and ran the mill, in company with Bohrer, until 1847, when they bought his half.  They ran it in company until 1867, when Job bought his brother’s interest.  In 1872, he put in a spoke-lathe, felloe- benders, planer, etc., and in 1881 he put in a new engine, boiler and circular saws, and has a pair of French buhrs on which to grind corn.
     Tracy’s steam saw-mill, in the northeastern part of the township, was built by Daniel Markley about 1853.  He sold to M. D. Barngrover about 1870.  In 1874, Barngrover sold to Tracy & Waters, and, about 1879, Waters sold his interest to Martin Tracy, and afterward Ira Tracy sold his interest to his son Frank.  It is now owned by Martin and Frank Tracy, but is rented by Randolph Waters, who is now running it.  There is a pair of buhrs in this mill on which corn is ground every Tuesday and Friday.
     G. C. Reisinger & Co. have a large portable steam saw-mill in the township.  It was purchased new in 1881, and is owned by G. C. Reisinger, Lewis Kattein and Adam and
Jacob Bohrer.

CHURCHES.*

     The first church built in the township, and probably in the county, was the Straight Creek Baptist Church, built of round logs at a very early day, on Straight Creek, just above the present village of Arnheim, on ground given by James Prickett.  This society was organized by Rev. Charles B. Smith, who preached at the cabins of the settlers and in the woods until the log church was built.  As the church became old and the members more numerous, they built (not far from 1820) the brick church which is now in ruins.  The water for making the brick was hauled in an ox-cart by William Long, now of Eagle Township, when a small boy, and the brick made by Woodbeck Low, the

---------------
     * The sketch of St. Mary's Catholic Church will be found in the general history of the county.

Page 547 -


F. M. Wardlow

Page 548 - BLANK PAGE

Page 549 -
being tramped by oxen; the pits where this was done still remain in the churchyard.  We have tried to find some record of the members of this church and the date of its organization, and, although we've searched most diligently in six townships, the search has been unavailing.  Stout Drake, who died in Pleasant Township some four years since, was for many years Secretary, and had the records, but we find no trace of them since his death.

     Lutheran Church - This church was organized in 1832, by Rev. Gerhardt.  The members bought three-quarters of an acre of ground of Louis Weaver, and on it erected a log building.  Among the members were Peter Schatzman, George Bohl, Peter Biery, Michael Ziegler, Phillip Faul, Frederic Neu, Adam Bohl, Louis Weaver, Valentine Bauer, Jacob Arn, John Kautz and Sebastian Kautz.  In 1846, a division occurred in the church, and some eleven or twelve families withdrew and organized the German Reformed Church.  The present brick church was built A. D. 1852, Henery Kress doing the brick work and plastering.

     German Reformed Church. - This church was organized in 1845, by Rev. F. Wahl.  Among the members at that time were Jacob Gross, George P. Biery, Christopher Steinmann, Valentine Schaeffer, Peter Bauer, Adam Bauer, Adam Bohl, Frederic Ringeiser, Peter Mattell, Jacob Bohrer and Francis Hauck.  They built the church A. D. 1847, on half an acre of ground bought of James Ball, and united with the German Reformed Synod of Ohio, which now belongs to the Cincinnati Classes of the Central Ohio Synod.  The same pastor is in charge of this congregation and the one at Higginsport

     The late L. S. Van Anda, then of Sardinia, built the church, and it was plastered by P. R. Kinkead.

     West Fork Church. - This society was first organized Sept. 17, 1842, by Elder N. Dawson on Middle Run, in Washington Township, at the house of Charles Thompson, where Charles C. Miller now lives, with fourteen members.  June 27, 1846, “the church met at the new meeting-house on West Fork.” Dec. 25, 1854, a division occurred, part of the members continuing as the church of Christ at West Fork (or, as it is known in the proceedings, at Republican), and part uniting with the society at Immanuel’s Chapel, in Jackson Township.
     The church went down in 1862.  In 1864, it was re-organized, with seven- teen members, and continued as such organization until, under the charge of Elder W. H. Robinson.  In 1867, it joined the Christian Union Conference, and has since been known as the Christian Union Church.  There has been no regular service since 1879.

CEMETERIES.

     There are six burying-grounds in the township - the Catholic Cemetery, where the old Catholic Church was built; one at each of the others; the old Straight Creek Baptist, the Lutheran, the German Reformed, and the West Fork, or Christian Union Churches, and the one on the farm owned by Benjamin Wardlow, known as the Abbott Burying-Ground.  The latter, and those at the old Baptist and West Fork Churches, are public burying-grounds, and in them are buried most of the pioneers of the township.  Here “the multitude comes, like the flower or the weed, that withers away to let others succeed.”  In the others, only the families of those connected with the respective churches are buried.

SCHOOLS.

     Franklin Township for many years was divided into six school districts, but the house of Subdistrict No. 4 burned down in the winter of 1872-73, and in the spring that subdistrict was divided, and at the present time there are seven subdistricts in the township.  All the schoolhouses in the township

Page 550 -
are frame, with the exception of the one in Arnheim (Subdistrict No. 5), which is of brick.  The latter and the one in Subdistrict No. 2 are old houses; the others have been built since the spring of 1873.  The negroes in the western part of the township are, for school purposes, attached to Scott Township, in which the schoolhouse is situated.

FRANKLIN GRANGE.

     Franklin Grange, of the Patrons of Husbandry, was organized Jan. 2, 1874, the charter members being E. T. Reed, M. G. Ziegler, C. F. Schatzman, Joseph Schatzman, J. T. Schatzman, Allen Hendrixson, W. M. Hendrixson, L. M. Wolcott, Levi Myers, Joseph Lucas, Daily Kratzer, Jacob Miller, Louisa Wolcott, M. A. Hendrixson, Elvira Reed and Mary Miller. The same year, they built a neat and commodious hall, with a storeroom in the first story, on the Ripley & Arnheim Turnpike, on ground bought of Joseph Lucas. At the present time, the officers are: C. F. Schatzman, Master; Levi Myers, Overseer; B. W. Gordon, Lecturer; W. M. Hendrixson, Steward; William Bauer, Assistant Steward; Allen Hendrixson, Chaplain; Joseph Schatzman, Treasurer; M. A. Hendrixson, Secretary; M. B. Smith, Gate-Keeper; Luella Schatzman, Ceres; Mary Miller, Pomona; Abigail Smith, Flora; and Louisa Wolcott, Lady Assistant Steward.
     The Georgetown & Sardinia Railroad, now in course of construction, passes through the western part of the township across its entire width.  The Ripley & Arnheim Turnpike is the only macadamized road in the township.  This enters it at the south central part, and extends in a northerly direction, to Arnheim, three-fourths of the distance across the township.

TOWNSHIP OFFICERS.

     In the Township Clerk’s books there is no account of the election held at the house of Henry Dunn in January, 1823, but we find that John McBeath, Jacob Pindell and John Lindsey were elected Trustees, and Hezekiah Lindsey, Township Clerk.  Mar. 3, 1823, the Trustees met and agreed that the next election for township officers should be held at the house of Jacob Springer, on the first Monday of April next.  At this meeting, they selected for Grand Jurors, Phillip Lindsey, Enoch Laycock, Henry Dunn and David Thorp; for Petit Jurors, Gabriel Pindell, James Jacobs and Andrew Moore; and laid off four road districts.  On April 26, the additional part of the township was divided into two districts, making Shotpouch Run the dividing line.  At this meeting, the schoolhouse near John Lindsey’s was selected for holding the elections for the township.  This schoolhouse stood about where West Fork Church now stands.  The Supervisors for the several road districts were John Fowler, Richard Hewitt, Ezekiel Roddy, John Bunner, James McFadden and Lemuel Monahan.  On Monday, Mar. 1, 1824, at a meeting of the Trustees, they settled with the Supervisors, James McFadden reporting that all hands in his district had worked, but made no charge for his services; the others were each allowed $1.50 for their services, except Ezekiel Roddy, John Bunner and Richard Hewitt; they reported that all hands had worked in their respective districts except one day in each; this was deducted from their allowance, and an order for 50 cents each drawn.
     In 1825, township officers were: Trustees, John Brown, Benjamin Smith and Jacob Pindell; Constables, H. Lindsey, Joseph Newman and James Mc Fadden; Lister, H. Lindsey; Overseers of Poor, G. Anderson and Isaac Stansberry; Fence Viewers, James Lucas and Henry Prickett; Supervisors, D. Reynolds. G. Anderson, William Brown, Richard Hewitt, Sr., G. Pindell, J. Herron, Joel Martin and William Lindsey. “ October 11, Uriah Springer sworn to office of Trustee to fill vacancy caused by death of J. Pindell.”

Page 551 -

     1826 - Trustees, John Lindsey, William Brown and Uriah Springer; Clerk, H. Lindsey; Lister, H. Lindsey; Constables, James Lindsey, E. C. Sellenberger and James Prickett; Overseers of Poor, E. Roddy and Seth Flowers; Supervisors, James Prickett, Sr., Michael Pindell, Davis Pindell, Hiram Higgins, Silas Abbott, Enoch Laycock, John Rich, John T. Wills, Ezra Pool and Jacob Kratzer; Fence Viewers, John Clark and Dudley Prickett.
     1827. - Trustees, Uriah Springer, Lawrence Rose and William Brown; Constables, James Robins, James Lindsey and Thomas Grogan; Clerk, H. Lindsey; Treasurer, Joseph Rich; Supervisors, J. Pitzer, L. Remely, T. Silman, D. Reynolds, J. Woods, D. Newman, J. Carbery, R. Bunner and D. Johns; Overseers of Poor, P. Lindsey and Martin Gatts.
     1828 - Trustees, John Lindsey, U. Springer and E. C. Sellenberger; Constables, Henry Straight, T. Silman and James McFadden; Treasurer, Nicholas Smith; Overseers of Poor, Martin Gatts and Everett D. Smith; Fence Viewers, Josiah Carbery and S. Pindell; Supervisors, John Forsythe, D. D. Brown, John T. Wills, John Fields, Asahel Lucas, Silas Abbott and Henry Young.
     1829 - Trustees, John Lindsey, Uriah Springer and William Brown; Clerk, Michael Pindell; Treasurer, Benjamin Hays; Supervisors, Josiah Lucas, Samuel Pindell, Enoch Laycock, Thomas Pindell, Jr., Ferrel Dunn, John Lafabre, Joseph Abbott and James Gilman; Fence Viewers, Augustus Straight and Williaw Evans; Overseers of Poor, James Ball and Phillip Lindsey; Treasurer, Terry Womacks.
     1830 - Trustees, Uriah Springer, John Lindsey and Terry Womacks; Clerk, Greer Abbott; Constables, Henry Straight and Isaiah Lucas; Overseers of Poor, Uriah Springer and John Brown; Supervisors, John Brady, V. D. Carbery, David M. Pindell, Henry Young, Ferrel Dunn, Richard Brown, William Masterson and Peter Runyon; Treasurer, Gabriel Pindell; Fence Viewers, Henry Straight and Silas Abbott.
     1831 - Trustees, Terry Womacks, Uriah Springer and John Lindsey; Clerk, Greer Abbott; Constables, Thompson Lindsey and Isaiah Carbery; Overseers of Poor, Basil McLefresh and John Lafabre; Supervisors, Robert Morrow, Robert Elder, Eli Hewitt, George Reynolds, David Rogers, Augustus Straight, Joseph Long and James Ball; Treasurer, Gabriel Pindell.
     1832 - Trustees, John Lindsey, Terry Womacks and Uriah Springer; Clerk, Samuel Work; Constables, Thomas Lindsey and Lemuel Rachford; Treasurer, Gabriel Pindell; Supervisors, Basil McLefresh, Charles Abbott, Asahel Lucas, Issac Bunner, James Pindell, Uriah Springer, V. D. Carbery and Terry Womacks; Overseers of Poor, John Bunner and David Newman; Fence Viewers, John Lafabre, David Rogers and Nathaniel C. Heaton.
     The dates of Commissions of Justices of the Peace for Franklin Township for the above time are as follows: Uriah Springer, May 13, 1822; John Lindsey, Jan. 13 1823; Joseph Newman, Jan. 13, 1823: Uriah Springer, Apr. 20, 1825; Lawrence Rose, Jan. 7, 1826; John Lindsey, Jan. 7, 1826; Ma_in Gatts, Jan. 14, 1828; John Lindsey, Jan. 12, 1829; John Lindsey, Dec. 31, 1831; Uriah Springer, Apr. 13, 1832.  This is the last record of this kind until 1853, and, with the exception of Township Clerk, we find no record of the officers until 1858.
     Justices of the Peace since 1853, with dates of commission, are as follows: Thompson Lindsey, May 2, 1853; Samuel Myers, June 16, 1854; William C. Davis, Apr. 28, 1856; James T. Erwin, Oct. 28, 1858; Joseph Newman, Apr. 12, 1859; James T. Erwin.  Oct. 21, 1861; W. S. Campbell, Apr. 23, 1862; Jacob Hanselman, May 11, 1864; Joseph Ward, Nov. 17, 1864; Jacob Hanselman, Apr. 15, 1867; Joseph Ward, Oct. 12, 1867; H. L. Vance, Apr. 12, 1870; Joseph List, Oct. 18, 1870; J. T. Erwin,

Page 552 -
Apr. 15, 1871; Joseph List, Apr. 18, 1873; J. T. Erwin, Apr. 8, 1874; G. C. Reisinger, Oct. 21, 1876; James T. Erwin, Apr. 17, 1877; G. C. Reisinger, Oct. 27, 1879; and Isaac Waters, Apr. 17, 1880; G. C. Reisinger, re-elected October 10, 1882.
     We find that the following persons were Township Clerk prior to 1868, viz.:  John H. Hallam, in 1838, 1838 and 1840; William Myers, in 1841 and 1842; C. W. Reed, in 1843, 1844 and 1845; Thompson Lindsey, in 1852 and 1853; J. R. Lindsey, in 1854, 1855 and 1856; W. H. Wells, in 1857; W. C. Davis, in 1858, 1859 and 1860; R. B. Dunn, in 1861; W. H. Wells, in 1862; W. S. Campbell, in 1863; E. T. Reed, in 1864; D. W. Sharp, in 1865; R. B. Dunn, in 1866 and 1867.  From this lime, the records have been more fully kept.  The township officers since 1867 have been:
     1868 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, A. J. Jacobs and Job Inskeep; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Treasurer, Joseph List; Assessor, Enoch E. Roney; Constable, Valentine Kaufman; Supervisors, Joseph Schatzman, G. W. Hanselman, A. J. Jacobs, A. Lucas, Adam Bauer, Phillip Kautz and Isaac Waters.
     1869 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Joseph Schatzman and Huston Rhoten; Treasurer, Joseph List; Assessor, E. E. Roney; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Supervisors, Reason Schatzman, G. W. West, A. Shaw, L. Bier, W. A. Waterman, Jacob Weber, C. Arn, Phillip Kautz and Isaac Waters.
     1870 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Huston Rhoten and Joseph Schatzman; Treasurer, Joseph List; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Assessor, E. E. Roney; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, Jonathan Hanselman, W. M. Hendrixson, William Hanselman, L. Bier, John Wells, Jacob Weber, Jacob Bohrer, Grant Lowderback and Christian Keller.
     1871 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Huston Rhoten and Joseph Schatzman: Treasurer, Peter Bohrer; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Assessor, M. G. Ziegler; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, A. Shaub, Phillip Dunn, Ed Inskeep, C. Sullivan, Charles Elschlager, John Weisbradt, Jacob Bohrer, John Davis and H. A. Palmer.
     1872 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Huston Rhoten and Joseph Schatzman; Treasurer, Peter Bohrer; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Assessor, M. G. Ziegler; Constable, Stephen Myers; Supervisors, Stephen Myers, L. M. Wolcott, S. P. Berry, Harvey Wills, Henry Weber, A. Wells, A. Bauer, William Shaub and C. Keller.
     1873 - Trustees, Joseph Schatzman, M. A. Courts and Huston Rhoten; Treasurer, Peter Bohrer; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Assessor, L. M. Wolcott; Constable, Stephen Myers; Superintendent Free Turnpike, Allen Hendrixson; Supervisors, Jacob Miller, W. M. Hendrixson, W. W. Young, L. Bier, A. Wells, G. Hauck, F. Hanselman, William Shaub and James T. Erwin.
     1874 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Huston Rhoten and Joseph Schatzman; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Assessor, L. M. Wolcott; Treasurer, P. Bohrer; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, L. Bier, Hugh Wardlow, Rudolph Kress, S. P. Berry, William Ramsey, Peter Forthoffer, Isaac Waters, Adam Wells, Adam Bauer and Levi Myers.
     1875 - Trustees, M. A. Courts, Huston Rhoten and Joseph Schatzman; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Treasurer, Peter Bohrer; Assessor, W. H. W'ells; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, Stephen Myers, Hugh Wardlow, W. W. Young, L. Bier, Joseph List, Jacob Bohrer, Rudolph Kress and Fred Yochem.
     1876 - Trustees, G. W. Laycock, A. J. Jacobs and Phillip Stephen; Clerk, G. C. Reisinger; Treasurer, S. P. Berry; Assessor, H. F. Pindell; Constable, Stephen Myers; Supervisors, Jacob Miller, G. C. Mannon, William Hansel-

Page 553 -
man, Levi Jacobs, John Wells, Jacob Weber, C. F. Hanselman, J. P. Kautz and Phillip Stephen.
     1877 - Trustees, Phillip Stephen, A. J. Jacobs and G. W. Laycock; Treasurer, S. P. Berry; Clerk, Joseph List; Assessor, H. F. Pindell; Constable, William Shaub; Supervisors, Jacob Miller, Ira Hendrixson, S. P. Berry, L. Bier, John Wells, George Snider, C. F. Hanselman, R. Kress and .P. Faul.
    
1878 - Trustees, A. J. Jacobs, Phillip Stephen and Milford Lowderback; Treasurer, S. P. Berry; Clerk, Joseph List; Assessor, Samuel Kautz; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, Peter Shaub, Ira Hendrixson, James Sullivan, John Wells, Frederick Kautz, F. W. Hanselman, Peter Berry and Phillip Stephen.
     1879 - Trustees, H. F. Pindell, Phillip Stephen and Joseph Schatzman; Clerk, M. B. Smith; Treasurer, S. P. Berry; Assessor, C. F. Schatzman; Constable, J. W. Morrow; Supervisors, Phillip Dunn, F. W. Hanselman, M. A. Courts, Henry Bohl, Christian Bauer, H. F. Pindell, Phillip Stephen, Peter Shaub and John Wells.
     1880 - Trustees, Phillip Stephen, H. F. Pindell, Joseph Schatzman; Treasurer, H. F. Pindell; Clerk, Joseph List; Assessor, C. F. Schatzman; Constable, Joseph Weber; Supervisors, Peter Faul, W. W. Young, Peter Berry, Peter Shaub, A. J. Jacobs, Amos Bunner, George W. Hendrixson, C. F. Schatzman and H. F. Pindell.
     1881 - Trustees, H. F. Pindell, Phillip Stephen and F. W. Hanselman; Clerk, Joseph List; Treasurer, H. F. Pindell; Assessor, Samuel Kautz; Constable, Joseph Weber; Supervisors, J. T. Schatzman, Isaac W. Dunn, W. W. Young, A. D. Ellis, Amos Bunner, Jacob Arn, William Bauer, Peter Berry and Phillip Schweighart.
     1882 - Trustees, H. F. Pindell, Phillip Stephen and F. W. Hanselman; Clerk, Joseph List; Treasurer, H. F. Pindell; Assessor, Samuel Kautz; Constable, Joseph Weber; Supervisors, J. T. Schatzman, W. M. Hendrixson, W. W. Young, A. D. Ellis, Charles Elschlager, George F. Yockey, William Bauer, Phillip Kautz and Phillip Stephen.
     Politically, Franklin Township is strongly Democratic, but in local elections there is no party spirit manifested; but in county, State and Presidential elections, although the people are strictly divided by party lines, good feeling and harmony generally prevail.  Some of the votes cast in the township have been as follows:
     1824 - For Governor, Allen Trimble, 22; Jeremiah Morrow, 99; President, Jackson, 65; Adams, 4; Clay, 7.
     1826 - For Governor, Alexander Campbell, 51; Trimble, 44; John Bigger, 8; Benjamin Tappin, 1.
     1828 - Governor, John W. Campbell, 143; Allen Trimble, 1.
     1830 - Governor, Duncan McArthur, 11; Roberts Lucas, 87.
     1844 - Governor, David Tod, 158; William Bebb, 13; Samuel Lewis, 2.
     1876 - President, S. J. Tilden, 227; R. B. Hayes, 43.
     1877 - Governor, R. M. Bishop, 166; William H. West, 31.
     1880 - Secretary of State, Lang, 225; Townsend, 34.
     1880 - President, W. S. Hancock, 230; J. A. Garfield, 44.
     1881 - Governor, J. W. Bookwalter, 168; Charles Foster, 33.
     1882 - Secretary of State, James W. Newman, 216; Charles Townsend, 27.

POPULATION.

     The census returns show that Franklin Township had a less number of inhabitants in 1880 than in 1870, as follows:  Population in 1870, 1,225; in 1880, 1,195; showing a loss of sixty in the ten years.

 - NEXT - CHAPTER VIII. - PIKE TOWNSHIP

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.