Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


A History & Biographical Cyclopaedia
Butler County, Ohio

With Illustrations and Sketches
of its Representative Men and Pioneers
Publ. by Western Biographical Publishing Co.
Cincinnati, O

pg. 574

UNION TOWNSHIP was organized in 1823, and taken from Liberty.  It is in the extreme south-east of the county.  The south and east portions of the township, in particular, were heavily timbered formerly, the oak predominating.  The south-west was low, swampy, and not regarded as the most valuable.  About eight hundred acres of this land was taken up by Judge Burnet, of Cincinnati.  Benjamin Mead lived on Section 9, now the land on which Port Union stands.  He did some surveying for Judge Symmes.  His property was left to his two sons, Benjamin and Walter, and his three daughters.  Walter Mead was justice of the peace in former times.  The south-east quarter of Section 11 was deeded to William and John Wright, by James Madison, in 1816.  It is now owned by James Patchell, Sen.  His father, James Patchell settled upon this tract in 1830.  He died in 1844, at seventy-two years of age.
     Union Township was settled principally by Marylanders, Pennsylvanians, and Virginians.  The uplands were taken up and settled by resident owners, while the low and swampy lands were purchased and held in large tracts by wealthy parties, such as Judge Burnet, Isaac Hunt, the Stocktons, and others, and were in a manner vacant for a long time.  About the year 1838 Abraham and Lot Smith built a fine merchant and grist-mill on the Miami Canal, in the township, and in 1840 the swamp lands were ditched.  About the same time the Great Miami turnpike road was made through the township.  These improvements, together with chopping the cord-wood and shipping to Cincinnati at a high price, created a new ambition among the people.  Property of all kinds, especially lands, went up to two and afterward to three prices; but the bank panic in the Fall of 1841, which set prices back to what they were seven yeas previously, broke up almost every person that had brought land two or three yeas before that event.
     July 4, 1791, Joseph McMaken made application for a volunteer sixth section in the north-east corner of the fourth section in the second township, east of the Big Miami, in the second entire range, which was the property of John N. Cummins.  He moved on the land eight days before Christmas, 1794, meeting on his way General Wayne returning from the treaty at Greenville.  Mrs. Elizabeth McMaken came out to live with her son some time before 1800, her children having all been married off.  After being out here six or seven years she died, in 1801, at the age of one hundred and one years.  Joseph McMaken died on the 10th of February, 1818, from injuries received by the breaking off of a limb from a tree.  It struck him on the skull and fractured it.  Mrs. McMaken died in September, 1836.
     The earliest settlers in the township were Captain Cox, on Section 22; Joseph McMaken, Section 4; George Van Ness, Section 5; Thomas Huron, Mr. Travis, Section 35; and Brice Virgin, who afterwards went up to Princeton.  Ayres settled just south of Westchester; Irwin settled in the south part of the township, and was an old acquaintance of McMaken's, coming from the same neighborhood in Pennsylvania.  Seward came out in 1797, and lived in McMaken's house while waiting for his own cabin to be put up.
     Samuel Seward, an old Revolutionary soldier, died on the 22d of April, 1828, at his residence, in the seventy-fourth year of his age.  He left upward of one hundred descendants.  The previous day Mr. Abraham Montgomery, also a soldier of the Revolution, had died.  Mr. Seward and Mr. Montgomery had been in their boyhood schoolmates.  Together they joined their country's standard, and in the army they were messmates.  Upon the close of the war, they retired from the army, and resided in the neighborhood of each other, in Union Township, Butler County.  They departed this life only separated by death about four hours.

     The justices of the peace of this township have been:

1803 - William Symmes
1809 - Michael Ayers
1818 - James Cummins
1826 - Joseph H. McMaken
1829 - Walter P. Mead
1830 - William Parrish
1832 - Walter P. Mead
1833 - William Perrish
1835 - Samuel McLean
1836 - John Wakefield
1839 - Mark C. McMaken, Michael Dalton, John Wakefield
1841 - Mark C. McMaken
1843 - Robert W. McClelland
and since that date:
  John Wakefield
  Z. P. Gard
  Alexander Miller
  James Patchell
  James Middleton
  William Perine
  Perry Wright
  Z. P. Gard
  W. W. Van Hise
  James V. Spellman
  Z. W. Selby
  A. S. Hutchison

     The following are the post-offices in this township, and the names of the Postmasters:

Westchester - This place was originally known to the post-office department as Chester.  Under that title it had two postmasters.
Enos Singer was appointed April 1, 1824, and
James Freeman August 2, 1826
On Oct. 2, 1826, it was changed to Westchester.
Abraham Brewer was appointed November, 5, 1828;
John S. Davis Sept. 21, 1830;
James Van Hise May 24, 1845;
Daniel Perine July 5, 1849;
James Jackson March 4, 1852;
Zadock Wharton April 4, 1855;
William W. Van Hise April 15, 1858;
David W. Williamson June 2, 1863;
Charles W. Snyder March 27, 1866;
David W. Williamson February 25, 1867;
George Snyder January 6, 1871
James S. Jeffers October 2, 1871;
Dana L. Taylor March 14, 874; and
Edwin P. Jackson November 24, 1875
Pisgah -
William Van Hose December 21, 1843;
David Conover Dec. 12, 1850;
William W. Van Hise August 8, 1853;
David Conover May 31, 1854;
James Middleton January 9, 1862;
Samuel L. Sprinkle July 10, 1876
Port Union -
James Patchell May 11, 1850;
David Stiles May 8, 1866;
Cornelius W. Murphy April 13, 1864;
James V. Spellman January 9, 1871
Maud's was first known as Shoemaker.  Its postmaster was Richard Maud, who received his appointment August 22, 1872.  On the 19th of May, 1874, it was called Maud's. 
Calvin T. Williams was made postmaster June 11, 1877;
Fred C. Wagner March 25, 1880;
Daston M. Flummer May 4, 1881
Gano -  
George L. Pierce December 19, 1872'
Henry Fox October 6, 1873;
Charles L. Gano December 9, 1874;
John J. Williamson February 7, 1881;
Lewis W. Scott May 23, 1881;
Thomas H. Burgess April 4, 1882
This office was discontinued one week in December, 1874.


     Port Union was laid off by William ELLIOTT, and was first named McMaken's Bridge.  McMAKEN, an old pioneer of the place, started the first grocery and built the first frame house (still standing) in the town.  Just opposite this building of McMaken's was a log house, probably the first built.  McMAKEN put up his house, probably the first built.  McMAKEN put up his house during the construction of the canal, in 1827.
     The town now contains a population of about eighty souls, has two grocery stores, two or three shops, and a church  James V. SPELLMAN has had a dry goods and a grocery store here for several years.  One is also owned by Frank RATZ Mr. SPELLMAN is of the firm of SPELLMAN & VINNEDGE, grain dealers of this place.
     The hall of the I. O. O. F., was built in 1878, and is a brick building.  The lodge has a membership of thirty.  The building cost $2,000.  Its lower part is a hall, sometimes used as a lecture room by the public.  The Knights of Honor, a society of thirty members, lately chartered, meet in this building twice a month.
     The Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Union has a membership now of about eighty-eight.  The present building is a frame erected in 1856.  The membership at that time consisted of but forty-one full members and eleven probationers.  The Rev. W. H. SMITH is a brick building.  The lodge has a membership of thirty.  The building cost $2,000.  Its lower part is a hall, sometimes used as a lecture room by the public.  The Knights of Honor, a society of thirty members, lately chartered meet in this building twice a month.
     The Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Union has a membership now of about eighty-eight.  The present building is a frame erected in 1856.  The membership at that time consisted of but forty-one full members and eleven probationers.  The Rev. W. H. SMITH is the present pastor, and J. V. SPELLMAN is the present Sabbath-school superintendent.  This Church was organized Dec. 17, 1853.  It was then in the Cumminsville District.  At that meeting M. F. WEST was secretary, and there were present A. EDDY, presiding elder, and the Rev. Messrs. GLASSCOCK and Daniel GRIFFIS.  J. M. WALDEN, of the Methodist Book Concern, of Cincinnati, was first licensed to preach at Port Union, June 3, 1854.  The local elders were Samuel GOSLIN, Nathan WHITTLESEY, Brumfield BOON, William MARSH, Thomas JEFFRAS, William MOORE, Samuel D. SPELLMAN (founder of the society), Manning F. WEST, Samuel SPELLMAN, Samuel WINNINGS, and Samuel HARD.  Mr. Samuel D. SPELLMAN came here in 1843, but now lives in Indiana.
     James PATCHELL, one of the oldest settlers of the township, occupies a farm on Section 5, in the second township, second range.  He is a son of James PATCHELL and Elizabeth CANNON, who were natives of Ireland.  He was born in Oil Creek, Venango Co., Pennsylvania, July 9, 1814.  His paternal ancestors were French Huguenots, and who emigrated to the northern part of Ireland in 1568, four years before the massacre of St. Bartholomew.  As early as 1515 the principles of Luther and Zwinglius had gained an entrance into France (especially that part bordering on Switzerland), as well as the doctrines of Calvin, which were embraced by the PATCHELLS, a very numerous and influential family living near Vassey.  In the struggle between the Bourbons and the five princes of Guise, they espoused the cause of the former; but it was not until 1560 that there was anything like an armed opposition to the tyranny of the latter.  A plan was agreed upon by the Huguenots to seize the Guises on a certain day, when a number of them were to present a petition to the king in person (who then lived at Blois), asking him to grant them the right of free exercise of their worship.  The plan was betrayed and twelve hundred Huguenots were executed.  Of that number seven were PATCHELLs, where the name first occurred in French history.  Bloody scenes were the result, and the massacre of Vassey in 1562 was the immediate cause of a continued civil war between the Catholics and Protestants in that part of France for over a century.
     In leaving France and settling in Ireland, the PATCHELLs did not better their condition, for the same bloody scenes were there enacted, through of a local and not a national character.  His great-great-great-great grandfather was one of the gallant few who served under that famous Protestant clergyman, George WALKER, in the heroic defense of Derry against King James.  For bravery in the battle of Boyne, he was presented with a gold medal, now in the possession of Samuel Patchell.  His grandfather, Edward PATCHELL, was keeper of the forest under Lord FITZGERALD.  This nobleman was killed by the Catholic tenantry, in the insurrection of 1788,, in Derry County.  He also owned a large farm five miles from Londonderry, and would have shared the fate of his lordship had he not been secretly released by a man named DUNBAR, whom he had befriended in several ways.
     In 1792 he emigrated to America, settling in Pennsylvania.  In 1800 he bought one thousand acres of land of the Holland Land Company, through which Oil Creek runs, on which are some of the largest oil-wells in the State.   His father, James PATCHELL, was next to the youngest of a family of two sons and three daughters, and was born in the county of Derry, Ireland, in 1772, and married Elizabeth CANNON in 1800.  She was also a native of Ireland, and was born in the county of Tyrone, in 1783.  By this union there were eight children: Edward, William, Mary A., Jane, Eliza, Jemima, James, and Joseph, all of whom are now dead but James, who resides at Port Union.
     In the War of 1812 he was a major in the Pennsylvania militia, and during the Winter of 1814 was stationed at Erie, Pennsylvania.  His brother Edward was a brigadier general in the Pennsylvania line during the War of 1812.  He was also appointed by President JACKSON, during his second term, the issuing commissary-general of the Army of the Southwest, with head-quarters at New Orleans, which position he held for three years, when he resigned on account of ill health.   At the time of his death he was one of the wealthiest and most prominent citizens of Pittsburg.
     In the Spring of 1815 James PATCHELL, in company with several other families, descended the Alleghany and Ohio Rivers to Neville, Clermont County, Ohio, in a kee-boat.  He was driven to this course on account of going on the official bond of his friend Samuel Plumer, as sheriff of Venango County.  He defaulted in office, for a large sum, and his security could not pay this without selling his farm, which he had inherited from his father.  He left it in the hands of his brother Edward, to sell and pay the debt.  A short time after coming to Clermont County he purchased a farm in Tate Township, where he resided until 1830, when he removed to Butler County, where he died in 1844, and his wife in 1846.  He was a man of great energy and strong will-power.  Although a Democrat in a Democratic county and township, and possessed of a good education, he would never consent  to be a candidate for any office.  These combined with honesty and good judgment, made him a man of more than ordinary ability.
     James PATCHELL, the son, was born on the 9th of July, 1814, at Oil Creek, Venango County, Pennsylvania, and removed with his parents to Clermont County, in Ohio, in 1816.  He came to Union Township in 1830.  On the 28th of August, 1842, he was married, at Port Union, to Mrs. Belinda McCLELLEN SMITH, widow of Dr. G. M. Smith.  Her maiden name was McCLELLAN, being the daughter of James McCLELLAN, and Anna GIFFIN, and she was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, Oct. 8, 1815.  Her father was a great uncle of General George B. McCLELLAN.  They have six children.  Joseph C. was born Dec. 14, 1843; E. Jennie, Aug. 4, 1847; James E., Aug. 29, 1850; Stephen C., Jan. 29, 1853; Edward W., Aug.. 14, 1855; and Rosalinda,  Dec. 6, 1858.  Joseph C., who is married to Lizzie GERWIG, now lives in Cincinnati, and is a dentist in good practice; E. Jennie is married to Samuel B. DEAN, and lives at Collinsville; James  is married to Ollie CUTLER, and lives at Port Union; Stephen is married to Jennie EASTON, Edward W. is married to Mollie HOWARD; Rosalinda was married Sept. 28, 1881, to George Milton Roudebush, of Newtonville, Clermont County.
     Mr. PATCHELL began with about eighty acres of land, but has since added steadily to it, until he now has two hundred and forty-six acres in a state of high cultivation.  He was trustee of Union Township from 1843 to 1849; justice of the peace from Nov. 3, 1849, to Dec. 13, 1846, in all fifteen years; postmaster of Port Union from May 11, 1850,to Oct., 1865, and notary public since Jan. 25, 1866.  He was assessor of real estate in the township in 1859, and also in 1880, and revalued them in both years.  From 1855 to 1877 he settled nearly all the estates of deceased persons as administrator, and acted as guardian of minors within the township, their estates amounting in gross to nearly two hundred thousand dollars.  His family has hand a long and honorable connection with the history of this valley.
     Hugh CANNON, the eldest brother of his mother, was killed in St. Clair's expedition, Nov. 4, 1791.  Another brother of his mother, Thomas CANNON, married Elizabeth SCOTT, a sister of General Winfield SCOTT.  They had one son and two daughters.  The son, William Scott CANNON, died in New Orleans in 1834.  The oldest daughter, Jane Gray CANNON, married James SWISSHELM, a farmer's son living near McKeesport, and afterward became famous as an editor and political and social writer.  The other daughter married Zachary MITCHELL of the same place.  The CANNONs and SWISSHELMs were early settlers of Pittsburg and that part of the State.  Mrs. SWISSHELM was born and reared in the city of Pittsburg.
     James V. SPELLMAN was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, Nov. 16, 1823, and is the younger son of Henry SPELLMAN and Charlotte GALLER, natives of New York, of German descent.  SPELLMAN was one of the pioneers of Hamilton County, settling in 1807, near Red bank.  He died in 1850.  Mr. James V. SPELLMAN was brought up as a farmer, being occupied at home until his twenty-first year.  He was married Dec. 1 1842, to Angelina WARREN, a native of Hamilton County.  They are the parents of six children, three of whom are living.  Althea J. was born in 1843, and is now the wife of Dr. L. M. GRIFFIS, of Hamilton; J. Warren, Jan. 18, 1847, now assisting his father in Port Union, and Clara V., July 25, 1855.                  
     Mr. SPELLMAN was in trade in Cincinnati for eight years, and being employed in farming in 1854.  He came to Port Union in 1860, and engaged in farming and trading, entering the mercantile business in connection with James Beatty.  Since 1870, when Mr. BEATTY retired, the firm has been SPELLMAN, VINNEDGE & Co.  They have a general store, and are extensive buyers of grain.  Mr. SPELLMAN is a member of the Board of Trade of Cincinnati.  He was township trustee for several years, justice of the peace for one term, and is now a member of the board of education.  He was postmaster of Port Union for ten yeas  He had no early pecuniary advantages, but now owns in addition to his store seventy-five acres of land adjoining the village.


     Tylersville was laid off in 1843 by Mr. Daniel POCOCK, and named by John SULLIVAN after President John TYLER.  It is locally known as Pug MUNCY.  The first building was erected by Michael DALTON many years previous to the above-mentioned time.  The country surrounding this place was dense forest, and cooperage the principal trade.  Mr. DALTON also erected the first cooper-shop.  His dwelling-house was known for a long time as a swayback house.  It was a story and a half, and as the roof had to support it sank.  The house has now been torn down for forty years.  In an early day, when timber was plenty, there were a number of cooper-shops, at times as many as three, and each did a good business.
     The third house built in this place was a little pole cabin, erected not later than 1835.  It was put up on the ground now owned by "Squire WRIGHT" and in his garden, and stood until about the year 1852.  Andrew HOUGH occupied this house after ward, and built a little pole cabin on the north-west of the two roads where he had a store, the first one in Tylersville.  It was kept by him for a few years, when John SULLIVAN took possession, tore the store away, and built a little frame.  Part of this structure is still standing.
     Mr. Abram SHARPE, a German, was the next merchant of the town, and was very successful in the business, which he followed for twenty years.  His store was begun on a small scale at first, but increased to that of a good country store afterwards  During  his reign as chief merchant, an opposition store was started up by Mr. George SHEPPARD.  The sons of Mr. Sharpe are at this time leading merchants in New York and Louisville.  Mr. John WHITTIKIND, a German, has a country store in the village; the business of the place, however, has decreased.
     Besides the SHARPE boys, who did so well, National JEFFRAS, now of JEFFRAS & SEELY, Cincinnati, was here formerly as a poor boy, working for "Squire WRIGHT at eight dollars per month.  His father, Thomas JEFFRAS, was an active man in the building of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the place, and was one of its class-leaders for thirty-five years.  The building was erected in 1850.  Mr. JEFFRAS, the Rev. Nathan WHITTLESEY, and Mr. JEFFRAS's mother, a true Christian in every sense of the word, were the organizers of the Sabbath-school also.  The membership of both the Church and Sabbath-school was greater formerly than now, owing to removals and deaths.
     The log school-house was a second building in the town proper.  It contained an old-fashioned fire-place that would take in a stick of wood eight feet long.  The seats were made of slabs, pins supporting them on the floor.  The windows were on either side of the house, and from ten to twelve feet long, occupying the length and width of one log.  These windows were protected by shutters, and were fastened by strong hook-and-eye hinges, in such a way that when opened the shutters were raised from below and stood propped up  This house was built about 1830, and probably Elisha DALTON was the "first master" who held sway with the rod.  CALDWELL, Ames SEDAM, and James S. WILES were also early teachers.  The house was used the singing-schools, church purposes, etc.; but in 1840 the little brick school-house was used for singing-schools, church purposes, etc.; but in 1840 the little brick schoolhouse was erected, and stood until 1866, when the present brick structure was built.  The present attendance at school is not so great as formerly.  It does not now exceed forty pupils in average attendance, while in pioneer times it was not uncommon to have seventy-five pupils.
     William WRIGHT and his son John came to this place from Pennsylvania in 1816, and settled on Section 11.  William WRIGHT was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and drew twenty dollars annually as a pension, but was entitled to more.  He was an Indian fighter in Pennsylvania in 1763.  He was married twice, his second wife being Miss Rhoda WHARTON, by whom he had six children.  This marriage was in 1820.  'Squire Perry WRIGHT, of this place, was named after Commodore PERRY.  Thomas JEFFRAS, came to this portion of the township from Maryland in 1805, and settled first near Middletown, but soon afterwards removed to Tylersville.  Michael DALTON came as early as 1805.  He was for many years a teacher of the public day-school, was a justice of the peace, and withal  a sturdy pioneer of the wilderness.  Isaiah WHARTON settled first where Gano Station is now.  His daughter, 'Squire WRIGHT, her son, now living in Tylersville, was born in 1827; has been justice of the peace nine years, and is also a good farmer.  His farm adjoins the town.
     The country about the village is high, the soil good, and a high state of cultivation prevails.  The land is rolling and a little uneven between this point and Westchester.  Almost every family in early times had a loom, and did their own weaving.  They always hired the tailor and shoemaker.  The teacher of the school was generally an Irishman.  There was a grave-yard on Section 35, near Tylersville, at a very early date, but many were buried at Springdale.


     Westchester is the oldest village in the township, and was originally called Mechanicsburg, but changed to Westchester by statute, and was laid out by Hezekiah SMITH in March, 1817.  Twenty-seven lots were laid out at first.  Afterwards, in April, 1817, James CUMMINS made an addition of lots, numbering from one to twenty inclusive.  Other additions have since been made.
     Joseph COX came from Maryland.  He was employed by Judge SYMMES on the early surveys, settling a little south-east of Westchester on a quarter-section of land, and afterwards accumulated considerable property, and was considered as wealthy for a man of that day.  He raised a family of three sons and three daughters.  Julia COX married Robert McMAKEN, a brother of Joseph.  Elizabeth married Dr. WILLIAMSON.  The names of his sons were Benjamin, John, and Joseph.  John became a wealthy farmer of the township.  Joseph went South.  Benjamin moved to Monroe County, Ohio  John COX were born about 1800.  Elizabeth COX was born April 10, 1798, and died April 27, 1880.  David WILLIAMSON died Dec. 2, 1873, aged 78 years and 2 months.
     Charles LEGG, a very early pioneer, was born Jan. 1, 1763, and died Sept. 4, 1864.  His wife Rachel was born May 25, 1762, and died Nov. 21, 1847.  Nancy McMAKEN died in the twenty-seventh year of her age, in 1820.  Charles LEGG lived about a mile north of Westchester, and raised a family of ten children, all dead, but two sons and one daughter,  The latter is now ninety-three years old..   He came in 1805. WHITTLESEY, CONNOVER, and JEFFRAS all came during that year.
     William Van HISE was an early member of the Methodist Church, and has left a number of descendants, who are prominent citizens of the township.  He raised a family of nine children, seven boys and two girls.  He was born September 29, 1780, and died July 19, 1850.  Rachel, his wife, was born Mar. 4, 1779, and died Apr. 11, 1850.  He came from New Jersey in 1815, and some six or seven families bore him company, and among this number were CONNOVER, SLAYBACK, and others.  After reaching Pittsburg they took a flat-boat for Cincinnati.  Putting the horses and the wagons on the boat save one, SLAYBACK rode from Pittsburg to Cincinnati.  Van HISE settled on sixty acres, NAPLES settling also on part of this place, but left after a year or so for Rising Sun, Indiana.  CONNOVER was the son-in-law in SLAYBACK.
Westchester was settled apparently by mechanics.  At the lower end of town was a flax-seed oil-mill.  These mills, the saw-mill, grist-mill, and oil-mill were all under one roof.  They were built by Samuel BURNES, and were primitive in construction, being a tread-mill run by oxen.  A Mr. Samuel FOSTER carried on the mill some few years, but they all went down before the year 1820.  The ruins of these foundations are still to be seen.  Mr. James CUMMINS started the first tan-yard of the place, which was as early as 1810.  It was on the west side of the road, on a lot owned by Jared PARRISH.  This one was run until within the past eight yeas.  Mr. McLEAN had it last.  Mr. PARRISH owned it some forty years.  He was an early and prominent settler of the town, who died Sep. 7, 1870, at sixty-five years of age.  The Rev. William PARRISH was born in 1800, and died Oct. 17, 1847.
     The first tavern of Westchester was kept by Ezekiel GARD.  He was one of the oldest settlers of the place, and kept the hotel for forty years, and died May 3, 1868, aged sixty years.  His wife, Elizabeth GARD, lived until 1868.  She was seventy-six years old at the time.  She died of the cholera in Indiana.  This tavern was kept prior to the time of the stage routs.  James ELLIOTT, was the first man who kept hotel where Mrs. SIMPSON now is.  Daniel AVEY sold out his hotel to SIMPSON a year or so before the war.
     John CALDWELL had a farm at Westchester and a tanyard.  GARD had a part of the ground.  Hezekiah SMITH had an ox saw-mill.  When Colonel Dick JOHNSON's regiment came through in 1812, they were handsomely entertained by the inhabitants.  SMITH acted as quarter-master till the end of the war.  JOHNSON's regiment was of fine handsome men.  They were taken to the woods near by where they camped, and the inhabitants vied with each other in taking them good things to eat.
     The first store in Westchester was kept by ANDERSON a few years.  This was a small affair, and was afterwards purchased and run by James FREEMAN, prior to 1820.  It was near Mr. JACKSON's shoe shop, but FREEMAN kept where the hotel is now.  Jeremiah DAY was probably the first blacksmith in the place  His shop was just below the town.
     Formerly the village was in a most thriving condition.  There were manufactures of every ordinary kind almost, and the travel through was large - shoemakers, hatmakers, potteries, coopering, etc., in addition to what has been already named - induced considerable patronage to the place that would otherwise have gone elsewhere.  It now has a hotel, kept by Mrs. Margaret SIMPSON, a harness shop, post-office, and one or two good stores, and one or two saloons.  It is not the town it was before the railroad was built, and is not likely to increase in population in the near future.
     The Cumberland Presbyterian Church here is a branch of that in Sharon, Hamilton County.   A meeting was held, closing Feb. 6, 1869, at which the following persons united with the Church in Sharon: Ann COX, Anna HUNT, Ben BATES, Harriet BATES, Lawrence PEEL, Louisa PEEL, Thomas LONG, Catherine LONG, Eva J. HAMILTON, Beatty PATTISON, Luther HUGHES, Elizabeth HUGHES, Joel HALL, Martha HAVEN, Marian LONG, Margaret LONG, James JACKSON, William A. JACKSON, Sarah A. DALRYMPLE, Delilah FULLER.  They were organized into a branch of the Sharon Presbyterian Church, with the privilege of electing elders.  The present membership is one hundred and four.  They used the building which belonged to the New School Presbyterian Church.  Colonel C. L. GANO is superintendent of the Sunday-school.  Their house cost thirty-three hundred dollars.  The pastor is the Rev. C. K. HOLTSINGER.  The old church was thirty-eight by forty feet, and the new is thirty-eight by fifty-nine feet.  The church is very handsome inside.  They worshiped in the old church until very lately.
     Mr. Daniel AVEY, an old gentleman who died recently, gave the following account of what he remembered:  He came to this section of the country with his father in 1806.  They settled north-east of Westchester, on what is now the WICKEY farm.  Near the house Mr. AVEY built a grist-mill, the stones being eighteen inches in diameter.  In the Spring of the year corn would be ground at a rate not to exceed half a bushel an hour.  The first school-house stood south of the present house of Daniel MICHAEL, on the present farm of J. C. WAKEFIELD, and was built between 1806 and 1812.  It was of logs, with greased-paper windows.  The second school-house was built near by, near the residence of James MILLER, and was a frame building.  The third was also frame, and is yet standing,  belonging to Mrs. FOWLER.  It is now used as a residence.  The next school-house is the present Granger Hall.  The present school-house is a new building on the COX farm, and is now about four years old.
     The present Presbyterian Church was built in 1842, the builders and prime movers being Jerry DAY and Enoch CONOVER.  The Methodist Sunday-school was begun in a house now occupied by Van HISE, as a store, in 1827 or 1828.  This was a union Sunday-school, and was organized by the Rev. Hezekiah SMITH.  There is a branch of the Catholic Church in Glendale in this town.  It was organized about the beginning of the civil war, and worships in Grangers' Hall.  Their priests have been the Rev. MESSRS. CORCORAN, CAREY, and O'DONNELL, the last being the present clergyman.
     The Methodist Church building in Westchester was erected in 1818.  The Methodist people of this vicinity previous to this time worshiped in private houses, frequently meeting at Mr. LEGG's  The money for this edifice was raised by subscription, and the two pioneers of the Church,, Charles LEGG and Duran WHITTLESEY, were active in securing the amount necessary, and frequently made long and laborious trips over the country in their calls for donations  The first structure was of brick, and as the builders did not know how to construct a self-supporting roof, they put columns under it for the support of that part.  The lot was donated by Hezekiah SMITH, who was a Baptist preacher and the founder of the town.  The school house stood on the same lot also   The church building stood until 1848, when it was torn down and the old brick used in part to build the new one.
     Among the early preachers may be mentioned Arthur W. ELLIOTT, who was a prominent minister in his day, and probably traveled this circuit as early as 1810.  He possessed a good education, and became widely known in his work.  The Rev. James B. FINLEY and a Rev. Mr. GODDARD were also pioneers in this field.  Among the lay members may be mentioned Charles LEGG, Duran WHITTLESEY, Thomas JEFFRAS, Ezra DALTON, and the ELLIOTTS, who were actively interested in the cause.  Major W. W. ELLIOTT came to the township in 1824, since which time he has been identified with the Church, not only as a member of the society, but also as a leader, having served as steward full forty years, and as class-leader fifteen years.  His means have been liberally donated.  The Rev. T. C. CRUM is the present pastor, and William Van HISE the Sabbath-school superintendent.  A Presbyterian Church existed here between 1830 and 1840, but was very weak, and soon ceased to exist.
     Prominent among the early settlers of Union Township was the old Revolutionary soldier, John C. BECKETT, who settled near Westchester in 1810.  He was an American officer during that war, and after its close was engaged in transporting goods between Cincinnati and Fort Hamilton.  His son James C. BECKETT, who was born Dec. 24, 1799, on Mill Creek, Hamilton County, came with his father in 1810 to this section of the county, and lived to an old and honored age.
     Major William W. ELLIOTT was born in Maryland, July 24, 1800, being the son of William ELLIOTT and Rachel BOSLEY of English descent.  He received an ordinary education, and with his parents came to Ohio in 1810, locating in the vicinity of Princeton.  He was brought up as a farmer, and continued that occupation until his parents died.  During the War of 1812 he saw the troops from Kentucky march up to 1812 he saw the troops from Kentucky march up to the north on the road from Cincinnati to Dayton, which had then been newly laid out.  At the age of fifteen he went to live with a brother-in-law, and drove team for him for seven years.  The county was still very new, and huge forests encumbered almost the whose of the land.
    The major bought his present place in 1824, having been married in 1823 to Sarah Mutchner, a native of Maryland.  To that marriage were born two children, one of whom is now living the wife of George Jackson, a resident of Lebanon.  Major ELLIOTT settled upon his present place in 1824.  It was then entirely wild.  He put up a log cabin, cleared up the place, and rapidly improved it.  He bought the land from General William Henry HARRISON, afterward President.  He put up a hewed-log house, and remained there until building a brick one about 1840.  The major was long active in military affairs, having command of the regiment in Butler County in 1837.  On the making of the turnpike from Cincinnati to Dayton, he was elected director, and has been annually elected ever since.  He has been township trustee for many yeas.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been for many years, and is one of the leading laymen of the denomination.   He is frequently called upon to make addresses before Sunday-schools and temperance societies.  He has been president of the Pioneer Association of Warren and Butler Counties, and is an active and esteemed member of that body.  Although eighty-two years of age, his bodily strength is still considerable, and his mental faculties unweakened.  For many of the recollections embodied in these pages we are indebted to him.


     This cemetery was laid out in the Fall of 1870.  George VINNEDGE, Perry WRIGHT, and Abner JACKSON were the trustees at that time.  They purchased an addition to the old yard, which had been in existence for fifty years, making in all one of twelve and a quarter acres.  Frederick WICKE, Jacob Francis, and James PATCHELL, Jr. are the present board of officers.  J. W. GERARD, the sexton, has been in charge of these grounds since 1871.  The yard was formerly in a bad condition, owing to so much brush and undergrowth, but considerable attention has been paid to the grounds and the walks of late, and it now presents as fine an appearance as any in the country outside of the large cities.  Three hundred persons have been buried in this yard, and an average of thirty deaths happens every year.  The ground is divided off into sections, four in number, and these again subdivided into lots of which there are in all six hundred.  A good fence incloses the cemetery, and on the inside evergreen trees adorn the grounds and shade the drivers, giving the whole a handsome appearance.


     Maudeville is yet in its infancy as a village, the first house being erected by Henry Stickles after the railroad was built.  He keeps a boarding-house, a saloon, and a grocery.  He also owns a lumber-yard.  GILBERT & WILLIAMSON keep a country store.  It is a good grain center, and from this point cereals are shipped in quantities.
     The old saw-mill that stood where the railroad crosses the pike is among the most interesting things of the past.  Like all saw-mills of pioneer days, it was to be run with water, but instead of a sluggish stream to furnish power for the wheel, a mere tub-full of that element was thought to be sufficient to run it forever, with an occasional drop now and then added to make good what might be lost by evaporation.  The contrivance consisted of an upright saw, with all its ordinary attachments; a large tub was placed aloft and filled with water.  This tub held about one hundred barrels, and was filled by the proprietor and his devoted wife, it was said, who was to share honors, undoubtedly world-renowned, if this thing worked.  The expectant day arrived; logs filled the yard below; the mill had been erected, but not weather-boarded or roofed; the tub filled, and pump fixed in its place.  It was supposed that the same force of water used to run the wheel would also run the pump, and throw the water back as first run the pump, and throw the water back as fast it escaped.  On trial, of course, it proved a failure; the logs in the yard rotted, the mill tumbled down of old age, and no trace of its former existence is now visible.


     Gano is a small place on the southern portion of the township, on the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railroad, and is a station built since that road was put through, by Charles GANO, of Cincinnati.  This was in 1874.  In 1879 Mr. Charles GANO, Jr., built a large flouring mill and did a fine business, but unfortunately the mill took fire soon after it was erected and burned down.  The ambition of the village tempered down after the loss of the grain trade incident to this event, and Maudville was left thenceforth as cock of the walk.  A well one hundred and twelve feet deep was dug near this mill for water, but gas was discovered and from that time to this it oozes up in great quantity.  This gas was conducted by a pipe into the mill and was used for drying the wheat; it probably comes from the decomposed matter of the drift below, and is odorless.  Mr. C. L. GANO owns a beautiful residence in this place.


     Rialto is owned by the FRIEND & FOX Paper Company, and consists of three mills, about seven miles from Hamilton, on the edge of the canal.  It manufactures book and news paper.  Capacity, five thousand and five hundred pounds per day.  The new Crescent mill, built in 1881, is a mile below the others, and is illuminated by electric lights, and filled with the finest machinery made in the East.  It manufactures roofing and wrapping papers.  The original manufactory was a grist-mill, begun by Taylor WEBSTER, who did a good business for many years.  He sold to BEATTY & COOPER, who sold to FRIEND & FOX.


     Pisgah is the highest point in Union Township, although to the casual observer it seems to be on a general level with the surrounding country.  It is higher than Lebanon and all points around.  It was probably named by William BELCH, a pioneer of the place, and so called from the old church that stood on this land.  This village has but eleven residences, a grocery store,  post-office, and a blacksmith's shop.
     William BELCH came here as early as 1812 or 1815.  He was a Pennsylvania German, and very energetic.  He kept the first hotel of the place many years before he died, after which his son William kept if fifteen or twenty years longer.  William and James Van HISE started a hotel about 1838, and also a store and post-office.  This was the first post-office in Pisgah.  It was subsequently kept by David CONOVER and James MIDDLETON, and now by S. M. SPRINKLE.  The two Van HISES also kept the first store.  They carried on the business a number of yeas, and were the last to keep hotel. 
     A still-house was erected in an early day by James IRWIN on the farm now owned by James IRWIN, his grandson.  Mr. IRWIN came to Ohio before 1800, and settled first in Warren County, and after a few yeas came to Pisgah and settled on 360 acres of choice lands.  He started the first tan-yard.  He was the grandfather of Governor IRWIN, of California.  This distinguished man, William IRWIN, received a good education in the public schools, and subsequently in colleges, after which he went to California, about 1850, and for several years edited the leading paper of that State.  He was afterwards sent to the State Legislature, and later elected governor of that State.  He has since that time been conspicuous in the management of State affairs, and is known as a representative citizen of the country.
     The people of Pisgah, in an early time, attended Church at Muddy Creek.  This was a Baptist society just outside the county.  Subsequently the Presbyterians erected a church building on the BELCH property.  This house stood on the old Quakertown Road, near the village, and on the same lot upon which the school-house stood.  The two buildings were within the same fencing.  The school0house was made of round logs and the church of hewed logs  after a few years the Church people built a brick house, and the school was moved into the old church building.  This was on James IRWIN's place, and in 1835 or 1836 the district built the new brick school-house, on the identical spot on which stood the old log-house, and its remains, in a repaired condition, still stand, but the house is owned as private property.  The district purchased land in 1862, when and where the present structure was erected.  The church served its purpose for a long period of time, but for many years it has gone into disuse, save for an occasional service.  The property was finally sold, and the organization has lost its identity.
     Robert CALDWELL, an Irishman, was probably the first teacher of Pisgah, who applied the beech and black-walnut methods of imparting instruction in an early day.  He believed in "the laying on of hands," and there are some of his pupils still living who distinctly remember how they were thrashed through to the Rule of Three.  He was "master" for some years, and was then followed by Michael DALTON, who became a prominent citizen of the place, and is very kindly remembered by many people yet.  Mrs. James HUNT (formerly Miss Anna ELLSWORTH) was the first lady teacher of these schools.  She taught for a long while.  She was a woman of rare abilities; was finely educated, and was unexcelled as a teacher.  The SLAYBACK brothers, John C. and James N., taught here a number of years, and a good report of their work follows them.  The Pisgah schools have always been in a flourishing condition, and have been successful in furnishing many good teachers to the county.
     Among the early preachers of Pisgah may be mentioned the Rev. Mr. GRAVES, of the Presbyterian Church, fifty years ago, and Mr. Bryan and Mr. Lemon, of the Muddy Creek Baptist Church.  Mr. GRAVES remained with this congregation many years, and during that period of time the Church was prosperous.
     In former times bleeding was common in the art of curing.  People sent to Westchester for a doctor, and it was not until as late as 1845, when James L. ROUND, M. D., formerly of Westchester, moved to the place and settled as the first resident physician.  He stayed many years, but some six years before he died, fell from a ladder, and so injured himself that he was compelled to go on crutches the remainder of his life.  This was but a few years ago, and he was about the only physician of note who took up his residence in the place.
     Mrs. David HULSE has probably rendered as much service to the sick as many a physician with college diploma.  Her parents were educated people.  Louis KROUSKOPF, her father, was an educated German, and was a cavalry officer under Napoleon in the French expedition against Russia.  His regiment lost all but fifty-five men in that campaign  He came to America in 1822, settling first at Sharon, Ohio, and subsequently at Pisgah, where he kept a hotel on the Lebanon and Cincinnati Turnpike, a mile and a half west of the village, and afterwards became gate-keeper on that road.  He came in 1829, and in 1838 kept toll-gate, and was the originator of the pole sweep in this neighborhood.  The gates previous to this time were similar to those used in fences, and swung around.  The innovation of the ordinary pole had its enemies at that time, there being those who vigorously contended they were under no obligation to pay toll when they had no gate to go through.  Mr. KROUSKOPF was also a physician, and was educated in the Prussian schools of medicine, but did not practice surgery, his specialty, after coming to America.  He died December 31, 1860.  William HULSE had the first blacksmith's shop in the village, which he kept until 1831, when he died.  TULLIS & MIDDLETON have a shop at this time.
     During the late war, Pisgah furnished a score of men for the army, out of which a full dozen either were killed outright, died in hospital, or from the effects of the hardships and exposures of camp life soon after returning home.  Lewis A. HULSE, son of David HULSE, was a mere lad when he shouldered his musket for the army.  He was wounded at the battle of Stone River, and died in camp.  In this connection should also be mentioned the names of Benjamin BELCH, MARSH and Joel TULLIS, James ROUND, Isaac MYERS, Vermillion VOORHEES, William BURCH, Joseph MOORE, Joseph and Jesse GRAY, Jesse PRICE, Richmond MIDDLETON, Benjamin STEWARD, and Charles CATRO.  The names of these heroes will never be forgotten.
     The Burch Spring, once so noted, now abandoned, was dug on the Deerfield road, on land now owned by Harvey WEBB, about 1860.  The well was sunk to the depth of seventy-five feet, when water flowed in a torrent, filling the well about half full immediately, and scarcely giving a chance for the men to get out.  It was believed that an underground river had been struck.  The sides fell in, until there was apparently a subterranean lake of water, which to save next drew attention, and during the next Spring, rocks and logs were hauled in large quantities and dumped in, but when the cavity was filled the well was lost, and there was nothing there now save a great depression to mark the once great well.
     David HULSE, one of the leading and progressive men of Pisgah, was born in Union Township, Apr 2, 1819, and was the youngest son of William HULSE and Catherine LUTES, both natives of New Jersey and of Dutch descent.  Mr. HULSE was one of the pioneers of Butler County, settling upon the farm adjoining the one now owned by his son in 1815  It was then in the woods, and hardly any roads existed there.  Indians still occasionally passed through on their hunting expeditions, and there was an abundance of game and only one moderately good road.  He was a blacksmith by trade, carrying on that business for many years jointly with farming.  He was an active member of the Baptist Church at Muddy Creek, in Warren County, there being none near his residence.  He raised a family of eight sons and two daughters, of whom the only survivor is David HULSEWilliam HULSE died in 1833.  David attended the common schools at Pisgah until he had obtained a fair education, and after leaving school became thoroughly versed in agricultural pursuits.  In his fourteenth year he spent with an older brother to Indiana, where he remained for three years, the only period of his life in which he was not a resident of Ohio  He returned to Ohio in 1837, and was employed in farm-work.
     Mr. HULSE was married Nov 21, 1839, to Ernestine KROUSKOPF, who was born in Germany, Sept. 22, 1820.  She was the daughter of Louis KROUSKOPF and Catherine MERSER, who emigrated to America in August, 1821, and settled in Hamilton County.  They removed to this county in 1829.
     Mr. and Mrs. HULSE were the parents of seven children, of whom three survive.  Lewis A. was born Feb. 12, 1845.  Energetic and patriotic, he enlisted September, 1862, in the Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  At the battle of Stone River, the first battle he had an opportunity to be in, he was acting as a scout.  On the morning of December 31st he was shot down, although living until Feb. 16, 1863.  Mr. HULSE's first child, Olelia Jane, was born Oct. 30, 1840, and is now the wife of Irwin MILLER.  She resides in Union Township; Loretta Emeline was born Sept. 7, 1842, and married James AYRES, a well-known resident.  The third child was Lewis A.; the fourth was William FRANCIS, who was born Aug. 4, 1849.  He lives on the home farm and helps in its management.  Hulda Amanda, born Feb. 17, 1851, was the wife of Servetus DAWSON, but died May 6, 1881.  David Charles was born Dec. 3, 1854, and is now telegraph operator at New Morefield, Ohio.  Ernest Eugene was born June 22, 1861, and is still at home. 
     Mr. HULSE, immediately after his marriage, located upon a farm where he now lives.  This was in the Spring of 1840.  There was a log cabin, and some little improvements in the way of deadened timber had been made.  He occupied the log cabin until he built his present handsome residence in 1851.  The place consists of one hundred and fifteen acres, finely cultivated, situated just upon the eastern edge of Pisgah.  Mr. HULSE derived a little means from his parents, but his success is due principally to his own industry.  He is well read, and frequently contributes to the newspapers.  Both he and his wife are very methodical.  Mrs. HULSE has for a long time been a practitioner in obstetrics and in female diseases, in which she has had great success.  She has taken pains to inform herself, both from books and observation, and in the cases she has attended has been unusually fortunate.  She has also done much in children's diseases, and enjoys the confidence of the community.  Of late, however, she has partially retired from practice.


  - JOSEPH ALLEN - 582
  - MRS. MARY L. BELCH - 583
  - JOHN BLOCK - 583
  - WILLIAM GRAY - 584
  - DAVID L. IRWIN - 585
S. C. MILLER - 587
  - WILLIAM MAUD - 587
  - JOSEPH COX - 588
  - ISAAC MYERS - 588
  - ROBERT MOORE - 588
- W. L. VAN HISE - 592






This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights