OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Cuyahoga County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source:
The Pioneer Families of Cleveland
1796 - 1840

By
Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham
Vol. I.
Publ. Evangelical Publishing House
1914

pp. 167 - 186

[Page 166]

1815

MEEKER

     The Meeker brothers, Smith, Enoch and Stephen, did not live within the limits of early Cleveland, but as their pioneer homes have long been a part of the present city and their children intermarried with old Cleveland families, the history and genealogy of the Meekers rightfully belongs in this work.
     The American ancestor of the family came in 1639.  Timothy Meeker, the grandfather of the three Cleveland pioneers, was a Revolutionary soldier, and the homestead of their parents built in 1758 yet stands near Newark, J. J., and is occupied by their descendants.
     Smith Meeker married Abigail Oliver.  They lived on Mayfield Ridge.  Mrs. Smith Meeker died in 1867, and her husband soon followed her.

     Their children:
 
Caroline Meeker
     m. Alexander McIlrath, his second wife.  She died 90 years of age.
John O. Meeker,  
     m. Mary Hendershott.
  Norton Meeker,
    
m. Ann Sherman;
    
2nd, Mary Thomas
Byron Meeker,
     m. Mary Buckley;
    
2nd, Sarah Demeline.
Cummins Meeker,
unmarried.

     Enoch Meeker was a shoemaker, and he came to Ohio about 1816 with Paul Condit.  Also a shoemaker from Elizabeth, N. J.  He purchased 15 acres of land on Euclid Road, now Euclid Avenue.  Noble Road was laid out years afterward, to the west of his property, leaving the homestead on the south-east corner.
     He discovered later that he had paid the highest price asked for land in that locality, also that he had undertaken more than he could accomplish if he remained on the property.  He could secure little work at his trade to help out in his payments, due each in following years, so he concluded not to work the land at present, but go where the country was more thickly settled, and where there was more demand for boots and shoes, then made stoutly and by hand.
     He chose Painesville and its vicinity for this field of endeavor, a lucky one he ever afterward considered it, for there he met Susanna Hulburt, who was then teaching school in Mentor.  Previously she had taught in Painesville, and was a member of the household of Governor Huntington while doing so.
     She was born in Northampton, Mass.  Her mother was an Eliot, and a relative of the Indian missionary of that name.  Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Meeker were married by Judge Peter Hitchcock in 1816.  They continued their residence in Painesville until after the birth of their first child, when Mr. Meeker concluded that he could pay the indebtedness upon his East Cleveland property and returned to live upon it.  His old friend and chum Paul Condit was keeping a tavern in order to help pay for his own land, and this influenced Enoch Meeker to try the same thing on a smaller scale.  He built a large and substantial frame-house, still standing on  the corner of Euclid Avenue and Noble Road, and occupied by his son Samuel C. Meeker.*
     Mrs. Meeker, although making no outward objection to the tavern scheme, felt certain that neither her husband nor herself was fitted for

---------------
     * Now deceased.

[Page 167]

the work.  It was the custom of the day to name a tavern and place it as a sign over the door.  Mrs. Meeker laughingly suggested that they choose a horn for their emblem, and place the sign with the small end of the horn pointing toward he house.
     The retail sale of liquor in that day was considered perfectly legitimate.  No stigma was attached to the man who dealt it out over the counter of his grocery store or his tavern bar.  The latter was considered a necessary adjunct of every country tavern.  After a long, cold drive a hot drink proved most grateful to the weary traveler accustomed to the use of stimulants, and no tavern would receive patronage that failed to have whisky on tap.
     Travelers in some years were scarce, and many of the eastern families on their way to Ohio came fully equipped for camping out all the length of their journey, and taverns reaped no benefit from the emigration.  Landlords became more and more dependent upon local patronage of their bar-rooms, until their taverns became, at last, little more than saloons.  Mrs. Meeker was a very intelligent woman and anxious for the mental and spiritual development of her children.  She did not wish her boys to be raised in a bar-room, and so the tavern project was abandoned.  Mr. Meeker heeded to the advice of his good wife and remained a farmer and a shoemaker.
     Mrs. Meeker was also very ambitious for her sons.  She wanted them to be school teachers, as well as farmers, and prevailed upon Clinton, the third one, to apply for a school at the "North Woods," 4 miles away on the lake shore, afterward known as "Frizzells."  Mr. Frizzelle lived in a log-house and was a school director of the district.  Clinton Meeker taught there three months, walking two miles each way to his boarding place.  Sixty-eight years afterward he visited the spot for the first time since he left it at the close of his school term.
     Nathan Meeker, the oldest son of Enoch, was a very intelligent, ambitious man.  He drifted to New York where he became an editorial writer on the New York Tribune.  Horace Greeley, the famous editor of that newspaper, wished to found a western colony, and Nathan Meeker invested his all in the project, and was appointed one of a committed to choose the location for the proposed colony.
     A tract of land in Colorado was selected, and a town laid out to which the name of Greeley was given.  Seventy families removed at once to the spot.  Dissension arose with Evans, a town four miles distant, and in the heated controversy, Mr. Nathan Meeker was murdered.  It made a great sensation all over the country, and every detail of the affair was dwelt upon by the press of that day.  His photograph hangs in the old homestead on Euclid Avenue, and his two remaining brothers speak of him in terms of great admiration and affection.
     Enoch Meeker built or gave a home to each of his sons.  That of Nathan’s stands back of the homestead and on Noble Road, and is occupied by Rufus Clinton Meeker, or “Clinton,” as he is called.  He never
married, and now, 1911, is 87 years old.*
     Samuel C. Meeker, 81 years of age, still youthful and active for his age, resides in the home his parents built 93 years ago.*  The aged broth-

--------------
    
*Now deceased.

[Pg. 168]
ers have become strong Spiritualists and firm in the belief of another life beyond this one.  Both dwell much upon the anticipation of again meeting their mother, whose memory to them is most precious.  Enoch Meeker died in 1867, and his wife in 1874.

     The children of Enoch and Susanna Meeker:
 
Nathan Cook Meeker, b. 1817; m. Arvilla Smith of Clairdon.  He died in Greely, Cal.
Stephen Cary Meeker, b. 1819; m. Adra Hendershott.
Rufus Clinton Meeker
, b. 1824; unmarried; d. 1812.
  Samuel Cleveland Meeker, b. 1830; m. Lida Shaw.
Henry Clay Meeker
, died young.
Martha Meeker, the only daughter, died at 12 years of age to the livelong sorrow evidently of her brothers.

     Stephen Meeker, the third of the pioneer brothers, settled on what is now the north-east corner of Mayfield and Taylor Roads, a site now occupied by Dr. Milliken.  Nothing has been secured of this family save the names and marriages.

     Stephen and Elizabeth Chips Meeker came to Cleveland about 1818. 
Their children were:
Ebline Meeker,  b. 1820 in Cleveland; m. Oscar Brown.  She died 1811.
Kate Meeker, m. Dr. Richard Houghton.
Ogden Meeker,
m. Mary Bebee of Parma.
Naomi Meeker, m. Edwin Duty.  She died 1860, leaving two children.
  Harriet Meeker m. William Hart of Mt. Vernon, O.
Morris Meeker went to Australia
Elizabeth Meeker, m. Marion Minor.
Charlotte Meeker
, m. Asa Curtis of Wheeler, Ind.
Susan Meeker, m. William C. Brace.

---------------

1816

THE NOTABLE SUMMER CALLED "THE COLD SUMMER"

     There were severe frosts every month of this year all over New England.  There was no corn raised, and very little hay or oats.  All kinds of vegetables were cut down by frost when half grown.  This caused great poverty and suffering in that section of the country.  Horses and cattle had to be almost given away, or killed because of the lack of fodder.
     "The winter of 1816-1817 was extremely severe, and the following spring was so backward that New England farmers were plunged in despair.  In June the hills along the Connecticut Valley were almost as barren as an ordinary November.  Cattle died by thousands, and many farmers' families came near perishing from starvation."

[Pg. 169]

     This unprecented weather was also experienced in Ohio, and caused much poverty and suffering.

1816

     Cleveland's first bank was organized in this year, the Commercial Bank of Lake Erie.  President, Alfred Kelley; Cashiner, Leonard CaseDirectors, John H. Strong, Samuel Williamson, Philo Taylor, George Wallace, David Long, Erastus Miles, Seth Doan.

     (Sketches of all the above pioneers and their families will be found in this volume.)

     Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, Cleveland's first church, was organized November 9th.  Timothy Doan Moderator; Charles Gear, Clerk; Phineas Shephard, Abraham Scott, Wardens; Timothy Doan, Abraham Hickox, Jonathan Pelton, Vestrymen; Dennis Cooper, Reading Clerk.

     The following year were added:  John Wilcox, Alfred Kelley, Thomas M. Kelley, IRad Kelley, Noble H. Merwin, David Long, Darious C. Henderson, PHilo Covil.
     Rev. Roger Searl
of Plymouth, Conn.,
Rector.

     Of the above names those of Gear, Cooper, and Henderson have not been located by the writer.

--------------

1816

TAYLOR

     The first Superintendent of the first Cleveland Sabbath School and a charter member of the Old Stone Church cannot but be an interesting personage to every one to whom that organization is dear through ancestry association or membership.
     Deacon Elisha Taylor was no ordinary man.  He was very much alive in whatever community he lived, always working for its  commercial, social, and moral uplift. He was a temperance man of the most ardent type, working and pleading with the council of the little hamlet and with individuals to stamp out an evil that had fastened itself upon the infant community, causing untold sorrow and misery.  He was one of the very earliest of dry-goods merchants, those preceding him dealing more with Indians than white people, and trading mostly in furs.
     His store and dwelling combined was on the south side of Superior Street, between Bank and Seneca, and into this from Cherry Valley, N. Y., he came in 1816, when about 32 years of age, bringing his small stock of goods, his household furniture, and his young wife and child. 
     Mrs. Elisha Taylor was Miss Anna Dunlap of Schenectady, N. Y., one of four sisters who lived here at a very early day.  She was not strong,

[Pg. 170]
the climate was a terrible ordeal, even for those best fitted to resist its deadly malaria, and so at the birth of her fifth child, in 1824, she died, and was buried in Erie Street Cemetery.
     Whether this sad event or the state of his own health influenced him, we have no record, but two years afterward he returned to Cherry Valley, retiring upon a farm where he remained about eight years, and in 1843, after a brief sojourn in New York City, he came back to Cleveland.
     It can be imagined what a reception he received from the church he had helped found, now well established and prosperous, and from the old neighbors yet surviving.  Perhaps it was the dear associations of that earlier time that drew his feet westward again.
     He had sold out to T. P. May, and his former store was now “May and Barnett,” but he soon established another store, and continued the same line of business for a few years, then dealt in real-estate until his death, aged 75 years.

     Only three children of Elisha and Anna Dunlap Taylor reached maturity.  They were:
Alfred Taylor, b. 1820;
     m. 1st Maria Dewey;
     2nd, Helen A. M. LeonardMrs. Helen Taylor had three children reach maturity, Rev. Frederick, Harry, and Bessie TaylorAlfred Taylor was drowned in the Ohio River in 1864, while in the service of his country.
John William Taylor, b. 1824,
     m. 1st, Anna Sexton of Albany, who
  had one child, Anna Louise Taylor, now living in Washington, D. C.;
     2nd, Clara Cushing of Springfield, Ohio, who had one child, Edith Taylor;
    
3rd, Sarah Bell Cushing, a niece of his second wife.
Louise Taylor, only sister of Alfred and John W. Taylor,
     married H. F. Waite, and died in 1849, in early womanhood.

     Some time after the death of his wife, Anna Dunlap, Elisha Taylor married Elisabeth Ely, a daughter of Nathaniel Ely of Long Meadow, and of a distinguished Massachusetts family.  She was about 35 years of age at her marriage, and well fitted to care for the very young children entrusted to her.  She was a very calm, quiet woman, who never made remarks to be regretted or answered a question hastily.  She had a little habit, peculiar to herself, of placing her finger to her lips, pondering over the subject, and then saying, “I think it was so and so,” and one felt sure that her “think” outweighed the affirmative of several others combined.
     She outlived her husband 13 years, dying in 1874.  After Mr. Taylor’s return from the east, he built a large stone cottage on what was
once Vine Street off Woodland Ave.
     The family rest in Erie Street Cemetery, not far from the Erie Street entrance.

[Pg. 171]

1816

WILLARD

     In the year 1816, or near that date, the north side of Euclid Avenue, from the corner of Willson Avenue west to the corner of Case Avenue, now East 55th and 40th streets, came into the possession of one man.  It was an original 100-acre lot, extending north to what is now Payne Avenue, and for 40 years or more was known as the “Willard Farm,” because a family of that name owned and occupied it.
     John Oliver Willard, of French descent in one line, was born in New Haven, Conn.  In 1809 he married Selinda Lamb.  They had two children born to them in New Haven, Sarah and Harrison Willard, and while their children were very young the parents bought the Euclid Road Farm of the Connecticut Land Company.
     The purchase price probably was $150, and on deferred payments, as land in the vicinity was offered several years later, for $2 an acre.  What an almost incredible change of value has 100 years witnessed!  The tract was then covered with forest trees, save the little cleared space (a knoll), upon which stood the small farm-house.
     Beautiful mansions have adorned it in the past years, some of which are still standing, others torn down.  The Judge Andrews home, that of Judge Burke, the residence of the Masons, Zenos King, Bissells, Hales, and that of Sylvester Everett.  But recently a shallow lot with but a frontage of 35 feet on Euclid Avenue was leased for a long term of years at many thousands of dollars’ rental for each year.  And yet the $150 proved a crushing debt to the poor pioneer of that early day.  It was a hard struggle, in the midst of which he died of consumption.  His heroic eldest daughter, Sarah Willard, when but a child, worked as a maid for neighboring farmers in order to help pay the balance due, and save the home.
     Meanwhile, the Connecticut Land Company agents began to make trouble for the family.  The latter’s rights to the property had to be defended by the widow and children for many successive years, but they won at last.  In this they were assisted by Ashley Ames of Newburgh, who had married Sarah Willard.
     Euclid Avenue near E. 55th Street has been much graded and lowered from its early level.  There was once a steep sand bank on the north-west corner, after Willson or E. 55th Street was cut through the property.
     The children of John O. and Selinda Willard:
Sarah Willard, born 1810;
     married Ashley Ames of Newburgh
Harrison Willard,
     married Wealthy Pierre of East Cleveland
Adelia A. Willard, born in Cleveland;
     married Mathew Howe.
  Eliot Willard,
     married Ruth Hudson of East Cleveland
Rufus Willard,
     married Mary Allen of Olmsted Falls.

     Harrison Willard died comparatively young, leaving three children.
They were:
Sarah Willard,
     married David Featherstone; lived in Chicago, Ill.
  Gertrude Willard,
     married George Carriff; live in Washington, D. C.
Clara Willard, married Richardson, a Civil War soldier.

     Adelia Willard Howe had one daughter, Mary Howe, who married John Baisch.

[Pg. 172]
     Mr. Howe
was a southern gentleman who died young.
     Elliot Willard lived on the farm, and in 1856 was a market-gardener, raising fruit and vegetables.  His children were:
Clistia Willard
John Willard
Adelia Willard
  Hudson Willard,
Thomas Willard
Mary Willard

---------------

1816

WHITE

     Deacon Moses White and his wife were for so many years associated in the mind and in the remembrance of Cleveland proper that it is difficult to write of one without more or less mention of the other.  He was the son of Jacob and ______ Penniman White, and in 1816, when twenty-five years of age, turned his back upon the old town of Mendon, Mass., where
he was born, and started life anew in the little hamlet of Cleveland.  He was a tailor, and the prospects for his line of work must at once have been flattering, for the following year he sought a business partner and a wife, finding both in the person of Miss Mary Andrews, a young tailoress living in Providence, R. I.  They took the fashionable six weeks’ wedding journey of that day, one that led westward without any return road, and they traveled the usual way, in their own conveyance.
     Superior Street was their first home, a small frame-house on the south side of it, and here they lived for some years, then moved into a fine new brick house on the north-west corner of St. Clair and Bank streets.  It had a large side-yard filled with fruit-trees and shrubbery.  Years afterward, they flitted to the north-east corner of Prospect and Brownell, where they both died.
     Mrs. White was tall, spare, and dignified.  She was a quiet, modest, blue-eyed woman, the mother of eight children, only two of whom reached maturity.  The malarious air of early Cleveland was severe on childhood, and the young people who lived were indeed the survival of the fittest in physical strength and endurance.  Little Minerva White’s grave was the first one dug for a child in the Erie Street Cemetery, and after the funeral, Eliza, afterward Mrs. Jesse Bishop, exclaimed tearfully, “They buried little sister way out in the woods!”
     Added to her family and household cares was the assistance Mrs. White rendered her husband in his business, often adding eight dollars a week to the mutual fund that insured financial independence in future years.  Besides her skill as a tailoress, she was an exquisite needle woman.  A beautiful piece of embroidery on white satin hearing her maiden name and the year 1812, hangs framed, near to an oil-painting of herself, upon the wall of her son’s home on Cedar Avenue.  Close by is the old clock that ticked faithfully year in and year out for the dear old Deacon and his wife, and still making correct time.  Here, also, are the brass andirons, the first of their kind owned in Cleveland.

[Pg. 173]

     Among other accomplishments, Mrs. White was a notable cook, but she often referred with quiet humor to the first pig possessed by the family.  He was such an accommodating pig, disposing, with apparent relish, of all the culinary mistakes and failures, for she had been heretofore too busy with her needle to acquaint herself with the mysteries of frying-pan and bake-oven.
     She was a model mother-in-law, never entering her son’s home with empty hands.  There was always an offering of interest and affection.  Once in assisting her daughter-in-law in some culinary efforts and finding a necessary article conspicuous by its absence, she chided her son, exclaiming, “What sort of a husband are you making, Charles, to let Emma get out of flour!”  She died in _____, and the good Deacon survived her.

     Children of Moses and Mary Andrews White:
Eliza White,
     m. Judge Jesse Bishop of Vergennes, Vt.
Charles White,
     m. Emma Monroe
  daughter of Henry and Lucinda E. Dabny Monroe of Providence.

     The Beldens lived west of the Whites on St. Clair Street, on a large adjoining lot.

--------------

1816

WATERMAN

    The first courthouse and jail was built by Levi Johnson in 1812 and 1813.  It stood on the north-west corner of the Public Square, faced the south, and was two stories high.  There were two doors and two windows in the lower story front, and four windows in the upper story.  A description of the north side of it has never been given, except that it contained a little grated window high up in the prison side of the building, to which little boys used to climb in awed curiosity and peek in at a prisoner confined there.  The west half of the building was the jail, and the eastern half was the jailer’s dwelling.  The whole upper floor was devoted to court purposes.
     Eleazar Watterman is the first jailer mentioned in any history of Cleveland.  Watterman is a very early Rhode Island name, and Eleazar occurs frequently in the annals of that family.  But the immediate ancestry of this pioneer Watterman cannot be learned.  He married Dorcas
Hickox, “Uncle AbramHickox’s daughter, in 1817, and took her to live in the part of the courthouse assigned to the jailer.  The accommodations
consisted of but one room, but it was a large one, and doubtless was partitioned off, as were the log-cabins of the day, into smaller ones by
screens made of quilts and blankets.
     Afterward, Mr. Watterman was a justice of the peace, recorder, and from 1825 to 1828, he was president ex-officio of the village council.  He

[Pg. 174]
seems to have been a man who commanded the respect of his neighbors.  He met with an accident in 1828 that resulted ultimately in his death.  The only child of Eleazar and Dorcas HIckox Watterman was William Watterman.  His mother, assisted by her sister, Lucinda Hickox, raised him to successful manhood.  He married Sarah Stafford, and his home was on Woodland Avenue.  For many years he was treasurer of Erie County.

     The children of William and Sarah Sanford Watterman:
 
William Watterman.
Francis Watterman.
Helen Watterman,
   
 m. James B.
  Worthington of Elyria;
     2nd,
Mr. Rockefeller.
Charles Watterman.

     The Watterman family all lie in Woodland Cemetery.

---------------

1816

WOLCOTT

     The social life of the hamlet received a notable addition about 1816, through the arrival of the Wolcott family from Windsor, Conn.
     Mr. Albert Wolcott was the son of Brig. General Erastus Wolcott, who commanded a regiment under Gen. Washington at Boston, and the grandson of Governor Roger Wolcott of Connecticut, also the nephew of Gov. Mathew Griswald.  He brought with him to Cleveland Gov. Wolcott’s family Bible, which subsequently was deposited in the Hart ford, Conn., museum by his grandson, Stoughton Bliss of Cleveland, and it is still on exhibition there. Albert Wolcott was 56 years old when he came to Ohio.  His wife, Hannah Loomis Wolcott, had died in 1807 , leaving him with a family of grown children.  Soon after her death, he lost his only son.  In making the change of residence, it was too late for him to hope for any pecuniary results, and yet he was at the time of life to keenly feel the severance of old ties.  Moreover, existence at that day in Cleveland was one of hardship and self-denial.
     The remaining children, all girls, accompanied him.  They were:
Hannah, b. 1786, Cynthia, Laura, and Elisabeth Wolcott.  Cynthia had previously been married to William Bliss.  All of the sisters are recalled as gentle and very refined.  How could they be otherwise, considering their forebears?  And what cruel change of fortune could have driven them into the wilderness? for Cleveland was not much less in 1816.
     Madam Mary Severance, the granddaughter of John Walworth, recalls the sisters in very pleasing fashion.  As a very little girl, she was quite familiar with their personal appearance.  Upon church and state occasions they wore merino shawls exactly alike, with pretty colored centers and gay borders.  They were especially attractive to the child because there were none others like them in town.  One bright Sabbath

[Pg. 175]
Morning, when walking up Superior Street towards the Square, she notice the Wolcott sisters ahead of her on their way to church, and hastened her steps so as to be near them.  And as she gazed admiringly at the way they walked and carried themselves, she resolved that when she grew up she would be just like some of them, but which one she could not decide, as they were equally unusual and admirable.  Two of them lived to be very aged.
     The Wolcott family, father and daughters, where buried in Erie Street Cemetery.

---------------

1816

SCOVIL

     A young man 25 years old, who came to town in 1816, evidently thought when he started west from his Connecticut home, that drugs and groceries were the things our village needed most, as he brought with him a supply of these commodities, and opened them up in a small way on the south side of Superior Street near Water.  He gradually eliminated the groceries from his stock and sold drugs only, and then, after the lapse of a few years, realizing that there were more dealers in every sort of merchandise than the size of the place warranted, that he was not experienced in that line of business himself, having previously learned the carpenter’s trade, and that carpenters, not merchants, were then most in demand, he discarded the drug business altogether, and returned to his legitimate and most useful occupation.
     Among the buildings that Philo Scovil soon erected was a small frame-store and dwelling for Nathan Perry, Jr., on the corner of Superior and Water streets.  It superseded a log one built in 1806 by Nathan Perry, Sr., and which had been in use by father and son about 20 years.  In part payment for this work, Mr. Scovil took a 66-foot Superior Street lot just east of the building.  It ran back to Frankfort Street, and today is worth a fortune.  Yet he offered to sell it for $300.  Not only the lot, but a quantity of building material he had hauled onto it and concluded not to use.  Evidently no one jumped at the offer.
     He built a large, three-story frame-structure on the lot for the purposes of a tavern, which was one of the needs of the town just then, the small taverns in use being inadequate for the traveling public.  He named it the “Franklin House,” and it was regarded as a magnificent structure.  It had the regulation front platform extending its whole width, and reached by steps.  Whether Mr. Scovil failed in a plan to rent it, or intended from the first to run it himself, no one can say.  The fact remains that he kept the tavern for long years, and it became one of the city’s oldest landmarks.
     Philo Scovil was born in Salisbury, Conn., 1791, and died in Cleveland, 1875.  His father was Timothy Scovil, a wheelwright, and a soldier of the American Revolution.  He was fourth in descent from Samuel Scovill of Saybrook, Conn., the first American ancestor.  Mrs. Philo Scovil was

[Pg. 176]

 

[Pg. 177]

 

 

 

 

---------------

1816

SHEPARD

 

 

 

 

[Pg. 178]

 

[Pg. 179]
     The oldest child of this family, it will be observed, was 24 years old when the youngest one was born.  Miles left his home early and struck out for himself.  When William was about 12 years of age, his father sent him to a church school in or near Columbus, Ohio.  On his way there in a stage-coach he stopped over night at an obscure country tavern.  He got into conversation with a man who asked him his name. “Any relation of Phineas Shepard?” he inquired.  “I am his son,” was the reply.  “You are! Well, my partner who is now out in the barn is another son of Phineas Shepard.”  Thereupon William hastened to seek this brother, who proved to be Miles whom he had never met before, and never met again, as the latter went to the far west soon afterward.
     Only the marriages of the five younger children can be secured.  Whether the older ones died or removed to western states, is not known.  The younger daughters of the family were very attractive women.  Amelia was unusually intelligent and quite a belle. Elizabeth and Flora Lavinia Shepard were both beautiful girls and greatly admired. 
     Mrs. Deliverance Shepard died and was buried in Cleveland.  She was noted for her kind, neighborly acts, and for her wonderful skill as a nurse.  Her services were freely given and always gratuitous.  Consequently, she was much beloved in the community.
     In 1833 Phineas Shepard, Sr., married 2nd, Mrs. Flora MacIntyre.  He died in 1842 at the home of his daughter, Flora L. Jackson, and at the age of 85, after a life replete with good works.

-------------------------

1816

CASE

     Leonard Case was the son of Meshack and Magdalene Eckstein Case, a poor German couple living on a farm in Westmoreland Co., Pa.  About the year 1800, with their family of eight children, of whom Leonard was the oldest, they removed to Warren, Trumbull County, O., with a view, probably, of bettering their condition.
     Here, at the age of fourteen, Leonard was stricken with what may have been infantile paralysis, a disease at that time not recognized as such.  The symptoms, now so familiar, were quite pronounced in his case, the burning fever followed by crippled limbs.*  This illness left him lame and unable to do active work.
     He studied surveying with no purpose of following that occupation, as events proved.  Then he secured a position in the courthouse of Trumbull County and, in the Recorder’s office, made himself familiar with the records of the Connecticut Land Company.  During the War of 1812 he was engaged in collecting delinquent taxes.
     When the Commercial Bank of Lake Erie was organized in 1816 the question of a cashier was under discussion, and Judge Kingsbury was asked to recommend a suitable person for that office.  “I know a young
-------------------------
* It was always attributed, however, to a severe cold.

[Pg. 180]
man in Warren named ‘Case’ who writes a plain hand and is quick at figures,” he replied. And Leonard Case, Sr., became the first cashier of the first Cleveland bank, the first county auditor, and between 1821 and 1825, president of the village council. Meantime he had studied law and entered the bar. When the bank failed in 1820 he practised law, and dealt in real-estate the remainder of his business life.
     In 1817 Leonard Case, Sr., married, in Stow, O., Elizabeth Gaylord of Middletown, Conn.  He bought a small house on Superior Street near the corner of Bank Street, originally the Stiles lot.  Here the couple began housekeeping, and here they remained for nine years.  The first bank of which Mr. Case was cashier and afterward president occupied the front of this house.  Both their sons were born there.
     In 1829 the family removed to a small frame-house standing on the present site of the post-office.  It faced the Public Square and its length, which was greater in proportion than its width, stood close to the sidewalk of Superior Street.  The windows of the house were small and the lower sashes of them were always hung with short curtains of red calico or unbleached cotton.  In all the succeeding years of increasing prosperity, from 1829 to 1856, the family continued to live in this house.
     It has been told the writer that Mrs. Case was very domestic in her tastes and seldom left her home except on errands for her household.  She rarely called upon her neighbors, and was never in any sense a frequenter of society.
     In 1856 Mr. Case moved into a double brick house on Rockwell Street at the corner of Wood, East 3rd Street, a residence he had owned for some years.  He had sold the other site to the government for a post office and custom-house.  Mr. Case died within the following year.
     It is curious to note that Leonard Case yearly acquired real-estate but did not sell it.  In 1833 he advertises ten-year leaseholds on four-rod lots fronting Superior, Bank, St. Clair and Lake streets, the last one ten rods in depth.
     There were several periods of great financial depression between 1812 and 1860, when business men in desperate straits were obliged to offer very valuable real-estate as security for comparatively small loans, and in numerous cases were unable to lift the debt.  The bank or individual who held the mortgage came into possession of the property.
     In the terrible panic of 1837 the Commercial Bank of Lake Erie, recently reorganized with Leonard Case as its president, acquired a large amount of real-estate in this manner.
     Whole pages of local newspapers during the early ’40s were filled with sheriff’s notices of delinquent tax-sales, to be held on the steps of the courthouse.  It is interesting to note how many well-known citizens of that day were unable to pay their taxes.  At those sheriff-sales there were few bidders, but the man who had money could secure valuable real-estate for a song.  Of course, it could be redeemed, and sometimes was, but more often it was so many years before the owners were in a position to pay back taxes, interest and charges that no effort was made to reclaim it.
It has been stated to the writer that much of the immense fortune

[Pg. 181]

 

made by Mr. Case in real-estate was founded upon the opportunities above mentioned.
     The children of Leonard and Elizabeth Case:
William Case, b. 1818; died unmarried, 1862 Leonard Case, Jr., b. 1820; died, unmarried, 1880

     Neither of these sons was robust.  Although much of William’s life was spent in outdoor sports and recreation he died of consumption at the age of forty-two.  He possessed much of his father’s business ability, and relinquished his desire to attend college in order to assist his father in the management of his property.  He also had railroad interests that made demands upon his time.  He was fond of natural history and of hunting.  His father’s law-office that stood for so many years north of the homestead was converted by him into what would now be called a “den,” but which he dubbed the “Ark.”  Here he kept his treasured specimens and the trophies of hunting expeditions.  Here, with his brother, he welcomed congenial friends and organized them into a club, only one member of which now survives.
     William Case was mayor of the city in 1850 and ’51.
     Leonard Case, Jr., was born delicate, and for sixty years struggled with continuous ill-health.  He is said to have been a lovable man, kind hearted and generous-minded.  His instincts were scholarly, and, perhaps because he was barred from close study, he placed great value upon liberal education.  His own well-equipped library and that of his brother formed the nucleus of the Case Library, which he richly endowed.
     Four years previous to his death Leonard Case, Jr., placed a million dollars to the credit of an institution to be called “The Case School of Applied Science.”  It was housed at first in the Case homestead on Rock well Street, where he and his brother had lived, but long since has occupied stately buildings on Euclid Avenue beyond East 107th Street.

---------------

1816

BLISS

 

[Pg. 182]

 

[Pg. 183]

 

[Pg. 184]

 

[Pg. 185]

 

 

 

1817
SHERMAN

     Ephraim Sherman, Jr., and his family came to town in 1817.  His father, Ephraim Sherman, Sr., accompanied them, but his mother Mary Sherman, remained east, expecting to join the family when it was well established in the new home.  The Shermans were originally from Grafton, Mass., but in 1803 removed to Walpole, N. H., where they resided 14 years and again sold out and came to Ohio.  The family were descendants of Roger Sherman, and were very proud of the fact.  Mrs. Sherman, Remember Cooke, was born in Rhode Island, but married in Grafton, Mass.
     Ephraim Sherman, Sr., and his son settled on Broadway, but seemed to be disappointed or dissatisfied with the conditions they encountered and the two men and older grandsons went to Vermilion, and built a large cabin of hewn logs, intending to make it the family home.  The women, left alone, were in constant fear of Indians and wild animals which abounded in the vicinity.  The former would frequently ask to stay all night by the Sherman fire-place, rolling themselves in their blankets and lying with their heads nearest the fire.  At such times until dawn.  The weird howling of wolves close to the cabin also was a sleep-destroyer.  The early settlers kept a big bonfire going near by their homes in order to intimidate wild animals.
     Once, Clarissa Sherman went to a spring for water, when an Indian sprang up from the thicket, and she ran for her life, screaming all the way home.  But the red men meant no harm and doubtless understood that the Sherman household of women were afraid of them, and took advantage of it to have some fun with them.
     Mary Sherman never came to Ohio, for her husband died in Vermilion in 1818.  The following year, the whole family, who, meanwhile had moved to that town, were all very ill with malaria, and Ephraim, Jr., also died.  He was buried in a cemetery that eventually was washed into the lake, and the bones of both father and son were carried away by the waves.
     Mr. Remember Cook Sherman, and all but three of her large family of children returned to Walpole.  One of her daughters, Harriet Sherman Stafford, married and lived in a beautiful home in Lowell, Mass.  Here the mother was tenderly cared for in her old age, and in every way possible, carried to forget the long years of change, trial and sore bereavement.  She died in 1841, aged 78.
     The three Sherman children remaining in Cleveland were Nancy, Clarissa and RememberNancy had become the second wife of
Capt.

[Pg. 186]
W. W. Williams, Jr., of Newburg.  Clarissa and Remember lived with her a year or two, then Clarissa married Arial Harris, son of Calvin and Susannah Bullock Harris, and Remember married Frederick Onstine of Amherst, Ohio.

1817

STEWART

     Samuel Stewart came to Newburgh in 1817, and located on land now occupied by the Kinsman Street Reservoir.  He married Cherry Edwards, daughter of Rudolphus Edwards.  He kept a country tavern and roadhouse many years.
     Samuel and Cherry Stewart had four sons:
 
Jehiel Stewart, m. Sophia Thomas
Noble Stewart,
removed to Marion County and married there.
Calvin Stewart.
Rudolphus Stewart,
m. Margaret Sayles.

---------------

1817

SARGEANT

     Levi Sargent was born in Vermont in 1777.  He married in 1804, Rosamond Harris of Connecticut, but the wedding took place in Plainfield, N. H.  Their first children were born in Vermont.  He evidently moved to Plainfield, N. H., for their third children was born there.  He lived in Carthage, near Rochester, N. Y., about 1813, and  four years later left that place for Monroe, Mich.  The prospects there proved unfavorable, and again he made a change, this time a permanent one.  He reached Cleveland in 1818, and lived in a small red house on the west side of Water Street, the same house probably, in which David Clark lived and died.
     Mr. Sargeant entered into partnership with Abram Hickox, whose blacksmith shop stood on the south side of Superior Street near Seneca Street.  Mr. Sargeant  evidently retained his shop here long after taking up residence on the West Side.  In the early '30s, he calls for helpers in his work, stipulating that men must be of good moral character.  This unusual man.  Probably there never lived in Cleveland one who maintained higher ideals of morality and honesty.
     Mr. Sargeant was a strong character.  She was a famous nurse ready to respond to the call for help whenever needed.  And in those days, that meant almost continuously, for the hamlet was scourged with malarial fever, year after year.  Mr. Sargeant built the second house

Page 187 -
erected on Detroit Street, West Side, where they died, he in 1862, and Mrs. Sergeant in 1866.

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

CLICK HERE to Return to
CUYAHOGA COUNTY
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights