A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Wayne County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of Wayne County, Ohio
from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time
Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 


Pg. 677

(Contributed by Sharon Wick)

     GREENE TOWNSHIP was organized February 5, 1817, and took its name from Major General Nathaniel Greene, a revolutionary soldier, and a native of Warwick Rhode Island.  The population in 1870 was 2,715.  The following is the official records of the township since its organization:

Justices of the Peace -
1817 - David McConahay, George Boydston; 1820 - Thomas Smith, George Boydston;
1823 - Benjamin Sanford, Thomas Smith;
1826 - Jesse McKinly, Thomas Smith
1829 - Jacob Bowman, Thomas Smith;
1833 - Jacob Bowman, Joseph Wilford;
1836 - John Musser, Joseph Wilford;
1839 - Simon Ruble, Thomas Washburn;
1842 - Simon Ruble, Thomas Darrough;
1845 - William Taggart, David Kling;
1848 - Simon Ruble, Thomas Darrough;
1851 - David Kling, John Zimmerman;
1854 - David Kling, John Zimmerman;
1857 - Smith Orr, John Zimmerman;
1860 - Peter Walters, John Zimmerman;
1864 - D. L. Keiffer, Smith Orr;
1867 - D. K. Keiffer, A. E. Clark;
1870 - Thomas Fankle, A. E. Clark;
1873 - Henry Schriber, O. K. Griffith;
1876 - Henry Schriber, James Bodine.
1817 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, George Boydston, Thomas Hayse; Treasurer - Thomas Dawson; Clerk - David Boydston.
1818 - Trustees - David McConahay, David Boydston, Thomas Hayse; Treasurer - John Wade; Clerk - Benjamin Boydston.
1819 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, William Ruffcorn, Jonathan Casebier; Treasurer - Samuel Wilford;  Clerk - Benjamin Boydston.
1820 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, William Ruffcorn, Thomas Smith; Treasurer - Samuel Wilford; Clerk - Jacob Breakbail.
1821 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, William Ruffcorn, George Smith; Treasurer - Samuel Wilford; Clerk - Benjamin Boydston.
1822 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, William Ruffcorn, Adam Peckinpaugh; Treasurer - Samuel Wilford; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1823 - Trustees - John Wade, John Winkler, Joseph Wilford; Treasurer - Samuel Wilford; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1824 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, William Ruffcorn, Adam Peckinpaugh; Treasurer - George Carson; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1825 - Trustees - Abram Feightner, James Long, Jacob Breakbail; Treasurer - Thomas Hayse; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1826 - Trustees - Abraham Feightner, James Long, Samuel Furgason; Treasurer - Thomas Hayse; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1827 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, Jacob Bowman, Thomas Smith; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1828 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, Jacob Bowman, Benjamin Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk Adam Kieffer.
1829 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, Jacob Bowman, Benjamin Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1830 - Trustees - John Winkler, George Leasure, Samuel Furgason; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1831 - Trustees - John Winkler, George Leasure, Samuel Furgason; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1832 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, Jacob Hess, Jacob Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1833 - Trustees - Peter Flickinger, Jacob Hess, Jacob Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1834 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Musser, Jacob Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1835 - Trustees - John Musser, John Winkler, Jacob Erb; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1836 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Capp, David Brenizer; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1837 - Trustees - John Winkler, Tomas Darrough, Evans Burgin; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1838 - Trustees - John Winkler, Thomas Darrough, Simon Bowman; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1839 - Trustees - John Winkler, Thomas Darrough, Simon Bowman; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1840 - Trustees - John Winkler, Thomas Darrough, Simon Bowman; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1841 - Trustees - John Winkler, Jacob Erb, Jacob Hess: Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1842 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Hoover, Joseph Weiler; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Adam Kieffer.
1843 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Hoover, Joseph Weiler; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Jacob Erb.
1844 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Hoover, Joseph Weiler; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - Jacob Erb.
1845 - Trustees - John Winkler, Jacob Hess, Peter Walters; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - John Myers.
1846 - Trustees - John Winkler, John Capp, Joseph Klepper; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - John Myers.
1846 - Trustees - John Winkler, Adam Kieffer, John Capp, Joseph Klepper; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - John Myers.
1847 - Trustees - John Winkler, Adam Kieffer, Daniel Schriber; Treasurer - Peter Flickinger; Clerk - John Myers.
1848 - Trustees - John Winkler, Adam Kieffer, Daniel Schriber; Treasurer - Joseph Klepper; Clerk - John Myers.
1849 - Trustees - John Winkler, Daniel Schriber, John Zimmerman; Treasurer - Joseph Klepper; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1850 - Trustees - John Winkler, David Kling, John Zimmerman; Treasurer - Joseph Klepper; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1851 - Trustees - Daniel Lightfoot, Daniel Schriber, John Zimmerman; Treasurer - David Kling; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1852 - Trustees - John Winkler, Daniel Lightfoot, Christian Brenneman; Treasurer - David Kling; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1853 - Trustees - John Winkler, Christian Brenneman, Henry Hoover; Treasurer - David Kling; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1854 - Trustees - Christian Brennaman, Henry Hoover, Jacob Hess; Treasurer - David Kling; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1856 - Trustees - Henry Hoover, David Arick, H. H. Webb; Treasurer - David Kling ; Clerk - Peter Walters.
1857 - Trustees - John Erb, George Hurding, Jacob Gardner; Treasurer - Jacob Hess; Clerk - John Myers.
1858 - Trustees - Robert Hutchison, Jacob Gardner, John Myers; Treasurer - Jacob Hess; Clerk - C. N. Storrs.
1859 - Trustees - Emanuel Schriber, J. W. Watters, Jacob Baughman; Treasurer - Jacob Hess; Clerk - C. N. Storrs.
1860 - Trustees - Emanuel Schriber, Samuel Brenizer, Robert Hutchinson; Treasurer - Jacob Hess; Clerk - C. N. Storrs.
1861 - Trustees - Christian Brenneman, Emanuel Schriber, Samuel Brenizer; Treasurer - J. W. Winkler; Clerk - Jacob Reaser.
1862 - Trustees - Andrew Ault, Daniel Holser, George Starn; Treasurer - James Gray; Clerk - Moses Morrett.
1863 - Trustees - Andrew Ault, Daniel Holser, Peter Zell; Treasurer - James Gray; Clerk - Frederick Seas.
1864 - Trustees - Christian Brenneman, James Bodine, Abraham Huffman; Treasurer - James Gray; Clerk - Frederick Seas.
1865 - Trustees - Jacob Gardner, James Bodine, Josiah Foutch; Treasurer - James Gray; Clerk - Frederick Seas.
1866 - Trustees - James Bodine, Jacob Gardner, Isaac Winger; Treasurer - Jacob Reaser; Clerk - C. T. Clark.
1867 - Trustees - James Bodine, Jacob Gardner, Isaac Winter; Treasurer - Jacob Reaser; Clerk - C. T. Clark.
1868 - Trustees - James Bodine, Jacob Gardner, Isaac Winger; Treasurer - Jacob Reaser; Clerk - C. T. Clark.
1869 - Trustees - James Bodine, Christian Brenneman, William Myers; Treasurer - Jacob Reaser; Clerk - C. T. Clark.
1870 - Trustees - J. M. Flickinger, L. S. Taggart, William Myers; Treasurer - Jacob Reaser; Clerk - O. Lademore.
1871 - Trustees - J. M. Flickinger, E. H. Milton, William Myers; Treasurer - John Myers; Clerk - Jeremiah Stutzman.
1872 - Trustees - J. M. Flickinger, E. H. Milhon, J. J. Weiler; Treasurer - John Myers; Clerk - Jeremiah Stutzman.
1873 - Trustees - J. M. Flickinger, E. H. Milhon, J. J. Weiler; Treasurer - John Myers; Clerk - H. J. Smith.
1874 - Trustees - Frederick Seas, William Pontius, Joseph Bricker; Treasurer - John Myers; Clerk - J. J. Smith.
1875 - Trustees - Frederick Seas, William Pontius, Peter Zell; Treasurer - Isaac Schriber; Clerk - O. Ladimore.


     The early inhabitants of this observed one peculiarity in the first occupancy of it.  It was a wilderness, overgrown with timber, with the exception of about twelve acres on the south-west quarter of section three, which was clear of trees, stumps, and even roots, and was called by the early settlers "the Indian's Field."
     A tradition runs, as early as 1802, a party of four young men, who had passed from Pennsylvania to Cleveland, and leaving the latter place for "Tuscarawa," now Coshocton, were attacked by the Indians and one of their number killed, when the remaining three retreated by the line of trees they had blazed.  The bullet that killed the young man entered a small oak tree, which the Indians notched high above the ground.  A few years thereafter two of these young men, accompanied by others, returned to the spot of the murder, discovered the notched three, but saw o remains of the dead comrade.  This would be the first death in the township.
     The first settlement made within its present limits was in 1811, by Michael Thomas with his wife and seven children.  He emigrated from Washington county, Pa., and settled upon the southwest quarter of section 33, now known as the Bechtel farm; and was followed by Thomas Boydston and his wife who came from Pennsylvania, and who settled on the north-west quarter of the same section.  For three yeas these were the only settlers in Greene township.  In 1814 Lorenzo Winkler and family came from Virginia, and settled on section 22.  The emigration was meager until 1815.  Among other of the early settlers of the neighborhood, were, George Boydston, David McConahay, David Boydston, Thomas Hayes, David Antles, Thomas Dawson, John Wade, George Smith, Benjamin Boydston, Thomas Smith, Jacob Breakfield, John Harris, Douglas Wilford, Barter Harris, James Sparks, John Hobbs, Francis Shackler, Isaac Robbins, Phineas Burrwell, Thomas Johnston, John Bigham, Robert Calvins, Jacob Cook, Charles Kelley, Will Ruffcorn, George Carson, Jacob Brakbail and Thomas Alison.
In 1817 the population was 147, of which 26 were legal voters, and on application the township was formed.  April, 1817, the electors convened at the residence of William Barnett, on the northeast quarter of section 21 to choose their local officers.  David Boydston, Thomas Hayes, David McConahay and Thomas Dawson were appointed Judges, and Thomas Boylston and Jacob Breakfield, Clerks.
     Martha, daughter of Michael Thomas, was born September 25, 1812, the first birth in the township: the second, that of Richard Antles, February 3, 1813.  The first marriage was that of Liverton Thomas to Anna Wade, by "Priest" Jones, in 1815.  In 1819 the first saw-mill was put up, and built by Thomas Smith, on the site of the present grist-mill, at Smithville.  The first frame building was erected in 1822, on the present farm of Cyrus Hoover.  In the fall of 1815 John Wade built a hand-mill to crush corn for family use, which was situated upon the farm now owned by D. L. Kieffer.
On section 21 were visible remains of an Indian village as late as 1819.  The first State's warrant was issued April 5, 1818, by George Boydston, for the arrest of John Treasure, for assault and battery, upon complaint of Cephas Clark.  Treasure was a "fortune teller," and Clark had his fortune told "on tick;" the "teller" proved to be a liar, and Clark "bucked" and wouldn't pay, where upon Treasure got him "in chancery" and drafted "sirloins" on his "frontispiece."  Both were citizens of East Union township. 
     In 1812 the first sermon was preached in the township by Rev. Gray, at the house of Mr. Thomas.  In 1818 the first school was taught by Peter Kane, a student of Oxford, England, and the first school-house was built upon the north-west quarter of section 23 - a log cabin 18x22.  The second was taught by George Boydston, on the farm now owned by George Freeman; and the third was taught by Adam Kieffer, in 1824.
     The first death in Greene township, after its settlement, was December 27, 1817.  It occurred at a raising on the old Ruble farm, now owned by G. A. H. Myers, the victim being Christian Partshie, a stick of timber falling upon him.

     Smithville took its name from Thomas Smith, who, in 1818, erected the first house in the neighborhood, a cabin, located on the north-west side of the Portage road, in the vicinity of which he afterward, in 1831, laid out a village.  But on account of low grounds the site was vacated; and on May 25, 1836, David Birney, Sr., Joseph Musser, John Shroll and Luther Carey laid out a new village of forty-one lots, survey and plat made by Campbell Bell, being the central part of the present town of Smithville.  David Brenizer, who is still living in Smithville, put up the first building, on the corner now occupied by John Willaman's brick residence of Jacob Stutz, and the third was "Widow Johnson's tavern."  The first store in the original settlement was opened in 1818, by Reasin Beall, in one end of Thomas Smith's cabin.  The first Postmaster was Thomas Smith, under the first administration of Andrew Jackson.  The first store in the present village was opened by Judge Smith Orr and Jonathan Casebier, in the spring of 1837.


     There are nine different church organizations in this township, to wit: Methodists, Amish, German Baptists (Dunkards), Presbyterians, Winebrenarians, Lutherans, River Brethren, Brethren in Christ and in the United Brethren.  The first was organized in 1814, by the Methodists; the second in 1816, by the Amish; the third in 1826, by the German Baptists; the fourth in 1830, by the Presbyterians; the fifth in 1839, by the Winebrenarians; the sixth in 1843, by the Brethren in Christ; the seventh in 1844, by the Evangelical Lutherans; the eighth in 1845, by the United Brethren; and the ninth of 1867.

     Jacob S. Paul, a native of Cumberland county, Pa., was born May 22, 1820.  The self-reliant and resolute disposition of Mr. Paul developed itself quite prematurely, as at the age of twelve years he entered upon a clerkship in the store of Robert Sturgeon, of Churchtown, in his native county.  With him he remained for seven years, when a change of firm took place, Mr. Paul, however, remaining a similar period under the new management, meantime, obtaining an interest in the same.  At the end of two years he disposed of his share in the establishment, and sought a wider sphere for the exercise of his commercial genius.  Having some Acquaintances in Smithville, in 1848 he removed there, soon thereafter embarking in business with John Zimmerman, remaining with him three years, when for three years he gave his attention to farming.  For a period, he was variously engaged, but in 1862, resumed his mercantile pursuits in Smithville, where he continues in business.
     Mr. Paul has imparted to Smithville its reputation as a vital business center.  By fair dealing he has won the respect and confidence, and hence the patronage of the surrounding country.  In 1873 the business of his firm amounted to an excess of $115,000.  In 1873 he established a branch house at Shreve, under the style of Paul, Bricker & Co., which suddenly sprang into a deserved popularity.  His education was limited, receiving most of it from Jacob, son of Joseph Ritner, at one time Governor of Pennsylvania.  He is an earnest, wide-awake man, possessed of sagacity, shrewdness of calculation, business fidelity and stubborn adhesion to business honor.  He is of retiring disposition and covets no undue notoriety.  Thrown upon the world at an early age, he acquired habits of industry and self-dependence, which invariably insure success.  He has remarkable organizing and executive ability, and this, combined with his discretion and sound judgment makes him a successful business man.  He was married December 26, 1846, to Amanda C. Bricker, of Cumberland, Pa.

     Thomas Boydston settled in Greene township as early as the spring of 1811.  He was born in Green county, Pa., in December, 1786, and married Emily Burress, of Monongalia county, Virginia, the following children resulting from his first marriage: Boaz, Mary, Charles, Belinda, Presley and Enoch.  His wife Emily dying May 24, 1824, in East Union township, he was married a second time to Mary Brakefield, of Greene township, who died without issue.  A third time he was married to Elizabeth Steel, of East Union township, of which union the following children are living:  Solon, Sarah, Emily, Minerva, Eunice.  He died in Orrville, August 22, 1863, his wife still surviving him.

     John Winkler, the oldest living pioneer in Greene township, and first son of Lawrence Winkler, was born April 22, 1799, in Burke county, North Carolina, and came with his father to Greene township, Wayne county, Ohio, in the spring of 1814, to prepare the way for the rest of the family, who came in the fall.  In 1820 he married Miss Dorcas Wade, who died July 17, 1826, leaving one child.  November 22, 1827, he married Miss Margaret Wilford.

     Thomas Smith, after whom Smithville was named, was born May 14, 1788, in Washington county, Pa., and on January 9, 1815, was married to Miss Jane Wiley, of the same county.  In the spring of 1818, with his wife and two children, he immigrated to Greene township, and settled on the east half of the south-west quarter of section 18.

     Smithville High School. - This excellent educational institution was established in Smithville in August, 1865.  Professor J. B. Eberly was the first teacher, and now ins the popular principal.  The school first commenced in the old Presbyterian church, better known as the Synagogue.  About two years afterwards money was subscribed by the citizens of Smithville and vicinity to the amount of $5,000, to build a suitable building, which was erected, and, with the grounds, is valued at $10,000, and the boarding halls about the same, making a capital of about $20,000.  The average yearly attendance has been about 275 students of both sexes.  A large majority of the present teachers of Wayne county have been educated here, and many from other counties, especially Stark.  The school has no endowment, nor has it received any gift at any time, except as above mentioned.

     Officers of the School - President - Rev. D. Kosht, of Smithville; Secretary - B. Musser; Treasurer - Rev. James Baldwin; Board of Trustees - Benjamin Herschey, of Canton; D. B. Hotchkiss, of Limaville; David Shisler, of North Lawrence; Rev. John Excell, of Limaville; David Ecker, of Burbank; John Willaman, of Smithville.

     Instructors - J. B. Eberly, M. A., Principal, and Professor of Normal Department; Leonard Huber, M. A., a graduate of Munich University, Germany, Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages; Benjamin Musser, Principal of Mercantile Department; Mrs. Eugene G. Grenamyer, Principal Instrumental Music; Mrs. Sarah Isiphine Eberly, Assistant Teacher Instrumental Music; Joseph Corbett, Teacher of Vocal Music; Julius E. Henderson, Assistant Teacher Scientific Department.

     John Jacob Kieffer, among the first emigrants to Milton township, was born Oct. 16, 1759, in the Provisdiction of Zweibricken, Europe.  His great-great-grandfather, De Wald Kieffer, was a native of Paris, and of wealthy and noble ancestry.  He was the fifth child and oldest son of Michael Kieffer, and left Europe with his parents on April 15, 1773.  They first settled in Bedford county, Pa., and lived there for about eight years, then crossed the Allegheny mountains and settled in Somerset county.  Here, on Sept. 2, 1787, he was married to Anna Eva Fritz, by whom he had nine children, viz.:  Michael, Margaret, Elizabeth, Adam, Mary, Jacob, Susanna, Joseph and Eva, who were all born in Somerset county, Pa.  In the spring of 1815, he, with his family, immigrated to Wayne county, Ohio, and settled upon the northeast quarter of section 35 of Milton township, there being but few settlers in advance of him.  He died there Feb. 23, 1828.  His wife died Sept. 29, 1843, aged 75 years.

     John B. Eberly, son of Peter and Sarah Eberly, yet living in the vicinity of Smithville, was born in Cumberland county, Pa., Feb. 5, 1837.  With his father he removed to Wayne county in 1840, and remained with him until the age of 19, when he resolved, come what would, to devote himself to the first ambition of his life- to be a scholar and a teacher.  For three years he attended the Fredericksburg school, under Prof. B. C. Smith.  In 1862 he entered Mt. Union College, remaining there three more years, from which, in June, 1865, he graduated with honor in the classical course.  In August of the same year he organized the Smithville High School, since which over 4,000 students have attended it.
     Mr. Eberly was married Oct. 28, 1869, to Miss Isiphine Moore of Applecreek, Miss Isi E. Eberly being their only child.
     The Smithville High School is a creation of Prof. Eberly, although it may be said to have sprung from the wants of the community; hence there was correspondence in the popular demand of his comprehension of it.  Its very life and its boldest features are original with him, and the powerful and stimulating effect it has had upon the young men and women who have patronized it has largely shaped the educational character of the entire community.
     Professor Eberly is opposed to an education that crams with theories, languages and words, and does not unfold faculties or develop forces.  The ancient languages are to be perused rather as a means than an end; either for the knowledge that is locked up in them, or the discipline which their study affords the mind, or for the entire mastery which the acquisition of a foreign language compels us to obtain of the whole compass of our own.  For these purposes he yields to no man in his esteem for the ancient languages.  His advice to the students is that of Horace to the Pisos:

"Let classic authors be your chief delight,
Read them by day - read them again by night."

He recognizes the central and seminal fact, that the county asks for scholars, not scholastics; practical men, not perambulating abstractions; men whose minds have been strengthened, not overwhelmed by learning.  He has an agile, quick, mechanical mind; loves order because he was born to love it, and out of the harmonious play of his faculties springs the government of the schoolroom.  His mind is intuitive, grasping, productive, re-productive; he sees an idea, comprehends it, then pounces on it like a falcon, when he forever holds it.  He has, morever, the capacity of not simply understanding things, but of making others understand

Page 686 -
them.  He is a thinker and worker.  There is no emotion or gush about him.  His mind moves in a region of realities, facts, figures and objects.  In conversation he is fluent, elastic and sarcastic.  As a public speaker he ascends to the regions of thought, divesting himself of all badinage and the gallantry of declamation.  He is one of the foremost educators of Wayne county.

     Orrville, a creation and product of the railroad, and the inevitable genius which surrounds and pursues such corporations, is fast approaching the proportions of cityhood.  Concerning her enterprise, sagacity, foresight and quick identity with what best promotes her welfare, we need distill no pen-praise or eulogy.  She has two railroads- one more than Wooster - and has petitioners for other ones, and as petitioners always should, she "will ever pray."  Her people are wide-awake, gritty, self reliant, and full of life.  Despoil her of her energy, if you please, and her situation renders her existence and success compulsory.  A junction, crossway and point of distribution of railways, she must thrive.  With communication direct to Cleveland, and her proximity to the coal regions, both east and south, she combines the elements that insure her permanence and stability and impart to her the qualities of a rival.
     Surrounded by excellent farms, carefully cultivated by the most frugal and industrious farmers in Wayne county, she is girt with a zone of wealth, the central figure of which she is to stand.
     Her commercial population is progressive, alert and enterprising.  Her massive and beautiful business blocks will challenge comparison with any town of its age and size in the State.  Her churches are solid and substantial structures, and some of them, in point of design are architectural beauties.  Her hotels are commodious and in their appointments surpass those of older villages.  Her school building is a capacious and costly edifice, and with the additions and improvements recently made, and which are largely due to the action of Hon. William M. Orr, it has become in its appointments and accommodations the equal of any in the county.   In general manufactures she has taken the lead of Wooster, and in the course of twenty-five years, estimating from her past rapid growth, she will rival the county-seat in population and in trade.
     Orrville is situated partly in Greene and partly in Baughman township, the dividing line of which runs through, but east of, its center, and was named in honor of Hon. Smith Orr.  The

Page 687 - 
lands on which the town was located in 1852 belonged to Robert Taggart, C. Brenneman and C. Horst.  Mr. Orr, then living a mile south, got the railroad company to establish a water-tank, and prevailed on Robert Taggart to lay off ten acres into town lots.  He then bought out C. Horst, David Rudy and Peter PerrineJesse Straughan made the first plat of the town, and named it Orrville, in honor of Judge Orr.  The first house built in the village was jointly by William M. Orr and William Gailey, and which was intended for a saw-mill, and to do work for the railroad company.  William Bowman was the mill-wright.  The lots on the Taggart ten acres were principally the first upon which buildings were constructed; they lay north of the railroad, east of Main street, and were all located in Baughman township.  Meantime some houses were being built across the line in Greene township.  Judge Orr purchasing some land south of West Market street from Christian Brenneman, and some north of West Market street from C. Horst and William Vankirk, laid out a number of lots.  Her population at this time borders closely upon 2,000.
     Its incorporation was granted by the Commissioners of the county May 9, 1864, and the first election held was at the office of William M. Gailey, Feb. 22, 1865.  The following are the officers since that date:

     1865. Mayor - William M. Gailey; Recorder - D. G. Horst; Trustees - A. S. Moncrief, J. W. Steele, J. F. Seas John McGill, James Evans, Sr.

     1866. May or - William M. Gailey; Recorder - D. G. Horst; Trustees - John McGill, James Buttermore, D. W. Steele, A. S. Moncrief, J. F. Seas; Treasurer - T. D. McFarland.

     1867. Mayor - William M. Orr; Recorder - W. S. Evans; Trustees - D. G. Horst, William M. Gailey, John McGill, S. D. Tanner, James Buttermore; Treasurer - T. D. McFarland.

     1868.  Mayor - A. S. Moncreif; Recorder - W. S. Evans; Trustees - James Buttermore, J. B. Taylor, Abe Gift; Treasurer - T. D. McFarland.

     1869.  Mayor - A. S. Moncreif; Recorder - W. S. Evans; Treasurer - T. D. McFarland; Trustees - D. G. Horst, D. L. Trout, J. F. Seas, Kirk Johnson, L. S. Piper.
     1870.  Mayor - A. C. Miller; Recorder - W. S. Evans; Treasurer - T. D. McFarland; Councilmen - D. G. Horst, R. G. McElhenie, D. L. Moncrief, M. C. Rouch, Benjamin Steele, Hiram Chaffin.
     1871.  Councilmen - C. L. Hoils, David Frick, John Snavely.
     1872.  Mayor - M. C. Rouch; Clerk - John A. Wolbach; Treasurer - S. T. Gailey; Councilmen - Isaac Schriber, W. M. Coup, I. C. Grabill.
     1873.  Councilmen - A. C. Miller, Jacob Brenneman, James Snavely.
     1874  Mayor - William M. Gailey; Clerk - John A. Wolbach; Treasurer - S. T. Gailey; Councilmen - Isaac Schriber, W. M. Coup, J. F. Seas.

Page 688 -

     1875. Councilmen - H. H. Strauss, Daniel Grady, Joseph Snavely, D. G. Moncreif.

     1876. Mayor - J. F. Seas; Clerk - A. J. Heller; Treasurer - John A. Wolbach; Councilmen - Solon Boydston, J. B. Heffelman, J. Snavely.

     1877. Councilmen - Joseph Snavely, Isaac Schriber, F. Dysle, D. L. Moncrief.

     Judge Smith Orr was born in Tallord, near Strahan, in County Tyrone, Ireland, on the 23d of November, 1797, and was the youngest child of Samuel and Sarah Orr.  He had five brothers and two sisters, all of whom are dead.  His mother died on the day of his birth, and his father landed, with the other members of his family at New Castle, Delaware, in the month of August, 1801.  After a residence of a few years in the East, they removed to Applecreek, East Union township, Wayne county, in the spring of 1812.
     There Mr. Orr continued to live until the death of his father, in 1818.  He then had but the choice of meeting the world for himself without means, assistance or friends.  From that time until about the age of twenty-five he labored at grubbing and railsplitting for others, when, having accumulated a small sum, he married Maria, youngest daughter of David Foreman, a soldier of the Revolution, who settled in Wayne county at a very early period, and who died there.
     After their marriage they purchased and settled on a half-quarter of land in the woods on Apple creek, where they lived about three years, and then bought and removed to within one-half mile south of Orrville, and there resided over four years, and then purchased and removed to the tract of land known as the "Home Farm," one mile south of Orrville, and owned by him at his death.  There he continued his residence until 1850, when the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne and Chicago railroad being located, he purchased land in and around where the village of Orrville is situated, and whither he immediately removed and continued to reside until his death, which occurred Apr. 23, 1865.
     His wife, Maria Orr, was born in Ligonier Valley, Pa., Mar. 10, 1799, and when a small girl immigrated with her father, David Foreman, grandfather of Enos Foreman, former editor of the Wooster Republican, to the neighborhood of Economy, on the Ohio river, from which place she came with her father to what is now known as Baughman township.  Her mother having died a very short time before their immigration to the country, she assumed entire household management of her father's house in the thirteenth

Page 689 -
year of her age.  On the 1st of February, 1821, she became the wife of the subject of this memoir, residing with her husband from that time in East Union, Baughman, and from the spring of 1851 until her death in the village of Orrville, Greene township.  During her married life, in addition to her own son, Hon. William M. Orr, she became the foster-mother of ten orphan children, four boys and six girls.  She was plain in her manners, kind and affable, and but little disposed to visit or leave home; her greatest enjoyment consisting in receiving and entertaining friends and neighbors at her own house, where she was almost constantly to be found.  It may be said of her, as Logan said of himself, "Who ever entered her cabin hungry and she gave him not meat?"
     In the fifteenth year of her age, she embraced religion and united with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which she remained a member until about one year after her marriage, when she united with the Presbyterian church, at Applecreek, of which her husband was a member.  From that congregation they were transferred by certificate to the Presbyterian church at Dalton.  She died as she had lived, a believer in revealed religion, expressing a firm and unfaltering hope and confidence in Jesus, her Savior.
     Our pen has neither the cunning nor the ability to describe or analyze the parts which entered into the mental and physical composition of Judge Orr.  Entering the county, then a dense wilderness, when he was but fifteen years of age, he became, like the oaks surrounding him, a very child of the woods.
     The spirit of poesy, which is said to hover over the forests, awoke no inspirations in his breast.  If, as Byron says,

"There is society, where none intrudes,"

Then he could love ''nature more," if ''not man the less."  The approach of the bear, the howl of the wolf, the alarm signal of the rattlesnake, the yell of the wild Indian, constituted the sources of his early fears.  Nature, however, may have tried to delight and instruct him, and if the barn was not built for the swallow and the hedge-row not set for the thrush, the wild singers of the woods serenaded him with music.  He could watch the lithe deer bounding through the thickets, catch design and beauty in the woodland blossoms, and take lessons in philosophy, as nature, blending storm and sunshine, drew God's promise on the cloud.
     We can imagine that the life of Judge Orr, at that time, was characterized by more fact than fancy, and that, instead of having

Page 690 -
margins of poetry, it was filled out to the rim in solid and serious prose.  There were no school laws in Ohio then, and schoolhouses and school-teachers but faintly glimmered in dream-land.  He may have learned the alphabet in the old family Bible, and studied his arithmetic leaning over his knees at the cabin-fire.  Under the circumstances which did exist he acquired an education, not such as is attainable at the college or university; but his heart, feelings, soul, mind, brain, susceptibilities, all were disciplined in the school of self-denial and experience.  It drilled and fitted him for a useful life, made him a benefit and blessing to his fellow-men, who turned to him in adversity for help, and who also sought his counsel and advice when "the winds down the river were fair."
     Such a man as Judge Orr could not well have grown up in any country but his own.  He was made what he was under divine guidance, solely by his own irresistible will and the inexorable circumstances surrounding a pioneer.  He was an original, modeled himself after no pattern, imitated no man's manners, but with strong practical common sense convictions of what a high-minded Christian gentleman should be and do, he struggled perseveringly with fearless, unquailing, mighty will and arm and a warm, heroic heart and faith to be it and to do it.  With an ear ever inclined to hear a tale of sickness, suffering or misfortune, and a hand and head ever ready with aid and counsel in need, his purpose was to do everything well that he undertook, however humble the task.
     He was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace at an early day, and repeatedly re-elected, through all party malignities and asperities, holding the position for over a quarter of a century.  He was elected in the year 1846 by the General Assembly of Ohio as one of the Associate Judges of the Common Pleas Court, which place he honorably and with signal ability filled until the adoption of the new Constitution in 1853, which abolished the office.  Besides many other public positions which he occupied with credit, it may be mentioned that he was many times chosen by his political party - the Clay Whigs - as a candidate for election to responsible public positions, when the party in his locality was in the minority.
     He was a member of the Union Convention which met in Baltimore in 1864 and renominated Mr. Lincoln for the Presidency, casting his first vote for him, and upon the vote for Vice-President in the convention Judge Orr and the Hon. Harrison G. Blake, by their votes, decided the vote of the Ohio delegation in favor of

Page 691 -
Andrew Johnson as the candidate, and the vote of Ohio nominated Governor Johnson over Governor Hicks, now deceased.
     He was Land Surveyor for forty years, and throughout the entire eastern part of the county his services in this respect were of incalculable value to the citizens.  During the war of the rebellion he held no middle ground, but was decided, outspoken and pronounced in his sympathy and support of the Government.  When Cincinnati was threatened by the Confederate forces he placed himself at the head of a company (being then sixty-six years of age) of Squirrel Hunters, and succeeded in reaching the city, an achievement of which a majority of the companies could not boast.
     His patriotism was intense, ardent and glowing.  Convince Judge Orr that he was right, and legions of armed men could not prevent an effort to perform it.  Stir up the lion in the old man's breast, and the hot blood which he imported from the rarest island of the seas rose to its ebb, and if it was to smite a wrong he would dash forward, regardless of opposition.  What he undertook to do he did with all his might.
     His motto was -

"Act—act in the living present;
Heart within and God o'erhead!"

     Yesterday is past, to-day we will be wiser, and if to-morrow comes, better.  He had an indomitable perseverance and will and believed, with Richelieu, that -

"In youth's bright Lexicon there's no such word as fail."

     He was possessed of a wide benevolence, a clear and comprehensive understanding, and an unflinching persistency and tenacity of aim.  He was a thoughtful and discriminating student, an excellent historian, and with the political literature and transactions of the country, enjoyed the utmost familiarity.  He was a fluent and convincing speaker, indulging in fact, detail and narration, seldom ornamental and never speculative.
     He was a Presbyterian of the old school and faith, and belonged to the class of which Rev. T. A. McCurdy speaks in his history of the Wooster (Pres.) church, who "had in them the ring of the true metal, and blue was their color."  Aside from his public duties and labors Judge Orr, by his own unaided individual energy and skill, out of nothing acquired, built up and managed an estate sufficiently large to gratify any ordinary and reasonable ambition.

Page 692 -
But that which he acquired in his life, above all things to be admired and emulated, was the good name he left among men.  To merit this in a sincere, earnest and Christian-like way was, whilst he lived upon earth, his chiefest ambition.
     He died in the full faith of the resurrection and the eternal morning after the night of the grave, "sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust: in Him whose death was not only the world's example, but is sacrifice and life.  Of his own issue surviving him are one son and three grandchildren.




     I. O. O. F. - Orville Lodge, No. 490, was instituted July 26, 1871.  Charter members:  H. P. Hugus, A. W. Bombarger, A. E. Clark, Isaac H. Krieble, Harrison Bowman, John Dunn, J. C. St. John.  Present officers:  R. Chaffin, N. G.; A. Arich, V. G.; Jacob Holzer, R. S.; A. Gift, P. S.; John Miller, Treasurer; J. H. Krieble, P. G.

     Orr Lodge Knights of Honor was instituted July 9, 1875.  Officers: Rev. J. C. Kauffman, Dictator; William M. Orr, Past Dictator; S. N. Coe, Vice Dictator; S. D. D. Tanner, Assistant Dictator; J. S. Evans, Guide; A.  H. Heller, Reporter, J. G. Hartman, Financial Reporter; John Coffey, Treasurer; Rev. J. M. Jenkins, Chaplain;  Guardian, George Ream; Sentinel, Solon Boydston.

     D. L. Moncreif, M. D. - The grandfather of the subject of this sketch was born in Scotland, his father in Carlisle, Pa., from where he removed to near Cannonsburg, Washington county.  Here the Doctor was born, Sept. 23, 1823, and lived on the farm until fifteen years of age.  He attended Jefferson College, and at twenty-two began the study of medicine with Dr. Israel Moore, of Cannonsburg, with whom he remained three years a student, and then removed to Western, Ohio.  In 1853 he concluded his medical course at Cincinnati.  From Mercer county, Ohio, he came to Orrville in March, 1857, at once entering upon a successful practice of his profession, residing there until the present time.  He was thrice married, the last time on March 20, 1876, to Miss Marian Morton, an English lady, who accompanied Dr. A. C. Miller on his return from England.  He is a member of the Wayne County Medical Society, and was made Postmaster of Orrville in 1860 by Abraham Lincoln, serving eight years.  He is a member of the United Presbyterian church at Dalton.   
     Dr. Moncrief is a scholar in his profession, and the best typ0e of a refined and cultivated gentleman.  Truthfulness, energy, tenacity and firmness in conviction of right are special traits of his character.  A man of enlightened mind, he appreciates the value of education, and as a consequence encourages and aids its general promotion.  He is ever identified with the best interests of his town.  He has carved out his own destiny; acquired competence and wealth, and by his worth, stability and courtesy, has won the deserved confidence and respect of all good men.

     Hon. William M. Orr. - William M. Orr, only child of Judge Smith Orr, deceased, was born in Baughman township, Jan. 7, 1826.  He was raised on the farm, and with his father remained until he was sixteen years of age, when he commenced teaching school.  He attended the Dalton and Wadsworth Academies, and in the year 1846 entered the junior class at Washington and Jefferson College, from which he graduated in 1847.
     In this class were John LeMoine, now member of the Congress from Chicago; W. S. Moore late member of Congress from Washington, Pa.; James G. Blaine, member of Congress for many years, late Speaker of the House of Representatives, and present United States Senator from the State of Maine, and other men of mark.
     At the annual contest of 1846, between the literary societies of College, he took the highest honor in debate and was valedictorian of the class of 1847.
     He commenced reading law with Hon. T. M. T. McKennon of Washington, Pa., once Secretary of the Interior of the United States, concluding his elementary studies with Hon. R. P. Spaulding, of Cleveland, Ohio.
     He was admitted to practice by Judge Peter Hitchcock, and opened an office in Wooster in 1849, where he remained until 1865, when he removed to Orrville, his present residence.
     He was married on the 4th of July, 1849, to Charlotte McFarland, of Baughman township, a niece of Major McFarland, of Baughman township, a niece of Major McFarland, who distinguished himself at Lundy's Lane.  Mr. Orr has had four children, Smith, John, William and Maria.  William Orr, his third son, died August 3, 1877.  His oldest son is practicing medicine in Lasalle county, Ill.


     A Methodist Society was organized in the district in which Orrville was embraced as early as 1853, by Rev. Joseph Hayes, and services were held in a school-room in the western part of the village.  Among its first members were, David Huston, leader, Mrs. Joanna Hayes, Daniel Hoover and wife, Mrs. William Vankirk, Mrs. Joseph Vankirk, Father Wilford, a local preacher, Mary Walters, and Mr. and Mrs. William Skelton. They completed their church edifice in 1868-69.  Rev. Alfred Wheeler dedicated it and preached the sermon.  The succession of pastors since 1869 has been as follows: Rev Chilton Craven, N. J. Close, A, E. Thomas, Philip Kelser, J. L. Sanford, J. T. McCartney, W. Reese and J. F. Brant, present pastor.

     English Lutheran Mission Church was organized Jan. 6, 1877, with ten members, and was incorporated Jan. 31, 1876, with the following trustees: Jesse Good, A. W. Bombarger, Otho Miller, G. G. Wear and A. McGriffin.  March 28 A. C. Miller, M. D., of Cleveland, and J. H. Stoll, M. D., and wife, in April, deeded grounds to the Trustees, thus securing to the church the entire block lying on the south-east corner of Vine and Water streets, for a consideration of $1,900.  July 18, 1876, on these premises the society began the erection of a church.  The corner-stone was laid September 3, Rev. H. L. Wiles, D. D.,

[pg. 695]
preaching the sermon.  By Oct. 13, 1877, the house was ready for occupancy.  The church membership now numbers twenty, and with a flourishing Sabbath school recently organized the work in the new church begins under favorable auspices.  Rev. J. C. Kauffman is present pastor.

     Presbyterian church  - Prior to the organization of the Presbyterian church at Orrville services were held occasionally.  Rev. Archibald Hanna preached the first sermon in the interest of Presbyterianism in 1 852, in an old school-house, now the home of Mr. H. M. Wilson and family.  No further record of any services until July 9, 1854, by Rev. John E. Carson, held in the Union church.  Here they henceforth worshiped until the basemement of their own house was fit for occupation.  Services were held by the following named persons; Rev. Carson, Rev. J. W. Hanna, son of Archibald Hanna, Rev. Marshall, Rev. Barr, Rev. Semple.  During the close of Rev. Semple's ministration in this place, the church was organized July 25, 1865.  The committee appointed by the Presbytery of Wooster for the work consisted of Rev. Philo M. Semple, John E. Carson, Andrew Virtue, ministers ; Elders James McClure and Joseph Potter. The original membership consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Gailey, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Reaser, Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Johnston, James A. Taggart, Sarah J. Taggart, Margaret F. Crites, Rebecca Wilson, Lydia Wilson, Mary L. Wilson, Mary J. Ewing, Delilah McFarland, Sarah A. Orr, Rebecca M. Storrs, Catharine Schriber, Sarah J. Taggart.
Soon after the organization of the church, Mr. Semple held a communion here, the first ever held in Orrville.  His labor ceased Sept. 16, 1866. October 21 witnessed the advent of Rev. M. L. Anderson, who continued as stated supply of the church, in connection with Holmesville, to Mar. 21, 1869.  Rev. Dunlap began his services June 6, 1869, but his ministry was short.  He died Oct. 3, 1870.  The church was dedicated Feb. 19, 1871, when a sermon was delivered by Dr. Lord, of the University of Wooster.  Rev. A. Dilworth began his services Aug. 27, 1871, and was installed November 10, thus securing the title of first regular pastor of this church.  Rev. J. M. Jenkins preached his first sermon Apr. 26, 1874, and was installed, September 24, by a committee of Presbytery, consisting of Rev. A. S. Mulholland and Dr. Taylor, of Wooster. D. G. Horst, H. H. Strauss and J. H. Stoll, M. D., were elected Elders at a meeting held May 19, 1876.  A summary
of the work of the church from its organization shows that ninety have united with it from other churches.  Total number ever connected with it, 257; present membership, 170.

     David G. Horst  was born in Lancaster county, Pa., June 26, 1831, and came to Wayne county, Ohio, with his father, with whom he remained until 1860, when he settled in Orrville, and engaged in dry goods and general merchandising business, in which he continued for eight years, when he went into the banking business.  He was married Feb. 16, 1853, to Elizabeth Martin, of Baughman township.  He is a member of the Presbyterian church; is a man of sound, solid sense, a benevolent liberal, upright, and a consistent Christian gentleman.

     J. H. Stoll, M. D., was born in Chippewa township, May 2, 1849.  He remained with his father, Christian Stoll, who was a successful and wealthy farmer, until he was sixteen, when he attended the Smithville Academy, and thence went to Savannah, Ashland county, where he remained two years.  At the age of twenty he began reading medicine with L. Firestone, M. D., LL. D., of Wooster.  After successive courses at the best medical colleges of the United States, he graduated in 1871, and immediately entered upon practice at Marshallville, where he remained eighteen months, when he went to London, England, and received lectures at Kings College, but on account of sickness was compelled to return home, when he located in Orrville.  He was married June 26, 1871, to Belle A. Jeffreys, of Savannah.  He is surgeon of the C. Mt. & C. R. R. and the Ninth Ohio National Guards.

     Adam Brenneman, a native of Pennsylvania, immigrated to Ohio in 1831, located in Sugarcreek township, two miles south of Orrville, where he died Feb. 10, 1869.  His son, Jacob Brenneman, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., Feb. 28, 1822, removed to Wayne county with his father, where he remained until he was twenty-six years of age.  He then began selling goods one mile south-east of the present site of Orrville, where in 1859 he removed and continued his mercantile business, with D. G. Horst as partner.  In 1867 he relinquished commercial pursuits and went into the banking business.  In 1872 he completed the splendid brick building on Market street, 100x50 feet, three stories high, and at a cost of $12,000.  It fronts on the street, with five ample and capacious rooms, an ornament to the town and an honor to the genius and enterprise of Mr. Brenneman, than whom there are no better citizens in the county.

     The Graded Schools of Orrville, organized in 1872, are among the very best conducted in the county, having a fine school building, and using all the improved methods of instruction, and are a highly creditable institution to the growing little railroad city.  The present instructors are:  Superintendent and Principal of the High School, J. W. Dougherty; Teachers:  Grammar School, Sarah McWilliams; intermediate, Martha J. Gailey and Ida Clark;  A Primary, Rettie Weirich; B. Primary, Louis Steel.

     The Orrville Crescent - This newspaper was established in January, 1870, by John A. Wolbach.  The paper is a five-column quarto, 26x40. The office has three job presses, two of which are

[pg. 697]
steam presses, and employs four hands.  The Crescent is well managed, has a good advertising patronage, and is settled on a solid foundation.  John A. Wolbach, the editor and publisher, was born in Greene township, Apr. 6, 1849, and learned the printing business in the office of the Wooster Republican.  In 1867 he worked on the Medina Republican and after a short experience there went on the Akron Beacon where he remained two years, until he established the Crescent.  He was married Sept. 11, 1869, to Miss Sarah J. Homer, of Medina county.

     Evening at Home and Words of Cheer are the titles of two worthy journals published in Orrville by H. A. Mumaw since the spring of 1875.  They are very readable family papers, conducted with good literary ability.  and are publications of hte highest moral character.

     Daniel Schriber, a native of Pennsylvania, and for seventeen years a citizen of Wayne county, died Feb. 2, 1852.  His son, Henry, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 4, 1831, and with his father's family, in 1833, removed to Wayne county, his father son purchasing a tract of land in Greene township.  Henry worked on the farm till he was nineteen years old, when he learned a trade, to which he applied himself for seven years, when he went to school at Fredericksburg and prepared himself for teaching, which vocation for a number of years he pursued.  In 1859 he embarked in mercantile business in Orrville, where he has since continued.  He has been twice married; first, to Elizabeth Gailey, who died Sept. 27, 1872; second, to Sophronia Orr, Jan. 15, 1875.  He is the present Postmaster of the town, and has been for a number of years; was elected Justice of the Peace of Greene township in 1872, and re-elected in 1875.  He is a member of the Presbyterian church.  Isaac Schriber, son of Daniel, was born in Greene township, June 29, 1834.  He was married to Catharine Zollars, and is an active, enterprising man.  He was appointed Commissioner of Wayne county, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of John McGill, and was elected and re-elected thereafter to the same office.  Under his administration occurred the completion of the county buildings, and the improvements and additions made to the County Infirmary.  He has held various minor offices.






This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights