A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Wayne County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of Wayne County, Ohio
from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time
Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 


Pg. 772

(Contributed by Sharon Wick)

     CANAAN TOWNSHIP was organized May 5, 1819, and was named by Dr. Isaac Barnes.  Its population in 1870 was 1,997.  The following is the list of officers of the township as appears upon the official record:

     Justices of the Peace:  Jason Jones, April 23, 1831; John Miles, November 17, 1834; Jason Jones, April 18, 1835; John Blocher, April 28, 1837; John Paul, September 6, 1837; John Blocher, April 16, 1840; George N. Cady, August 31, 1840; John Blocher, April 13, 1843; Ed. Burns, September 28, 1843; John Blocher, April 21, 1846; George Cady, September 14, 1846; John Blocher April 12, 1849; Wm. Barton, October 20, 1849; Wm. Stratton, April 11, 1850; Wm. Shoemaker, April 21, 1852; John Hough, October 27, 1853; John Hough, October 25, 1856; Ahi Zuver, October 18, 1858, John Hough, October 20, 1859; Ahi Zuver, October 22, 1861; John Hough, October 25, 1862; Dan Stratton, April 15, 1864; Ahi Zuver, October 15, 1864; J. B. Haloway, April 8, 1867; J. B. Halloway, April 12, 1870; Jos. McGlennen, April 14, 1873; Demas Summers, October 22, 1873; Jos. McGlenen, April 13, 1876.

1866. Trustees - J. R. Naftzger, A. Parmenter, F. N. Haskins; Clerk - F. Glime; Treasurer - Jonas Heckert;  Assessor - G. W. Byers.
1867. Trustees - F. N. Haskins, C. R. Kenney, A. Parmenter; Clerk - F. Glime; Treasurer - Jonas Heckert; Assessor - J. A. Penoyer.
1868. Trustees - F. N. Haskins, C. R. Kenney, James Norton; Clerk - F. Glime; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - John Wells.
1869. Trustees - F. N. Haskins, James Norton, Wiram Hoisington; Clerk - C. Ewing; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - J. A. Penoyer.
1870. Trustees - F. N. Haskins, James Norton, Wiram Hoisington; Clerk - C. Ewing; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - J. A. Penoyer.
1871. Trustees - William Stebbins, Wiram Hoisington, Jacob Gearhart; Clerk - C. Ewing; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - F. N. Haskins.
1872. Trustees - William Stebbins, Jacob Gearhart, C. R. Kenney; Clerk - Samuel Merryman; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - Elmer St. John.
1873 Trustees - S. F. Kearns, George Matthias, Daniel Stratton; Clerk - J. McIntire; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - Philip Whonsettler.
1874. Trustees - George Mathias, Andrew Ramich, S. Kearns; Clerk - John Snell; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - James Norton.
1875. Trustees - George Mathias, Andrew Romich, S. F. Kearns; Clerk - John Snell; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - Elmer St. John.
1876. Trustees - S. F. Kearns, Thomas Armstrong, F. A. Johnson; Clerk - John Snell; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - Elmer St. John.

[Page 773]

1877.  Trustees - Thomas Armstrong, John M. Glennen, William Burns; Clerk - James McGarvey; Treasurer - Eli Snell; Assessor - Demas Sommers.

     Reminiscenses of Isaac Notestine. - By whom or when the first entries of land were made in this township is now known; but perhaps the first were in 1808.  The first settlement was made and a cbin built in 1812 by William Ewing, Sr., on the farm now owned by his son Simon.  About the same ime James rose,  a Scotchman, and Thomas Armstrong settled in the township..  Joseph Stratton settled in 1817 on the farm owned by his son Daniel, and about this period the Weed brothers, Joshua and William, and Thomas Thrapp came in; then Daniel Blocher and Swartz and Nathan Hall.   Quite a number of families were now located.
     In the fall of 1819 the first election was held in an ashery, that stood nearly a mile south of the present village of Windsor.  The electors, as given from the memory of George Sommers, a citizen, but not a voter then, were William Ewing, Sr., William Ewing, Jr., Thomas Armstrong, Joseph and Daniel Stratton, Eleizer Perago, Nathan Hal, David Plumer, Dr. Barnes, Chapman, Daniel Blocher, Swartz, John Templeton, James Rose, Jones, B. F. Miller, James Buchanan, Joshua and William Reed, Thomas Thrapp and one Adams, all of whom are dead.  The officers elected were: Justices - Dr. Barnes and Joseph Stratton; Trustees - Dr. Barnes, Joseph Stratton, Thomas Thrapp; Clerk - Nathan Hall, who held the office afterwards some twelve years; other officers not remembered.
     Immigration now became more rapid, so that in ten years from the organization of the township at least one-half of the quarter sections that could be farmed had on them one or more cabins.  In the year of the organization Gerge Sommers settled in the township, the only resident of that time still living who was not a minor.  About the same time John McIlvaine and James Smith moved in, settling near each other, a mile west of Jackson.  Soon after Daniel Oller, Henry Kopp, Simon Kenney, James and William Haskins and Enoch Gilbert, and a number of others from the New England States and New York, came in.  
     Charles, son of James Rose, was the first white child born in the township.  Simon, son of William Ewing, Sr., was the second, and still lives on the homestead, the oldest native Canaanite.  Susan, daughter of William Ewing, Sr., now the wife of Michael Totten, of Wooster, is supposed to have been the first person married in the township to her first husband, Ramsey, who was killed at a mill-raising, near Wooster.  The first school-house was on James Rose's land, in which James Buchanan, a Scotchman, taught the first school.
     Almost every family, men and women, wore "home-spun" at home and abroad.  The only difference between the dress to go to "meeting'" and that of the field or the clearing was in being fresh washed for the former.  The diet, of the field or the clearing was in being fresh washed for the former.  The diet, too, was of the plainest kind, quite limited in variety, and frequently also in quantity.  Corn, in its various forms, whole or ground, with buckwheat, potatoes, beans, pork, venison, and other wild meats, were the chief articles of food.  Game abounded, and many families depended upon getting their meat from the forest.  Though the pioneers could get but little for the wheat they sold, the articles they bought cost much more than at present.  As late as 1825 salt sold for eleven dollars per barrel, and before this cost still more.  William Ewing used to pack it from Canton on horseback, traveling all the way through the woods.
     If the times of settlements were recorded by decades from the first coming of William Ewing in 1812, the first, up to 1822, would find from twenty-five to thirty families in the township; and this may be regarded as the true pioneer decade; whilst the next, until 1843, would be of immigration, which during this time poured in, in streams, so that by 1832, of lands suitable for occupation not more than

[Page 774]
twenty-five quarters were unoccupied.  During this second decade came many of the most substantial and useful citizens, among them mechanics and men of capital.  Some of those who came during this period, as now remembered, were:  John and Justin Miles, Smith and David Hoisington, Simon Kenney and the Shanklins, Jonas Notestine, Henry Shuffling, John D. Heckert, David Wiles, John, Henry and Daniel Frank, Jason and Sylvanus Jones, Zenas Z. Crane, Joseph, Henry and Jacob Zarer, the Wells, and many others equally prominent, whose names do not now come to mind.  At the close of the second decade, as near as can be remembered, the last entry of land was made in the township.  Among these settlers last mentioned was John Kearns, a man of sterling worth, industrious, skillful, and of considerable ability for business.  He settled a mile north of the Center, on the farm now owned by Henry Smith.  He was an ardent supporter of the church in general, and of his own, the Methodist Episcopal, in particular.  At his death, in 1839, he was one of the wealthiest men in the township.
     Wooster was the nearest point of trade, but it was a poor place to sell produce of any kind.  Wheat and flour were often hauled to Cleveland, and hogs were driven there as the nearest market.
     There are five villages in the township: Burbank, Golden Corners, Windsor (or Canaan Center), Jackson and Pike.

     George Sommers was born November 23, 1795, in Rockingham county, Virginia, and moved with his parents to Pennsylvania when six years old.  In 1816 he came to Canaan, entered land and made some improvements and settled there permanently in December, 1819, on the south-west quarter of section 32.  By industry and economy he soon got a comfortable home for himself and family, and at present is the oldest living of the pioneers.  He had the following children:  Demas, Joseph, Abraham, Levi, Philip, Jonas, Rebecca and Mary.  He read and spoke the German and English languages, always a good citizen, an active member in building up and maintaining the church, and served for several years as township Trustee.

     John Hough was born February 26, 1805, in Pennsylvania, and immigrated to Wayne township in 1822.  In 1839 he removed to Canaan township.  April 28, 1828, he was married to Magdalena Feightner, by whom he had six children.  For a number of years he taught school, teaching both English and German.  He served as Justice of the Peace for thirteen years.  Esteemed by all who knew him, he died April 24, 1877.

     John D. Heckert, born in Virginia, of German origin, settled in the western part of Canaan township about the year 1828 with his wife and family.  He died in 1844, having, by untiring labor and prudent management, acquired a competency and won the

[Page 775]
reputation of being a public-spirited, enterprising, benevolent and honorable man.

     Joseph Stratton was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, May 16, 1788, and in December, 1817, immigrated to Canaan township with his wife and five children, settling on the southwest quarter if section 17.  Few men were ever more implicitly trusted and esteemed by his neighbors than "Uncle Joseph," as he was familiarly called.  At the first election in 1819, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and twice afterwards elected to the same office, holding, also, other offices.  He was an active friend of schools, and a zealous member of the M. E. Church.  His death took place December 20, 1836.  He was the father of eleven children, five of whom are living, Daniel residing on the old homestead, and two others near by.

     Simon Kenney was born in East Hartford, Connecticut, September 29, 1790, but lived in New York state when he removed to Ohio, in the fall of 1822, first settling on the Killbuck, ten miles north-west of Coshocton, where he had entered land.  After remaining there a year he removed to Wayne county, settling on the place where he and his son Champion now live, where he entered 160 acres and purchased more, until at one time he possessed 420 acres.  He was twice married, first to Polly Daniels, who died in seven years, leaving two children, who also died; second, to Sarah Shanklin, a native of Oswego county, New York, by which marriage he had three sons and two daughters, as follows:  Sarah, Thomas, John, Champion and UrillaSimon Kenney was a soldier in the war of 1812, and is a Government pensioner for that service.

     Canaan Academy - This was one of the first institutions of learning in Wayne county, located in Windsor.  The building, a two-story frame, 36x48, was erected in 1842 gy a stock company.  The Academy was controlled by a Board of Directors, the first Board consisting of John Paul, M. D., Jonas Notestine, Justin Mills, Harvey Rice and Alfred Hotchkiss.  The school was opened December 3, 1843, with forty-seven pupils, under the instruction of Prof. C. C. Bomberger, A. B., who taught three years.  Revs. Barr and Barker had charge during the summer of 1847; succeeded in the winters of 1847 and 1848 by Prof. Isaac Notestine, who, with short intervals, remained in charge until 1863.  After that year the school was taught by a number of Professors until 1875, when it was, perhaps, permanently closed, Professor J. W. Cummings then having charge.  While Professor Notestine was teaching in the winter of 1851, the house was burned down, and the present brick building erected.  It is conceded that the Canaan Academy has been an important factor in the educational work of this and adjoining counties.

[Page 776]


     The first church organized in Canaan township was by the Presbyterians, in Jackson, May 25, 1827, with sixteen members, who were Nathan Hall and Parmelia, his wife, Betsey Jones, William and Mary Maloney, Mary Gibbon, Keziah Smith, Trophina White, Elizabeth Hosington, Benjamin Hays, David Hosington, Sylvanus Jones, Thoams and Eleanor Hays and Samuel Slemmons.  Nathan Hall and Thomas Hays were chosen Ruling Elders.  In 1838 the congregation called its first and last regular pastor, the late Thomas H. Barr, who served it nearly forty years.  The Elders in this church, since the first two already named, have been Samuel Coulter, Samuel Slemmons, Zenas Z. Crane, Andrew Elliott, Edmund Barnes, Thomas Elliott, John Cunningham, John Snell, Isaac Notestine, Cyrus Ewing and John Stine.  The second house of worship was built in 1837, and the present one in 1854.  Present membership, 155.
     Bend Church -  A house of worship bearing this name was erected in 1832-32, though Dr. Barnes, a minister of that denomination, had preached there as early as 1815.  The earliest attendants upon this church were the Weeds, Plumers, Strattons, and others;  and after them the Karnes, Thrapps, Bowmans, Zuvers, Hills.  The church became extinct some twenty years ago, yet the "Bend Methodists." left their impression upon the community.
     The Canaan or Kopp's meeting house was built in 1830, by the German Reformed and Lutheran denominations, the first German Reformed minister being Charles Zwisler, and the first Lutherans being Rev. A. Kuhn, H. H. Hoffman, Schuh and Weygandt.  In 1870 these congregations dissolved.  Among the early members of these churches were the Sommers, Kopps, Lehrs, Reiters, Bowersocks, Kochenhours, Ollers, Whonsettlers, Hewitts and Hendricks.
     The Bethel Church
was built by the English Lutherans in 1844, the congregations being organized by Rev. S. Ritz, in 1841.  Among its members were the Notestines, Heckerts, Barnards, Ridenhours, Rickets, Hotchkiss, Snavelys.  It was finally sold to the Lutheran congregation, formerly worshipping with the Reformed in the Kopp house.  The present church was built in 1870.
     The Reformed Church, after their separation from the Lutherans, in 1870, erected a house in 1872, their ministers since then being Rev. E. G. Miller, J. F. Sponsler and Joseph Schaltz.
     The Methodist Episcopal Church
erected a church edifice in Windsor in 1850 - 51, which they continued to occupy until 1874, when they constructed the present one.  Among its members are the Strattons, Notestine, Wiles, Van Doorens, Haskins, Stephensons, Haws, and others.
     The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canaan was built in 1870, and has a membership of 71.  Present pastor is Rev. G. Webser; Elders, J. Snell, Michael Miller.

     Rev. Thomas Barr, native of Derry, Westmoreland county, Pa., was born April 2, 1775.  When about three years old his father, Colonel Alexander Barr, was called to serve in the Revolutionary war, and took his family to his wife's father's, near Fort Loudon, Franklin county, Pa.  Here Mr. Barr was sent to school.  At the close of the war Colonel Barr returned with his family again to

[Page 777]
Westmoreland county, Pa., but in 1785 going on an expedition down the Ohio, with others, to negotiate, if possible, with some hostile Indians, he was lost.  The only intelligence ever received of him came from the Indians, who afterward sold what was judged to be his scalp.  It was Colonel Barr's request, expressed before his departure, that should be never return, his oldest son, Thomas, might be sent to college to receive a classical education.  Although he left means sufficient to accomplish this purpose, it was defeated by the fears of a considerate guardian as to the demoralizing influences of colleges in those days.  The substitute fixed upon for a collegiate education was an apprenticeship of five and one-half years to learn the carpenter and joiner trade.
     He was married in the spring of 1797 to Susannah Welch, and the following spring removed to Youngstown on the Reserve, and soon thereafter, through the pious influences of a Christian wife, he made a profession of religion.  Having determined to enter the ministry, he removed to Greensburg, Beaver county, Pa., where was a small Academy, under the superintendence of Rev. T. E. Hughes, designed especially for the benefit of those having the ministry in view.  After spending three years in preparatory study, he was licensed to preach by the Hartford Presbytery in Brookfield, Trumbull county, September, 1809.  He received a call and settled in Euclid, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, where he removed in June, 1810.  Half of his time was given to his work, and the balance was devoted to missionary labor, under the patronage of the Connecticut Missionary Society.  On October 9, 1812, his wife died, leaving an infant son seven days old.
     In 1816 he was married again to A. E. Baldwin, who survived him, and died in Fairfield, Iowa, October 9, 1854.  Being now released from his charge in Euclid, Mr. Barr removed, in February, 1820, to Wooster, taking charge of the churches of Wooster and Applecreek, over which he was installed by a Presbytery of Richland, May 24, 1820, and where he remained for nine years, when the pastoral relation was dissolved upon his own suggestion.  March 6, 1832, he was dismissed by the Prebytery of Richland, to that of Cincinnati, and moved to Butler county with his family that spring.  Here he remained but a little over a year, when he removed to Rushville, Indiana, where he labored for about eighteen months, when he died, August 28, 1835.

     Rev. Thomas H. Barr, D. D.,  son of Rev. Thomas Barr, was

[Page 778]
born in Beaver county, Pa., November, 19, 1807, and twelve years thereafter his father and family settled near Wooster.  At the age of fourteen he was placed at work in Stibbs' woollen factory, and afterwards taught school for several terms.  In 1828 he entered the preparatory class of Western Reserve College, and in 1835 graduated with the first honors; then went to Princeton College, New Jersey, where he studied for three years.  He was licensed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, in 1838, and in the same year came to Canaan township, settling in the village of Jackson, where he took charge of the Jackson, Greene and Wayne Presbyterian churches.  He was ordained in 1842, and moved to Canaan Center in 1844.  He preached one year at Greene, when he left that church, and for six years devoted his whole time to the Jackson and Wayne churches, when the former, requiring all his labors, the latter was dropped and he remained pastor of the Jackson congregation up to the time of his death, November 29, 1877, a period of about forty years.  In September, 1839, he was married to Miss Caroline M. Metcalf, daughter of Mr. Metcalf, of Hudson, Ohio, by which union were the following children: Emily M. (wife of Lieutenant B. F. Heckert), Augusta H. (a teacher in Cleveland), Joseph H. (dead), Mary E. (now a missionary in China), and Ida L.
     In a sketch published in the Presbyterian, December 15, 1877, Presbyterian Taylor, of the Wooster University, thus speaks:

     The cause of religion in this region has just met with a severe loss in the removal of a good and great man, the Rev. Thomas Hughes Barr, D. D., of this county, being seventy years of age.  It is not only from sincere respect for this beloved father that his memory is here commemorated; but also because we find herein represented a peculiar type of the ministry, that is everywhere to be exalted and honored.  For more than forty years, and during his whole ministry, Dr. Barr has labored in one field.  Here he laid down his life in the Presbytery by which he was ordained, never having been separated form it.  He was buried from one of the churches over which he was installed at his ordination.  Being frequently tempted to more prominent fields, with offers of twice or thrice his salary, he invariably resisted all importunity, remarking that God had sent him to his country charge, and he could not remove.
     Dr. Barr was distinguished for the combination of deep wisdom with an almost unmatched modesty.  So retiring and humble he seemed, that he might have been judged of little worth, until some intricate question or delicate situation drew forth an expression of penetrating discernment and keen comprehension of truth and duty.  Yet to the simplicity of a child he added very unusual intellectual strength.  He was noted for the wonderful lucidity with which his views were expressed.  He penetrated the depths of theology and its philosophical relations, and was a master of all the systems, seeming to have them at his tongue's end.

[Page 779]
     Dr. Barr was little known outside of the county, perhaps, except to appreciative ministerial brethren, and to those who emigrated from his charge.  Yet over the whole county, for more than a third of a century, his name has stood as an argument for pure and sincere religion, and his voice has uttered clearly and gospel truth that has impressed multitudes of hearts.   Is not this better than frequent change, with its loss of powers and labor to build up influence anew in a new community?  May our church, in her future, find a more goodly number of her ministry abiding faithful to their tasks, even unto three-score years and ten, and falling in the end in the very tracks in which they stood when they began to preach.

     John Naftzger, father of J. R. Naftzger, of Wooster, was born Mar. 8, 1780, in Lebanon county, Pa., and in 1804 was married to Elizabeth Rider.  In 1811 or 1812 he removed to Chester township,and built a grist-mill on the farm now owned by Mr. Mowery.  In 1818 he moved into the north-east part of Congress township, and built a grist- and saw-mill on Killbuck; and in 1827 another saw-mill, and in 1828 a fourth grist-mill.  His was the first mill on Killbuck.  He was twice married, and the father of twelve children. He died in August, 1866.

     Daniel Blocher was born in Lancaster county, Pa., married Susan Wagner in 1800, and immigrated to Wayne county in 1816, first locating in Greene township, from there removing to Canaan township, where he died September, 1865.  He had two son sand six daughters.

     Thomas Armstrong was born in Northumberland county, Pa., August 22, 1776, and married Jane Cook, about 1801, in Columbiana county, Ohio, and lived there until the breaking out of the war of 1812.  After Hull's surrender he volunteered and was commissioned Captain, and came to Wooster under General Beall.  After the excitement subsided, he returned to Columbiana county, and in the spring of 1815 removed to Wayne county with his wife and children, settling first on Clear creek, but afterwards removed to Canaan, on the farm now owned by his grandson, Thomas, son of William Armstrong, which farm he lived until his death, March 2, 1842, his wife following him April 14, 1856.  They had six sons and four daughters, viz:  William, John, Thomas, Harrison, Eliza, Juliana, Hannah, David, Jane and Calvin.

     Jonas Notestine immigrated to Wayne county from Jefferson county, Ohio, although he was born in Pennsylvania, June 3, 1787, and lived in Virginia until eighteen years of age.  September 27,

[Page 780]
1814, he was married in Washington county, Pa., to Miss Elizabeth Sommers, then removed to Jefferson county, where he followed blacksmithing until 1825, in the spring of which year he came to Wayne county, and settled on a quarter of section 20, entered by his father-in-law, Abraham Sommers.  On this farm he lived until his death, October 23, 1869, his wife still surviving him.  He had six children, as follows:  Mary, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Elizabeth, Jacob L.  He was an honorable, public-spirited and Christian man, a zealous member of the English Lutheran church, of which his wife is also a member.

     William Ewing was born in Sherman's Valley, Pa., November 7, 1775, his wife Agnes being born December 8, of the same year.  By this marriage they had a family of eleven children, to wit:  William Ewing, born January 16, 1796; Susannah Ewing, born February 14,  1798; James Ewing, born May 13, 1801; Jane Ewing, born, June 28, 1803; Samuel Ewing, born May 11, 1805; John Ewing, born May 29, 1807; Alexander Ewing, born August 24, 1809; Joseph Ewing, born February 4, 1812; Mary Ewing, born May 3, 1814; Simon Ewing, born May 19, 1816; Hiram Ewing, born May 7, 1819.
     William Ewing and his son William and daughter Susannah (wife of Hon. Michael Totten)  removed from Stark to Wayne county in 1812, and upon his arrival entered eight or ten quarters of land in Canaan and Congress townships.  His daughter, then but fourteen years of age, accompanied him, to cook for him and her older brother.  He settled on the farm now owned by his son, Simon Ewing, who was the second white child born in Canaan townshipShortly after their settlement in the new county, the news of Hull's surrender swept over the country, creating panic and alarm wherever it was conveyed.  Mr. Ewing, being a fearless and resolute man, gave little heed to the intelligence, or probably he may not have heard it, as George Clark, of Wooster, knowing of his presence in the woods, north of the town, rushed to inform him of the surrender and the imminent danger that menaced the settlers upon the boarder, assuring him "that the British and Indians were coming.
     Considering "discretion the better part of valor," he abandoned his cabin and returned to Stark country, where he remained a hear, coming back to Wayne county the following season, and living for a year on the old Thomas Cox farm, near Stibbs' wood factory,

[Page 781]
which was afterward known as the Christopher Bair property.  In the spring of 1814 he returned to Canaan township, where he lived until his death, which occurred in June, 1856, his wife dying twelve years prior to this time.  Three of his sons - Samuel, Alexander and Simon - and his three daughters, are yet living.
     He was a man of great moral and physical courage in all his relations, characterized by plain, undeviating, straight-forward honesty and rigid adherence to the right.  Like many of the old and bold pioneers, he inclined much to the hunt and chase, and it is said of him that among his trophies he could count more deerhorns than any of his cotemporaries.  At an early date he entered his lands at Canton, coming through the wilderness on horseback, tying the legs of his animals together with straps during the night as he slept in the recesses of the woods.
     He was an excellent type of the backwoodsman, and in his costume, habits and ways, illustrated the simplicity and commonness of life.  He was one of the first Elders in the Seceder church, of Wooster, of which we have failed to procure a history, observing its forms, practicing its precepts, complying faithfully with its many and rigorous faiths and beliefs.

     Isaac Notestine was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, March 24, 1822, and removed to Wayne county, where he remained until he was twenty-two years of age.  At the age of eighteen years he was twenty-two years of age.  At the age of eighteen years he went to Edinburg Academy, then under the management of Rev. Andrews.  He continued going to school and teaching during the winter seasons, attending the first session of the Canaan Academy, commencing in December, 1843, C. C. Bombarger being the first Principal.
     In 1847 Mr. Notestine assumed charge of this academy, retaining its management and control until 1862, with the exception of probably one year of time.  He has taught 36 academy terms, one term of select and six terms of district school.  Sine 1862, with a single exception, he has abandoned the school-room, during which year he removed to the farm.
     He was married June 1, 1848, to Miss Elizabeth Frank, a highly intelligent and refined lady, and has five children, all of whom are living.
     Mr. Notestine has had a remarkable experience in the school-room, and we deem it appropriate to classify him with such veterans in the service as Brinkerhoff and Downing.  He is an excel-

[Page 782]
lent scholar, a man of strong natural qualities of brain, possessed of a methodical and mathematical mind, and of sterling and decided character.

     Burbank was incorporated in 1868, when the name was changed from Bridgeport.  It contains three churches - the Methodist Episcopal, United Brethren, and Evangelical.  The first was organized in the beginning of the village, and the second about the same time, and the third in 1860.  The Burbank Academy was organized in 1873, the present Principal being President Rosseter.  The following are the village officers sine the date of its incorporation:
     1869 - Councilmen for one year - Amos Idleman, David Ecker, Fred Shreffler, A. Hall, Henry Kerns; Mayor - John Reed; Clerk - G. W. Holloway; Treasurer - David Ecker; Marshal - J. A. McBride.
1870.  Councilmen - H. Kerns, George Spangler, E. A. Palmer, A. H. Idleman, D. Ecker, A. Hall; Mayor - John Reed; Clerk - G. H. Holloway; Treasurer - David Ecker; Marshal - John Aukerman.
1871.  Councilmen - A. H. Idleman, C. A. Slater, John Reed; Mayor - David Ecker.
1872.  Councilmen - David Ecker, E. A. Palmer, C. W. Wesier; Mayor - Daniel Pickard; Clerk  - G. W. Holloway; Treasurer - N. Miller.
1873.  Councilmen - John Reed, A. H. Idleman, Reuben Reed.
1874.  Councilmen - David Ecker, E. P. Frarey, B. D. Over; Mayor - Daniel Pickard; Clerk - G. W. Holloway; Treasurer - N. Miller; Marshal - S. C. Frary.
1876.  Councilmen - G. N. Shoup, D. Whealand, N. Lewis; Mayor - E. A. Palmer; Clerk - M. H. Dodd; Treasurer - N. Miller; Marshal - M. S. Reed.
1877.  Councilmen - John Reed, Joshua Biddle, Cyrus Young; Mayor - Samuel Glass.





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights