OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 
Welcome to
Marion County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

Biographies

Source:
The History of Marion County, Ohio

Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, etc.:
General and Local Statistics;  Military Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc.
Illustrated
Publ. Chicago; Leggett, Conaway & Co. -
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX>
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  Montgomery Twp. -
LUTHER R. LA RUE was born in Athens Co., Ohio, Sept. 14, 1827.  He was reared and educated upon a farm near La Rue, taking advantage of the common schools of his day.  He taught five winter terms.  He was married, May 21, 1848, to Ann Keech, born Oct. 23, 1826, a daughter of William and Jane (Patten) Keech, of Welsh and Scotch ancestry respectively, and natives of Pennsylvania.  They came to Ohio in 1840, settling in Bowling Green Twp., rearing a family of six children, five living - James P., Ann, David H., Jane and Margaret; Mary is deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. La Rue have been the parents of eight children, four living - David H., born June. 23, 1849; Albert N., May 25, 1853; William P., May 10, 1856, and Mary "C., May 15, 1869.  William was born Feb. 19, 1851, and died Apr. 5, 1851; Oliver P., born Dec. 19, 1864, died Oct. 24, 1868, and two infants.  Mr. La Rue is a Nephew of Maj. La Rue, and settled in Ringold County, Iowa, in 1854, entering 280 acres of land, and obtaining a patent from President Pierce, June 5, 1856, therefor; he returned to Montgomery Twp. in 1868, and is the owner to--day (1883) of 324 acres of fine land.  In Iowa, he served upon the County Board of Supervision (known here as Board of County Commissioners), and also two terms as Justice.  He has served as Trustee of Montgomery and Bowling Green Townships.  He is a wide-awake Republican, an exemplary citizen, and with his wife, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 841
  Bowling Green Twp. -
WILLIAM P. LA RUE

Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 683

  Claridon Twp. -
JOHN C. LEE, deceased, was born in Pennsylvania, on the Susquehanna River, Aug. 16, 1793.  He was the son of Zebulon P. Lee, who came from Scotland with seven brothers and entered the war of the Revolution as a spy for the cause of Independence, ever afterward losing trace of his brothers.  He was wounded, for which he received a life pension.  He died in Hancock County, Ohio, at the advanced age of one hundred and eight years.  His widow, of Low Dutch stock, died when ninety-six years of age.  John C. came to Fairfield County, Ohio, in early life; thence to Marion, County, settling in Scott Township.  He married Miss Sarah Black in March, 1824, who died Jan. 23, 1826.  He was married again, to Miss Louisa Spurgeon, Oct. 26, 1830.  She was also a native of Pennsylvania, born Jan. 1, 1801. She removed with her parents to Scott Township at a very early date, locating on the east bank of Muddy Run.  They had seven childrenóDaniel, born Mar. 15, 1831, a resident of Montana Territory since 1881; Noah, born July 5, 1833; Hannah, born Aug. 22, 1835, married J. M. Dixter, Jan. 18, 1854, who died Feb. 28, 1865, leaving three children; again married, William Osborn, Apr. 16, 1867, leaving two children, she occupying the old homestead; Sarah A., born Oct. 10, 1838, married S. J. Hipsher May 5, 1864, and died Sept. 11, 1877, leaving three children; William H., born July 23, 1841, a resident of Montana Territory since 1864, living upon a ranch forty miles below the National Park; Maggie, born Mar. 4, 1845, married G. W. Ault June 27. 1866, and died Aug. 4, 1869, bearing two children, now deceased; Zillah J., Dec. 28, 1849, married P. J. Heading Sept. 16, 1869, had three children, moved first to Illinois, but settled in Washington County, Kan. These parents continued to reside in Scott Township until death, being firm believers in the doctrine of universal salvation, and members of the Universalist Church.  Mr. Lee died Sept. 11, 1867, and Mrs. Lee survived until May 11, 1875.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 736
  Claridon Twp. -
NOAH LEE, the son of the preceding, was born July 5, 1833.  He lived with his parents, acquiring a common school education, spending four months in the fall of 1853 at a Quaker school in Delaware County.  He supplemented this by teaching a three months' term in Indiana.  In the fall of 1855, he drove a team to Story County, Iowa, for Amon Hipsher.  He continued in that State two and a half years.  Apr. 10, 1858, there being no railroads west of the Mississippi, he and William Osborn walked from Iowa to Allen County, Kan., a distance of 450 miles; there he took up a Government claim, pre-empted the same, and assisted to lay out the town of Iola, the present county seat of Allen County.  In the autumn of 1860, he returned to Ohio.  Mar. 28, 1864, he set out for Montana Territory, and obtaining the company of W. H. Lee and Jerome Sult at Valparaiso, Ind., they went to Cedar County, Iowa, where they purchased four yoke of oxen (one yoke were cows), provisions, etc., etc.  June 1 they started, reaching Virginia City after two and one-half months of tedious riding; mined here, washing gold, until late in the fall; then, with eleven comrades, he built a flatboat and embarked upon the Yellowstone, homeward bound.  The river was very low, making their journey very slow and wearisome.  They were frequently obliged to step out into the floating slush and lift their craft from some hidden rock.  After thus running several days, the ice completely dammed the river, compelling them to abandon the boat.  Taking such articles as they could carry, they walked to the mouth of that river in a few days, completely exhausted from the want of food.  Seven ofthe company wintered at Fort Union, up the Missouri, but the remaining four, of whom our subject was one, were determined to reach the States.  Accordingly, an old skiff was secured, in which they traveled two days and nights, the ice finally compelling them to take to land again.  Reaching Fort Berhold, under the guidance of an Indian, they set out once more for the settlements.  After wading many days through the snow, they went into camp near the Painted Woods country.  Just as they were well settled for the night, twenty-one Sioux Indian warriors surrounded them.  All their loose clothing, provisions and the like were seized, and they were obliged to cross the river to their camp.  The next day they were permitted to take their departure, but that same evening they came upon another band of Indians, who were friendly and sheltered them for the night.  Three Indians being furnished by the latter to guide and protect them, they finally reached Fort Rice, half frozen.  They then passed down the river to Sioux City, where the party separated.  Apr. 23, 1867, Mr. Lee was wedded to Miss Lizzie Reed.  They have had two childrenóWilliam R., born Feb. 18, 1870 (became deaf from the effects of spinal fever, when three years of age; his parents are educating him at the Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb at Columbus, Ohio); Frank was born Apr. 7, 1875.  For the past fifteen years, Mr. Lee has been successfully engaged in the milling business at Caledonia: is a prominent and influential citizen; is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and its Secretary for twelve years, also a member of the Town Council for seven years; of the School Board since 1873, and its Clerk during that time.  He has been Treasurer of the Cemetery Association since its organization, also Treasurer of the School Library.  He is a member of the Universalist Church, and has occupied the position of Superintendent of the Sunday school for ten years.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 737
  Bowling Green Twp. -
LUKE LENOX

Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 683

  Marion Twp. -
DANIEL LINN is the seventh son of Levi and Mary (Van Buskirk) Linn, and a native of Maryland.  His father was a native of Pennsylvania, but of Irish descent, while his mother was a native of the same State but of German descent.  His father fought in the war of Independence and reared of a family of thirteen children, eight of whom were boys.  Daniel, the subject of family of thirteen children, eight of whom were boys.  Daniel, the subject of this paragraph, obtained his education in the limited schools of that early day, finishing his school career when aged fifteen years; he continued to labor for his parents until his marriage.  In 1831, he came to Marion County, entering 160 acres near where he now resides.  Through industry and frugality.  Mr. Linn has owned at one time 600 acres, all in the county, but at present has disposed of all but his homestead, consisting of 160 acres valued at $100 per acre.  This farm is in a good state of cultivation, being drained by 3,000 rods of tile.  Mr. Linn has the honor of introducing tile into the county for farming purposes, which he did in 1867.  His home he built in 1875 for $2,500; he has improved 400 acres of land himself.  June 10, 1823, h3 married Mary A. Geiger, daughter of John and Kanable Geiger, of Bedford County, Penn., ,people of German descent.  Eight children have blessed this union - Robert M.; Orilla, wife of James Maxwell, of Wisconsin; Harriet, wife of Mr. March, of Wisconsin; Mary, maiden lady; George, a soldier of the late war and a professor of music, at Duvall's Bluff, Ark.; J. B. Birney, of Chattanooga, Tenn., and Charles T.  Mar. 20, 1864, Mr. Linn married again, Rachel McFarland, George Edmund's widow.  Five children have been born to them, one dying an infant; the names of the living are Jennie, Nettie, Arthur and Maria B.  Mrs. Linn was the daughter of James and Mary (Ross) McFarland, her people originating in Ireland, though the Rosses came from England.  Her eighty years of age, is still hale, hearty and industrious.  He belongs to the Republican Party.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 606
  Marion Twp. -
PHILIP LINN, JR., is a native of Crawford County, Ohio, born Mar. 9, 1842, the son of Philip and Christina (Holcher) Linn, who emigrated from Germany about 1830, settling in the above county.  They brought up eight children, seven of whom survive.  They are John, William (deceased), Mary, wife of Andrew Green; Henry, Philip, Jacob, Charles and Elizabeth.  Mrs. Linn died about 1868, aged sixty years.  Mr. Linn, though born in 1801, is still vigorous.  The school education of Philip was necessarily limited, for by choice he left the parental roof when fourteen, commencing to work by the month, at which he continued fourteen years.  The first year he received the sum of $7 per month, but later he received as high as $30 per month.  Sept. 12, 1867, he was married to Mary Kerr, daughter of Robert Kerr, of whom mention is made in this volume.  To them three children have been born - Minnie, born Aug. 9, 1868, died Aug. 31 1869; Ola P. R., born May 8, 1871; and Charles O., born Jun. 6, 1873.  The first three years of married life he rented of his father-in-law; then Mr. Kerr gave him the use of a farm situated in the southwest corner of Scott Township, which he still retains.  He lived upon that farm about twelve years.  In 1870, he bought 160 acres in Scott Township, paying $6,800 cash - a sum he had earned by his industry.  He has since disposed of that place, and in 1881 purchased his present property, in Marion Township, consisting then of ninety-three acres, but now of 225 acres of well-cultivated land.  This is all underlaid with building and lime stone; $100 per acre is a small estimate of its worth.  In 1881, he built a substantial brick residence, finely furnished, at a cost of $6,000.  He also owns an eighty-acre lot in Scott Township.  He is making a specialty of Merino sheep, having at present 350 head.  In politics, Mr. Linn is an Independent Democrat.  Himself and wife are members of the Disciple Church.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 607
  Prospect Twp. -
DAVID D. LITTLE

Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 929

  Big Island Twp. -
ELMUS LONGACRE was born Feb. 16, 1836, in Wyandot County, Ohio.  He is the son of Daniel and Harriet Longacre.  His father's grandfather came to this country from Germany early in this century.  His father, a soldier of the war of 1812, came from Pennsylvania in 1833 to Wyandot County, remaining two or three years; then to Big Island Township, remaining until his death in 1867, aged ninety-one years.  Mr. Longacre remained with his parents until his twenty-fifth year.  Oct. 25, 1860, he married Sarah J. Morthland, daughter of Solomon and Sarah Morthland, of Marion, she dying within a year.  He married again, Nov. 27, 1862, Miss Lydia Frederick, daughter of John and Polly Frederick, of Illinois.  Their children are three - John F., Eugene D. and Isaac.  Mr. L. has moved many times, renting first home property three or four years; again in Missouri for fourteen months; then, returning, buying the old Longacre farm, living there seven years; but he purchased his present desirable residence in 1879, consisting of 237 acres, now worth $15,000.  His fine tract of land lies between the C. & A. and the C., C., C. I. Railroads, upon the Green Camp road.  He raises large quantities of wheat and corn annually.  Mr. L. has been a member of the Baptist Church for three years.  He is a reliable and respected citizen.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 662
  Marion Twp. -
H. S. LUCAS, an old merchant of Marion County, was born in Homer, Cortland Co., N.Y., Sept. 8, 1826.  He is a son of William W. and Anna (Hitchcock) Lucas, both natives of Homer, Cortland Co., N. Y.  The former was born in 1802, and the latter in 1803.  They were married and moved to Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1832, and subsequently to Lorain County, where they resided till 1846, and went to Cuyahoga Falls, Summit County.  Mr. W. W. Lucas died Jan. 26, 1883; his widow still resides at that place.  They had two children - H. S., the subject of this sketch, and Lydia A., wife of James Zwisler, of Adrian, Mich.  H. S. was brought up on a farm; from 1846 to 1853, he followed clerking at Cuyahoga Falls, Akron and Cleveland.  Sept. 3, 1853, he came to Marion, and with F. P. Seffner engaged in the mercantile business; in 185_, he went to LaRue and followed merchandising, under the firm name of H. S.. Lucas & Co., doing an extensive business until 1879, when he returned to Marion and established himself in the Masonic Block.  He carries a stock of from $15,000 to $25,000, and conducts a successful business.  May 3, 1851, he was joined in marriage to Miss Abbie A. Green, by whom he had three children, viz.:  Jennie M., William G. and Carrie a.  Mrs. Lucas  departed this life in August, 1871, and in September, 1872, Mr. Lucas, again married, this time Miss Retta McLain, a daughter of Rev. John McLain, of Tiffin, Ohio.  Three children were born to this marriage - Stewart H., Grace M. and Rhea.  Mr. Lucas and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.  He is connected with the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council of the Masonic order, and also with the Royal Arcanum.  In May, 1864, Mr. Lucas enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio National Guards.  He served as Sergeant near Alexandria, and was discharged September, 1864.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 607
  Big Island Twp. -
DANIEL LUVISI was born in Italy Aug. 15, 1832, son of Vincennes and Elizabeth Luvisi.  He was a soldier in Garibaldi's war of 1848.  He came to America in 1856; was robbed of his entire possessions ($15) on the voyage.  He peddled the first year or two; then worked upon the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad for six years; then farmed fifteen years, and came to the village of Big Island in 1876, where  he has since been engaged as grocer adn saloonist.  His stock amounts to about $1,200, and his annual sales to $2,000.  He married June 22, 1873, Mrs. Elizabeth Brady, John Brady's widow.  He is a member of the Catholic Church, and she of Pleasant Hill Church.
Source:  The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 663

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MARION COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights