A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of City of Dayton and Montgomery County, Ohio
by Rev. A. W. Drury
- Vol. 1 -

Chapter VIII
pg. 887


     Jackson township first appeared as a subdivision of Montgomery county June 6, 1814.  In 1820 the present boundaries of Jackson township were established.  It is of the greatest advantage in understanding the location of the lands in the township that the original surveyed or congressional township is the same as the political township. Jackson township is township 4, range 4 east.  It has, therefore, thirty-six square miles of territory.  Big Twin and Little Twin creeks flow through its territory.  Tom’s Run passes through the western part and empties into the Big Twin.  The land consists of a large area of bottom lands and hilly and level uplands.
     The township began to be settled soon after the adjacent territory of German and Jefferson townships began to be occupied.  With the opening of the land to
regular settlement in 1801, the intrepid pioneers made their appearance.  Many of the present residents of the township are the descendants of the original settlers.  An account of the original entries or purchases of land will be, therefore, of special interest.  Many persons have guessed and speculated as to the locations and time of arrival of the first settlers.  The following table indicating the purchasers and time of purchase of Jackson township lands taken from the records of the state auditor is the decisive authority in these matters:
Section I -      
  N. E. 1/4 Christopher Mason May 29, 1805
  N. W. 1/4 John Miller Oct. 30, 1810
  S. E. 1/4 Abraham Hoover Mar. 25, 1805
  S. W. 1/4 Abraham Hoover Oct. 3, 1814

[Page 888]

Section 2 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Henry Miller Oct. 30, 1810
  N. W. 1/4 John Salar Mar. 15, 1816
  S. E. 1/4 Lower & Shower Nov. 9, 1811
  S. W. 1/4 Peter Hiestand Jan. 7, 1817
Section 3 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Isaac Bennet Oct. 6, 1817
  N. W. 1/4 Sam. I. Kirmaman Nov. 11, 1815
  S. W. 1/4 Sam. I. Kirmaman Dec. 16, 1814
Section 4 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Isaac Bennet Oct. 6, 1817
  N. W. 1/4 G. Platter, ass. D. Lindlay Sept. 18, 1817
  S. E. 1/4 Andrew Leslie Mar. 8, 1817
  S. W. 1/4 Wm. C. Schenck Dec. 2, 1816
Section 5 -      
    Jacob Humbert Dec. 15, 1808
Section 6 -      
  N. E. 1/4 John Beard Aug. 31, 1818
  N. W. 1/4 Thom. Smith Apr. 6, 1805
  S. E. 1/4 John Grewell Dec. 18, 1811
  S. W. 1/4 John Murphy Sep. 24, 1804
Section 7 -      
    Robert Harding Aug. 21, 1804
Section 8 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Zachariah Kurts July 1, 1817
  N. W. 1/4 James Bunnel Nov. 7, 1805
  S. E. 1/4 Henry Butt Mar. 18, 1814
  S. W. 1/4 Nicholas Bock Oct. 26, 1814
Section 9 -      
  N. E. 1/4 John Wirick Oct. 28, 1810
  N. W. 1/4 Peter Andrews John. 22, 1814
  S. E. 1/4 Martin Mikesell Jan. 17, 1817
  S. W. 1/4 Dan. Lasley Jan. 13, 1814
Section 10 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Lewis Fouts Oct. 25, 1811
  N. W. 1/4 Jacob Wirick Jan. 11, 1808
  S. E. 1/4 John Ruby Nov. 19, 1811
  S. W. 1/4 Jacob Swinehart Jan. 4, 1806
Section 11 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jos. Grip Apr. 30, 1814
  N. W. 1/4 Sam. Rodchaffer Oct. 21, 1818
  S. E. 1/4 Philip Sieber June 13, 1810
  S. W. 1/4 John Pence Oct. 19, 1810
Section 12 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Henry Helpman Nov. 6, 1805
  N. W. 1/4 Jac. and Hen. Klinger Aug. 1, 1816

[Page 889]

  S. E. 1/4 Henry Hiestand Oct. 20, 1806
  S. W. 1/4 Christian Meisner July 15, 1813
Section 13 -      
    C. Fogalgasong Jan. 5, 1814
Section 14 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jac. Wyrick May 2, 1810
  N. W. 1/4 Lewis Fouts June 14, 1810
  S. E. 1/4 Jacob Ruby Jan. 13, 1803
  S. W. 1/4 Philip Sleifer Jan. 12, 1809
Section 15 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Matthias Young Dec. 11, 1817
  N. W. 1/4 Jac. Barker Dec. 29, 1815
  S. E. 1/4 Henry Abfel Dec. 28, 1813
  S. W. 1/4 Matthias Young Dec. 11, 1817
Section 17 -      
  N. E. 1/4 John Galloway July 13, 1805
  N. W. 1/4 Jacob Swinehart Nov. 21, 1812
  S. E. 1/4 Adam Butt Nov. 21, 1812
  S. W. 1/4 Thomas Smith Apr. 16, 1805
Section 18 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jacob Swinehert Dec. 12, 1809
  N. W. 1/4 James Sharp Dec. 12, 1809
  S. E. 1/4 Henry Snider Nov. 6, 1805
  S. W. 1/4 Ed. Harding Feb. 22, 1812
Section 19 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Henry Snider Nov. 6, 1805
  N. W. 1/4 Jac. Grewell Apr. 9, 1805
  S. E. 1/4 Allan Stever Oct. 14, 1812
  S. W. 1/4 Jac. Coleman Apr. 25, 1805
Section 20 -      
  N. E. 1/4 John Vantilburg Sep. 21, 1813
  N. W. 1/4 John S. Mau June 11, 1808
  S. E. 1/4 Dan. Snider Nov. 6, 1805
  S. W. 1/4 Nicholas Bock June 16, 1814
Section 21 -      
  N. E. 1/4 John Mingle Feb. 3, 1817
  N. W. 1/4 Fred Baker Dec. 20, 1815
  S. E. 1/4 Jacob Henning Nov. 24, 1815
  S. W. 1/4 Christian Seiberling Dec. 21, 1815
Section 22 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jac. and Phil. Rhodes Nov. 12, 1814
  N. W. 1/4 John Keynhart Nov. 28, 1815
  S. E. 1/4 Jacob Brown Apr. 26, 1815
  S. W. 1/4 John Mingle Dec. 29, 1815
Section 23 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Woodbery Saylor Nov. 25, 1811
  N. W. 1/4 Andrew Hoover Nov. 30, 1804

[Page 890]

  S. E. 1/4 Christian Cook June 21, 1806
  S. W. 1/4 George Leslie Sept. 24, 1804
Section 24 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jac. Kercher Aug. 7, 1805
  N. W. 1/4 Chris. Fogalgasong June 11, 1805
  S. E. 1/4 Jac. Kercher Aug. 7, 1805
  S. W. 1/4 Jac. KErcher Aug. 7, 1805
Section 25 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Henry Rappe Nov. 15, 1806
  N. W. 1/4 John Stumf Nov. 20, 1806
  N. E. 1/4 Peter Mikesell Dec. 16, 1806
  S. W. 1/4 Matthias Swartsel Dec. 27, 1805
Section 26 -      
    Amos Higgins Aug. 10, 1804
Section 27 -      
    John Miller Oct. 29, 1803
Section 28 -      
    Abraham Swartsel Aug. 15, 1804
Secton 29 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Devault Leatherman Dec. 13, 1804
  N. W. 1/4 Martin Shuey Aug. 14, 1810
  S. E. 1/4 Henry Yount Dec. 11, 1804
  S. W. 1/4 George Roudebush July 1, 1805
Section 30 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Henry Shideler Aug. 4, 1810
  N. W. 1.4 Philip Guntle (?) Apr. 26, 1805
  S. E. 1/4 Adam Swinehart Dec. 12, 1809
  S. W. 1/4 Abraham Hane Sept. 30, 1806
Section 31 -      
  N. E. 1/4 Jacob Sinks Sept. 24, 1804
  N. W. 1/4 Isaac Bear Oct. 5, 1804
  S. E. 1/4 David Fetter Nov. 10, 1806
  S. W. 1/4 Peter Swinehert Apr. 11, 1810
Section 32 -      
    John Kinsey Nov. 19, 1803
Section 33 -      
    Philip Stoner Aug. 26, 1803
Section 34 -      
    Henry Yount Aug. 22, 1804
Section 35 -      
    Daniel Robbins May 28, 1802

     Among the early settlers, special mention is generally made of John Kinsey and Abraham Swartsel.  The last named entered section 28, in which Farmersville was afterward located.  He had a family consisting of his wife and four

[Page 891]
children. He built a cabin of round logs with three sides, the front being open.  The fire was built in front, and the only heat in the cabin was from this fire, which was kept over night in a large iron kettle.  Other cabins were constructed in a similar way.  In the Swartsel cabin, nine children, “all of them healthy and robust as the trees about them,” were born.
     Rude schoolhouses were built in some parts of the township at an early day.  The first school taught was in a little log schoolhouse which stood where Slifer’s church now is.  It was taught for twelve weeks.  The farmers subscribed for twenty-three scholars at two dollars each, payable in money and produce.  In 1810, the Lutheran minister.  Rev. Mr. Mau taught a school for a year in a log schoolhouse where the Staver church was afterward built. In 1813, a log schoolhouse was built in the Swartsel neighborhood.  It was a German school, and was taught by a traveling German teacher.  In 1818, a schoolhouse was built on Tom’s Run, one and one-half miles from where Farmersville now stands, in which school was taught by an Englishman named Graham.  Subscription schools continued to be maintained in the township a number of years after the school law of 1825, which required the districting of each township, was passed.
     The officers of Jackson township are the following: Trustees, W. O. Izor, Nathan Peters, David Harp; and Clerk, J. A. Myers.


     Farmersville was platted by Oliver Dalrymple in 1832 and received its name because it was expected that farmers would be the purchasers of lots.  Mr. Dalrymple had previously for years conducted a store at this place, and, in addition, a sort of tavern.  In 1849, the town was incorporated by act of the legislature.  The first officers were the following:  Mayor, Jonathan Burz; Recorder, J. Zehring; Members of the Council, M. Coolman, James Archer, O. Wysong, S. Harry and J. H. Butt.  The town continued to grow, mainly by farmers from the surrounding country moving within its limits.
     The business houses and various industries of Farmersville are the following:
a creamery, a sawmill, a grain elevator, four groceries, one shoe and clothing store, one hardware and implement store, one drug store, one carriage factory,
one hotel, and a variety of others.
     The Citizens’ Bank has a capital of fifty thousand dollars.  Joseph Ulrich is president of the bank and G. C. Smith, cashier.
     The Farmers’ Insurance company of Jackson township, incorporated in 1888, is a valuable institution for the township.  P. P. Stockslager is president and John S. Harter, secretary.
     The officers for the town of Farmersville are the following:  Mayor, C. L. Boomershine ; Clerk, John Kurtz; Treasurer, E. M. Heisey; Marshal, Ora Cook; Members of Council, L. K. Basore, J. J. Swartsel, A. F. Gilbert, G. C. Smith, E. F. Stump, Ora E. Stover. E. M. Heisey is postmaster.  The population is placed at five hundred.
     There are four churches in the town of Farmersville.
     THE UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH was organized in 1831, and held meetings in the houses of Jacob Crider and John Reel until 1841, when the society bought

[Page 892]
a half acre of Oliver Dalrymple for thirty-six dollars, and built a church costing seven hundred dollars.  The first pastor was George Bonebrake.  The present
church was built in 1908.  The present pastor is Rev. J. H. Mayne.  The present membership is one hundred and two.
     THE GERMAN REFORMED CHURCH was organized March 15, 1844, with twenty-eight charter members.  The corner stone of the first church building was laid May 7, 1848.  At this time, a German address was delivered by Rev. David Winters and an English address by Rev. Jesse Steiner.  The church was dedicated June 22, 1851, the German address being given by Rev. Henry Kroh and the English address by Rev. Henry Willard.  The second church building was erected in 1870, and dedicated January 31, 1871.  Pastors have served this congregation in the following order: George Long, William K. Zeiber, I. H. Reiter, H. L. Comfort, Levi Rike, M. F. Frank, A. E. Baichley, B. F. Davis, C. E. Ewing, F. E. Lauffer, H. S. Richards.  The present membership is two hundred and eleven.
     THE ST. ANDREW'S LUTHERAN CHURCH was founded by Rev. Andrew Henkel in 1825.  He was the pastor for the first thirty-five years.  Pastors serving since his time were: J. Steirwalt, Amos Poorman, H. H. Hurdlimk, L. Fudge, who is the present pastor.  The first church was erected in 1825 and the present church in 1872.  The membership is one hundred and fifty.
     THE MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH was organized August 20, 1879, with a membership of fifteen.  The present membership is forty.  G. M. Grau was the
first pastor.  N. H. Royer, who recently resigned, was the pastor from 1904 to 1909.


     New Lebanon was platted in 1843.  It lies partly in Jackson township and partly in Perry township.  The town was incorporated in 1878, and N. S. Price
was elected mayor.  At one time, considerable business was done in this town.  But since the withdrawal of the stage lines and the establishment of quick connections with larger places the town has been at a standstill.  The population is one hundred and ninety-two.  The mayor is Orion Brumbaugh, who is also the


     This town lies likewise in two townships.  The part of the town in Jackson township was platted in 1850.  Johnsville, at one time in a flourishing condition, has suffered from the same causes that have affected a large number of small towns near large places.
     THE UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH in Johnsville was founded in 1841, and the first church building was erected in 1842, the second in 1860, and the present beautiful and commodious building in 1908.  The membership is one hundred and twenty-five.  Rev. J. H. Mayne is pastor.
     THE GERMAN REFORMED CHURCH was organized about 1850, and in 1852 built its first church.  This building was replaced in 1879 by a commodious brick structure erected at a cost of four thousand dollars. The membership numbers one hundred and two.

[Page 893]
     The rural churches in Jackson township have filled an important place.  The Staver Lutheran church, near the center of the western part of the township, is an old landmark.  Twin Chapel, of the United Brethren church, in the southeast part of the township, has filled a large place in the community in which it is situated.  The church was organized about 1845.  It erected its first church building 1854 and its present church building in 1905.  The membership is 107.  There is a German Lutheran church on the Eaton pike west of Johnsville.
     THE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH (SLIFER'S), near Farmersville, is a large and growing church.  The excellent church property here has always been owned, controlled and occupied conjointly by the Lutherans and the Reformed.  At this place, as in nearly all German communities in the state, in early times, there was first a schoolhouse, and in these early schoolhouses divine services were held on widely separated Sundays, by the pioneer missionary preachers, who
visited and labored throughout these regions.
     The first burial that took place, of which we have any knowledge, was that of Mrs. Margaret Seiler, which took place on May 25, 1810, or just a century ago.  From that time on, we are informed, divine services were conducted in the school building, until the first “House of Worship” had been erected, in 1819.  This first church edifice was a two-story log structure, with high pulpit, and galleries on three sides, as was universally the case in the old-time and old-style churches.
     In 1852, this sacred edifice was supplanted by a moderate sized brick church, surmounted by a steeple, and supplied with a bell.  This edifice stood until the
year 1896, when it was replaced by the present very large, substantial and beautiful structure, which was erected at a cost of twelve thousand dollars.  It was in the times when all things were cheap.  It could not be replaced now for twenty thousand dollars.  Neither congregation has ever been very large in numbers.  The communicant roll of the Lutheran congregation now contains about one hundred and thirty-five names.
     The missionary preachers, Simon and Mau, are thought to have done pioneer work here, as they did in other places in Montgomery and other counties.  The Rev. John Caspar Dill, pastor at Germantown, 1815-1824, is still spoken of as having been the first regular pastor of the Lutherans during the years above given.  The sainted Rev. Andrew Henkel, successor of the Rev. J. C. Dill, held services here for the long period of forty-five years—1825-70—with the exception of a brief period in the forties when the Rev. Jacob Gruber, pastor at Lewisburg, served the church and later for a brief time in the sixties, when Rev. Julius T. Stirewalt, the son-in-law of Rev. Henkel, served the people here.
     The Rev. Amos Poorman was pastor from 1871 to 1888.
     From 1890, until the present time, the Rev. V. B. Christy has been the pastor of the Lutheran flock, in the Slifer church, serving this congregation and the Salem congregation of Ellerton as his parish. The parsonage for the charge is at Ellerton.





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights