PRIOR to 1845, the territory now comprised
in Antrim Township was included in the counties of Marion and
Crawford. At the organization of this county it assumed its
present boundaries - the east and south by Crawford and Marion
Counties respectively, the west by Pitt and Crane Townships, and the
north by Eden Township. Sections 3 to 10 inclusive of the
southern part of this township was detached from Grand Prairie, of
Marion County, these divisions comprising a tract two miles wide,
extending entirely across the township. The old Reservation line
extends east through the northern part of Sections 31, 32 and 33, to a
point near the center of the northwest quarter of Section 34, from
which it extends directly north through Sections 27, 22, 15, 10 and 3
Throughout the entire township
the surface is undulating and well watered by the Sandusky, its
tributaries and several constant springs. The Sandusky River
enters at a point near the center of the eastern line of the southeast
quarter of Section 34, and extends in a northwesterly direction
through the same; also through Section 28, in the same direction,
converging to a due west course at a point about midway of the
half-section line in the northern part of Section 20; thence trending
southwest from a point near the eastern boundary of the northeast
quarter of Section 19, passing out at the southwest corner of the
latter. Broken Sword Creek enters the township at the north at a
point near the northeast corner of Section 5, and flows in a south and
southwest direction through Sections 4, 8, 17 and 18, cutting the
northeast and southwest corners of the latter respectively, and
entering the Sandusky near the center of Section 19. Grass Run
and Gray Eye Run flow from the eastern part of the township, form a
juncture in Section 21, and empty into the Sandusky near the southwest
corner of Section 20. The soil of Antrim Township is very
fertile and well adapted to wheat 20. The soil of Antrim
Township is very fertile and well adapted to wheat raising, as well as
to the culture of oats, corn and other ordinary cereals. Large
crops of corn from the bottom lands, and wheat from the elevated as
well as the lower tracts are annually gathered, and the township has
the honor of supporting some of the most prominent farmers of the
THE EARLY SETTLERS
The first white settler who located in
Antrim Township was John Kirby. He settled on land in
1819 that Col. M. H. Kirby entered in 1820. He was born in
Halifax County, Va., and came to Highland County, Ohio, in 1814, and
from there to this county, where he died about 1847 or 1848, having
reared a large family of children. Jacob Coon also
located in this township in the fall of the same year. He came from
Pickaway County, and located in the southeastern part of the township
in 1819, and resided on the same farm sixty years.
Zachariah Welsh came to this county in 1821, and
settled in Wyandot Village. He died in 1849; his wife's demise
occurred in 1857. Edmund E., his son, was born in Chillicothe,
Ohio, in 1810. He came to this county with his parents and died
January 29, 1880, in Nevada, to which place he removed in 1865. He
came from Fairfield County.
Jesse Jurey came from Highland County in
1820 or 1822, and settled west of the village of Wyandot, where he
lived and died. Walter Woolsey came from New York State
and settled in the township in 1820.
In 1820, Col. M. H. Kirby entered 640 acres where
Wyandot now is situated. He made additions to this till he owned 1200
acres, on which he moved from Columbus in 1839, remaining till 1843,
when he was appointed Receiver of the Northwestern Land Office. These
were the principal settlers up to the date last mentioned, and, in
fact, to the date of the organization of the county, 1845, after which
time settlements were rapidly made.
Isaac Longwell came from Licking County
in 1821, and took up his abode in this township. William T. Howe
settled here about the same time. Thomas Terry came soon
after from Highland County, Ohio. He was formerly from Old Virginia.
He died in Marseilles Township. His son-in-law, Josiah
Robertson, moved to the township with him. Abner Jurey
located in Antrim in 1822. He was born in Virginia, and was married in
this county to Priscilla Winslow, who now resides at
Wyandot. He died in 1851. Jacob Brewer moved to the
township from the Darby Plains in 1824. Henry
Brown, born in Pennsylvania, moved to Wayne County, Ohio, in 1818,
and to this township in 1826.
Thomas Thompson moved from New
Philadelphia to this township in 1827. He was afterward a missionary,
and was employed on the Mission farm. He was also a school teacher. He
died in Seneca County, Ohio, in 1884. Isaac Miller first
settled here in 1836. He was born in Rockingham County, Va., in 1784.
John Leith came from Fairfield County in 1832 or 1833.
George W. Leith moved to Antrim in 1837. In
1845, he was appointed Associate Judge, serving seven years. He died
at Nevada March 10, 1883. Lair, Isaac and Jacob
Miller were also settlers of 1836-37, coming with their
parents, and being then almost grown to manhood. Jacob
Keller first purchased land here in 1825, and still lives in the
township. He was born in Virginia in 1797. Benjamin Hite
came in about 1840. He was born in Perry County in 1815. D. W.
Wilson was one of the early settlers, as was also James
Daughmer. Peter Brewer was born in this Township in
The first house, a hewed-log structure, was erected by
John Kirby, on the land entered by Col. Kirby
in 1819. Isaac Longwell and Sarah Winslow
were the first who were joined in marriage in the township, and
Rebecca Welsh, daughter of Zachariah and
Hannah (Stein) Welsh, was the first white child
born therein, the date of her birth being 1822. Magdalene
Hite was born in 1823, probably the second white child born in the
township. Abner Jury, an infant, was the first to pass
away, the date of his death being August, 1821. He was buried in the
Macedona Graveyard, and the little marble slab that marks the spot is
brown with age. In 1825-26, David Bibler built a grist
mill east of Wyandot on the Sandusky River, the first mill constructed
in the township. He was also the first " tavern-keeper" in the
township. John Kirby had the honor of being the first
merchant of Antrim, his store being located in the village of Wyandot.
Most of the settlers, the early settlers, were located within the
village of Wyandot, south and east of the Reservation line, but at the
date of the organization of the county, or soon after, the settlement
was more general, and quite extensive, as will be seen by the
following list of tax payers of the township in 1845, and the number
of acres owned by each:
OWNERS OF REAL ESTATE.
John Bibler, 169
acres; George Bricker, 90 1/2 acres; Bain &
Williams, 5 1/2 acres; William Bain, 62 acres; Goodlove
Bowman, 160 acres; John A. Bibler, 92 acres; Samuel
Bretz, 12 acres; Michael Battenfield, 80 acres;
Cox & Hampton, 240 acres; Bank Clinton,
664 1/2 acres; Jacob Coon, 80 acres; John N. Cox,
320 acres; Josiah Copeland, 80 acres; Benjamin
Cope, 2 acres; Reuben Drake, 160 acres; Mary
Drake, 80 acres; James Daughmer, 48 acres;
Joseph Drake, 27 acres; Andrew Eby, 80 acres;
Zurial Fowler, 220 acres; Tira Garrett, 98
acres; Charles B. Garrett, 312 acres, also carding machine;
John Goshorn, 80 acres; George B. Garrett, 159
acres; Eli W. Groyman, 160 acres; David Hite,
35 acres; Benjamin Hite, 72 acres; William T. Howe,
240 acres; Jacob Howenstine, 80 acres; Abner
Jurey, 80 acres; Lewis Jurey, 200 acres; John
Jurey, 80 acres; Jacob King, 365 acres; Dennis
Leninger, 52 acres; Isaac Longwell, 157 acres;
George and James H. Moore, 320 acres; John
McElvain, 805 acres; Neil & Neiswanger, 840 acres;
Carson Porter, 80 acres; Carson and Mary
Porter, 80 acres; Rodney Spalding 11 1/2 acres;
Thomas Salmon, 58 acres; Jacob Staley, 80 acres,
also a tannery; Solomon Sturges, 267 acrs; Gottlieb
Schellhorn, 160 acrs; Charles White, 130 acres; Daniel
Wilson, 160 acres; John W. Winslow, 49 acres; Benjamin
Welch, 240 acres; Samuel Winslow, 38 acres; Abigail
Winslow, 5 1/2 acres; Walter Woolsey, 108 acres; Daniel
Wright, 109 acres; Wilson, Butler & Baldwin, 641 acres;
James S. Reed, 40 acres.
TOWN OF WYANDOT
William Brown, Inlot
No. 14; Hiram Chapman, Inlots 8, 9, 1, 4, 7; Hannah French,
Inlot No. 13; David Miller, Inlot No. 5; State of Ohio,
Inlots 2, 3, 6, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 10, 11; H. H. Wheeler,
Inlot No. 15; Charles White, Inlot No. 20; Wayne Rood,
80 acrs; John A. Bibler, 80 acres; James S. Reed, 40
TOWN OF HALIFAX
State of Ohio, Inlots, 1 to
OWNERS OF PERSONAL PROPERTY.
Zira Alford, Frederick
Alford, William Anderson, Joseph L. Brooks, Thomas Blunder, Eli
Bricker, George Bricker, John Bricker, Samuel Burkhart, Joseph Bochtel,
Samuel Beals, Charles Beals, John Barger, Benjamin Cope, Hiram
Chapman, Jacob Coon, Thomas Comstock, Jacob Collins, James Corbin,
William Daily, David B. Drake, James Daughmer, James Eldridge, Noah
Ely, Noah French, Zuriel Fowler, James Fredregill, William Ford,
Samuel Gorman, John Gorman, Christian Hoover, William T. Howe, William
Howe, Benjamin Hite, Elizabeth Hite, Jacob Holderman, David Holderman,
Benjamin Hawk, John Leith, George Longwell, Lewis Longwell, Isaac
Longwell, John Mount, Jason Miller, Augustus W. Munson,*
Iram Porter, Samuel Reamy, Joseph Remington, Abner Jurey, John Jurey,
Lewis Jurey, Reuben Johns, Ambrose King, Alfred Keller, Jacob King,
Jacob Keller, John Kirby, Virgil Kirby, Samuel Kirby, Jacob Staley,
Abraham Smith, John Shepard, Orlando Shepard, John Schields, Jacob
Schellman, Asa Sherman, George I. Smith, David Wilson, Hezekiah
Woolsey, Elizabeth Winslow, Daniel Wright, Walter Woolsey, Robert
Wolverton, John Wilmoth, Benjamin S. Welch.
The early schools of
Antrim were conducted under very great difficulties, the neighbors
being far apart and the facilities meager. According to the best
information we are able to obtain, the first schools of the township
were held in a log cabin in the door-yard of Thomas Terry,
Ethan Terry being the first teacher. It is also stated that
schools were held in the dwellings of Messrs. Howe and
Longwell, and that Nathan Howe was, perhaps, the
first teacher. It is quite certain that the first schoolhouse was
erected in the village of Wyandot in 1827-28. It was, of course, a
cabin, and the first teacher who flourished the " rod of correction
and shot the young idea " within its walls was Thomas T. Thompson,
who subsequently taught in the mission schools. One Martin lays some
claim to the same honor, however. William Brown was the
third teacher in this educational institution. The schools of the
township at the present time are perhaps as well conducted as any in
the county, and their interests are as carefully guarded, most of the
schoolhouses being built of brick and well furnished.
As early as 1820 the people
of Wyandot and vicinity began to assemble occasionally for divine
worship. The first meetings were held in the old log schoolhouse in
the northeast part of the village, and these were continued with more
or less regularity till 1835, when an organization was effected. The
members were of the Methodist Episcopal persuasion and few in number,
William Brown and his wife Margaret being the only
members from the village. In 1838, the Methodist Episcopal Church
building was erected just south of the village, being the first
building of the kind erected in the township. It has since been
abandoned and is owned by H. M. Welsh, and will be converted
into a township hall. In 1858, the United Presbyterian denomination
erected a frame building, 40x60 feet in dimensions, and in 1884, this
was purchased by the Methodist Episcopal Church at a cost of $300. The
pastors who have labored in this field are Revs. Pilchard,
Blampede, Rogers, Feckley, Close, Bruce,
Neal, Barron and perhaps a few others. The present
incumbent is George Zeigler. The present Trustees are
Noah Bunnel, Jacob Ranch and James
Shaffer. The society now comprises seventy-four members. The most
important revival was conducted by Rev. Barron, in 1880,
resulting in about thirty members being added to the list. The
church has had many trials, but the outlook for the future is
promising, as the society is in good working order and now has the
advantage of a commodious and comfortable building.
Broken Sword Presbyterian Church.—This society was
organized in 1850, at the schoolhouse, which is located on the
southwest corner of Section 17; the first meeting having been held in
the same year at the same place under the supervision of Rev. Charles
Thayer. The society then comprised six members, namely: Sireno
Burke, Tirza Burke, Susan Burke,
Mrs. McBeth, Lemon Armstrong and Mrs.
Armstrong. In 1856, a church building was erected on the
southeast quarter of Section 8. It is a frame structure 26x36 feet,
and cost $1,000. It is now owned by the Methodist Episcopal society.
This beautiful and thriving
village bearing the above title was named from the State bearing the
same name and which was attracting considerable attention in the year
The town as originally laid out was situated in the
northwest fractional quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 4,
Range 15 east, and contained seventy-two lots, each 60x180 feet,
making an area of 10,800 square feet. Railway street is 100 feet wide;
Morrison street, or Main street, 80 feet wide; Ayres and Garrett
streets each 60 feet wide, and situated east and west of Morrison
street respectively. All the regular streets and alleys cross each
other at right angles, their bearing being 1° 30' east. The stone
which by law is required to be placed at the corner of one of the lots
is situated at the southwest corner of Lot 18, the original survey
having been made by J. H Williams, October 14, 1852.
The additions made to the area included in the original
plat, with the names of the persons who made them are as follows:
William Welch's addition, twenty-four lots, was made May
16, 1860; William F. Goodbread, twenty lots, January 12, 1863;
J. L. Cook, twenty-five lots, March 28, 1863; Goodbread,
Welch & Dombaugh, seventy-one inlots, four out-lots, February 26,
1866; Joseph Braun, four lots, April 20, 1866; Robert
Dixon, sixteen lots, March 11, 1864; George I. Miller,
sixteen lots, and two outlots, September 18, 1865; William
Balliet, twenty-one lots and four out-lots, April 13, 1866; W.
S. Gregg, ten lots, June 21, 1876; William Petrey,
four lots, February 26, 1877; William Welch's second
addition, fifteen lots, July 3, 1879; James McLaughlin,
twenty lots, 18—; H. D. Keller, six lots, October 8, 1881; and
J. L. Cook's Second Addition, thirteen lots, December 2, 1881.
The founders of Nevada were Jonathan Ayres
and George Garrett. The land on which it is located was
purchased of the Government by William McKibben, of
Ashland County, Ohio, and was purchased of him by Messrs.
Ayres and Garrett, who laid out the town, consisting of
seventy-two lots, in October, 1852. Garrett was of
mixed blood—Indian and white.
Jonathan Ayres is a son of Dr. Isaac
and Eliza (Coulter) Ayres, and was born in Beaver County, Penn.,
March 12, 1822. He removed with his parents to Richland County, Ohio,
where he grew to manhood. In 1846, he moved to Upper Sandusky, and has
been a resident of that city most of the time since. In 1854, he
engaged in the dry goods business and continued in this trade ten
years. Being a member of the Ohio National Guards, he was called into
service in 1864, and was made Adjutant of the One Hundred and
Forty-fourth Regiment, participating in the battle of Monocacy
Junction, and also an engagement with Mosby's Cavalry, the
regiment under his command doing gallant service in the latter action.
He was discharged as Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 1866, and is now a
resident of "Upper Sandusky. He was married in 1856, to Miss
Jennie Harris, of Detroit, Mich., a daughter of Norman
and Lucy Harris. Mr. Ayres' father, Isaac Ayres, was
born in York County, Penn., in September, 1782.
When the site for Nevada was first chosen by its
founders, the future for the town was not promising, or at least not
brilliantly so. The site had the advantages of an elevated location
and the proper distance from county seats; but this was the most that
could be claimed for it. The land at that point was at that time
covered by a dense growth of timber, and the contrast in surroundings
between the future Nevada and the sleepy, old village of "Wyandot,
which was henceforth to be considered a rival, was strongly in favor
of the latter town. But the embryo Nevada had within it the " elements
of- greatness," and with the Pittsburgh Railroad to strengthen its
spine, and the rich farming country both north and south to supply it
with the proper commercial nourishment, its success was soon placed
beyond question. The woods were rapidly cleared away, the mercantile
establishments began with a vitality that was unquestioned, and the
point was settled Nevada was to be a town and have a history.
"When the survey for the
original plat of Nevada was made, the only houses standing within its
limits were the dwellings of Lair Miller, James
McLaughlin and Samuel Ellison. Mr.
Miller's residence was built about 1846-47; Mr.
McLaughlin's in 1850, and Mr. Ellison's in the same year in which
the town was laid out, 1852. After that date building proceeded quite
rapidly as the success of the village was soon a pronounced certainty.
William McJunkins has the honor of being
Nevada's pioneer merchant. He erected the first storeroom in the place
in 1853. It was a frame structure of considerable dimensions and was
well filled with a stock of general merchandise valued at not less
than $2,000. Mr. McJunkins was Postmaster and railroad
agent at the same time and did a good business, continuing in the
place several years. William Fredregill had previously
erected a small frame building 18x26 feet, and did a small grocery
business in front and a large saloon business behind. The building
which he occupied is now used by William Nye as a
dwelling. The McJunkins building was destroyed by fire
The second store-room was built by Jonathan
Ayres who sold the same to J. L. Cook and William
F. Goodbread. It was also a frame structure 20x40 feet and is
still standing near where it was first erected—on Main street, east
side, south of the railroad—used for a general storage room. The store
was opened by the firm of Cook & Goodbread with a stock
of $4,000 to $5,000 and an extensive and profitable business was
conducted by this firm for about three and one-half years when they
sold out to William Balliet. Their stock consisted of
general merchandise and in connection with this branch of their
business they erected the first stock scales in the town and did an
extensive business in the purchase and sale of all kinds of grain,
live stock, etc. Messrs. Cook & Goodbread may also be
considered pioneer merchants of Nevada. For complete sketches of their
respective lives the reader is referred to the biographical notices
given in connection with the history of this township in succeeding
The third store of the village was established by S. S. Miller,
who died a few years afterward and his stock of $2,000 in general
merchandise was sold out at auction. From this time the mercantile
interests went strongly forward till at the present date (1884) Nevada
is second to but few "country" towns in Central Ohio, being provided
with numerous stores, a substantial bank, good schools and churches,
shops, mills and factories.
One of the foremost stores of
Nevada at the present date is that of Cook & Morris, Main
street, east side, north of railroad. It was first established in 1865
by J. S. Leith & Co., who, after conducting it about two years,
sold out to the Elliott Brothers, who again disposed of
it to Hall & Cook in 1879. Two years later Mr. Hall
sold his interest to Mr. Cook who conducted the business one
year alone, then admitting W. H Cook, the firm afterward
operating two years as J. L. & W. H. Cook. The establishment
was then consolidated with that of George Benedict,
making three departments, dry goods and notions, boots, shoes and
clothing, and groceries and provisions. One year after this change,
De Jean purchased Benedict's interest and the business was
conducted two years under the firm name of Cook, De Jean &
Co. W. H. Cook subsequently withdrew and the firm of Cook & De
Jean continued the trade till July 1, 1881, when S. Cook
purchased De Jean's interest and the firm became J. L. & S.
Cook, doing business as such till January 1, 1883, when R. E.
Morris purchased S. Cook's interest and the present firm of
Cook & Morris was established. They carry a stock of dry goods,
notions, carpets, boots and shoes valued at about $7,000 and do a
large business. J. L. Cook the senior partner of the firm has
been identified with the mercantile interests of the town for about
Goodbread & Son, druggists of considerable
prominence, are located on the west side of Main street, north of
railroad. The establishment was first opened as a branch store by
Joseph A. Maxwell, of Upper Sandusky, with Lewis Nichols
as salesman. Mr. Nichols afterward purchased the stock,
and still later consolidated his store with that of Dr.
Jones, the firm doing business for some time under the title of
Nichols & Jones. In 1871, Mr. Goodbread purchased
Mr. Nichols' interest, and the business was conducted till
1879 by Goodbread & Jones, J. N. Goodbread purchasing Mr.
Jones' interest at that date. The firm has since been known as
Goodbread & Son. They carry a full stock of goods of all kinds
peculiar to the trade, and do a large and profitable business
William F. Goodbread, as will be seen by the preceding pages, was
one of the pioneer merchants of the town, and has always been more or
less prominently identified with its business interest.
D. B. Wolf established himself in his present
business at his present place in September, 1872. He occupies the
storeroom originally used by Cook & Goodbread in 1853. It is
located just south of railroad, east side of Main street, and was sold
by the last-named firm to G. W. Balliet, Mr. Goodbread
becoming a partner of Mr. Balliet one year later. The next
change was effected by Mr. Goodbread purchasing the whole
stock. He was succeeded by Dumbaugh & Huffman, and they
by H. H Welsh, who admitted D. B. Wolf, as stated above.
The firm was known as Welsh & Co. till 1877, when Mr.
Wolf purchased Welsh's interest, since which time he has
conducted the business independently. His stock is estimated at about
$4,000, and he enjoys a fine trade. His line is dry goods, notions,
groceries, boots, shoes and queensware.
C. Pfisterer, the only merchant tailor of
Nevada, first began business in the town in April, 1869. He opened up
an establishment in a frame building which occupied the site of the
present storeroom of Cook & Morris. In 1876, he removed
to the building now occupied by D. B. Wolf, and in 1879 to his
present place of business, the Pease building. Mr. Pfisterer
has always been sole proprietor of his establishment. He carries
the largest stock of cloths and cassimeres in the county, and does a
large business. His stock of ready-made clothing is also quite
complete, the whole valued at $5,000.
Stewart & Hall, prominent hardware dealers, are
located on Main street, east side, just north of railroad. The
original firm was known as Stewart & Wallace, and
was founded in 1869, in the staves and heading and hardware business,
at Edenville. In 1882, Mr. Hall purchased Wallace's
hardware, and the firm has since been known as Stewart & Hall.
They carry a stock valued at $10,000, and do an immense business,
their annual sales estimated at $30,000 per year. Their present
storeroom is 20x186 feet, and is well filled with a well-selected
stock of hardware, tinware, agricultural implements, etc. The building
was erected by M. R. Hull in 1876-77, and was purchased by
Stewart & Wallace in the spring of 1878, Mr. Hull
having made an assignment.
E. R. Williams, a popular druggist of Nevada, became
identified with the business interests of the place in 1882. The store
was first put in operation in 1879 by R. M. Stewart, J. A. Stewart
and William B. Woolsey, who conducted the
establishment under the firm name of Stewart & Co. until the
sale of J. A. Stewart's interest, after which the firm was
known as R. M. Stewart & Co. till September, 1882, when the
stock was purchased by A. N. Williams & Son. The death of the
father in September, 1883, left the stock in-the hands of the son,
E. R. Williams, who now has charge of the business. His stock is
complete, consisting of a full line of fine drugs, patent medicines,
books, wall-paper, paints, oils, varnishes, etc., and his business is
carefully managed. His store is located on Main street, east side,
north of the railroad.
W. M. Maskey, grocer. This firm began business
in 1881, as Morris & Maskey, the latter member of the firm
having purchased the interest of J. W. Morris, of the firm of
Morris & Son, who established the business in 1880. He now
carries a stock valued at $1,500 to $2,000, and has a fine trade,
located one door north of Cook & Morris' dry goods store.
Gregg & Co. This firm was established
in 1877, the members being G. W. Gregg and Andrew
Flickinger. Their stock consisted of clothing, hats, caps, boots,
shoes and gent's furnishing goods. April 1, 1884, William Scott
purchased the stock, and soon after turned the clothing over to the
Cook Bros., who are now doing business in a brick building
opposite the Kerr House, purchased of W. Myers.
T, P. Miller,
groceries and provisions. Mr. Miller began business on
the corner of Morrison (Main) and Center streets in 1879. In April,
1884, he purchased and moved into his present building, a few doors
north of the old establishment. The building he now occupies was built
by Perry Hopp in 1868-69, and is a two-story frame
structure, 18x45 feet in dimensions. He carries a stock valued at
$1,000 to $1,200, and enjoys a fair trade.
B. Hopp, dealer in
furniture, and undertaker. The firm was first known as Hopp &
Benedict, their stock of furniture being purchased of William
Windish in 1873. The stock was burned May 15, 1875, and Mr.
Hopp revived the business soon after, and has since conducted
it. He established the first undertaking in the town, and does a
thriving business. His new store-room is large and comfortable, brick,
with two stories and a cellar.
B. B. Myers & Co.,
hardware, stove and tinware merchants. The firm was established in
1875 as S. Myers & Son. In 1879, B. B. Myers purchased
his father's interest, and has since been sole proprietor. He occupies
two rooms, each 20x60 feet, located just south of railroad, on west
side of Main street. . His new brick building was erected in 1883. He
carries a full line of shelf hardware, stoves, tinware and
agricultural implements, and enjoys a flourishing trade.
J. Koerber & Co. This firm
began business in Nevada February 7,1883, operating on a cash system
from the start. The store is located on Morrison (Main) street, in the
Balliet room, twenty by ninety feet in dimension. The stock is
valued at $8,000, and is well selected, consisting of dry goods,
notions, groceries, etc. The firm is doing an excellent business, and
thus proving beyond question both the possibility and feasibility of
the cash system.
A. N. Sawyer, furniture
and undertaking, Main street. This establishment was opened up in
July, 1882, in a new frame building, 18x60 feet, erected in the same
year at a cost of $1,000. The building was erected by T. D. Keller,
and purchased by Mr. Sawyer a few months later. He
carries a stock of goods valued at $800 to $1,000, and does a fair
Franklin James established
himself in the grocery and provision business in December, 1879, at
the place known as Williams' Corner, and in the old building
erected by S. P. Shaw about 1864. He carries a stock of
groceries, provisions and notions, valued at $1,500, and enjoys a fair
groceries, confectionery and bar. This establishment began business in
1879, in a frame building, which was destroyed by fire February
12,1883. The present brick building occupies the same site, and was
erected immediately after the destruction of the frame structure.
Mr. Balliet was first engaged seven years in the hardware
business; the same length of time in the livery business, and has been
engaged five years in his present vocation. He has a flourishing
E. R. Irner, bakery,
confectionery and provisions. Mr. Inner began business in Nevada in
November, 1875, in partnership with Philip Ruhlman. They
purchased their stock of groceries of John Good, and continued their
partnership till January, 1876, when Mr. Irmer purchased
his partner's interest, since which time he has conducted the business
alone. He owns and occupies a brick building 21x75 feet, situated on
Main street, second door north of railroad, east side, and has an
W. P. Morris has the only jewelry shop and store
in town. He has been engaged at the trade several years, but put in
his stock in January, 1884. He carries a small but well-selected stock
of goods, and does a fair business. He does all kinds of jewelers'
work—engraving, clock and watch repairing, etc., and is located at
present in the post office building.
J. M. Klingler conducts an
old-fashioned shoe-shop on South Main street. He began work in 1860,
and for many years did a thriving business. The extensive use of
factory goods has of late reduced the demand for homemade work. He
makes all kinds of coarse and fine boots and shoes, and does mending
neatly and promptly. He is one of the oldest bench workmen in the
E. Lidle, manufacturer of
and dealer in harness, saddles, etc., west side Main street, north of
Commercial Hotel. Mr. Lidle began business in Nevada in
1867, and has built up a large and lucrative trade. He is the owner of
his building, a two-story brick, 20x80 feet, and has the leading
harness emporium of the city. He keeps a full stock of harness,
saddles, trunks, valises and furnishing goods, and enjoys a liberal
patronage. He learned his trade in Germany.
L. Wilson, saddler and
harness manufacturer, is located on east side of Main street, one door
north of Sawyer's furniture store. He began business in Nevada
in 1873, moving to his present room in 1882. His stock—all his own
work—is valued at $600. He is an excellent workman and deserves a
Mrs. S. M. Wilcox
established her millinery business in Nevada in 1871. In 1874, she
erected her present business room, brick, 20x25 feet, located on Main
street, east side, south of railroad, where she keeps a full line of
millinery goods valued at about $1,000. She enjoys a good trade.
Mrs. Marie Steiner
conducts a millinery business on Main street, east side, north of the
new livery. She keeps a well-selected stock and is well patronized.
A. G. Carr, proprietor of
livery and feed stable, began operations in January, 1884 He occupies
the new barn erected by James Welch in 1882. It is a
line building 38x90 feet, with neat office, and cost about $2,000,
including lot, wind pump, etc. The stock owned by A. G. Carr is
valued at $2,800. It is the only livery of the village and does a good
business. The first livery was established by Cart, Hoxten,
of Marion. He sold out two years later. A. N. Sawyer next
started the enterprise in 1867, and in 1868, erected the first livery
barn in the place. He sold out three years later to Balliet
& Welch and established a second stable, conducting the
business up to 1882, two years excepted. The Balliet firm
continued with various changes till 1875. A third stable was
subsequently erected by Benjamin Balliet, and four livery barns
of Nevada have been destroyed by fire; one in 1875, one in 1877 and
two in 1883.
Myers & Lidle are now
the proprietors of the Nevada meat market. The business was
established in 1863. In 1869, Mr. Myers opened a shop in
partnership with V. O. Tuttle, which connection existed till
1871, when the firm became Myers & Son. One year later Mr.
Keltner was admitted to the firm, which was known afterward as
Myers & Keltner till the spring of 1884, when E. Lidle
purchased a half interest in the business, since which time the firm
has been known as Myers & Lidle. They have the only shop in
town and do a good business.
The Commercial Hotel was
built by B. Hopp in 1862. It is located just north of the
railroad, on Main street, west side, the main building being 36x40
feet with a kitchen 30x30 feet in the rear. The house is a frame
structure, two stories, with a roofed balcony, and contains eighteen
rooms. Thomas J. Hinkle was the first landlord and he was
succeeded by Mr. De Jean, to whom he sold the property.
Jesse Ritz purchased the house of De Jean and subsequently
sold it to Robert Kerr, who disposed of it to William
Montee in 1879, who in 1884 disposed of the property and took
charge of the Kerr House.
The Kerr House at Nevada, was erected by Robert Kerr in
1882, at a cost, when furnished, of $18,000. It is a fine brick
structure, containing twenty-five good rooms, well lighted and
ventilated. The building was opened for business in 1883, under the
management of H S. Slough, who in 1884 gave way to William
Montee. It is by far the finest hotel property in the county,
and, with the present efficient management, will have an excellent
patronage. The house is well furnished, is in a desirable location—one
door north of post office, west side Main street—and will be a lasting
testimonial of the enterprise of its founder. Besides the spacious
parlors and elegant sleeping apartments, the house is also provided
with an excellent bathroom for the accommodation of its guests.
MILLS AND OTHER INDUSTRIES.
Nevada Grist Mill.—The
first and only grist mill of Nevada was erected by a stock company in
1861, H. W. Williams being the principal stockholder, chief
instigator and millwright. The other members of the company were W.
F. Goodbread, J. L. Cook, James McLaughlin and Samuel
Junck. The cost of the institution was about $10,500. Two run of
buhrs were at first used, two more being subsequently added, making
the capacity of the mill 100 barrels per day. In 1884, under the
management of L. G. Russell, who is present owner of the
mill, the roller system was introduced, and the capacity is now 125
barrels per day. In 1864, the mill was purchased by Williams &
Gregg, and in 1866, Mr. T. Daily purchased
Mr. Gregg's interest, the firm being known as Williams &
Daily, until 1866. In the latter year Mr. A. B. Benedict
purchased Mr. Williams' interest, and this firm existed till
1872, when the property became the possession of Messrs.
Daily, Russell & Williams. In 1883, the interests of the
other members of the firm were purchased by Mr. L. G. Russell,
who is now sole proprietor.
Planing Mill, Door and Sash Factory.—The first planing mill
established in Nevada was built in 1863. It, like the grist mill
referred to above, was erected by a stock company—capital, $6,000. The
original stockholders were Homer and Nelson King,
who put in a patent bee-hive at a larger figure, James
Anderson, C. P. Hopp and R. Dixon. The company was
organized for the purpose of manufacturing the patent bee-hive
referred to, and was denominated the American Bee-hive Company. A saw
mill was subsequently added, and for some time quite an extensive
business was done, though during the whole existence of the
institution the enterprise at intervals languished and the stock
depreciated. By degrees the shares were sold out, and J. L. Cook
became the chief stockholder, and afterward sold his interest to G.
W. Leith. The establishment was next purchased by A.
Lance, and while in his possession was destroyed by fire in 1872.
In the same year, S. Beaver purchased the lot made vacant by
the destruction of fire, and erected his present mill and factory. For
the first nine months the firm was known as Beaver & Tucker,
the latter owning a one-third interest. In 1878, a saw mill was added
and has since been continued. The establishment does an extensive
business both in the sawing of lumber and the manufacture of doors,
sash, window-frames, store-fronts, etc. The main building is 58x65
feet, with iron roof: the office and storage room, 20x70 feet, and the
blacksmith and storage room is 26x40 feet—all two stories. The total
value of buildings and machinery is about $6,000. Five to ten workmen
are usually employed, and the mill was formerly operated day and
Brick and Tile Factory. —This industry
was begun in 1873 by the present proprietor, John Russell.
He first began the manufacture of brick only, and continued this about
five years, bringing the horse-power machine into general use. In
1878, he began the manufacture of tile of various diameters, and has
conducted the business on an extensive and gradually increasing scale
since that date. He employs from eight to sixteen workmen during the
Blacksmith Shops.—McDermot &
Schwartzkopf represent this interest in a very able manner, their
shop being located just north of the Advent Church, Main street. The
business was begun by McDermot in 1879, and Schwartzkopf
was admitted as a partner in 1881. They occupy a substantial brick
building, erected by them at a cost of $500, and do all kinds of
repairing, horse-shoeing, etc., neatly and promptly. Plow work is made
a specialty. Their annual receipts amount to about $2,000.
Henry G. Lea began work at blacksmithing when quite
young, and also spent some time at the jeweler's trade. He began the
former work in Nevada in 1863, and has since engaged in that vocation.
He does all kinds of repairing peculiar to the trade, his work giving
Carriage and Wagon Works.—J. F. Knapp
is now the only representative of this industry in Nevada. He erected
his shop, a frame building, two-stories, 26x46 feet, in 1866, and has
since been engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of wagons,
carriages, buggies, etc. He also does general repairing, having the
entire trade of the vicinity in that line. He formerly did a
profitable business in manufacturing, but of late years his trade has
been crippled by the extensive use of factory work. His building cost
A similar enterprise was established by John
Harter in 1866, and after ten or twelve years operation was sold
to George Schwartzkopf, soon after which it was
destroyed by fire. It was located south of the railroad, east side
Nevada Elevator.—This enterprise was
established by William F. Goodbread, Henry Welsh and others—a
joint stock company—who erected the building in 1873, and in 1874 sold
the same to S. H. Hunt, of Upper Sandusky. The building
is a substantial frame structure with a receiving capacity of 3,000
bushels per day, and a storage capacity of 20,000 bushels. After a
successful operation for some time, Mr. Hunt sold the
elevator to William Blair and O. C. Ewart, who
subsequently sold it to the present owners.
Nevada Hook and Ladder Company.—This
protective institution was organized April 8, 1872, the following
officers being elected at that date: J. A. Brown, Foreman;
F. Mollenkopf, Assistant Foreman; J. N. Goodbread,
Secretary; D. E. Jefferson, Treasurer; O. S. Campbell,
William Price and Stephen Kerr, Trustees. The
company began operations with an outfit consisting of a chemical
engine, hook and ladder trucks and fifty rubber buckets; but the
engine was discarded in 1876, and has not since been in use. The
company has been engaged in several important fires at home, and has
done excellent work. It is also well known throughout this section of
the State as a sporting company, having taken part in many of the
tournaments, and in each instance carried off a fair share of the
honors. In 1878, it won the second prize at the Bucyrus Tournameat
against the Norwalk Company, which holds the championship of the
United States. The company has also participated in many other
contests of the same nature, and has acquired a State reputation for
its skill and fleetness. The original number of members was about
fifteen, but has now reached sixty, including retired members. The
present offcers are as follows: J. A. Brown, Foreman; Levi
Wilson, Assistant Foreman; W. A. Wolf, Secretary; W.
M. Maskey, Treasurer; E. R. Irmer, George
Schwartzkopf and A. Cronice, Trustees.
Weaving Loom.—James Anderson
is now the sole representative of this craft in Nevada. Although
owning a good farm, he spends considerable time in carpet weaving, at
which business he is quite an expert. He operates one of the
old-fashioned looms, which is almost a curiosity to the present
generation. The shuttle slides through and then slides back,
followed up by the " bumper'' che-whack, che-whack; and ere one has
woven a twenty-pound pack he is weak in the knees and lame in the
Nevada Deposit Bank.—This institution was
incorporated April 10, 1873, with W. L. Blair, President, W.
F. Goodbread, Vice President, and J. K. Agnew, Cashier; and
began business May 5,1873, with a capital stock of $52,000. At its
organization the principal stockholders were Robert Kerr and
W. L. Blair, whose shares numbered 200 and 120 respectively. Other
stockholders were G. W. Leith, W. F. Goodbread, J. L. Cook,
Benjamin Ulrich, C. W. Burke, J. N. Goodbread, Michael
Lambright, J. H. Hershberger, J. S. Leith, G. W. Balliet, and
J. K. Agnew, with shares ranging in numbers from two to eighty.
Soon after beginning operations, the stock of the
lesser holders began to be bought in by the principals, and on
September 2. 1878, the entire stock was represented by Robert Kerr,
W. L. Blair and O. C. Ewart, who still conduct the
business. In February, 1878, the charter under which the bank was
established, according to the State law, was surrendered, and the
corporation was re-organized into a co-partnership represented mainly
by the above firm, and on this plan the business has since been
carried forward. The bank was first opened in the "old bank building"
east side of Main street, south of the railroad, but, in 1879, was
removed to the new brick bank building which was erected in 1878-79,
and which is the finest structure used for the purpose in the county.
It is regarded as one of the most substantial institutions of the kind
in this section of the State; it is strongly secured by real estate;
is well managed; does an excellent business, and has the entire
confidence of the public. The present officers are W. L. Blair,
President; Robert Kerr, Vice President; O. C. Ewart, Cashier; and
J. A. Williams, Assistant Cashier.
Church.—The first meeting of this society was held in a
schoolhouse one mile south of Nevada, Rev. A. B. Kirtland,
officiating. In the same year and at the same place by the same
minister, the church was organized with thirty members, David
Kreichbaum, Daniel Rex and James Gillam
being remembered as among the number. The first church building was
erected in April, 1859. It was a frame structure, and cost $1,175.
Rev. A. B. Kirtland was the first pastor, and he was succeeded in
1861 by Rev. Hammer. Rev. Hamilton was
engaged from 1862 to 1868; Rev. D. A. Kuhn from 1869 to
1877; Rev. H. Nodle, the present incumbent. There are now sixty
members in the society. The present officers are Conrad Lohr,
Samuel Bell, Mathias Maskey, Tilghman Balliet and Daniel
United Brethren Church.—The few
original members of this organization held their first meeting in
James McLaughlin's barn in May, 1857, Rev. Tabler
officiating on that occasion. In 1860, an organization was effected
through the efforts of Rev. D. W. Downey, the meeting being
held for that purpose in Clave's hall. Twenty-eight members
were listed at that time, James Hilborne acting as
leader and Samuel Miller as Class Steward. In 1875, the
society erected their first and present church building on an out-lot
of Cook's Addition to Nevada. It is a frame structure of 50x35
feet in dimensions, and was dedicated by Bishop J. Weaver. The
cost of the building was $700. Rev. J. Paul was engaged on this work
one year; Rev. J. P. Lea, two years; Rev. W. Nevill, one
year; Rev. Easterbrook, one year; Rev. W. R. Leaword,
one year, and Rev. George Bender to the present time. The
present officers are J. Burnside, George Rinehart,
Isaac Kemp and H. G. Lea, Trustees; H. G. Lea,
leader, and Mrs. M. Fraize, Class Steward. The society
now numbers ten members.
Methodist Episcopal Church. —As early as
1859, meetings were held by this society one-half mile north of
Nevada, where perhaps the organization was effected. In 1867, they
erected their present church building, which is a brick structure
40x70 feet, and which cost $1,200. It is located on Lot No. 9,
McLaughlin's Addition, and is rather a fine building. The list of
pastors with the years they were engaged on this charge is as follows:
Rev. Jacob Monsinger, one year; James Albright,
one year; W. BL Painter, two years; B. A. Disney, two years:
D. M. Conant, two years; G. L. Hannawalt, two years; C.
H. Baldwin, two years; George A. Marshal, one year;
Charles Galimore, one year; C. M. Gay, one year;
Charles Crawford, one year. The present pastor is Rev.
George Zsigler. The society now numbers eighty-nine members. The
present officers are L. A. Pease; J. C. Rosegrant, W. A. White,
Goodwin Hall and J. E. Funk.
society was organized by Rev. J. P. Loyd, Rev. George Graham
and Mr. John Black at the residence of James
Anderson April 26, 1859. The organization then consisted of ten
members, as follows: John Todd, Francis Todd,
James L. Armstrong, Jane Armstrong, Joshua Cook, Elizabeth Cook,
James Anderson, Elizabeth Anderson, Henry Aten and John
Aten. The society erected their present brick building which is
30x110 feet in 1876, at a cost of $4,000. Rev. Thomas
Wallace was first placed in this charge, and served about two
years; Rev. J. P. Lower, eighteen months; Rev. S. A.
Hummer, eighteen months; Rev. S. Cook, five years; Rev.
R. J. Laughlin, one year; Rev. Matur (?), one year;
Rev. O. C. Colmerry, one year. The present church officers are
James Anderson, Joshua Cook and W. H. Gay, Ruling Elders;
Henry Aten, W. H Cook and J. Gillam, Trustees. The society
has Sabbath school in operation, which is in a flourishing condition.
Advent Christian Church.—This
church was organized February 18,1867, in the early part of the winter
of which year Elder Jonas Wendell, of Pennsylvania, and
Elder D. R. Mansfield and wife, of Michigan, came to Nevada and
conducted a series of meetings in the Lutheran Church building, as a
result of which there was an extensive revival, and the above-named
ministers assisted by Elder King effected an
organization. Elder King was the prime mover in securing
the services of the clergyman referred to, and had prepared the field
for their effective work by having previously promulgated the
doctrines of the Advent denomination to quite an extent throughout the
vicinity. By his influence and that of others the services of the able
Dr. G. W. Stetson, as pastor, were subsequently secured.
Prominent among the original members were H. A. King, Henry Welty,
Martin Bacon, Catharine McJuncken, Rebecca McJuncken, Martha
Young, Cornelius McLaughlin, Benjamin Hopp* C. P. Hopp, Mary A.
Hopp, R. M. Stewart, Truman Daily, George Benedict and
Andrew Benedict. The first and present church building was
erected in 1869, and was dedicated in October of the same year. The
edifice is made of brick, and cost when completed and furnished
$11,-000. It is located within Antrim Township on lots two and three,
of Petrey's Addition, and is 40x70 feet in size. Elder H. G.
McCulloch was the first pastor engaged and remained with the
church about one year; his brother, Elder Eusebius
McCulloch was next called and was retained eleven years; Elder
J. W. Hobbs, of New York began his pastorate November 20, 1881,
and has continued to the present time (1884). The church has suffered
some by the removal of many of its members to other parts of the
country. During the pastorate of Elder E. McCulloch, Elder Miles
Grant, a prominent Adventist Evangelist, of Boston, Mass., came to
Nevada and assisted in a series of meetings in which the church
experienced quite a revival.
In 1883, the ladies of the church organized a "home
mission society" with the following officers: Mrs. W. J.
Hobbs, President; Mrs. Charles Young, Vice President;
Mrs. John Russell, Secretary; Mrs.
Joseph Sponhauer (?), Treasurer. The church building has
recently been provided with a bell and refurnished. The present
officers of the society are Dr. R. M. Stewart,
Benjamin Hopp, Truman Daily, William
Snyder and Hiram Young, Trustees; John
Russell and Cornelius McLaughlin, Deacons. A Sabbath school
is kept up with considerable interest by the society, and is now in a
prosperous condition, John Russell, Superintendent. The
organization has always received liberal aid from those citizens of
Nevada who are not members of any denomination.
EDEN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION.
This company came into
existence November 19, 1868, the original members being John
Markley, John Kisor, Josiah Andreas, David Balliet, Tilman
Balliet and Cyrus McCauly. At the time of the organization,
John Kisor, Josiah Andreas and John
Markley were elected Trustees, David Balliet, Treasurer,
and Tilman Balliet, Clerk. The association purchased a
tract of three acres one mile north of Nevada, at a cost of $600,
exclusive of the expense of grading and fencing, and at once proceeded
to lay off the ground in burial lots, selling the same to those who
were able to purchase, and donating to those who were not. The grounds
are kept in good condition, and the location is decidedly pleasant The
first remains deposited therein were those of Elizabeth
Balliet, who died September 8, 1866. Since that time this city of
the dead has made many accessions to its numbers. The
association has been reduced by deaths, removals, etc., to two
members—Cyrus McCauly and T. Balliet; the former is
Treasurer, and the latter Secretary.
For some time after the town
of Nevada had been surveyed, the school-going population was so small
as to render a special sub-district inexpedient, and during this time
the youth of the new village were compelled to " plod their weary way"
to the district school one mile south of town. By the year 1863,
however, the village had assumed metropolitan airs to such a degree as
to render a village schoolhouse necessary, schools having been
conducted for about three years previous in a town hall which was
situated on Lot No. 20. The Nevada subdistrict was created in 1860,
and the "special district" according to law in 1866. The first
building was erected in the northeast part of town at a cost of $590.
It was a frame structure, and was in constant use up to the time of
the completion of the new brick building in 1876. The old edifice was
but one story in height, and contained two rooms, these being
inadequate to accommodate the large and increasing number of pupils
for some time before the new building was erected.
April 5, 1875, it was voted by the people of Nevada to
raise by tax $8,000 for the erection of a new schoolhouse according to
plans and specifications which were duly set forth; but this amount
being insufficient to complete the edifice, a tax of $4,000 more was
voted April 29, 1876. In the same year the work was completed, and the
pupils systematically disposed in their new quarters, the total cost
of the new building amounting to $14,500. It is one of the neatest and
most convenient school buildings in this section of the State, and is
the best evidence of the intelligence, culture and enterprise of the
people of Nevada that could possibly be given. It contains six regular
school rooms, besides the Superintendent's office and class room and
basement It is heated by the Theobald steam heater, manufactured at
Canton, Ohio. The class rooms are well furnished, and the whole
structure, interior and exterior, bears the marks of good taste and
judgment in its construction.
The Superintendents or high school teachers who have
had charge of the schools since the erection of the frame building in
1863, are as follows: J. L. Cook, Charles Williams, Emily Servis,
Julia Moe, Mrs. L. Dumbaugh, Mollie Forbes, Mr. Nye, W. E.
Crabbs, W. F. Car, Mr. Dwire, M. E. Stearnes and D. E. Niver.
The schools are in excellent condition, and are managed by an
efficient corps of teachers, headed by an able Superintendent, Mr.
Niver, as mentioned above. The total number of pupils is about
290. The subordinate teachers are: I. C. Ginther, A Grammar
Department; Mary Colby, B Grammar; Ida McDermot,
Intermediate; Ida Peas, A Primary; Miss M. A. Barr, B
F. & A. M., Nevada
Lodge, 343.—The few members of the Masonic fraternity in the
vicinity of Nevada congregated at the store of Cook &
Goodbread, where they conducted their preliminary meetings, which
were quite frequent; and by the untiring efforts of the worthy
brothers, John Tudhope, Benjamin Eaton, J. H. Crabbs, W. F.
Goodbread and others, jurisdiction from adjoining lodges
was obtained, and application was made to the Grand Lodge for a
charter, which was received May 12, A. L. 5862, A. D. 1862. The first
members under the dispensation were William B. Miller, John Tudhope,
William F. Goodbread, James H. Gillam, Edward G. Steiner, William
McJunkin, James S. Cummins, H. W. Williams, Peter Doty and
James H. Crabbs.
November 6, A. L. 5862, the Most Worthy Grand Master,
by his proxy, Brother M. Smith, by authority conferred by a
charter granted by the Grand Lodge of the State of Ohio at its annual
session held at the city of Columbus on the 21st day of October, A. L.
5862, proceeded to install the officers, assisted by Brother M. H.
Kirby as Deputy Grand Master, and Brother Sands as
Grand Marshal. The charter was then read by the order of the Grand
Master, whereupon the Grand Marshal proclaimed Nevada Lodge fully
organized and authorized to take rank and precedence as Nevada Lodge,
No. 343. And it was so. The names of the officers under the
dispensation were as follows: William B. Miller, W. M.; John
Tudhope, S. W.; William F. Goodbread, J. W.; Peter
Doty, Secretary; James S. Cummins, Treasurer; Ed. D.
Steiner, S. D.; James H. Crabbs, J. D.; James H. Gillam,
Tiler. The society has prospered since its organization, and now has a
membership of forty-six, with 11,200 in the treasury. The regular time
and place of meeting is the first Thursday on or before each full
moon, at Nevada. The present officers are Thaddeus B. Armstrong,
W. M.; George W. Gregg, S. W.; Joseph M. Wilcox, J. W.;
James N. Goodbread, Secretary; William F. Goodbread,
Treasurer; David B. Wolf, S. D.; John A. Ankrum, J. D.;
A. B. Stansell, Tiler.
I. O. O. F., Nevada Lodge, No. 625.—The
dispensation for this society was received from the Grand Lodge of the
State of Ohio June 2, 1876. The first members under the dispensation
were M. R. Hull, J. D. Rex, A. A. Harding, J. C.
Rosegrant and G. Hall. The officers installed under the
dispensation were M. R. Hull, N. G.; J. D. Rex, V. G.;
A. A. Harding, Secretary; J. C. Rosegrant, P. G.; G.
Hall, Treasurer. The order first held its meetings in the Hull
Block, but, after two years, removed to E. Lidle's
block, where their meetings are still conducted. The present
membership is twenty-five, and the financial condition is good. The
present officers are J. C. Rosegrant, N. G.; Benjamin
Hopp, Y. G.; Samuel Fisher; W. H. Gay.
Knights of Honor, Lodge 277.—The
dispensation granting a charter to this society was received from the
Grand Lodge April 7, 1876, the members under the dispensation being
A. J. Flaherty, H. F. Bemendefer, Samuel Bever, J. C.
DeJean, C. H. Denjer, J. N. Goodbread, B. F. Hopp,
C. P. Jones, Henry Kurtz, John Klingler, H. G. Lea, John McMahon,
C. Pfisterer, B. F. Smith, B. W. Nye, A. N. Sawyer, H. W. Williams, W.
B. Woolsey, H. H. Welsh and D. B. Wolf. At the
organization, H. W. Williams was installed as Dictator; H.
H. Welsh, V. D.; S. Bever, Assistant D.; A. J. Flaherty,
Chaplain; H. G. Lea, Guide; T. C. DeJean, Rep.; J. N.
Goodbread, F. R.; A. N. Sawyer, Treasurer; B. F.
Smith, Guardian; John Klingler, Sentry; B. W. Shay,
W. B. Woolsey and C. Pfisterer, Trustees; D. B. Wolf,
Post Dictator. The financial standing of the order is reported good;
the number of members is now twenty-five. The present officers are:
John Russell, Dictator; James McMahon, Vice
Dictator; H. G. Lea, Assistant Dictator; A. J. Gillam,
Chaplain; J. A. Brown, Rep; A. N. Sawyer, F. R.;
J. W. Goodbread, Treasurer; H. L. Snyder, Guide; W. B.
Woolsey, Guardian; A. Cromer, Sentry. The society
meets on Monday evening of each week, in I. O. O. F. Hall, Lidle
G. A. R., Leith Post, No. 127,
Department of Ohio.—This post was organized by Mustering
Officer Col. H. A. Brown, in 1881, the charter being received
from the headquarters Department of Ohio, August 24 of that year. The
charter members were J. K. Ankrum, J. A. Brown. Irvin
Bacon, R. B. Conant, T. C. DeJean, E. W.
Davis, G. W. Gregg, Daniel Good, John Hehr, M. N. Keltner, J. S. Leith,
T. P. Miller, R. C. Miller, William Montee, C. O. Oldfield,
John Russell, R. M. Stewart, B. F. Smith, J. A. Stewart,
A. N. Sawyer and Levi Wilson. At the organization of
the post, the members were commissioned as follows: J. A. Stewart,
P. C; J. A. Brown, S. V. C; J. S. Leith, J. V. C; John
Russell, Chaplain; Dr. R. M. Stewart, Surgeon; A. B.
Conant, Adjutant; T. P. Miller, Quartermaster; Levi
Wilson, O. D.; B. F. Smith, S. M.; J. A. Ankrum,
Q. M. S.; R. C. Miller, O. G. Since its organization, the post
has held its meetings in the I. O. O. F. Hall. The present membership
is forty-one, and the order is in good condition financially. The
present officers are: Orin Campbell, P. C; Wesley
Grubb, S. V. C.; Amos Miller, J. V. C; Rev. D. S.
Caldwell, Chaplain; Dr. R. M. Stewart; I. B. Kemp,
Q. M.; J. A. Ankrum, O. D.; Samuel Fisher, O. G.; J.
S. Leith, S. M.; Eli Maskey, Q. M. S.
At the spring election of
1866, the first town officers of Nevada were elected. W. R. DeJean
has the honor of being the first to occupy the Mayor's chair, and
Valentine Dombaugh was elected first Recorder. The original
Councilmen, as shown by the old records, were E. R. Welsh, William
McJunckins, John Tudhope, C. P. Hopp and C. F. Hoffman,
the sixth member being unrecorded. In the course of events, the
history of these officers has partially repeated itself, W. R.
DeJean being re elected to the Mayorship in the spring of 1884.
The present Recorder is R. E. Morris.
* A physician
ANTRIM BIOGRAPHIES >