OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

 

.

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883

 

CHAPTER I
PLEASANT TOWNSHIP
Pg. 371

     Pleasant Township was one of the original five into which Clermont County was divided at the first term of the Justices’ Court of General Quarter Sessions, Feb. 25, 1801.  The other four were Williamsburg, Ohio, Washington and O’Bannon.  The records do not reveal its original boundaries or extent, but it is certain that it included much more territory than it contains at present.  Washington Township seems to have intervened between it and the river, extending to the old Adams County line, and Lewis Township formed from the eastern end of Washington in 1807, included a part of what is now Pleasant.   By the successive formation of neighboring townships, Pleasant has been reduced to its present limits.  Its location is in the south central part of the county.  Lewis and Clark Townships bound it on the west, Scott and Franklin on the north, and Jefferson and Union on the east; the Ohio forms its southern boundary.  Its outlines are irregular.  The meandering waters of White Oak Creek encompass it on the west, and the greater part of its eastern line is marked by the channel of Straight Creek, which is straight only in name.  In size, it is third in the county.  Perry exceeds it considerably, and Lewis slightly.  Its area is 23,153 acres.  Topographically, it exhibits all the varieties of surface, from almost perfectly flat and level farms to the deepest and most precipitous gorges found in this region.  From the narrow valley that lines the Ohio, the hills rise to an altitude of several hundred feet, but break away within a few miles into rolling land, which, toward the northern part of the township, becomes level.  The little runs that drain the township into White Oak and Straight Creeks have cut their way through the limestone strata to a great depth, forming ravines so steep that they are scarcely approachable in places.  The soil is usually argillaceous.  Along the hills, the limestone, which enters into its composition, yields it the strength which makes it most excellent tobacco land.  On the ridges in the southern part of the township, it possesses great fertility, but becomes more shallow and less productive toward the north.  Ash, walnut, maple, sugar, linn and other varieties of timber grew luxuriantly in the southern portion, but toward the north, save in the bottom lands of the streams, the prevailing types were poplar, beech, hickory and oak.  Tobacco is extensively raised, and may be considered the leading crop, though corn and wheat are also produced in considerable quantity.  Much land in the northern part is used for hay and grass.

EARLY SETTLERS.

     Foremost among the pioneer settlers of Pleasant Township were the ELLISES.  By general assent, they are regarded as the first white men to make a permanent settlement in the township.  Five brothers - Samuel, James, Hezekiah, Jeremiah, and Nathan Ellis - in 1796, floated down the Ohio in a keelboat from Virginia, in quest of Western homes.  Nathan landed at the site of Aberdeen, and subsequently became its founder, and a prominent citizen.  Jeremiah and Hezekiah both settled on Eagle Creek, while James and Samuel continued down the river in the boat until they reached a point one and a half

Page 372 -
miles above the mouth of White Oak Creek.  Here they stopped and agreed to locate.  They retained possession of the boat, using it for a residence until they had erected log cabins.  The cabin of James was built farther down, within half a mile of the White Oak Creek bridge.  James here kept one of the earliest distilleries in the county.  He raised a family of children, but none of them or their posterity now live in that vicinity.  Samuel soon puchased purchased the land he settled on, and rose to opulence and prominence.  He was tall in stature, possessed a vigorous constitution and indomitable energy.  He died in his ninety-third year.  At his request, he was interred on the spot where he first pitched his tent on landing in the Northwest Territory in 1796, but so close was it to the shore of the river that subsequently it became necessary to remove the remains to another portion of the farm.  His children were James, Noah, Abram, Samuel, Matilda, Mary, Christina, India Ann, Nancy and Rebecca.
     WILLIAM LYON was among the noted pioneers of Pleasant Township.  He was born in Ireland, of Scotch-Irish parentage, his ancestors having settled in Ireland under Cromwell.  In early life, William left his well to-do parents and crossed the ocean.  So deeply was he attached to them, however, that he three times visited them across the briny deep.  He worked at a furnace in Philadelphia awhile, then wandered westward, and became a chain-carrier for Duncan McArthur in the surveys of Southwestern Ohio.  During this time, he made his home in Mason County, Ky.  From his earnings as surveyor he purchased several tracts of land, and spent a portion of his time on them.  He was married to Anna Brown, in Kentucky, several years prior to 1800, and immediately emigrated to his land in the southern part of this township.  He had made a little clearing and planted it in corn the spring previous, but, while away, Samuel Ellis’ cattle broke in and totally destroyed the crop.  While preparing the ground and planting the corn, he slept in a hollow log, returning to Kentucky once a week for provisions.  Mrs. Lyon possessed the characteristics of a true pioneer woman.  She was reared amidst the dangers of Indian warfare in Kentucky, and the training she received developed the qualities of self-reliance and energy in a high degree.  For a number of years after he came to this township, Lyon would boat his farm products to Cincinnati.  He was once detained longer than he had expected to be, when the harvest season was at hand.  The wheat ripened and must be reaped, but laborers would not work without money wages, and of this rare article Mrs. Lyon did not then possess a dollar.  Engaging hands, however, when the cutting could be delayed no longer, and her husband had not yet appeared, she promised that they should be paid, and, ripping open all her beds, she packed the feathers and conveyed them on horseback to Cincinnati, where she sold them and returned in time with the money.  Mr. Lyon was a genuine Irishman.  He inherited the relish of his countrymen for the flowing bowl, and in early life indulged freely, but afterward became a total abstainer.  He was whole-souled and generous-hearted, and, in consequence of bailing his neighbors and paying their debts, as he seemed destined almost invariably to do, his finances were often seriously embarrassed.  He possessed the art of coining wealth from his business enterprises, but it melted away under his liberality and the obligations he assumed for his acquaintances.  His old age was passed, however, in comfortable circumstances, and he died in 1837.  His wife survived him many years.  His family consisted of only two children - Mary and RobertMary left no posterity, but the descendants of Robert still till the soil of their pioneer ancestor.
     CAPT. DANIEL FEAGINS was noted not only for being among the earliest settlers in the county, but as well for his prowess as a hunter and Indian scout.  He was a native of Virginia, and served through the whole of the Revolutionary war as Captain.  About 1786, he emigrated from Loudoun County, Va., to

Page 373 -
Kentucky, descending the Ohio in a boat with several other families, and intending to proceed as far as Salt River.  On their way down, they landed at Limestone, now Maysville, Ky., and Capt. Feagins there met Simon Kenton, with whom he was acquainted in early life.  Kenton protested against their going farther down the river, declaring that it was almost certain the boat would be attacked by the Indians at a certain point farther down.  At his solicitation, Feagins landed, and moved his family and effects out to Kenton’s Station, near where Washington now is; the balance of the boat continued down the river, and, as Kenton had predicted, they were attacked by the savages, and all aboard massacred.  Feagins remained at Kenton’s Station several years, and located a large quantity of land in what is now Bracken County, Ky., but, by some mishap, he afterward lost nearly all of it.  In about 1796, he moved to within sight of what is now Georgetown, locating just south of the corporation, on the farm adjoining the fair grounds.  He had a family of nineteen children.  Several of them settled around him, among them Daniel, Fielding and Susan.  The last was the sixth child of this large and noted family, and was born May 25, 1780.  She was married, Apr. 20, 1803, to Edward Thompson, and lived near Georgetown.  Her death occurred in 1855.  Capt. Feagins, after opening his farm here, with his sons and their families moved to Paint Creek, in Fayette County, Ohio.  So accustomed had he be come to the perils and freedom of the extreme frontiersman’s life that he was only content when living remote from other human habitations, surrounded only by the wildnesses and solitude of the Virginia forests.  He died of “cold plague,” in July, 1815, while on a visit to his old home near Georgetown.  His wife, Violet, survived him many years, and lived to be a centenarian.  Daniel and Fielding, their eldest children, both settled near Georgetown.  While in Kentucky, they were trained in Indian warfare by Simon Kenton, and both participated in many of the expeditions against the savages; they served as spies on the river to watch the hostile movements of the red men in times of apprehended danger from attack.  While Fielding was once hunting deer with his brother-in-law, Absalom Craig, near Augusta, Ky., they were tired upon by a party of Indians, and Craig was killed just as he was stooping to drink from a spring of water.  Fielding, abandoning his horse and venison, with difficulty made his escape.  His hatred against the Indians was ever afterward bitter and intense.  The body of Craig was recovered, and found to be horribly mutilated.  While Fielding Feagins was living near Georgetown, two roving Indians made their appearance at his cabin and asked for food.  Fielding recognized on one of them the shot-pouch that Absalom Craig had worn when he was killed.  Instantly, the deep slumbering animosity against them was aroused to a high pitch, and, following them when they departed from the cabin, he raised his unerring rifle and shot one, instantly killing him.  The other Indian escaped.  This occurred on the west bank of White Oak, about a mile west from Georgetown, between the upper mill and the county infirmary.  Fielding buried his victim on the banks of the stream, and threw his rifle into the water.  He kept the matter a secret until after the flood of 1832, when the skeleton of the savage was washed out.  While on a visit to his sister, Mrs. Thompson, he narrated the circumstance.  The residence of Daniel Feagins, Jr., stood about where the Georgetown Presbyterian Church now is.  Capt. Feagins had obtained a patent for a large amount of land in the Lawson Survey, Feb. 23, 1807, and the following deeds are found, bearing subsequent dates, from himself and Violet, his wife: Mar. 27, 1807, 100 acres to William White; Sept. 24, 1807, to James Roney, Jr., and John Roney; Oct. 13, 1807, to Joseph Van Meter’s executors, 541 acres in the southeast corner of the Lawson Survey, “for and in consideration

Page 374 -
of the sum of five pepper corns to them the said Daniel Feagins and Violet, his wife, in hand paid;” May 30, 1808, to Allen Woods, 200 acres in the Lawson Survey, adjoining lands previously sold to John Roney; Oct. 17, 1808, also to Allen Woods, fifty acres in addition to his first purchase.  Robert Lawson’s Survey, No. 2,523, was entered on Military Warrant No. 1,921.
     In 1798, WALTER WALL settled on the Heath Survey of 1,000 acres in the south central part of the township.  He was from Western Pennsylvania, where he had been engaged in farming, but, for a few years prior to his emigration here, he had been occupied largely in trading and boating between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, it then being an incident of a farmer’s life to seek a market for his products.  He also operated a heavy distillery in Pennsylvania, and supplied Cincinnati with a fair share of its early popular beverage.  He descended the Ohio in a flat-boat, bringing with him his family, a few farm implements, a team and several cows, and landed at the mouth of Straight Creek.  Thence he followed an Indian trail northward to his purchase.  He had bought the entire Heath Survey, the southern half for himself, and the northern half for the heirs of his deceased brother.  They came years after and settled on it. Mr. Wall was accompanied here by two Yankees, names unknown, who were only sight-seeing in the then great West, and by John Davis, his brother-in-law, who settled just east of Wall’s place, and who was drowned a few years later in Kentucky.  The flat-boat that conveyed them down the Ohio was taken apart by Mr. Wall, hauled to his land and converted into a camp, which served them for shelter for a week or two, until his log cabin was completed.  His two New England acquaintances remained with him till he was safely domiciled in his new home, and then returned East.  Mr. Wall and his wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Applegate, reared a large family of children here, all of whom, except the eldest four, were born in this town ship.  Hester was married to George Vanemon, and removed to near Dayton, Ohio; Abigail remained at home; Sarah died in girlhood; James remained a resident of the farm until his death; Aseneth, the wife of James Young, went to Illinois; Daniel became a citizen of Clermont County; Mary was the wife of Henry Pierce, of this township; John resided in the northwest part of the county; Elizabeth, wife of John Pierce, resided in Clermont County; William still occupies, the old place; and Ann was the wife of Griffith Leming, of Clark Township.  Mr. Wall died about 1857, at the age of eighty-three years; his wife survived him several years.  In the rude, pioneer times, he was Justice of the Peace for many years.
     The elections of Pleasant Township were held for awhile at Mr. Wall’s house, but were discontinued there at the request of Mrs. Wall.  Certain citizens, it seems, were accustomed to take a good supply of whisky on the day of election to the house, and sell it to the voters there assembled.  As election day was regarded as a holiday, the consequence was that a large number of the citizens became so intoxicated that they were unable to get away at nightfall, and remained in a semi-conscious or totally unconscious state upon the premises.  The compassionate housewife was loath to leave them to the mercy of the elements without, and provided them with sleeping room in the cabin, but the discomfort arising from this became unbearable, and the elections were held elsewhere.
     JACOB BERRY and THOMAS BERRY, two brothers, were living on the Ohio, near the mouth of White Oak, prior to 1798.  They were of Irish descent, and born in Pennsylvania, powerful in physique, but without any considerable means.  Jacob Berry, in 1798, married Elizabeth Shick, the daughter of Lewis Shick, a German, who had settled just across the line of Pleasant in Scott Township, and he and his brother Thomas took a lease on Walter Wall’s

Page 375 -
land, where they remained about fifteen years.  At the expiration of the lease, Jacob purchased a farm near the northwest corner of the township, and spent the remainder of his life there.  He had a family of eleven children, the only survivor of whom is Samuel, the second child.  He lives on the old place, at the advanced age of eighty-one years.  Thomas Berry bought a farm, after he quit the Wall place, just north of Georgetown, but died there soon after.   A Mr. Crab had settled on the Jacob Berry place temporarily very early, built a cabin and made some little improvements, but he remained but a short time, and went nobody knows whither.
     In the history of Clark Township, by O. P. Ralston, mention is found of CHRISTIAN SMITH, a native of Holland, and a man educated for the Catholic priesthood but subsequently leaving the church, who is said to have came to the site of Georgetown in 1797 or 1798, with Feagins, Ayres, Roney and others, and located on land in the Robert Lawson Survey, No. 2,523.  He had settled at Washington, Ky., in 1790.  Mr. Ralston states that Daniel Feagins built a “still-house” on the branch, a short distance below Smith’s house, a few years after their arrival, and that Smith, in consequence, tracked his farm to William Still for 100 acres of land in what is now Clark Township, and removed to the latter in 1804.  Smith was an accomplished scholar, and, after his removal to Clark, held numerous offices of trust.  He was often importuned to teach school, but would never consent to do so, although he would generously impart such information as he could to those in search of knowledge.  He died in Clark Township in 1832, aged eighty-four years.  He is said to have owned the first sheep ever brought to this part of the country.
     In 1801, ROBERT CURRY settled on the James Curry Survey of 1,000 acres just south of Georgetown.  Maj. James Curry was an officer in the Revolutionary war, and this survey was made on his warrant for military services, but, not caring to tempt the wilds of the far West himself, he disposed of the tracts to his nephew, Robert, who, in 1799, left his home in Rockingham County, Va., with his wife, Phoebe, and several small children, and with his young brother, John, for the seat of their purchase.  They remained two years in Bourbon County, Ky., where John was accidentally killed, and, in 1801, arrived at their future home.  Mr. Curry built his cabin in the southern portion of the survey, across the road but not far from the present residence of Mrs. Parker.  Until this time, there had been no white occupant on this survey.  He spent four years in clearing and improving the place, but had accomplished comparatively little when he was cut off by a sudden attack of fever, leaving his wife with a family of helpless children to struggle on in the wilderness as best she could.  Mrs. Curry survived until July, 1822.  They had six children - Abigail married William Florer and moved to Kentucky; Mary became the wife of William Moore, of this township; Lucinda married Elijah Evans, and died on the home farm in 1860; William moved to Clermont County; Rebecca married Andrew Moore, and Phoebe, Samuel Colvin, both of Pleasant Township.
     HENRY RALSTON, a relative of Mrs. Curry, came about the time the Currys did, settling just east of them, where John T. Brady now lives.  He was originally from Rockingham County, Va., but, like most of the settlers, had lived awhile in Kentucky before coming here.  He arrived here so late in the spring that the neighbors, who had finished their spring work, “turned in” and helped him clear a piece for corn.  He had a family of six children - John, Robert, Jesse, James, Mrs. Abbie Derough and Mrs. Phoebe Jolly.
     His brother, James Ralston, settled in the western part of the township, on the V. M. Loudon place.
     ISSACHAR DAVIS was originally from Pennsylvania, directly from Kentucky.

Page 376 -
In 1802, he settled in the western part of the township, where his grandson, A. W. Davis, now lives.  He was a cabinet-maker by trade, and, besides farming, he worked at carpentering, millwrighting and the undertaking business.  He lived here over thirty years and died.  Seven sons grew to maturity and married - John, Isaac, William, Issachar, Thomas, Solomon and Samuel.  One or two daughters died young.
     JONATHAN MOORE was living on the J. McMichael place, north of Davis, in 1801.  He was for a long, time Elder in the Presbyterian Church.  Joseph Foor, John T. Parker and Stephen Calvin were also early settlers in this vicinity.  Mr. Moore was one of the first settlers to possess a team, and took great pride in having a good one.  He raised a family in the township, then sold his farm and moved West.
     Three brothers, GEORGE, JOHN and DANIEL EVANS, became residents of the township about the close of the last century.  They hailed from Jessamine County, Ky., and came separately.  George landed on the site of Ripley, where he remained a year and cleared off a portion of the land that now forms the town.  He then made a purchase on the Tibbs Survey, two and a half miles southeast from Georgetown, and removed there with his wife, Jane, and two children, John and Anne.  He at once made a clearing for his crops, but, when the survey of his purchase was made, learned, to his dismay, that the clearing was not on his land.  A second purchase was made, which included the improved ground.  Mr. Evans remained here during life.  He was twice married, and raised a large family of children.  Daniel settled in this neighborhood, but John bought 250 acres off the O’Bannon tract, four miles southwest from Georgetown, where he died in 1828 or 1829, leaving a family of nineteen, whose descendants still own land here.
     JAMES WOODS was born in Ireland, and emigrated with his family to Washington County, Penn.  He afterward removed to Kentucky, and, very soon after, 1800, to Pleasant Township, settling on what is now the William Pangburn farm, about four miles below Georgetown.  He possessed deep religious convictions, and was an earnest, God-fearing man.  His children were Allen, Nathaniel, Samuel and AnnaSamuel lived in Lewis Township; Allen, on the site of Georgetown; Nathaniel, on the home farm, below Georgetown.  Nathaniel, when not engaged in farming, boated a great deal on the river, trading produce, pork, flour, etc., at different points on the Ohio and Mississippi, often extending his trip as far south as New Orleans, and then walking back overland to his home.  He was married, in Pennsylvania, to Jane Stewart, and raised his family on the farm, where he died about 1837.  His wife survived him many years.
     ABEL REES was from Kentucky.  He settled, at a very early date, just east of Georgetown, on the farm now owned by H. L. Penn.  Though he had little or no education, he was a man of mark in his community.  In connection with his farm duties, he labored at the forge and anvil, and wrought out many axes for his neighbors.  He was a hearty Methodist - one of the few who devoted themselves heart and soul to its welfare.  Preaching was often held at his cabin, and his generous hospitality would never permit those who had gathered there from long distances for the purpose of hearing the word of God preached to return home without first dining at his table.
     JAMES PARKER was an early settler on the Potterfield Survey, near the  He came to the place a young married man, and remained the rest of his life.  His nationality was purely Irish.
     HUGH MAKLEM and his son John, a youth of about eighteen years, settled on a place of 150 acres in the southern part of the Tibbs Survey, now owned by L. Heizer, in 1802 or 1803.  Hugh was a native born Scotchman, who left his

Page 377 - [BLANK PAGE]

Page 378 -


BENJ. F. DYER

Page 379 -
home a widower and crossed the ocean with his only child, John.  They tarried in Virginia a short time, then came westward to Kentucky, and, after sojourning there for a year or two, crossed the river and settled here.  He was a mill-wright by trade, but tilled the soil here.  For a few years, he and John kept bachelor’s hall, but John probably tired of this mode of living, for, in 1809, he took unto himself a wife, Martha Parker, and raised a large family.  He spent his life in this township, and died July 4, 1875, aged ninety years.
     JOHN RONEY was one of the pioneers, though the exact date of his arrival is not known.  He was a native born Irishman, and emigrated to America about 1790.  Remaining on James River, Virginia, a few years, he found his way to Limestone, now Maysville, Ky., and lived there and at Washington, Ky., for some time, then settled just east of Georgetown.  He afterward bought the place he settled on from Mr. Fagins.  He was a millwright, but gave his entire attention, after his removal to this township, to developing his farm.  His children were James, John, Frank, Rosa and AndrewJames settled on White Oak, in Lewis Township, and became a miller; John remained on the home place, where his son, John, still lives; Frank and Rosa settled six miles north of Georgetown; and Andrew died a young man, from the effects of a rattlesnake bite.
     ISRAEL JENNINGS brought his wife, Charity, and family of twelve children to Brown County from Bardstown, Nelson Co., Ky., in 1802 or 1803.  His father’s family was farming on Long Island during the Revolutionary war, and, when the British took possession, was given the alternative of swearing allegiance to the King or losing the property.  Preferring the latter, the family moved to Chatham, N. H., and, subsequently, Israel came West.  He lived a year in Union Township, then purchased 200 acres off the north part of the Rhea Survey, about two miles east of Georgetown, and moved to it.  No clearing had been made on the place, but the deserted cabin of some previous squatter was found, and Mr. Jennings made it his habitation for eighteen months, when he built himself a substantial log cabin.  He had been a house carpenter, but devoted himself here exclusively to farm pursuits, and died at the home place at a good old age.  William Jennings, the youngest child, still lives on the site of the old cabin, at the advanced age of eighty-two years.
     His neighbors, who came shortly before or very soon after him, were Stephen Colvin, who lived north on the S. Huey place; Jacob Slack, on Camp Sun; John Sharp; John Dye and James, his son, on the Rhea Survey; Thomas Scott, on Straight Creek; and John Day, on the Rhea Survey.  The latter came in 1804, and died in 1857.
     OTHER EARLY PIONEERS, who settled on what is now the Ripley pike, were James and Francis Thompson, two brothers.  They were from Pennsylvania; were Presbyterians; good, steady citizens; raised families and removed to Indiana.  James taught several terms of school in this township.  James Hamilton came very early in the century; married a daughter of James Woods, but, after awhile, moved farther west.  Gideon Dunham settled about two miles south of Georgetown.  He made the first improvements on the William Frost place; was from Pennsylvania, and removed from this township to Perry Township, becoming a pioneer there.  Francis Daugherty settled on what is now the W. B. Frost farm.  He emigrated from Pennsylvania, and, after remaining in Pleasant Township a number of years, continued westward to Illinois.  He was a stone mason, and built most of the rude stone chimneys for the pioneers in his vicinity.  He had two sons - Mayberry and JamesAndrew Kirkpatrick was a pioneer squatter.  He made a clearing a short distance east of Olive Chapel, but changed his habitation frequently.  When last heard from, he was in Indiana.  James Calvin occupied the Joseph Shepard place.

Page 380 -
He belonged to a family of “great fighters” in pioneer times, and, when the country in this vicinity became settled, he removed West.  James Kilpatrick was one of the earliest shoemakers.  He was a tall, spare individual, and, when not at work at his bench, engaged in agriculture.  He afterward removed his family to Illinois.
     LEVI WHITE, a native of Pennsylvania, emigrated to Kentucky, and there, near Dover, married Elizabeth, daughter of Amos Wood, and, not a great while later, removed to this township, buying and settling on a little farm where Jesse Printy now lives, on “Free-Soil” Ridge.  Both he and his eldest son, Amos, were under arms in the war of 1812, in Capt. Shumalt’s company.  Soon after, he sold his place and removed to Indiana, but, not liking that country, he returned to this county and spent the remainder of his life here.  He died about 1819, and his widow survived him about forty years.  They had eleven children, only two of whom are now living.
     It would be impossible to mention all the early settlers of the township within the limits of this work, even if their names and history could be learned.  Each succeeding year, after the emigration once began, brought more and more citizens into the township, until it was fully occupied.  Many of those who came first, becoming habituated to the free and independent life of pioneer backwoodsmen, felt the restraint of the increasing settlement around them, and again sought more Western homes, probably continuing to ride on the advance wave of civilization until overtaken by death.  As has doubtless been noticed, the earliest settlers, almost without exception, lived awhile in Kentucky, and a greater part of them had emigrated thither from Virginia and Pennsylvania.
     Among the settlers who came somewhat later than most of the above, may be mentioned Moses Hicks, John T. Parker, Jacob, Aaron and Valentine Burgett, James Colvin, Robert Sample, Samuel Ross, Edward Hall, Robert Wright, Robert King, Fielding Martin, James McKinney, John Liggett, John Mefford, Joshua Jordon, Thomas Rodgers, Abram Sells, Archibald Tweed, John Forsyth, Robert Forsythe, the McKees, the Dugans, Amos Mitchell and Edward Thompson.

MILLS.

 

 

 

 

Page 381 -

 

 

 

 

ROADS.

 

 

 

Page 382 -

SCHOOLS.

 

 

 

CHURCHES.

 

 

 

 

Page 383 -

 

 

Page 384 -

 

 

 

 

 

VILLAGES.

     Unfortunately, the records of Pleasant Township have been lost or destroyed, and its official history, consequently, cannot be noticed.  Georgetown is the only village within its limits, though one or two attempts to establish towns in other portions of its territory have been made.  The site originally selected for the county seat of Brown County lay partly within this township and partly in Jefferson.  The Pleasant Township portion was just south of where Straight Creek enters the township, on the Charles Abbott place.  Bridgewater was the name given to the embryo city, comprising 100 acres of land, forested, but platted and staked.  A term of court was held here in the soli-

Page 385 -
tude, in a hewed-log house; a deserted cabin, which had stood on the Fielding Martin place, a half-mile to the westward, had been hastily torn down and removed to the seat of justice one Saturday, roofed on Sunday, and, the following morning, was in readiness for the tribunal that issued its mandates of law from the midst of most dismal surroundings.  But one term of court is said to have been held here, as narrated elsewhere in this volume, and the virgin forests, preserved intact, bore no evidence that this locality had once been the seat of justice of a populous and wealthy county.
     Another attempt at town making was made by Amos Mitchel shortly before Georgetown was laid out.  The spot he hoped would attain great municipal power and renown he dubbed Monroe, in honor of the then President.  It was located on his farm, two miles below Georgetown, on the Ripley pike, now occupied by Mrs. Frost.  A plat of forty-six lots was laid out, surrounded and intersected with all the necessary streets and alleys, but it came to naught.  It is not known that a single house was erected there, save the cabin of its proprietor.

GEORGETOWN.

     Dec. 10, 1819, Allen Woods appeared before Henry Chapman, a Justice of the Peace in and for Brown County, and acknowledged a plat of Georgetown, containing twenty-two lots and two outlots, including nine acres and forty-two poles, located on a part of Robert Lawson’s Survey, No. 2,523, and described as follows on the record: “ The land contained in the above plat begins at a post near a white oak; thence west sixty-five poles to a walnut post; thence north twenty-two poles and eight-tenths to a walnut post; thence east sixty-five poles to a walnut stake, near a branch; thence south twenty-two poles and eight-tenths to the place of beginning.”  Lots 2 to 10, 20 to 24, and 26 to 38, inclusive, were four poles wide and eight poles deep; Lot 11, same depth, and one and nine-tenths rods front; Lots 12 to 19, five rods front and six rods deep; Lot 25, two and eight-tenths poles front and eight poles deep.  Main street, running north and south, was three poles wide and twenty-two and eight-tenths long; Apple street, same length, two poles wide; North street, one and eight-tenths poles wide, twelve long; Main alley, one pole wide and eight long.  Lots 29 and 30 contained respectively 200 and 281 square poles.
     May 15, 1820, Henry Newkirk and James Woods made large additions, increasing the whole number of lots to 138, extending Main street and laying out Main Cross street three poles wide. The public square, containing 144 square poles, is in Newkirk’s Addition, which was much the larger of the two.  An outlot of four acres south of Main Cross street, at its eastern terminus, was occupied at the time by a tanyard.  Lots 31 and 138, at the west side of the Newkirk Addition, were donated “for the use of a public school and a meeting house for public worship.”
     James Woods’ Second Addition was laid out Sept. 27, 1821, “beginning at a stake in the line dividing the lands of Abel Rees and myself,” etc.
     Henry Newkirk’s Second Addition was platted on the following day -Sept. 28, 1821 - on the south side of his former addition, extending the existing streets and alleys.  He says, in his deed of the property, “All the streets and alleys herein described is set apart as public ground, with an exception of the privilege to citizens of the town to make walk pavements on the borders of the streets, not to exceed seven feet, to and of which I hereby relinquish all my right, title and interest for the purposes before and herein expressed.
     Abel Rees made an addition Sept. 27, 1821; Andrew Donaldson,

Page 386 -
July 30, 1822: Thomas Jennings, May 19, 1842; John G. Marshall, Feb. 28, 1867; G. A. White, Apr. 19, 1867; and John Wills, date not given, made the latest addition, at some time within the past three or four years.
     The following are copies of papers which accompanied the report of the Commissioners appointed to locate the seat of justice of Brown County.  The report will be found elsewhere in this volume, together with a full account of the county seat contest:

 

 

Page 387 -


E. FLAUGHER

Page 388 - [BLANK PAGE]

 

 

Page 389 -

 

 

Page 390 -

 

 

Page 391 -

 

 

Page 392 -

 

 

Page 393 -

 

 

 

INCORPORATION AND MAYORS

 

 

 

 

GRANT'S BOYHOOD.

     Jesse R. Grant, on the 23d of August, 1823, purchased Lot No. 18 in the Georgetown plat, for $50, of Alexander McGaffick.  It had first been sold by Allen Woods to Matthew Kelly, who sold it to McGaffick.  The deed to Mr. Grant was acknowledged before Thomas L. Hamer, Justice of the Peace.  Mr. Grant was at that time a citizen of Brown County, having removed to Georgetown the same year, from Clermont County.  Oct. 16, 1824, he purchased Lot No. 147, for $40, of Thomas Morris and William Middleton, who had been appointed by the Legislature as Trustees for the sale of lots in the village.  On the same date, he purchased Lot No. 119, for $16, of the same parties, and subsequently became a considerable landholder in the vicinity.  He sold Lot 18 to Zachariah Riley Feb. 20, 1824.
     The house he lived in for many years stood on Lot 264, at the northwest

Page 394 -
street, on Ontlot 14, where Single’s grist-mill now stands. Ulysses S. was but a year old when his father came to Georgetown, and his boyhood and youth were spent here until he received his appointment to West Point in 1839.  He assisted his father at the tannery, but was particularly fond of horses, and was usually employed in teaming.  His father was a contractor, and Ulysses hauled the stone for many of the old substantially erected buildings, among them the jail on Pleasant street, and the old market house.   A prominent attorney of Georgetown recollects that, at a circus exhibiting east of the square, where Judge Biehn’s residence now stands, the trick mule was produced, and the boys invited to ride it.  Several young men attempted the feat, but were one after another ingloriously landed on the ground.  Finally, Ulysses ventured forth, and, mounting the beast, stayed there, notwithstanding the frisky animal’s at tempts to unseat him.  He often showed his skill in horsemanship by riding a horse at full speed, standing perfectly erect, sometimes on one foot, to the envy and astonishment of his companions.  His school days were passed in the little brick schoolhouse on South Water street.  He is remembered as a lively, companionable boy, frank, generous and open-hearted, a leader and favorite among the Georgetown boys, who, at that time, were not very numerous, and “hung together” well.  He was studious and faithful in the performance of whatever he undertook.  He was regarded as an ordinary, practical boy, of good common sense, without any special marks of genius.  Jesse R. Grant was a local politician of considerable note, but so blunt and uncompromising in his nature that he provoked hostility on the part of those whose aims were not the same as Grant’s.  The appointment to the cadetship was secured through Gen. Hamer, then representing this district in Congress.  The young cadet, when visiting his old home during vacations, and long afterward, always sought his old acquaintances.  His social feelings forbade him slighting any whom he had known in early life, and many an old resident, who had perhaps almost forgot ten him, was traced up and greeted with a hearty hand-shake and pleasant word.

MORGAN'S RAID.

     Wednesday, July 15, 1863, was a day which will not soon be forgotten by the citizens of Georgetown.  It was the occasion of the visit of Morgan’s raiders, 200 or 300 strong, under the command of Col. Hick Morgan, brother of John Morgan, the famous rebel guerrilla chieftain.  The detachment arrived over the Georgetown & New Hope road, about half past 9 o’clock in the morning of the day given, and remained three hours, picketing their horses around the court house square.  Several loyal citizens of the town were shot at, among them Lieut. William Hannah, who was at home on a furlough from Vicksburg; no one was hit, although some received close calls from the leaden messengers.  The raiders stole a number of horses in and around Georgetown, robbed the post office and took goods from various parties to the estimated value of $3, 105, as follows: C. Theis, groceries, $500; H. Stigler, groceries and three watches, $200; P. Stigler, groceries, $60; H. Brunner, boots, shoes, watch and breast-pin, $50; H. McKibben, dry goods, $30; C. Newkirk, dry goods, $1,500; Evans & Woodward, dry goods, $3050; Adam Shane, clothing, $150; C. Zaumseil, jewelry, $200; Bieves & Taylor, drugs, $50; Louis Weaver, saddlery, $60; C. Hurst, grocer, $5.  About 12:30 P. M., the rebels left for Russelville, which they also raided, and proceeded thence to Decatur.  The main body had passed through the northern portion of the county via Mt. Oreb and Sardinia.

THE PRESS.

     The history of the press of Georgetown has been carefully prepared by Dr. T. W. Gordon, and to him are we indebted for the following, published in

Page 395 -
the Brown County Atlas: The first printing establishment brought to this county was purchased by Louden, Butt & Co., of Morgan, Lodge & Co., in Cincinnati, and a newspaper was published on it in Levanna in June, 1820, called the Benefactor.  It continued one year at that place, when a dissolution took place between the owners, and Mr. Louden sold his interest to William Middleton, of Ripley.  At that time, a man who was a silent partner is said to have entered the office, and to have taken possession of and carried away a large portion of the material, including the main screw of the press and the platten.  These he hid amongst the “dog-fennel” and “Jamestown weeds, then growing abundantly in and about Levanna.  No paper was issued from June, 1821, until November of the same year, when the owners tried to collect the materials thus scattered by a writ of replevin, but failed in their efforts.  They, however, gathered up what they could find of the material left, and, adding new material to it, the Benefactor again made its appearance, conducted by Butt & Middleton; but, with the partial change of owners, it made a complete change of location, and, leaving the banks of the Ohio, it found a home at Georgetown.  Its publication was continued here by Butt & Middleton until May 16, 1822, when Middleton sold his interest to Hon. Thomas Morris, of Bethel.  The Benefactor made its appearance under the management of Butt & Morris until January, 1824, when Hon. Thomas L. Hamer became the editor, aud James J. Smith the publisher.  The publication was continued by these gentlemen until 1825, when it was discontinued.  For a time prior to its final suspension, it was called the Benefactor and Georgetown Advocate.  The size of the paper was 17x22 inches, four pages of four columns each, filled almost exclusively with foreign and political news and local advertisements.  In 1824, it advocated the election of Gen. Jackson to the Presidency.  The subscription price was $2 per annum, if paid in advance.
     In August, 1826, the Castigator, a paper which had been published in Ripley for two years, was removed to Georgetown.  Its publisher was David Ammen.  It at first rather favored the election of John Q. Adams to the Presidency, but, after another paper was started in the county, which came out in July for Mr. Adams, the Castigator ceased to support or even favor his election, and, at a later period, became an active partisan in favor of the election of Gen. Jackson, and, on his retirement, it hoisted the name of Martin Van Buren, and fought manfully for his election.  In May, 1836, Mr. Ammen sold the paper to Benjamin Morris, of Clermont County, who, on July 10 following, resold it to Mr. Ammen, losing nearly one-half the price of the establishment in the speculation.  Mr. Ammen admitted his son, Michael Ammen, into partnership with him, and they published the paper until Mar. 27, 1837, when it was purchased by a purse raised for the purpose.  Its politics were changed to Whig, and John Duffy and Thomas H. Lynch continued its publication until June 21, 1837, when its name was changed to the Political Examiner.  After the issue of a few numbers, Duffy & Pollock managed the paper, and continued its publication until after the returns of the election in 1838, when it was discontinued.  At this time, Preston Sellers owned a share in the press, and he resumed its publication and continued it until August, 1839, when Mr. Lynch sold the material to C. Edwards, of Ripley, and it was removed by him to that village and used in the publication of the Ripley TelegraphMr. Sellers then procured new material, and the Examiner was revived by him.  He continued at its head, but, in August, 1843, sold out to Isaac N. Walters, who removed the press and fixtures to Clark County.  Sellers then purchased, at Xenia, the printing material from which the Free Press had been there published, and, removing it to Georgetown, once more had the Examiner in process of publication.  In

Page 396 -
March, 1845, it was removed to Ripley, and there published until August following, when the material was transferred by the Sheriff to Messrs. Shaw, and the Ripley Bee brought into existence.
     The Western Philanthropist was a short-lived newspaper, that dated its existence from Dec. 1, 1825.  It was published by Daniel F. Barney, of Georgetown, and continued for a few weeks only.
     The first number of the Western Ægis was issued June 13, 1827, by A & J. Butt.  Some time in 1828, the office and material were consumed by fire, but new material was purchased and the paper started again.  In December of the same year, however the owners removed it to Waverly, Pike Co., Ohio.
     The Democrat and People's Advocate, was published at Georgetown by Isaac N. Morris, the first number making its appearance Nov. 12, 1833.  Six months later the proprietor sold the material to C. F. Campbell, who moved it to Ripley, and there published the Ohio Whig.
     The next Georgetown paper was the Democratic Standard.  Its first issue was made July 4, 1837, by Amos Derrough who continued the publication until Jan. 9, 1838, when he sold the establishment to L. B. Leeds and Francis M. Allen.  They published it until October 12 of the same year, when Mr. Allen retired, and left Mr. Leeds in sole charge.  He, in January, 1839, re-conveyed it to Mr. Derrough, who published it for one year, or until January, 1840.  The Standard was revived Aug. 1, 1840, by D. F. Palmer, who published it until February, 1845.  Will Tomlinson then became proprietor and published it until 1847.  In that year, J. H. Smith and T. Q. Blair.  The year following, D. W C. Johnson came into possession, and changed its name to the Georgetown Standard.  In a short time Mr. Johnson resold it to Will Tomlinson who published it until 1850, when the Standard and the Democrat and Journal were consolidated.
     The Ohio Freeman was established at Georgetown by John Duffy Mar. 8, 1839.  It was neutral in politics, and, after the publication of the thirteenth number, it was discontinued.
     The Western Wreath sprang into existence Sept. 6, 1845, with C. W. Blair, G. B. White and J. G. Marshall, editors, and Will Tomlinson, publisher.  After ten or twelve numbers were published, the paper was purchased by Tomlinson, who was at that time proprietor of the Standard.
     The publication of the Western Literary Journal was commenced at Georgetown, Sept. 8, 1849, by W. P. Stewart and G. W. King, Jr., with D. W. C. Johnson as editor.  After five or six numbers were issued, P. McGroarty became editor, and William Stewart, entire owner.  After the  publication of twenty-one numbers, Mr. Stewart became editor and proprietor, and continued its publication.  In March, 1850, he changed the name to the Democrat and Journal.  Soon after, D. W. Johnson purchased this paper, and, forming a partnership with Will Tomlinson, of the Standard, the two papers were consolidated, and the Democratic Union thereby formed.  Its first issue was dated Jan. 1, 1851.  This firm published the paper one year, when Tomlinson sold his interest to W. P. Stewart, and the paper was continued in the name of Johnson & Stewart until May, 1852, when Stewart became the owner,, and continued its publication until the close of the volume, when D. W. C. Loudon and Abraham Sallee became the owners of the Union office.  The first number of the paper issued by them was in January, 1853; they continued until September of the same year, when Sallee retired, and Loudon continued to publish the paper until May, 1854.  One-half of the establishment was then purchased by S. H. Cook.  In October following, Loudon sold his interest to W. H. Sallyards, who also rented Cook's share.  The Union soon ceased to ex-

Page 397 - [BLANK PAGE]

Page 398 -


J. P. HELBLING

Page 399 -
ist.  It was succeeded by the Independent American, the first number of which was issued from the Union material, Nov. 9, 1854.  After the first number, Dr. Thomas W. Gordon, became editor, and continued in this capacity until the nineteenth number, when he retired, and William Salllyards took charge of it, and conducted it until June 28, 1855, when J. H. Brown purchased Mr. Cook's share in the office and became editor.  Mr. Sallyards sold his interest to Brown in November 1855.  The paper was continued under the name of True Jeffersonian, and was conducted by J. H. Brown and W. W. Young.
     W. P. Stewart sought to revive the Union, but, after the issue of a single number, sold his prospects to John Reed and A. P. HarrisonReed & Harrison published the first number of the Brown County Democrat at Georgetown, May 3, 1855, with C. A. White and G. W. Hamer, editors.  August 16, White retired, and, November 22, Reed disposed of his interest to Harrison and withdrew.
     Aug. 26, 1858, the Democratic Standard was revived by Sallyards & Taylor, edited by J. P. Fyffe and T. T. Taylor.  It made its appearance Mar. 31, 1859, under the name of T. T. Taylor.  In May following, Taylor disposed of his interest to A. R. Vancleaf, and it was then published by Sallyards & Vancleaf until Septemder Sept. 8, 1859, when Vancleaf retired.  A week later, Taylor sold the paper to John G. Doren, who also purchased the Brown County Democrat, and consolidated them under the name of the Southern Ohio Argus.   Apr. 6, 1864, Doren sold the Argus to L. B. Leeds, who, in the fall of the same year, changed the name to the Brown County News.  In 1868, he associated with him in its publication his son, Thomas J. Leeds, who retired in May, 1874, and since then L. B. Leeds has published the paper.  Its politics are Democratic.
     The publication of the Union, a Republican organ, was begun late in the year 1860, and continued for several years.  W. H. H. Sallyards and William A. Evans were the publishers, and the former, editor.
     The Georgetown Sentinel was started as an independent Democratic organ during the summer of 1874, by T. J. Leeds, publisher.  Col. John G. Marshall was editor from its first issue until his death, when, for a time, the editorial department was managed by the publisher, and under him the paper supported R. B. Hayes for the Presidency.  In April, 1877, Charles N. McGroarty purchased the Sentinel, and has since been its editor and proprietor.  Since it has come into his possession, it has been unwaveringly Democratic.
     The Georgetown Gazette issued its first number Sept. 11, 1880.  W. H. P. Denny was its founder, and is still its editor and publisher.  It is the only Republican paper at Georgetown.

SCHOOLS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Page 400 -

 

 

 

 

CHURCHES.

     The Georgetown Methodist Episcopal Church was organized within a few years of the location of the county seat here.  The earliest preaching was held in a dwelling house of Abel Rees, standing on Main Cross street, just below the C. Hurst Block.   The first church, which was also the first in the village, was a small brick edifice, which stood on Outlot 16, Water street.  It was erected about 1827.  Among the prominent early members may be mentioned

Page 401 -
Abel Rees and wife, Joseph Stableton and wife, John Purdum and wife, Hugh P. Payne and wife, and Thomas H. Lynch and wife.  The present commodious brick house of worship was erected in 1846, and dedicated the following year by Rev. Joseph M. Trimble.  Its architect was Hubbard Baker.  The cupola of the new building was considered in its day a model of symmetry and beauty.  The total cost of the chruch church was about $6,000.  Thomas L. Hamer and Hanson L. Penn were the heaviest contributors to its erection.  Other members and friends of the church who subscribed liberally were David G. Devore, George W. King, Benjamin Penn, John Kay, D. J. Steward, Zaccheus Kay, William Jennings and Benjamin Sells.  The membership at this time was about one hundred, and the ministers in charge during the construction of the church were Revs. Wesley Roe and Oliver Peoples.  The church then formed a part of a circuit, but soon after Georgetown was made a station.  In the old church, Revs. John W. Clark, James B. Finley, John Meek, John Stewart and George W. Maley were noted preachers.  The last named was a peculiarly gifted divine, and, abont about 1837, held a revival at the Georgetown Church, which was remarkably successful.  Some of the most prominent citizens of the vicinity, as well as many hardened sinners, were brought into the church under his effective preaching.  Among the former were Thomas L. Hamer and Dr. George B. Bailey.  It is supposed that 150 converts united with the church before the protracted meetings closed.  Rev. John Stewart’s ministerial labors were also blessed with a large ingathering of souls.  Since the erection of the new church, the ministers who have built up the numerical strength of the congregation most strongly were Revs. Wesley Roe, Charles Ferguson, and the present pastor, Rev. J. Verity.  The present membership exceeds two hundred, fifty-five of whom were received at one time during the summer of 1882.  A prosperous and highly interesting Sabbath school is regularly maintained.
     Concerning the origin of the Georgetown Christian Church, Elder Matthew Gardner, in his autobiography, writes: “About this time (1822 or 1823), I began to preach regularly in Georgetown, Ohio. * * The meetings were for some time held in a small schoolhouse; but, as this would not hold the people, as soon as the court house was erected, I preached in it.  There was much opposition from the Methodists and Presbyterians.  They did not like to see the Christians taking a start with the town.  But this did not prevent the people receiving that religion which has the Bible for its only rule of faith and practice, to the exclusion of all sectarian creeds.  A church was soon organized, which grew rapidly.  In a few years, we erected a brick chapel.  I was one of the largest subscribers, as I was generally to houses built by churches, which, through divine grace, I had organized.  I even went over and labored on the building.  I assisted in putting on the roof, to secure the walls before winter came on.  This church prospered for several years, in creasing to the number of nearly two hundred members.”  The brick chapel erected is still standing, and is now occupied by the colored school.
     When the “reformatory” movement of Alexander Campbell and his co-believers swept over the country, the majority of the members of this congregation became converted to the new faith, organized a society Nov. 16, 1834, and carried over with them the property of the former Christian Church.  The sixteen original members who formed this new society were John D. White, Nathan Sidwell, Robert Allen, Horace Jones, William Denniston, Sarah Denniston, James Baker, Anna Sidwell, Margaret Baker, Hannah Shepherd, Mary Bentley, Elisha Mount, Sarah Mount, Lucretia Marshall, Margaret R. White and Mary Allen.  Jan. 1, 1836, the membership had increased to sixty-six’; seven years later, it reached ninety.  Mar. 8, 1835, the first church election resulted in the choice of Robert Allen, Nathan Sidwell and

Page 402 -
John D. White for Elders, and William T. McConaughy, James Baker, Ezekiel Miner and Abraham Ellis, Deacons.  Elder Richard C. Ricketts was the first regular pastor, entering upon his labors Oct. 24, 1835.  In 1855, the membership was greatly reduced through church differences, and, after a time, regular preaching was suspended, and the organization almost destroyed.   The old church was finally sold, and the society became almost extinct.
     After the disintegration of this society, a few years elapsed without any services, but, early in 1876, the members who still lived at Georgetown secured the miniterial services of Elder J. H. Lockwood, who preached to them in the Georgetown Schoolhouse.  During the summer and fall of 1877, these members erected a house of worship on North Main street.  It is a frame structure, about 46x60 feet, surmounted by a belfry and bell, and costing, in the aggregate, about $2,000.  The building was dedicated Nov. 25, 1877, the services being conducted by Elders Isaac Errett, of Cincinnati; Dr. John Shockey and J. H. Lockwood.  The day following, Elders Lockwood and J. Irvin West began a series of meetings, which resulted in numerous accessions, and an entire re-organization was effected Dec. 6, 1877, at which time the following officers: J. W. Laycock, Thomas J. Brown and C. Phillips, Trustees; Conrad Wright and John Haslem, Elders; Thomas J. Brown and C. Phillips, Deacons.  The membership at the time of organization was fifty four; it has now reached eighty-two.  Elder Lockwood remained pastor of the church until the spring of 1882, when he was succeeded by J. W. B. Smythe.  A Sabbath school was instituted cotemporaneously with the church, with Lee Laycock as Superintendent.  It has an average attendance of fifty pupils, and is an interesting and well-conducted school.
     The Georgetown Presbyterian Church, as mentioned elsewhere in this chapter, had its origin in the Straight Creek Church, about three miles south of Georgetown.  The first preaching in town was held at the court house.  Sept. 14, 1829, it was resolved that the Presbytery of Chillicothe be petitioned to change the name of the church to the Presbyterian Church of Georgetown, that the church be incorporated, and that the Trustees, Victor King, James Campbell, James Thompson, James Parker and John Maklem, be authorized to obtain a charter of incorporation.  This was not effected until Dec. 21, 1830, at which time the Trustees were James Thompson, James W. Campbell, Duncan Evans, Garret Snedaker and George Blair.  It was about this time that the first church was built at Georgetown, a brick, occupying the site of the present Presbyterian Church.  The earliest pastors divided their time equally between the Georgetown Church and the old Straight Creek Church for awhile, but as the Georgetown congregation increased proportionately much faster than the other, it soon secured three-fourths of the ministers’ labors, and finally all.  The earliest preaching at Georgetown was probably conducted by Rev. John Rankin.  He was pastor of the Straight Creek Church for a number of years prior to 1829.  In that year, Rev. R. B. Dobens was called, and remained with the church one year.  Jan. 9, 1830, Rev. Hervey O. Higby was engaged to preach for a year, and, in October, 1831, Rev. Robert J. Hall was called to the pastorate of the church, and continued in charge until 1836, when Rev. James H. Gass was installed minister.  He remained several years.  In 1837, the membership was 163; in 1841, it had increased to 197.  In 1840, Rev. Moses H. Wilder was called to the church, and remained two years.  Rev. L. G. Bingham then preached a year, and was succeeded by Rev. David Gould, who was pastor of the church until 1850.  Revs. James G. Hopkins, J. Bole and J. Delamater supplied the pulpit for short periods, and Robert Young also preached awhile.  Rev. C. Merwin was installed as regular pastor in 1856, but remained only a year or two.  H. V.

Page 403 -
Warren became pastor in 1858, and continued as such until 1866.  The membership in 1861 had decreased to seventy-seven.  After Rev. Warren’s pastorate, the church was supplied for awhile by Revs. Joseph Swindt, Alexander Parker, W. H. Rogers, D. E. Bierce and H. W. Guthrie; and Rev. Erwin Caton became the next regular pastor.  He was succeeded by the present minister, Rev. S. A. Vandyke, in 1873.  The present church edifice was erected in 1853, at a total cost of about $7,000.  The present membership is 114.  A flourishing Sabbath school is regularly conducted.  It at present is under the superintendency of George N. Woodward, and has a membership of 118.
     The Ruling Elders of the church have been John Evans, Jonathan Moore, James Thompson, William King, James Campbell, Duncan Evans, Victor King, Garret Snedaker, William Buckner, William Griffin, Philip J. Buckner, John Donaldson, Samuel Martin, C. Snedaker, John Salisbury, R. A. Bower, S. W. Evans, Newton Parker, J. M, Barnes, W. P. Maklem, W. R. Parker, G. E. Matthews, J. H. Wills and W. J. Evans.  The last five constitute the present session.
     A Regular Baptist Church was founded at Georgetown in 1837.  In that year, a brick edifice was erected on Market street, just east of the cemetery.  Elder Aaron Sargent was the first minister, and the pastoral relation continued between him and this congregation for more than twenty years. The earliest influential members were Job Egbert, Walter Leach, Thomas Jennings, Basil Norris, their families, Henrietta Baker and others.   Though organized with a small membership, the church grew steadily for awhile, at one time attaining a membership of about one hundred and fifty.  Subsequent to Aaron Sargent, his son, James Sargent, H. H. B. Spencer, B. Y. Seigfried, Wenham Kidder, A. White, Rev. Mason and Rev. Lindsey have had charge of the church.  Many members removed from this vicinity to other localities, and others were removed by death, till finally the membership became too greatly reduced to maintain a pastor regularly, and, about 1874, regular services ceased.  Occasional meetings were held, however, until early in 1881, when, by order of the remnant of the once flourishing congregation, the Trustees, C. G. Turner and B. Ramsy, sold the church building, thus completely extinguishing the organization.
     The Second Baptist Church (colored) was organized July 7, 1868, as the Anti-Slavery Baptist Church of Georgetown, by Elders S. D. Fox and Triplet, and Licentiates R. Burr and George Davis.  The name was afterward changed for its present one.  At its origin, there were scarcely more than half a dozen members, but the church books now enroll about seventy.  The first Deacons elected were Amos Young and John Sharkelford. The pastors and their terms of service have been R. Burr, eight years; E. E. Burr one year; D. B. Green, two years; G. W. Burr, six months; W. H. Steward, present pastor, entered upon his duties in the spring of 1882.  There have been a few times of brief duration when the church was without a minister.  The organization was effected and services held for about three years in the Union School building, then for several year the preaching was conducted in the dwellings of the members, and, since 1874, the schoolhouse for colored pupils, on Water street, has been occupied by them.  The congregation is now engaged in constructing a frame house of worship, 28x38, at the extreme south end of Water street.  A successful Sabbath school is in operation.

SOCIETIES.

     Georgetown Lodge, No. 72, F. & A. M., was first chartered in 1824, and, on the 24th of June, 1825, Rev. John Rankin delivered an address before the members, which was well received, the lodge paying him $10 for the lecture.

Page 404 -

 

 

Page 405 -

 

 

Page 406 -

 

 

 

 

 

HOTELS.

     The American Hotel was built by different parties.  Allen Woods erected the corner portion probably in 1820.  It was a brick structure, containing two rooms, and north of it was a vacant space twenty feet in width, beyond which John Smith and James Crawford had erected a small b+rick building, which subsequently became a part of the hotel.  The space between the two buildings was afterward built over by Crawford for Allen Woods, and the three parts were united in one, constituting the front of the present building.  The property passed into the hands of Peter L. Wilson (Mr. Woods’ son-in-law), piece by piece, and he built the entire rear portion.  Mr. Wilson had located in Lewis Township in 1818, but removed across the river to Augusta, Ky., from which point he came to Georgetown in the winter of 1821-22.  He commenced as landlord of the American in 1827, and continued to administer the affairs of that well-known hostelry until 1847, when he rented it, and finally, after several parties had occupied it, sold it to John McColgin in the fall of 1851.  The latter gentleman repaired and refitted it, the building, about that time, suffered some damage by fire.  The next proprietor was Artus Pepper, who was succeeded, about the 1st of November, 1862, by Esq. John Jenkins, after whom the building was called the “Jenkins House.”  In February, 1866, John Dillen became proprietor, and was followed by William Norris, who assumed charge Dec. 2, 1867.  Dillen was succeeded by George Shields, and he by B. F. Stump.  The next and present proprietor is W. N. Bingamon, who uses only a portion of the building for hotel purposes.
     Another building used as a hotel in early times, and, until within a year or two, stood on the south side of the square, where the bakery is now located.  James Vandyke was host at this stand prior to 1827.  Other proprietors who succeeded him were Thomas Kirker, Osmus Johnson, David Crawford and Richard Bingamon.
     The National Union Hotel, at the northwest corner of Pleasant and Main Cross streets, was erected by Edward Lewis in 1863.  The roof had just been placed on at the time of Morgan’s raidMr. Lewis died in 1868, and his son, J. J. Lewis, became proprietor of the house, continuing until 1878.  His mother, Mrs. M. M. Lewis, then had the management of the house until the fall of 1882, when she sold it to John M. Richards, who took possession No-

Page 407 -


JAMES B. PORTER

 

Page 408 - [BLANK PAGE]

Page 409 -
vember 15.  A one story hotel was kept at this place by Mr. Dowdney before the present house was built.
     Since 1877, a portion of the Biehn House, on the north side of the square, has been used for hotel purposes.  The first proprietor here was Michael Brunner who remained in charge about a year and a half, and was succeeded by John Pierce.  His successor, Albert Kautz, the proprietor, assumed control in the spring of 1882.

BUSINESS INTERESTS.

     The first bank of Georgetown, and the only one prior to the First National, was opened by Penn & Phillips in January, 1856.  John W. King soon secured an interest in the business.  A general banking business was carried on until Nov. 15, 1878, when, under the name of F. J. Phillips & Co., the bank suspended.
     The First National Bank of Georgetown was chartered May 23, 1882, with a capital of $50,000.  The first stockholders were John Markley, James H. Dunn, H. C. Loudon, John A. Tweed, Joseph Cochran, W. S. Whiteman, James C. Dunn, J. P. Biehn, E. B. Fee, R. L. Fite, C. P. O’Hara, P. L. Wilson, John M. Markley, John M. Thompson, John Jennings, J. P. Helbling, Adam Stephen, W. J. Thompson, Robert Conn, L. G. Fee, H. B. Higgins, and W. J. JacobsJoseph Cochran was elected President; W. S. Whiteman, Cashier; and James C. Dunn, Teller.  The bank owns a neat business room on North Main street, and is rapidly gaining a successful and extensive banking business.  A large number of deposits have already been made, and the amount is constantly increasing.
     The woolen factory on East Main Cross street - Outlot 15 - was erected in 1863 by Warner & Ramey.  Very soon after, J. B. Thomas owned an interest, and, during its existence of nearly twenty years, it has frequently changed hands.  Thomas and William A. Pepper, W. N. Ramey and Dr. James Sidwell, each for a time owned a share of the factory; W. T. Gilbreath, assignee of W. N. Ramey & Co., sold it to Alfred Jacobs and J. N. Henning.  Since then the different members of the firm have been William Jacobs, W. J. Jacobs, Robert Young, E. W. West, T. J. Brown, George Inskeep, W. A. Dudley.  Since 1875, the firm name has been R. Young & Co., composed at present of Robert Young, W. A. Dudley and W. A. Young.  The building is a large four-story frame, equipped with all the modern machinery necessary to manufacture yarns, jeans, blankets and flannels.  It is, perhaps, the leading industry of Georgetown at present, and gives employment to eighteen hands.
     The grist-mill, standing nearly opposite the woolen factory, on Outlot 14, the site of Jesse R. Grant’s tannery, was built in 1873 by F. F. Steinman and Christian Single.  Two years later, Mr. Single purchased the interest of his partner, and has operated the mill since.
     The Georgetown Building and Loan Association was incorporated Feb. 22, 1879, the articles of incorporation being recorded on the 24th of March following.  The association was organized under legislative acts of May 1, 1852, and May 9, 1868; capital stock, $100,000.  The incorporators were L. B. Leeds, Sr., John Lafabre, Henry Brunner, G. Pickard, L. B. Miles, B. F. Woods, E. B. Fee, A. Armstrong, S. P. King, A. D. Crouch and Michael Brunner.  The institution is yet in existence.

POSTMASTERS.

     William Butt is supposed to have been the first Postmaster of Georgetown.  He settled here in 1821.  Peter L. Wilson filled the office several years in Jackson’s administration, and was succeeded by John BlairB. C. Baker,

Page 410 -
David Crawford, James Allen, John G. Brose, George D. Evans and James T. Morgan each held the position after BlairAlfred Armstrong was Postmaster under Buchanan; George Kearns was appointed in 1860, and retained the position till 1872.  Since then, Mrs. J. M. Bailey, Mrs. L. B. Powers, Mrs. Jane Crute, Charles F. King and Irving McKibben successively held the office until 1879, when George Kearns, the present Postmaster, again received the appointment.
     The growth of Georgetown has been slow but steady since the date of its foundation.  It is pleasantly located upon an elevated, rolling table land. Its population in 1870 was 1,037; in 1880, 1,293.

 - NEXT - CHAPTER II. - UNION TOWNSHIP

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.