OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Fayette County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

.
BIOGRAPHIES

Source:-
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio

By R. S. Dills -
Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio
1881

A B C D E F G H IJ K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ  

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1881 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

Perry Twp. -
ANDERSON R. IRION, the father of this subject, came to Fayette County from Brown.  Robert Irion, the grandfather of Anderson R., settled on Sugar Creek about the year 1816.  His wife was Nancy Ballentine. The Ballentines were from Ireland. Robert was a soldier in the war of 1812.
     The children of Robert and Nancy Irion were John, Eichlas, George, Frances, Anderson, Hinson, Nancy, Silas, Harvey, Milton, and Mary, John was the eldest son, and the father of this subject.  His wife was Catharine Hawk.  The Hawks were of Brown County, Ohio.  To John and Catharine Irion thirteen children were born: Lucinda, Nancy, Anderson E., Milton, William, Susan, Angeline, Frances, Ellen, Calvin, Mary, Hinson, and JaneLucinda died young.  Nancy married Nathan PineMilton married Eliza J. Stookey, and lives in Fayette County.  William married Sarah Scott.  He was a member of the 168th O. N. G.  He was wounded in an engagement at Cynthiana, Kentucky, in June, 1864, and died from the effects of his wound.  His remains rest at Sugar Grove.  Susan married Benjamin BurnettAngeline married William MilliganFrances married Eli Post, and is a resident of Fayette County.  Ellen married George PineCalvin died in his youth. Mary married James King.  Hinson married Jane SturgeonJane married Edward Updegrove.
     Our subject was born on the 16th of January, 1824, in Brown County, Ohio, and came to Fayette in 1827, with his father's family.  He was married Aug. 3, 1853, to Susan Elizabeth Jones, second daughter of Amos and Eliza E. (Hilliard) Jones, of Virginia.  Mrs. Irion was born Apr. 22, 1829.  To this union two children were born: Eliza Arabella, born May 23, 1854; married James Todhunter, of Fayette County, and is a resident of Perry Township. Jonathan Albertus, born Nov. 11, 1855; lives with his father.
     In 1865, Mr. Irion bought the farm on which he now resides.  It consists of two hundred and forty-six acres of choice land, and is in a high state of cultivation.  He also deals in stock.  The residence, and most of the out-buildings, were built by Mr. Irion, and are tasty and substantial.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Irion are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He is a member of Forest Shade Grange, at New Martinsburg.  Has served Perry Township as trustee for some years past.  His politics are of the Republican stamp,
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 807
Jasper Twp. -
STEPHEN MITCHELL IRVIN was among the pioneers of Jasper Township.  Captain William Palmer preceded him a few months.  He settled in the southwestern corner of the county.  His farm embraced portions of Clinton, Greene and Fayette counties, which made it inconvenient in tax paying, as he had to pay in three counties.
     In the year 1812, or 1813, Mr. Irvin, Captain Palmer, Burwel B. Mills, and Griffith Foos, left Bourbon County, Kentucky, to seek a home in Ohio.  They found the spot where the three first named parties settled, which they supposed was in Clinton County.  They were pleased with the fertility of the soil, which they found covered with a dense forest.  The timber was black walnut, oak, hickory, ash, and sugar maple, and in the more swampy land, elm and maple.  Mr. Foos, not liking so much timber, went to Clarke County, bought a tract of land, started a hotel, which he called "Travelers' Home," and laid out a village, which he called Springfield.
     Mr. Irvin had been married two or three years when he came to Ohio, having married Jane Whitsett, a native of Kentucky, Marc. 16, 1809.  She was one of nine sisters, who had an only brother, and they all lived to be heads of families.
     Mr. Irvin's grandfather came from Ireland.  He had two sons - Andrew and William.  At the ages of six and eight, the parents died, and the boys were separated.  William went to Pennsylvania, Andrew remained in Virginia.  The two brothers never met again.
     Andrew, when he was grown to manhood, married Elizabeth Mitchell, They lived together for sixty-one years, and had a family of six sons and four daughters.  Robert, their oldest son, died in infancy.  Stephen M., the subject of this sketch, was the next oldest.  The other boys were named John, William, Caleb, and Joshua.
     Andrew Irvin
served in the war of 1812, and was in the battle of Oldtown.  He died in 1830.  His wife survived him thirteen years, and died at the age of ninety-three.
     When Stephen was eight years of age, his father emigrated to Kentucky, the family traveling all the way in a cart drawn by a single horse.  This was in the fall of 1788.  For many years they suffered the privations of pioneer life.  Having no schools, the education of the family depended upon the parents.  Fortunately, Mrs. Irvin was a good scholar for those times, and she undertook the education of the family, both in science and religion.  Every Sunday evening was spent in reading the Bible and catechising the children.  They were rigid Calvinists, and adopted the Presbyterian confession of faith and mode of worship.  They were very strict in their religious observances, and labored hard to instill these principles into the minds of their children.  In the case of Stephen they failed.  He early became convinced of the sinfulness of human creeds, and protested earnestly against them.  His mother wept over his apostacy.  Soon, however, the creed was laid aside, and the Bible took its place.
     The year 1800 was one of the great religious interest in the part of Kentucky in which they lived.  Barton W. Stone, the eminent revivalist of that country, and of those times, held a great meeting at Cane Ridge, and the Irvin family all became identified with that movement.  They afterward fell in with the reformatory movement, led by Alexander Campbell, and were all prominently connected with the Christian Church, known now as Disciples of Christ.  Four of the five boys became preachers.
     Stephen M. Irvin left Kentucky to seek his fortune in Ohio, where slavery was prohibited by law.  He shuddered at the thought of raising a family where slavery existed.  Determined to breathe the air of a free country, he came to Ohio, and in 1813 erected a cabin on his tract of woodland.  He at first cleared a garden spot, and then went to work to change his wood land into a farm.  He, in common with all the pioneers, suffered many privations.  Settlers were very few in that part of the state.  Log cabins were the only houses.  When one was to be raised, all the people for miles away were invited to the "house raising."  Here Mr. Irvin became familiar a second time with the hardships common to a new country.  The trials he had known in Kentucky were repeated here.
     Mills were very scarce and distant.  This made it necessary to make hominy for food.  This was done by hollowing out the end of a solid block of wood.  Into this a portion of corn was placed and beat with a pestle.  This was usually made by inserting an iron wedge in the pestle, which was made of wood.  This hominy was a great luxury, and was very healthful food.
     The nearest trading point was Hillsboro, Highland County, thirty miles away.  Here they purchased salt, groceries, and dry goods.
     In the year 1833, on the 9th of May, Mr. Irvin was called to mourn the loss of his wife, Mrs. Jane Irvin, in the forty-third year of her age.  She died as she had lived, a Christian.  The stroke was severe, but he bore it with resignation and humble submission to the Devine will.  He was married Apr. 16, 1835, to Mrs. Elizabeth Barrere.  With her he lived the remainder of his life.  He died July 25, 1852, in his seventy-second year.
     He was a man of extraordinary patience and temper, and was hard to excite to impatience.  He never allowed himself to become angry.  He was identified with the educational and religious interests of the neighborhood.  During the latter part of his life he devoted much time to the subject of religion.  He preached almost every Sunday, and was much devoted to the church.  He never sought for public favor or notoriety.  His aim was to do good.  When death came, it came suddenly, but it found him ready.  When told by Dr. I. C. Williams, his attending physician, that he could live but a short time, he replied:  "I did not think death was so near; but if it is God's will, it is mine."  The doctor said to one of his sons: "Your father is a remarkable man.  His hopes are bright to-day than mine.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 712
Wayne Twp. -
EVAN JAMES, farmer, is a native of Ross County, this state, born Jan. 12, 1834, was reared, educated, and married to Miss Maggie, daughter of Washington Mains, May 28, 1858, in his native county He came to this county in 1860,  located on the well improved farm, situated two one-half miles north of Greenfield, on Good Hope pike, where he now lies and owns three hundred acres.  He has a family of eight children: Mary, Frank, William, Edward, Eva, Altie, George and Charlie, all living save Altie, who died at the early age of five years.
     Our subject's parents, Reuben and Mary (Schhoofstall) James, were married in Virginia.  They had a family of thirteen children; our subject being the sixth one; ten of them survive.  The parents removed to Ross County, this state, in 1820, where they died - he, March, 1877, aged eighty years; she, March, 1861, aged fifty-five years.  They were exemplary members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died triumphantly.
     Our subject engaged in subduing the notorious Morgan on his raid through this state.  He kept a substitute in the field during the entire service.  He is a Democrat, and a member of the Masonic fraternity of Greenfield Lodge No. 385.  Mr. James is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 855
JACOB JAMISON came to this county several years before its organization. Several years after his arrival he purchased laud situated about two miles southwest of the village of Washington, at which place he resided until his death. He was a good citizen, a kind neighbor, but unfortunately had an ungovernable temper. Shortly after locating in the county, while living in its northeastern part, he got into a serious difficulty with a neighbor, and was thrice stabbed in the breast with a dirk in the hands of his antagonist. The wound inflicted was a severe one and it was at first supposed that it was mortal, but after being confined to his couch two months he recovered. He was elected successively to the offices of justice of the peace, collector, commissioner and associate judge, serving faithfully and satisfactorily.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 242
Jasper Twp. -
ABLE H. JANES, farmer, is a son of William and Mary Janes, and was born Feb. 11, 1839.  He was married, Feb. 7, 1867, to Miss Almeda Hays, daughter of Morgan Hays, of Paint Township, this county.  Three children, William M., Cass G., and Jennie P., are the result of this union.
     Mr. Janes has a farm of two hundred acres, well improved, one mile south of West Lancaster, on the Dayton and Southeastern Railroad.  He enlisted in Company H, 60th O. V. I., Aug. 9, 1862, and served until the entire company was captured at Harper's Ferry, from which place they went to Chicago, where they were mustered out.  He was first sergeant of Company D, 168th O. N. G., from May 1863, until Sept. 10, 1864, when an honorable discharge was duly granted.  He is a stalwart Republican, and a highly respected citizen.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 730
Jefferson Twp. -
EVAN L. JANES, farmer, Jeffersonville, is a son of William P. and Mary (Mock) Janes, he a native of Virginia, she of Ohio, - who were married in this county about 1829, and had a family of thirteen children, eight of whom are living.
     Our subject, the fifth of the family, was born Dec. 7, 1840, hi this township, where he was reared, educated, and Mar. 17, 1869, was married to Miss Maggie Squire, a daughter of Nathaniel Squire, of Paint Township, and one of the pioneers of this county.  Rev. Mills Gardner officiated.  The result of this union is two children: Harry L., and Grace G.
     Mr. Janes
has a farm of eighty-five and one-half acres, situated at the east line of Jefferson.  Aug. 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, 90th O. V. I., and was discharged at Camp Dennison, June 21, 1862.  In 1878 he was elected township trustee, and has served almost two terms; holds the office at present.  Is a highly respected and prominent citizen in his township.  Mrs. Janes is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 690
Marion Twp. -
JOHN JEFFERSON, farmer, is a son of Leonard Jefferson, who was born on the eastern shore of Maryland, and whose father came from England with six brothers.  He was married in Maryland, to Barbara Nichols, whose ancestors came from Germany, and who was born Sept. 25, 1781.  They had six children: Hamilton, born Jan. 23, 1808; Elizabeth, born May 20, 1810; Mary Ann, born Feb. 21, 1813; Phoebe, born Dec 2, 1815; William, born Nov. 22, 1818; John, born Nov. 2, 1821.  Mary, Phoebe, and William, are deceased.  Hamilton formerly lived in Illinois, but now resides in the far West.  Elizabeth, widow of Isaac Fisher, lives in London, Ohio.
     The family came to Ross County in 1810, and in 1812 (during the war) kept tavern at Slate Mills, under the name of "Rodgers' Tavern."  They removed to this county in 1822, and settled in Madison Township, on a branch of Wolf Run.  They took six teams and men with them, and erected a cabin at once.  Wolves abounded, hence the name of the stream.  He was a farmer, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a class-leader, and exhorter.  His wife was a member of the same church, and both were consistent Christians.  He was one of the first of those who prohibited the use of whisky at house and barn raisings.
     Our subject was born in Ross County, and came to this county with his parents when one year of age.  He lived on the old homestead forty-five years, and then came to his present home.  Was married, Oct. 31, 1844, to Harriet A., daughter of Robert Gibson, a native of Kentucky.  She was born in this township, May 24, 1821.  They had seven children; those living are Robert G., Rebecca J., James H., William F., Harley L.; Edgar M., and an infant, are deceased.  He displayed his patriotism during the late war by giving financial aid.  He and his family are members of the Bloomingburg Presbyterian Church.  He is a Republican, but does not aspire to office.  Owns three hundred acres of land on the Columbus pike, seven miles from Washington.   It is adorned by a handsome residence, and is one of the most desirable farms in the county.  He has lived here many years, and has assisted in making the many changes.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 905
Jefferson Twp. -
ROBERT W. JENKINS, farmer, Jeffersonville, is a native of this county, and was married to Miss Mary Irion, also a native of this county, Mrs. Jenkins died, in 1858.  They reared a family of four children on the farm where our subject now lives, and where he was born.  He has a farm, of one hundred and seven acres, situated three miles southeast of Jeffersonville, on the Washington pike.  Mr. Jenkins and son, Thomas C., are members of the Patrons of Husbandry.
     Our subject's father, Jacob, came to this county, in 1812; while on the way, was drafted to serve in the war of 1812; but hired a substitute, and came on to this county, where he died in 1859.  Thomas A. served three years in Company C, 90th O. V. I., was wounded in the right foot at Jonesboro, Georgia, for which he was discharged.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 690
Jefferson Twp. -
LEVI JENKS, farmer, Edgefield, a native of this county, was born Oct. 10, 1821.  Oct. 15, 1840, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Sanderson.  They have eight children living: Ruth, Smith, Taylor, Solomon, Jane, Leander, John, and Sherman.  Three are deceased: Harvey, Charles, and one who died in infancy.
     Mr. Jenks has a farm of three hundred acres, well improved, situated two and one-half miles west of West Lancaster, where he lives, and fifty-four acres in Greene County.  This is the result of his own industry and good management.  He assisted in driving the noted Morgan from Ohio, and placed a substitute in the actual service during the war.  Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     His father (Sylvester) was born in Virginia about 1819, and died in this county, Oct. 7, 1834.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 691
Jefferson Twp. -
BENJAMIN F. JOHNSON, farmer, is a son of John L. Johnson, a native of Highland County, who came to Greene County when a young man, where he married Miss Elizabeth Watson (our subject's mother), and lived the remainder of his life, dying Jan. 31, 1865.  Mrs. Johnson is still living.
     Our subject was born Apr. 4, 1845, in Greene County, where he married Miss Louisa Jackson, who has borne him three children:  Clara E., Jennie M., and Etta L.  The latter died at the early age of five years.  Mrs. Johnson died Sept. 29, 1871.  He then married Miss Mary A. Knapp, Jan. 10, 1873.  He has a farm of seventy-eight acres, situated two and a half miles northwest of Jeffersonville.  He was elected trustee of this township in 1879, and served two years.  He and his wife are members of the Disciple Church.  They are good neighbors, and respected citizens.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 691
Concord Twp. -
CALEB H. JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, Seldon, is the son of William Johnson, who was one of the pioneers of this county, whose biography more fully appears elsewhere in this book.  Mr. Johnson is the brother of Thomas G. and Isaac M. Johnson, whose biographies also appear in this work.  He was born in Green Township, Mar. 29, 1829, and consequently is in the fifty-third year of his age.  He married Nancy Row, daughter of Andrew and Hester Row, Nov. 16, 1850.  Her parents are now dead.  They lived two years on a farm after their marriage, when they resolved on a trip to California.  In November, 1852, they started on their journey.  At the end of thirty days they reached the great Sacramento Valley, where they remained for six years, engaged principally in farming, raising as high as a hundred bushels of barley to the acre; of wheat, sixty bushels per acre.  The great valley was but sparsely settled at this early day, mining being the absorbing interest of the county.   Four months their nearest neighbor was four miles away.  All nationalities and classes of people roving over the mountains and valleys, making life and property unsafe; but most heroically did Mrs. Johnson bear up amid all of these discouragements.  She was the first woman who went from this county to California, and so far as known was the first woman who crossed the isthmus on a mule.  Their career in California was an eventful one, filled with incidents, many of which are quite thrilling.
     After their return to Ohio, they settled on a farm which he purchased from Thomas Mattucks, two miles west of the village of Staunton, on the road leading form Staunton to Sabina and Greenfield pike.  They remained on this for twenty-one years, when they sold out and purchased what is known as the Milton Serers farm, containing one hundred and thirty acres, in Concord Township, one-half a mile south of the village of Jasper, on the waters of Sugar Creek.  They moved to this farm in March, 1880, where they now reside.
     Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were without children until after their return from California.  They now have two, one son and a daughter.  John Row the son, is a sprightly boy fifteen years old.  Jenny Riggs is a lovely, bright girl, several years younger than her brother.
     Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are genial and kind, having seen much of life in California and elsewhere.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 748
Perry Twp. -
ISAAC M. JOHNSON, farmer and stock raiser, is a son of William and Jane B. Johnson, who came in an early day from Virginia, and settled in Heller's Bottom, on Paint Creek, Ross County, Ohio, where they remained for twenty-seven years, when they removed to Fayette County, and settled on the old Jesse Rowe farm, on the waters of the Wabash, where he died about 1833.  Mrs. Johnson died in March, 1880, being in her ninetieth year.  They were the parents of the following children: Thomas G., married, and lives in Iowa; William, married, moved to Indiana, and died; John, married, and died at the age of twenty-two; George, married, and lives in Iowa; Sophia, wife of Martin Rowe, whose biography appears in this work; Otho, married, went to Illinois, and was killed by a railroad accident at Toledo Junction; Hinton married moved to Illinois, and is dead; Eliza, wife of John Mitchner, lives in Staunton; Caleb H., married, and lives in Concord Township; Mary A., married to Eli Johnson (no kin), and lives in Leesburg, Highland County, Ohio; Anna, married to William Pavey, but is dead; Issac M., the subject of this sketch.
     Our subject was born in Fayette County, Sept. 9, 1823, and was married to Miss Casander Dick, daughter of John Dick, Oct. 8, 1846.  They were the parents of four children, two sons and two daughters: Jane Josephine, married, and lives in this county; Mary Lorena, married, and lives in Staunton; Scott, died when but two years of age; Henson D., a single, and at home on the farm with his father.
     Mrs. Johnson died in the fall of 1855, and about one year afterward Mr. Johnson married for his second wife Leann Clauson, daughter of William Clauson, residing near New Holland.  They are without children.  Mrs. Johnson is a most excellent woman, but does not enjoy first-class health.  Mr. Johnson purchased what was known as the Jenkins farm, in the spring of 1849, and soon settled on the same, where he still remains.  His farm contains three hundred and seventy-eight acres, situated on the pike leading from Washington to Greenfield, about midway between the towns.  They live in a magnificent brick house, with a lovely yard and surroundings, on the south side of the pike.  Mr. Johnson is one of the well to-do farmers of Fayette County.  He was out in the army for four months, and was taken prisoner by Morgan's forces at Cynthiana, Kentucky, but was soon released.  In politics he is a life-long Republican; in religion, a Methodist.
     Some eight years ago a very interesting orphan girl was placed in the family of Mr. Johnson (Miss Ellen Brown, daughter of the late Dr. Brown, of Martinsburg,) by her grandfather, who requested Mr. and Mrs. Johnson to take charge of her, and raise her to womanhood.  She was but seven years old at the time.  She proved to be a very interesting girl; so amiable and sweet-spirited that Mr. Johnson and family became very greatly attached to her - indeed, they loved her as though she was a member of the family by blood, and especially was this the case with Mrs. Johnson.  Some two years ago Ellen died a triumphant death, believing, with all her heart, in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Such was Mrs. Johnson's love and affection for this dear orphan girl, that she weeps, as only a pure woman can weep, when she talks of Ellen Brown's life and death.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 808
Marion Twp. -
JOHN JOHNSON, SR., son of Samuel Johnson, was born in Pendleton County, Virginia, where he married Sallie, daughter of Jacob Harper, who bore him nine children, six sons and three daughters, those surviving being: Salley Ann Stookey, living in New Holland; Abbie, widow of William Woods, now residing in Indiana, and John.  The latter was born in 1801, in Pendleton County, Virginia, and when seven years of age came to this state, with his parents, and settled in Ross County, then one vast wilderness, with few white settlements, and chiefly inhabited by Indians.  Twelve years later they came to Fayette County, settling in Marion Township, and in about 1830, located on the farm now in the possession of our subject, where his father died; his mother died at the residence of her son-in-law, in Ross County.
     Our subject was married, Jan. 2, 1824, to Nancy Parker, the result being ten children:  Aaron, Jesse, Sarah Ann, Mary J., Catherine, and Emily Ann, now living; Mary Ann, Margaret, Sarah Ann and Mary Jane, deceased.  Jesse resides with his father; Aaron lives in New Holland; Rebecca is now Mrs. Lennox Campbell, and lives in Washington; Catherine is the wife of Abner Briggs, and Emma  is married to Abner Rowe, of Ross County.
     Mr. Johnson has lived on his present farm since the age of twenty-eight years, and at present owns three hundred and eighty five acres of land, well improved, and located on "Johnson's Crossing."  He and wife are members of the Fairview German Baptist Church, and strive to obey the Master's will.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 906
Union Twp. -
SOLOMON F. JOHNSON, coal dealer and farmer, is the son of Thomas T. and Mary Johnson, who were natives of Virginia; but came with their parents to this state, in an early day, when they were quite young.  His father first settled in Greene County and his mother in Warren County.  After their marriage they removed to Springfield, Illinois, where they remained some three years; when they removed to the State of Indiana and remained a short time, then they returned to Ohio and settled in Fayette County, where the mother died, at the age of seventy-two, and the father at the advanced age of eighty.  They were the parents of seven children, four daughters and three sons.  Anna, married to Simeon Creamer, now deceased.  She remains a widow and lives near the line of Clinton and Fayette counties.  Rachel died at the age of twelve.  Amos Thornburg, married and lives in Jacksonville, Oregon.  Martha was unmarried, and died in Springfield, Illinois, at the age of eighteen.  Lydia married for her first husband Wesley Creamer, and after his deceased, she married Mathias Sheeley for her second husband.  She is a resident of this county.  William Todd married and moved to the State of Iowa some years ago.
     Solomon F., the subject of this sketch, was born near Paintersville, Green County, Ohio, Dec. 31, 1824.  He married Miss Mary Creamer, July 19, 1846, daughter of Simeon and Elizabeth Creamer of this county.  The mother died in 1842, and the father in 1865.  Mrs. Johnson descends from a most excellent family.  Mr. Johnson was engaged in the mercantile business in Jamestown, Greene County, Ohio, from 1846 to 1849, when he sold out his mercantile business and moved to this county, where he has continuously resided until the present time.
    Mr. Johnson spent several years, after his removal to this county, in farming, and selling goods and groceries in Jeffersonville and West Lancaster.
     In 1857, he moved to Washington, and was engaged in the grain and grocery business until April, 1858, when he became deputy sheriff of the county, which office consumed his time up to August 1860, when on the third day of that month, he was appointed station agent for the town of Washington, by the Cincinnati, Wilmington and Zanesville Railroad Company, now known as the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railroad.  In a very short time after his appointment as railroad agent, he was appointed agent of the Adams Express Company, which position he held for some fourteen years.  Mr. Johnson held the position of railroad agent, at Washington, for seventeen years; resigning Aug. 3, 1877.
     In 1862, he commenced the selling of coal in Washington, and has continued in the business up to the present time.  For many years he was the only dealer in coal in the town, and few men here handled so large an amount of coal as has Mr. Johnson.  The year previous to Mr. Johnson's commencing the coal business, only forty five car loads of coal were required to supply the trade of the town.  Mr. Johnson has seen such an increase in the coal demand, that more than one thousand car loads have been disposed of in a single reliable business man; giving strict attention to business, and as a result has accumulated quite an amount of valuable property.  He owns a fine farm of one hundred and fifty acres adjoining the town, west, on the C. & M. V. Railroad.  Also, a very fine new brick residence, where he resides, on North Street, between Court and East streets; also, quite a number of valuable pieces of property in the town; as well as some fifty-nine hundred dollars of bank stock, in the Peoples and Drovers Bank of the town.
     Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are the parents of nine children, five of whom are deceased:  Theresa and Willie died in infancy, Clara Bell at the age of twelve, Laura at the age of fifteen, and Nellie at the age of twelve.
     Theodore Frank is a young man of much promise.  He remains single and takes good care not to leave his mother's bed and board.  He has been connected with the Peoples and Drovers Bank of Washington for a number of years, and is regarded as a safe, upright business young man.  He received his education in the schools of the town.
     Lucy May  and Emma Cary, are young ladies, both single and at home with their parents; both being graduates of the high school of the town, and much respected by all.
     Charley Card is a lad of eighteen, attending school, and during vacation assisting his father in the coal business.
     In politics Mr. Johnson is a Republican.  In religion, a Quaker.  He is a Freemason, being a member of Lodge No. 107, of this town.
     Mrs. Johnson is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 607
Perry Twp. -
JOSEPH S. JONES, physician and surgeon, New Martinsburg, Ohio, is the son of Robert P. and Nancy (Smith) Jones, natives of Berkeley County, Virginia, but reared in Ohio.  Robert Jones, the grandfather of this subject, came to Ohio in the year 1809, bringing a family of two sons and eight daughters.  He settled permanently near Bainbridge, Ross County.  His sons, Wells and Robert, became permanent and prominent citizens of that section.  Robert, the father of our subject, still lives on the homestead farm in Ross County.  Wells died in 1863, leaving one son and five daughters.  Robert is the father of six sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to mature years.  Mary married Jeffrey Higgins.  Wells married Lizzie KincaidNancy married James Smith.  Robert married Margaret Moon.  William married Mary Core.  James married Sarah Greenfield John married Sarah Hamilton.  Robert and Mary are deceased.
     Joseph S. Jones was born in Ross County, Ohio, Aug. 1, 1827.  He gave the greater part of his early years to farm labor, and endured a full share of the trials and difficulties of the early times.  His school advantages were such as were offered by the district schools of the neighborhood.  He however applied himself with more than ordinary diligence, fitting himself for the vocation of a teacher.  In the year 1850, he began reading medicine with Drs. Bittler and Little, of Cynthiana, Ohio, and attended lecture courses, in 1851-2, at Starling Medical College, Columbus, and in June, 1852, began the practice of his profession in New Martinsburg, where, with the exception of the years from 1855 to 1861, he has since been ministering to the afflicted of this locality.  During the years excepted he was located at Jasper, Pike County.
     He was married, Oct. 11, 1855, to Eliza J., daughter of Richard L. and Melinda (Turnipseed) Williams, of Ross County.  Mrs. Jones was born Apr. 20, 1835. Her father's people came from Virginia, and settled near Chillicothe some years previous to her birth.  Mr. Williams was a skillful stone-cutter, and in his early life helped construct the locks on the Ohio Canal.  In later years he sold goods in New Martinsburg, from 1845 to 1878. 
     To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Jones nine children have been born: William H., Mary E., Charles, Wells S., Robert R., Laura M.,  Joseph S. jr., Alonzo N., and Lizzie, all of whom are living.
     Dr. Jones has had remarkable success in his profession, having had twenty-nine years of constant practice, which is extensive and substantial.  In politics he adheres to the Republican party, and has missed but one election since he became a voter.  He is a member of Wilstach Lodge No. 368, I. O. O. F., of New Martinsburg, and has tilled, at various times, each of its several offices.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 810
NOTES:
 

 

 

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FAYETTE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights