A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Hamilton County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

PLEASE NOTE:   There may be some articles of death news on these other pages herein.

Source: CONNEAUT GAZETTE - Conneaut, Ohio,
Thursday, March 28, 1839 - Whole No. 366

Major Morgan Neville, well known in the literary world died on the 23th ult. at Cincinnati.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Morning News - Cincinnati
Dated: June 11, 1847
Nehemiah H. Dayton, aged 23 years, of Weston, Ct., boat steerer of ship New England, of this port, was killed by falling between the ship and a whale, on NWCoast, July 2, 1846
James Mahon, aged 25 years, of N. Y., seaman, of the same ship, died at sea in April, 1846
James Giles, aged 24 years, of N. Y., was lost overboard from the same ship.
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, Ohio
Dated: Oct. 26, 1850
Death on the Plains
The St. Louis Republican gives the deaths that have been reported at Fort Laramie during the summer.  The number of names given is 262; many more deaths are said to have occurred, but not reported.  The record was kept and furnished by the officers at the Fort.  We give the names from Ohio and Indiana, contained in the Melancholy record:
M. JAMES, Cincinnati, Ohio, died June 7th, 70 miles west of Ft. Kearney, aged 30 years.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: The Western Christian Advocate, Cincinnati, O.
Wednesday, Jan. 9, 1861
BEALL, Rev. Isaac I. born Fairfield Co., Ohio Sept. 18, 1823.  Grandparents came from England and were among the early settlers in Maryland.  In 1801 his parents emigrated to Ohio and settled in Fairvield Co.  A sister had died earlier.  He taught school in Rushville, O.  Preached Zanesville District.  Married Miss Martha Zearing who is now left to mourn her entire family.  Rev. Beall died 27Oct. 1860 of "putrid sore throat".  This epidemic had made a violent attack on his family.  On Oct. 16, his youngest son, Eddy I. Beall died age 3 yrs, 9 mos. 16 da.  On 19 same month Otho Z. Beall his oldest son died age 6 yrs. 4 mos. 20 da.  Aged mother and wife survive.  He was of Cincinnati Conference.
David Reed.

WILLIAMS, Mary at residence of her son William near Patriot, Gallia Co., Ohio, Oct. 25.  Age 84 years. Born in Maryland, Sept. 20, 1776 moved with parents to Greenbrier Co., Va. when a child.  Married to William Williams 1795.  Moved to Gallia Co., Ohio in 1817.  Had cancer of face.  Leaves 4 children.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source:  The Western Christian Advocate, Cincinnati, O.
Jan. 16, 1861
POWERS, HON. BENJAMIN F. born Vermont 1793 moved to Cincinnati in 1816.  Resided in Cincinnati until 1832 engaged chiefly in practice of legal profession for several years.  Editor of Cincinnati Gazette.  In 1832 moved to Troy, Miami Co., Ohio where he died Nov. 20, 1860.  Was auditor and probate judge while a citizen of Troy.  His brother was the celebrated sculptor, Hiram Powers.
J. F. Marley

EVANS, DAVID C. died Dec. 7, 1860.  Born April 30, 1819 Jackson Co., Ohio an affectionate husband and kind father.  Liver and pulmanary disease.
E. I. Jones

HONNOLD, JACOB in Muskingum Co., Ohio Nov. 9, 1860 in 86 year of his age.  Born in Pa. July 23, 1775.  In 1783 moved with parents to virginia.  In 1799 married to Abigail Shipman.  Joined Church in 1805 and in same year moved to St. Clairsville, Belmont Co., Ohio.  He lived in Belmont Co. six years and in 1812 moved to Guernsey Co.   Joined Society of the Brill Meeting House.  Moved from Guernsey to Muskingum in 1816.  Raised 9 children.  Adamsville Circle.
John Huston
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: The Western Christian Advocate, Cincinnati, O
Wednesday, Jan. 23, 1861
WALKER, James died Franklin Co., Ohio Georgeville, Dec. 6, 1860 in the 91 year of his age and 55th yr. in Meth. Church.  Born near Charlestown, Va. Nov. 7, 1770.  Removed to Ohio and settled Ross Co. at the mouth of Deer Creek.  Joined Methodist Episcopal Church 1806.  Removed to Franklin Co., Ohio in 1812.
L. Hall
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: The Western Christian Advocate, Cincinnati, O.
Dated:  Jan. 23, 1861

THATCHER, MRS. SARAH died at Brunersburg, Defiance Co., Ohio, Nov. 2-, 1860.  Wife of Rev. William thatcher of the Central Ohio Conference.  Was born in Washington Co., Pa. in 1812.  Came quite young to Ohio.  In 1837 married to Bro. Thatcher.  Brought up children in admonition of the Lord.  Husband said, "You will meet your dear Ranson (their babe) in Heaven".  Left husband and 5 children.

MARCH, HENRY J. died Dec. 24, 1860.  Born Maine 1795.  Came to Ohio in 1817 -- settled Ross County.  Brought up in Presbyterian Church but having moved to Highland Co.,  joined Methodist Church in 1840.  Died age 65 years.
E. H. Field
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Quincy Whig - Illinois
Dated: July 20, 1868
     Mrs. HOOKER, wife of Gen. Joseph HOOKER, of Cincinnati, died at Watertown, N. Y., on Wednesdaylast.  She was married about two years ago to her distinguished husband, and shortly after went to Europe for the benefit of the health of the latter, but a few weeks since returned with her own completely broken down.
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Aug. 11, 1869
     The mortuary report of the Health officer, made yesterday, shows that the officer himself calls "the agreeable" fact, what the number of deaths during the month of July was less by one-third than during the corresponding time last year.  It is certainly quite comfortable to reflect that as the city increases in population its death rate diminishes.  Perhaps if DeSoto had come to the banks of the Ohio, instead of spending his time among Floridan waters, he might have found the fountain of everlasting youth.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: The Philadelphia Inquirer - Pennsylvania
Date: Feb. 5, 1872

(Mortuary Notice)
An Express Robber Shot.
CINCINNATI, Feb. 3. - A man, giving his name as James Trimble, attempted to rob Adams' express car, on the Pan Handle route, this morning but was discovered by the armed guard, who fired upon and wounded him. Trimble, who says he was formerly brakeman on the road, was brought here and placed in the hospital.

Sad Occurrence.
CINCINNATI, Feb. 4 - Two young ladies, named Mary and Kate Daly, while crossing the Ohio river this evening, broke the ice and were drowned.

Hon. Hocking H. Hunter died this morning at Lancaster, aged 71 years.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Date: July 23, 1874
George T. Earhart, the old time friend of Henry Libby, learned day before yesterday of the latter's death on the 21st of June last, at the residence of his family, Portland, Maine, of inflamatory rheumatism. Libby's sufferings were acute and long continued. The news of his death comes as a piece of sad tidings to the many who knew and loved him in Hamilton.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CORLISS - Eleanor, youngest daughter of Daniel G. and Jennie H. Corliss
Funeral from the residence of the parents, Spring Grove avenue and Colerain pike, Thursday, the 23d at 3 p.m. Friends of the family invited to attend.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CARNEY - On Tuesday, July 21, at 1 1/2 o'clock p.m., after a short and severe illness, Molly B. Carney, wife of James Carney, aged 19 years and 3 months.
Funeral from the residence, No. 65 York street, on Thursday morning, July 23, at 8 o'clock. High mass at St. Xavier Church at 9 o'clock. Friends of the family are invited.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HOPPER - Tuesday, July 21st, at 9 a.m., Alice May, daughter of Hiram and Abby Hopper, aged 3 years and 2 months.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
O'DONNELL - On Tuesday morning, at 5 o'clock, Andrew William, youngest son of Patrick and Margaret O'Donnell, aged 5 years, 9 months and 25 days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
REYNOLDS - July 14, at 2 p.m., at the residence of her sister, Mrs. Wm. G. Wright, of St. Louis Co., Mo., Mrs. N. P. Reynolds, aged 58 years. [Lexington (Ky.) papers copy.]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JACKSON - Tuesday evening, July 21, at the residence of R. Woolley, Jr., 225 Dayton street, Charles G. Jackson, late of East Boston, Mass. [Boston and East Boston papers please copy.]
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH)  Page: 1
Dated: Wednesday Sept. 5, 1877
Died from His Injuries.
CINCINNATI,  September 5. - Chas. Leighton, injured in the Longworth street disaster Monday last, died today.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Sept. 7, 1877


     The following burial permits were issued Wednesday, September 6:
JOSEPH ALBRECHT, 1 yr., Eastern avenue
BERNARD WESSELER, 70 years, 449 Freeman street.
CHARLES REASENBERG, 14 months, Dane street
WILLIE TULLEY, 4 years, Whitler street
MATILDA CLEM, 6 weeks, 108 Eastern avenue
MARCELLA SWANK, 1 year, Eastern avenue
FRANK SENEDING, 2 years, 60 Bremen street
MARGARET LEONARD, 67 years, St. Mary's Hospital
GEORGE KELLERMAN, 2 weeks, 670 Plum street
GERTRUDE DIERKERS, 17 months, 42 Pierson street
MARY MCDONOUGH, 18 months, 28 German street
JAMES HAGAN, 28 years, Fulton avenue
CLARA M. LEAHY, 1 year, 132 Baymiller street
ELIZA KOEHLER, 3 days, 27 Longworth street
CHARLES LYDON 50 years, 142 Water street

Near Lockland, Ohio, September 6, of typhoid fever, CLARA SHEPARD, sixth and youngest daughter of JAMES and ELIZABETH SHEPHERD, aged 18 years, 4 months and 24 days.
     Funeral Sunday, September 9, at 11 o'clock a.m.  Friends are invited to attend.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: May 6, 1878

TROY, N. Y., May 4 - The funeral of John Morrisey took place today by an immense concourse of people.
     The entire Senate, with Lieutenant Governor Dorsheimer and a delegation of Assemblymen, were present.
     Bishop McNierny, of Albany, assisted at the religious services, which were participated in by a number of clergymen.
    KING - At the residence of his mother, Oak street, West Walnut Hills, on Friday, MAy 3, at 4:30 a.m., Rufus KING, Jr., aged 32, son of Thomas W. King, deceased.
     Funeral service at 2 1/2 p.m., Monday, May 6, at Episcopal Church, Evans street, Mt. Auburn.  Friends invited.  Burial private.
(Columbus (O.) Journal, Boston Advertaiser and Post and New York Herald and Tribune please copy.)
Man and Wife Drowned.
CHEYENNE, WY. May 5 - By the capsizing of a boat in the lake two miles north of this city this evening, Mr. Vandycke and wife were drowned.  The bodies were recovered, the wife clasped in her husband's arms.
The funeral of the late Mr. B. B. Burton took place from St. John's P. E. Church, of which the deceased was a prominent member, yesterday afternoon.  The Right Rev. Thomas A. Jaggar, D. D., Bishop of the diocese of Southern Ohio, conducted the service, assisted by Rev. Mr. NORTON, Rev. Mr. Gray, and Rev. Mr. Ray.  An unusual interest was manifested in the solemn occasion, the church being filled to the utmost capacity of its sittings.  Bishop Jaggar's discourse was brief of earnest.  He said that it was always seemed to him when he stood before those whom we call dead that human words were almost intrusion; yet it was necessary, for there are so many who are slow to learn the lessons death teaches so very man y who keep on thinking that it is all of life to live, and all of death to die.  Today, however, words of cheer could be uttered.  Have you ever thought, he continued, of the meaning of the order of sentences in our service for the dead?  The idea is that Christ walks at the head of the procession, and 'tis He who says "I am the Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, even though he be dead, yet shall he live."  The remains of the dead one are carried after, and he testifies, "I known that my Redeemer liveth," and the mourners breathe through their tears the language of resignation, "The Lord gave the Lord hath taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord." the words are not a dirge, but a triumphal song.  They are sad only because of association with our griefs.  Then followed a contrast between the view of death in the ancient Pagan world when "snatched away" was inscribed upon the tomb, and that of today when our cemeteries are God's acres where the loved ones sleep.  This, our Christian friend; he said, is not dead but merely passed away; has corruptible has put on Incorruption, and his mortal immortality.  We have this confidence, because "I know that my Redeemer liveth." was his testimony.  Not "a" Redeemer, but his Redeemer.  Parting words are precious; we cherish their memory, but a testimony on the death bed is less precious than his made long years ago during his life at college.  It was not only the testimony of a public profession, but of his character;  for strict integrity marked his business career, and not only this, but also all the departments of his life.  He was an active member of the church until his last hour, and almost his last work was the drafting of a resolution on church matters.  After an address to the bereaved family, and an exhortation to the unconverted, the reverend speaker closed.  A long procession of carriages followed the remains to the cemetery.
     On Saturday the wholesale boot and shoe dealers held a meeting at the room of J. & A. Simpkinson & Co., and adopted a tribute of respect to his memory, and resolved to attend the funeral.
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: Sept. 23, 1879
Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette.
TROY, Sept. 22 - Yesterday evening a man named Peter KNOOP, hailing from Casstown, this county, was found on the street in advanced state of intoxication, and placed in the calaboose in City Hall.  This morning he was found dead, having expired sometime during the night, and his face had turned black.  Coroner KITZMILLER was summoned, and an autopsy held over the body, as the circumstances are considered somewhat suspicious.  KNOOP was a single man, about forty years of age, and had long been under the care of a guardian.  The results of one of the Coroner's investigations have not yet been made known.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Jan. 24, 1880
Wednesday morning suddenly of paralysis of the heart, Joseph Dunlap, at his residence, No. 60 Calhoun street, in his 64th year.
     Funeral at his residence, Sunday, January 25, at half past 2 p.m.
SNOW - On Thursday morning, January 22, at 6 o'clock, Henry Snow, aged 60 years.
     Funeral Saturday, January 24, at 2 p.m. from his late residence, Mt. Auburn.  Burial private.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Apr. 12, 1880
     Miss Emma Harris, after a painful illness of five weeks, breathed her last Saturday morning.  She was an estimable lady, and much beloved by all who knew her.  Her funeral took place yesterday afternoon, Rev. Conrey officiating.
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: May 29, 1880
Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette.
NEW ALBANY, May 28 - At noon to-day Mrs. Monroe, wife of the late Col. Henry Monroe, a mother of the pioneer days, and who helped make garments for the soldiers of the frontier army in the war of 1812, died after an illness of two yeas, aged eighty-nine years.
Death of Mrs. Charlotte Wright.
     Mrs. Charlotte C. Wright
, daughter of the late George W. Williams and widow of the late Wm. H. Wright, died at 6:30 yesterday morning.  She leaves one child, a grown daughter.  The deceased was a sister of Mr. Cort Williams, the well known attorney.  The funeral will take place from Lane Seminary on Sunday at 2 p.m., with private burial.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Feb. 14, 1881
and WEAVER Charged With His Murder in Custody/
     John LOGAN
, the man who was shot last Thursday night by John CROWN, on the corner of Longworth street and Central Avenue, died Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the City Hospital.  Coroner RENDIGS was notified, and after seeing the body, ordered Dr. ROTHAKER to hold a post mortem examination, which was done yesterday, afternoon between the hours of 2 and 4 o'clock.  As will be remembered, CROWN, who was arrested charged with the shooting, was released on $500 bail, furnishing as security George B. COX, Friday morning.  When it was announced that LOGAN was dead Sergeant RITTWEGER, of Ninth Street Station, arrested CROWN on a capias and lodged him in the Ninth Street Station charged with murder.  Lou. WEAVER, who was supposed to be connected with the commission of the crime, delivered himself to Lieut. REILLY Saturday, and was locked up on the same charge.  The post mortem examination developed the fact that the bullet entered the left side, and passing through the lungs, lodged on the right side near the ribs.  The inquest will be held this morning at 10 o'clock.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Feb. 14, 1881
Death of the Venerable Smith BETTS
, a Native of Cincinnati.
Mr. Smith BETTS
, who died last Saturday morning at 2 o'clock at the family residence, No. 28 Hopkins street, was one of the oldest pioneers of this city.  His father, William BETTS, was born in New Jersey, near Raleigh.  He left that State in 1795, and emigrated as far West as Brownsville, Pa.  His intention was to proceed further but he was deterred from his purpose on account of the reported depredations of the Indians in the Western wilds.  William BETTS, cultivated a farm near Brownsville until the year 1800, when he bartered it away for a consideration of iron, whisky, and horses.  He built two or three flatboats, and steering his way down the Ohio River, by a slow and tedious voyage reached Cincinnati, which was then known by the name of Losantiville.  His first step in his new location was to purchase a large farm from Mr. SYMMES, near Lebanon, O.  Here he settled with his family of twelve children, clearing the land and tilling the soil.  A plan cabin, with one door and one window, formed their dwelling.  In after days of prosperity, William would often recount how he used to shoot the wild turkeys, that were in great abundance, through the pigeon hole aperture that was covered with plain paper.  But the title to this farm proved defective, and Mr. SYMMES, in the honest style of those pioneer days, returned the purchase money.  William BETTS now came back to Cincinnati, where his son Smith, was born, July 3, 1806.  He was a brick manufacturer, and succeeded by thrift and enterprise in accumulating a considerable estate.  A peculiarity of old William was that as fast as he made his money he loaned it to a tavern keeper by the name of Joel WILLIAMSJoel was a great land owner, but he had no cash at all, so that when William demanded the returned of his loans, he was informed that in lieu of cash he might have a farm on Indian Creek, near the Miami River. Wm. BETTS was not pleased with the selection of land, and finally a bargain was struck by which he was to become the owner of a tract of land near the town.  This farm is now that portion of our city which extends from Chestnut to Liberty and from Central avenue to Freeman, and had in those days a special Indian name.  William subsequently made arrangements to purchase the site where now stands the Cincinnati Hospital, but while negotiations were pending he died, in May, 1815.  He had twelve children, one of his sons having been drowned in the Ohio River when thirteen or fourteen years of age.
     Smith BETTS, the subject of this obituary, assisted his father at an early age in the occupation of brickmaking, and when twenty-one years of age married a Miss Anne Toy, who had been a resident of New Jersey, but was living in Cincinnati a few years before her marriage.  From this alliance came five children, Emily, Phoebe Anne, Joseph Wallace, Martha and Amanda.  All these children died in their infancy excepting Joseph Wallace who departed this life August 11, 1879.  Mrs. BETTS, nee TOY, died in 1836.  Her husband carried on the manufacture of brick, and succeeded in amassing a considerable fortune.  In 1840 he retired with a compency.  From 1834 to 1835 the large paternal estate, which had then grown into very valuable property, was divided among the BETTS children, the sons receiving all the real estate, and the daughter all the cash.  Smith BETTS built a small frame for a dwelling in 1827, on exactly the same site where the present family residence is located, and where he died.  He lived in the frame until 1853, and then substituted the present house for it.  In 1848 he married Cynthia A. Young, a resident and native of Cincinnati.  The children from this marriage, who are living, are Helen B. Jasiewicz, Stanley Smith BETTS, and Charles BETTS.
     Mr. Smith BETTS
in his early days was a member of the Presbyterian Church, though in after life he did not affiliate himself with any particular denomination.  He was a prominent Mason of Cynthia Lodge, McMillan Chapter, and was initiated into Odd Fellowship, though he never participated actively in the business of the order.  In 1870 he became afflicted with rheumatism, and in 1874 sustained an attack of partial paralysis, which crippled him completely, so that for the past seven years he was not able to be on his feet.  Dr. Wm. Clendenm attended him on his last illness.  He was a man of strong will and great determination.  On Wednesday morning he was determined to make an effort to walk about in his room, and when he found his complete inability, he quietly remarked that his time was come and that he was ready to die.  Of the original BETTS family of twelve children, six of whom were sons, only one survives, Mr. Isaac BETTS, on College Hill, who is in his seventy-third year.  The funeral services on tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock will be conducted by the Rev. Mr. WHITE, pastor of the Poplar Street Presbyterian Church.  The Masons will attend and bury him with full Masonic rites.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: November 3, 1881
THROOP - On Monday afternoon, October 31, Everett S. Throop, 45 years of age.
     Funeral Services at his late residence, No. 353 West Fourth street, on Thursday afternoon, November 3, at 2 o'clock.  Burial private.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Death of Mr. Jonathan Chapman, of Boston, Mass.
From the Boston Advertiser, Oct. 31.
     Jonathan Chapman (H. U., 1856), son of the former Mayor of Boston of that name, died at Brookline, Mass., October 28.  His mother, Lucinda Dwight Chapman, is of the well known Dwight family of Springfield, Mass.  He was born in Boston March 11, 1836, was fitted for college at the Boston Latin School in part, and chiefly at Phillips Academy, Exeter, and graduated at Harvard in 1856, where his father had graduated in 1825.  In 1862, while in the business house of J. C. Howe & Co., in Philadelphia, he was appointed Acting Assistant Paymaster in the United States Navy, and served as such until March, 1865.  He then settled in Cincinnati, where he was Treasurer of the White Star Valley Railroad of Indiana until 1870, when he became connected as clerk with the Indianapolis, Cincinnati & Lafayette Railroad, and so remained until his last illness.  He married, November 5, 1867, Miss Ellen Irvin, of Campbell County, Ky., who, with a son ten years of age, survive him.  His honored mother, residing at Brookline, Mass., also survives him.  Mr. Chapman had been very ill for over a year with an abscession the walls of his chest, and was removed last May from Cincinnati to Brookline in the hope of his improvement.  His death will be mourned by a large circle of friends, both in Cincinnati and Boston, and with especial sadness by his Cambridge classmates.  His funeral takes place at Mount Auburn Chapel at noon today (Monday).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Whose Story the Police are Not Inclined to Believe
A Tragedy That Wound Up a Long Course of Wholesale Dissipation by a Drunken Family - A Father's Death During a Quarrel with His Son Over the Getting of Means for Drink.
Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette,
NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - The presence of the Coroner at 126 Monroe street was demanded this afternoon by the police of the Seventh Precinct, to hold an inquest on Francis Weiligman, aged fifty-eight, a tailor, who the brief announcement sent by the police said, "had been killed by his son Henry this afternoon."
     Henry Weiligman was a prisoner at Madison Street Station, self-accused of the murder, and, despite his confession and acknowledged bad character, there is some doubt as to the correctness of the statement, especially as the young man is in a state closely bordering on delirium tremens.
     The Weiligman family consisted of four persons, father, mother, and two sons, of whom one, the only sober member of the family, is employed in a Division street pawn shop.  The other three are in a state of constant intoxication.  Henry, the youngest son, twenty-three years old, has been arrested and sent to Blackwell's Island more than once for theft and drunkenness.  The father at one time had been a cutter in the employ of  Brooks Bros., but was ruined by drink.  His wife also drank.  The family is said to be of Danish descent.  But the name suggests German nationality.  Weiligman found employment in a Brooklyn clothing store of late, when not drunk, bur for more than a week had not been at work.
     Monday the family were ordered to leave their rooms on the second floor of the five story tenement house at No. 126 Monroe street, as they had not paid the rent.  The Weiligmans began to move their scanty effects but finding the labor too burdensome, Mrs. Weiligman on Tuesday sent for a junkman, and sold him all the belongings for $10.  With his sum she went away to call upon some friends up town.  The tailor and youngest son, finding themselves alone, and without means of obtaining more run, quarreled all day.  That night they slept on the bare boards of the room, from which the junkman had removed all the furniture.
     This morning Henry Weiligman was dispatched to Brooklyn to collect $3 by the tailor.  He returned empty handed, and the quarrelling was renewed.  No sound of a struggle was heard, but at 2 o'clock Mrs. Daly, who lived on the first floor, was accosted by Henry Weiligman, who was walking leisurely down stairs, who remarked as he passed her, "I have just killed my father."  The woman in consternation, sent for the janitor, Mr. Brady, who ran into the tailor's room and found him dead on the floor, with a cloth wrapped around his neck.  Starting after the son he overtook him at the corner of the next street, and asked him where he was going.  "To the police station," answered the young man.  "I have killed my father.  I strangled him with a string."
     The two went together to the station, where the young man repeated his statements.  He said he wanted money which his father could not or would not give him, and in the quarrel that followed he strangled his father with a rope.
     The young man was taken to the Essex Market Court and committed by Justice Flammer to await examination and the Coroner's inquest.  In court he was seized with an illness that resembled the early stages of delirium tremens.
   The police do not believe that Weiligman killed his father.  There was no rope around the tailor's neck, and no mark of one or any evidence of a struggle.  The old man had had a stroke of paralysis, and it is not improbable that in the quarrel with his son he had a fresh attack and died.  The hallucination of the son would be easily account for by his condition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Special Dispatch to the Cincinnati Gazette.
CAMDEN, Nov. 2 - Eddie,  a nine year old son of Mr. William Pearson, living above town, hurt his hand while cracking nuts, and died from the effects of lockjaw that set in soon after.  His remains will be interred in Fairmount Cemetery to-day.

Source:  Cincinnati Commercial Tribune
Dated: Aug. 20, 1883
BEESLEY - August 17, 1883, at the residence of Gazza__ Gano, in Clifton, Harrison Beesley, in the 40th year of his age.
Funeral services at the residence, Monday, 20th instl, at _ o'clock p.m.  Interment in Spring Grove at 4 o'clock.
BABBITT - The funeral of Miss Lizzie Babbitt, whose departed this life Saturday evening will take place from her late home, on Price Hill.  Tuesday morning August 23?  Carriages will leave residence at 7:30 o'clock.  Requiem high mass at St. Laurence's Church, on Warsaw pike at 8 o'clock.
WERNER STEINBRECHER - August 18, at 7 a.m. of paralysis.  Hidwig, wife of F. Werner Service her. aged 62 years.
     Funeral services at residence, Southern avenue.  Mt. Auburn, this (Monday) afternoon at 3 o'clock.  Burial private.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: New York Herald
Dated: Feb. 10, 1888

     Ex-Congressman Benjamin Eggleston, of Cincinnati, Ohio, died yesterday at the Walnut Street House in that city.  For three years past he had been incapacitated for business by spinal affection, during which time he had resided with his brother in Hocking County, Ohio.  A sudden change in his condition required special treatment, for which he was taken a few days ago to Cincinnati.  Mr. Eggleston was born in Corinth, N. Y., Jan. 3, 1816.  He went when quite young to Cincinnati and engaged in commercial pursuits.  He served thirty years in the Cincinnati Common Council.  He was elected as a republican to the Thirty-ninth and Fortieth Congresses, served three terms in the Ohio State Senate and was always a prominent republican worker.  He was long the president of the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and for several years the proprietor of the Times newspaper of the city.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Daily Inter Ocean - Illinois
Dated: Aug. 21, 1889

     CINCINNATI, Ohio, Aug. 20 - Judge Henry C. Whitman died at his home in this city to-day.  Judge Whitman was distinguished for his legal attainments not less than for his high personal character and his pure life.  In 1853, just after the adoption of the present constitution of Ohio, he was a judge of the courts, and he traveled over the district which included the counties adjacent to Fairfield County.  Over a quarter of a century ago he removed to Cincinnati, where to the time of his last illness he was engaged in the practice of the law.  His early home was Lancaster, Ohio, where he was the young associate and friend of the great legal stars that clustered there a third of a century ago, comprising Thomas Ewing, Sr., Hocking Hunter, and Henry Stanberry.  He was a personal acquaintance and admirer of Henry Clay and had a legal acquaintance with Edwin M. Stanton, and was the intimate friend of Judge Allen G. Thurman.  In fact, few men were better known than he to the Ohio bar during his early manhood.  He was a little over 70 years old at the time of his death.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  St. Louis Republic (St. Louis, MO)  Vol.: 86  Page: 1
Dated:  Tuesday, June 5, 1894
W. H. McCreery
of St. Luis Suffers a Fatal Attack of Rheumatism.
Special to The Republic.
     Cincinnati, O.  June 4, - Wm. H. McCreery, giving St. Louis as his home, died at the Burnet House at 11:30 a.m. under regular circumstances McCreery came to Cincinnati a week ago on business and almost immediately became ill.  He told Clark Hussey that he was afflicted with inflammatory rheumatism and wanted Dr. Annie S. Yates of 148 West Eighth street called.  She sent back word that she could not come during office hours.  About Thursday he sent for her again but she did not come.
     This morning Hussey, Manager Zimmerman and others visited McCreery's room.  He said he was worse and wanted Dr. Mitchell.  As he was out of the city Dr. John M. Withrow was sent  for.  Then the sick man sent word down stairs that he wanted only Dr. Annie Yates and that until she came he did not want to be disturbed.  She sent word that she would call at 4 p.m.  Shortly afterward it was discovered that McCreery was dead.
     Coroner Querner was sent for and viewed the remains, rendering a verdict of death from natural causes.
     W. C. McCreery, who has an office in the Security Building, St. Louis, a brother of the dead man, was notified.
     William H. McCreery was well known this city, having had an office with his brother, Wayman C. McCreery, in the Security Building, on Fourth and Locust streets.  He was about 26 years old and a single man, residing with his brother at 3841 Westminster place.
     Information was obtained at the McCreery residence last night that the deceased had been ill for a number of years past suffering with rheumatism.  It is believed by his relatives in this city that his sudden death was due to a rheumatic attack of the heart.
     Wayman McCreery left last night over the Big Four for Cincinnati to take charge of the remains.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Grand Rapids Press (Grand Rapids, MI)  Page: 7
Dated:  Wednesday, Apr. 29, 1908
Traverse City Trained Nurse Was About to Be Married.
(Special to The Evening Press.)
     Cincinnati, April 29. - Death nipped a romance in the bud when Miss Madeline Westlund, a trained nurse of Traverse City, Mich., died here.  She was preparing her wedding trousseau and was to have been married next week to Walter G. Rose of Hamilton, O., whom she met only a few weeks ago when she came here to practice her profession.
     A quarrel with her sister, Mrs. Tina Lafousee of Traverse City, caused the young woman to come to Cincinnati.  She lived under the name of Margaret Roubert, but when she realized that death was near she revealed her identity.  The body was shipped to Traverse City today in response to a telegram from her sister.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights