A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Hamilton County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Source: Daily Ohio Statesman
Dated: May 15, 1851
     A delegation of fifteen prisoners were brought on this morning's train to the Ohio Penitentiary.  Eleven, five whites, and six blacks, were from Hamilton county, sentenced at the last Cincinnati term.  They were under the charge of Deputy Sheriff Hueston, and attendant guards.  Among them are some old offenders.  One sentenced for life, is committed for a proof of his affection as a husband, in choking his wife to death and then burning her.  The remaining four came from Montgomery county.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)


Source: Cincinnati Daily Enquirer

Dated: July 14, 1869


     On the night of July 3d the safe of the United States Deputy Collector, Mr. A. W. Scott, at Hamilton, was broken upon and robbed of stamps and money to the amount of $290.  The case excited considerable interest, and some days elapsed before any clue could be obtained looking to the discovery of the perpetrators of the crime.  The matter was put into the hands of skillful detectives in this city who proceeded to shrewdly "work up" the matter and on the following Wednesday they succeeded in arresting two men, named respectively Henry Eastman and Rufus Campbell.  The accused were brought before commissioner Halliday yesterday morning for preliminary examination, when the following testimony was encited:
     A. W. Scott, Deputy United States Collector at Hamilton, testified that he had an office in that city, and had in his possession Government property in the shape of beer and tobacco stamps; also, some money, over $2000 in beer stamps, and $100 in cigar stamps; they were kept in an iron safe, with about $100 in currency; between nine-o'clock on the 31 of July and nine o'clock Sunday morning the office and safe were entered and this property taken away; the safe was opened by cutting away the iron above the lock and forcing the bolt.
     One of the sheets of stamps was recognized by witness, having in pencil mark "20 sheets" in his own handwriting.
     I know Mr. Eastman; did not know the boy Campbell; have seen Eastman about Hamilton almost daily for six months.
     On cross-examination by Colonel L. H. Bond, for the defense, witness stated that he had disposed of these stamps to brewers; didn't sell tem, but when a man paid his taxes for beer he gave a receipt for the stamps, and stamps to correspond.  Do not sell $1000 worth a week; perhaps $2,300 in a month.  Myself and clerk only deliver the stamps.  Do not know that these stamps had passed out of my hands.  Know young Campbell's father; he is a civil engineer on the Junction Railroad; don't know him personally.
     Jesse Worley, of this city, testified to having met Eastman and Campbell, and at their making propositions to him to sell some stamps; I told Detective Mitchell that I thought this robbery might be turned up; I am not here as the prosecuting officer or witness; did not know that a reward had been offered, or have not been promised any part of a reward; have been acting as a ______. ____ detective policeman, a ___ needed any authority to make an arrest I would get sworn in as a deputy constable; was not sworn in this case; cannot swear positively to this carpet sack being the same one; I gave it to Detective Carey, and pretended to be Eastman's friend, for the purpose of getting the carpet sack for Detective Mitchell; I have not any other employment than detective policeman; I have already made my bread and butter, I hunt up cases for lawyers, they paying me $10 and $15 for a case.  I got acquainted with Eastman when I was Deputy Marshal.  He was then in jail.  This was when Shellbaker was Mayor, and Jim Ruffin was Marshal.  I then went on the police force as a detective under Mayor Thomas.  Have not been on the force for four years.  Did not tell Solomon that I was an independent detective or a stool pig on for the officers.
     George Swiger examined - Eastman and Worley came into where I work to get shaved; then Campbell came in with a carpet-sack and ____ by the side of the chair where Eastman was sitting.  This was between three and four P.M. of the 7th.  Am not acquainted with the detectives but have seen Worley several times.
     Mr. Scott recalled - Said he saw Campbell on Thursday morning in the station house; he told me his name was Clark; he said his father was a civil engineer, near Hamilton, which I knew to be false.  I then found out that his name was Campbell, and that his father lived at Liberty, which he denied.  Mr. Mitchell and Carey were present.
     I went to the jail because I was interested in the recovery on the goods.  I did not go to the jail to pump him, but I said that whatever he told me should not be used against him.  It was merely curiosity to know who did the work.  I was a stranger to him, and did not know him.
     Detective Carey called - On Wednesday, the 7th, I and Mr. Mitchell were standing in a saloon on Fifth street, near Smith; saw Worley and Eastman walking up Fifth; they went into Solomon's pawnbroker shop; after a while they came out and went to the Indiana House; I followed them; and from there they went to a third street car; I followed in a John street car to Fifth street, where I jumped into an express wagon and followed to where Worley lived.  They went into his house, and I watched awhile, until I went to find Mr. Mitchell.  About half past four in the afternoon, Mitchell, myself and Lippincott, were on the lookout, and saw Eastman and Worley coming up Fifth street from John, with this carpet sack under Eastman's arm.  They went into Solomon's shop, and staid half an hour, I saw this young man.  Campbell, standing there behind the screen.  Eastman and Worley came out of the side entrance, looked up and down the street, when Eastman handed Worley the carpet sack, and both started off - he toward John street and Worley toward me.  I took the carpet sack; Lippincott went after Eastman and Mitchell caught the boy.  On the way to the Station house Eastman said to me. "This is rather a bad job; can't it be fixed?  I said, "I am not negotiating now"  He said, "You can take it all, if you will let me go.'  At the Station house I asked him how many were in the affair at Hamilton.  He said there were two or three; that the job had been set up in Hamilton; that there were men of position in it.  They had supposed there were from $20,000 to $25,000 in the safe, and they were disappointed; that they got $2,600 in stamps and $90? in greenbacks; that they kept $1,000 of it.  I asked who they were, and he replied that he didn't like to give anybody away (tell on them, he meant;) that if he did they would kill him; that they had killed men for the same thing.  He told me of another case, where $600 worth of stamps had been taken.  He said that D. Frank, on Sixth street, near Elm had got them paying $250 for them.  Said he had nothing ___ with getting them, only in working them off.
     Detective Mitchell called - Received information of the circumstances of the robbery and who did it, and who had the stamps; I told the pawnbrokers not to drive them out, as I would catch them with the stamps in their possession; had some conversation; I asked him why he gave his name as Cannon, when it was Campbell; I told him it was a hard case and he would go up, to which he said, "Yes," and that he did not want his people to know of his arrest; I caught the young man; I saw Eastman coming down in front of the pawnbroker's with the carpet sack under his arm; the carpet sack was opened in the Station house, where the stamps were taken out, and Carey put his name on them; I had some conversation with Eastman, but pledged him my word and honor that I would not use it against him.
     The counsel on both sides submitted the case without argument.
     Judge Halliday said: I have tried a great many cases in my lifetime, but never saw as clear a one as this is.  The safe of the Collector was broken open, the goods taken and found on these parties giving evidence enough for conviction without reference to any confessions.
     I am not astonished at Eastman, but for the young lad.  I am always sorry to deal with a young lad, as he was no doubt led into this by Eastman, who is steeped in crime.
     I deem it a duty I owe to myself, and to the Government I serve, to hold these parties over to answer.  For a man older than I am to conspire with a boy - a man of his age who will so as forget himself as to entice a boy to such a crime - I can not think of any punishment too severe for him.  An old man who will induce a lad to commit a burglary that will send him to the penitentiary must not expect any sympathy from me.  I, therefore, hold them in bail in the sum of $5,000.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Aug. 11, 1869
Among other news.....
     C. Kepper, a young man, while in the act of placing a set of wagon wheels into a wagon, slipped and fell, one of the wheels falling on him, cutting his head in a dreadful manner.  He was thought to be otherwise seriously injured.
Caster Deivel, a boy ten years old, today, while attempting to cross the street hurriedly, fell in front of a street car, which passed over his right foot, crushing it before the car could be stopped.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Jamestown Journal - New York
Dated: Dec. 15, 1871
Near the village of Montgomery, Hamilton county, Ohio, a drunken husband went home and amused himself by breaking furniture, dishes, etc.  The wife looked on, and when the work of destruction had ceased, sat down and made out a bill, embracing each article destroyed and its value.  This done she went to the saloon keeper who sold the liquor to her husband and demanded the amount of the bill.  He saw she meant business and "forked over" the full amount.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Date: July 23, 1874
Seven boarders at the residence of Sheriff Allen.
The Universalist Church give a social at the residence of Mr. Russell, July 30.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: Jan. 1, 1880
COLLEGE HILL - Miss Jennie Coons, of West Fourth street, Cincinnati; Miss Mamie DeSerisy, of College Hill, and Miss Lizzie Marsh, of the Twenty-fifty Ward, will be pleased to see their friends at the latter's residence, corner of Chase and Dane avenues, on New Year's Day.
(Transcribed from Genealogy Bank by Sharon Wick on 6/7/2009)
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: Apr. 12, 1880
     William and Chas. Jung, while riding out in a buggy the other morning, near the Lockland Mills, the horse became frightened and threw them both out; resulting in the fracture of William's left leg, and injuring his brother internally.
     The election of School Director of sub-School District No. 14 will take place this afternoon between the hours of 4 and 8 o'clock.  The candidates are Martin V. B. Weigheil of Hartwell, and Col. Tim McNamara, of Maplewood.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated:  Aug. 21, 1882
Last week there were 119 deaths.
     Mr. Geo. W. BISHOP has recovered from a long spell of sickness.
     The carriage blacksmiths have formed a union.  They will hold a meeting to-night at Tivoli Hall.
     James A. HOGWOOD, who was run over on the Cincinnati Southern Railroad Saturday evening, died yesterday at the hospital at 5 p.m.
     Ernest E. HUGE has been appointed administrator of Ernest W. HUGE, deceased.  Estate $2,000 in personalty; $5,000 in realty.
     Mr. William C. HOWARD, clerk of the United States courts leaves to-day for Iowa and Minnesota on a month's sporting jaunt.
     Letters of administration in the estate of George SIERING were granted on Saturday to Howard DOUGLASS.  Personalty, $1,000; realty, $5,000.
     A couple of boys, Geo. McLEAN and Hennis CASLEY, aged respectively fourteen and thirteen, ran away from the Cumminsville Orphan Asylum at about 7 o'clock last evening.
     The Continental Tiems of August 5, chronicles the whereabouts of Cincinnatians in Europe as follows:  At Geneva, Dr. H. E. KIRBY, Mr. and Mrs. H. LLOYD; at Baden-Baden, Mrs. L. VOGT.
     Rev. Dr. DeWITT
, of Philadelphia, who has been called to the chair in the faculty of Lane Theological Seminary made vacant by the death of Dr. HUMPHRIES, will arrive in the city on Saturday next, and assume his new duties upon the opening of the collegiate year, September 14.
     The "free rum and no Sunday" advocates, sailing under the name of the Association of Independent Citizens, announce the following speakers at their demonstration Sept. 21: Judge STALLO, Hon. E. W. KITTREDGE, Dr. STARKLOFF, of St. Louis; Ex-Lieut. Gove MULLER, of Cleveland and Senator BAYARD, of Delaware.
     Charles EVANS, living at No. 52 East Sixth street yesterday afternoon about 6 o'clock, on Sixth, between Main and Walnut streets, noticed two men, who, by their actions, appeared to be trying to rob a colored man.  He interfered to spoil their game, and for h is pains he was knocked down and seriously cut about the head.
     The Cincinnati Artillery met yesterday afternoon and transacted usual routine business, Lieut E. V. HEIFERICH, of Company I, 1st Regiment, was present, and gave the members of the now company some information of value.  The battery meets again on Tuesday evening at 115 Carr street, and all the members are expected to be on hand.  Assistant Adjt. Geo. CARR and other military men will be present.
     Joseph DERMAN, who lives at No. 24 Abigail street, celebrated Yesterday's day of rest by getting most gloriously drunk.  In the evening he brought up at Tony NEIZER's saloon, No. 554 Vine, where he was refused drink and ejected from the premises.  In his efforts to obtain an entrance he thrust his right hand through two panes of glass, cutting his wrist to the bone and severing the artery.  He was taken to the hospital.
     At 5 o'clock last Saturday afternoon the police raided the inro bank at 208 Vine street, and arrested the dealor, Tom CORCORAN, at the same time capturing the faro box and chips.  The players, who were seated around the table escaped by means of the back door.  CORCORAN was charged with exhibiting gaming devices, and locked up for half an hour, when his friend bailed him out.  His case will come before the Police Court this morning.
     Lew RIEHL, of the telegraph corps in the Fire Department, is a father, and at present he is totally unfit for duty, being nearly out of his head for joy.  This is the way he announced the fact to his companions:  "Hello, there; hello!  It's come, and it's a boy."  "A boy, you say?"  "You bet your life it is;" and just at this point Lew's smiles and chuckles of satisfaction prevented anything further being distinguished.  Lew, is "getting 'em up" to the boys in honor of the auspicious occurrence

     The finishing touches are being given to the Children's Home, and the building makes a very handsome and substantial appearance.  The formal dedication of the Home will probably take place next month.
     The colored camp meeting at Buena Vista Garden is attracting the attention of the colored people in this city and vicinity.  The services will be held all week.
     Commadore Sam. COFFIN, of the Backyard Company, has commenced preparing a ship sixty feet long to be displayed in the Exposition parade.
     Hon. H. P. STEPHENS and Judge T. Jeff. PHELPS have formed a new partnership, and will shortly open an office in this city.
PERSONAL  - Mr. Ed. STARKE is entertaining a young bank teller at his home.  - Mr. and Mrs. Amos Shinklic  are at Saratoga, where they will remain a few weeks. - Dr. John STEVENSON reached home Saturday and wife will not be back before the 15th of next month. - Miss Mary HOLMA,  of Indianapolis, is the guest of Mrs. John HAYES, of this city. - Miss Lucy MORGAN leaves today for Lexington on a visit to her aunt., Mrs. DOWLING - Mr. O. F. STARKE, of Paris, is visiting his mother in this city - Mrs. J. B. MECKLENBERG, who has been visiting out at St. Paul, Minn., reached home Saturday night. - The marriage of Hon. Dudley Glenn, of this city, and Miss Mason, of South Covington, takes place at Trinity Chapel, at the latter place, tomorrow afternoon - The Kentucky Central will run a special train, leaving here at 5 o'clock, for the accommodation of guests from this city.

     The union services held by the congregations of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches have been quite a success thus far.  The service last night was held at the Eleventh Street M. E. Church.  The services were conducted by Rev. J. W. WALDEN, pastor of the Fourth Street Presbyterian Church.
     Rev. O. A. BARTHOLOMEW commenced yesterday evening the delivery of the last series of Sunday evening lectures to be given previous to his departure for Philadelphia.  His subject was, Can the Book of Revelation be Understood?"

     The Ladies' Society of the Columbia Street Presbyterian Church will give a lawn fete tomorrow evening on the grounds surrounding the residence of J. B. WAGNER, Esq., on Columbia Street.
Wm. E. LANE, trustee to Wm. F. KELLY, lot No. 211, James Taylor's East Row addition (continued), east side of Overton, between Mayo and Ringgold streets, 36 by 125 feet, $1,179.
Same to M. BURKE, Lot no. 253, same addition, east side of Overton, between Ringgold and Harris streets, 36 by 125 feet: $1,188.

- Dr. R. H. Thornton is making a short stay at Oakland, Md. -
- Miss Gussie Dittoe is visiting at Ironton, O.
- Mrs. Robert Meehan, accompanied by her father, B. R. Morton, left yesterday for her home in Chattanooga -
- Mrs. J. Lippincot, of Monmouth street, left Saturday for Lincoln, Neb., to visit her son, who is seriously ill. -
- Rev. H. J. Steward, who has been making a tour of the Northern lakes, returned home Saturday -
- Edward Amann and Henry Cole are visiting in Southern Ohio
- Capt. John B. Keifer, Paymaster of the Department of Columbia, has been assigned to duty at the Newport Barracks.
- Rev. J. G. Bow, of the First Baptist Church, will attend the annual meeting of the Campbell County Baptist Association, which meets at Persimmon Grove next Wednesday.
- Dr. A. B. Jones is visiting friends in Indianapolis.

- Wm. Rhafuse has been appointed guardian of Mary C. Haber et al.
- S. V. Curtis to Asa Schuler, lot 3, 724 and 3,725, Third Ward; $810 -
- J. W. Leight, of Middletown, has brought suit against Phil. Latimer, jr., claiming $1,000 damages; Plaintiff claims it on the ground that defendant injured him and his good name, by accusing him of stealing the plaintiff's cabbage, and onions.
- The Democracy had a jollification meeting last Saturday evening, and like at all of these meetings, every body had a good time.  Judge Follett spoke, and encouragingly too.  Said some good words for the Democratic standard bearer for Congress.  Didn't say anything in favor of the much loved Republican party, but said they needed reformation.  Jas. E. Campbell thanked everybody present for what they had done for him and the meeting came to a close.
- Andew Conrad has brought suit against Adam Ebel, H. Smit, J. Breisford, Jos. Smith, J. Thomas, Wm. Sheard, and Wilson Shannon claiming damages for $2,000.  Plaintiff claims damages on the grounds that defendants tried to injure him and his family by attacking their hose August 17, at a time they were entertaining a social party.  He states the window shutters were all broken, and much other damage done.
- The Democratic campaign will be opened at Darrtown on the 24th inst.
- The committee appointed on the G. A. R. reunion are requested to meet at the residence of Mrs. JAmes E. Campbell, this evening at 7:30 sharp.

- Grown was broken on Burns avenue a few days ago for the erection of a Missionary Baptist Church.
- The Homestead Savings and Loan Company of Hartwell is being continually re-enforced by new members.  Money will be sold tomorrow evening.
- Col. James D. Welsh, of Maplewood, was re-elected President of the International Passenger Association, which met in Montreal, Canada, a few days ago.

     Two freight trains collided Friday night on the L. B. & W. Railroad at Shattuc, four miles north of here, ditching both engines and smashing three cars.  Nobody seriously injured
- About 8,000? people were present Saturday at the pioneer meeting in Smith's Grove, New Carlisle, and the affairs was unusually pleasant, the old people of Miami, Montgomery, and Clarke counties attending in great numbers.  County Commissioner D. G. Cory was President, Dr. H. H. Young Secretary, and I. Funderburg Marshal of the day.  Bands of music from Fairfield and New Carlisle enlivened the occasion, and there were sons of "ye olden tyme" by Father Louk's Old Folks' Choir.  The principal address was by Gen. J. Warren Keifer.  Congressman from this district, and remarks were made by several other gentlemen, pioneers and others.  Louis Bancroft, of this city, was the oldest man on the grounds.  Col. Whitfield, a Miami County pioneer, was one of the speakers.  Col. Durbin Ward, of Warren County, who had expected to attend, but was prevented, sent a pleasant letter.  The dinner, free to all, was an extensive spread.  These annual gatherins are becoming more popular every year.  Everybody greatly missed E. T. Weakley, a prominent figure at last year's meeting, since gathered to his fathers.
- Miss Anna Vol_, of this city, who graduated with honor from Cincinnati College of Music in July, gives a concert at Black's Opera House next Thursday evening under the auspices of the ladies of the First Baptist Church.
- There have been nearly 400 entries, a promising beginning, for the Clarke County Fair, which opens tomorrow.  Secratary L. B. Sprague will be at the rooms of the Agricultural Society today to book any further entries exhibitors may wish to make there.  The parade and prize contest of bicyclers is set for the second day, Wednesday.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

Source: Salt Lake Tribune - Utah
Date: June 11, 1885
Confession of an Ohio Monster Under Sentence of Death.
CINCINNATI, June 10. - Schneider, who is in the Hamilton, Ohio Jail sentenced to be hanged June 19th for killing his mother, made confession today to the jailer and his spiritual adviser. He said his mother had threatened to poison his wife, and had asked him to let her live with him. He agreed to let her live with him half the time, but at supper a quarrel arose and the mother demanded to be taken to the railroad station. On the way she said that if his wife was dead, she would have a home. This maddened him and he struck her on the head with a stone and carried her off and buried her. He then invented the story that a tramp met them and murdered his mother.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: The Aberdeen News
Date: July 2, 1886

At Cincinnati, Ohio, Wm. J. Sonderson, Justice of the Peace, plead guilty in the Police Court to a charge of assault and battery preferred by a Mrs. Gibbons, and was sentenced to two months in the Work House and to pay a fine of $100. His appeal for mercy on the ground that he was drunk when he committed the offense was not successful.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page 6
Dated:  Saturday, Feb. 26, 1887
     The Pittsburg Box Mystery Cleared Up by a Young Physician.
PITTSBURG, Pa., Feb. 25. - The box mystery was cleared up today by a young physician named John Osbourne of Suterville, Pa., Calling at the Baltimore & Ohio express office for the box.  He was escorted to the mayor's office, where he made a statement under oath, that the body found in the box was that of a negro who died in Cincinnati hospital and had been sent after death to the Elevric college as a medical subject.  After dissection it was given into the hands of Osborne, who shipped it home to articulate the skeleton.  The doctor had not heard of the mystery and excitement the box had occasioned, and when he was told that he would have to go before the coroner he was badly frightened.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Columbus Daily Enquirer
Dated: Mar. 20, 1891
     It is reported that Henry Coleman, a former resident of Eastman, and a County School Commissioner, is confined in the Tombs, New York, on the some criminal charges.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Cleveland Leader (Cleveland, OH)  Page: 6
Dated: Wednesday, Nov. 23, 1892
     Benjamin Riley vs. George Hitzler.
Error to Circuit Court of Hamilton county.  Judgment affirmed
Source: Inter Ocean - Illinois
Dated: Aug. 15, 1895
Whether or Not a Member Died a Catholic the Cause.
CINCINNATI, Ohio - Aug. 14 - A bitter creed agitation broke out here tonight.  R. E. MOREHEAD, aged 35 years, died at 9 a.m. today at his home, 155 Central avenue.  He was a member of Washington Council of the anti-Catholic order known as the American Flag.  He affiliated with A. P). A. men, but could not belong to that order because his wife is a Catholic.  Today it was announced that MOREHEAD died a Catholic, and that the family did not want Washington Council or other local lodges of the American Flag to participate at the funeral.  The lodges insisted on their usual service for members.  Their request to be at the Cathedral Saturday morning was also denied.  The members of the order held an indignation meeting tonight, at which it was publicly question where MOREHEAD died a Catholic.  Members of the A. P. A. are taking part in the agitation.  MOREHEAD's cashier in his restaurant is also a member of the American Flag.  He said MOREHEAD was unconscious for some time before the priest was called to administer the last rites, and that he died unconscious.  He also asserted that the family would not allow him or any other members of the order to see MOREHEAD after his condition became serious.  The officiating priest is unable to state whether MOREHEAD was conscious or not, and stated that it is not a material point in his duty, as he was called by Mrs. MOREHEAD.  The members of the American Flag and the A. P. A. are causing a great stir over the case.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Boston Journal (Boston, MA) Vol. LXII  Issue: 20492  Page: 5
Dated: Wednesday, Nov. 27, 1895
The Storm So Affected a Cincinnati Man That He Died.
     Cincinnati Nov. 26 - A terrific wind storm swept over this section last night, doing considerable damage to property.  Trees were uprooted, buildings unroofed or wrecked, telegraph poles and wires blown down and several poles and wires blown down and several bouts in the river were torn from their moorings and set adrift.  The watchmen and crews of packets and tow boats were all aboard, and consternation reigned among them.  None of the boats had steam up and they were, therefore, left to the mercy of the gale after the lines had parted.  Just above the Big Sandy Wharf boat were moored the steamers T. J. O'Connell, Rob Roy and Lee Brooks.  The shore lines of all three were snapped, and when the wind subsided they were all in a bunch at Brown's coal float a distance of fully half a mile.  A $4000 barge was sunk at the Marine Dry Dock.  Nearly a hundred empty barges were set adrift from the Queen City landing at the foot of Washington Street.  The damage in the river here will amount to $10,000.
     Gotlieb Lautenschlager, aged 56 years, was frightened to death by the storm.  He was awakened by the heavy wind and feeling the house shake, left his bed and walked the floor constantly during the storm, wringing his hands and praying for deliverance.  After the storm Lautenschlager became somewhat calmer, but shortly after daylight a reaction set in, and he was prostrated.  He sank rapidly, and was a corpse in a short time.
     At Delaware fences, trees and small buildings were blown down, and the people were terrorized by the swaying of their houses.  A side of the City Hall tower was blown in.
     At Blanchester walls that were left standing after the recent conflagration were leveled to the ground.  One of them crashed through Snyder & Anderson's new hardware building.  The roof of the Cranahan Block was blown off.
     At Middletown the Miami Bicycle Company's building was damaged.
     At Oxford the new Cincinnati Hamilton and Dayton passenger depot was nearly demolished.  The roofs of the Methodist church and the Town Hall were damaged.
     At Springfield part of the roof of the Superior Drill Company's building was blown away.  Windows in the City Hall were broken.
     The passenger station at Terra Alta on the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad was lifted from its foundations and carried some distance away and wrecked.
     At Lawrenceburg, Ind., the Cereal Distilling and the Bauer Cooperage Companies plants were unroofed Chimneys were knocked down all over the town.
     At Lancaster, Paintsville and other towns in Kentucky the storm was severe and considerable property was destroyed.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH)  Page 3
Monday, Mar. 25, 1901
Frank B. Wright
, A Cincinnati Publisher, Died of Pneumonia.
   CINCINNATI, O., March 24. - Frank B. Wright, publisher of Ohio and connected with Cincinnati papers for twenty years.  His wife died of pneumonia at 8 o'clock this morning.  He had been worried about her while afflicted with pneumonia himself and died a few hours after his wife expired.  Wright was not considered seriously afflicted until an hour before death.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Boston Journal - published as Boston Sunday Journal
Date: July 27, 1902
Thrice Married. Twice Divorced from Same Man - Ohio Couple's Remarkable Inconsistancy
Hamilton, O., July 26 - Myrtle Morris Wade is at the home of her mother in this city, and it is said she will not return to her young husband in Cincinnati.  Mrs. Wade  is only 22 years of age, but has had an interesting matrimonial career, all with one man.  She married Ben C. Wade in Hamilton, and she was divorced from him.
     Then they married again and went to Cincinnati.  There she was divorced again.  A few months later she once more married the man from whom she had been twice divorced.  The Wades have two children, who are now with Mrs. Wade at the Morris home, in Healton Street, in this city.  Mrs. Wade says that she will not return to her husband, but that she has not thought anything about again instituting proceedings for divorce.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Grand Rapids Press (Grand Rapids, MI)  Page 1
Dated: Tuesday, May 12, 1903
Ohio Man Hears of Long Lost Brother Too Late
Hamilton, Ohio, May 12 - Michael Toohey of this city, after remaining forty-five years in ignorance of the where-abouts of his brother, J. T. Toohey, got news of him through a Chicago press dispatch.  His search of New York for half a century was ended when he read that John Toohey, a millionaire of Australia had died in the Auditorium hotel in Chicago.
     Michael Toohey went to Chicago but when he arrived the widow and three daughters had started for America.  He received a letter two years later asking him to come to Australia, but he lost it and was never able to learn his brother's address.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Jackson Citizen Patriot (Jackson, MI) Page: 1
Died: Saturday, June 25, 1904
Who Died Unknown in an Indianapolis Hospital.
Indianapolis, Ind., June 25. - In the pickling vat of the Medical College of Indiana has been found the body of George K. Gardiner, who was well known in Cincinnati politics and whose disappearance was a mystery that has baffled the police since April 1.
     The identification of the body in the pickling vat came about by the chance observance of a visitor who had known Gardiner.
left his home in Cincinnati on a visit to Indianapolis on April 2.  He was accompanied by a friend, William Steele.  Both men were at one time members of the board of equalization in that city.  They stayed at the Vendome hotel here.  After spending the evening together they parted.  Gardiner saying he intended to return to Cincinnati on the following day.  That was the last Steele saw of him.
     On the day that he was to return to his home in Cincinnati, Gardiner was seized with an attack of apoplexy and was taken to the city hospital.  He died there before recovering consciousness.  The Indianapolis authorities were unable to establish his identity, and after the body had been held for several days it was handed over to the college authorities.  It was placed in the pickling vat to be prepared for dissection, and there it remained until it was discovered that the body was that of Gardiner.
     Since his disappearance on April 2 Gardiner's wife has made every effort to find what had become of her husband, but in vain.  She could assign no cause for his disappearance and for a time the Cincinnati police worked upon the theory that he had been murdered.
     Steele was unable to throw any light upon the mystery.  When he parted with Gardiner he was apparently in good health and arranging to return to his home.
     News of the finding and identification of the body was telegraphed to the widow last night, and the body was shipped to her home in Cincinnati this morning.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Cleveland Gazette (Cleveland, OH) Page: 3
Dated: Saturday, July 1, 1905
     Mr. Robert Dennie's mother died recently in Washington D. C.
     Mr. Joseph R. Simmons, of North Olmsted, spent Wednesday in the city.
     Mrs. I. L. Hamilton, of Akron, was here last week Friday to attend Mr. Archibald Thomas' funeral.
     James E. Benson, a trustee of Ohio university, recently attended a meeting of the board at Athens.
     Mrs. Sherman H. Moody left June 20 for Sioux Falls, S. D., for a two months' visit with relatives.
     It was rumored last week that a relative of "Jersey" Gordon had died in the east and left him $20,000.
     Hon. Jere A. Brown left Wednesday for New York on a business trip.
     Mrs. Grace W. Brown's recital at Woodliff hall on June 15th was a musical treat and well attended.
     A. T. Abbott was in Columbus recently to meet a daughter who has been living in Xenia with relatives.
     Rev. W. T. Anderson, chaplain of the Tenth cavalry U. S. A., Ft. Robinson, Neb., was in the city the first of the week.
     John Richardson, night watchman at the City hall, was "let out" the first of the week and a white man given the place.
     The City Federation of Women's clubs held a reception on Tuesday evening at Mt. Zion church for the recent local graduates.
     An account of the unfortunate Shiloh church trouble will be found on our first page today.  It is high time to call a halt at Shiloh.
     The "Gem" restaurant, No. 91 Sheriff street, Messrs. Crawford and Foster, proprietors, is known as the "old reliable."  Give them a call.  You will be pleased.
     The Onward Foraker club will meet Wednesday at 5:30 p.m., sharp.  Members will please remind one another of the meeting.  All chairmen of committees must be present.
     Rev. A. T. Moody, Miss Fanny Wilson and Mrs. Bessie Spearman have returned from the C. M. E. district meeting in Cincinnati over which Dr. W. A. Jackson, P. E., presided and report an enjoyable time.
     Catherine Lawson threw herself in front of a street car at Little Rock, Ark., recently and rescued her charge, a white child.  She was badly injured, however, and soon died.  It is proposed to erect a monument to her memory.
     Robert Jones has sold the "Ideal" restaurant at No. 31 Chestnut street to Henry T. Evans, who is conducting it in a first-class manner.  Their popular price dinner "can't be beat."  Try it.  Everything clean, neat and first-class.
     Mrs. Walter Brown leaves today for Vandergrift, Pa., to visit her husband's parents and her two little daughters who have been visiting their grandparents for months.  She will give a concert in the Vandergrift Opera House on the 10th.
     The Morris Brown college and A. M. E. church institution, of Atlanta, Ga., has 961 students, and graduated 50 men and women this year.  Carpentry, painting, blacksmithing, dressmaking, nurse training, laundry and art claimed the greater number of diplomas.
     St. James church's Allen Endeavor league of which Mr. F. E. Young is president, celebrated its first anniversary Wednesday evening with a splendid program that included excellent solos, duets, recitations and an address by the editor of the Gazette which was enthusiastically received.  It was an exceptionally creditable affair and the president has every reason to feel proud of it.
     Chaplain Anderson occupied the pulpit for Dr. Gilmere Sabbath morning and preached an excellent sermon.  J. F. Meeks, the local preacher, preached at night.  Dr. Gilmere preached the annual sermon for the Masons at Lorain Sabbath afternoon.  The young people of Allen league will hold a special service Sabbath evening.  An excellent program will be rendered.  Mrs. J. M. Gilmere and son will visit relatives in Nashville, Tenn., in July.
     Preidman, the restaurant keeper on Sheriff street in the rear of the Opera House, settled the cases against him started recently by Walter Brown and Albert Williams for refusals to serve them, by paying all expenses of the court and lawyers' fees on both sides, amounting to $78.  In addition to this he satisfied Brown and Williams by paying them $25 a piece.   Priedman's wife cried bitterly in the court room and he promised to "be good" hereafter.  No more "color-line" in that place.  Nothing like fighting in the courts for one's rights.  Keep this up awhile and all kinds of discrimination against our people will cease.  Use our Ohio civil rights law.  Brown and Williams did.  So have others, and successfully, too.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Gazette-Telegraph - Colorado
Dated: Dec. 22, 1910
CINCINNATI, Dec. 21 - With a dozen streams still playing upon the smouldering ruins of the fire that destroyed a block of Cincinnati's manufacturing district early this morning, the recapitulation of loss in life and property has been completed and shows the disaster to be larger than any of the estimates placed during the progress of the configuration.
     The final count taken this afternoon shows that three men lost their lives, six were injured, one perhaps fatally, while the property loss is $2,083,000 covered by insurance of $1,400,000.
     The origin of the blaze at both the Krippendorf-O'Neal company's plant and the A. J. Nurre Warehouse is unknown, but the manner in which the huge buildings burned like tinder for the belief upon the fire department that the place was the result of incendiarism.
     It is conceded tonight that the body of Charles SWENGEL, ladderman of fire company No. 15, is buried under the ruins.
     The fire, which started at 2 o'clock, was one of the most disastrous that the local fire department has had to battle with for many years.  At the time the fire broke out, a high wind was blowing.  When the flames were finally brought under control, 10 firms had been burned out and eight large buildings destroyed.
     An entire block from Ninth and Sycamore streets to Broadway was swept by the flames.  The firms burned out are:
     Krippendorf & O'Neal Shoe Co., southeast corner Ninth and Sycamore streets; Taylor Poole Leather Co., northwest corner of Ninth and Sycamore streets; Cahill Shoe Co., adjoining; Twinlock Co., adjoining Krippendorf & O'Neal on the south; Sacamore Street Stable Co., barn, Giless Pfleger Leather Co., Victor Safe and Lock Co., northwest corner Ninth and Broadway; warehouse of A. & J. Nurro Co., picture frames and mouldings, Broadway, opposite Ninth, P. E. O. Duncan, paper box factory, adjoining the Nurre warehouse, and the Wildberg Box factory in the rear of the Nurre plant.
     The fire, it is believed, started in the engine room of the plant of the Krippendorf & O'Neal company, Hardley had the fire been discovered when the flames leaped from almost every window from cellar to roof.
     When the fire apparatus arrived it was seen that the shoe factory was doomed and the firemen turned to the work of trying to save adjoining buildings.  They practically surrounded the fire with water, but it had too much of a start and aided by the wind it continued to spread from building to building.
     While the fire was at its height a wall of Krippendorf building fell and buried Robert GREAR.  His body was recovered.  Four other firemen, HUMPHREYS, GEIGER, MORGAN and Captain TINLEY, were also caught by the falling wall and all badly injured.
     Shortly afterward the list of injured firemen were added to by the names of LUHN and HALLLUHN was at work in a stable in the rear of Griess Pfleger company when he stepped into the hatchway and fell two stories, breaking several ribs and otherwise injuring himself.  He was the most seriously hurt of any of the firemen.
     Hardley had these two men been taken to hospitals when an iron electric light pole 200 feet from the apparent danger zone of the fire toppled over and crushed a white boy.  He died on the way to the hospital.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Sun
Dated Feb. 28, 1913
George F. Starr III In Ohio.
     Mrs. Alice Frame Starr, of Cockeysville, received word yesterday of the serious illness from erysipelas of her son, George Frame Starr, of Cincinnati, Ohio.  Recently he fell and his arm was injured.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, OH
Dated: Feb. 27, 1914
SAYS WIFE'S LOVE DIED - Cincinnati Man Tells Jury Canadian Caused Woman's Death.
CHICAGO. Feb. 26 - W. C. ELLIS former Cincinnati leather merchant, charged with murdering his wife in a hotel here last October, took the witness stand in his own defense today.  His wife's interests in another man, Fred CAULDWELL of Brantford Ont.  ELLIS said , was the cause of the marital unhappiness that led to her death.
     "We were more like a young married couple than one married nine years until last August, when we went to Brantford, Ont." he said.  "There we were introduced to Fred CAULDWELL, and from that time Mrs. ELLIS  paid little attention to me.  Last October she said she needed a rest and wanted to go to Chicago.  She said she would go to a hotel and I said I did not think that proper.
     ELLIS will continue on the stand tomorrow morning.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Grand Rapids Press
Dated: July 10, 1915
Six Members of Tow Boat Crew Believed to Have Died in Tornado.
CINCINNATI - July 10, - Another body, that of a man named Isaac COHEN of Hamilton, O., found in the ruins of a collapsed building early today, swelled the total of known deaths from the storm of Wednesday night to thirty-two.
     Nothing has been heard of the six missing members of the crew of the towboat Convoy and they are being counted among the dead, bringing the total of known dead and probable dead up to thirty-eight.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Lexington Herald - Kentucky
Dated: Feb. 1, 1920
Second Wife Denied Papers; Millions are Involved.
     In his private capacity as a attorney, Mayor John GALVIN, of Cincinnati, was appointed Saturday administrator of the estate of E. M. NOWELL wealthy oil operator of Kentucky and Oklahoma, and widely known in Lexington, who died suddenly Tuesday at a Cincinnati hotel.
     Mrs. E. M. NOWELL, the second wife, who lives in Cincinnati, also applied for administration papers as the widow of NOWELLNOWELL had four children in Birmingham, Ala., by a first wife, who has since died.  Attorneys objected to the appointment of Mrs. NOWELL on the ground that NOWELLwas a legal resident of Birmingham and that the children there were the real heirs.  Several million dollars are said to be involved.  NOWELL left no will.
     The four children of the wealthy oil operator were insured for a total of $200,000.  Mr. NOWELL took out $50,000 of the amount of a few days before his death, he told friends in Lexington when here Monday, the day before he died of appoplexy.
     He was a senior partner of the firm of NOWELL & ROGERS, who owned the Pendergrass lease in Lee county, on which are eighty-eight producing wells.  Entering the oil business after being an insurance salesman in Atlanta, Ga., NOWELL made a fortune in a few years.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: The Lima Daily News
May 18, 1920

Leroy Dunlap, leader of sensational escape from Akron prison last week is convicted of murder in the first degree. If recaptured he will probably go to the electric chair, as mercy was not recommended. He is one of five who shot an Akron restaurant proprietor.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source: Sun (Baltimore, MD)  Vol: 21 Issue: 30  Section:  Part Two  Page: 20
Dated: Sunday, Jul. 24, 1821
Baltimore Contractor Found Dead in Cincinnati.
Coroner And Police Investigate Case of C. Louis Vang, Who Died n Bungalow.
     In a lonely bungalow not far from a construction camp near Cincinnati, Ohio,  C. Louis Vang, Baltimore contractor and vice-president and general manager of the Vang Construction Company, was found dead early yesterday.  Police of that city and the county coroner are conducting an investigation.
     One theory is that the man's death was caused by a heart stroke.  Persons who knew him, however, said he always had been in good health.  The body is held at an undertaking establishment in Cincinnati awaiting relatives from this city. 
     Mr. Vang's bungalow is at a point where the construction company is building new piers for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad bridge over the Great Miami river.  The work was virtually completed and he was about to return to Cumberland, Md., where headquarters of the concern are located.
     Born in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1876, Mr. Vang entered construction work when a young man and rose rapidly, overseeing the erection of a number of large bridge.  He was a member of the Elks and Masons.  surviving are his widow, Mrs. Ida J. Vang; two daughters, a son, a brother and his mother.  Mrs. Mary Vang.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Dallas Morning News - Texas
Dated: Aug. 29, 1932
Cincinnati Editor Dies.
CINCINNATI, Ohio, Aug. 28 (AP) - George S. McDOWELL, 76, managing editor of the Cincinnati Enquirer and dean of Cincinnati newspaper men, died Sunday from a heart attack.  He had worked on local newspapers fifty-two years, thirty-six with the Enquirer.
(Found at Genealogy Bank, Transcribed by Sharon Wick)



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights