History of Pickaway County
and Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf
|D. A. LANE,
a representative agriculturist of Scioto
township, and a member of the board of directors of the
County Infirmary, resides on his finely improved far of
190 acres. Mr. Lane was born in Scioto
township, Pickaway County, Ohio, Jan. 29, 1841, and is a
son of John Wesley and Sarah (McCord) Lane.
The parents of Mr. Lane was born natives of
Virginia. The father was born in the vicinity of
Richmond, while the mother was born in Albemarle County.
In 1835 they came to Pickaway County, Ohio, where the
father became a prosperous farmer, reared a large family
and died on his own land. Seven of his children
died in infancy; those who reached maturity were:
Franklin, Sarah Virginia and John, Monroe,
all deceased; Lucy Ann, widow of James Curry,
residing in Franklin County, Ohio; James M. of
Canada; and D. A., the subject of this
D. A. Lane was reared on his father's farm and
obtained his education in the log schoolhouses in its
vicinity. With the exception of two years spent in
Madison township, Mr. Lane has passed his whole
life in Scioto township and nearly all of this period
has been spent in farming and stock-raising and feeding
hogs, having a preference for the Chester White variety,
and feeds about 100 a year for the market. For
some 12 years he has done an extensive business in
selling stock, shipping to Buffalo, Pittsburg and
Philadelphia. His farm is worth a great deal of
money, the land being exceedingly valuable and the
improvements being of a most substantial character.
In March, 1861, Mr. Lane was married to Mary
Wheeler, who is a daughter of Benjamin Wheeler,
one of the early settlers of Madison township, where he
became a large farmer and man of substance. Mr.
and Mrs. Lane have nine living children, as follows:
Sarah E., who is the wife of J. L. Martin,
a merchant at Commercial Point; George W., who is
in business at Ashville; B. L., at home; John
V., in business at Ashville; Charles, a
resident of Columbus; D. R. and William,
who are in business at Orient; and Mary and
Grace, both at home.
As a member of the board of directors of the County
Infirmary, Mr. Lane performs many public duties,
being a man of principle. He takes an interest in
all things pertaining to the welfare of his neighborhood
and gives liberal support to home enterprises. He
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Source: History of Pickaway County, Ohio and
Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon.
Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 -