History of Pickaway County
Source: History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties,
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880
BOUNDARY AND ERECTION
* SETTLEMENT - includes short sketches of settlers
* EARLY INDUSTRY
* EARLY SCHOOLS
* BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
The subject of this sketch is a native of Madison twp., having been
born there Nov. 5, 1817.
His father was Isaac Millar,
and his mother, Susan Decker,
to whom he was married in Hampshire co., Virginia, in 1811 or 1812,
in which year he brought her to Ohio to begin a pioneer’s life.
He first came to
in 1806. He bought three
hundred and twenty acres of land in section twenty-eight, Madison twp., on which he built a log cabin
and made a clearing of twenty or thirty acres.
The first year of his arrival he spent with his brother,
William Millar, in
Harrison twp., by whom his land in
was first entered. The
cabin in which he lived after marriage, and in which
Jacob Millar was born,
was built of logs, with puncheon floor.
The logs of which the old cabin was built are still in use in
a smaller cabin on a part of the old farm.
first child born to Isaac
Millar and his wife, was
Rebecca, in 1813.
She married William Short, and moved to
Illinois, where she died.
John D. was the second child.
He married Ann Amelia
Jones, and died in Harrison.
The following named children came after:
Michael, Susan, Sarah,
Franklin – the three latter being deceased;
Hannah became the wife of
George W. Brown, of
Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth
married Jesse Musselman,
and lives in Harrison twp.
Jacob Millar, from
his earliest boyhood, worked at the hard work of clearing the land,
and raising crops among the stumps in the new country.
His father was always a hard worker, and the sons were not
The assistance given by the boys from the time they could do
the smallest chores, was not to be despised.
His opportunities for obtaining an education at school, were
very limited, and generally consisted of two or three months’
attendance at such schools as were they taught, during the winter
months, for a few years.
Since his manhood he has made good use of the opportunities he has
had, and is one of the substantial men of the township.
He remained at his father’s house until his marriage.
was married, Nov. 12, 1854, to
Miss Florentine Kakuffman¸of
Bloom Twp., Fairfield Co.
They immediately began housekeeping on the farm they now
occupy, though not in the same house.
His father and mother remained in the same house until the
death of the latter, June 13, 1858.
After the death of his mother, his father gave each of his
children a share of property, the sons receiving land and the
daughters a money share.
Jacob Millar received two
hundred and sixty eight acres in Madison,
and one hundred acres in Harrison
twp. He has since bought
an additional forty acres in Harrison.
In 1867 they built their present beautiful and commodious
brick residence, on the bank of
During their married life there have been born to them seven
children: Susan Elizabeth,
who married Edwin A. Peters,
and lives in Franklin Co.; De
Witt Clinton, Mary Frances, Hannah Rebecca, Cora Bell, Lucretia,
and John Decker.
All, with the exception of Elizabeth,
remain at home.
Mr. Millar and his wife have always been hard workers, and their
home, with its many comforts and conveniences, is a constant
reminder of the toil during the past.
Their children are growing up around them, a comfort to them
in their later life, while plenty surrounds them.
~ History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio – Publ. 1880 by
William Bros. – Page 357
The subject of this sketch,
Aaron Teegardin, was born
in Franklin Twp., Westmoreland Co.,
Penn., Feb. 23, 1810.
When about one year of age, his father emigrated, with his
family, to Ohio, arriving in
twp., in April, of that year.
His father was George
Teegardin, and his mother
Christine Brobst Teegardin.
On their arrival, Mr. Teegardin located his family on one hundred and sixty acres of
land, in section twenty-three.
The children of George
Teegardin were Barbara,
John, Ann, Aaron and
Aaron Teegardin, when a boy, attended such schools as the
country then afforded, they being sustained by private subscription.
His school education was necessarily very limited, and was
mostly confined to a few months during the winter, after he became
of an age when his help in the necessary work of the farm was
valuable. He worked
hard, as did even the boys, in those days, at log-rollings,
raisings, clearing the forest, and raising the necessary food for
subsistence, his only recreation being fox hunting, in the winter,
and such gatherings of the young people of the neighborhood as took
In March, 1833, he was married to
After marriage they moved into a hewed-log house, which still
stands near their present residence.
Here they lived, and here were their children born, who were
Ephraim, who was born
Dec. 27, 1834, and was married to
Nancy Sharp, and now
lives in Miami co., Indiana;
Mahala remains at home; Henry
was born Apr. 16, 1841, and died in August, 1860, at Boise City,
on the western slope of the Rocky mountains, where he had gone in
search of his fortune in the gold mines;
Harriet Hoffhine, and
lives on section thirty-one;
Mary lives at home;
Augustus owns property in section seventeen, but lives at home;
George Philip married
Amelia Hoffhine, and
lives on the home farm; Levi
married Rosetta Phleeger,
and lives on the home farm; one child, the second, died in infancy.
1850 they built their present substantial farm dwelling, near the
log house that had so long been their home.
A representation of their home, together with portraits of
Mr. and Mrs. Teegardin,
appear in connection with this sketch.
Mr. Teegardin was, for
more than twenty years,, a trustee of his township.
During the time the old State militia law was in force, he
held the offices of lieutenant, captain, and major, in that
organization, serving in these different offices some eight or ten
years. He also held the
office of justice of the peace from 1844 to 1847.
has filled a father’s place in his care for the orphaned children of
his brothers and sisters, all of whom are now grown to manhood and
~ History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio –
Publ. 1880 by William Bros. – Page 358