Biographies
Source:
History of Cleveland and its Environs
The Heart of
New Connecticut
Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New
York
1918
<
BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX FOR 1918 >
< BACK TO ALL
BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES FOR CUYAHOGA COUNTY >
 |
DAVID R. JAMES
represents a Cleveland family that for over half a century has
been identified with industrial, and especially the iron and
steel, interests of that city.
Mr. James, who was born at Phoenixville,
Pennsylvania, Sept. 17, 1856, is a son of E. D. and Mary
James. His parents moved to Cleveland in 1859 and his
father was for several years in the employ of the old Cleveland
Rolling Mill Company. This company afterwards sent him to
Chicago, where he remained until 1866, and on returning to
Cleveland he, with James and Robert Paton and others,
organized the Union Iron Works Company. This company built
its plant on the site of the present Empire Rolling Mill
Company. The father in 1878 retired from active service,
and lived quietly in Cleveland until his death in 1911.
David R. James was educated in Cleveland in the
public schools and Spencerian Business College. At the age
of eighteen he went to work, being employed as a clerk with the
Union Iron Works Company until 1878. Following that he was
with the Union Rolling Mill Company, but in 1899 he and
associates organized the Empire Rolling Mill Company, and has
been secretary, treasurer and director of that industry ever
since. This is one of the big companies in Cleveland's
industrial district, employing 700 men and manufacturing iron
and steel bars and steel sheet.
Besides this important business connection, Mr.
James is chairman of the board of directors of the State
Banking and Trust Company and vice president of the Provident
Building and Loan Association of Cleveland, and is a director in
the Upson Nut Company. He is a member of Euclid Lodge, No.
599, Free and Accepted Masons, and of McKinley Chapter of Royal
Arch Masons, and in politics is a republican.
At Cleveland, May 25, 1881, Mr. James married
Miss Elizabeth Paton, daughter of James Paton.
They have three sons: E. D. James is now a roll turner
with the Empire Rolling Mills. W. P., the second
son, is a clerk with the same company. Harry J.,
the youngest, was until recently a salesman with the
Bourne-Fuller Company, but enlisted in Battery A of the One
Hundred and Thirty-fifth Field Artillery and is now serving in
France.
Source: History of Cleveland and its Environs - The Heart of New
Connecticut - Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago and
New York - 1918 - Page 412 - Vol. III |
|
EDWIN H. JANES
is vice president and treasurer of the Standard
Steel Castings Company, one of Cleveland's leading industries
connected with the prominence of the city as an automobile
center.
Mr. Janes was born in Toronto, Ontario,
Mar. 7, 1875, son of H. D. and Julia L. (Williams) Janes.
He was brought to Cleveland when a boy and here, while growing
to manhood, he attended the Brooks Military School at the
University School, graduating from the latter in 1894. He
gained his first experience in business as collector for the
Mercantile National Bank one year. Following that for four
years be was with the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railroad,
first as bill clerk in the freight department, and later as a
collector. He also accumulated a year's valuable
experience as teller with the Coal and Iron National Bank,
following which he took his first executive position as vice
president and secretary of the Talmadge Manufacturing Company,
railway supplies. He left that firm in 1912, selling his
interests, and with his brother, Julius F., organized the
Standard Steel Castings Company, of which he has since been vice
president and treasurer. This company, whose capital has
recently been raised to $1,000,000, has been since its founding
engaged in the manufacture of a general line of steel castings,
most of which are used in the automobile industry.
Recently the company put under construction a completely new
plant, which will be devoted to the manufacture of cast steel
automobile wheels, and will be the largest concern of its kind
in the United States.
Mr. Janes is a member of the Union Club,
the Cleveland Athletic Club, Mayfield Country Club, the Roadside
Country Club, the Loyal Legion, and is a republican voter.
At Cleveland. Dec. 14, 1898, he married Miss Lila Babcock.
They have three children. Lester Babcock,
aged eighteen, is a graduate of Culver Military Academy, of
Indiana, and is now in Cornell University. Edwin
Babcock, aged sixteen, is attending Cascadilla School,
preparing for entrance to Cornell University. Virginia
Katherine, the only daughter, is a student in the Shaker
Heights public schools, the family having their home in that
beautiful Cleveland suburb.
Source: History of Cleveland and its Environs - The Heart of New
Connecticut - Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago and
New York - 1918 - Page 399 - Vol. III |
|
JULIUS F. JANES.
In a city the size of Cleveland new
industries and important expansions and additions to older
industries come about with such frequency as to attract little
attention. But all of these have a significance and
contribute to the great volume of business now credited to
Cleveland and furnish life and prosperity for a considerable
part of Cleveland's 600,000 people.
Julius F. Janes is president of the Standard
Steel Castings Company, of which his brother E. H. Janes
is vice president and treasurer and J. H. Fogg secretary.
This company recently increased its capitalization to
$1,000,000. Following this they bought a ten acre tract in
Chicago, where they built a large plant which is now operating.
This new foundry, which supplements the main and old plant of
the company on West Seventy-third Street is to be used
exclusively for the manufacture of cast steel wheels for
automobiles, trucks and tractors. Its capacity is to be
400 wheels per day, and that capacity is rated as twice the size
of any plant manufacturing similar products in the country. A
fully equipped machine shop, capable of machining the foundry
production, is also a part of this new plant.
J. F. Janes and E. H. Janes organized the
Standard Steel Castings Company. This industry began with
only 12,000 square feet of floor space and with the present new
plant they will have 100,000 square feet. There were 50
employes at the beginning and today 600 people earn wages paid
by the company. The main west side plant manufactures
miscellaneous small castings, chiefly used for automobile work.
The first year the output of the company was measured by 1,000
tons, while in 1917 the output increased to approximately 4,000
tons. The new plant has a capacity alone of 2,000 tons a
month.
Source: History of Cleveland and its Environs - The Heart of New
Connecticut - Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago and
New York - 1918 - Page 131 - Vol. II |
|
JOHN F. JASIENSKI
is one of Cleveland's prominent young architects, a man of
splendid qualifications and wide experience, not only in
architecture but in general engineering. He has already
done much substantial work, and is looked upon as one of the
coming men of the profession.
Mr. Jasienski was born in Cleveland Nov.
12, 1885, a son of Frank and Frances Jasienski. His
father came to this city in 1872, worked at the cooper's trade
and then established a grocery store at 6512 Forman Avenue.*
He continued a merchant until 1914, when he sold his business
and has since lived retired. He married after coming to
Cleveland Frances Kopezynski, and they had seven
children.
John F. Jasienski attended St. Stanislaus
Parochial School and later the public school until 1901.
Partly through the encouragement and help of his parents and
also by his own hard work he acquired a liberal education.
In 1903 he graduated from the Central Institute and in 1907
completed the course and graduated from the Case School of
Applied Science with the degree Civil Engineer.
On leaving college Mr. Jasienski took his first
work in Detroit, where for a year he had charge of the survey
work for the Great Lakes Engineering Company. Returning to
Cleveland, he was superintendent of construction with the
Kellogg Construction Company six months, four months as a fitter
helper on construction with the Brown Hoist Company, then for
two years did designing for steel and concrete bridges and shops
with the Lake Shore Railroad. Following that he was for
two years with the Dyer Engineering Company, erectors of beet
sugar plants, as designer of mill buildings. Another
addition to his experience was the work he did in the county
engineer's office, and he had charge of the designing of the
Brooklyn-Brighton Bridge. He spent two years in this
public work and since then has been practicing architecture
independently with offices in the Rose Building.
Some of the more important works which he has designed
and supervised are the Cedar Theater, costing $30,000; St.
Stanislaus Nuns' Home. $60,000: three-story apartment at the
corner of One Hundredth Street and Euclid Avenue. $36,000;
auditorium and store building of the Alliance of Poles Club,
corner of Broadway and Formal) streets, $8,000; Salisbury Ball
Bearing Plant at Ninety-third and Sandusky streets, $30,000;
Pavelka Sausage Factory at East Thirty-seventh and Broadway,
$18,000, besides a number of churches, apartments and
residences.
Source: History of Cleveland and its Environs - The Heart of New
Connecticut - Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago and
New York - 1918 - Page 411 - Vol. II
-----
* Building no longer standing as of 2021 |
|
CAPT.
LEVI JOHNSON was one of the most
interesting of the early characters of Cleveland, and a man
whose constructive enterprise had much to do with changing and
directing the current of business activities which eventualized
in the rearing of a mighty city where at his early acquaintance
had stood only a village with no special distinction to mark it
out from half a dozen or more other places of similar size and
importance. Two specific distinctions have always been
accorded Captain Johnson in local history. The
first frame building in the town was put up by him, and he also
owned the first ship ever launched at this part.
He was born in Herkimer County, New York, Apr. 25,
1786, and was early left an orphan. He remained in the
home of an uncle until he was fourteen. He worked on a
farm, attended school when opportunity offered, and from the
first his training was one of diligence and good habits of body
and mind. He spent four years with Ephraim
Derrick in learning the trade of carpenter and joiner.
He possessed a mechanical ingenuity, and though his school
opportunties were limited he had accurate processes of
thought and a methodical mind which did much to promote his
subsequent business success. After leaving his first
employer he was with Laflet Remington as a
journeyman workman for three years. He also put in a year
building barns in his section of New York, being associated with
Stephen Remington.
This brings his life up to 1807. The great tide
of immigration which was destined to people and develop the
Middle West had already begun to flow, and thousands were
interested in the lands west of the Alleghenys. A brother
of Stephen Remington had toured Northern Ohio, and
was especially favorably impressed with the advantages of the
settlement of Newburg in Cuyahoga County. On his return
East he made a report of his investigations, which was the
direct cause of inducing a large number of people to go from New
York to Ohio. One of them was Stephen Remington,
who at once shut up his shop as a carpenter, packed his tools,
and in the fall of 1807 started for Cuyhoga County.
In the spring of 1808 Levi Johnson
followed suit. However, his journey to Northern Ohio was a
series of stages. On reaching Bloomfield, New York, he spent the
summer working at his trade, and a few months later proceeded
westward, carrying a knapsack on his back. Arriving at
Buffalo, he again found employment and put in the winter there.
In the month of February his uncle reached Buffalo, also on his
way to Ohio, and the two then journeyed together westward.
They arrived in Cleveland Mar. 10, 1809. They had traveled
in a sleigh to Cleveland. Warmer weather set in, the snow
disappeared, and the sleigh had to be abandoned. Some of
the party then proceeded on horseback to Huron County, where
they met Judge Wright and Mr. Ruggles,
who were agents for the Connecticut "fire land," in that part of
Ohio. One of the immediate needs for the development of
that country was a saw mill. Levi Johnson
took the contract to build one at the town of Jessup, now known
as Wakeman.
In the interval Mr. Johnson returned to
Cleveland and fortunately found a home in the family of Judge
Walworth, then the leading citizen of the village.
Judge Walworth secured Mr. Johnson's
services to build an office. Up to that time all the
houses in Cleveland were of logs. Judge
Walworth's office was the first frame building. At
that time Euclid was a flourishing settlement and had the only
saw mill in that section of the country. That saw mill
made the lumber which was used by Mr. Johnson in
putting up the frame office on Superior Street where the
American House now stands.
Having thus laid his first claim to distinction in the
history of Cleveland, Mr. Johnson returned to
Huron County for the purpose of carrying out his contract to
erect a saw mill for his uncle. It required three or four
months to do this, and Mr. Johnson then returned
to Cleveland determined to make this his permanent home.
For several years he was almost constantly employed building
houses and other buildings in Cleveland and in Newburg. He
was employed in constructing a saw mill on Tinker's Creek
for Mr. Jessup, and while working there made the
acquaintance of Miss Margaret Montier.
She was the first white girl to come to Huron County and lived
there with a family named Hawley. Captain
Johnson and Miss Montier became well
acquainted, determined to proceed through life as partners, and
she went back to Cleveland with Mr. Johnson and
temporarily lived in the home of Judge Walworth,
which was then the chief place in the village of sixty
inhabitants. In 1811 Levi Johnson and
Miss Montier were married, and they soon set up their
home in a log cabin he had erected on Euclid Avenue near the
square.
In the Cleveland of a century ago there were buildings
at every turn which were the product of Levi Johnson's skill as
a carpenter and contractor. In 1812 he took a contract to
build the first court house and jail at the northwest corner of
the square, opposite the present site of the First Presbyterian
Church. The material was to be of logs. In order to
make the structure as solid as possible, the broad sides of the
logs were placed together. About noon on the 10th of
September, 1813, Mr. Johnson and his men were
putting the finishing touches to this building. Sounds
were heard that were first taken to be distant thunder, but on
more careful investigation proved to be the roar of distant
cannon. Captain Johnson and his workmen
hastened to the banks of the lake, all the inhabitants of the
village had in the meantime collected, and this was the first
announcement to the people of Cleveland of the great battle
being fought at Put-in-Bay by Commodore Perry with
the British fleet, a battle which gave the command of the Great
Lakes to the American forces during the remainder of the War of
1812.
A few days after this battle Levi Johnson
and a friend found a large flat boat that had been built by
General Jessup for the conveyance of troops and had
been abandoned. The two men bought a hundred bushels of
potatoes and loading them on the flat boat proceeded to the army
and navy headquarters at Put-in-Bay, where the potatoes proved a
welcome addition to the army fare and brought the partners a
handsome profit. That was the first of Levi
Johnson 's successful commercial transactions and as much as
anything else started him on the road to prosperity. Later he
and his companion loaded the flat boat with supplies which were
taken to the army at Detroit, and again gave them a large
profit. Mr. Johnson entered into a contract
with the quartermaster of the Detroit Post to carry a cargo of
clothing to the army. It was late in the season and the
boat was obstructed by ice, compelling a landing at Huron.
Nevertheless the cargo was delivered and those were the initial
successes of Capt. Levi Johnson as a contractor and an
important figure in the lake transportation business.
He next proceeded with the construction of a vessel of
his own. The keel was laid for a ship of thirty-five tons,
named Highland. Under many difficulties this boat was
finally completed and its launching was a big event in the
history of the Cleveland of that day. The boat was hoisted
on wheels, and with much strenuous exertion was finally drawn to
the edge of the water by twenty-eight yoke of oxen. This
launching occurred on the river at the foot of Superior Street,
and an immense crowd, as measured in proportion to the
population of Northern Ohio at that time, cheered and applauded
the exploit. It was the first boat of any size constructed
and launched at Cleveland and marks the beginning of Cleveland's
history as a shipping center.
In the meantime Mr. Johnson continued his
business as a builder. He is credited with having built
the gallows on which the Indian O'Mic was hanged.
In 1811 he put up the Buckeye House and many of the historic
structures of the early days were the work of his hands and his
organization. He made a great success of his first boat,
and when it was launched it was requisitioned for army purposes
and on it army stores were transported between Buffalo and
Detroit. Two loads of soldiers were also taken from
Buffalo to the command of Major Camp at Detroit. On the
return trip the guns left by Harrison at Maumee were taken to
Erie. In this business Mr. Johnson lost $300
as a result of the quartermaster absconding. In 1815 he began
transporting stores to Maiden, making his first trip on March
20th. On the second trip to Detroit he was hailed when
passing Maiden, and when his boat did not stop a shot was fired,
the ball passing through the foresail, and after the second shot
Mr. Johnson brought his vessel to the shore.
The commander of the fort, demanded the mail, but Mr.
Johnson declined to give it up and though an attempt was
made to detain his vessel he spread sail and with a favorable
wind got away from his pursuers and did not stop until he had
delivered the mail safely at the Detroit post office. In
1815 Captain Johnson built the schooner Neptune,
of sixty-five tons, and after taking it to Buffalo he returned
with a cargo of merchandise consigned to Jonathan
Williamson. In 1817 this vessel made a trip to
Mackinac for the American Fur Company, and was employed in the
fur trade until the fall of 1819.
In 1824 Captain Johnson and his
associates built the first steamer ever constructed at
Cleveland. It was known as the Enterprise and was of about
200 tons capacity. The Cleveland Press recently published
some interesting items concerning this pioneer steamboat, and in
the .course of the article said: "The building of the Enterprise
may be said to mark the beginning of Cleveland 's importance in
Great Lakes traffic and the industrial progress resulting
therefrom. The Enterprise was much different from the ore
freighters that now enter the Cleveland harbor. She was
perhaps one-fifth as long and burned wood for fuel. To
Clevelanders she represented a great evolution not only in
freight but in passenger traffic. Those accustomed to
travel by water had been forced to put up with rude, stuffy
quarters in the cabin of a sailing vessel. Although the
Enterprise mainly carried freight, she had quarters for
passengers." The Enterprise subsequently sailed back and
forth over the lake between Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland until
1828. In that year Captain Johnson sold his
interest in the vessel. In 1830, with the firm of
Goodman & Wilkeson, he built the Commodore on the
Chagrin River, and the construction of this vessel closed his
career as a ship builder. He afterwards contracted to
build for the general government the old stone lighthouse on the
site of the present one at Cleveland harbor. He also built
the lighthouse at Cedar Point and set the buoys marking the
channel to and into Sandusky Bay. Later Captain
Johnson built 700 feet of the east government pier at
Cleveland.
His various ventures as a builder and vessel owner gave
him what was then regarded as a substantial fortune, and he
prudently invested it in real estate. He always showed
great faith in Cleveland as a coming city and that faith has
been remarkably justified since his lifetime. Even before
be died he was rated as a millionaire, and yet he had come to
Cleveland almost as a penniless workman. In 1860 he became
a director in the Commercial Bank of Lake Erie. He was always a
builder, though not in the original sense. Through his
capital he erected some of the structures which were considered
the latest word in modern architecture in those days, and he
improved some of the most conspicuous lots in the city.
In 1812 Captain Johnson was chosen
coroner of Cuyahoga County, being the first incumbent of the
office. He was also the first man appointed deputy
sheriff. He was one of the last survivors of that group of
men who had laid the permanent foundation of the city, whose
greatness he was in a position to appreciate and realize before
his death. Capt. Levi Johnson died
Dec. 19, 1871, at the age of eighty-six. He and his wife
reared three children: Harriet, Periander and
Philander L.
Source: History of Cleveland and its Environs - The Heart of New
Connecticut - Publ. The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago and
New York - 1918 - Page 146 - Vol. II |
NOTES: |