OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Scioto County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Biographies

Source:
History of Lower Scioto Valley
Together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational,
Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History, Portraits of Prominent Persons,
and Biographies of Representative Citizens
Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co.
1884

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
 

JOHN POWER LACROIX was born of French parents in Haverhill, Scioto Co., Ohio, Feb. 24, 1833.  His boyhood days were spent on his father’s farm, among the hills of Southern Ohio.  At the age of eighteen he entered the preparatory department of the Ohio Wesleyan University, remaining there, with the exception of a few months, for six years, and was one of a class of twelve who graduated in 1857.  He was a member of the Athenian Society and was noted for his literary productions.  During his college life he read incessantly, especially the early English poets.  Chaucer and Spencer were his favorite authors.  He composed many beautiful poems which were published in the Western.  Cincinnati Gazette and many of the local papers.  So general was his information that he wrote on almost every subject.  He was a. diligent and successful student.  About a year after he entered college a fire broke out one night not far from his room, but instead of standing carelessly by and watching the fire, his fellow-students were much amused at seeing him holding up his Greek grammar in the light of the flames and committing a paradigm.  In the winter of 1857 he went to New Orleans, and for two years was engaged in teaching.  Coming in daily contact with French people he improved his opportunities and paid much attention to the French language and literature.  He also wrote Latin letters to his classmates and friends in the North, so great was his taste for the languages.  A short time before the war broke out he returned North and was admitted on trial to the Ohio Conference and preached three years.  In 1863 he was elected tutor of modern languages in the Ohio University.  A year later he was made assistant professor, and the following year went to Europe and studied at Berlin and Halle.  He returned in the fall of 1886 and was elected Professor of Modern Languages and History, which chair he held till his death, Sept. 22, 1879.  Although a man of weak constitution, he performed a marvelous amount of labor.  Hot a day passed but he wrote something for publication.  Many of his articles were written before breakfast.  He was a constant contributor to the Western, Pittsburg, Northern, Central and California Advocates, and wrote occasionally for the College Transcript, Independent, Zion's Herald, Methodist Recorder, etc.  He wrote much in former years to the Ladies' Repository.  The Bibliotheca Sacra, Southern Quarterly and Methodist Quarterly Review often contained articles from his pen.  He also reviewed French and German books at great length.  President Payne said of him: “  He man ever wrote more or better.  He was one of the most productive writers of the day.  I never met from his pen a weak or a puerile sentence.”  Among the books he translated may be mentioned, Wuttke’s “Christian Ethics,” Pressense’s “Religion and Reign of Terror,” Haville’s “Problem of Evil,” and Abelon’s “William the Taciturn.”  His last work was the “Outlines of Christian Ethics ’’—ethics was his favorite study.  By his books and articles he gained not only a national but a worldwide reputation, as his books were read not only by the great of this land, but also by some of the leading thinkers of France and Germany.  He often had letters from such men as Naville, Schoeberlein, Ulrici, and Riehm, thanking him for this or that article.  Let the following estimate of his character, by Dr. Merrick, as nearly as his language can be reproduced, close this article: “As a scholar his learning was various and correct; as a thinker, he was independent and profound; as a writer, ready and forcible; as a preacher, eminently instructive; as a teacher, successful; as a Christian, profoundly devout and sincerely pious.  He believed the Bible to be God’s word—God’s teaching to him.  His religion was not a mere form, but a life; that life had its root in God and was nourished by communion with God.  His addresses before God’s throne were peculiarly impressive.  He was remarkably conscientious.  As a friend he was open and frank; no scheming about him.  He was what he seemed to be, perfectly open, a friend, a true friend.  Many of us found him such.”
~ Page 361 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
IRA M. LAMB was born in Scioto County, in 1856, and is the youngest son of Reuben and Lavina Lamb.  His parents were natives of this county, and were married in 1845.  Reuben Lamb followed farming till his death in 1854.  He left six children - Mary J., Willard, Phineas B., Persens L., Horace T. and Ira M.  His farm contains 160 acres and is now occupied by his widow.  Our subject has pursued farming through his life.  His mother resided on the homestead forty-three years.  Willard Lamb, eldest son of Reuben and Lavina (Chaffin) Lamb, was born June 28, 1844, in this county.  He was educated at the district schools and has followed farming pursuits all his life.  He was married in 1868 to Rebecca M., daughter of Jacob Sturnbaugh, of Scioto County.  They are parents of five children - Emma M., Clara E., Lucinda, Hattie M. and Reuben T.  He has a good farm on the Ohio bottoms and is one of the successful farmers of the Scioto Valley.
~ Page 362 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
CAPTAIN HENRY LANTZ was born Feb. 22, 1831, near McArthur, Vinton County, a son of Aaron and Leah (Claypool) Lantz, the former born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1793, and the latter born in Greenbrier County, Va., in 1803.  They were married in 1818 and settled in Jackson County, where the father died in 1842.  His wife is still residing in McArthur.  Our subject was married Dec. 21, 1852, to Lavina H. Bennett, who was born Sept. 27, 1833, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Mills) Bennett, natives of New York State.  After his marriage Henry Lantz engaged in milling in Vinton County, Ohio, till 1860 when he moved to Harrison Township Scioto County.  Apr. 16, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Twenty-second Ohio Infantry, and was First Duty Sergeant of his company.  He was discharged at Athens, Ohio, Aug. 15, 1861, and remained at home till Sept. 16, 1861, when he returned and helped organize Company F, Fifty-sixth Ohio Infantry, of which he was commissioned First Lieutenant, Nov. 21, 1861.  He remained with this company till he re-enlisted as a veteran, Feb. 1, 1864, and was discharged at New Orleans, Nov. 21, 1864.  He then raised Company K, One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Ohio Infantry, and was commissioned Captain, March 14, 1865.  He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Holly Springs, Vicksburg, Chickasaw, Port Gibson, Champion Hills, and a number o others, and was discharged Oct. 24, 1865, at Washington, D. C.  He was taken prisoner at Brandon, Miss., and about three months later was exchanged, and returned to his regiment.  He participated in the Red River expedition under General Banks, and was on the streamer John A. Warner when she surrendered.  After the war he located at McArthur about three years, and in 1869 he moved to Greenup County, Ky., and since 1873 has resided in Harrisonville, Ohio.  He is a member of Scioto Post, No. 287, G. A. R., and of Delta Lodge, No. 207, F. & A. M.  He also belongs to McArthur Lodge, I. O. O. F.
~ Page 346 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
D. V. LARKIN, farmer, postoffice Portsmouth, was born in Galena, Delaware Co., Ohio, Aug. 20, 1826, son of Stephen Van R. and Mary (Rosecrans) Larkin, his father a native of Albany, N. Y., and his mother of Essex County, N. J.  Sept. 18, 1850, he married Margaret Johnson, of Ross County.  Twelve children have been born to them, but seven now living —Alice, Lilly, Carey, Charles, Henry, Maggie and Effie.  Marshall A. died Sept. 27, 1854; Anna Belle, Aug. 26, 1864; Jessie, Feb. 13, 1882, and two died in infancy.  In 1853 Mr. Larkin settled in Scioto County.  He has 160 acres of valuable land, with a fine residence, overlooking the city of Portsmouth.  He is a member of the I. O. O. F., subordinate lodge I. O. O. F., No. 31, and Orient Encampment, No. 28.  In 1864 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fortieth Ohio National Guards and served four months.  He has served several terms as Township Trustee.  Mr. Larkin’s father came to Ohio when a young man and settled in Delaware County.  Afterward removed to Fairfield County, where he died, Feb. 18, 1845, aged forty-eight years.  His wife was a daughter of Jacob Rosecrans—a brother of Crandall, the father of General Rosecrans.  She died June 27, 1871.  They reared a family of six children —Joseph E., D. V., Amy, Sarah, William C. and James M. Joseph E. enlisted in 1861 in Battery L, First Ohio Light Artillery, and was captured at Warrenton Junction, Dec. 24, 1863.   He was imprisoned at Libby and afterward at Andersonville, where he succumbed to the infamous treatment of the fiend Wirtz, and died May 25, 1864.  His remains rest in the National Cemetery, Andersonville, Grave No. 1,364.  He was born Jan. 26, 1825.  James M. enlisted in Company A, Thirtieth Ohio Infantry, in the early part of the war; served as Orderly Sergeant.  He was wounded in July, 1864, at Atlanta, in the shoulder.  He was granted a furlough, but died at the home of his brother, D. V., Aug. 15, 1864.  William C. enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fortieth Ohio National Guards, and served four months, and afterward re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Ohio Infantry and served till the close of the war.
~ Page 448 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
G. F. LAUMAN, dealer in general merchandise, Bear Creek, was born in Kentucky in 1840, and came with his parents to Ohio when a mere boy.  He began his mercantile career at Waverly, as a salesman.  He afterward  clerked in Jasper eight years, and in 1872 established his present place of business.  He carries a complete stock of groceries, dry-goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes and notions.  He buys and sells country produce, and does an annual business of $15,000.  April 17, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, First Ohio Infantry, for three months, being the first man enrolled from Pike County.  He was seriously wounded in the side and hand at Vienna, which incapacitated him for further service, and he was discharged and returned home.  He has served several terms as Treasurer of Morgan Township, and from 1875 till July 9, 1882, was Postmaster at Bear Creek.  He is a member of Waverly Lodge, A. F. & A. M.  Oct. 6, 1864, he was married to Mary L. Watkins.
~ Page 410 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
REV. J. S. T. LAVINDER was born in Wythe County, Va., in 1842, a son of John S. and Jane (Baker) Lavinder, natives of France.  His early life was spent in school.  Later he attended college at Charlottesville and Richmond, Va., and graduated at Lebanon, Pa.  In 1862 he enlisted in the Second West Virginia Cavalry, Company B; was in the commands of Sheridan and Custer, participatingin the raids planned by them.  He was in the battles of Wytheville, Lewisburg, Cheat Mountain, Lynchburg, Winchester, Fisher’s Hill, Appomattox and many others.  At the battle of Five Forks he was wounded in the right hip by a piece of shell.  He had a horse
killed at Wytheville, one at Lynchburg, one at Bunker Hill and one at Stanton.  He was captured June 27, 1863, and taken to Libby Prison; was paroled in August, and exchanged in December.  At Bunker Hill he and fifteen others were captured twice the same night, but escaped both times.  He was discharged June 30, 1865, and resumed teaching.  He has taught in several States of the Union and in 1875 came to Scioto County, where he is now a teacher in the public schools of Friendship.  Since 1882 he has been Clerk of Nile Township.  He was married June 28, 1873, to Ameria F. Fry.  They have four children —Sarah G., Wilford W., Jessie M., and Floyd
H.   Mr. Lavinder was ordained a minister of the Christian church in 1879, and for three years was regularly engaged in the ministry.  He is and has always been a Republican.
~ Page 433 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
WILLIAM F. LAWSON was born June 2, 1830, on the farm where he now resides, and spent his youth in working on the farm and attending this district schools.  He was married in 1853 to Abigail, daughter of John s. Burke, one of the early settlers of the county.  They have eight children - Alonzo, Della, Addie, Burke, Agnes, Lulu, Ernest and Floyd H.  Mr. Lawson's farm contains fifty-one acres of choice land.  His grandfather, William Lawson, emigrated from Virginia to Ohio in an early day, and died about 1840.  His children were - John, Manasseh, Enoch, William, Madison, Thomas, Polly, Ruth, Tenie, Nancy and Maria.  Our subject's father, Manasseh, was born in Scioto County, and died in 1847.  His wife died in July, 1870.  They reared a family of seven children, of whom four are now living - William F., Thomas B., Benjamin F. and John R., all living in Illinois except William F.
~ Page 337 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
FRED LEGLER (deceased) was born June 27, 1832, in Baden, Germany, and in 1838 came to America with his father, Joseph Legler, who died in Portsmouth in 1870, aged over seventy years.  Our subject came to Portsmouth when twelve years of age, and spent his time in hotels and driving dray for a flour milling company.  He was married Jan. 8, 1857, to Eva E. Eck, born Feb. 24, 1837, in Darmstadt, Germany.  Of their six children five are living - Charles J., born Dec. 14, 1857, and married Oct. 5, 1882, to Mary Schwarz, of Portsmouth; Fred L., born Dec. 20, 1859; Frank J., Jan. 8, 1862, George A., April 3, 1864, and Clara B., March 20, 1875.  William R. was born April 3, 1864, and died at the age of three years and eight months.  In 1855, Mr. Legler, in connection with Mr. Wolford, opened the Eagle Hotel, and in 1856 bought out his partner's interest and carried on the business alone till 1863.  He then ran the White Bear Hotel till 1866, when he moved to the hotel where his widow and three eldest sons still carry on the business.  Mr. Legler ran this hotel from 1867 till 1880, when he died.
 ~ Page 274 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
HENRY LEIVE, wagon-maker, Webster, was born in Germany, Jan. 31, 1837.  He was educated in his native country, and when eighteen years of age, May, 1855, came to the United States and located at Webster, Ohio.  He has the only wagon shop in Webster, and combines with it the undertaking business.  At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in the three months’ service, and afterward enlisted in Company B, Tenth Ohio Infantry, for three years.  He was in many severe battles, serving under General Rosecrans.  He was mustered out June 17, 1864, and returned to Webster, and soon after married Mary Sudbrock, a native of Germany.  They have four children—Maggie, William, Harry and LucyMr. Leive is a member of I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 416, Portsmouth.  He is a member of the German Lutheran church.
~ Page 384 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN LEMON was born in Jackson County, Ohio, Sept. 1, 1844, the eldest son of Lemuel and Rebecca Lemon, his father a native of Ohio, and his mother of Pennsylvania.  When he was seven years of age his parents removed to Scioto County, where he was reared and educated.  They now live in Bloom Township.  Mr. Lemon now has a farm of 126 acres, well improved, with a good dwelling and farm buildings.  He was married in 1866 to Mary S., daughter of Stephen and Elizabeth Boren.  They have seven children—David F., Lewis F., Rebecca J., Amanda A., Cora A., Mary E. and Florence.  Mr. and Mrs. Lemon are members of the Christian church.  David Lemon, the youngest son of Lemuel and Rebecca Lemon, was born in 1846.  He was married in 1870 to Elizabeth, daughter of Abraham and Susan Beekman.  They have six children—Clarence, George, Dallas, Floyd, Flora and ClayMr. and Mrs. David Lemon are members of the Christian church.
~ Page 371 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN M. LENHART was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1848, a son of Martin Lenhart, a native of Germany, who came to America in 1846, and died in Portsmouth in 1855, aged thirty-eight years.  He learned the trade of tinner when twelve years of age.  He worked as a journeyman till he established his present business in 1873.  He is located on Market street, between Second and Third streets, and deals in stoves, copper, tin and sheet-iron ware.  The plumbing, gas and steam fitting is carried on in company with George H. Graham.  Outside work done to order.  His salesroom is 18 x 140 feet, and he employs five hands, with an annual business of $14,000.  Mr. Lenhart was married in 1868 to Catharine Urlich.  They have three children - Lucy, Rose and John P.  Mr. Lenhart is a member of several mutual-aid societies.
 ~ Page 274 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
CHARLES LEONARD was born in Allegheny County, Pa., Dec. 12, 1840. He came to Ohio in 1864 and located at Scioto Furnace.  In 1868 he was appointed agent of the C., W. & B. Railroad—a position he still holds.  Mr. Leonard enlisted in the war of the Rebellion at Pittsburg, in the Thirteenth Pennsylvania Infantry, and served three months.  He subsequently enlisted for three years in the One Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Infantry.  He served under General McClellan, and at the battle of Williamsburg, Va., was shot in the left arm, shattering the bone, for which he draws a pension of $3 per month.  He was mustered out in 1864.  Mr. Leonard is a brother of Mrs. George S. Williams, widow of George S. Williams, the former manager of the Scioto Furnace, who died April 30, 1881.  He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
~ Page 384 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN W. LEWIS was born in Albion, Orleans Co., N. Y., Dec. 25, 1841, a son of Robert W. Lewis, who came with his family to Portsmouth in 1853.  His father and brother Frederick were killed at the blowing up of the steamboat W. R. Carter, Feb. 21, 1866, and not an atom of them or their clothing has ever been found.  His mother is still living, aged sixty-eight years, but has never been well since the death of her husband and son, and for the past fourteen years has been bedridden.  John W. remained with his father till 1860, and then worked for the Scioto and Hocking Valley Railroad till 1862, when ho went into business with his father.  In 1864 he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Fortieth Ohio Infantry, for 100 days.  After his return home he was with his father till February, 1865, when he went with his brother-in-law John Fawn, to Vicksburg.  Soon after his arrival in Vicksburg, or about the first of April, 1865, he was employed by W. B. McCormick as clerk of the steamboat Keoto, loaded with goods and bound for Sunflower River to trade for cotton.  They arrived at Rolling Forks, Sunflower River, about the 8th of April, and two days later were captured by the Confederates, in command of Sergeant Likes, and were taken to Grenada, Miss.  They arrived there about the 18th, and first heard of the assassination of President Lincoln and Lee’s surrender.  They were kept by the rebels about a week and then sent to Vicksburg.  After his return to Portsmouth he carried on a hat store five years.  In 1870 he was elected Sheriff of the county, serving till 1875. He then dealt in horses a year, and in September, 1876, bought a half interest in the City Livery Stables.  In the spring of 1883 he was elected City Marshall of Portsmouth. March 1, 1868, Mr. Lewis married Lake Erie Hoomes.  They have seven children—Mattie W., Kate R., Jennie F., Fred W., Bessie H., Garnet A., Charlotte.   Mr. Lewis is a member of the I. O. O. F., G. A. R. and I. O. M.
~ Page 275 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
SMITH S. LITTLEJOHN was born in Jackson County, Ohio, June 18, 1858, a son of James and Cynthia (Smith) Littlejohn, his father a native of Porter Township, Scioto Co., Ohio, born in 1820, and his mother a native of Greenup Co., Ky., his parents are residents of this township.  They have raised a family of seven children, all now living.  Smith S. received a common-school education, and attended one term at the National Normal School, Lebanon, Ohio, and when nineteen years of age began to teach.  He works on a farm in the summer and teaches in the winter.  He is one of the best disciplinarians and instructors in the county.  In 1881 he married Amelia S. Ranshahous, a native of Portsmouth, Ohio.  They have one daughter - Addie A.  Mr. Littlejohn is Justice of the Peace of this township.
~ Page 328 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
CHARLES P. LLOYD was born June 10, 1840, at Portsmouth, Ohio, and attended the public schools of his native place till fifteen years old, after which he attended the Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, for five years, graduating from there in June, 1860.  He then read law at Portsmouth six months and in the spring of 1861 he went to Iowa, and for three years was engaged in farming in Muscatine County.  He then returned to Portsmouth and engaged in the wholesale boot and shoe business under the firm name of R. Lloyd & Sons, which was afterward changed to Lloyd, Tracy & Co.  He finally sold out his business and in 1876 was elected Treasurer of the Scioto Fire-Brick Company, and the following year was appointed President and General Superintendent of that company, which position he still holds.  He was married Feb. 26, 1863, to Laura J. Bentley, born at Hanging Rock, Ohio, Feb. 23, 1843.  This union has been blessed with two children  - Richard Bentley, born Dec. 13, 1863, and Genevieve, born Nov. 14, 1880.  Mr. Lloyd and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  He is also a member of the Aurora Lodge of Freemasons, No. 48, and a Knight Templar, Commandery No. 13.
~ Page 328 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
MISS MAGGIE LLOYD, millinery and notions, Chillicothe street, between Third and Fourth streets, Portsmouth, is a daughter of William and Jane (Roberts) Lloyd, natives of Monmouthshire, Wales, who came with a family of eight children to the United States in 1847, arriving in Portsmouth, Ohio, in July.  In 1848 both parents died the same day with cholera and were buried in the same grave.  Their children are—Thomas, a clothing merchant in Wales; William, died in 1872; David; Robert; Ann; Maria, wife of Judge J.C. Evans, of Jackson; Maggie and JosephMiss Lloyd became established in business in 1867.  Her stock is full and complete and her aim is to supply all the wants of the trade, and fill all orders promptly and satisfactorily.
~ Page 275 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
HENRY LOCKHART, farmer and Notary Public, postoffice Pond Run, was born in Jackson County, W. Va., in 1829, a son of Isaac and Sarah (Sheppard) Lockhart.  When nineteen years of age he began to teach school, an occupation he followed ten years.  He was married in 1859 to Rebecca, daughter of Wm. S. Trickett, of West Virginia, and settled on a farm in Wirt County; W. Va.  In the spring of 1865 he bought eighty acres in Scioto County, Ohio, which he sold in 1869, purchasing his present place of 201 acres.  He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1867, and discharged the duties of that office twelve years.  He was Postmaster of Pond Run ten years, receiving his appointment from President Grant.  In the floods of 1883 his farm was left completely bare.  His wife died April 10, 1875, aged thirty-seven years, leaving six children—Cora B., Sarah F., William P., Samuel A., John H. and Charles R; an infant is deceased.  Politically Mr. Lockhart is a Republican.  He is a member of Scioto Lodge, No. 31, I. O. O. F., Portsmouth.
~ Page 433 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
HENRY W. LOOMIS was born Dec. 8, 1831, in Ashtabula County, Ohio, and lived on the home farm till attaining his majority, after which he engaged in teaching school. He was married in 1859 to Martha J. Richart, a native of Scioto County.  They have had a family of seven children—Harry W., Benjamin F., Rockwell A., Charles R., Laura E., Jessie P., and Annie L.  Mr. Loomis has made farming his principal business during his life and has at present a good farm of 120 acres.  He studied law early in life and was admitted to the bar in 1859, but has not practiced much at his profession.  He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1860 and held the office till the following year.  He was re-elected in 1875 and served two terms.  In politics he is a Republican.  He and wife are members of the Baptist church, of which he is Deacon.  His father, Harry W. Loomis, was born June 16, 1791, in Connecticut, and was married Nov. 22, 1814, to Nancy, daughter of Judge Wright, of Ashtabula County.  The father died July, 1866, and the mother, who was a native of Connecticut, died in May, 1859.
~ Page 384 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
AUGUSTINE LORBERG, merchant tailor, corner of Second and Court streets, Portsmouth, was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, Jan. 1, 1825, a son of Frederick Lorberg.  In 1846 he came alone to America, landing in New York, June 2,  In the fall of 1857 he established his present business in Portsmouth.  He keeps a complete stock of woolens, cloths and cassimeres, and employs six tailors, besides outside assistance.  He does an annual business of $12,000, having as his customers the first people of Portsmouth.  He was married in 1848 to Anna Shafer, of Bavaria, Germany.  They have five children - Samuel, Henry, Charles, Rosa Ann, Nellie.  They have been members of the German Methodist Episcopal church since 1847.
 ~ Page 275 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOSEPH LUCAS, farmer, was born in Virginia in 1771.  He came to Scioto County, Ohio, in 1797, and settled in what is now Rush Township.  He was a member of the Legislature when the assembly met at Chillicothe, and was on the judicial bench as Associate Judge.  He was an enterprising and energetic man, but only lived to the age of thirty-seven years.  He was married in 1792 to Hannah Humphreys.  To them were born —Rebecca, born Jan. 27, 1796, married March 3, 1814, Jacob Hibbs, Sr.; William, born in 1799, married in 1821; Levisa, born in 1802, married in 1828 John Brown, of Pike County; Joseph, born in 1804, married Frances Brown in 1828; Samuel, born in 1807, married Nancy Hitchcock in 1833; Elizabeth, born in 1809, died when seventeen years of age.  Rebecca,William and Elizabeth were all residents of Scioto County.  Joseph and Samuel passed their later years near Muscatine, Iowa.  Levisa lived in Pike County.  Her three children, Mrs. Hannah Patterson, Samuel and Henry Brown, are well known in Piketon, Ohio.  Mr. Lucas was a member of the Presbyterian church.
~ Page 276 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN W. LUMMIS, farmer, was born in 1816, in Cumberland Co., N. J., and when about twenty-one years of age, came to Hanging Rock, Ohio, where he engaged as engineer for a Mr. Dempsey.  He had previously learned the trade of a machinist in the city of Wheeling.  He then took a position in a furnace in Tennessee, which did not prove profitable, so he returned to Ohio and purchased property in Portsmouth.  He then went to Bloom Furnace, where he worked twenty years.  He has at present an excellent farm of eighty-four acres adjoining the town of Webster. He was married to Elizabeth Chaffin, daughter of Shadrach Chaffin, an old and influential citizen of the county.  They have three children living—Sarah E., wife of Simeon Evans, of Ironton; Shadrach C., a telegraph operator at Ironton, and Jacob, on the farm with his father.  Mrs. Lummis died in March, 1883.  The parents of Mr. Lummis came from New Jersey, and settled in Zanesville, Ohio, but afterward removed to the State of Iowa, where they lived till their death.
~ Page 385 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
J. N. LUTZ, photographer, of Portsmouth, Ohio, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1842.  He came to America in 1855, locating in Portsmouth in 1873. He learned the art of photography with W. S. Porter, of Cincinnati, Ohio, remaining with him five years, and is a perfect master of the art, understanding all branches from a tin-type to an oil or crayon portrait. He makes a specialty of views, having calls from a distance of twenty miles for that work.  In 1878 he was burned out, losing his entire stock and building; valued at $2,500, insured for $1,000.  He immediately re-built, commencing Jan. 1, and was ready for work April 1.  His work is first-class, and he deserves the patronage of all who desire first-class work.  June 8, 1863, Mr. Lutz married Annie J., only daughter of Wm. Justice, a printer, of Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Lutz, though a man far above the average in his profession, is unassuming and extremely companionable.
~ Page 276 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
T. M. LYNN was born in County Derry, Ireland, in July, 1833, and when fourteen years of age came with his parents to the United States.  He worked five years at the tailor’s trade, in Pittsburg, Pa., but not liking it came to Portsmouth and started a cook-stove, tin-ware and notion wagon, supplying stores and families. In 1856 he opened a livery and feed stable just east of his present place of business.  In 1871 he was burned out, losing about $1,500, with no insurance.  He immediately built his present stable.  The old stable was 52% x 62 feet, two stories high.  Mr. Lynn has sold eleven and a half feet at $100 a foot, and on the remainder he contemplates erecting a new building, 60x41, one half of the front to be used as an office, the back part for horses, and the upper floor for storing hacks.  His present building is three-stories high, 124 x 41 feet, with a capacity for forty-five horses.  He usually keeps twenty horses, all styles of wagons, buggies and hacks, and boards from fifteen to twenty horses.  He keeps four hands down stairs and one washing buggies.  His nephew, Frank Lynn, is assistant superintendent of the business.  Mr. Lynn has some very valuable horses.  Three of his teams are worth $800 each.  In 1861 he sold the noted Dan Rice for $16,000. Mr. Lynn was married June 14, 1859, to Susan Cockrill, a native of Scioto County, Ohio.  They have one daughter—Susan.  Mr. Lynn is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
~ Page 276 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
T. M. LYNN

~ Page 357 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884

OLIVER LYONS, of the firm of J. D. Clare & Co., of Bloom Furnace, was born in Lehigh County, Pa., Dec. 24, 1839, remaining in his native State till thirteen years of age.  When nine years of age he went over to Ireland, the native country of his parents.  He came with his parents to Steubenville, Ohio, where he attended school, after which he went to Ćtna Furnace, where his parents had gone some time before.  He was employed at Ćtna Furnace some years when he he went to Vesuvius Furnace, where he was engaged as engineer two and a half years.  In 1861 he enlisted in the Union army and soon after was employed by the Government as a teamster, and was afterward promoted Superintendent of the Government road from Charleston, Va., to Fayetteville.  He then returned to Vesuvius Furnace, where he was manager six months.  He was employed in different furnaces till 1879, when he became part owner and manager of Bloom Furnace.  He was married Sept. 25, 1869, to Sarah J. Songer, who has borne him six children.  Mr. Lyons belongs to Lawrence Lodge, No. 198, A. F. & A. M.
~ Page 385 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
SCIOTO COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights