A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


Newspaper Excerpts
includes births, deaths, marriages, and all other types of news
for the Stark County, Ohio Area
(Submitted by Sharon Wick)

Note:  For more possible news for Stark County, See Mahoning Co., Ohio News

Source:  Canton Repository - Canton, Stark Co., OH
Dated: Jan. 8, 1819
List of Letters remaining in the Post office at Kendal, on the 1st mo. 1819.
John Lytle, 2
Jonas Baum
Henry Schoemaker
John Altland
Hezekiah Bull (
William Woods, 2
John Shilling

Joseph Wiley
David Dick
Mary Alt


John W. Wybkoop
James Ritchey
Hans Roulston
John Warden
George Bexley
Mr. Rogers
or A. Yohy
James Ragnet
Henry Fisher
William Clark
Polly Knox

LIST OF LETTERS, Remaining in the Post office at CANTON, on the 31st day of Decmeber, 1818.

Amos Allerton
John Albert
Mrs. Mary Alexander
Peter Albright
Miss N. K. Atcheson
Christopher Auple
Stephen Akinson
Frederick Albright
George Bert
John Barls (Burls?)
John Buckins
John Brouz, 2
John Brown
John Bechtel
John Best
John Beaver
George Barger
Henry Becher
Jacob Burn
James BYall
George Beard
Edward A. Bagley
Abraham Bair
Nathaniel Bloomfield
Walter B. Beebe
Adam Bowers
Alexander Cameron
George Cook
John Crawford
James Campbell
George Cribbs
Laurence Carroll, 2
John Chamberlain
Benjamin F. Coleman
Jacob Croninger
George Crumbach
Greenbury Crevy, 2.
Conrad Dilmon
Oliver C. Dickinson
Robert Dennis
James Dowd
Michael Dickey
Wm. Elexander
Israel Freed
William Fogle, 3
Henry Fulk
John Foster
George Fetters, 2
Benjamin Foust
J. B. Gouldsbarry
Rev. Richard Gee
James Gaff
John Gans
George Henry
Barnabas Howland
John Hawley
Peter Hockensmith
George Hoover
Richard Hardgrove
Thomas Hurford, 2
Mrs. Abigail Hartford
David Jacoveh
Anios Janney
James Jackson
Britton Johnson
Henry Koch
Adam Kimmmel, 3
Ludwick Kever
Jacob Kunts
Cotton Kellogue
Jabab? E. Krug
Michael Kraft
Baltzer Koontz
L. David Landis
James F. Leonard
John Litchtewalter
Jacob Lovenstein, 2
James W. Lathrop, 2
Richard Lewis
Abraham Landis
Robert Lattimer
Abraham Musser
Squire Mathias
George M'Cormick
Benjamin Miller
Robert M'Cormick
John Morehead
Robet M'Conkey
James Morison
James M'Williams
Hugh M'Clelland
Miss Caty Miller
Adam Moon
Joseph Musser
Jacob Myers
Wm. M'Caughen
Andrew Meyer
Michael Oswalt
Fredk. C. Pfersich
John E. Pool
James Patton, 3
John Parks
David Parks
Hugh Russel
Henry Roop
John Reed
Hanse Roulston
Daniel Ritter
John Reece
Jacob Rowland
Peter Shaver
Joseph Snively
John Sterling, 2
Geo. Swinehartr
Dan'l. Schlanker
George Sickafoose
Adam Shore
Joseph Snider
Mary Sapplington
Daniel Smith
John Shorb
John Sprinkle
Jos. Sibbald
Robert Sharp
Luke Teachman
Wm. Triplitt
Jacob Tombaugh
Ludwick Tork
Joseph C. Welty
Mrs. Margaret Weston
Timothy Wines
Adam Weaver
Samuel Weaver
Rev. A. Weyer
Abner Wines
Michael Walter
George Zellers
Source: Conneaut Gazettes - Conneaut, Ohio,
Dated: Thursday, May 2, 1839 - Whole No. 371

Lightning -- On Tuesday morning last, during a short thunderstorm, the house of Mr. Joshua Gibbs, in Slusser's addition to Canton was struck by lightning. The fluid struck the top of the chimney, descended the outside of the wall - a part passed through the wall, down a stove pipe, threw down a stove and through the floor - another portion descended and destroyed an apple tree - & another passed down a pump, splitting the stock. Fortunately none of the family were injured - Ohio Repository.
(Submitted by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Liberator - Massachusetts
Dated: September 13, 1844
Death by Lightning -
On the 22d ult. in Monroe Township, Preble county, Ohio, two daughters of Mr. Daniel Dashers, aged 10 and 13 years, when returning home from the orchard with a basket of apples, were instantly killed by a flash of lightning.  A younger brother was with them, but escaped without material injury.
    On the same day, and within two hours of the above calamity, the house of Mr. George Walker of Twin Township, Starke county, Ohio, was struck by lightning, and one of his sons aged four years was instantly killed; the arm of a younger brother was broken and he was otherwise so seriously injured that little hopes were entertained of his recovery.  Several other members of the family were more or less injured, but not dangerously.
Source: New York Herald (New York, NY) Vol.: XXI  Issue: 343  Page: 4
Dated: Dec. 10, 1856
Additional Particulares of the Railroad Accident at Alliance, Ohio.
     At about 7 o'clock last evening a train on the Cleveland and Pittsburg road ran into an express train on the Ohio and Pennsylvania road at Alliance, Ohio, smashing two of the passenger cars of the latter train.  One of the cars was thrown into the rotunda at the station, and another through a public room which constitutes part of Sourbeck's Hotel, in which several persons were sitting.  Both the rotunda and sitting room were torn down, killing eight persons and wounding several others.  Among the wounded are Charles Coats, engineer, badly; M. A. Roth, though fractured and otherwise badly hurt; W. C. Cleland, conductor on Cleveland and Pittsburg train, slightly injured; Fielding Cavanagh and lady, and Anna Armour, of Columbia, Ia., badly hurt, and J. Painter, of Stark county, Ohio, slightly.  A list of the killed was telegraphed yesterday.  Most of the killed and wounded were not on the cars, but sitting in the public room when the accident occurred.
     The train left Pittsburg at 3 P. M.  yesterday, and arrived at Alliance behind time.  The passengers had just got through supper, and the train had barely started and got across the track at the junction when the Cleveland train came dashing along, and before its headway could be stopped a collision occurred.  Sourbeck's rotunda, into which the car went, presents the appearance of a total wreck.  It is said that the engineer of the Cleveland and Pittsburg train has absconded.
     The following despatch gives further particulars of the accident, and is from Mr. Cass, the President of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne and Chicago road: -
                                                                                                                                  PITTSBURG, Dec. 9, 1855.
     None were killed on our train, and but three wounded, and theses not severely.  All the other killed and wounded were on the platform at the station, in the house or near the track.  The Pittsburg train struck between the two hindmost cars in such a manner as to throw the two cars off the track, injuring three persons on the next to the last car.  The testimony here is, that the Cleveland and Pittsburg train was running at a frightful speed, not less than thirty miles per hour, and the visible evidence of the wreck this morning fully confirms the statement.  The engineer of the Cleveland and Pittsburg train has not been seen since.

                                                                                                                                  PITTSBURG, Dec. 9 - 9 P.M.
     The verdict of the Coroner's jury has not yet transpired.  Several witnesses were examined, who testified that the Cleveland train ran into the town of Alliance at a fearful rate of speed, at not less than thirty-five miles per hour.  The conductor of the Fort Wayne train supposed that the Cleveland train would be checked in time, according to the rules of the road, but it seemed to increase in speed as it came forward, without sounding the whilstle.  When the collision occurred, it caused a fearful wreck.  None of those on the Fort Wayne train were killed, but three were injured.  All the wounded are doing well.  Mr. Brooks, of New Jersey, who was killed, was to have been married to a lady in Alliance, named Ware.  The accident caused the greatest excitement there, and the engineer and fireman of the Cleveland train fled to the woods to escape the fury of the people.

Source:  Cleveland Leader (Cleveland, Ohio) Page: 2
Dated: Mar. 12, 1866
- The receipts from Internal Revenue in Stark county, for the month of January, amounted to $14,261.17
- Quite a large number of persons connecting themselves with the Baptist Church, Canton, have been immersed in the dam west of the city during the last few Sabbaths.  Notwithstanding the extreme cold weather a large number of persons witnessed the immersion.
Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Cincinnati, OH - Page 8
Dated: July 15, 1882
A Young Woman Who Has Not Taken Food for Two Months.
Special Correspondence to the Cincinnati Gazette.
     WABASH, IND., July 14. - The wonderful fast of the young lady near this city, which has attracted the attention of the people throughout the West, still continues, and there are no indications as yet that it will be broken.  The name of the faster is Miss Elizabeth Oswalt.  She is the daughter of Michael Oswalt, a farmer in good circumstances, who lives four miles northwest of Wabash.  Mr. Oswalt owns a large tract of land and lives in a very neat residence.  Miss Oswalt is one of a large family of children, who have all married and gone away or have died.  Four years ago, before the death of her mother, she worked as a sewing girl, but soon after Mrs. Oswalt's death she went home and began keeping house for her father.  Subsequently she was taken ill, and for eight or ten weeks she lived on almost nothing.  She was kept alive by injections of nourishment, and had it not been for the faithful attendance of nurses she would then have died.  Finally, however, her appetite returned, and health was restored.  Although never strong, she was able to do the housework until about two months since, when one day, after returning from a visit to this city, she was suddenly taken ill and went to bed.  This was on the 7th of May, and since then she has not turned herself or sat up in bed without aid.  From the start her appetite failed her, and the most strenuous efforts of her friends were insufficient to induce her to partake of the daintiest viand money could procure.  The relatives, alarmed at the rapid loss of vitality, sent for a physician, who, finding his endeavors to revive her desire for food without avail, began to give nourishment by injection.  Even this, Miss Oswalt said, caused her great pain, and she recently has declined to permit the administration of nourishment in this way.  The quantity of food she has consumed since she became ill on May 7 has not averaged half a cracker per day.  For a week at a stretch she has gone without eating a morsel.  She also refuses to drink liquids of any kind, and hardly enough water can be forced down her to keep the tissues of her body in solution.  This week an attempt was made to get her to take milk, a small quantity of each day being prescribed for her.  She managed, when almost compelled, to drink an ounce of the fluid, but since then she has utterly refused to touch it, and when the members of the family visit her room for the purpose of persuading her to drink, she begged and cried until they gave up in despair.  This week she has not eaten enough to keep a cat alive.  She asserts that the slightest particle of food in her stomach causes her the most intense pain, and on Wednesday when she swallowed the milk she was driven almost wild with agony.   Her mind is clear, and her reasoning faculties entirely unimpaired, but she has much cast down and a little inclined to hysteria.  Her strength is gradually failing, and the physician, who is about discouraged, says that she is almost past recovery, though he is of the opinion that were regular injections of food administered he could keep her alive until her appetite returns.  Miss Oswalt is apparently about thirty-two years of age, and when in good health was rather large.  No explanation of the cause for either of her fasts has yet been vouchsafed.  Her relatives are all strong and healthy, and none of them are afflicted with any chronic disease.  The case is watched in this city and vicinity with intense interest, and forms the sole topic off conversation on the streets.  The people of the vicinity seem to think that she "lays over"  Dr. Tanner by a large majority, as although she has partaken of more nourishment than did Tanner, she has drank but little water, while Tanner drank water in large quantities.  Today was the sixty-fourth of her fast, or twenty-four longer than Dr. Tanner's.  It is evident, however, that the end is near, and the terrible strain upon her system is breaking it down, and her death is likely to occur at any moment.
Source: Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page: 3
Dated: Jan. 20, 1887
A Disastrous Fire in the Busy Stark County Town - Six Buildings, Involving a Loss of Over $100,000, Totally Destroyed.
     ALLIANCE, O., Jan. 19. - [Special]  - The most disastrous conflagration that ever visited this city occurred this morning.  AT 1 o'clock the boot and shoe store of A. E. Vans & Co. was discovered on fire.  The flames spread rapidly to adjoining business blocks and were soon beyond control, and Canton was called on for aid.  At 5 o'clock this morning the fire department from the above place arrived on a special train, and rendered such valuable assistance that the fire was got under control about 7 o'clock, but not until six of the best business blocks in the city were gutted and two more badly damaged by fire and water.  The following is a list of the losses, together with insurance, as far as can be learned:
     John Atwell, building, loss $5,000, insured in Royal for $3,000; Shaffer Tate, building, loss $3,000, insured in Royal for $3,000, Columbian mutual for $1,500, Londona nd Lancashire for $500; Mrs. C. E. Marchand, building, loss $8,000, insured in royal for $5,000, Hartford for $1,000; I. G. Hair, household goods, loss $2,000, insured in London and Lancashire for $1,000; Atwell and Hair, building, loss $7,000, insured in the Fire association of Philadelphia for $4,000;  P. J. Gaume, dry goods, loss $8,000, insured in the American fire association for $2,000, the Fire association of Philadelphia, $1,100; Phenix of Hartford, $1,000, Penix of Brooklyn, $500; P. D. Kaplinger, loss $8,000, insured with the Richland and Western mutual for $5,500; Levonderes, photographer, loss $3,500, insured in the London and Lancashire for $1,500; P. H. Burr & Co., drugs, loss $2,000, fully insured; M. Hester's building, loss $7,000, partially insured; Evans & Co., boots and shoes, loss $7,000, insured for $6,100; Alliance bank building, loss $2,000, insured; P. H. Barr, building, loss $4,000, insured; stock of M. Oppenheimer & Co., and S. Koch clothing, and A. G. Silver, boot and shoe merchant, considerably damaged by removal; fully insured.
     Following are estimated losses: Household goods by tenants on second and third floors, none of whom were insured: Edward Ogden $800, F. E. Keplinger $300, L. W. Bullard $2,000, Dr. McCreary $300, Edward Woodward $800, John Plummer $1,000, J. Richards $800.  The origin of the fire is unknown.  The total loss is about $100,000.
Source: Repository (Canton, Ohio) Page: 4
Dated: Jan. 30, 1891
Mr. Dresbach Takes a Tumble.
     Cleveland Leader Columbus special:
     Considerable amusement were created in the house this afternoon by the collapse of the chair occupied by Mr. Dresach, of Stark, and dropping that member gently down at full length upon the floor of the House.
Source: Omaha World Herald (Omaha, NE) Vol.: XXVII Page 8
Dated Nov. 5, 1891

CUSTER CITY, S. D., Nov. 4 - [Special.]
- Sheriff Woods received by this morning's mail a respite suspending the execution of John H. Lehman till January 8, 188892, or until the sanity of Lehman is determined  of the board of pardons acts on the application for the commutation of the sentence to imprisonment for life.
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, Ohio
Dated: Jul. 15, 1892
Canton, July 14, - (Special) - James ("West") Jackson, who has been serving a sentence in jail here for the past thirty days, was taken to Finleyvile, Pa., today, where he is to answer a charge of train wrecking.  Detective Gleaves of that place put handcuffs on him, but Jackson refused to go until they were taken off.  He is liable to attempt an escape before he reaches there.  He is a tough colored man.
     An independent military company is being organized here by some of the best young men in the city.
     A Mrs. Hahn, who was brought back from the Toledo asylum as cured on the 5th of this month, had to be sent back again today, she being regarded as dangerous.
     A terrific storm visited Congress lake, in the northern part of this county, yesterday and several persons narrowly escaped with their lives.  It was a miniature cloudburst.
Source: Repository (Canton, OH) Page: 13
Dated: Oct. 30, 1904

John H. Lehman has served on the present board for over two years and six months and his services were invaluable. Mr. Lehman has for many years been regarded as one of the best educators and best posted men in school affairs in the state. For 18 years he served as a principal or superintendent of the Canton public schools. For six years he was principal of the North Cherry street school and his qualifications led to his selection as superintendent which position he held for 12 years. He was also school examiner and has been interested in school work nearly all his life. Mr. Lehman is at present chairman of the committee on text books and supplies and a member of the committee on teachers and of the committee on buildings and janitors of the board of education. He is engaged in the insurance business.
Source:  Stark County Democrat, Dayton, OH
Dated:  Oct. 5, 1906
Of Money and Postal Cards from the Alliance Postoffice, Penna Employe is Arrested.
     Alliance, O., Oct. 2 - Harry Early of this city, aged 39 years, was arrested last night by Deputy United States Marshal, F. M. Fanning, of Cleveland, charged with the theft of about sight hundred postal cards and thirty-three cents in stamps.  It is claimed the property was taken from the Alliance postoffice.  The accused has been employed in the Pennsylvania baggage room in the capacity of a mail carrier from night trains and had a key to the postoffice.  He is the son of John Early of this city.  He was detained in the city prison over night and this morning will be taken to Warren for a hearing before the United States commissioner.  The arrest of Early was a great surprise to his friends for up to the present time he had always borne the best of reputation in this vicinity.
Source: Repository (Canton, OH) Page 3
Dated: Jan. 7, 1913
New President Praises Retiring Executive J. H. Lehman
, In Accepting.
The board of education organized Monday night for the new year by electing L. P. D. Yost president to succeed John H. Lehman, for the past eight years head of the board, who asked not to be again elected because of ill health.  Lehman was elected vice president on motion of Yost.
The new president has been a member of the board for eight years.  As a result of being chosen head of the board he will, with C. W. Keplinger president of the board of sinking fund trustees, and John Buchman president of the city council, appoint the new civil service commission.  It is said that the commission will be chosen this week.
     Lauds Work of Lehman
, in accepting his new office, paid high tribute to the work of retiring President Lehman in connection with the schools of the city.
     "We feel sorry and I know that the school officials and instructors also regret that Mr. Lehman cannot be here tonight on account of ill health.  I feel sure that if he were here, the board would unanimously choose him as its head.
     "Mr. Lehman has done great good during his eight years on the board of education.  He has been a tireless and conscientious worker and has done much for the schools of the city at, I have no doubt, a sacrifice of his own interests.
     "I have known him well during his years as an instructor in the schools and as a principal, and in the eight years I have served with him on the school board, he has always been upright and honorable in everything he has done.  I sincerely hope that he may regain his health and be with us again."
     Marshall Made Examiner.
     M. G. Marshall
, instructor in Central High school, was elected school examiner for three years at a salary of $75 a year to succeed H. M. Shutt whose term expired in September.  Yost and Wise voted for Marshall, and Harmony voted for Miss Mary Mes___.  Theobald and Lehman were not present.
     The salary of Clerk C. W. Lane was increased to $125 a month, an increase of $25 a month.  Oscar Steiner, superintendent of buildings, was granted an increase of $25 a month, making his salary $140.  George Schaffert, truant officer, received an increase of $10, making his salary $95 a month.
     Upon motion of Harmony, the woman teachers in the high school who were not affected by the new salary schedule adopted in September will receive an increase of $50 a year, making their salary $1,200. 
     According to Supt. Baxter, it was understood that the women instructors not affected by the schedule should receive an increase but the subject was not brought up until Monday night.  Supt. Baxter said that five or six teachers would be affected.
Source:  Elkhart Truth - Elkhart, Indiana - Page 2
Dated Mar. 22, 1922
Former Service Man Ends Life With Bullet
Word was received today by relatives here of the suicide yesterday of Edward Oswalt, about 32 years of age,, who resided on a farm a mile west of Hastings, 22 miles south of Elkhart.  Despondency is ascribed as the motive for the deed.  No particulars were stated except that death was caused by shooting.
     Oswalt was in service for two years during the World War, serving a part of the time in France, where he took part in some of the big battles.  Upon his return four years ago, he was married, the young couple taking up their residence in Leesburg, where Mr. Oswalt owned a meat market.  About two years ago he sold the business and moved to the farm.
      Surviving Oswalt are his wife; three daughters, the oldest of whom is about three years of age; his mother, Mrs. Sarah Oswalt, and three sisters, all of Constantine; four brothers, Jesse Oswalt of Elkhart and John, Claude and Percy Oswalt, all of Constantine; five cousins, Mrs. Verne Shriver, Mrs. A. E. Doering, Mrs. Alex Hoover, Serman Swan and Owen Oswalt, all of Elkhart, and three uncles, Frank, Edward and Charles Fields, all of Elkhart.  His father, Michael Oswalt, died a year ago in Leesburg.
     The funeral will be held tomorrow with service and burial at Stony Point church.
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, OH
Dated: Aug. 17, 1931
STARK COUNTY and a Sketch of the Wife of the Revolutionary General
How did Stark County get is name?  Will you please give an account of Molly STARK, a heroine during the Indian wars, I believe.  K.F. - Canton, O
     Stark County, organized in 1806, was named for Revolutionary general, John STARK.
     Molly STARK,
whose maiden name was Elizabeth PAGE, was born at Haverhill, Mass., in 1737, the fifth child of Caleb and Elizabeth PAGE.  Molly was the name by which her husband called her.  When she was three years old her mother died, and in 1741 her father remarried and moved his family to Atkinson, N. H.  Ten years later he sold this property and moved his family to the wilderness, near where the town of Dunbarton was later established.  First he built a block house there and later a residence, where Elizabeth  then about 16 years of age, was installed as housekeeper.  She was known to be absolutely fearless, and often stood sentinel at the fort for hours, rifle in hand on the lookout for Indians.
     In August, 1758, Elizabeth married John STARK, a young man who had been in the employ of her father, but who at this time was an officer in Rogers Rangers during the French and Indian War.  Two years later Capt. STARK resigned and he and his wife made their home on land he owned at Derry Field, leaving behind their little son Caleb who had been born in the meantime, the grandfather having become very much attached to the child.  In 1765 Capt. STARK built a big house on his property after a plan which Molly had worked out.  This house stood just a hundred years, when in 1865 it burned down.
     Many incidents of Molly's bravery are recorded.  When the news of Lexington and Concord reached her husband, he hurried from home rallying the neighbors to a meeting at Medford.  In his haste he forgot his purse.  Molly  set out after him but did not overtake him until she reached Medford.  After spending the night there she returned home alone, mostly through unbroken forest.  Molly was with her husband in camp during the evacuation of Boston and stood sentinel there for him when treachery was suspected.  During a smallpox epidemic she nursed her husband's stricken soldiers and at one time had as many as twenty patients in her home.  Another time she is said to have heard the loud barking of dogs without.  Snatching a gun she went out and discovered a bear stretched on the limb of a neighboring tree.  Unassisted she brought him to the ground.
     Molly and John STARK had eleven children, five sons and six daughters.  Two sons, Caleb and Archibald, served in the Revolutionary War.  Molly died in 1814, when her husband was 86 years old. 
Source: Repository (Canton, OH) Page: 17
Dated: Feb. 22, 1938
     Sheriff Joseph T. Nist and his deputies assisted the North Canton fire department in battling a fire in the basement of the home of Dr. G. C. Goudy, Fulton rd. NW extension, Monday at 8:45 p.m.
     Deputies said the blaze was confined to the basement of the house.  There was no estimate of damage.   
Source: Repository (Canton, OH) Page: 6
Dated: Dec. 21, 1944
Source: Repository (Canton, OH) Page: 17
Dated: Feb. 22, 1938

Canton's new junior high school was to be named Lehman honoring John H. Lehman, who had been associated in school work for 35 years.
Walter Kuckelman of 5th st. NW, was Canton's first coasting victim. He suffered a broken arm when struck by an automobile.