OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Allen County, Ohio
And Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Charles C. Miller, Ph. D.
Assisted by
Dr. Samuel A. Baxter
Lima, Ohio
Published by Richmond & Arnold
George Richmond; G. R. Arnold
Chicago, Ill
1906

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
  H. W. BENNETT conducts the principal undertaking and embalming business at Lima and is a veteran in this business, although he has been located in Lima and is a veteran in this business, although he has been located in Lima only about four years.  He is a son of Henry Bennett, a prosperous farmer of Medina County, Ohio, where our subject was born in 1869.  After finishing his schooling, he became a teacher in his native county and for five years was a very successful one; but desiring a more permanent occupation and one in which he could engage throughout the entire year he went to Wellington, Lorain County, and opened a furniture store in connection with which he had an undertaking department.  In order to perfect himself in this work he took lessons in embalming and received diplomas from Professor Myers, of Springfield, Ohio, and from Prof. Charles A. Renoaurd, of New York City.  In 1901 he moved his business to Lima and now has the largest establishment of the kind in this part of the State.  He is a member of the National Funeral Directors’ Association and president of the Ohio Funeral Directors’ and Embalmers’ Association, keeping in close touch with all the latest developments and discoveries in his particular line of work.
     Mr. Bennett was married in 1890 to Ida Bauer, daughter of Jacob Bauer, of Liverpool, Medina County, Ohio.  Their family consists of three bright children.  They are members of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and are earnest workers in that body.  Fraternally Mr. Bennett is connected with the Masonic order, Elks, Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen of America and Woodmen of the World.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 823
  HOMER CLARK BENNETT, M. D., M. E., Ph. G., D. P., M. Ph., editor and publisher of The Electro-Therapeutist, a monthly journal of electricity as applied in medicine and surgery issued at Lima, a member of the faculty of the National College of Electro-Therapeutists, and an author of numerous works on electromedical treatment, is one of the leading physicians in his school of practice.  Dr. Bennett was born in 1865, in Georgetown, Brown County, Ohio, and is one of a family of three children born to his parents, the late Rev. Silas Bennett, A. M., D. D., an eminent divine, and Catherine K. (Clark) Bennett.
     Dr. Bennett’s education along literary lines was liberal, including the common and high school courses, at Batavia, Woodward High School, at Cincinnati, and Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio.  After leaving college, he was trained in business methods for two years at Bellefontaine, Ohio.  For four years, 1886-89, Dr. Bennett was engaged almost continuously in laboratory and medical study and he received medical degrees and diplomas from the medical department of the University of Wooster (now Delaware), Cleveland, Ohio, in 1888; from the medical department of the University of Cincinnati (the Medical College of Ohio), in 1889, at the latter institution winning the coveted Dawson prize, a handsome gold medal for the best surgical dissection.  This was but the first of many honors won.
     During these four years of study and close application, for five months he served as director of the Clinical Medical Dispensary in Cleveland, and for 10 weeks as chief dispensary clerk of the Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati.
     In 1888 Dr. Bennett located for the practicie of medicine at Bellefontaine, Ohio, entering into partnership with his preceptor, Edwin A. Swan, M. D., M. E., one of the best diagnosticians in the State.  This connection brought the young physician into a large and varied general practice, an advantage he duly appreciated.  While here he first made a special study of diseases of the eye and refractive errors and had already won attention by his careful and thoughtful methods, when he became still more deeply interested in the then young science of electro-therapeutics, and soon took up work on that line, recognizing its great value from the beginning.  In search of a wider field for his operations he removed to Lima in 1889, and this city has been his home ever since (except for an interval of 10 months in 1896), and here he has won honors and reaped large financial rewards.  During the interval above mentioned, Dr. Bennett served as superintendent of a large mineral-water bath and electric cure sanitarium, in Indiana.  Dr. Bennett’s success in his chosen line, as exhibited in his successful experiments and his useful inventions of electrodes and apparatus, as well as his numerous contributions to the medical and electrical press, attracted the faculty of the National College of Electro-Therapeutics, at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he went for a course of instruction, who tendered him a position in that body, in 1896, and he has been associated with this well-established institution ever since.
     This college, which is now known through out the entire world, was the first correspondence school of its kind ever organized.  It was founded in January, 1896, and has ever since been doing an extensive increasing correspondence.  Its teaching has extended to every continent, the records showing that it has satisfactorily and successfully given instruction in electro-therapeutics to over 2,000 students at their homes, many of whom afterward came to the college seeking personal instruction, a number of whom have become noted specialists.
     When the health of the founder, Dr. William F. Howe, gave way, and he was compelled on this account to seek a different climate, the school was removed to Lima, Ohio, and Dr. Bennett was elected general secretary and treasurer of the college, and assumed entire charge of the correspondence and business part of the school work.  He also became the editor and publisher of the college journal, The Electro-Therapeutist, which has met with much public favor, and has just closed its ninth year’s volume.  Dr. Bennett gives personal instruction in general electro-therapeutics, and the demonstration of apparatus, and technique, to students.  He also enjoys an extensive and lucrative practice in his specialty, while his many inventions and improvements in electrodes are being sold, and are in use, all over the world.  They are constructed on scientific principles, and each year finds them more in demand, as the medical profession, and public becomes more and more convinced of the great value of electricity as a remedy.  Dr. Bennett’s private offices are equipped with an elaborate and extensive selection of up-to date electrical apparatus. much of which is of original design and construction.
     Dr. Bennett has been, and still continues to be, a prolific writer in his special line.  He is the author, editor and publisher of the “Electro-Therapeutic Guide,” which is recognized as the most condensed, concise and thoroughly practical book on the subject, which has ever been issued.  It is intended particularly for the use of the busy physician, and it contains the only complete electro-medical dictionary.  Its popularity may be judged by the fact that the demand has already exhausted six popular editions and the seventh is now in use.  Dr. Bennett has also compiled and published the only complete and scientific resume of the subject of electrocution, to which he has devoted a great deal of scientific study.
     In addition to the medical degrees mentioned, Dr. Bennett has received the regular degree of Master of Electro-Therapeutics, from the National College of Electro-Therapeutics, this honor being given in Indiana, and he has also been the recipient of the same, as an “honorary degree,” from the Eastern College of Electro-Therapeutics, at Philadelphia.  He holds diplomas conferring both the regular and post-graduate title of Ph.G. from the Ohio Institute of Pharmacy at Columbus, and the degree of D. P., from the Chicago School of Psychology. He also was given the first “honorary degree" of Master of-Physiological-Therapeutics, from the Cincinnati Post-Graduate School of Physiological-Therapeutics, and is a consultant to that institution.  For several years he served as city physician and also police surgeon, to the city of Lima, served also as a member of the Lima Board of Health, and has been examiner for a number of the leading life insurance companies.  He thus has had a wide and varied experience in treating all kinds and classes of ailments. and he is often consulted and quoted as an authority in matters electro-medical.
     Dr. Bennett is a valued member of the National Society of Electro-Therapeutics, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, and is a charter member of the American Roentgen Ray Society, and of the American Electro-Medical Society, of which he was vice-president in 1904.  At its convention in 1905, when the name was changed to that of the American Progressive Therapeutic Society, Dr. Bennett was honored by election to the presidency.  As is natural, other schools and cities want his services and influence, and he has received numerous flattering offers, from prominent metropolitan specialists, schools and electrical houses, to leave Lima for other points, all of which he has declined, preferring his present congenial field.
     On Jan. 19, 1887, Dr. Bennett married Carrie Elizabeth Deeds, of Bellefontaine, Ohio.   They have one son—Clark Leroy.  The home of Dr. Bennett and family is located at No. 125 North Pierce street, Lima.  In 1901 the Doctor built a handsome four-story apartment residence building at Lima, known as the “Elektron,” which he subsequently sold.  Its total cost was $25,282.76, and the sale was effected at a considerably higher figure and was consummated June 17, 1905.
     In national politics Dr. Bennett is affiliated with the Republican party, but his busy life gives him very little opportunity to be an active politician, even if his tastes led in that direction.  However, he finds time for many social pleasures in his hospitable home, and in numerous fraternal orders.  He is an Odd Fellow, a Modern Woodman, a Good Templar, an Oriental, a Khorassan, and is a prominent member of the Senate team of the famous Lima Lodge No. 91, Kngihts of Pythias.
     Dr. Bennett is well and favorably known both at home and abroad, as a physician, scientist, inventor, author, poet, and student.  In addition to his scientific writings, he has also written many beautiful poems, which have been pronounced by able critics to be “literary
gems,” and which have been widely copied, in both literary and medical publications.  If questioned what he considers three of his greatest blessings, it is probable that he would reply in his genial way: “to be alive at the beginning of the 20th century; to be young; and to be in the enjoyment of splendid health.”  That he may continue to enjoy these blessings which promise future usefulness and added honors, and, as youth necessarily departs, find just as desirable middle and advanced age, is the united wish of thousands who have come under his influence either personally or through his writings.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 711
  JOHN H. BERRYMAN, one of the influential agriculturists of Shawnee township, residing in section 3, was born Aug. 19, 1843, in that part of Allen County, which has since been set off to Auglaize County.  His parents were Russell and Margaret (Slain) Berryman and his grandparents, William and Rachel (Clausen) Berryman.  The grandfather came from England and settled in New Jersey, from which State he entered the Continental Army.  Later he moved to Virginia and about the year 1800 located in Montgomery County, Ohio.  He and his sons entered a large body of land which extended along the Auglaize River some two miles and included what is now the Fort Amanda farm.  Here he tilled the soil and also did considerable work at shoemaking, which trade he had learned in early life.
     Russell Berryman was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, Jan. 10, 1814, and seven years later accompanied his parents to Allen County.  The two white families who had already settled here comprised the entire white population of the county at that time.  Their supplies were to be had only at the expense of a long, tedious journey to Dayton or Toledo, and most of what we consider necessities were unknown to the pioneer homes.  As Russell Berryman grew older he helped clear the farm and care for the growing crops and, as the land was rich and mellow, the wooden mould-board plow answered very well for breaking up the soil and making it ready for planting.  When the grain had ripened, the sickle and cradle were used for harvesting it, many of the pioneers boasting of their skill and the rapidity of their work with these implements.  The Indians were a constant menace to the quiet of the rapidly growing community and a military company was formed for defense against them, Mr. Berryman being the captain.  He died on the homestead in 1877 in the 63rd year of his age.  He married Margaret Slain, who was a native of Virginia, and the following children were born to them, viz.: Cornelia (Stocken); Ephraim, deceased; Rosabelle (Blackburn), deceased; John H.; and JamesMr. Berryman was a Democrat.
     John H. Berryman was reared to manhood on a farm about one mile south of Fort Amanda, where he remained until 1867.  He then rented a farm and began buying and feeding cattle for the market.  This proved profit able and enabled him to purchase the Dickey farm, and afterwards the Goodman farm, then known as the Turkey Foot farm.  Following this, he moved to Lima and engaged in the manufacture and sale of buggies for about one year after which he returned to the country and located on his present farm.  About 1879 Mr. Berryman had purchased this property from the heirs of his wife’s father.  In addition to buying and shipping stock, he also began butchering, a business which he conducted for many years.  For about seven years he ran a dairy, keeping 60 cows to supply the milk.  His land is situated in the oil belt, and at the present time eight wells are being pumped.
     On Mar. 12, 1868, Mr. Berryman was married to Sally Columbia Boyd, who was born Feb. 3, 1845, on the farm which is still her home.  Her parents were Abraham and Maria (Hover) Boyd.  Her maternal grandfather, Ezekiel Hover, came from New Jersey about 1832 and settled in Trumbull County, Ohio, removing in 1833 to Allen County as one of the first pioneers.  Mr. and Mrs. Berryman have been blessed with a family of seven children, viz.: Myrtle, wife of William Minton; Margaret, who married John R. Bristow and has one child, John R. Jr.; Russell, who was a naval cadet four years and died in his 26th year; Mabel, who died when four years of age; Harriet, who married J. M. Davis and died leaving two children— Calvin Russell and Harriet Berryman; Robert Fulton, a graduate of Oberlin College, who is now a teacher in the Philippines; and Waldo, a member of Company C. Second Regiment, Ohio National Guard, who lives at home.  Mrs. Berryman is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while Mr. Berryman holds a membership in the Methodist Episcopal denomination.  He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Like his father, he is a Democrat, and has served as school director, justice of the peace, trustee, assessor and supervisor.  He was the party candidate for nomination for Congress, but withdrew his name, much to the disappointment of his many friends who would have strongly supported his candidacy.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 520
  WILLIAM BICE, father of Mrs. Kay, was born at Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio, Mar. 18, 1824, and died on his homestead, in Allen County, just out of Spencerville, on Feb. 8, 1900.  He was first married on Jan. 20, 1847, to Anna Sunderland, and there were two children born to them, vi.: Francis and Orlando.  The latter married Lucretia Courtshire, who reared by Leonidas Post, another of the old settlers of the western section of Allen County. On Dec. 11, 1856, William Bice was married to his second wife, Tabitha Sunderland, who was born Sept. 1, 1836, and is a daughter of Dye and Mary (Berryman) Sunderland.  The Sunderlands were the fourth white family to settle in Allen County.  They had 12 children, of whom one died in infancy, and another at the age of three years; the remaining 10 all reached maturity and reared families of their own.  Mrs. Bice and her sister, Mrs. Mary Jane Mars, now past 88 years of age, a resident of Decatur, Illinois, are the only survivors.
     The children of William Bice born to his second union were nine in number, the survivors being as follows: Amarilla, who is the wife of R. T. Sutton; Anna M., who is the wife of S. W. Kemp, of Spencerville; William Adolph, who married Effa Gallant; Mercy Naomi, who is the wife of B. G. Hover, of Lima; Andrew W., M. D., who was coroner of Allen County from 1902 to 1905; and Bessie, who is the wife of Howard L. Kay.
     The late William Bice was reared among the Quakers at Salem, Columbiana County, and all his life lived according to their upright teachings.  After his second marriage, he settled on the homestead now occupied by his widow, which is situated just south of Spencerville.  At present Mrs. Bice’s son-in-law, Mr. Kay, has the historic old farm under lease.  An old Indian burying ground once occupied a part of it, and Dr. Andrew W. Bice has taken a great interest in making a collection of relics of the days of the aborigines found here.  Mr. Kay has recently stocked the old farm with a fine assortment of sheep and hogs, and the management has been entrusted to an experienced farmer and stock-raiser.
     Mrs. Bice belongs to one of the oldest families in the county, as mentioned above, and her recollections of the days of her girlhood and early married years are most entertaining and instructive.  It scarcely seems possible, in conversing with this animated, intelligent and well-perserved lady, to believe that she lived in the days when the Indians still wandered in numbers over all this country and sat at her father’s hearthstone, receiving his bounty.  She recalls only their friendliness and their willingness to barter fur for. food.  In the days of which Mrs. Bice tells, it was not considered a very great hardship to live in a log cabin with earthen floor and with home-made quilts hung at the open door for protection.
     Mr. Bice kept on accumulating land until he owned 530 acres.  Subsequently he gave his children all but 225 acres, retaining this in the home stead farm, which is now a property of large value.  Mrs. Bice recalls well the old walnut canoe which was used in early days to cross the Auglaize River.  She was care fully reared by an excellent mother who taught her all the housewifely arts of those days.  Her mother was a famous weaver and she taught her daughter to spin and weave and also to dye the coverlets, such as are now occasionally found in the possession of old families and are preserved as treasures.  The old Bice homestead has many of these wonderful examples of industry and taste.
     At school Mrs. Bice stood as one of the best spellers, that being quite a distinction in her day.  She was also an expert horsewoman and relates that upon one occasion, being invited to attend the wedding of Lenora Pupinore with Thomas Leach, she started on horse back, with a party consisting of six couples.  Upon reaching the home of the bride there being no gates, she jumped the bars and as she was the first on the scene had the honor of receiving the first taste of the “wedding bottle," a feature of these occasions.  General Black burn was present at this wedding.
     Looking at the life lived in the early days of Mrs. Bice, it seems to modern views to have been one filled with toil, hardship and privation; but it was not so regarded by many of those who still survive; for they undoubtedly possessed a will and courage equal to the emergencies they met and successfully over came, and a practical habit of thought that converted their necessary industry and frugality into pleasure.  The old orchard standing on the homestead was partly set out by Indians who thus assisted Mr. Bice, with whom they were always on friendly terms.  Under on old locust tree still standing in the orchard is the old horse mill where Mr. Bice converted bushels of apples into sweet, wholesome cider.  It gave the family refreshments during the long winter evenings; Mrs. Bice also boiled it down for cooking purposes, making in one year 60 gallons of the real old-fashioned apple butter, which she disposed of in Delphos, realizing the sum of $300 for her work.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page
746-747
  DAVID C. BIXEL, jeweler and optician, one of the leading business men of Bluffton, was born on a farm one mile north of the town, May 26, 1866, and is a son of Abraham and Magdalena (Shumaker) Bixel.
     The father of Mr. Bixel now lives retired at Pandora, Putnam County, having been a farmer all his life.   He was born May 18, 1843, and came to Allen County when a child of three years.  He married Magdalena Schumaker, who was born Mar. 31, 1842, in Richland township, and is a daughter of Rev. Peter and Elizabeth (Sutter) Schumaker, the former of whom was pastor of a Mennonite Church.  They were natives of Germany, where the father of Mrs. Schumaker, Peter Sutter, spent his whole life.  The children born to Abraham and Magdalena Bixel were 11 in number, seven sons and four daughters, our subject being the second in order of birth.
     Mr. Bixel remained on the farm until he was 13 years old and then spent several years at La Porte, Indiana, where he learned the watchmaking and optical business in Hutchinson’s Optical and Watchmaking School.  For the past 12 years he has been established at Bluffton, where he not only has one of the largest and most complete jewelry and optical stores, but also deals in pianos and other musical instruments.
     On Dec. 3, 1892, Mr. Bixel was married to Delilah Baumgartner, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, near Mount Eaton, Jan. 1, 1867, and is a daughter of Peter and Barbara (Lehman) Baumgartner.  The four children of this union are: Dora, Mildred, Gordon and Fern.
     In political sentiment, Mr. Bixel is a Democrat and he has more than once been elected to responsible township offices.  In the conduct of his business and in his intercourse with his fellow-citizens socially, he has established a reputation which insures him the respect and esteem of the community.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 836
  JOHN BIXEL, cashier of the First National Bank of Bluffton, has been a lifelong resident of the town, having been born here June 11, 1869.  His father is Peter Bixel, Sr., a farmer residing near Bluffton.  Mr. Bixel acquired a good, practical business education, attending the Bluffton High School, from which he was graduated in the class of 1889.  The following eight years were spent in teaching in district schools, during which time he took the work of the Ohio Normal University at Ada, Ohio.  His first venture in the commercial world was in the grocery business with his brother DavidBixel Brothers conducted their store for three years, and then our subject disposed of his interest in the concern to his brother and became a partner of B. C. Mann, who was engaged in the shoe and clothing business.  Two years later the firm of Bixel & Mann was dissolved by Mr. Bixel’s withdrawal from the company.
     About this time the First National Bank was organized, Mr. Bixel being one of the promoters of the enterprise, and he was chosen as cashier, a position which he has since retained to the perfect satisfaction of all concerned.  The first officers of the bank were: Simon Herr, president; Lewis S. Duper, vice president; John Bixel, cashier, the foregoing with Amas A. Geiger and A. J. Solomon constituting the board of directors.  The only change made since in this list of officers was occasioned by the withdrawal of Mr. Solomon, who sold his stock to Henry Gratz, who was later elected a director.  Mr. Bixel was one of the chief promoters of the Beaver Dam Bank, which was organized in 1902.  This is a private bank, of which Mr. Herr is president and our subject, one of the directors.
     Mr. Bixel married Halla Russell, who is a native of Bluffton and a daughter of Orin and Ella (Halla) Russell.  Her grandfather was Daniel Russell, one of the first residents here.  He was president of the first bank established, the People’s Bank, and also conducted a general merchandise store and grain depot, his son Orin being a partner under the firm name of Russell & Son.  Both are deceased.  Mr. Bixel has one child, a son, Russell L., born Apr. 19, 1899.  Our subject is a member of the Mennonite Church and one of Bluffton’s most forceful and enterprising men.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 720

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights