OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Allen County, Ohio
And Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Charles C. Miller, Ph. D.
Assisted by
Dr. Samuel A. Baxter
Lima, Ohio
Published by Richmond & Arnold
George Richmond; G. R. Arnold
Chicago, Ill
1906

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1906 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 
  FRANK SIEBER, president of The Lima Brewing Company, was born in Seneca County, Ohio, May 25, 1862, and is a son of Frank and Caroline (Elses) Sieber.
     The father of Mr. Sieber was born in Germany.  By trade he was a cabinet-maker.  He married Caroline Elses also of German extraction, and they had a family of three children.
     Frank Sieber was reared through the years of childhood in his native county, where he attended the local schools and gave particular attention to music, for which he has great talent.  In 1884 he engaged in hotel-keeping the continued in that line until 1899 when he became president of The Lima Brewing Company.  The officers of this company are:  Frank Sieber, president; Gus Spannagel vice-president; and E. W. Charles, secretary and treasurer.  The Lima Brewing Company manufactures lager beer and malt extract, its products being of fine quality and possessing healthful tonic properties.  Employment is given to 26 men.  The plant is the largest of its kind in Allen County.
     Mr. Sieber was united in marriage with Mary Knarr, a daughter of John Knarr, and they have a family of six children.  Their comfortable home is situated at No. 402 West Market street.  The family belongs to the Catholic Church.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 437

Mr. & Mrs.
Adam Simons
ADAM SIMONS, prominent in the brick manufacturing line at Lima, has been one of the city's leading business men for a quarter of a century.  He was born in Seneca County, Ohio, in 1844, and is a son of the late John Simons, who formerly was a substantial and well-known farmer of Upper Sandusky.
     Mr. Simons spent all the earlier years of his life on a farm in Wyandotte County, and there obtained his education. In 1872 he left home and removed to Delphos, where he engaged in the manufacture of brick until 1880, when he came to Lima.  Here he found an excellent field for his industry and now stands at the head of the brick manufacturers of the city.  The quality of his product has done its own advertising, and a canvass of Lima’s most substantial structures will prove how large is his local trade.
     In 1869 Mr. Simons was united in marriage with Maria Hoffman, who is a daughter of Eli Hoffman, a farmer of Upper Sandusky.  They have reared a family of nine children, namely: Frank, who is in business at Lewiston, Illinois; Henry, who is the engineer of the Lima central fire department; Charles, who is chief engineer of the LaFayette (Indiana) Traction Company; Minnie, who is the wife of A. McPheron, of Lima; Permilla, who is the wife of E. F. Flaving, of Chicago; Rosa, who is the wife of Byron S. Langin, of Lima, employed in the Lake Erie & Western Railroad office; Bertha, living at home; Earl, who is employed at the Lima Locomotive Works; and Raymond, who is attending school.  The inclinations of Mr. Simons’ sons have led them into mechanics, where each one is giving an excellent account of himself.
     In late years Mr. Simons has paid little attention to politics.  Both he and his wife are members of St. John’s Catholic Church.  Their portraits accompany this sketch.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 799
  FRANK C. SMITH, who is the senior member of the large contracting firm of Smith & Sherrick, of Lima, has been a resident of this city for the past 17 years.  He was born at Westminster, Allen County, Ohio, in 1867, and is a son of Isaac N. Smith and a grandson of Abner Smith.
     Abner Smith
was born in Pennsylvania and removed to Allen County, Ohio, about 1822.  Later he moved to Champaign County and in 1829 to Allen County, where he entered land near the present site of the town of Westminster.  In 1830 he moved his family here and during the remainder of his life he was engaged-in clearing and cultivating his property.  He was one of the first trustees of Auglaize township and took an active part in its public affairs.  Politically he was a Whig.
     Isaac N. Smith, father of our subject, now lives retired in his pleasant home at No. 708 East Kibby street, Lima.  He was born in 1839 in Auglaize township.  When 14 years of age he started to learn the carpenter’s trade and continued work at the same until 1864, when he enlisted in Company B, 151st Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., for 100 days, but his real service covered four months.  He was detailed to the quartermaster’s department and was stationed during the greater part of the time at Fort Reno.  At the close of the war he returned home and resumed carpenter work until 1868, when he engaged in wagon and carriage manufacturing at Westminster.  Mr. Smith continued in business for 10 years and had a large establishment, where he also did repair work and dealt in agricultural implements.  Some of the wagons built by him 40 years ago are still in commission in and about Westminster.
     In June, 1888, Mr. Smith located in Lima, where he carried on contracting until failing eyesight caused him to retire from business.  During his residence in Auglaize township, he was active in public affairs and was elected to many of the township offices.  He served four years as assessor of that township, for years was school director and was a man whose advice was asked and judgment consulted by his fellow-citizens.
     Frank C. Smith of this sketch was reared and educated at Westminster, and learned the carpenter’s trade with his father.  He entered the employ of the Standard Oil Company and remained with that corporation for six years, during four of which he was in charge of the tanking department at different points.  He built the first pump station in the Ohio oil field.  Then for some four years he followed his trade by himself; but in 1898 he formed his present partnership with S. S. Sherrick.  This firm is engaged in a general contracting business and is the leading firm in this line in Lima. Their large planing mill and sash, door and blind factory is located at Nos. 330-332 South Union street.
     In 1899 Frank C. Smith was married to Ella Biederman, of Auglaize County.  They have one son, Walter Stanley, aged five years.  Both Mr. Smith and his wife are members of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church at Lima. 
     In politics Mr. Smith is a zealous Republican and is a member of the Republican Central Committee.  He belongs also to the Lima Board of Health, and is interested in all movements tending to promote the welfare of the city.  His fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows and Red Men.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 815
  WILLIAM H. SMITH, an expert stationary engineer of Allen County, residing in section 22, German township, was born in this township, Dec. 4, 1856.  His parents, William B. and Barbara (Conrad) Smith, came here from Fairfield County, later they returned to that county where they lived five years until the death of the father.  The widow and children returned to Allen County after the death of the father in 1863 and she is still a resident of German township.  There were eleven children, viz.:  Taylor, Harrison, George W., Martin A., Jacob H., Richard E., William H., Isabelle, wife of David Reed; Mary C., wife of Jackson Kellar of Michigan; Barbara E. wife of John Baumgartner, and Sarah E., wife of Gilbert Snook.
     William H. Smith
began life as a wage earner in the sawmill of Isaac East in German township.  Later he learned to run a threshing machine engine and now has a license as a stationary engineer and is one of the most competent engineers in the county.  He is at present traveling for the International Harvester Company, as an expert operator.
     Mr. Smith was married in 1877 to Margaret Remegan, daughter of Peter Remegan, of German township.  They have one son, Delvert, born Sept. 22, 1879, who is now in the employ of the Fort Wayne, Van Wert & Lima Traction Company, as motorman.  Mr. Smith is a member of the United Brethren Church, of Elida, Ohio.  In politics he is a Republican and was assessor of German township during 1904.  He has served a number of years on the School Board and also as road supervisor.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 665
  SOLOMON D. SNIDER was born in Thorn township, Perry County, Ohio, Apr. 30, 1842, and came to Allen County in the spring of 1865 when he bought 80 acres of land in section 25, Jackson township, took possession in April of that year, and has lived upon it ever since.  His parents were Daniel and Mary (Greenawalt) Snider, and his grandfather was also named Daniel Snider
     The grandfather of our subject was born in Pennsylvania, whence he came to Ohio, entering land in Perry County, where he died March 3, 1866, at the age of 93 years, 7 months and a few days. He was a \Vhig, while his son and grandson (our subject) became Democrats.  He took an active part in reform work and was a leader in the German Baptist or Dunkard Church, being one of the preachers of that body and holding services in his house and barn until they were able to build a house of worship.
     Daniel Snider, the father of our subject, was born in Thorn township, Perry County, Ohio, June 28, 1808.  During his younger days he engaged in teaching school, and afterwards bought a farm of 180 acres in Perry County, where he devoted his time to agriculture until his death Nov. 3, 1861.  He was a member of the Lutheran Church.  He was married to Mary Greenawalt, who was born in Hocking County, Ohio, in 1811 and died in Perry County, Mar. 6, 1895, at the age of 83 years, 3 months and 20 days.  Her parents, Mathias and Mary (Coon) Greenawalt, came to this State from Maryland, and were of German descent.  She was the mother of the following children, viz: Lucinda (Boyer), deceased; John Henry, who resides on the homestead in Perry County; Mary Katharine (Clum), deceased; Solomon D.; Sarah Elizabeth (Anspach), of Jackson township; and Eliza Ann (Humberger), deceased.
     Solomon D. Snider was reared in his native county where he was married Aug. 31, 1863. to Katharine Zartman.  She was a daughter of Henry and Mary (Swinehart) Zartman, of Perry County, and was born Feb. 18, 1844.  She died May 4, 1902, leaving two children, Mary Aretta, wife of R. C. Klingler; and Clarence Franklin, both of Hardin County.  Mr. Snider came here with his wife and one child and at once set about improving his new home.  He erected buildings, planted an orchard and made many other improvements from which he is to-day reaping the benefits.  He has been an industrious, frugal man and in addition to caring for his farm ran a threshing machine for some time.  He has been assessor three times and made a most efficient officer.  He is a member of the Lutheran Church and served as deacon and elder for many years.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 553
  JACOB STALEY


Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 5451

  JOHN P. STAMETS, who was one of the honorable business men and old time citizens of Lima, died here on April 26, 1897.  He was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1829.  In his early business life, Mr. Stamets left his native State and moved to Ohio, where he resided in Wayne and Ashland counties.  During the five years prior to coming to Lima, he resided in Bucyrus, where he was engaged in the dry goods business.  In 1877 he located at Lima, engaging first in a hardware business and later, in the sale of wagons and buggies.  Failing health induced him to dispose of many of his interests, several years before his death.  The deceased was a man of business principle and commanded the respect of all associated with him.
     On Feb. 1, 1855, Mr. Stamets was married to Malinda Kern, who, with one son, Lori E. still survives him.  For 45 years he was a consistent member of the Lutheran Church, and alike in his religious, business and social connections, his worth as an upright Christian man was recognized.  He was known as one of the city's most liberal contributors to worthy objects of charity.  In his political sentiments he was a life-long Democrat.
     Mr. Stamets was a large owner of real estate, and erected the handsome flat building which bears his name, his widow and son residing there in much comfort.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page

NOTES:

 

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights