A Part of Genealogy Express




History of Allen County, Ohio
And Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Charles C. Miller, Ph. D.
Assisted by
Dr. Samuel A. Baxter
Lima, Ohio
Published by Richmond & Arnold
George Richmond; G. R. Arnold
Chicago, Ill

  SALEM REED, one of Shawnee township's leading citizens and substantial farmers, is also a survivor of the Civil War.  He owns a well-improved farm of 80 acres, located in section 14, Shawnee township, which was formerly a part of the old Napier homesteadMr. Reed was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, May 2, 1842, and is a son of Samuel and Mary M. (Aker) Reed.
     Samuel Reed
, the father of our subject, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, and was a son of Noah Reed, a native of Licking County, Ohio.  He died on his farm in Shawnee township in August, 1894, aged 79 years.  He married Mary M. Aker, who was born July 30, 1814, and died in March 1905, at the age of 91 years.  Their children were:  Clara, Silas, Salem, Isaac, John W., Freeman, Nelson, Almeda, Emma and Laura.
     Salem Reed
accompanied his parents to Shawnee township in 1853. He attended school until he was about 18 years old, and remained practically on the home farm until he had attained his majority, working for neighboring farmers as well as his father. On Feb. 1, 1864, he enlisted for service in the Civil War, joining Company H. 74th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., in which he served until the close of hostilities. He participated in many battles, the first one of importance being that at Resaca. His regiment was often employed in guarding railroads, accompanying Sherman to the sea and participating in all that wearying campaign which resulted in such great victories for the Union cause. It remained in North Carolina until after the surrender of Johnston.
     After the war he returned home, where he lived until his marriage, when he bought a tract of land in Shawnee township, near the family homestead and partially cleared it; but in a few years settled on another farm he had purchased, on which he resided for nine years.  For the past 22 years Mr. Reed has been living on his present place, where he has carried on general farming and stock-raising.
     In 1866 Mr. Reed was married to Elizabeth Adelia Napier, who was born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1841, and is a daughter of those honored old pioneer settlers of the township, the late William and Sarah (Huff) Napier.  Her father was one of the leading men of the township during a long and exemplary life.  He died in March, 1900, and is survived by his venerable wife who still resides on the old homestead in section 14, Shawnee township.  Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had eight children, namely: Ida, who married William Hover and has two children, Palleene and Alleene; Samuel W., who married Florence Wilson and resides in Cleveland; Lulu, who married Frank H. Place and has seven children - Frank, Belva, Lee Everett, Ralph, Eudora Lu, Olive, and an unnamed infant; Smith Hamlin, who married Lulu Klippinger and has one daughter— Evelyn, the family residing at Toledo; Florence LaVerne, who married Clyde Coleman and resides at Toledo; Walter Cledith, a resident of Cleveland; Maud Sylvania, who married Clarence McDaniel, the couple living at home; and an infant, deceased.
     Politically Mr. Reed is identified with the Republican party, but is not always bound by party ties, voting occasionally according to his personal judgment of candidates.  Formerly he was active in Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., at Lima; but, like his brother Silas, finds the distance too great to make attendance easy.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a liberal contributor to its support.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 539
  SILAS REED, one of the prominent farmers of Shawnee township, who resides on a well-improved farm of 60 acres in section 14, is also a veteran of the Civil War, having given over three years of his life to the services of his country.  Mr. Reed was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1840, and is a son of Samuel and Mary M. (Aker) Reed.
     Samuel Reed
was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, and was a son of Noah Reed, who was born in Licking County, this State.  Samuel Reed was a cooper by trade, working at his vocation during the winter and farming in the summer.  He owned a farm in Shawnee township, where he died in August, 1894, aged 79 years.  He married Mary Aker, who was born July 30, 1814, and died in March, 1905, at the age of 91 years.  Their children were: Clara, who married Josiah Snyder, and was left a widow six weeks later, her husband dying in the army; Silas; Salem, a farmer of Shawnee township; Isaac, a farmer of Shawnee township; John W., deceased; Freeman, a resident of Lima; Nelson, a resident of Cridersville: Almeda, deceased, formerly the wife of Cyrus Nye; Emma, the wife of Charles Andrews; and Laura (Redmond), a resident of Lima.
     Our subject was a lad of 13 years when he accompanied his parents to Shawnee township.
He attended school and assisted his father until he was 19 years old, when he went to work for William U. Hover, with whom he remained until he enlisted, soon after Fort Sumter was fired on.  His first enlistment was in Company A, 20th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under Capt. Mathias H. Nichols, which was sent immediately to the front. and until August was engaged mainly in guarding the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, during this period participating in numerous skirmishes.  In July, 1862, Mr. Reed reenlisted, in Company B, 99th Reg., Ohio Vol.  Inf., for three years, or until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged at Cincinnati.  The regiment participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta and Jonesboro; was with General Sherman’s forces until the battle of Resaca and was placed under General Thomas at Nashville.  Here Companies B and F were consolidated, or the former merged into Company F, after which the command went to Washington and Wilmington, where it again came under General Sherman and moved on to Salisbury, Raleigh, City Point and Cincinnati. During this long period Mr. Reed distinguished himself as a loyal, cheerful, faithful soldier.
     Upon his return from the army, Mr. Reed was married and located four miles west of his present farm, on which he lived for seven years and then, in 1873, bought his present property.
     On Aug. 8. 1865, Mr. Reed was married to Harriet B. Napier, who was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, July 7, 1843, and is a daughter of the late William and Sarah (Huff) NapierMrs. Reed was a babe of three months when her parents came to Shawnee township.  Her father was one of the prominent and esteemed citizens here for many years, a man of substance and much valued in the church and the community at large.  Her venerable mother still survives and lives on the homestead in section 14.  Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had the following children, namely: Florence, who died aged five years; Alta, living at Lima; Della, also of Lima; William E., who died at Fostoria, Ohio, aged 24 years; Mamie. who died aged 17 years; Ethel, of Lima; LeRoy, who died in infancy; Zelpha, who married Edwin Pryer, and is residing temporarily in Missouri; and Roy, aged 15 years, who lives at home.
     Like his father, Mr. Reed is a Republican.  He was at one time an active member of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., of Lima, but does not now attend the meetings because of the distance from home.  For the past 48 years he has been a member of the Methodist Ep1scopal Church.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 508
HON. JOHN E. RICHIE, formerly judge of the Court of Common Pleas and now the senior member of the well-known law firm of Richie & Leland of Lima, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, Mar. 28, 1838, and is a son of Mirabeau F. and Sarah (Eaton) Richie.
     Mirabeau F. Richie
was born in Pennsylvania but came to Ohio when he was but 12 years of age, and settled in Columbiana County, removing in 1839 to Van Wert County.  His family consisted of 10 children, seven of whom still survive.
     John E. Richie was a babe of one year when his parents settled in Van Wert County.  He was a student in the first schoolhouse ever built in Harrison township and in youth attended school when not engaged in work upon the farm.  He completed the school course before he was 18 years old, and thereafter, until he reached manhood. he continued to assist his father on the home farm in the summer season, while in the winter he taught school.  Arriving at manhood’s estate, he began the study of the law, his reading being done under the supervision of Edward A. Ballard, now of Denver, Colorado, a well-known former attorney of Allen County.  He was admitted to the bar in 1867 and prior to coming to Lima practiced law for six months at Bluffton.
     Since locating in Lima, the subject of this sketch has become one of the leading practitioners before all the courts and has filled offices of responsibility.  For three years he served as justice of the peace, and was elected city solicitor when the village was given its city charter.  In the fall of 1888 he was elected judge of the Court of Common Pleas and served in that position from February, 1889. to February, 1899. Since retiring from the bench, Judge Richie has given his attention to a large and important practice in partnership with F. F. Leland.
     In 1861 our subject was married to Margaret J. McCoy, a native of Van Wert County, Ohio.  To this union were born five children, as
follows: Idumea, wife of F. F. Leland, his present law partner; Willis A., a prominent architect of Spokane, Washington, who was architect of the State Capitol of Washington and all the court houses around Puget Sound; Walter J., junior member of the firm of Richie & Richie; Bertha, wife of Hugh L. Harrod, a traveling salesman, with home in Lima; and Frank, deceased at the age of two years.
     The second marriage of Judge Richie was contracted with Mrs. S. Louise (Van Arsdale) Wyker, who by her first husband had one daughter. Lilian Judge Richie with his family attends the Presbyterian Church.  The beautiful family residence is situated at No. 541 West Wayne street, while Judge Richie’s offices are in the Holland Block.
     Politically, Judge Richie is identified with the Democratic party.  Fraternally he is associated with the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows.  He has long been looked upon as one of the city’s most public-spirited men; one proof of this attitude was his gift in 1892 of a tract of 10 acres for the use of Lima College.  His portrait accompanies this sketch.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 429
  J. C. RILEY, one of Lima's prominent business men, an extensive oil producer, and organizer of the "International Fire Alarm System" in Ohio, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1865, and is a son of the late Michael Riley who for many years was interested in the large contracting firm of Smith & Williamson, of Cincinnati.  Mr. Riley is a nephew of John Charles Riley, a very prominent politician of that city, ex-postmaster and a member of the wholesale firm of McHenry & Company.
     Our subject was reared and educated at Cincinnati and there began his business career with the wholesale men’s furnishing goods house of Liebunan & Schloss.  After four years with this well-known house, he entered the traffic department of the old Cincinnati Southern Railroad for a period of five years.  Following this preparation, his promotion to the positions of chief clerk and later to general superintendent of the traffic and transportation departments of the C., H, & D. Railway was rapid.  For 12 years, he had entire charge of the loss and damage claim department.  Early in April, 1889, he came to Lima to take charge of the Lima terminals, having the title of general agent, and he continued with this railroad until June 1, 1893.
     At the above date Mr. Riley became traffic manager for the Manhattan Oil Company and continued with them until their sale to the Standard Oil Company, in 1900.  Since then he has been engaged almost exclusively in the oil producing business.  He is associated with J. R. Keenan, of Marion, Indiana, and they have 45 oil-wells in operation in Grant County, Indiana.  He has been much interested in the new magnetic system of fire alarms, has acquired the patents of an automatic system and has just organized a company for its introduction.  He is a man of great business enterprise and possesses a vast amount of American push and energy.
     Mr. Riley was married on June 27, 1898, to Mrs. Peter Smith, who is a daughter of John E. McMaher, one of the early contractors of Chicago, who built one of the first tunnels under Lake Michigan to the cribs and had the contract for almost all of the early brick paving done in that city.  Mr. Riley is a member of the Elks and of the Knights of Columbus.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 429

Hon. Theodore D. Robb

Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 469

  JERE ROBINSON, who occupies the responsible position of district foreman of the Ohio Oil Company, at Lima, has been a resident of this city since 1896.  He was born at Newton Hamilton, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, in 1851, and is a son of Robert and Ellen (Stephenson) Robinson.
     The father of Mr. Robinson was born in Ireland.  For many years he was a resident of New Castle, Pennsylvania, wehre he was connected with the building of public works.  He died there in 1871.
     Jere Robinson was educated in the schools of New Castle.  He learned the trade of molder, at which he worked for five years and then became engineer of the public works at New Castle for two years.  From there he went to the oil field of Clarion County as a pumper and continued there for five years.  His next engagement was in the Bradford field, where he had seven more years of experience, and from there he came to Cridersville, in Auglaize County, Ohio, and took charge of the property of Roess Brothers & Company, of Oil City, Pennsylvania.   He continued in this position until the Pennsylvania capitalists sold out to the Ohio Oil Company, and since then he has been associated with the latter company.  For the past 18 years, with the exception of but three months, he has occupied the import ant position of foreman.  He is a man of large practical experience in oil and his efficiency is appreciated by the Ohio Oil Company.
     In 1877 Mr. Robinson was married to Isabel Alexander, who is a daughter of James Alexander, of Pennsylvania.  They have had five children, viz: Ivy May, wife of R. J. Banta, of the firm of F. J. Banta & Son, candy manufacturers of Lima; Mabel E., and Elsie R., students at Hollins Institute, Virginia; and Herbert and Albert, both deceased.  The family belong to the Market Street Presbyterian Church. Fraternally Mr. Robinson is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the Maccabees.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 846
  W. F. ROBINSON, chief engineer of the gauging department of The Buckeye Pipe Line Company, has been located at Lima for the past 14 years, and has been identified with the oil industry since boyhood.  He was born in 1860 in Brooklyn, New York. and is a son of James Robinson, now deceased.  James Robinson was also interested in oil production, having started in at old Oil Creek when the oil industry was in its infancy.  When the various pipe lines were consolidated, in April, 1877, he was made chief engineer of the tank gauging department, a position he held until his death in 1898.
     The Robinson family left Brooklyn in 1862 and located in the oil field of Pennsylvania, their first residence being at Petroleum Center.  From there, in 1873, they moved to St. Petersburg, Clarion County, and six years later our subject was made his father’s assistant in the business and stationed at Bradford, Pennsylvania.   He remained there 12 years when he was sent to take charge of the office at Lima, and upon the death of his father in 1898 he was promoted to the office of chief engineer.  His territory embraces all the oil fields of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Kansas and Indian Territory, with offices at Bradford, Pennsylvania, Lima and Independence, Kansas.
     Mr. Robinson was married in 1884 to Mary E. Conneely, a native of Pennsylvania.  They have two daughters—Genevieve and Frances, the former being a graduate and the latter a student of the Lima High School.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 865
  JOHN W. ROTHE, one of the substantial farmers and representative citizens of German township, where he owns land aggregating 292 acres, situated in sections 13, 14 and 23, was born in Germany, Nov. 29, 1830, and is a son of Frederick and Mary Rothe.
     In 1855 John W. Rothe, accompanied by his parents, came to America and located in Perry township, Allen County, Ohio, where he bought 50 acres of land for which he paid $12 per acre.  It was a piece of woodland on which a round-log cabin stood, and this was the family home for 10 years.  Mr. Rothe then purchased 80 acres in sections 13 and 14, German township, subsequently adding to this until he now owns 292 acres of some of the finest land to be found in the county.  Prior to coming to the United States he had learned the blacksmith trade at which he worked during his younger years.
     In 1856 Mr. Rothe was married to Mary Fuchs, and they have had two sons—John and Frederick.  The elder son, John Rothe, died in 1898; his wife, Elizabeth Lease, died in 1899 and their only child died when one year old.
     Frederick Rothe, the second son, resides on the home farm and superintends its cultivation.  He married Tinnie Houseman, and to them have been born four children, viz.: Rudy (the only daughter), who died at the age of six years; and Albert, Calvin and Leonard, who at tend the district school in section 13.
     Mr. and Mrs. Rothe are worthy members of the German Reformed Church at Lima, of which Mr. Rothe has been a trustee and deacon.  These good people are looking forward with pleasure to a celebration of their Golden Wedding,” which occurs Jan. 27, 1906.  They will have a wide circle of friends to wish them continued peace and prosperity for they are well known and most highly esteemed.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 453
  FRANKLIN ROUSH, owner and proprietor of the "Clover Leaf Farm," which is situated in section 28, Bath township, was born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, Oct. 1, 1838, and is a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Morehead) Rouse.
The Roush family originated in Germany.  George Rouse, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Union County, Pennsylvania.  There his son Henry was born Dec. 25, 1803.  He died here at the age of 78 years.  During a few years of his early manhood he followed the trade of blacksmith, but the remainder of his life was spent in agricultural pursuits.  He was at one time captain of a company of State militia.  Politically he was a Democrat; in religion, a Lutheran.  He was a hard-working man, honest and upright and left 100 acres of good land to his family.  He married Elizabeth Morehead, who belongs to a Pennsylvania-Dutch community.  She died when our subject was only four years old, the mother of these children:  George, of Michigan; John, of Lima; Joseph, of Macon, Georgia; Katherine (Copeland) of Lima; William, who died in Kansas; Henry, of Iowa; Franklin, of this sketch; Philip, of Allen County; and Jacob, of Illinois.  The father married again and the children of his second union were:  Theodore, of Lima; Jane (Boose), deceased; Emma (Roberts), of Bath township; and Ephraim, of Bath township.
     Franklin Roush remained in Pennsylvania until his father moved to a farm in Bath township, about 1851.  Being 13 years old at that time, he was able to give considerable assistance about the farm, where he remained until he was 17 years old.  He then went to Iowa where he stayed one year.  At that time a large part of the present populous State was nothing but a wilderness and where he stayed while in Iowa was so secluded that it could only be reached by ox teams.  It took him a month to make the trip over the 1,000 miles of road.  He worked in the wilderness for one year and then turned eastward and proceeded as far as Illinois, where he took the cars and came home.  Two years he spent here and then went back to Illinois and spent a summer, and in the following spring, when the Civil War broke out, he was one of the first in his neighborhood to offer his services to his country.
     Mr. Roush enlisted in April, 1861, from Greenville, Darke County, Ohio, entering Company K, 11th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under Captain Newkirk.  During his four months of service he was not out of the State, but before he was discharged he assisted in the building of Camp Dennison.  He was then taken sick and for a whole year he was in poor health, or he would have immediately re-entered the army.  He farmed for a time but in the spring of 1865 he again enlisted, this time in Company D, 192nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under Captain Lybrand. and was sent with his regiment to guard Harper’s Ferry.  He was mustered out on Sept. 1, 1865.  For the following 12 years Mr. Roush lived at Lima, working at first for others; but later establishing a business of his own in the manufacture of wood stirrups and saddle trees.  For three years he was in partnership with Messrs. King and Day, and the business was prosperous, furnishing employment for 29 hands, 1876 being the banner year.  Subsequently Mr. Roush bought out his partners and continued the business alone for a number of years.
     After disposing of his interests at Lima, he removed to the homestead farm which he operated for two and a half years.  In 1880 he bought his present farm of 142½ acres in section 28, Bath township.  He named his farm “Clover Leaf” and for six years he ran the “Clover Leaf Dairy.” building up a great reputation for his products.  His land is very valuable for all purposes.  Oil has been found here, and of the 10 wells that have been sunk six are in active operation.  He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, but also enjoys an income from a fine stone quarry on the place and runs a crusher to prepare stone for road purposes.  He is a man of a great deal of energy and understands how to turn all his advantages to excellent account.
     In 1862 Mr. Roush was married to Mahala Harvey, of Allen County, who is a daughter of George and Nancy Harvey, and they have a fine family of children, named as follows:  Willis, living at home; John F., of California, who has one son; Bertha Ellen, who married Charles Mumaugh, of Bath township and has six children; Araminta, living at home; William, a traveling salesman, who has one child; Mary, living at home; Alanson George, of Cleveland; Oliver S., of Lima, who has one child; James Delbert, of Cleveland, who has two children; Ina Pearl, who married Harry Lewis and has one son; and Grace May, living at home.  The last named, the 11th member.  of the family, shares this distinction with both her mother and grandmother.
     Mr. Roush has always been a Democrat.  and on numerous occasions he has been elected to office.  He has been township trustee for six years and has been assessor, councilman and a school official in Lima and in Bath township.  He is one of the comrades of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, G. A. R., at Lima.  For a member of years he has been a member of the Christian Church, of which he is one of the deacons.
     Mr. Roush is a man of sterling character and is truly representative of the best type of Allen County farmers and first-class citizens.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 473
  W. E. RUDY, the veteran automobile dealer of Lima, was born in Allen County 38 years ago and has been a resident of the city of Lima for the past 15 years.  Mr. Rudy established a new line of business for Lima when he opened his garage and entered into the sale of automobiles, bringing the first machine to this county. He carries, in addition, a complete line of bicycle sundries and a good line of bicycles.
     Mr. Rudy grew to manhood in Allen County and enjoyed the advantage of a college education, having taken the scientific course in the Ohio Normal University at Ada, from which he was graduated.  Two years of practical work in teaching followed, when he became a "knight of the grip" and for five years was salesman for a bicycle company, traveling over Ohio, Pennsylvania, and a part of New York in his eastern Territory, and through Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma in the West.  In 1890 he settled in Lima and engaged in retailing automobiles and bicycles, his business growing to such an extent that it necessitated enlarged quarters, when he erected his garage, a large building 100 by 50 feet, which is located on Elizabeth street, near the Postoffice—a splendid site and a splendid business.
     Mr. Rudy was married in 1892 to Anna Doolittle, of Pennsylvania, by whom he has two bright children—Mildred and Marcus Mr.
Rudy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church while his wife is a Presbyterian, was a member of the Lima City Council for two years and is always ready to lend his hearty support to any movement of utilitarian import.  Fraternally, he is connected with the Elks, the Red Men and the Odd Fellows.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 580
  SCOTT T. RUMBAUGH, who owns a fine farm of 114 acres, situated in section 32, German township, was born in Bath township, this county, on Oct. 13, 1859, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary Jane (Roberts) Rumbaugh.
     Benjamin Rumbaugh
, father of our subject, was also a native of Bath township.  He
died at Lima, in February, 1903, and was buried in Greenlawn Cemetery.  The mother of our subject still survives and resides at Lima.
     Scott T. Rumbaugh was reared and educated in Bath township, and remained there until he was 25 years old, when he came to Lima and secured work in the L. E. & W. Railroad shops.  In 1902 Mr. Rumbaugh bought the fine farm which he now occupies, and in 1905 erected the handsome residence which is the family home, the old farm house being occupied by his son-in-law, Charles
     On Dec. 25, 1884, Mr. Rumbaugh was united in marriage, at Allentown, with Rachel Coon, who is a daughter of Wesley and Caroline (Craft) Coon, and a sister of Mrs. W. H. Benedum.  The Coons were very early settlers of Allen County, locating in the vicinity of Spencerville.
     Mr. and Mrs. Rumbaugh have two children living, viz: Tressie, born June 22, 1887, who was married Apr. 11, 1903, to Charles Smith, and has one child—Frank, born Oct. 9, 1904; and Pauline, born May 15, 1900.  A twin boy and girl, Nellie and Edgar, born June 13, 1895, lived but a few hours.
     Mr. Rumbaugh and wife are members of the United Brethren Church, at Allentown, and accord it liberal support.  He is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 710




This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights