OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Allen County, Ohio
And Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Charles C. Miller, Ph. D.
Assisted by
Dr. Samuel A. Baxter
Lima, Ohio
Published by Richmond & Arnold
George Richmond; G. R. Arnold
Chicago, Ill
1906

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

George Hall, D.D.S.
GEORGE HALL, D. D. S., one of Lima's leading professional men and formerly postmaster of this city for a period of nine years, whose portrait is shown on the opposite page, was born in 1842 in Iowa, and is a son of the late Harrison Hall, who was once the leading ontractor in this city, dying here in 1902 at the age of 88 years.
     George Hall was educated at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa, and began the study of medicine and dentistry with Dr. Carhart, of that city.  At the outbreak of the Civil War, although but 18 years of age and with a promising career before him in professional life, he enlisted in the three months' service but was not mustered in the United States service because the Iowa quota was filled.  The Doctor then re-enlisted in the three years' service term of service covered four years and four months, at the close of the first three years re-enlisting as a veteran.  The young soldier participated in all the battles in which his command was engaged until July 22, 1864, when in front of Atlanta, he was made a prisoner of war ,the entire command being captured at the same time.  As a prisoner he was remanded to Andersonville where three wretched months were spent; three of almost equal misery were passed at Florence, South Carolina, and one month at Charleston, where on the third attempt he accomplished his escape.  This was done by jumping from a moving train near Wilmington, North Carolina.
     Dr. Hall had then been imprisoned just seven months to a day, and did not purpose-being again subjected to the horrors from which he had escaped.  Cautiously he made his way to Wilmington, then occupied by the Confederates, and fortunately found a Union family willing to secrete him and give him necessary food and raiment.  After remaining with these good Samaritans for six days, the city was taken by the Federal forces, and as soon as possible he reported to the commander, General Perry.  The exposure brought on a violent illness and he was sent to the hospital at Annapolis, where he spent 2 months.  His honorable discharge was received on July 21, 1865, at Louisville, Kentucky.
     Dr. Hall then joined his parents at Lima, whither they had removed during the war, and as soon as he was fully restored to health he established a dental practice in which he has virtually been engaged since 1867, although much of his time has been occupied in the discharge of duties of a public nature.  President Harrison appointed him postmaster at Lima and he served also under Presidents McKinley and Roosevelt, having always been more or less prominent in political matters in this section of the State.  The affairs of his city have also claimed his interest.  He has frequently been elected a member of the City Council and has been president of that body.  He served two terms on the Board of Education of Lima. and among thoughtful citizens he is recognized as one of the strong men of the community.
     In 1875 Dr. Hall was married to E. Virginia Hackedorn. who is a daughter of George G. Hackedorn, long engaged in a banking business here.  Fraternally, Dr. Hall is prominent in Masonry, belonging to the Blue Lodge, Council. Chapter and Commandery at Lima.  He is also an Odd Fellow.  He has been one of the moving spirits in Grand Army circles here; has been commander of Mart Armstrong Post, No. 202, and has served as a member of the administrative committee of the Department of Ohio, G. A. R.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 477
  H. B. HALL, of the well-known mercantile firm of Grosjean & Hall, shoe dealers, at No. 55 Public Square, Lima, is a native of Canada, his birth occurring in 1871, just across the river from Port Huron.  He was reared and educated in the Dominion, and graduated from a business college there in 1886.
     Mr. Hall has been connected with the shoe business during almost his entire commercial life.  In 1891, after. a training in this line for several years in Canada, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and became associated with the firm of Mabley & Carew.  He remained with them for three years in their stores at Cincinnati and Detroit, and then located in Lima.  After being employed for three years in the shoe store of H. J. Jacobson, he returned to Cincinnati and for one year was associated with The Smith, Kasson Company of that city.  He was then recalled to Lima by Mr. Jacobson, of the Columbia Shoe Company, with whom he remained for two years, when he resumed his former connections in Cincinnati.  From The Smith, Kasson Company he entered the service of I. L. Fuldheim for a short period.  In the meantime Mr. Netzory had purchased the Columbian Shoe Store at Lima and secured the services of Mr. Hall in whom he had great confidence as a practical shoeman.  Mr. Hall again returned to Lima and continued with Mr. Netzory for two years, then establishing an independent business by forming a partnership with Mr. Grosjean.  The firm has a favorable location and carries a complete and carefully selected assortment of foot-wear, conducting probably one of the largest establishments in Northwestern Ohio.
     In January, 1899, Mr. Hall was married to Helen Mumford, who is a daughter of A. W. Mumford, a prominent citizen of Lima, who for a number of years has been connected with the oil industry.  They have one child, James R.
     Mr. Hall is connected with Lima Lodge of Elks. Both members of the firm are identified with the Lima Progressive Association.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 608
  JACOB HALL, a veteran farmer of Monroe township, owning 110 acres of land in sections 26 and 35, to the improvement of which he has devoted the past 50 years, was born in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, Oct. 5,  1830.  His parents moved to Carroll County, Ohio, when he was three years old and one year later settled in Tuscarawas County where they lived for about 12 years, coming to Allen County in 1854.  His parents were William and Christina (Smith) Hall, natives of New Jersey.  They were farmers and owned about 300 acres of land in Monroe township.  The father died at the age of 74 years, while the wife reached her 87th year.  They were the parents of nine children, namely: Delila, Mary, John, Abraham, Diadama (Lackey), Sarah Ann, Jacob, Salinda (Jennings) and Isaac.  Except our subject and Mrs. Jennings, who resides in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, these children have all passed away.
     Jacob Hall resided with his parents until his 24th year, renting his father’s farm for two years previous to purchasing his present property of 110 acres.  At the time of purchase, this land was covered with a heavy growth of timber, all of which has since been cleared off.  The property has all been put under cultivation except about 25 acres of pasture land.  During the war, Mr. Hall was extensively engaged in shipping stock, but has since been doing general farming and has improved his place until it is among the best in the vicinity.
     Mr. Hall was married Aug. 16, 1855, to Harriet Wallace, who was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, Apr. 29, 1836, and came to Allen County 10 years later with her parents, who were John and Rebecca (Poyer) Wallace, of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.  They died in Allen County.  The mother had one daughter by a previous marriage and four children by her union with John Wallace, namely: Charles, of Van Wert County; Harriet; William, of Monroe township; and John M., who moved to Kansas, where he died.  Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall, as follows: Hilas, who died at the age of 32 years; Annetta Bell, wife of Albert Herron; Rebecca Alice, wife of Adam Roberts, of Columbus Grove; Christina, wife of Jacob Miller; and William O. Except Mrs. Roberts, all the children live in Monroe township, the son living on 40 acres of the homestead.  Mr. Hall has been a Republican since casting his ballot for Gen. John C. Fremont. He is a member of the Methodist Church and a man universally respected and esteemed.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 789
  J. N. HALLER, the enterprising grocer, has been long and closely identified with the city of Lima.  He was born in June, 1851, in German township, this county, where he was reared and educated.  His father was Samuel Haller who located in Allen County about 1840 and died in Lima in 1860.  Both the father and grandfather, who was named Samuel, were brickmasons and built most of the brick buildings which were erected here prior to their death.
     J. N. Haller learned the trade of mason and was engaged in that work for a number of years, giving special attention to plastering.  He spent three years in the South, one in the printing office at Singerglen, Virginia, and two in the shipyards of Baltimore.  Returning to Lima, which had been his home since his third year, he engaged in the newspaper business, and for eight years had charge of the advertising and the subscription list of the old Republican.  Being appointed patrolman on the police force of Lima, he served three years in that capacity, and then was promoted to the position of chief of police of Lima, in which capacity he served two years.  In 1897 he worked at his trade, and the year following embarked in the grocery business which he still conducts.  He erected the fine business block at 613 West Wayne street, where he is located and meeting with merited success.
     Mr. Haller was married in 1873 to Emma Smith, daughter of Judge Smith who was surveyor of Paulding County for several years and, later, probate judge.  Mr. and Mrs. Haller have have one son, C. C. Haller who in the November election of 1905 was the Republican nominee for sheriff of Van Wert County.  He is a prominent Mason and a Knight Templar.  J. N. Haller has taken an active interest in the good government of the city and was formerly a member of the City Council.  He is a zealous member of the Disciples' Church and a man who is esteemed for his uprightness and honor.  Mr. Haller was made a Knight in Concordia Lodge, Knights of Pythias, Baltimore, Maryland, 36 years ago and was a prime factor in organizing Lima Lodge, No. 91.  He has passed through all the offices and has twice represented the local lodge at the Grand Lodge.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 437
  F. P. & J. J. HARDIN, whose extensive agricultural operations and large stock-raising enterprises are carried on in section 35, Perry township, are experienced men in their line of activity.
     The firm which is made up of Franklin Pierce and James J. Hardin, brothers, began the raising of Chester-White hogs in 1895.  It is probably that no exhibitors at fairs ever met with greater success, year in and year out, than has this firm. They have exhibited at county, State and international fairs, meeting the very best in competition, and have frequently captured every first prize offered, and on all occasions have secured the lion’s share of the honors.  At the St. Louis Exposition in 1904, they carried off $1,235 in prizes, and it is a remarkable and unusual fact that at all the various fairs where they have exhibited, their prizes have been far in excess of the shipping charges and expense of exhibiting.  This enviable reputation has been made in a period of six years and it is of so stable a character as to have brought a demand for their Chester-Whites from every section of this country and from Canada.  The hogs bring fancy prices and are -mainly used by buyers for breeding and exhibition purposes.
     The first exhibition made by the firm was in 1898, at the Ohio State Fair, and the exhibit won four first and a second prize and two sweepstakes.  In this year the firm lost 92 head; so in 1899 they exhibited but two hogs and received one first and one second prize, and in 1900, three sweepstakes and four first, four second and three third prizes.  At the Indiana State Fair in 1900, they were awarded five first premiums, one second, one third and one championship.  In 1900 at the Illinois State Fair they were awarded 10 firsts, three seconds, one third and one sweepstake.  In the same year, at St. Louis, they received 10 firsts and three thirds. In 1901, at the Pan-American Exposition they took six firsts, six seconds, three thirds, three fourths, one fifth and one sweepstake.  In this same year, at the New York State Fair held at Syracuse, they received two championship, 10 firsts out of a possible 11, and three seconds.  In 1901, at the Michigan State Fair, they were awarded 11 firsts out of a possible 12, three seconds and two thirds.  In 1902, at the Iowa State Fair, held at Des Moines, they received one first, five seconds and one third prize.  In 1902, at the Nebraska State Fair held at Lincoln, they received eight firsts, six seconds, four thirds and one fourth, and at the Kansas State Fair, they received 11 firsts and six seconds.
     In 1903 they exhibited at the Ohio State Fair and were awarded 11 first, all they were entered in, four seconds and one third.  At the Indiana State Fair held at Indianapolis, in 1903, they received eight firsts, two seconds, two thirds and one championship.  In the same year, at the Kentucky State Fair held at Owensboro, they were given seven firsts, six seconds and seven thirds.  At the Illinois State Fair held at Springfield in 1903, they were awarded six first and six seconds. At the Inter national Fair held at Chicago, they were awarded 10 firsts, six seconds, two thirds and two championships, this remarkable record of exhibitions and successes being completed at the St. Louis Exposition, as above mentioned.  Their prize winners at the St. Louis Louisiana Purchase Exposition were as follows: Junior yearling boar, first prize; senior under year boar, first and second prize; junior under year boar, first prize; aged sow, 19th and 20th prizes; senior yearling sow, second and fourth prizes; junior yearling sow, second prize; senior under year sow, first and fifth prizes; junior under year sow, seventh prize.  At the same exposition the championships were: Champion boar under year, first and reserve; champion sow under one year, first prize; champion sow, any age. first prize; get of one sire, four animals, first and fifth prizes; four animals, produce of one sow, first prize; boar and three sows over one year, first prize; boar and sow under one year, first prize; best showing of Chester-White swine in class ring, first prize; best showing of Chester-White bred by exhibitor, first prize; boar and three sows, one year and over, bred by exhibitor, first $200 prize; champion fat barren, one year and under, two first prizes; champion barren, any age, first prize.
     In addition to hog raising the firm engaged in general farming, and they feed, buy and sell cattle, horses and mules, also raise seed corn.  They keep all kinds of machinery necessary for their work and include in their possession a full complement of carpenter and blacksmith tools so that they can make most of their own repairs.  They also operate a sawmill on one corner of the farm.  A large, handsome modern home is surrounded by all the necessary buildings, which are made use of in the conduct of such extensive business operations.
     FRANKLIN PIERCE HARDIN, the senior member of the well-known firm of F. P. & J. J. Hardin, was born Feb. 16, 1865, in Allen County, a half mile east of South Warsaw, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Jacobs) Hardin.
     Jesse Hardin
, the grandfather, was born in Pennsylvania, and was a son of John Hardin, who also was a native of the Keystone State, and moved with his family to Ohio, first settling in Knox County, but locating in 1837 with the pioneers in Auglaize County.  Jesse Hardin married Mary Brentlinger, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Daniel Brentlinger, also a pioneer in Auglaize County.  They had the following children: John, Martha, Louisa, Martin, Catherine, Joseph, all deceased; Lucinda, wife of S. D. Focht; Anna, deceased, who was the wife of Joseph H. Lusk, also deceased; Frank P., of Union township, Auglaize County; Melissa, deceased; and Marietta, wife of Dr. Peter Van Trump.
     John Hardin, father of Franklin P., was born Jan. 31, 1840, in Auglaize County, was educated in the common schools and remained at home until the age of 23, when he was married on Sept. 14, 1863, to Elizabeth Jacobs.  She was a daughter of Cadwallader and Sallie (Lepley) Jacobs.  They had the following children: Franklin P.; James J.; Willett L., who is taking up-coal leases for the Symmes Creek Coal Company; Eli B., of Lima; Baxter S., who was drowned July 19, 1902, while on a fishing excursion in British Columbia; Charles S., who died in infancy; and Mary Sally, who died Sept. 7, 1900. 
     In 1863 John Hardin settled in section 26, Perry township, and five years later moved to section 35.  He cleared and improved the larger part of this farm and resided upon it until 1894, when he went to California for a year, returning to Ohio in 1895 and settling at Lima, where he died Aug. 20, 1900.  In 1880 he embarked in the lumber business.  After the discovery of oil and the necessity for oil machinery arose, he engaged in the manufacture of sucker rods until 1894.  His sons; who compose the Hardin firm, still continue the business.  Prior to this, in 1881, he engaged in the drain tile business with G. Jennings and D. L. Umbaugh.  In 1890 he bought out his partners, and in 1896 he was in partnership with J. A. Jacobs, a brother-in-law, in the Lima Coal & Sewer Pipe Company, and still later he was interested in the sale of farm implements, carriages and wagons. continuing an active business man until his death. In politics he was a Democrat and on several occasions he served in township offices.
     Franklin P. Hardin was three years of age when his parents came to the present farm in section 35, Perry township, on the Auglaize County line, on which he has resided for 37 years.  His education was acquired in the local schools and all his interests have centered around this farm and its many possibilities.  In 1890 the father formed the firm of John Hardin & Sons and in all his enterprises the sons assisted.  After the father gave up his lumber interests, Franklin P. and James J. continued the business until 1901.  Since 1901 his time has been mostly devoted to promoting the farming and hog interests of the firm of F. P. & J. J. Hardin, mentioned above.
     On Nov. 1, 1894, Mr. Hardin was married to Belle Bowyer, who was born in Auglaize township, Allen County, Ohio, June 21, 1867, and is a daughter of Henry and Emeline (Eastman) Bowyer.  Her father was a son of Madison and Rachel (Largent) Bowyer.  Four children have been born to this marriage, namely: Celila Lawrie, born Mar. 6, 1896; Roena Ilo, born June 7, 1898; Avis Anil, born Sept. 24, 1900; and Milba Hale, born Jan. 1, 1904.  Politically, Mr. Hardin is a Democrat.
     As the above record has told, both Mr. and Mrs. Hardin belong to old established families of this section.  Mr. Hardin is proud of these ancestral lines, as he has reason to be, and he has in his possession two pictures which will doubtless be highly valued by his descendants.  These may be termed four-generation groups and those presented on one picture are his grandmother, Mrs. Mary Bentlinger Hardin, his father, John Hardin, himself and a daughter.  The other, more interesting, represents Mrs. Hardin, her mother, Mrs. Emeline (Eastman) Bowyer, her grandmother, Mrs. Rachel Bowyer, and her own two daughters, besides all those in the first group and the mother of our subject.  There are many families who would consider these priceless treasures had their ancestors been thoughtful enough to preserve family pictures in this way.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 561
  ABRAM HARROD, a highly esteemed retired resident of Lima, was born in Mercer County, Ohio, Apr. 27, 1850, and is a son of David and Jane (Rickmire) Harrod.
    
The father of Mr. Harrod was born in 1792 in Knox County, Ohio, and the mother in the same locality two years later.  After marriage they settled near Fort Recovery, in Mercer County, in 1837, and lived there on a farm until 1852, when David Harrod went west on a prospecting tour, in search of a suitable location to which to remove.  He was taken ill with cholera on a steamboat on the Missouri River and died far from home.
     Abram Harrod lived at home in Mercer County until 1875 and then went to California, where he spent one year and then settled at Geneva, Indiana, where he engaged in an undertaking and furniture business for some seven years, removing then to Portland, Indiana.  There he embarked in an implement business which he continued four years.  On Jan. 1, 1886, he came to Lima and became traveling salesman for Henry Parham in an implement business.  After seven years in this employment, he took up the duties of county recorder, to which he had been elected on the Democratic ticket.  He served six years and eight months, having been reelected.  Since retiring from this position he has been traveling representative of a Court House supply firm.  Recently he has been appointed market master by the Board of Public Service of Lima.
     On May 15, 1875, Mr. Harrod was married to Harriet Smith, of Van Wert County, Ohio, who is a daughter of David and Jane (Hartzog) Smith.  They have two sons, viz.: Bert G., who is connected with the Lima Locomotive Works, and Robert L., who is traveling for a wholesale implement firm of Kansas City, where he resides.  He is a graduate of the law department of the University of Michigan, but imperfect hearing interfered with his professional career.  Mr. and Mrs. Harrod are members of the Methodict Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 452
  HENRY CLAY HART, M. D., now residing on his well-improved farm of 160 acres, situated in section 25, Spencer township, was one of the earliest physicians to settle at Spencerville, where he continued in active practice for many years.  Dr. Hart was born July 19, 1841, at Troy, Miami County, Ohio, and is a son of Levi and Sarah Sewell (Tullis) Hart.
     Dr. Hart
comes of sturdy American patriot stock, his ancestry reaching directly to one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  The father of Dr. Hart was born in New Jersey and was one of a family of seven children.  Previous to coming to Ohio he worked as a machinist; but later he became a farmer and died in Ohio in 1865.  He was a liberal man in relation to education and religion and filled an important place in his community.  He was survived until 1886 by his wife, who was born in Virginia.  The family consisted of four children, namely:  Francis C., Dorisa Ann, Henry Clay and John B., the last named deceased in infancy.
     Henry Clay Hart grew up on his father's farm and secured his literary education in the schools at Delphos.  He was employed later by a local business house as bookkeeper until he reached his majority, when, in August, 1862, he entered the Union Army.  He enlisted in Company F, 118th Reg., Ohio Vol, Inf., at Delphos, and was mustered out at Evansville, Indiana, from the Second Battalion, V. R. C., on July 6, 1865.  For nearly 18 months he had held the position of post adjutant.  His health being poor at this time, he was employed mainly at detached duty and was proffered an honorable discharge by President Lincoln on this account.  This offer he did not take advantage of and this evidence of patriot ism brought him a personal letter from the President, commending him in high terms.
     After his return from the army, the young man tried farming for a time, but his health was scarcely robust enough to enable him to make of it a success. He then turned his attention to medicine.  He prepared for college with a local practitioner, and took a course of lectures in the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, where he was graduated April 23, 1869.  In the same year he took up his residence at Spencerville, which at that time was a village of 300 souls.  He was the third physician to locate here, the late Dr. Campbell and Dr. Rails having come here a short time before.  Dr. Hart practiced here for 20 years and then went to Monticello for two years.  On account of failing health, he then retired to his farm which, when he purchased it, was a tract of dense woods lying along the canal, two and a half miles north of Spencerville.  In addition to being a fertile and productive agricultural property, it is also valuable for the oil that underlies it, 12 wells having been already developed.  Dr. Hart has cleared all this land with the exception of three acres.  The land is well tiled and substantial buildings have been erected.  Dr. Hart lives retired, having excellent tenants to look after his farming interests.
     In April, 1889, Dr. Hart was married to Elizabeth Vashti Rathgeber, who is a daughter of Jacob Rathgeber, of Spencer township.  Two years later the Doctor and wife retired to the farm where they enjoy all the comforts and a large number of the luxuries of life.  Mrs. Hart takes great pleasure in her housekeeping and many of the Doctor’s leisure hours are passed in his well-equipped library.
     Dr. Hart is a stanch Republican and for years was active in party affairs.  He has served in various offices and on numerous boards since coming to Allen County.  During two terms he was a member of the Spencerville Town Council and while on that body was appointed street commissioner.  During his administration much of the east part of town was laid out, and it was Dr. Hart’s suggestion that the street east of Pearl should be named “College" street. For two terms he was a member of the Board of Education, and was chairman of the board when the school building was erected.  For over 11 years he was a member of the Board of Health.  In every way he has been one of the public-spirited and useful citizens of Allen County and is held in general esteem. He is a member of the local G. A. R. post of which he has been surgeon.
     Dr. Hart is a well-read man and a pleasant conversationalist, whose reminiscences of the early days of his practice in this locality are of a most interesting nature.  In those days he visited his patients on horseback, the only possible way, as his calls often came from distant and isolated farmhouses, and he has had thrilling adventures when answering the calls of duty, pursuing his way through cold and storm, often at night, following bridle-paths through the forest.
     The Doctor could have built up quite, a fortune but he has always given bounteously of his means to all worthy objects.  He has contributed to the erection of all the churches of his neighborhood as well as to their support.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 816
  CALVIN HEATH is well and favorably known, not only in Elida, where he conducts one of the finest meat markets in this part of Ohio, but throughout the entire county of Allen, having been engaged in extensive business transactions here during the past seven years.  Mr. Heath was born Aug. 15, 1857, in Cumberland County, Illinois, and is a son of Joseph Heath, now many years deceased, who was at one time successfully engaged in the butcher business.
     When Calvin Heath was nine years of age, the family moved to the State of Missouri, remaining there but one year when they returned east, locating in Champaign County, Ohio.  That was before the day of the lightning express and the journey was made by them in covered wagons.  Mr. Heath was educated in Champaign County and there grew to manhood.  As soon as he was large enough, he worked by the month as a farm hand for several years and later engaged in farming on his own behalf.  In 1898 he engaged in the butcher business at Elida and also bought and sold stock quite extensively, meeting with success in both lines of work.  In addition to running one of the best markets in the county, he ships cattle, hogs and sheep to supply the Pittsburg market and has made Elida widely known as a shipping point of importance.
     In 1881 Mr. Heath was married to Phoebe  Molenhour and four children have been born to them, namely:  Hazel; Oliver, who is associated in business with his father, Minnie and Ira.  Mrs. Heath had three brothers in the Civil War.  Her father, Henry Molenhour, was a locksmith and followed that occupation for more than 50 years, being so employed at the time of his death seven years ago.  Mr. Heath has been a member of the Elida Town Council for the past five years.  He has been an honored member of the United Brethren Church for 18 years and for a number of those years has served on the Board of Trustees.  When it was decided to erect a new church in Elida, B. F. Sherrick, Rev. Sords, the pastor, and Calvin Heath were appointed as the building committee and have carefully superintended the work which is now in process of erection, and will soon be ready for dedication, at which time Elida will have a church that will be a credit and an ornament to the entire community.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 430
  GEORGE W. HERRING, a prominent agriculturist of German township, owns a well-improved farm of 80 acres, situated in section 19, about a mile southwest of Elida.  He was born Nov. 4, 1869, in German township on the old Herring homestead, three-quarters of a mile south of his present home.  His parens, Penrose and Lydia (Hunsaker) Herring, were both natives of Fairfield County, where they were engaged in farming before coming to Allen County.  The father, who was born Aug. 24, 1830, died nov. 5, 1893, and the mother on Mar. 6, 1905; both were laid to rest in Greenlawn Cemetery at Elida.  Mr. Herring's paternal grandfather was Philip Herring, who was born in Pennsylvania, whence he came to Ohio, settling in Allen County as a pioneer.
     George W. Herring was reared on the homestead farm and has given the greater part of his life to farm work.  He spent some time in preparing himself for office work in Valentine Brothers’ school of telegraphy and shorthand at Janesville, Wisconsin, but while he was yet a student his father sickened and died and his presence was needed at home and the business course was accordingly abandoned.  His farm of 80 acres is one of the best kept and most profitable in German township.  There are 10 oilwells in active operation, five of which are leased to Mr. Whipple and five to W. L. Russell.
     Mr. Herring was married Apr. 13, 1899, to Callie F. Sawmiller, daughter of John and Mary (Bower) Sawmiller, residents of Amanda township.  Mr. Herring has served on the School Board and is now a member of the advisory board of German township.  He is a Democrat in politics, and in religion a member of the United Brethren Church, of Allentown He is a zealous worker in the church and is serving as treasurer of the Sunday-school.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 463
  PHILIP J. HOFFERBERT was born in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, July 21, 1858, and three years later came with his parents to Allen County, Ohio, settling in Monroe County, Ohio, settling in Monroe township where they have since lived.
     His parents were Peter and Phoebe (Weaver) HofferbertPeter Hofferbert was born in Hessen, Darmstadt, Germany, in 1834, and when a young man of about 18 years came to the United States, locating in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.  Here he was married to Phoebe Weaver, who was born in Pennsylvania about 1811 and died in March, 1893.  He had learned the trade of butcher in his native land, but after coming to Allen County he devoted his time to agriculture and acquired three farms comprising 280 acres, of which he died possessed in March, 1895, just two years after the decease of his devoted wife.  He was a loyal Republican and served nine months in the Civil War.  A member of the German Evangelical Church, he endeavored to live consistently in accordance with his belief.  He held a high place in the regard of his fellow-men and was trustee of his township for two terms, discharging his duties conscientiously and with ability.  His children were as follows: Annie E., who owns 40 acres of land in Monroe township and is a resident of Lima; John L., who resides in Sugar Creek township where he owns 80 acres; Philip J.; William L., who owns 80 acres in Monroe township and a son that died in infancy.
     Philip J. Hofferbert has resided continuously on his present farm since 1861, remaining with his parents until his 25th year, and then taking up the cultivation of 80 acres of the homestead in section 18, which he afterward purchased of his father.  He was married at this time, in 1884, and at once took his bride to the home he had prepared for her, and which he has since improved and beautified, as only the thrifty farmer ever does, by planting small fruit, shade and fruit trees, and erecting attractive and comfortable buildings.  He is engaged in general farming, though he also raises considerable stock.  Mrs. Hofferbert, who was formerly Catherine Bernius, was born Nov. 28, 1862, near the city of Dayton, Ohio.  Her parents were George and Elizabeth (Reitzel) Bernius, both of whom were natives of Germany where they grew to adult years before coming to the United States.  They were married soon after their arrival.  Six children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hofferbert, namely: Elmer George; Lily Grace; Alta Malinda; Naomi A.; Clarence P.; and Catherine ElizabethMr. Hofferbert is a member of the German Evangelical Church.  In politics he is a Republican and has held a number of local offices.  He is a practical, progressive farmer and has recently added to his home farm an adjoining tract of 50 acres, which lies in section 1 3, Sugar Creek township, Putnam County.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio, Publ. by Richmond & Arnold, Chicago, IL - 1906 - Page 623

NOTES:

 

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights