A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to


History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio
with Illustrations
and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers Most Prominent Men
Philadelphia - Williams Brothers

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z


  DR. D. A. HAMILTON was born at Blandford, Massachusetts, Mar. 12, 1807, and died at Chardon, June 7, 1867.
     He was graduated M.D. at the medical college of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and came to Hambden, Geauga County, in 1830, having, it is said, just fifteen cents when he arrived there.  Here he commenced practice, and though he remained but a year, he made an impression of use to him, on his removal to Chardon, not remote, a year later.
     Apr. 26, 1833, he was joined in marriage with Susan, a daughter of Judge Noah Hoyt, a most excellent and highly esteemed woman, whom he survived and was married a second time.*
     Dr. Hamilton was slight in figure, of pleasant countenance and address, of fair capacity and great industry.  He was an enthusiast in his profession, and kept up with its current literature.  After many years of practice, he attended a regular course of lectures at the Willoughby Medical College, and was quite abreast of all advances of his school.  Loving and honoring his profession above all things, an intense hater of every form of quackery, intolerant of all kinds of medical heterodoxy, his industry and zeal, his fidelity to duty and the sick, soon carried him to quite the head of his profession in Geauga County, which he maintained, notwithstanding his shattered health, to the day of his death.  When once enlisted in a case, no time, no labor, no fatigue, no cost was counted, save as dross, against success.  Kindly natured, tender, and full of sympathy, he became the warm and steady friend of his patients, estimating their steady regard and confidence as vastly above all other compensation.  Capable of great personal sacrifice and devotion, a defection from his school, an abandonment of himself, was
the sorest wound he could receive, and sometimes provoked resentment, when there was an element of personal ingratitude in the desertion.   As he was the stanchest and warmest of friends, so his enemies found him always alert to return blows, which he sometimes anticipated.
     In two memorable criminal cases he became an important expert witness,—in each for the defense.  The case of Ohio vs. Barnes, for murder, arose soon after Dr. Hamilton became a resident of Chardon.  It was a horrible case: a young girl set upon in the woods, outraged, and strangled.  The prosecution permitted the case to rest largely on the proof of the outrage, in which the evidence was not precise, while there could be no doubt of the murder.  Dr. Hamilton showed quite conclusively on the stand the weakness of the criminative evidence on this point.    The case, however, went off on the doubt of the defendant's identity with the murderer, and he was undoubtedly properly acquitted.  Dr. Hamilton showed himself a master of all the medical aspects of the case.
     In the later ease of Cole, for the murder of his wife, tried once in Geauga, and again in Ashtabula, the defendant was indicted for causing death by strychnine.  The moral evidence was overwhelming; the scientific inconclusive.  On this point the labors of Dr. Hamilton and his younger associate, Dr. Mixer, under the solicitation and urgency of Mr. Thrasher, counsel for Cole, were something amazing in the number and variety of their experiments, the time, skill, and zeal they expended in their cases under various conditions.  Dr. Hamilton felt hurt by the manner in which the leading counsel for the State dealt with his testimony, and it led to a suspension, almost the destruction, of a life-long friendship.
     Outside his profession, Dr. Hamilton was an ardent politician, and a liberal public-spirited citizen, of a high and fine sense of personal integrity and honor, never questioned by his enemies; the kindest of neighbors, the truest of friends, the most zealous of patriots, his death was a loss still deplored, and in some respects not to be restored.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 124
For the fruits of the first marriage, see the Hoyts.

James Hathaway
     Of the men who emigrated to the Reserve in youth with the limited advantages for education of an eastern boy of that day, and who sought to make his way by the literal labor of his own hands, quite the first place should be accorded to him whose fine head and striking face are here illustrated.
     Mr. Hathaway arrived in Geauga County in 1813 or 1814, and went into the employment of Lott Hathaway, a distant relative, in east, or rather northeast, Claridon, where he remained about a year in that hardest and healthiest work, chopping and clearing land.  From there he became employed about the old Higby mill, so often spoken of as in the south part of Hambden, but which really was in the north part of Claridon.
     Afterwards he became the owner of a steam-mill in Hambden, which he ran with his usual enterprise and success, and to which he added a still.
     Mr. Hathaway, to a shrewd, strong mind of unusual vigor, added that cultivation which may be acquired by a very busy man from books and newspapers and in a wide intercourse with men and the active world, and early became one of the best informed men of the county, as he was one of the foremost men of business in it.  These qualities, joined with his acknowledged integrity of character, early indicated him as one of the fittest for the offices of the township, many of which he held.  He was for many years a justice of the peace, and his admirable judgment, practical good sense, and the general respect of the people secured confidence in his decisions.
     In 1842 he was a candidate before the county Whig convention for the office of sheriff, with every prospect of a nomination, when an enemy circulated a slander with such adroit and malignant industry as to defeat him.  It was at once seen and felt to be a malicious falsehood; but the temporary mischief was done, though it as speedily recoiled on the head of its propagator.
     This wrong was afterward repaired by a nomination and election, followed by a re-election to this office.  The law made a. man ineligible to a third term.  Mr. Hathaway had already made himself familiar with the pension laws, and became one of the most sagacious and successful prosecutors of claims,—a business which he conducted for some years at Chardon, of which place he became a resident when elected sheriff'.
     He subsequently became a large purchaser of pine lands in the northwest, and a dealer in western lands.  Ultimately he removed West, and died there several years ago.
     Our artist’s sketch represents him as late in life, after his robust constitution was broken by severe illness and his full habit had yielded.  He was of medium height, fine head, and handsome, manly face and features.  He was a man of great vigor and activity of mind, a thorough business man, employing none but honorable expedients.  He was one of the kindest of men, generous and liberal in his dealings.  He was widely known and generally respected and esteemed.  The duties of sheriff' were performed with ability, fidelity, and promptitude.
     He married and reared a family of sons and daughters.  Of these the well known Hon. I. N. Hathaway is the oldest.
     Mrs. Hathaway survives her husband,- a lady greatly esteemed for her virtues and excellences.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 127
REUBEN HITCHCOCK, lawyer, born at Burton, Geauga County, Ohio, Sept. 2, A.D. 1806, and now (1878) living at Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, was the son of Peter Hitchcock, hereinbefore noticed, and Nabbie Cook.  His parents were married in 1805, and in the following year removed to Burton from Cheshire, Connecticut, where they had both previously lived.  He received his preparatory education at the Burton Academy, his preceptor being Rev. David S. Coe; and in the spring of 1823 entered Yale College, having made the journey there from Burton on horseback.  In September, 1826, he graduated and returned to his home in Ohio, where, for the next three years, he had charge of the same academy where he had acquired his preparatory education.  His spare time was occupied with the study of law in his father's office. In 1831 he was, by the Supreme Court of the State of Geauga County, admitted to practice in the several courts of the State, and at once removed to Painesville, where he commenced practice in partnership with Stephen Mathews.  This association continued but a short time, and after a few years he formed a copartnership with Eli T. Wilder, now of Minnesota, which continued until the year 1841, when he was appointed by the governor president judge of the court of common pleas for that district.  Having most satisfactorily performed the duties of this appointment, he resumed practice in Painesville with Mr. Wilder, and continued it until 1846, when he removed to Cleveland, and formed a partnership with H. V. Willson and Edward Wade, under the firm-name of Hitchcock, Willson & Wade.  This firm ranked among the first in the State.  In 1850 he was elected from Cuyahoga county to the constitutional convention of the State, and was an influential member of that body.  He also there rendered especial service in devising a system for the liquidation of the public debt of the State.  In 1851 he returned to Painesville to live, still retaining some business interests in Cleveland, and in the same year was elected judge of the court of common pleas of the district of which Lake County was part.  This position he filled with acknowledged ability until January, 1855, when he yielded to the solicitation of Governor Tod that he should take an active part in the management of the Cleveland and Mahoning railroad.  Resigning his place on the bench, he became vice-president and general legal adviser of that company, and continued to devote his time and attention closely to its business until the road was substantially completed.  Although this road proved a decided success, the company was much embarrassed during its construction, and his position was consequently one of much labor and anxiety.  When measurably relieved from active service here, he resumed practice in Cleveland with James Mason and E. J. Estep, under the style of Hitchcock, Mason & Estep, his time being divided between the railroad company and that firm until 1865, when he retired from general practice, but retained his connection with the railroad company, as director and general adviser.  Soon after his admission to the bar he attained a high standing as a lawyer, and his practice extended throughout northern Ohio, and continued thus extensive until his retirement, as aforesaid.  His familiarity with the affairs of said railroad, and with railroad management and legislation generally, led to his appointment, in 1869, as receiver  


Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 61

     This family group formed for many years an important and interesting feature in the society and history of Chardon.  The numerous descendants are widely scattered.
     was a native of Danbury, Connecticut, and his wife, Rhoda Waters, a native of Richmond, of the same State.  We have not the date of their marriage, nor removal to Chardon, Ohio, nor yet of their deaths.  He died at Chardon, at the age of eighty-four.  His wife survived him a few years, and died at the age of eighty-nine.  In New York he was elected a judge, and removed to Chardon in 1822 or 1823.  They were shrewd, intelligent persons, of whom many pleasant anecdotes are remembered.  Mrs. Hoyt especially was noted for her quaint wit and shrewd sayings, a talent which is pleasantly shared by several of her descendants.  Of their five children,
     only son, was born in 1795, and died in Chardon in 1854, at the age of fifty-nine.  He held the office of county treasurer for fourteen years; was a man of more than average ability and superior intelligence.
     His wife was Eleanor Converse, sister of Hon. Julius Converse, governor of Vermont, and also of the late Jude Converse, of Chardon. They were married in 1823, and removed to Chardon in 1824, where they resided until the death of Mr. Hoyt, after which Mrs. Hoyt removed to Cleveland, where she resides. Mrs. Hoyt is a superior woman, endowed with a fine person, great intelligence, and pleasing manners.  In her young days was possessed of a fine voice, and excelled as a vocalist.
     Of the children of Sylvester and Eleanor, one daughter, Susan, is the wife of E. B. Hale, Esq., the well-known banker of Cleveland.  They have a fine family.  The younger daughter, Mary, is the wife of J. S. Tildcn, Esq., also of Cleveland.  Of the sons, George, has for years been the popular city editor of the Plain Dealer, married Abbie Worthington, of Cleveland, and resides there.  The second son, Henry, married Helen, the daughter of Orlando Cutter, of Cleveland, and resides in Pennsylvania.  Frank, the youngest, unmarried, lived in Topeka, Kansas.  He died recently. 
     The eldest daughter of the elder Hoyts, Mary Ann, became the wife of Dr. Scott, of Parkman, and the mother of a numerous family.  The second daughter, Caroline, became the wife of Eleazar Paine, and mother of General H. E., George E., James H., and Mrs. Eli Bruce.  Subsequently to the death of Mr. Paine, she became the wife of Rev. Mr. Eaton, moved away, became the-mother of two daughters, and died several years ago.  Another daughter, Susan, became the wife of Dr. L. A. Hamilton, late of Chardon, also the mother of Charles and Eugene, of New York; Cornelia, the wife of Mr. Barna, of Cleveland; Mary, unmarried, who resides with Mrs. Barna; and Maria, the wife of Mr. Cowan, also of Cleveland.  The third daughter of Judge Hoyt, Maria, at ripe years, became the wife of Ira Webster, Esq., late of Chardon, a well-known citizen of that town. 
     Of this whole group, all the seniors, except Mrs. Eleanor Hoyt, of Cleveland, have passed away.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 123
  GOVERNOR SAMUEL HUNTINGTONSamuel Huntington, one of the most distinguished characters in early Ohio history, was born in Coventry, Connecticut, Oct. 4, 1765, and was designated, as the Norwich records show, Samuel 3d.  He was the protégé and adopted son of Samuel Huntington, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, president of Congress, and governor of Connecticut.  The subject of this sketch graduated at Yale, 1785, and had for those times a very complete education.  He was a man of great refinement, and very polished and courtly in his manner and address.  Old letters speak of him as being small in person, but of fine presence, and a man of remarkable activity.  He was married in 1791 to Hannah, daughter of Judge Andrew Huntington; was admitted to the bar in Norwich, and remained there practicing his profession with his uncle until his decease, when he made a visit to Ohio.  This was in the year 1800, and in the following year Mr. Huntington removed to Cleveland, bringing his wife.  He was immediately introduced to public life, and it followed naturally that, with his talents, activity, ambition, and force of character, he was successful.  He appears to have belonged to the moderate Republican faction in politics, and to have retained the confidence of the Federalists.  He was appointed by Governor St. Clair in 1802 lieutenant-colonel of the Trumbull county militia regiment, and a little later one of the justices of the quorum.  He took by common consent priority on the bench of quarter sessions, and his advancement was rapid from the time he first entered the country until his untimely death.  In 1802 he was one of the delegates to the convention which framed the State constitution, and after its adoption was elected senator from Trumbull county, which then included the whole Reserve; and on the meeting of the first Legislature at Chillicothe was chosen speaker.  The first commission given under the authority of the State, made by Govern Tiffin, appointed him as one of the three judges of the Supreme Court.  In the following year he was made chief judge, and he held this position until 1808, when he was elected governor.  The office of receiver of public moneys at Steubenville was offered him by President Jefferson, as was also that of judge in the territory of Michigan; but both were declined.  During the war of 1812 he was paymaster in the army of the Northwest.  Old records show that Samuel Huntington was one of the largest among the original land-owners of Cleveland.  City lots 1 to 6, 61, 75, 76, 78, 80 to 84, 190 to 194, 206, and 210, were in his possession.  About the time that he removed to Painesville he exchanged a portion, if not the whole, of these lots with John Walworth for the present farm property of his sons, Colbert and Julian C.  He came to Painesville in the year 1805, and remained in that place during the few years left of his life.  He was one of the original proprietors of Fairport, and aided in founding that place.  Governor Huntington's interests and acquaintance were at no period confined to the immediate locality in which he dwelt.  He was known and honored throughout the State, traveled about much through the Reserve, always occupied with some project for the advancement of the country's condition, and constantly exerted a strong influence.  Once, while making a journey to Cleveland upon horseback, it is related that he came very near losing his life from the rapacity of a pack of wolves, which attacked him while his horse was foundering through a swamp near what is now the corner of Euclid and Willson avenues.  The horse did his part nobly, and the rider, who had no firearms upon his person, kept the savage animals at safe distance with an umbrella, though they followed him almost to the door of the big double log house south of Superior street, at which he stopped.  It should be borne in mind that Mr. Huntington rose to the dignified and honorable position of governor when only about forty-three years of age.  He was a man capable of filling almost any position ably, and had his career extended over a few years more than it did he would doubtless have attained even a higher place in the service of the State or nation than that of governor.  As it was, he made an impression upon the men of his time that outlasted his life, and exerted an influence that no doubt had a very favorable effect upon Cleveland and Painesville, the places of his residence.  He died June 8, 1817, and his widow Nov. 29, 1818.
     The following additional matter relating to Governor Huntington is taken from vol. xix., book v. of manuscripts in possession of the Western Reserve Historical Society.  These extracts are evidently in Charles Whittlesey's handwriting:
     Samuel Huntington made his first visit to Ohio in 1800.  He traveled over the usual route from Connecticut by way of New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.  Mr. Huntington was the nephew and protégé of Governor Huntington, of Connecticut, whose name he bore.  It is reputed that he had visited France in early life.  Whether this report is true or not, it is known that the early settlers of Ohio spoke of his manners as somewhat Frenchified; others say he was a gentleman of highly polite and polished address, somewhat in contrast with the rough usages of the pioneers of the west.  His journal shows he was a person of active habits.  Soon after his arrival, July 25, 1800, Mr. Huntington continued his journey through the forest along the banks of the Ohio to Marietta, the first settlement in this State.  He here formed the acquaintance of Governor St. Clair and the principal officers of the territory northwest of the river Ohio.  It was his intention to examine the country as far as Cincinnati, but this determination was changed, and he returned to Youngstown.  Mr. Huntington was by profession a lawyer, and was a resident of Norwich, Connecticut, where he married Miss Huntington, a daughter of Andrew Huntington, about 1793.  His associations at the east had been with the Federal party.  After visiting a large number of the towns of the Reserve east of the Cuyahoga, he determined to become a resident.  In the territory of the northwest Republicanism was in the ascendant, and by degrees Mr. Huntington assimilated himself to their ideas . . . .  In person he was neither tall nor short.  In constitution he was inclined to consumption, - a disease which, while it tends to shorten life, gives brilliancy and precocity to the intellect.  Mr. Huntington, by the serenity and approachability of his manners, became popular with the settlers.  By his superiority of education he immediately placed himself among the prominent men of the territory.  Having returned to Connecticut he collected his family and effects, and, in the spring of 1801, set forward to his new home over the Alleghenies.  He was a member of the Connecticut Land Company, and therefore always owned real estate on the Western Reserve.  The lots in Cleveland adjoining Bath street were among his drafts.
     The first week in October, 1800, was spent in examining the city of Cleveland.  He came from David Abbott's mill, at Chagrin Falls (Willoughby), along the ridge-road, and through the settlement in Euclid.
     The day, he says, was pleasant and cool.  He lodged with Lorenzo Carter, and sallying forth the next morning, the elevated plain where the city was laid out was covered with small oaks.  On the west side, which then belonged to the Indians, he found a "long, deep, stagnant pond," which produced fever among those who lived near the river.  The settlement, however, was not large or powerful, there being only three families, all of whom had the fever.  After sailing out of the mouth of the river, in five-feet water, they coasted along the shore a few miles to the west, and returning, proceeded along the Newbury road to the ridge, near Kingsbury's  From there, looking west over the wooded plain, the river, and the lake, they saw a prospect indescribably beautiful.  At Newbury Falls, the mill of Wheeler Williams was found to be nearly completed, and resting there over the Sabbath, October 5, the party made their way among the trail to David Hudson's (T. 4, R. 10).
     Mr. Huntington selected Cleveland, then in Trumbull county, as his future abode.  A house of hewn logs, known in those days as a block-house, was erected in the summer of 1801, and in the fall his family, consisting of three children, was domiciled there.
     He was a member of the Constitutional Convention, 1802; State senator, January, 1803; and speaker, pro tem., March, 1803.
     During the year 1807 he removed to a farm on the bank of Grand river, below Painesville.  Previous to the war Painesville had taken the lead of Cleveland as a future city.  The great State road from the forks of the Muskingum to the lake (laid out in 1804) terminated at Painesville.  Probably on account of the unhealthiness of the place, Judge Huntington decided to leave Cleveland.  He became interested in the mills at Newbury, and for a short time removed his family thither.  Negotiations for an exchange of property with the late John Walworth, Esq., of Painesville, were in progress.  Mr. Walworth had, in 1805, been appointed collector of the district of Erie, and contemplated residing at Cleveland.   In 1807 this exchange was consummated.
     Mr. Huntington built his new mansion at one of the curves of the Grand river, where a long view was had along the shore in a southerly direction, beyond which the conglomerate hills of Geauga County had the aspect of mountains.  He cut a vista through the forest of more than a mile in length in order to get a view of the lake.  Some tamarack-trees procured from a swamp were planted on the lake-front by his own hands, which are still flourishing and beautiful.  The encroachments of the river upon its banks has destroyed the old road that passed between the house and the stream.  In the winter of 1811-12 he was a member of the lower house from the county of Geauga.  The following summer was characterized by the prosecution of the war with England.  Our arms were disgraced and the State of Ohio seriously compromised by the surrender of Hull, at Detroit, in August of that year.
     Governor Huntington took an active part in the defense of the lake country.  The surrender took place on the 16th, and on the 24th he was on his way to Washington city with Colonel Cass, to press upon the department the absolute necessity of vigorous action.  Three regiments of Ohio troops, the hope and sinew of the State were dissipated and rendered useless.  Having labored assiduously with the department and aided in procuring money and supplies, he returned in September, in the capacity of district paymaster, with funds for General Harrison's troops.
     Of his abilities as a lawyer we known but little.  The confidence shown by the Legislature in his professional qualifications was favorable to his talents, he being then only thirty-eight years of age.  He was active almost to restlessness.  In the year 1815, while engaged in work upon the road to Fairport, he had the misfortune to break a leg.  The fracture did not unite well, and the confinement it occasioned greatly impaired his health.  This aggravated the constitutional tendency to pulmonary disease, and finally terminated his life in June, 1817.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 58





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights