OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
GEAUGA COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
1798
History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio
with Illustrations
and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers Most Prominent Men
Philadelphia - Williams Brothers
1878

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1878 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF  BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >


H. K. Smith
HONORABLE HENRY K. SMITH.
     This gentleman was the eldest son and the third child of Marsh Smith, and was born at Parkman, Geauga County, August 10, 1832.  There his childhood and boyhood were passed under the care of his parents, and he received such opportunities for education as the schools of that neighborhood afforded him.  His father and mother were persons of unusual intelligence and refinement, and he grew up in the atmosphere of a home well calculated to develop the finer traits and higher excellences of nature and character.  He became a resident of Chardon at nineteen, and was noted as an intelligent, gentlemanly youth, rather shy, to whom most people at once took a liking and gave him their confidence.   The ensuing two years he spent in his father's office, in acquiring general information, ripening, and preparing himself for a life of usefulness.
     At the age of twenty-one he entered the law-office of Messrs. Riddle & Thrasher, at Chardon, and devoted himself with docile industry to the mastery of the law.  He soon became known to his instructors for his real worth, and gained their confidence and friendship.  After a novitiate of three years, he was admitted to the bar in 1856.  Soon after he received the appointment of deputy sheriff, the duties of which he discharged with care and fidelity.  He also was intrusted with the responsible duties of the treasurer of the county.  In the spring of 1857, on the decease of the then clerk of the court, H. Gotham, Esq., he was appointed his successor.  In the autumn of the same year, he was elected prosecuting attorney of the county by the people.
     Thus in the space of a year or two, he familiarized himself with the duties of several of the most important offices of the county, and entered another of much responsibility.  Here he acquitted himself so well that he was elected to a second term.  Soon after his first election, he formed a law partnership with W. O. Forrest, and in 1861, after the termination of the partnership of Canfield & French, by the death of John French, he entered into partnership with D. W. Canfield, which continued until his election to the office of probate judge, in the fall of 1866.  He has held that ofiice ever since, having been nominated this year for the fourth time, and each time by acclamation.  While in company with D. W. Canfield he was twice elected justice of the peace of Chardon.  Feb. 22, 1854, he was married to Miss Harmony Stocking, daughter of D. W. Stocking.  They have had three children, one dying in infancy.  The eldest, Stewart S., aged twenty-one, is book-keeper of the Geauga Savings and Loan Association.  The youngest, Halbert Dennis, is twelve years old.
     Judge Smith was among the most active and efficient in rebuilding Chardon.  He has largely invested in real estate and its improvement, and the block in which is the opera-house is mainly owing to the enterprise of himself and brother Theron.  The sterling integrity of the Smiths, father and son, doubtless has been the leading cause of their great personal popularity in Geauga County.  Perhaps no man has ever exercised a wider influence in it than Judge Smith, who is happily formed to win and retain the esteem of all classes, and no man was ever more utterly devoid of the arts by which the mere demagogue seeks to make his way.
    The confidence which he enjoys is the deserved tribute of worth and excellence.  Mrs. Smith, by her fine womanly qualities, contributes much to strengthen the position of her husband, and their home is one of the pleasantest in Chardon.
     Of the brothers and sisters of Judge Smith, it may be mentioned that Mrs. Peter Bates resides in Iowa; Mrs. J. G. Durfee, in Troy, Geauga County; Mrs. John Brooks, in Chardon; his brother Theron, in Chardon; as also Newell R., and his father, Marsh Smith, mentioned elsewhere.
     Theron is a man of much intelligence, and shares Judge Smith‘s spirit of enterprise, and like the rest of the family, is much esteemed.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 96
  MARSH SMITH,
son of Seth and Polly Smith, was born in Manchester, Vermont, Aug. 18, 1799.  His mother’s maiden name was Marsh, the family to which Hon. George P. Marsh belongs, and his great-grandfather, who represented an old English family of wealth and cultivation, came to America about 1760 (which was soon after his marriage to a Welsh lady by the name of Newell), and settled in the colony of Connecticut.
     Marsh Smith was one of ~ eight children, seven boys and one girl,- only two of whom are still living, viz., Sandford Smith, of Parkman, and Franklin Smith, of Nelson, Portage county.  When a boy Marsh Smith removed with his parents to Georgetown, Madison county, New York, and thence preceded them a year to Ohio, in 1818, settling in the woods of Parkman.  He cleared off a farm, worked at farming and carpentering, and Oct. 28, 1823, was married to Miss Eliza Colton, of Nelson, a descendant of the Connecticut Coltons, - a family known for their thrift, intellect, and puritanic virtues.
     Marsh Smith held various positions of honor and trust in the township of Parkman.  For twenty years he was justice of the peace, which office he resigned to take that of county auditor, to which he was elected in 1850, and which he held six years, removing to Chardon in the mean time.  He was afterwards county commissioner for one term, and in 1860 was assessor of real estate.  Of late years he has resided mostly with his children.
     Mr. Smith is a man of superior understanding, widely known, and few men have in a higher degree enjoyed the confidence and esteem of their fellow-citizens.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 102
  HON. VENE STONE.
     This gentleman would have been a leading man anywhere, in the class of life in which he was willing to remain.
     He came from Ghoram, New York, in 1802, and, though he purchased property in the northeast corner of Newbury, he built his house, and lived in Burton as late as 1820.  His then new and framed house was built in Newbury, where his son, Franklin, still resides.  His first wife was Charity Hopson sister of Samuel Hopson, of the Western Reserve pioneers.  The marriage was in 1803 or 1804.  They became the parents of two daughters:  Emert the wife of Luison T. Patchin, now deceased, and Carolina, wife of Samuel JamesCharity died early, and he married Alice Williams, sister of the late Calvin Williams, of  Burton.  Of this marriage, Minerva became the wife of Hiram Fowler, and lives in Munson; Franklin married Fanny Bunnett, and lives on the homestead; Eliza became Mrs. Davis Woodward, and lives in Munson, surviving her husband; Mary the youngest, died in infancy.
     Vene Stone died at an advanced age, Mar. 7, 1871.  His second wife preceded him in August, 1869.  He commanded the company of Burton soldiers ordered to Cleveland on the surrender of Hull at Detroit, and afterwards filled all the township offices; was elected once or twice to represent his county in the General Assembly of the State, and also was an associate judge of the court of common pleas.  All these positions he filled with credit; was a man of fine person dignified manners very superior understanding with reading and sterling integrity.  Few men of his day enjoyed higher consideration.  He was one of that rare older type which seems to have become nearly extinct.
     I can now recall no better living. specimen of this class than Colonel H. H. Ford, of Burton, - a type of men, whom. everybody instinctively trusts, of whom nobody asks questions, in whose lives no suspicious circumstances ever could arise, and who never had to explain anything.
     A portrait of Mr. Stone will be found grouped with other old settlers in an other portion of this work.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 102
  SAMUEL SQUIRE was born Oct. 16, 1799.  His wife, Sophia A. Hurd, was born six months earlier, Apr. 29 of the same year, and they were married at Woodbury, Connecticut, in February, 1823.  They moved to Chardon in the same year, Mrs. Squire going first to Carlisle, Lorain county, Ohio, with her parents, and making the entire journey from Connecticut with ox-teams.  Mr. Squire stopped at Painesville and plied his trade, which was that of a tanner, and while there he determined to settle in Chardon.  He purchased land east of the square, and commenced the tanning business, which he carried on until 1834.  From that time until 1840 he carried on his business successfully, and finally adopted merchandise.
     In 1840 and ’41 he was county treasurer. June 9, 1848, his wife died.  In 1850 his son, Samuel, Jr., became his partner in trade; and he died Nov. 9, 1854.
     Mr. Squire was a man of pleasant personal address, much intelligence, and sagacity.
     Of the several sons, Samuel, the eldest, a man of much shrewdness and intelligence, succeeded his father in business, which he successfully prosecuted in Chardon for several years, when he removed to Oberlin, where he now resides.  His wife, a sister of Mrs. Joel F. Asper, is a lady highly esteemed.  None of the sons now reside in Geauga County.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 126

.



 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GEAUGA COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE


FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights