A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to


History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio
with Illustrations
and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers Most Prominent Men
Philadelphia - Williams Brothers

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z


  Chardon -
EDWARD PAINE, a son of General Edward Paine, and, with his father, a pioneer of Painesville, was known through the long life of his father as Edward Paine, junior.  He was a native of New England, and was born at one of the seats of the Paines, so many of whom with their descendants became settlers of the old county of Geauga, where they were for many years a powerful, almost a controlling element, the influence of which, though latent, still doubtless remains.  Edward, Jr., was also known as Captain Paine.
He married Mary Phelps, daughter of Judge Seth Phelps, and thus in a way cemented the older alliance of the Paines and Phelpses.  His daughter became the wife of a son of Governor Huntington.  These unions indicate the social position of the Paines in the early history of northern Ohio.  As is seen by the history of Chardon, he was one of the three real pioneers of that township, where he took up his residence in 1812, and where he continued to reside until his death.
     He was then clerk of the county, which office he held until 1828.  He was also auditor and recorder of the county, and the first postmaster of Chardon, which offices he filled for many years.
     He was in early manhood when he went to Chardon, and though carrying with him the manners and polish of the older eastern school, he at once lent himself with great energy to the demands of pioneer life, with which he was already familiar.  He was one of the first on the Reserve, was at Cleveland in 1798, and became a resident of Painesville in 1802. In person of medium size, well made, lit-he; of active habits, and capable of great endurance.  He was adventurous, and having a relish for out-door exercise, he became an accomplished woods man and a skillful hunter. In his hunting excursions he wore the Indian moccasin.  His mastery of the craft won for him the reputation of luck, and many anecdotes used to be told of his success in slaying bears, deer, and wolves.  At the time of his settlement at Chardon the beaver-dam and meadow near the village were inhabited by its ingenious and interesting builders, and Captain Paine became a curious and friendly neighbor and student of their life, manners, and customs.
     He was among the most energetic of the younger citizens during the darkness of the early days of the war of 1812, and went at once to the most exposed points at the front.  His father was then general of brigade, and he was active in duty on his staff.  Captain Paine was a man of great quickness and sparkle of mind.  He received a good English education; was a man of much general  information, approachable, and mingled with all the leading men of his time.  Though he held many of the minor offices he was unambitious of high place, nor did he seem ever to care to place his rather brilliant mind to any great use.  He excelled as a conversationalist when the art existed as such, and was worthy of cultivation by men of parts.  Mr. Paine was one of the happiest sayers of smart, sparkling things, in which he excelled most of the men of his time; was rather emulous of the reputation of being the producer of conversational pyrotechnics. An ardent partisan, by his warmth of temperament he usually over whelmed his opponent with squibs and crackers, or sent him skyward on a rocket, or confused and bewildered him with a profusion of fire-works.
     In politics a Whig, and not over tolerant was he of any form of Democracy; nor had he for Democrats much of that amiable weakness sometimes called charity. The persons of his political opponents usually came in for the sarcasm and contempt which others might have reserved for their political doctrines only. 
     So in religion.  A confessed disbeliever in Divine revelation, the constitution of his mind made him an intolerant opponent of orthodoxy; and his brother-in-law, E. F. Phelps, used to say of him that he was the most bigoted liberal he ever knew.  Could he look upon Chardon now and see an orthodox church newly planted on his lawn, and his mansion-house turned to a parsonage, it might provoke a tempest of pyrotechnics.
     These, however, were a small part of the real man. He was warm-hearted, true, noble, and generous, and such he proved himself through a long life.  His bitterness was superficial, had no place in his nature. It was rather the conversational habit of one who spoke in epigrams, and the seeming acerbity was but to add edge and point. I doubt whether he ever had a real enemy.
     So abounding was his kindness, so open and broad his practical charity, so transparent his real nature, and so widely his true character appreciated, that Democrat and minister alike would approach him as a man, with the certainty that his utmost service would be freely rendered to the needy, the afflicted, or the sufferer by any form of ‘misfortune.  A practical Christian who questioned the authority of the law which was the rule of his life.  His opportunities in the world were large, his talents much above the average, and of the character and quality which attract and win.  One cannot but feel that while his life was just and charitable, his conduct regulated by strict truth, high honor, and the purest integrity, he might easily have labored in a field of much wider usefulness, and filled places where he could have more largely contributed to the general welfare.  It was his misfortune to have early been the centre of an admiring circle of friends, instead of being launched upon the world in a way to have called into action his fine endowments and considerable acquirements in such a manner as to have developed the latent and more manly qualities of ambition, when he certainly would have gone to the lead of affairs in a great State, instead of being the witty sayer of smart things in a small country village.
     Still, the life was useful, its early strength given to the planting of men in new situations, and it was for him to choose his career and mark the lines beyond
which he would not go.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 121

H. E. Paine

Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 77

Hon. Robert Breck Parkman

Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 86

  SAMUEL PARKMAN, the eldest son of Robert B. Parkman, was born at Aurora, Cayuga county, New York, Feb. 26, 1804.  He was an infant three months old when his father
first settled in Parkman, and was therefore the first white child ever in the town, - a pioneer of pioneers.  He grew up in the forest, and was inured to its labors as well as a partaker of its pleasures.  His education had been begun at the schools which were early established in the town, and continued by the diligent and thorough perusal of such books as his father’s small but select library afforded, and the instruction of parents who lost no opportunity in filling the minds of their children with useful knowledge.  While yet quite young he laid the foundation of a library for himself; and the list of books—Tacitus, Montesquieu’s “Spirit of Laws," Smith's “Wealth of Nations," Junius, Massillon's “ Sermons," Goldsmith’s and Montgomery's poems-shows a taste for reading rare in the mind of one hardly past boyhood.
     Before he was sixteen he had learned surveying with very little instruction, by evening study at home,—and soon after he accompanied Mr. Otis Sprague, as his assistant, in making the first survey of Medina county; camping in the woods, and sharing fully in the discomforts of the expedition.
     Having attained his majority, and having chosen surveying as a profession, in November, 1825, he left home for the purpose of establishing himself in that business.  His first destination was Steubenville, and from thence, in the same month, he made a journey to Washington on foot, in the hope of obtaining a government contract for surveying.  Failing in this, he returned to Steubenville, again on foot, having made thus a pedestrian journey of five hundred and forty miles.
     He at once proceeded by way of the Ohio river to Shawneetown, and from thence he made another journey of seventy miles, on foot, to St. Louis, where he remained some months.
     In August, 1826, he went on a surveying tour three hundred miles up the Missouri river, to Fort Osage, at which place he was prostrated by fever, and was for some weeks dangerously ill, and destitute of even the commonest comforts of civilized life, and from which he did not recover sufficient strength to travel till the spring of 1827, when he returned to Fayette county, Missouri.  Here he remained two years, engaged in farming, and at the same time held the office of postmaster at Pettisaw Bluffs, on the Missouri river, two hundred and fifty miles above St. Louis.
     Having fully regained his health, in the summer of 1829 he joined the fur company of Smith, Subletz, Jackson & Co. in an expedition to the Rocky mountains.  This company was a competitor in the fur trade with the Hudson Bay Company, and in this expedition they penetrated to the sources of the Lewis and Clarke rivers.
     The expedition was pecuniarily a successful one, and the members of it gained an experience full of pleasure and interest, as well as a large share of hardship and exposure to danger.  In his letters home describing this journey, Mr. Parkman says, “I have ascended heights never before trodden by the foot of the white man; I have traveled twelve hundred miles through the Indian country, forded many large rivers, and ascended many high mountains whose tops were covered with perpetual snow.  I have during the summer felt the extremes of heat and cold, of hunger and thirst, having been at one time five days without food."
     (This occurred as they reached the borders of Missouri on their return, and the long fast was broken by a meal prepared by the wife of a son of Daniel Boone.)
     In a letter to one of his brothers, who was himself an expert hunter, he mentions having killed sixty-five buffaloes, and relates that at one time having gone on in advance of his companions, on ascending a high bluff he was suddenly confronted by a herd of many thousands.  In such a dilemma retreat was "the better part of valor."
     This long journey was performed on horseback, but the return was made on foot, as the horses were all required to bring in the furs which were the rich results of their months of toil.
     On this return on the 4th of July, 1830, the party reached a high point well known to all who have crossed the plains ,which in honor of the day they named Independence Rock.  In the autumn of this year they reached St. Louis, where Mr. Parkman remained during the winter, busied in arranging the notes and preparing maps of the route over which they had passed.  At the same time he employed his leisure in gaining a knowledge of the Spanish language, having in contemplation a visit to New Mexico, which he accomplished in the spring of 1831, at which time, having formed a partnership with Peter Smith, the leader of the Rocky Mountain expedition, with the intention of carrying on a trade with New Mexico, the journey was commenced.
     The caravan consisted of seventy-three men, with twenty-five wagons, and camp equipage.  Their route, the old Santa Fé road, led through the Great American Desert, in crossing which they traveled three days without a drop of water, and without seeing any trace of vegetation; at the same time encountering a wind from the sand-plains of the south, which. he describes as being “as parching as a Sirocco.”  Here the senior partner, Mr. Smith, having left the caravan in search of water, which was to them in their suffering state the most desirable object on earth, was attacked and killed by the Camanches.
     After this disaster the whole charge of the expedition fell to Mr. Parkman, and under his guidance they reached Santa Fé on the 4th of July, 1831.  Here he remained a year, with the exception of the time consumed in making a journey across the country to Upper California.
     In the autumn of 1832 he visited the city of Chihuahua (Mexico) on business, and found himself on his arrival in the midst of a revolution, headed by Santa Anna, which proved both disastrous to his enterprise, and was not without personal danger.  By good fortune he escaped, and in 1833 he reached the city of Mexico.  Here he made the acquaintance of a party of English gentlemen, who were owners of silver mines, who proffered him the post of superintendent of a silver mine in the city of Guanajuato, which he accepted, and which ultimately led to his appointment as superintendent of the silver mines of the State, which, with the addition of the buying and assaying of silver ore, was his employment for the remainder of his life.
     Here his wanderings ceased and his domestic life began.  In 1835 he married Antonia de la Vega, a Mexican lady of Spanish descent, who survives him.  He never returned to Ohio; his purpose to do so was delayed from year to year till the death of nearly all the members of his father’s family would have made the return a sorrowful one.
     His only visit to the United States was made in 1862, at which time he made a journey to California, where his step-sister, Mrs. Alonzo Delano, resided.  At that time no railroad across the continent annihilated the distance, and he returned by the Pacific ocean to Mexico.  When he first went to Guanajuato there was in the city but one American except himself, but some years before his death a good number had made it their place of residence, to all of whom he was well known.  His intelligence, probity, generosity, and hospitality gave him a high place in their regard, and many a friendless countryman has been placed by him on the road to independence, while others have been taken to his home in sickness, and either nursed back to health or soothed in their last‘ moments by words of friendly sympathy.
     In the midst of an active life he still kept the love of literature which his early years foreshadowed; and although for more than forty years he lived in the midst of a foreign population, and spoke a foreign language, his love for his native land never waned, and his delight in the productions of her authors never decreased.
     His decease took place at Guanajuato, May 2, 1873.  His memory is revered in his family as that of a tender husband and a careful and loving father.  He had a family of twelve children, of whom seven, three sons and four daughters, survive him.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 159 - Parkman Twp.

Wm. L. Perkins

Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 62

S. L. Phelps

Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 73

  Chardon Twp. -
DR. POMEROYDr. Orange Pomeroy, son of Horace Pomeroy, and grandson of the first pioneer of Huntsburg, was born in Huntsburg, Dec. 7, 1835, and educated at the Western Seminary.  He commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Steer, then of Huntsburg, now of Burton.  In the spring of 1857 he attended medical lectures at the college of medicine and surgery, at Cincinnati, from which he graduated Mar. 1, 1860.  He located at Fowler's Mills, in Munson, and the following May was appointed assistant surgeon in the One Hundred and Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which his business would not permit him to accept.  In 1863 he was appointed to the Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; joined his regiment at New Orleans, of which he had the entire medical charge.  Under the heavy pressure of work and the unhealthful climate of the coast, his health broke down, compelling him to resign.  He returned to Fowler's Mills, and resumed his practice as soon as he was able.  In June, 1867, he moved to Chardon, and, wishing to advance himself in his ever-advancing profession, he went to New York to attend a course of lectures at Bellevue Hospital, where he graduated, after which he returned to Chardon and established himself.  He may be considered one of the most successful physicians, as well as one of the most enterprising citizens.
Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 124

Gen. Joseph Adams Potter

Source: History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio - Publ. Philadelphia, Williams Brothers - 1878 - Pg. 81





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights