OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Jackson County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio
Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co.
1884

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
J. W. LAIRD, attorney at law, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, Feb. 20, 1822, a son of John and Phoebe (Ford) Laird, the former a native of Pennsylvania, of Scotch descent, and the latter of Virginia, of English descent.  HE was reared in Chillicothe, and there received his early education.  When eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine under Dr. L. W. Foulke, of Chillicothe, and attended lectures at Louisville, Ky.  After a practice of three years - one in Indiana and two in Jackson, where he located in 1844 - he, in 1846, began the publication of the Jackson Standard.  In 1855 he opened a private banking house.  In 1859, having for a number of years been reading law, he was admitted to the bar and has since been practicing in Jackson.  Politically Mr. Laird is a Republican.  He has served several terms as Mayor of Jackson.  In 1850 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Constitutional Convention in the interest of the Whig party.  He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1845, and has taken all the degrees up to Knight Templar, including the order of High Priesthood.  Mr. Laird was married in 1843 to Mary Marshall, a native of England, born July 16, 1824.  Of their ten children but seven are living.  Mr. and Mrs. Lairdare memers of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 563
J. W. LAIRD, JR. was born in Jackson County, Ohio, a son J. W. Laird.  His boyhood days were spent in school, and after attaining his majority he taught school several terms, but owing to ill-health he abandoned teaching, and in 1880 began the manufacture of brick.  He is also engaged in contracting, and uses all the brick of his own manufacture and the most of that manufactured by two other parties.  He was the first brick burner to furnish what the town demanded.  Among the leading contracts taken and completed by him are the Catholic parsonage, the new school building (cost, $7,000), Jones's Music Hall, Lutheran church, many fine residences on Pearl street, the Masonic Hall at Portland, the residence of J. W. Laird, and the brick work on the present jail.  Mr. Laird is one of the energetic young men of Jackson, and is second to no contractor in the county.  He was married to Sallie Reed.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 564
JOHN A. LLOYD, merchant tailor, was born May 3, 1839, in South Wales, a son of John and Mary Lloyd, who were married in Wales about 1828.  They emigrated to America in 1840, settling in Madison Township, Jackson County, where the father died July 6, 1841.  They had six children, three of whom are deceased.  John A. was reared in Madison Township, where he attended the district schools eight terms, the school being held only three months of the year.  Oct. 19, 185_ he commenced learning the tailor's trade with David L. Evans, of Oak Hill, Ohio, and in 1865 engaged in merchant tailoring and general merchandising at Centerville, Gallia Co., Ohio.  All his property was destroyed by fire Mar. 17, 1873.  He moved to Jackson, Nov. 1873.  He was married Nov. 14, 1867, at Centerville, Ohio, to Elizabeth Thomas.  They have two children - Homer Alfred and Mary Cora.  Mr. Lloyd was Postmaster at Thurman (Centerville) from 1867 till 1873; was Mayor of Centerville eight consecutive years, and served as Township Treasurer two years.  He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 564
J. A. LONG, manager of the Eureka Coal Mine, was born Feb. 24, 1847.  His grandfather, Elias Long, was a native of Virginia, but in 1816, with his wife and children, settled in Jackson, Ohio, where he died.  Andrew, the eldest of his children, was born in Virginia in 1810, and the greater part of his life was a farmer.  e married Eliza, daughter of Hon. John James, of Jackson County.  She was born in 1810 and died in 1874.  Mr. Long died in 1869.  J. A. was the youngest of their four children.  Although reared on a farm he received a liberal education.  In the spring of 1868 he was appointed Deputy Auditory.  In 1869 he was appointed Treasurer of Jackson County.  Dec. 10, 1873, he bought the dry goods house of C. S. Dickinson & Co.  He subsequently was at the Franklin Mills two years when he opened the Eureka Mine.  He is a stockholder and director of the Iron Bank, Jackson.  Politically he is a Republican; in religious faith a Methodist.  Oct. 10, 1870, he married Ella Dascomb, of Chillicothe, Ohio.  They have four children.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 576
JOHN L. LONG, merchant, is a son of Elias, a grandson of Elias Long, the latter a native of Pennsylvania and of German extraction.  He was a patriot in the Revolutionary war and subsequently located in Philadelphia, where he followed butchering, and finally settled in Frederick County, Va., where after several years hotel-keeping he died.  Of his children, Elias, Jr. was the third, and was born in Philadelphia in the year the Declaration of Independence was declared (1776).  He matured mostly in his native city but when verging on manhood he went to Frederick County, Va., and there married Barbara Correll, a native of Rockingham County, Va., but of German extraction.  During the first decade of the present century they moved to Ohio and settled near Chillicothe, where they remained until 1818, in which year they settled in the town of Jackson, Ohio.  When coming to Jackson the town was embriotic, the country surrounding it in the wilds of nature, and the population very much in a minority with the wild denizens that roamed the dense unbroken forest.  Here he opened a small store, one among the first in town, and thus continued until his death, which occurred in 1860, from an attack of Asiatic cholera.  He had been apprenticed to the hatter's trade, when a boy and followed that pursuit until coming to Jackson.  He was of elastic step and activity, having lived to the age of eighty-four years, and accomplished a great deal of good through life.  In politics he was an old line Whig, but not of an aspiring disposition.  He was contented with the quiet routine of business life, in which his honor and integrity were unquestioned, and he died an esteemed citizen of Jackson.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which he zealously adhered for many years.  He also was an ardent member of the Masonic fraternity, possessed with liberality, charity and benevolence.  At the time of his death he had been a widower several years.  He and wife had six children of whom John L., the third, was born in Jackson, Ohio, in 1825, and has been a life-long resident of his native town.  His youthful days were spent in his father's store together with sufficient time in school to acquire a good education.  On nearing maturity he saw that in all business life a knowledge of law would not only be beneficial, but at the same time gratifying to possess, hence he devoted two years of his life to reading in that profession, not with the expectation of practicing.  In 1852 he married Cornelia V. Hoffman, of Jackson, and soon after engaged in the mercantile pursuit, which he continued until the opening of the late Rebellion, at which time he bought his present farm, west of town, and settled his family on it.  He took an active part in recruiting companies but never    entered active service.  He resides on his farm, cultivating it himself until 1880, when he abandoned the farm duties, only superintending the tenants.  In 1880 he opened his present general retail store, corner of Main and Portsmouth streets, Jackson.  In politics he is a Democrat though not an aspirant for office.  He is also a member of the Masonic order in good standing.  He and wife have had six children, five of whom are still living and are well educated, which was one of the leading objects of the subject of this sketch.  Mrs. Long is an ardent worker in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 564
JAMES W. LONGBON - There is a popular tradition entitled to some credence that one of his paternal ancestors came over from Normandy to England with William the Conqueror and fought at the battle of Hastings.  This tradition is supported byt he ancient orthography of the name Longbonne as found in old family records, which is evidently of Norman origin and which has been curtailed from time to time to its present form.  Moreover, William and Norman have always been favorite names in the family, and seem to have been perpetuated from generation to generation.  Concerning the ability, rank, prowess, achievements or personal appearance of their ancestor, we have no reliable testimony.  Probably he was large, tall and dark, as a Norman warrior should be, clad in a coat of mail with helmet and visor, armed with a lance and cross bow, and reflecting the typical crusader, who went out to do battle for the cross and the sepulcher in the Holy Land.  Let us presume that he "drew a good bow at Hastings," and leave him there in his glory.  The subject of this sketch was born in Yorkshire, England, May 26, 1824, and came to Lorain County, Ohio, in 1829.  Attended district school at Grafton, Ohio.  Pursued academical studies for several years at Elyria, Ohio, and prepared for admission to the junior class in college.  Taught a common school in the counties of Medina, Cuyahoga, Holmes and Lorain.  Came to Jackson, Ohio, in 1847, and engaged in teaching.  Married in 1849.  Taught in the public schools at Piketon, Ohio, in 1851 and 1852, and returned to Jackson in 1853.  Studied law with Hon. Levi Dungan and was admitted to practice in 1854.  Superintended the Jackson public schools and practiced law until 1862, when he was appointed Adjutant of the Ninety-first Regiment, Ohio Infantry Volunteers, and served nearly two years until discharged for physical disability.  Appointed Commissioner for the Board of Enrollment for the Eleventh District of Ohio in 1864, and Provost-Marshal of the same district in 1865.  Probate Judge of Jackson County from 1867 to 1870.  Received the honorary degree of A. M. from the Ohio University in 1874.  Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue from 1875 to 1878.  Superintendent of Jackson from 1875 to 1878.  Superintendent of Jackson public schools from 1877 to 1880.  Has held the office of Master Commissioner of Jackson Common Pleas continuously since 1857, and the office of County School Examiner since 1852.  In the discharge of the duties of the respective positions he has been called to fill he has displayed abilities of a high order.  Endowed with great energy and perseverance, every duty is fully performed.  His habits of mind will leave him satisfied with nothing less than the entire accomplishment, even to the minutest detail, of every task undertaken.  While busily engaged in the active duties of life he has nevertheless devoted himself assiduously to the acquisition of knowledge, and his investigations have led him into many different fields of inquiry.  His sphere of knowledge embraces literature, science, philosophy, professional studies and all the leading topics of the day.  His knowledge is not superficial but accurate, thorough and profound.  He is a ripe scholar.  While his perceptive faculties may not be so quick, nor his processes of thought so rapid as many other men, yet his views are clear, profound and comprehensive.  He has great ability as a writer in poetry as well as in prose.  In his character as a citizen he is without reproach.  He has positive opinions upon most political and social questions, and in his expression of them he is fearless and outspoken.  In all his views he is entirely upright and conscientious.  He has been a member of the Methodist church from infancy, and in all the relations of life his conduct has been in entire accord with his professions, than which there can be no higher praise.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 565

NOTES:

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
JACKSON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights