A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Pickaway County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


History of Pickaway County
Source:  History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880


       * GAME
       * SETTLEMENT - Includes lots of short biogrphies
       * MILLS
       * POST OFFICE


     Town number eleven, in range number twenty (Salt Creek), lies east of the township of Pickaway, and is bounded on the north by Fairfield county, on the east by Hocking county, and on the south by Ross County.  It is one of the best improved townships in Pickaway county, and its appearance evinces the industry, thrift and increasing wealth of the inhabitants.


     The surface of the township is generally quite rolling, and presents a picturesque appearance.  In the eastern part it is somewhat broken and hilly, while in the southern, while there is more or less prairie, the surface is comparatively level.
     The soil is fertile and is well adapted to the growth of wheat, corn, oats, clover and grass.  Along Salt creek, and in the prairie portions of the township, are excellent corn lands, while the higher soil, which is underlaid with clay and slate, is more adapted to the growth of the small grains and grass.
    The principal native varieties of timber were the oak, of several kinds, hickory, walnut, mulberry, cherry, buckeye, paw-paw and elm.  In this connection we may mention that on the farm of John F. Mowery in front of his house, is an elm, which, for size and beauty, is not to be surpassed by any other tree in the county.  The trunk measures above the swell of the roots, sixteen feet in circumference, and the branches, form one side to the other, one hundred and twenty-five feet.
     In the extreme northeast corner of section twenty-one, on the farm of John Karschner, is a stately elm which marks almost the exact center of hate township, and which Mr. Lutz, says he has often used as a starting point in his surveying operations.  It was but a mere sapling when he first saw it.
     The principal stream is Salt creek, which runs through, and gives name to, the township.  It rises in Fairfield county, enters the township.  It rises in Fairfield county, enters the township in section three, and, flowing southeasterly, leaves the township in the southeast corner, gathering up several tributaries in its course, the largest of which is Laurel creek, which is mostly in Hocking county.  Moccason creek heads in Fairfield county, flows south near the east line of the township until reaching section twenty-four, where it runs into Hocking county, and finally empties into the Laurel.  Plum run and Pike Hale run are the most important western branches of Salt creek, and have a southeasterly course.  Scippo creek, a branch of the Scioto river, flows through the west part of section six and a part of seven, in the northwest part of the township.


     Deer, wild turkeys and smaller game were very numerous in the early settlement of the township.  The killing of a deer was an ordinary occurrence with any man who could handle a gun at all; and as for turkeys, several of them would often be bagged by a single shot.  Wolves were plenty, troublesome and annoying, killing the sheep of the pioneers who ere fortunate enough to have any, and rendering night hideous with their almost constant howls around their lonely dwellings.  The township was not much inhabited by bear, although they frequently came in from the hills east of it, and several were killed by the hunters of Salt Creek.  The last year killed in Pickaway county was discovered by William Drum and George Morgan, on the farm of Drum's father, and followed by them into Washington township.  Pursued closely by men and dogs, and animal ran up a white-oak tree, on the farm now owned by George W. Stout.  Among those who joined in the chase were Jonathan Dreisbach and John Reichelderfer, who had their guns with them, and who were both pretty good shots.  Both were ambitious of the honor of killing the animal, and, in order to gratify them, it was decided by Drum and Morgan, masters of ceremonies, to let them shoot simultaneously.  The bear was killed instantly.  He lodged in the fork of the tree, which had to be cut down in order to get him.  The animal was a very large specimen, and his hide was sold for the sum of eighteen dollars.  This was in June, 1840.


     Prior to the actual settlement of the township, most of the sections along Salt creek were occupied by "squatters," who began to come in about the year 1797 or 1798.  Some of them had made extensive clearings, and a few, after the land came into market, purchased farms and settled upon them.  One of these was Alexander BERRY, who bought one hundred and twenty-seven acres in section number twenty.  Afterwards he entered the southwest quarter of section fifteen, where he remained until 1820, when he sold to Jacob MARKEL and removed to Marion county.
     Another squatter was JOHN MAY, who lived on land in section twenty-six.
     CONRAD KLINE was one of the earliest squatters, first locating on Plum run.  He afterward entered a quarter secton on Moccason creek, in section one, and lived there until his death.  He was a soldier of the Revolution.
     MATTHIAS HEDGES moved in at a very early date, probably before 1800.  He located in section twenty-five, where he lived until 1803, moving then to Fairfield county, where he died.
     An early squatter on the place now owned by SAMUEL STROUS was HENRY REICHELDERFER, at the advanced age of ninety-nine years and nine months.
     CHRISTOPHER (or CHRISTIAN) MYERS and family moved in from Pennsylvania as early as 1800.  His log cabin stood on the brow of the hill just west of  MR. BALLARD's residence, in Tarlton, and was the first building in that portion of the township.  MYERS subsequently moved about a mile southwest of Tarlton, where he resided until his death.
     JACOB SAYLOR, sr., abut the same time, settled on Scippo creek, in section six, and George PONTIOUS, a son-in-law of MYERS, on section four, a mile west of the present village of Tarlton.  He was twice married and had three children.
     The first man who entered land in Salt Creek township was JOHN SHOEMAKER.  He came from Berks county, Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1801, and at the sale of government land in May, of that year, made an entry of land, after which he returned to Pennsylvania.  The first patent was issued to him.  The old document is now in the possession of Samuel LUTZ, who owns a part of the land for which the patent was given.  It bears date April 20, 1802, and is signed by Thomas JEFFERSON, president of the United States, and James MADISON, secretary of State.  SHOEMAKER subsequently entered a large amount of land in Pickaway and Fairfield counties.  He did not visit Ohio again, after his return to Pennsylvania, until 1806, when he moved out with his family.
     The brothers, JACOB and JOHN LUTZ, with their families and their mother, Elizabeth, came from Northumberland (now Union) county, Pennsylvania, in 1802.  They made the journey in two canvas-covered wagons, each drawn by a four horse team, and arrived in Salt Creek on the fifteenth day of October.  Jacob LUTZ purchased of John SHOEMAKER, in section twenty-six, four hundred and sixteen acres, paying therefor six dollars per acre.  From sixty to seventy acres had been cleared in different portions of the purchase, and there were upon it two cabins, occupied by the squatters, BERRY and MAYMr. LUTZ and family took possession of the BERRY cabin, where they spent the following winter.  Subsequently he located on the site of the present residence of John KARSCHNER, a building a one and a half story hewed-log house.  In 1811 he erected, in the same place, a frame house, which he occupied until his death, in 1824.
     JACOB LUTZ, was born in 1762, and married Elizabeth DEMUTH in 1788, who survived him many years.  They had five sons - Samuel, Jacob D., John D., Joseph, and Peter - all now dead but Samuel, who, at the age of nearly ninety-one years, is as clear-headed and almost as smart, physically, as ever.  The son Joseph was drowned in Salt creek, about the first of March, 1805, falling into the stream while crossing on a log on his return from school, just above the present cattle bridge, near Mr. DUNKEL's.  His brothers, Jacob, and John, were present, but were unable to render any assistance, the water being so turbulent.
     JOHN LUTZ settled on Moccason creek, in section thirteen, moving into a cabin which had been previously occupied by Stephen JULIAN.  He afterwards built a large frame dwelling on the same site, and also a large frame barn, but nothing of them now remains.  He erected here, in 1804, the first saw-mill in the township.  His death took place in 1833.
     In 1803 ABRAHAM MONETT came in and entered section number thirty-four, on which he resided until his death.
     WILLIAM STUMPF came from Berks county, Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1801, and entered section number twenty-four.  He returned to Pennsylvania, and remained until 1803, when he came out and made a settlement.  He married Elizabeth REICHELDERFER, in 1819, and located in the northwest part of section twenty-five, a portion of which he purchased of George DUNKEL.  He was largely engaged in the business of buying and selling cattle; driving stock cattle over the mountains.  Several of his children now reside in the township.  The family of his son, Charles, occupies the old homestead.
     In the summer of 1803, GEORGE DUNKEL and wife arrived from Berks county, Pennsylvania, and settled on section twenty-five, near the Hocking county line.  In 1806, he sold a part of the section to William STUMPF, He and STUMPF afterwards built a saw-mill on Salt creek, a few rods above the bridge near Adelphi and DUNKEL moved there.  He afterwards resided in Laurelville, and operated the ills there, which had been erected by Jacob STROUS and Adam DEFENBAUGH, but finally returned to Salt creek, and occupied, until his death, the farm now occupied by his son, John.  He was the father of ten children, six of whom are living.  Kelson lives near Kingston, Ross county; Mary, wife of Solomon RIEGEL, of this township; Hannah, widow of J. SCHLOTMAN, also of this township; John on the homestead; Susan, wife of John HORN, in Findlay, Ohio, and Abigail, wife of Conrad ETT, in Walnut township.  The son, George DUNKEL, deceased, was for many years one of the enterprising and prominent men of the township.
     JACOB SHOEMAKER, in 1803, settled on section eighteen, the whole of which he owned.  After the death of his first wife, he again married, and, subsequently, moved to Circleville.  He was associate judge of Pickaway county for a number of years.  The old homestead was the permanent residence of his son, Charles SHOEMAKER, who died in 1878.
     CONRAD BRAUCHER entered section thirty-five, and settled upon it in 1895.  He built a grist-mill in the west part of the section, the necessary power for which he obtained by digging a ditch from Bull run to Pike Hole run.  BRANCHER died in 1822, and left, at his death, a large family surviving him.
     CHRISTOPHER HOLDERMAN, came from Chester county, Pennsylvania, with his family of wife and three daughters, in June, 1805.  He bought and settled upon a farm of two hundred and four acres, in the north part, section thirty-four, called the "MONNETT section."  In 1823, he moved to the place now occupied by his son, George HOLDERMAN.  He died, Feb. 22, 1838, aged nearly sixty-four, and his wife in 1856, aged seventy-six.  They raised fourteen   children - seven boys and seven girls - and eight are now living.  George HOLDERMAN, who occupies the homestead,, was born Dec. 20, 1812, and married Mary JONES, and was born Jan. 25, 1817.  Mr. and Mrs. HOLDERMAN have five children living and one deceased.
     JOHN SHOEMAKER, previously mentioned, after his return to Berks county, married Elizabeth HUY, from near Reading, Pennsylvania, and moved out in 1806.  He made his location in section three, half a mile south of Tarlton, his son, Joseph SHOEMAKER, now occupying a part of the farm.  Afterwards, he bought the land on which Tarlton now stands, of Newell, after which he lived where WILEY'S hotel now stands.  He was out for a brief period in the war of 1812, during which he was taken sick, and came home and died soon after.  Mr. SHOEMAKER subsequently became the wife of Dr. Otis BALLARD, by whom she had two children.  There were two sons and a daughter by the first marriage.  The daughter married Dr. William B. HAWKS, and resides in Columbus, and the sons, Joseph and Isaac, live at Tarlton.
     SAMUEL LYBRAND moved in with his family soon after Mr. SHOEMAKER, and settled at Newellstown (now Tarlton).  Two daughters of the family are now living in Tarlton.
     JOHN BURNS and family came from Kentucky to Ohio in 1797, and settled in Colerain township, Ross county.  His son, Joseph BURNS, and step-son, Samuel FOWLER, had come out a year or so before.  John BURNS soon removed to Salt Creek township, Pickaway county, locating where Abram HEFFNER now lives, and died there in 1823.  He had a family of ten children, of whom John BURNS, now living in Salt Creek, at the age of eighty-seven or eighty-eight, is the sole survivor.  The house of the family was once destroyed by fire, burning up the family record, and his exact age cannot be known.  He married Sarah Queen, who died in 1865.  They had but one child - Margaret, wife of Jacob HEFFNER.  Mr. BURNS was a soldier in the war of 1812.
     JOSEPH SCHOOTS, one of the earliest of the pioneers, settled on the northwest quarter of section thirty-three.  He emigrated from Virginia and died on his original location at an advance age.  He was a substantial and worthy citizen. 
     BENJAMIN KEPNER and HENRY MATHIAS were among the earliest of the settlers of Scippo creek.  They settled in section six.
     JOHN JUDY and family, of Berks county, Pennsylvania, settled in section twenty-eight, on what is known as the RHODES farm, in the fall of 1805.  While residing there three of the family died - the mother and two sons - and the remnant of the family moved to the southeast quarter of section twelve.  The father died here, and his son, Peter, bought the place and occupied it until a few years since, when he sold the most of it to his son, J. B. JUDY, retaining about thirty acres on the east end of the farm, where he recently died, aged eighty-four.  He was the father of ten children, as follows, mentioned in the order of their birth: Caroline (widow of Jacob WOLF), lives in Fairfield county; Diana (Mrs. William H. HART), lives in Fairfield county; Diana (Mrs. William H. HART), lives in Hocking county; Elizabeth (Mrs. John WANN), in Salt Creek; Mary (afterwards MRs. Cyrus W. HUSTON), is dead; John B. married Margaret Ann GOUGAR, and resides on the homestead; Henry and Catherine (Mrs. Henry GEARHART), in Fairfield county; Sarah (unmarried), lives with her mother; Barbara (Mrs. Cornelius MORE), lives in Franklin county; and William on the old homestead.
     JOHN REICHELDERFER and family, and his son John and family, came to Salt Creek from Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1806.  The two families moved into a cabin which stood where the brick residence of George S. HOSLER stands.  John, Jr., and family shortly afterwards moved on to the farm now owned by Augustus ROSE.
The two oldest daughters of John REICHELDERFER, sr., (Catharine and Barbara) were the wives respectively of Conrad BRANCHER and Jacob SPANGLER.  The former came to Salt Creek with her husband in 1805, as before mentioned, and the latter year or two after the rest of the family, and settled with her husband on section number nine.  The other daughters, who married after they came here, were: Mary, wife of Jacob STROUS; Elizabeth, wife of William STUMPF, and Susan, wife of Samuel FETEROLPH.
     HENRY REICHELDERFER married Nancy BUSSARD, and settled just north of the father's location.  Samuel G. LUTZ married in daughter for his first wife.  Christian REICHELDERFER married Rebecca BOUCHER and settled east of it.  Jacob returned to Pennsylvania, a few years after his arrival here, and married Rebecca LEONARD, when he came out with his wife to Salt Creek, and settled on the northeast quarter of section twenty-three.  He resided there until his death, June 25, 1875.  His wife died in 1856.  They had five children, as follows: Sarah, now the widow of Samuel REICHELDERFER; Elizabeth, wife of Jeremiah STRASSER, of Berks county, Pennsylvania; Venus, who married Leannah MOWERY died Sept. 19, 1856.  His widow married again, and now lives in Allen county, this state.  Henry died in 1854.
     SAMUEL NOBLE was an early settler, half a mile south of Tarlton.  He was from Franklin county, Pennsylvania.  He was an excellent citizen, and was an elder in the Presbyterian church of Tarlton.
     JOHN HARMON and wife, from Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, settled two miles west of Tarleton, where Ira MOODY now lives, in the year 1806.  Mr. HARMON died many years ago, but he lived until within a few days of ninety years of age, dying in December, 1875.  They had seven children, all of whom were born in this township.  They were:  David, John, Elizabeth, Susan, Leah, Samuel and RachelJohn, now nearly seventy-one years of age, is a resident of this township, as is also a sister, Mrs. KARSHNER.  He married Rosanna CHRISTY, and has two children.  John HARMON, Sr., was a blacksmith, and was a hard-working, industrious man.
     HENRY WISSLER* came from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, with his family, consisting of his wife and ten children, in August, 1806.  He had purchased, previously, over eleven hundred acres of land of John SHOEMAKER, over eleven hundred acres of land of John SHOEMAKER, in the southwest part of the township, for which he paid five dollars per acre.  He moved into a cabin which stood just across the road from where the residence of Samuel WISSLER now stands, and which was occupied by a squatter family by the name of SWEIGERT.  In a few months Mr. WISSLER built a two-story log house on the location of the former shanty, and resided there until his death, about the year 1830.  His wife died in 1811.  One child was born to them after their settlement.  To each of his eleven children he gave one hundred and five acres of land.  There are eight surviving children.  Henry lives in Iowa; George lives in Illinois; Barbara (now Mrs. WELDY) in Indiana; Samuel resides in this township, in section thirty-two - he married Margaret BUNN, and has five children, one being deceased; Jacob also lives in Salt Creek; Magdalene (now Mrs. BIECHLER) in Iowa; Mary (Mrs. WOLF) in Marion county; Michael, who is deceased, married Rebecca VANGUNDY, and, after living in several places, settled where his son, Amos, now lives, and resided there until his death, June 30, 1865, aged seventy-five years.  His wife preceded him a few years.  They had a family of ten children, seven of whom are living.
     The same year ABRAM DREISBACH and family joined the settlement.  He first located where Allen DRUM now lives, then moved to Tarlton, or near it, where he resided five years, when they settled in Fairfield county.  He finally returned to this township, however, and died here at the house of his son-in-law, Joseph FOUST, about the year 1840.  Two sons and two daughters are living.
     HENRY DRUM and family of wife and six children, from Berks county, Pennsylvania, settled in Salt Creek in 1806.  He bought one hundred acres in section five, one which he erected his cabin.  He subsequently entered the entire half of the section, and also lands in Fairfield county.  He died in 1808, and was buried on his farm.  His was among the earliest deaths in this portion of the township.  His wife survived him a few yeas.  Their son Henry, the eldest of the family, married Susannah LOUGHSBAUGH, and settled in the same section where William DRUM, his son, now lives.  Near the place is a spring, which used to be a favorite resort of the Indians.  A walnut tree, which stood there until a few years since, plainly showed that it had been used as a target by the Indians in their tomahawk and shooting practice.  Henry DRUM was the father of four children, one of whom is deceased.  William, by the youngest, when married, bought the farm of his father, who then moved into Fairfield county.  He died at the residence of his son William, in the spring of 1861.  He served in the war of 1812, being one of the forty-days men.  His wife died in 1872.  William DRUM has a family of wife and four children, two boys and two girls; Josephus lives in Upper Sandusky; Mary Ann, wife of Captain Henry Hinson, of Circleville; Allen lives in this township; and Emma (Mrs. Walter GRAY) resides in Washington township.
     ABRAHAM HEFFNER moved into the township from Pennsylvania, in the spring of of 1807.  The family lived during the ensuing summer in their covered wagon-box, a short distance north of the present residence of George HALDERMAN.  In this curious habitation the son, David, was born, November 3d, of the same year.  Shortly after this event the family moved to that part of the township called Prairie View, where they settled on forty acres of land.  The father died some twelve years since, in his ninetieth year, and the mother nearly four years before.  They had eleven children.  David HEFFNER, now residing in Washington township, married Lydia BEAR, whose father, Peter BEAR, was an early pioneer of Salt Creek.
     NICHOLAS WHITESEL and family came to Ohio from Virginia, in the year 1807, and after a short residence in Deer Creek, Fairfield county, located in the northeast corner of Salt Creek.  He had a distillery on the Moccason in an early day.  Considerable sickness prevailing in the family in this location, another was subsequently selected on higher ground.  There were five children in the family, four of whom grew up - three sons and a daughter.  The sons, George, Phillip and Jacob were in the war of 1812.  Jacob married, June 12, 1821, Elizabeth Thomas, whose father, George Thomas, emigrated to Ohio from Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1817, settling in Salt Creek.
     JACOB WHITSEL settled on the place now occupied by his son, Archibald, and continued to live there until his death, July 25, 1871.  His widow still survives, and resides in Tarlton, aged about seventy-nine.  Of their seven children, four are yet living, to-wit:  Mrs. William DREISBACH; Elizabeth DREISBACH, unmarried; Archibald, on the old homestead; and Mrs. Israel DUNN, in Fairfield county.

ABRAHAM HEFFNER moved in about 1807 or 1808, and settled on the northeast quarter of section thirty-two.
     In 1808 DAVID FOUST settled where Adelphi now stands, and a few years after moved to Circleville.  He built the old court house there.  He finally returned to Salt Creek, and died here.  He was the father of ten children.  His son, Joseph, now nearly eighty years of age, loves in this township.
     JACOB FOUST came to Ohio in a very early day, as early as 1800, and lived in Salt Creek for a number of years, on section twenty-five, when he moved to Delaware county, seven miles above the village of Delaware.  He finally settled near Cardington, Morrow (then Marion) county, where he died in 1842, his wife surviving him some three years.
     ANDREW FOUST, now living at Tarlton, was the youngest of eleven children.  He came to Pickaway county and learned the carpenter's trade, after which he married, in May, 1831, and settled on the line in Fairfield county, near where John H. ZARING now lives, west of Tarlton.  About twenty years ago he removed to this township, locating in Tarlton, where he has since resided. He was elected to the State legislature in 1844, as a Democratic representative from Fairfield county, and re-elected in 1845.  In 1850 he was elected State senator, serving one term.  During his residence in Fairfield he served as justice of the peace twenty-one years, and in this township two terms.  He is now seventy years of age.
     In 1811, MARTIN, JOHN, GEORGE, SAMUEL, BENJAMIN, HENRY, JONATHAN, and JONAS DRIESBACH, brothers, came from Union county, Pennsylvania.  The first three were married, and brought their families.  Martin settled in Ross county, John in Pickaway township, and George in Salt Creek, on the banks of the Scippo.  The other brothers married, and two - Samuel and Henry- settled in this county.  George DREISBACH died on his original location in 1863.  His son, William, occupies the old homestead, and is the only member of the family living in the State.
     PETER SPYKER and family, a brother-in-law of the DREISBACHS, came out with them in 1811.   He settled on Salt creek, on the farm now owned by D. K. WILSON.  Mrs. Darius PIERCE, of Circleville, is the only member of the family now living.
     JACOB SAYLER, son of Jacob SAYLER previously mentioned, came from Somerset county, Pennsylvania, during the war of 1812.  He settled at Tarlton, on the same lot on which Christopher Myers had settled, and was one of the pioneer merchants of Tarlton.  He was twice married, and became the father of sixteen children, of whom eight are yet living.  Adam, the oldest son by the first wife, lives at Tarlton, and is the only member of the family living in the township.  Jacob SAYLER died in Vinton county, at the residence of his son Orlando, aged about ninety acres.
     GODFREY CREAMER and family emigrated from Wittemberg, Germany, to the United States, in 1817.  After living for three years on the High Banks, twelve miles below Chillicothe, Ohio, they came to Salt Creek.  He changed his location several times, but finally purchased twenty acres and settled in Moccason creek, section eleven, having lived for nine years previous in Clear Creek township, Fairfield county.  He resided on the Moccason thirteen years, when he sold out to his son, with whom he lived until his death, which occurred in May, 1860, in his eighty-third year.
     ANDREW DeLONG came from Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, and arrived in Colerain township, Ross county, July 4, 1830, where his brother, Jacob DeLONG, then lived.  The same fall he moved to Salt Creek and settled in section thirty-five, where his son, Isaac DeLONG, now lives.  He died there in 1841, but his widow is still living in Colerain, having reached the age of ninety-five years of July 12, 1879.  They had eleven children, six now living, namely, Mrs. Rebecca ROOSE (widow), in Tarlton; Isaac, who married, Dec. 17, 1841, Catharine HAYNES, of Salt Creek Township[, Hocking county, and has four children living and two dead; Mrs. Catharine WIGGINS, in Colerain; Caroline, wife of Samuel BETZER, in Colerain; and Amelia, widow of Erastus REYNOLDS, in Hallsville, Colerain township.  Mrs. DeLONG has in her possession a flint-lock double barreled rifle, made in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1812.
     GEORGE RIEGEL, with his family, consisting of his wife and seven children, emigrated to Ohio from Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1832.  He remained in this township for about eight months, and then bought land and settled in Fairfield county.  Solomon, the third son, and now among the older residents of the township, married Mary M. DUNKEL, in October, 1834, and for a few years lived on a part of his father's farm in Fairfield.  He subsequently purchased a farm in Hancock county, and was engaged in farming, milling, and dealing in stock for nine or ten years.  In 1859 he moved to Salt Creek, and located where his son, Solomon D., now lives.  He resided there about fifteen years, when, after a few months' residence in Circleville, he took up his abode where he now lives.  Mr. Riegel has done much for the material improvement of the township, having built a large number of excellent dwellings and other buildings, and been instrumental in the construction of the pikes in this portion of the county.
     PETER FREDERICK, now living with his son William in this township, was born Aug. 6, 1801.  His father, Jacob FREDERICK, was a pioneer of Greene township, Ross county, where he settled in 1804, removing from Buffalo Alley, Pennsylvania.  Peter FREDERICK, married,  Apr. 11, 1825, Catherine ZIMMERMAN, who died Sept. 1, 1867.  He has two children living and two dead.


     In regard to the early schools of Salt Creek, the writer has been unable to obtain exact information.  A school-house, probably the first in the township, was built in 1803 or 1804, on the southwest quarter of section twenty-four.  About the same time, in Tarlton, a rude log structure was erected near the site of the present Methodist Episcopal church.  The first term of school in this house was kept by a man by the name of MITCHELL.
 The first school in the southwest part of the township was kept in a log school-house, on the farm of Joseph SCHOOTS, in section thirty-three.  One of the early teachers there was Timothy BEACH.


     The first religious society organized in the township was probably the Baptist church, in the southwest part, formed as early as 1805.  It was called Salt Creek Baptist church until 1812, when, the Lemuel church uniting with it, the name of Union was substituted.  The meetings of the society were at first held at the dwellings of the members, but a meeting house was soon after built on section twenty-eight.  It was constructed of hickory logs, and is now generally referred to as the "old hickory church."
     The brick church at "prairie view" was erected in 1841 or 1842, at a cost of about two thousand dollars.  Rev. Benjamin Case was the first pastor of the society, and is supposed to have organized it.
     A German Reformed church was organized at Tarlton about the year 1807, by the Rev. George Wise, of Lancaster, Ohio.  About the same time a German Lutheran society was formed, and the two societies shortly afterwards united in the erection of a log meeting-house, which stood on the lot now occupied by the dwelling of Mrs. Whitesel.  About 1830 they put up a log-and-frame building where the frame church of the German Lutheran now stands, which was built by the latter society about 1860, the German Reformed society having previously erected the brick church now owned by the Cumberland Presbyterians.  The German Reformed society continued to prosper until sundry innovations upon established usage were introduced into the church by the pastor, Rev. Samuel Jacobs, who finally joined the Cumberland Presbyterians, taking most of his church with him.  Litigation followed over the question of ownership of the church property, which resulted in favor of the new organization, and the remnant of the original society built a frame house in the southeast part of the village.  The building was recently sold at sheriff's sale, to satisfy a claim which was contracted at the time of its erection, and the society has disbanded.
     The Cumberland Presbyterians maintain an organization, but have no service at the present time.
     The Old School Presbyterians had an organization at Tarlton at an early period of the settlement, which existed for a number of years.
     Rev. Jacob Leist, a Lutheran clergyman, was one of the earliest of the pioneer preachers of this region.  He came to Salt Creek in the early settlement of the township, being then a young man.  He began preaching soon after his arrival, and continued in the ministry for a great many years.  He preached his first sermon here in the old log meeting-house at Tarlton.  The occasion brought out quite a large congregation, all anxious to see and hear the new preacher.  When he entered the house his youthful appearance excited a good deal of surprise and some unfavorable comment among the audience.  He proved, however, a valuable accession to the settlement, and, during the long period of his ministry, was highly esteemed for his moral worth.  He married Elizabeth, daughter of Judge Shoemaker, and fixed his residence where the little hamlet of Leistville now stands, residing there until his death.


a German Reformed Lutheran society, was organized by Revs. Messrs. Wise and Liest, about the year 1820.  A school-house then stood where the burying ground now is, in the northeast corner of section twenty-six, and in it the church held their services until 1831, when a brick house of worship was built.  The present neat brick church was erected in 1877, and cost three thousand dollars.  Rev. Henry King and Rev. Jacob Leist - the former a Reformed minister and the latter a Lutheran - preached for the church for upwards of twenty-five years.  The present preaching are Austin Henry and David Wiseman.
The Sabbath-school of this church is in a flourishing condition, having about one hundred scholars.  William Markle is the superintendent.
     In 1819 or 1820, members of German Reformed and Lutheran denominations residing in the western part of the township, built a log meeting-house, and held meetings there for a number of years, although no organization was ever effected.  A United Brethren society was subsequently formed there, and occupied the house for some years, when it disbanded, and the meeting-house finally burned down.


was organized at the house of George Dreisbach (where his son, William Dreisbach, now lives), about the year 1820.  The members were George Dreisbach, Elizabeth Whetsel, and a few others, whose names are no forgotten.  This appointment was, and is still, on the Pickaway circuit, which originally embraced some thirty appointments, but now has only four.  The regular services of the class were held at the dwelling of George Dreisbach, every other Sabbath, until 1835, when the present brick church was erected, which is locacated on the north line of the township.  Revs. Louis Kramer, Jacob Antrim, Joseph Russell, Joseph Hoffman, Jacob Daup, ____ Benedum, and Henry Kumler, were among the early preachers on this circuit.  The membership of the church is now about twenty, George W. Devers, of Tarlton, being the pastor.


     The first meetings of the Methodists in Salt Creek were held at a very early date, at the house of Abraham Monett.  They kept up their meetings a number of years, and probably formed a class.
     The date of the organization of the class at Tarlton cannot be stated, but it was in existence as early as 1825.  The circuit was then Adelphi circuit, Chillicothe district.  It embraced twenty appointments, in Pickaway, Vinton, Ross, Fairfield, and Hocking counties.  In 1841 Tarlton circuit was formed, from Adelphi, with seven appointments - Tarlton and Haller's chapels being the only two in this county.  In 1870 South Perry circuit was taken off from Tarlton, leaving the latter with the following appointments: Tarlton, Hopewell, Amanda and Oakland - the last three in Fairfield county.
     The church at Tarlton first held their meetings in a log school-house, which stood just south of where the present church building stands.  It was built soon after the class was formed, and was used until 1840, when the present house was erected.
     The following is a list of the circuit preachers who have officiated at this point, in order named, namely:  On the Adelphi circuit - E. H. Field, George C. Crum, William Westlake, Philip Nation, John Stuart, John W. White, John Stuart, Wesley Roe, Benjamin Ellis, David Lewis, Benjamin Ellis, J. B. Austin, Charles C. Lybrand, Richard Daughty, James Parsons, and Richard Daughty.
The first preacher, after the formation of the Tarlton circuit, was Daniel Poe.  There are several curious circumstances in his life worthy of mention.  He was, in early life, a missionary among the Indians on the western frontier, and while there met the young lady (also engaged in mission work) who subsequently became his wife.  Poe was the man of stalwart frame, standing six feet and two inches in his stockings, and his wife was nearly his equal in stature.  He was a twin child, and so was she, and, lastly, they died within fifteen minutes of each other, and both are buried in one grave.  Poe was on the circuit one year, when he went to Texas as a missionary, and died there two years afterwards.  Mr. Poe was followed by Messrs. James Laws, Alexander Morrow, Joseph Morris, David H. Sargent, John M. Clark, Andrew Carrol, E. T. Webster, John W. Steele, McCutcheon, Gortner, Fink, Howard, Bennett, Anderson Kirkman, G. G. West, L. Whitehead, John T. Miller, Isaac F. King, Benjamin Ellis, John T. Miller, Andrew Carrol, Benjamin Ellis, Thomas R. Taylor, W. C. Filler, B. Wolfe, Ross, Sibley, Weir, Ebright, Hall, Hanawalt, Thomas Hall, Pickets, McClintock, T. S. Thurston, Isaac Mackey, and Mr. Berry, the present ministor
     The presiding elders have been John Collins, Augustus Eddy, John Ferree, Joseph M. Trimble, David Whitecomb, Robert O. Spencer, John M. Clark, ____ Jamison, Z. Connell, D. Mather, John W. White, B. Spahr, W. T. Harvey, and Thomas Hall.
     The church has, at present, a membership of about one hundred and twenty, and a Sunday-school of about one hundred and thirty, including officers and teachers.


at Tarlton, was formed by Rev. Nathan B. Little, in the year 1835, with about thirty members.  The society occupied the Old School Presbyterian church building at a place of worship until 1841, when they erected a house of their own, at Tarlton, which they have since used.  Rev. Mr. Little was the first pastor of the church and has been succeeded, respectively, by Revs. Messrs. Bishop, Weddell, Kleim, Reck, Imhoff, Myers, Hill, Sprecher, Miller, Hower, and Hershiser, whose term of service has not at this writing expired.  The church has a membership of about sixty, and a Sabbath-school with an attendance of about fifty.  The officers are:  William N. Julian and Joseph Hedges, trustees; Joseph Boyer and Joseph Hedges, elders; James Ballard and James H. Hedges, deacons; James H. Hedges, treasurer.


at Tarlton, was organized in 1840, or about that time, by Revs. Lewis Ambrows and Joshua Montgomery, and consisted of eight members, as follows:  John Boysel and wife, Jacob Larick and wife, Israel Zimmerman, Mahala Kinser, and two others, whose names cannot now be remembered.  The building was erected two or three years after, and stands just north of the county line.  Before the erection of the church, and society held its services at the house of Mr. Larick.  The church was formerly quite prosperous, the membership numbering at one time seventy-three.  There are now only about half a dozen members.  Rev. George Devers is the pastor, and John Boysel is leader.


came into being in the year 1858, by a union of the Warren school-house class and that at Haller's chapel.  The church building was put up that summer, and dedicated the same fall by Rev. Mr. Felton.  The church is, at present, without a regular pastor, but is supplied with preaching by the Methodist clergyman from Adelphi.  Mrs. Nancy Steele is superintendent of the Sunday-school, which numbers fifty scholars.


at Prairie View, was organized by Rev. Archibald Brice, at the Oak Grove Methodist Episcopal church, in February, 1859, and consisted of ten or eleven members.  Until the completion of their house of worship, in the fall of 1860, the services of the society were held in the frame school-house, which stood where the brick one now does, west of the Oak Grove church.  The present pastor, Rev. Michael Dent, has officiated in that capacity since the church building was erected, though Mr. Brice has preached occasionally in the meantime.
     In 1877 a similar society was formed at Laurelville, in Hocking county, by the members of this church, resident in that vicinity, which diminished the church to about one-half its previous membership.  The officers of the church are: William Frederick and Ovid Lutz, elders; Lewis Lecher and Emory Anderson, deacons.  A Sabbath-school has existed since the organization of the church, and the first few years was very flourishing.  Thomas Harmon is the present superintendent.


at Pleasant View, was formed by Rev. S. E. Rife, in January, 1875, and consisted of about twenty members.  The buildings was erected the following summer.  Rev. Mr. Rife was the first pastor, since whom Revs. Messrs. Hankey, Wingard, Ellenberger, Munn, Rincholt, and Evans have officiated.  The leaders are W. B. Miesse and James Wilkins; steward, Moses Imler trustees, Imler, Wilkins, Friese, Heffner, and Meisse.  There has been a Sabbath-school since the organization of the church, with the exception of the last winter.  William White is the present superintendent.
     Tarlton lodge No. 218, I. O. O. F., was organized Mar. 16, 1853.  The first officers were: J. W. Steele, N. G.; J. Metzler, V. G.; Sylvester V. Tiror, secretary; Archibald Lybrand, treasurer.  The present officers are: Allen Dreisbach, N. G.; J. B. Judyu, V. G.; S. Defenbach, secretary; John H. Zaring, treasurer.
     The first person buried in the Stumpf burying-ground was Jane Defenbaugh, who died in October, 1804.  She and her mother came out from Pennsylvania soon after Adam Defenbaugh, a brother of Jane, settled at Laurelville.  She sickened and died soon after her arrival.  Her brother and Jacob Struse cut down a cherry tree, and sawed out a few boards, with which Samuel Spangler made a rude coffin for the deceased girl.  The ground for her burial was donated by George Dunkel.


     The first frame building erected in the township was the dwelling of John Shoemaker, in Tarlton, now standing in the southwest part of the village, but originally near the location of the present residence of Mr. Ballard.  The raising of the frame of the building was an event of such importance as to call out all the men for miles around.


     The first saw-mill in Salt Creek township was built by John LUTZ, on Moccason creek, in section thirteen.  The earliest on Salt creek were those of DUNKEL and STUMPF, near Adelphi, and the REICHELDERFERS' (John and Christian), near the present residence of Mr. HOSLER.
     The early settlers obtained their grinding at CROUSE's mill, in the vicinity of Chillicothe.  The mill was a small affair, and considerable time would be consumed in making a trip to the mill.  At a later date the settlers got their grist ground at VanGUNDY's mill, on the Kinnickkinnik.
     The grist-mill, in this township, was built by Jacob STROUS, on Salt creek, in 1820, where the mill of David H. STROUS now stands.  The original now stands a few rods west of its former location, and is used by Mr. STROUS, as a general workshop.  The present grist-mill was erected by Jacob STROUS, in 1831.  The saw-mill was built in 1825, and the carding machine in 1844.  These works are all run by water power.
     The following is contributed by William W. JULIAN, of Tarlton:

     In the year 1810 or 1811 Abraham BARNET erected a saw-mill on salt creek, at Tarlton.  This saw-mill was a simple design, being driven by the common flutter wheel, and was thus run until about the year 1815.  The property was then purchased by George Wolf, who improved the mill by the addition of a tread-wheel, and the introduction of a shingle machine, capable of manufacturing five hundred shingles per hour.  Mr. Wolf being a man of considerable enterprise, and having had some success, concluded to build a flouring mill, in addition to the saw-mill, and, in due time, the flouring mill was built, and in running order.  But now the enterprising pioneer discovered that the new addition necessitated additional propelling power, as the tread-wheel and water power, combined, was insufficient to run the works at all seasons of the year; and, to obviate this difficulty, resort was had to a very novel and hazardous experiment with steam power, which, in the end, proved disastrous.  To carry out this new design, Wolf associated with him, in business, Timothy and Benjamin Beach, who were the principal designers of the steam works to be added.  The preliminaries being settled, the steam works were at once built, but were soon to decay.  An accurate description of the steam works cannot now be given, there being no person now living whose recollection is clear enough to give the requisite facts concerning them; nevertheless, from the best information now attainable, the steam design must have been about as follows:  there being an over-shot wheel attached to the flouring mill, the design was to return the water from below the wheel to the forebay, in times of low water, by means of steam power; and, to accomplish this object, a stout box, or water receptacle, was placed low under the water-wheel.  This box was divided into three parts or divisions; two of these separate parts had pistons working into them.  Into the third division of the box was inserted the conductor, to convey the water to the forebay, above.  This conductor was of peculiar construction, and made in the following manner: a sycamore log, of some twenty inches in diameter, and of proper length, was secured; a hole was bored through the center, the log then set on end, and fire set to burning, until the hole was enlarged to about eight inches diameter.  This hollow log was then fitted into the third division of the water box  (as above stated), which contained suitable valves for receiving and holding the water.  Steam was conducted from the boiler into the first two divisions of the box having the piston heads.  Arrangements had been made to shift the steam, so that, when one piston was forced down, the other would rise and fill with water from below - the downward piston forcing the water up the hollow log, and so on.  All things being now ready, steam was turned on, but, to the surprise of the projectors, no water appeared above.  The disappointment did not discourage these enterprising spirits, who persevered until the temperature of the steam receptacles was raised so as not to condense the steam suddenly; after which they had the gratification of seeing a small amount of water flow into the forebay from the hollow log.  The proprietors now, for the first time, clearly discovered their mistake, and the steam enterprise was abandoned. These attempts at steam power, in all probability, were made during the year 1830-31.  From this date to 1865, this property passed through several hands, in the following order: George Wilbern, Jacob Laric, William Brown, Samuel Bitler, Kilion H. Dunkel, and Albert Wolf who in the year 1865, placed the engine which is now in the mill, and is still in good running order.  Wolf conveyed the property to John Boysel, Boysel to William Dreisbach & Co., Dreisbach to present owners, Bucchler & Kramer
     The Tarlton steam saw-mill was built in the year 1849, by a joint-stock company.  The original design was what is known as a muley mill.  This mill has passed through many hands, and many changes have been made.  The mill is now what is known as a stationary circular mill.  The original engine, which was built by Gilbert Deal, of Lancaster, Ohio, is still in the mill, and in good order.


     The first post-office in the township was established at Tarlton, some time prior to the war of 1812. The post-master was Samuel Lybrand, who kept the office in his dwelling, the house now occupied by Adam Kramer. The post-office route was from Chillicothe to Zanesville, and Israel Wheeler was the earliest carrier of the mail from Chillicothe to Tarlton whose name can now be remembered. Wheeler was drowned while fording Salt creek, on horseback, in the performance of his duties.
     Adam Nye succeeded Lybrand, according to the best recollection of the oldest residents, and held the position until Jackson was elected, when the new departure in civil service, based upon the "to-the-victors-belong-the-spoils" system was inaugurated. Nye had th office in his tavern.
     Squire George W. Magee was the next postmaster, keeping the office in the house now occupied by widow Bond. After serving five or six years, he was succeeded by his son, James, who continued in the position for a couple of years. Since the younger Magee, the following named individuals have successively officiated as postmaster of the Tarlton office, viz.: Henry S. Creal, Otis Ballard, F. W. Nye, Joel Todd, Samuel Karshner, N. A. Davison, James C. Creager, and William C. Roberts, the present incumbent.
     There are now also post-offices at Leistville and Stringtown, of which G. W. Corn and William Crites are the respective postmasters.
     In the apportionment of justices of the peace, April 6, 1810, Salt Creek had two, viz.: Jacob Lutz and William Drury. By act of the legislature, passed March 7, 1843, that part of Adelphi in Salt Creek township was attached to Ross county. The early records of the township have been lost, and we are unable to give the names of the first township officers. The present township officers are as follows: Allen S. Mowery, clerk; William H. Mowery, Willison B. Miesse, Joseph Boyer, trustees; John F. Mowery, treasurer; Henry North, assessor; S. G. Morgan and A. C. Thomas, constables

     * Some of the descendants write it Whisler.
** For the facts of the early history of this township the writer is mainly indebted to Samuel Lutz.





CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights