A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Union County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio
- Illustrated -
Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company,


  E. L. MATHER, M. D., a practicing physician of Byhalia, was born in Union county, Dec. 1, 1868, and is a son of J. D. and Ruth (Tallman) Mather, who are residents of York township.  The father carries on agricultural pursuits, and upon the home farm the Doctor spent the days of his childhood.  The family lived for a time in Jackson township and then removed to York township.  He early became familiar with all the duties of farm life, for as soon as old enough to handle the plow he began work in the fields.  His primary education was obtained in the common schools, and at the age of sixteen he began teaching, which profession he followed for five years altogether.  In this way he secured the funds to further pursue his studies, and entered the Ohio Normal, at Ada, Ohio, where he took a thorough course.  His education was completed in the Ohio Wesleyan University, of Delaware, Ohio, and soon after he began fitting himself for the medical profession.
     Our subject was a young man of eighteen years when he entered the office of Dr. George Miller, of Marysville, Ohio.   Later he attended the Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, and was graduated therefrom in the class of 1892.  He immediately entered upon the work of his chosen profession, locating in Byhalia, where he has since made his home.  His talents and ability soon won recognition and he is now receiving a liberal and constantly increasing patronage, of which he is well deserving, for he is a close student and careful practitioner whose duties are never neglected.
     On the 18th of August, 1892, Dr. Mather was united in marriage with Miss Luella Lingrel, an accomplished young lady of Byhalia and a daughter of Henry and Cynthia Ann (Thornston) Lingrel.  Their home is made bright and happy by the presence of a little daughter, Ethylene.  Both the Doctor and Mrs. Mather are members of the Methodist Episcopal Chu7rch, in which he is now serving as Class Leader, and in the work of the society they take a deep and commendable interest.  In social circles they rank high, and the Mather household is noted for its hospitality.  The Doctor is a warm friend of the cause of education and is now president of the School Board in Washington township.  His entire life has been passed in Union county and those who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his stanchest friends, a fact which speaks well for him.
~ Page 218 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio  - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

O. W. McADOW, who holds the conspicuous official preferment as Mayor of the progressive little city of Milford Centre, Union county, Ohio, and who stands as one of the representative men of the county, must assuredly be accorded specific mention in this connection.
     He is a native of the same county in which he still retains a residence, his birthplace having been the paternal homestead, in the vicinity of the town of Broadway, the date of his nativity being May 30, 1857. His parents were Samuel and Adaline (Wolf) McAdow, the former of whom was born in Maryland but reared in this county, and the latter was a native of the Buckeye State. They became the parents of eight children, of whom five are living at the present time.
     O. W. McAdow was reared in this, Union county, receiving his education in the district schools and the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware; for four years he was in the mercantile business at Irwin Station, this county, after which he continued in the same line of enterprise at Plain City. He also conducted a mercantile business at Milford Centre, selling out his interests in the same in January of the present year (1894), since which time he has not been actively concerned in any business aside from that implied in his official function as Mayor of Milford Centre and as Township Clerk, Notary Public, and Justice of the Peace, in all of which notable offices he is the incumbent at the present time. That he is a man of distinctive business sagacity and executive ability is manifest in the wise and conservative administration which he has given as the head of the municipal government, and the recognition of his fitness for positions of trust is implied in his having been chosen to such important offices in the gift of the people. Under his management the village has made wonderful improvement, during the past year putting in a system of water works and electric light.
     Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order, retaining a membership in Palestine Lodge and Marysville Chapter, at Marysville; with the Knights of Pythias, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
     At the age of twenty-four years he was united in marriage to Miss Rena M. Shaffer, daughter of Henry and Sarah Shaffer, of Marysville, Ohio.
     In politics our subject is a stanch and aggressive Republican, believing in the sound doctrine of the principle of American protections.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 299-300
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


J. B. McCLOUD, who resides on a farm near Marysville, Ohio, is a native of Union county and one of its enterprising citizens. He was born in Union township, on his father’s farm, July 24, 1855, and is a son of James McCloud, deceased, who was for many years a prominent resident of this county. James McCloud was born in Delaware county, Ohio, son of John McCloud, a descendant of Scotch-Irish ancestry; was reared and educated in Union county, married Mrs. Malinda (Converse) Bigelow, widow of A. R. Bigelow. He was in the army, where he lost his health. He was a successful farmer, served as a Justice of the Peace, and was a man of great usefulness in his community, taking an active part in church and lodge work. He was a Methodist and served for a number of years as Sabbath-school Superintendent. A charter member of Darby Lodge, No. 636, I. O. O. F., at Milford Centre, he passed all its chairs and was a member for twenty years. His widow is now a resident of Milford Centre. Of her children we record that she had two by her first husband, —A. R. Bigelow, Jr., and a daughter, the latter deceased. By Mr. McCloud she had five children, namely: Jerry B., the subject of this sketch; Nina R., wife of G. F. Morse, Garnett, Kansas; the next born were twins, one of which died in infancy, the other, Mamie M., now being the wife of L. H. Elliott, of Union township, this county; and Etta, who died at the age of two years.
     J. B. McCloud
spent his boyhood days on his father’s farm, receiving his education in the district schools and at Delaware. When he was twenty-three years of age he went to Anderson county, Kansas, where he settled on a tract of wild land and developed a farm, remaining there six years. At the end of that time he sold out and returned to Ohio, and the following six years he spent on the home farm. Then for two years he was at Milford Centre, employed as a photographer, after which he purchased the farm on which he now resides, 100 acres formerly known as the Joe Powers farm. On this place are good farm buildings, fences, etc., and every thing conveniently arranged for successful farming. In addition to his agricultural pursuits, Mr. McCloud also does considerable business in photography, making a specialty of outside work, groups and rural views.
     Mr. McCloud was married November 24, 1875, to Miss Lavinia Brobeck, daughter of Joseph and Chloe Brobeck, now in Kansas. Mrs. McCloud was a teacher before her marriage. They have had seven children, of whom four are living: Frank, Ethel, Nina and Lena. The others, Ney, Willie and Earl, died in early childhood, the last two dying of membranous croup and within a week of each other.
     Mr. McCloud
is a Republican and an Odd Fellow. He is a member of Darby Lodge, No. 636, I. O. O. F., of Milford Centre and Marysville Encampment, No. 114, in which he has passed all the chairs. Mrs. McCloud is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 354-355
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


SMITH N. McCLOUD. — Occupying a conspicuous official preferment, wielding an unmistakable influence upon the political affairs of the county, and closely identified with the industrial life of the vital little city of Marysville, Ohio, there is a special propriety in directing particular attention to the career of him whose name initiates this paragraph.
     Turning, then, a retrospective glance back to the nativity of our subject we find that he first saw the light of day in the same State of which he is now an honored resident, the date of his birth having been December 9, 1845; the place, Madison county.
     His parents, people of intelligence and honest worth, were Charles and Mary J. (Carpenter) McCloud, the former of whom was of Scotch lineage, the latter of Irish extraction. The father is deceased and the mother is living at Plain City, Ohio.
     Smith N. McCloud
was reared in his native county, attending the public schools until he had attained the age of about eighteen years, after which he completed the course in the high school of Marysville. This preliminary discipline complete he at once entered upon the active duties of life, showing no inclination to stand back with folded hands to await the golden opportunity, but choosing, rather, to make his own opportunity. Accordingly, he became connected, in a clerical capacity, with a drug business at Plain City, Ohio, and was thus retained until 1865 or ’66, when he engaged in the same line of enterprise upon his own responsibility, opening an establishment in the town where he had been employed and thus continuing until 1871, when he removed to Marysville, where he succeeded to the drug business previously conducted by Dr. H. McFadden, and continued this enterprise successfully for a full score of years, the establishment holding precedence as one representative in its line.
     In August, 1891, Mr. McCloud disposed of the stock and business, after having given the same his personal supervision during all the time the same had been under his control, the only outside issues which called for a division of his attention being those incidental to his labors in behalf of his political party. He has taken distinctive interest in general and local political matters, has been stanchly arrayed in the support of the Democratic party, and has long been a most powerful factor in the councils of his party adherents in Union county. Almost immediately after his arrival in Marysville he gained recognition as a valuable acquisition to the party ranks, zealous and indefatigable in his efforts, logical in his deductions as to policies, and effective in directing affairs toward the goal of success. He became a member of the Democratic Central Committee of Union county in 1872, and was continuously identified with said organization until 1885, receiving, in July of that year, the appointment as Postmaster of Marysville, —an office which he continued to hold until 1890, proving a most capable and popular executive and aiming to insure to the people of the community the most effective service possible to be secured. After an interim, which marked the Republican administration, he was again appointed Postmaster, in April, 1894, the incumbent under the second régime of President Cleveland.
     As evidence of the respect and esteem in which Mr. McCloud is held in Marysville, it is apropos that we mention the fact that he was a member of the Common Council of the city prior to his first appointment to the office of Postmaster, and that during his inter-regnum of four years he was again called upon to act in this capacity, —a circumstance the more noteworthy for the reason that the political complexion of the city is strongly Republican.
     Reverting to his efforts in connection with his official duties as Postmaster, we find that, within the time of his first administration, he brought about the removal of the postoffice to its present spacious and convenient quarters, and that the fine, modern equipment now in use was introduced largely through his personal and well-directed efforts.
     In his fraternal relations Mr. McCloud is prominently identified with the F. & A. M., Palestine Lodge, No. 158; Marysville Chapter, No. 99; also with the I. O. O. F., Marysville Lodge, No. 87; with the Knights of Pythias, Marysville Lodge, No. 100, holding in the same the office of Special Deputy Grand Chancellor of Union county, and having represented his lodge at the several meetings of the Grand Lodge.
     Our subject was united in marriage to Miss Nora E. Filler, a native of Springfield, Ohio. They are the parents of seven children, of whom we make brief record as follows: Charles F., who married Miss Ethline Peck, is a resident of Marysville, and has charge of the bottling works in connection with the mineral springs operated by his father, as noted further on in the context; Imogene, wife of Charles Schwartz, of Marysville, but in the employ of a Cincinnati house as traveling salesman; Lena, who assists her father in the post-office; John J., who is preparing himself for the practice of medicine; May, who is a graduate of the Marysville high school, as are also those older; Nellie, and Erdean.
     In considering the business career of our subject there are several matters which call for specific mention as bearing upon the industrial activities of the city and as evidence of his progressive spirit and executive ability. In 1886 Mr. McCloud organized a company and enlisted capital for the sinking of a gas well. The venture as put to the test failed to yield the desired results in the striking of gas, and the enterprise was abandoned in so far as the original project was concerned. However, the well developed a pure, perpetual stream of water, clear as crystal, of alkaline nature, and showing upon analysis a very interesting chemical combination of remedial agents. Additional stock was issued to develop the well upon its medicinal valuation. In this connection a copartnership was formed and a commodious and nicely appointed bath-house erected. This has been in constant operation from the time of its completion and has gained an excellent patronage, the value of the water in the treatment of rheumatism, skin diseases and allied complaints having been thoroughly tested and proved. Of this enterprise our subject assumed full control in 1888, and at the present time the waters are in demand and are shipped to divers sections of the Union. The well produces two waters of different constituency: the “Saline,” which is pumped to the surface, and the natural-flowing issue. The bath-house is under the supervision of Charles F., the eldest son of the proprietor.
     Mr. McCloud
was one of three individuals who established in Marysville the Keeley Institute for the cure of inebriety, and after having placed the enterprise in good running order he disposed of his interests in the same. He is president of the Newhouse Manufacturing Company, of Marysville, organized for the purpose of manufacturing and placing on the market the Newhouse patent horizontal ice-cream freezer, a new and original device of unique order and one that is destined to supersede all other mechanisms in the line, by reason of its unmistakable superiority as shown by most exacting tests. In addition to this the company will also manufacture the Newhouse criculating [sic] air purifier and heater, designed for use in both public and private buildings, and bearing the highest recommendations by reason of its effective agency in a sanitary way, in the saving of fuel and in facility of operation. The enterprise is one that will prove of marked value to the commercial status of the city.
     Mr. McCloud
’s beautiful residence, which figures as one of the finest homes in Marysville, was erected in 1892, is of pleasing architectural design, and modern in all appointments and conveniences; the residence is located on Fourth street.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 458-460
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


J. S. McGINNIS, postoffice Richwood, follows farming in York township, Union county, where he owns and operates 240 acres of land. This is a valuable tract, and the rich soil yields to the owner a golden tribute in return for the care and cultivation he bestows upon it. Upon the place is a comfortable residence, good barn and windmill and all the other accessories and conveniences of a model farm.
     Mr. McGinnis
was born on this place on the 23d of August, 1867, and comes of a family of Scotch-Irish origin. His grandparents, Johnson and Margaret (Penick) McGinnis, came to Union county in 1854. They had a family of nine children, one of whom, William McGinnis, became the father of our subject. That gentleman was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, January 7, 1818, and was there reared and educated. Having arrived at man’s estate he wedded Miss Mary Hartford, and they became the parents of four children, two of whom are yet living, —Andrew N., of Norfolk, Nebraska; and Amelia J. Taylor, of Bokes Creek, Ohio. Those deceased are: Albert O., who died at the age of twenty-eight; and John, who died in childhood. The mother of this family was called to the home beyond on the 4th of July, 1861, and on April 20, 1865, Mr. McGinnis married Miss Mary J. Sterling, who was born in Harrison county, Ohio, May 25, 1833, and is a daughter of David and Mary (Cox) Sterling. Her father died in York township, February 18, 1874, and her mother passed away June 17, 1882. They had a family of four children, namely: Mary J., John H., Amos James, who was a soldier and Colonel of the late war and is now living in Leadville, Colorado; and Rebecca Margaret, who is living in Richwood, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. McGinnis also had four children: John Sterling, of this sketch; Agnes G., born October 18, 1870; James H., who died December 13, 1869, at the age of nineteen months, and David W., who died August 24, 1877, at the age of five years. Agnes G. was united in marriage to William A. Mulligan on January 14, 1892. He died May 19, 1892: to them were born a daughter, Mary R., February 8, 1893. The father departed this life November 13, 1889, when seventy-one years of age.
     No event of special importance occurred during the boyhood and youth of our subject. He was reared in his parents’ home in the usual manner of farmer lads, working in the fields through the summer months, and attending the common schools of the neighborhood during the winter season. He is a wide-awake and enterprising young man and his industrious habits and energetic disposition are winning him success in his undertakings. In connection with farming he is interested in the Central Ohio Fence Company, of Richwood, Ohio, of which he is now president.
     On June 20, 1894, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. McGinnis and Miss Minnie Dell Spicer, daughter of David and Keziah (Ross) Spicer. They are well known people of this community, and in the township where they live have many warm friends. Mr. McGinnis exercises his right of franchise in support of the Republican party and holds membership with Mount Carmel Lodge, No. 303, A. F. & A. M., and with the Presbyterian Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 336-337
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


LAFAYETTE McILROY, Raymond’s, Union county, Ohio, is one of the thrifty farmers and prominent citizens of Liberty township.
     Mr. McIlroy
was born on the farm on which he now lives, October 20, 1856, his grandparents, James and Cassie (Baker) McIlroy, natives of Vermont, having settled here about the year 1835, and in the midst of the forest developed a farm. They had a large family of children, four sons and seven daughters, one of whom, Zachariah, the father of our subject, was born in Harrison county, Ohio, May 14, 1821, and was a boy in his ’teens when they settled here. Here he grew up, and when he reached his majority was married to Catharine Heminger, a native of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and a daughter of George Heminger. After his marriage he bought the old home place, and here he spent the rest of his life and died. His parents both died in this county. He owned 800 acres of land and carried on both farming and stock-raising, making a specialty of raising draft horses. He and his wife had eight children, viz: John M., James W., George F., Jacob Foy, La Fayette, Susan Shirk, Cassie Belle Sparks and Clara May. The father died June 3, 1890, and the mother is still living, now a resident of Raymond’s. Politically Zachariah McIlroy was a Democrat up to the time of the war, after which he was a Republican. In religion he was a Methodist, and was a Steward and Trustee of his church. He was a man of many sterling qualities, and was honored and respected by all who knew him.
     Lafayette McIlroy
’s early life was not unlike that of other farmer boys. His education was received in the district school and in the practical school of experience. He succeeded his father in the ownership of the farm above referred to, and now has 200 acres of this land, which is well improved and under a high state of cultivation. The large residence is located on a natural building site and has a pretty lawn in front, and among the other improvements on the farm are the substantial buildings, modern wind pump, orchard, etc.
     Mr. McIlroy
was married March 2, 1878, to Miss Laura Hubbard, who was born and reared in this township, daughter of J. R. and Elizabeth (Sterling) Hubbard, the former a native of Vermont and the latter born near Zanesville, Ohio. The mother died in July, 1884, and the father still resides in this township. Mr. Hubbard has four children: Emeline, wife of John M. McIlroy; Lucy Winters, of Columbus, Ohio; Mary, wife of Clarence McIlroy; and Laura McIlroy. Mr. and Mrs. McIlroy have four children, —Clarence H., Hazel K., Lucy B., and Fannie May.
     Mr. McIlroy has for years been one of the wheel-horses of the Republican party in Liberty township, and has served with credit as a member of the Board of Education and as Constable and Assessor. He is a member of Newton Lodge, No. 249, A. F. & A. M., of Raymond’s. In the prime of life, intelligent, genial and jovial, he is popular with all who know him.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 438-439
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


S. A. McNEIL, one of the representative and highly respected farmers of York township, Union county, was born in a log cabin in Claiborne township on the 13th day of April, 1844. His great-great-grandfather, Samuel McNeil, and his wife, formerly Sarah Skillen, came from Ireland to Chester county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1740. His great-grandfather, Alexander McNeil, was married to Ann Porter, in 1770, and served in General Washington’s army through the Revolution. His grandfather, Andrew McNeil, Sr., was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1777, and was married to Margery Young in 1799. His father, Andrew McNeil, Jr., the seventh child of Andrew and Margery, was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, March 23, 1811. During his younger years he came to Ohio and is numbered among the early settlers of Union county.
     He was married February 28, 1833, in Chester county, Pennsylvania, to Mary Criswell, who was born in that county, November 11, 1809. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church at Faggs Manor, and both belonged to old Presbyterian families, very prominent in church circles.
     The young couple began their domestic life in the Keystone State, but five years later, in 1838, emigrated to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, making the journey by team. The following year they came to Union county. November 9, 1839, they, with thirteen other persons, organized the York Presbyterian Church, and Mr. McNeil was chosen as one of the Ruling Elders, which office he held until his death. His worth and ability soon made him one of the leading citizens of this community and he was frequently called upon to serve in positions of public trust. For two terms he served as Auditor of the county and two terms as County Commissioner. He also served as Trustee of Claiborne township and Clerk of York township. He was a robust Christian, tenacious in what he thought was truth and duty, and was unflinching in his loyalty to his country during the Civil war.
     His wife died on the 6th day of October. 1861, leaving three children: Miriam R., who was married to James D. Stanley: Amanda, who was married to Hugh Ross, and Samuel A. The father was afterwards again married, his second union being with Catherine McCrea Patterson. The ill-fated Jane McCrea, massacred by the Indians near Saratoga, New York. whose tragic story is celebrated in the annals of the Revolution, was her great-aunt. Mr. McNeil died December 31, 1889. Catherine McCrea McNeil died October 27, 1893.
     Union county was to a great degree a frontier settlement during the boyhood clays of S. A. McNeil, and with the family he went through the experience of pioneer life. He acquired his education in the schools of the neighborhood, and through the summer months worked on the farm, aiding his father in the development and cultivation of the old homestead. Early in 1861 his father arranged to send him away to school, but the great war cloud had gathered and hung over the land, and young McNeil, stirred with patriotic impulses, felt that his country needed the services of all her able-bodied sons. In consequence, on the 17th day of August, 1861, although only seventeen years of age, with his father’s permission, he enlisted as a member of Company F, Thirty-first Ohio Infantry, for three years. He was with his regiment and took part in almost every important battle in which the Army of the Cumberland was engaged from Mill Springs, Kentucky, to Missionary Ridge, Georgia. In the last named he was severely wounded by a minie ball which passed through his neck. In January, he re-enlisted as a veteran and was promoted to Sergeant. He was “present for duty” every day from the opening of the Atlanta campaign to Johnston’s surrender to Sherman in April, 1865, and until he was honorably discharged, July 26, 1865.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 221-222
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


GEORGE M. McPECK, one of the most enterprising business men of Marysville, Ohio, and one of the members of the company for supplying light and water to this city, has been a resident of Union county since 1852, and of Marysville since 1883.
     He was born in Harrison county, Ohio, July 19, 1842, son of William H. and Elizabeth (Speck) McPeck, natives respectively of Westmoreland and Washington counties, Pennsylvania; both died in this county, the father in 1891, at the of seventy-five years, and the mother in 1892, at the age of seventy-three years. In early life the father learned the trade of brick and stone mason, and carried on an extensive business in that line for some years. The most of his life, however, was devoted to farming. When he came to Union county, Ohio, he settled on 220 acres of timber land in Washington township, which he developed into a good farm and upon which he resided from 1852 until 1883. In 1883 he removed to Marysville, where he spent the closing years of his life in retirement from active business. His grandfather, the great-grandfather of George M., was born in county Donegal, Ireland, and was the first of the family to come to America. Another branch of our subject’s ancestry originated in Scotland, and thus he is of Scotch and Irish descent. The family have been represented in the various wars of the country. William H. and Elizabeth McPeck had a family of six children, namely: George M.; Margaret J., wife of William M. Haines, of Marion county, Ohio; Isabelle A., wife of W. J. Drake, of Logan county, Ohio; Stephen, Union county, Ohio; Sarah A., wife of William Deihl, Marysville; and Mary E., wife of John Reuhlen, Logan county.
     George M
. was reared on his father’s farm and was educated in the district schools. At nineteen he began teaching school. This was during the first year of the war, and about the time he opened his school a company was being made up in his neighborhood; so, after teaching only three days, he left the schoolroom and joined the Union army. He enlisted December 2, 1861, in Company H, Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out July 24, 1865, at Louisville, Kentucky; and received his discharge at Columbus, Ohio, July 29. He had veteranized January 1, 1864, in the same company and regiment, and served in the same command from the first to the last of the war, going in as a private and coming home with the rank of First Sergeant. To give a detailed account of his army life would be to write a history of the greater part of the civil war, which, of course, is not our purpose in this work. Suffice it to say that he was in many of its most important engagements, and that prominent among them were those of second Bull Run, Gettysburg, Mission Ridge, Resaca, the siege of Atlanta and the march with Sherman to the sea; thence on up into the Carolinas, and finally participating in the Grand Review at Washington. In all his service he was never captured by the enemy, but on two occasions he was wounded, —first, in the second battle of Bull Run, where he was wounded in the right thigh, from the effects of which he was confined in hospital four months; second, at Gettysburg, this time receiving a gun-shot wound in his right arm, which unfitted him for duty until the latter part of August, when he again joined his command. A braver, truer soldier than George M. McPeck never entered the Union ranks.
     After his return from the army, Mr. McPeck felt the need of a better education, and spent two years in attending school at Marysville and Milan and also Oberlin College. Then until 1872 he was engaged in teaching. In 1872 he invested in some land, buying sixty-three acres in York township, to which he subsequently added seventy-six acres, and he farmed this land and also operated his father’s farm, devoting eleven years to agricultural pursuits. He still owns a farm of 223 acres and gives it his personal supervision. In the meantime he began to take an active interest in politics, being a stanch Republican, and in 1883 he was elected to the office of Auditor of Union county, which important position he filled for six years and ten months. While the incumbent of this office he became associated with Mr. Zwerner in the establishment of the electric-light plant in Marysville, to which enterprise he has since given much attention. Later they put in the water-works.   This excellent light and water service is of inestimable value to the citizens of Marysville, and to the enterprise and perseverance of Messrs. McPeck and Zwerner may be attributed its success.
     As has already been stated, Mr. McPeck has for years been active in political affairs. He served as Chairman of the County Republican Committee, and has on various occasions been a delegate to State, Congressional and county conventions. And in fraternal circles he is also prominent and active. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and is Past Commander of his post; belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellow orders, and both he and his wife have received the Rebekah degree.
     Mr. McPeck
resides on West Fifth street and has a pleasant home and an interesting family. He was married May 15, 1877, to Miss Rachel E. Rowe, daughter of David and Catharine Rowe, her native place being Pickaway county, Ohio. They have had five children, —Winfred C., Margaret E., Wilber G., Herbert E., and May Bell. All are living except Margaret E.
     Mrs. McPeck
is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 453-454
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


JOHN B. MILLER, of Irwin Station, Union county, Ohio, is distinctively one of the representative farmers of this section of the Buckeye State, and one who holds conspicuous official preferment as Township Trustee of Union township.
      Mr. Miller is a native son of Ohio, having been born at Rosedale, Madison county, July 20, 1850, the son of James C. Miller, Jr., who is now a resident of Champaign county.  The latter was born at Homer, this State, the son of James C. Miller, Sr., who was a native of the State of New York, where he was born in 1797, coming to Ohio when a young man of seventeen years.  He married Zelenda Burnham, and they became the parents of seven children, namely: Harriet, James C., Zelenda, Lyddart, Eliphas, William Harrison and Rebecca.  They both passed their declining days on the old homestead in Champaign county, where they died, the father living to attain the venerable age of ninety-four years.
      James C. Miller, Jr., father of our subject, was reared and educated in Madison county, where he remained until he attained maturity and where he married Miss Emeline Burnham, a native of Pike township, that county.  She was the daughter of Darius Burnham. The issue of this union was three children, namely: Annette, wife of A. G. Hopkins, of Champaign county; John B., subject of this review; and Frank C., who is also a resident of Union township.  James C. Miller, Jr., was engaged at the blacksmithing trade for many years, but eventually turned his attention to farming and stockraising.  He has been an honorable and successful business man, and is held in highest esteem in the community where he lives, at the age of seventy years.
      John B. Miller grew to maturity on the farm and assisted in the work incidental to its cultivation.  He was afforded excellent educational advantages, attending the public schools at Irwin Station, and then pursuing a course of study at Antioch College, this State.
      In 1890 he took up his residence on his present farmstead, comprising 166 acres, and recognized as one of the finest farms in the township.  The place is particularly well adapted to stockraising, as it has several fine springs and brooks.  The family residence is a modern frame structure of pleasing architectural design, erected at a cost of $2,000, while the place is well equipped with excellent barns and other outbuildings.
     Mr. Miller was united in marriage in 1871 to Miss Mary E. Hopkins, daughter of George and Sarah Hopkins, and four children were born to them: Louis B., Annette M., Harry R., and PearlMrs. Miller was called into eternal rest April 8, 1883, and in 1884 our subject consummated a second marriage, being united to Miss Anna B., a daughter of Michael and Catherine (Hooven) Conner, of Union township.
     In politics Mr. Miller exercises his franchise in the support of the Republican party, and he has been an active worker in the ranks of that organization.  He was elected as Trustee of his township in the present year (1894).  He is a man of much intellectual force, is well informed upon current events, and is enterprising and progressive in his methods.  A man of unimpeachable integrity, he retains the respect and confidence of his fellowmen and stands as one of the leading citizens of the community.

Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 117-118

Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

WILLIAM MILLIGAN, general merchant, Raymond’s, Union county, Ohio, forms the subject of this article.
     Mr. Milligan
is a son of William Milligan, deceased, one of the early settlers of Ohio. The senior William Milligan was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and remained there until 1826, when he came to Ohio. Upon his arrival here he located in Allen township, Union county, where he purchased 200 acres of timber land and where he made his home for four or five years. During his residence at this place he was elected the second Justice of the Peace in the township. About 1833 he moved to Lewisburg. Ohio, and started a tannery. He had learned the trade of tanner before coming to Ohio and had worked at that business for some years in Pennsylvania, and he continued to run his tannery at Lewisburg up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1849, at the age of fifty-eight years. Politically he was a Whig, and, religiously a member of the Christian Church. Of his wife and family we make record as follows: Mrs. Milligan was before her marriage Miss Eliza Palack. She was born in what is now West Virginia, in 1807, and died in Taylorsville, Illinois, at the home of her son William, November 6, 1870. They had seven children, namely: Samuel, who died in Christian county, Illinois; William, whose name heads this sketch; James R., a lumber dealer of Mississippi; Jesse, deceased; Rachael, wife of Charles Powell, resides in Tennessee; Morgan B., a resident of Taylorsville, Illinois; Amos, deceased.
was born in Allen township, Union county, Ohio, January 10, 1833. Until he was fifteen he spent most of his time assisting his father in the tannery, his school advantages being meagre. Then he served an apprenticeship to the trade of carpenter, under Samuel V. Caston, in whose employ he remained two years, after which he worked at the trade in different places for some years. In 1866 he moved to Taylorsville, Illinois, where he was for some time engaged in the grocery business. He purchased, in 1876, 200 acres of land in Liberty township, this county, to which place he removed and where he resided two years. Then he sold out and engaged in the mercantile business at Raymond’s, where he has since remained, with the exception of four years he spent at East Liberty, Ohio, in the same business. He carries a full stock of all kinds of general merchandise and has a large trade that extends for miles into the surrounding country.
     Mr. Milligan
has been twice married. In 1854 he wedded Miss Hope Ann Inskip, daughter of Rev. William Inskip, a Methodist minister. She died about a year after their marriage, and in 1859 Mr. Milligan married Sarah Ann Hemminger, daughter of George Hemminger, of Liberty township, this county. Their family is composed of the following members: Ida Belle, wife of Jacob Orahood, Logan county, Ohio; Franklin E., a merchant and miller of East Liberty, Ohio; and Fannie, Kittie, Sadie, Jessie and Samuel, at home.
     Mr. Milligan
is a stanch Republican. He has held the office of Township Trustee for several years and is its present incumbent. He has also served as a member of the School Board. Socially he is identified with the K. of P. and the F. & A. M., having been a Mason for forty years. He and his family are members of the Disciple Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 214-215
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


CHARLES D. MILLS, M. D., junior member of the professional firm of White & Mills, of Marysville, Union county, Ohio, stands as one of the representative physicians and surgeons of the county, and a record of the lives of the leading professional men of this section of the Buckeye State would be incomplete were there a failure to direct attention to him whose name forms the caption of this review.
     Dr. Mills
was born at Logan, Hocking county, Ohio, November 30, 1857, a son of Dr. George B. and Priscilla (Bright) Mills. The father was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, his native village being the old town of Lakawaxen, on the Delaware river. He was the sun of Isaac Mills, who emigrated from Connecticut to Pennsylvania in an early day. Dr. George B. Mills is a graduate of Starling Medical College, at Columbus, and for many years has been engaged in practice in Fairfield county, Ohio, where he still resides, being one of the oldest and most honored physicians of the county and still being called upon to continue his professional work in the community where his ministrations have so long been appreciated. While he was still a mere lad his mother died and after this he was sent to live with an uncle who was engaged in farming. Attaining mature years he began his independent career by engaging in railroad construction, ultimately securing the position as superintendent of the work and thus continuing for some time. While thus employed he met and eventually wedded Miss Priscilla, daughter of Rev. S. S. Bright, of Hocking county. For many years she continued his faithful helpmate and companion. Subsequent to his marriage Dr. Mills began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of the venerable Dr. Hufford, thereafter completing the prescribed course of study at Starling Medical College, at which he was duly graduated. He began the practice of his profession in Hocking county, but soon afterward removed to Dumontville, Fairfield county, where he has ever since maintained his residence. He is a man of marked individuality and force of character, steadfast in his sturdy rectitude, and generous and sympathetic in nature. Naturally strong in his convictions, he has ever been an ardent and active Republican, and during the civil war he served as acting Assistant Surgeon.
     He is identified with the Masonic and Odd Fellows’ orders. Of his four children we give individual mention as follows: Charles D. is the direct subject of this sketch; Louisa A. and Samuel S. are deceased; and Carrie B. is the wife of Rev. William Mather, of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     Charles D. Mills
was afforded exceptional educational privileges in his youth, attending the public schools during his boyhood days and thereafter entering the Fairfield Union Academy, where he graduated with the Centennial class, in 1876. He then began teaching school and reading medicine with his father, having determined to gain, as it were, a professional inheritance from his honored parent. He matriculated at the Medical College of Ohio, in Cincinnati, graduating at this well-known institution in 1880. Of his post-graduate work it may be incidentally noted at this point that, in 1890, he went to Chicago, where he took a special course of study and clinical work touching the nature and treatment of chronic diseases, this course being secured under the direction of Professor Pratt, the well-known specialist in the line mentioned.
     After his graduation Dr. Mills engaged in practice at Pleasantville, Fairfield county, where he remained until 1891, having secured a representative patronage. In 1891, he came to Marysville, and formed a professional partnership with Dr. White, with whom he has since been associated. Their office is located on Court street, opposite the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Mills has here devoted himself to general practice, is skilled in his profession, keeping pace with advances made in the medical science and thoroughly in touch with the most approved methods of treatment. As a student in his profession he has aimed to excel, and when graduating he received the Professor Connor prize for proficiency in surgical anatomy, coming into competition with a class of 100 aspirants. This fact bears unequivocal evidence of his labors and precedence in that branch of professional acquirement. While in practice at Pleasantville he taught the class in physiology at the college there located.
     Politically the Doctor is identified with the Republican party, and fraternally with the Free and Accepted Masons and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In the latter order he is Past Grand and is also a member of the Encampment; in the former he is a member of Palestine Lodge and of Lancaster Chapter, of which last he is Past Master. Socially our subject is also a member of the Marysville Choral Union, of which he was one of the organizers and in connection with which he gives no little attention to musical matters and cultivation.
     The marriage of the Doctor was celebrated at Pleasantville, Ohio, December 14, 1882, when he was united to Miss Ella A., daughter of Captain James and Margaret Stewart, of that place. Dr. and Mrs. Mills have had five children: Leora, deceased; Carrie F.; George S., deceased; Mary M. and Clarence D.
     Our subject and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Marysville, the Doctor being a member of the Board of Trustees. The pleasant family home is located on Sixth street.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 431-433
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


G. D. MITCHELL, one of the prominent men of Union township, Union county, Ohio, was born in Milford Centre, this county, October 15, 1834, son of John Mitchell, one of the well-known early settlers of the township.
     John Mitchell
was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, November 18, 1800. His father, also named John, died when the younger John was a small boy. The Mitchells are of Irish descent. Our subject’s father spent the first eighteen years of his life on a farm in his native county. Then he came to Highland county, Ohio, where he was subsequently married to Susanna Kingery, a native of Virginia and a descendant of German ancestors. Some time after their marriage, they came to Union county and located at Milford Centre. Later they removed to a farm near the one now owned and occupied by G. D. Mitchell, where they resided until 1882, when they sold out and removed to Marysville, Ohio. There they spent the residue of their lives and died, Mr. Mitchell being eighty-two at the time of death and Mrs. Mitchell eighty-five. By trade he was a hatter, which he followed in early life, but later gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. Religiously they were Presbyterians; politically he was a Democrat. Of their eight children record is made as follows: Ross, an ex-Postmaster and farmer in Illinois; John, of Anderson county, Kansas; William B., a member of the Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was killed at Peach Orchard; Mary Ellen King, of Marysville, Ohio; James, of Marysville; G. D., whose name heads this article; Isabelle, of Marysville, and Susan Ivy Goff, also of Marysville. All had good educational advantages, and two of the sons—Ross and John—were teachers.
     G. D. Mitchell
was reared on his father’s farm, and, with the exception of six months, has spent the whole of his life in Union township. He owns a good farm of 124 acres, well improved with good buildings, and everything kept up in first-class order.
     Mr. Mitchell
was married October 28, 1857, at Unionville Centre, this county, to Sarah C. Converse, who was born near Plain City, Madison county, Ohio, and who, previous to her marriage, was a popular and successful teacher. Her father, Caleb H. Converse, a native of Vermont, was for many years engaged in teaching in this county, where he is well known and highly respected. He is now a resident of Unionville and is eighty-four years of age. His wife, née Levisa Ketch, was born in Madison county, Ohio, and died at the age of seventy years. They had eleven children, eight of whom reached maturity, namely: Lewis, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Nathan, of Delaware county, Ohio; Obel, of Allen township, this county; Sarah C.; Orson P., an attorney of London, Ohio; J. Q., of Plain City, Ohio; B. W., of Unionville, Ohio, and Jennie Smith, of Marysville, Ohio. Those who died in childhood were: Martha, Emma and Walter.
     Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell
have five children: Elsie J., wife of Simon Boyd, of Marysville, Ohio; James W., married Ella Predmore and now resides at Broadway, Ohio; William B., married Ollie Blake, and is now an artist at La Rue, Ohio; George R. married Etta McCliment and settled on the home place, and Guy D., at hone.
     Mr. Mitchell
affiliates with the Democratic party, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. Both he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 215-216
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


JOHN ANDREW MOODIE. —The good old Scotch name which the subject of this sketch bears is one that has, in its several collateral branches, been identified in a conspicuous way with the history and development of various sections of the Union, and in this line his father gained distinction as one of the early pioneers of the Buckeye State. All these circumstances lend a particular consistency to the incorporation of a brief history of the life of John Andrew Moodie, who is himself an honored resident and successful farmer of Union township, Union county, Ohio, where he was born (on the old Webb farm) July 7, 1833.
     His father was Henry Moodie, who was born in Culpeper county, Virginia, the son of Roger Moodie, whose parents were natives of bonny Scotland. Roger Moodie was a native of Maryland, where his ancestors took up their residence in the Colonial days. He became a pioneer of this county, coming here at a very early day, and taking up his residence on a tract of wild land in Union township, where settlers were few and far between, and when the forests were still given over to the dominion of Indians and wild beasts.
     Henry Moodie
was reared on the frontier farm, and recived [sic] such educational advantages as the pioneer settlement afforded, attending to his studies in the old log schoolhouse with its slab seats and primitive equipments. He married Elizabeth Moodie, who was born in 1812, a native of Virginia and the daughter of John A. Moodie, who was called out for service in the war of 1812, but who participated in no battle, as the victory had been gained ere he reached the scene of action. He was a half-brother of Roger Moodie, paternal grandfather of our subject.
     In 1834 Henry Moodie and his wife took up their residence on a tract of fifty acres, in Union township, the same being still unreclaimed and heavily timbered. Wolves, deer, turkey and ’coons were yet abundant, but soon the forest aisles re-echoed the sturdy blows of his ax, which felled the trees and made way for the cultivated fields. He developed a good farm, but did not live to enjoy the same, death coming to him in the prime of life, —at the age of forty-two years. He left to the care of his bereaved widow three children: John A., subject of this sketch; Aaron Gilmore, who died at the old homestead; and Mrs. Nancy Spratt, of Richwood, this county. The mother subsequently consummated a second marriage, being united to Moses Blake. She is still living, at the venerable age of eighty-two years. The father of our subject was a Democrat in his political faith, was a consistent member of the Christian Church, and was a man honored by all who knew him.
     John Andrew Moodie
was reared on the old home farm in Union township, and early became enured to the sturdy labor required in its operation. He received his educational discipline in the district school near his home and duly profited by the meager instructions there meted out.
     He was one of the brave boys who bore arms at the time of the late war of the Rebellion, enlisting, in May, 1864, for the 100 days’ service, as a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. During his term of service he was stationed at Alexandria, Virginia, and at its expiration he was honorably discharged, after which he returned to his home in this county.
     Mr. Moodie
was married April 2, 1863, to Sarah Emily Dawson, who was born in Pickaway county, this State, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (James) Dawson. Mrs. Moodie is a devoted member of the Christian Church.
     Mr. Moodie
is a member of Silas Kimball Post, No. 570, G. A. R., of Milford Centre. He is a man of intelligence, is fair and honorable in his dealings, and enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him.
     He has a good farm and the same is cultivated with much care and discrimination, thereby rendering tangible returns for the thought and labor expended. The family residence is a substantial frame structure, and other permanent improvements about the place are of excellent order.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 429-430
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


ABRAHAM MOREY. —A man whose residence in the county dates back nearly an half century, and whose identification with the business interests of Marysville has been conspicuous and continuous during nearly all this entire period, is certainly deserving of marked recognition in a work whose province is the epitomized detailing of the life histories of the representative citizens of Union county. Such are the elements that render consonant the incorporation of the biography of the venerable pioneer whose name initiates this review, —a man who, though past the mark of three-score years and ten, still retains his place among the most prominent business men of the flourishing little city which has been his home for so many years.
     The genealogical records extant show that our subject is of German extraction, his grandfather, William Morey, having been born in that section which defines the border line between France and Germany. It is a peculiar and interesting fact that the type of individual native to Alsace-Lorraine and other provinces along the border between the two countries named is wont to exhibit in his make-up the mental attributes of both nationalities, —the quick observative faculties characteristic of the volatile French and the more solid and pragmatic temperament of the German. This blending or assimilation produces a type whose individuality is perhaps stronger and more potential than that of either of the primogenial factors. That these traits, modified by circumstances and environment, are transmitted through succeeding generations is shown when a thorough study is made, and in the mental characteristics of our subject the dual elements are still in evidence.
     William Morey
took unto himself a wife in the person of a petite lady of the Hessian stock and they reared a large family of children, —six daughters and four sons. The father was a saddler and harness-maker by trade and followed this vocation during his early life. He was ingenious in a mechanical line, and even after he had turned his attention to farming he continued to bring his trade into use in connection with his agricultural pursuits, making his own harness and also erecting on his farm a forge, where he did his own blacksmithing. After his marriage he emigrated to the United States and located in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he remained for a number of years, after which he moved to Carroll county, Maryland, where he lived but a short time and then returned to the old Keystone State, purchasing a farm in Perry county and eventually erecting thereon a large stone residence, which continued to be the family home for many years and which is still standing. The farm was located on Sherman’s creek and the father and mother retained their residence there until all their children had grown to maturity and left home. Mr. Morey then sold the place and came to Ohio, locating on a farm in Trumbull county, where he passed his declining days. He died about 1840, at the advanced age of eighty-three years, his wife passing away a few months later at about the same age. They were members of the Lutheran Church and Mr. Morey was a most zealous and active worker in the same. He was a man of marked intelligence and enterprise, and during his long and useful life he retained the respect and esteem of all who knew him.
     The father of our subject was Jacob Morey, who was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and reared on the old paternal homestead in his native State. Attaining maturity he was married, in Perry county, to Miss Barbara Jacobs, a native of York county, Pennsylvania. They came to Ohio with their family of seven children, in 1836, and settled in Delaware county, where Mr. Morey purchased a farm of fifty-six acres, located on the Scioto river, five miles west of the city of Delaware. He was a model farmer and a successful business man, his name being held in high honor in the community where so many years of his life were passed. Politically he was an unswerving Democrat and religiously a member of the Lutheran Church. He died at the old home in Delaware county, at the venerable age of ninety years; and his widow died at the age of ninety-two, the family having been, through many successive generations, one of extreme longevity.
     Jacob and Barbara Morey
reared a family of ten children, six sons and four daughters, concerning whom we offer the following epitomized record: Abraham, direct subject of this review; David, who went to California during the memorable gold excitement of 1849, is a resident of San Bernardino county, that State, and is prominently concerned in the mining and fruit-growing industries of that favored section; Hester is the wife of William Felkner, of Delaware county, this State; Elizabeth, widow of Rev. Alvin Rose, of Findley, Ohio; Jacob and William, twins, the former of whom is deceased, the latter residing on the old homestead in Delaware county; Israel is a resident of Delaware county and is Postmaster at White Sulphur station; Mary and John are deceased; Catherine is the wife of Benjamin Wollen, of Delaware county.
     Our subject, Abraham Morey, was born at the old homestead in Perry county, Pennsylvania, July 21, 1822, and his boyhood days were passed on the farm and in attendance at the district schools. At the age of eighteen years he went from his home in Delaware county to Columbus, the capital of the State, and devoted himself to the learning of the cabinet-maker’s trade, remaining there for a period of eight years, and then, in 1848, coming to Marysville, which has since continued to be his home. In the same year was consummated his marriage to Miss Abbie B., daughter of Dr. S. F. Kinney, one of the early and prominent physicians of Marysville. Soon after his arrival here Mr. Morey formed a co-partnership with Mr. John Ressler for the prosecution of the cabinet-making business, our subject being the practical man of the firm. After one year the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Morey opened a shop of his own, meeting with consistent success in his work. Later on he purchased a lot west of the public square, and here erected a building, in which he placed the necessary machinery, and. began manufacturing upon a more extensive scale, the principal output of the establishment being cane-seated chairs. He continued this industry until the dark cloud of war spread its gruesome pall over a divided nation, when he closed his establishment, and, with patriotic ardor, gave himself to the work of recruiting troops, doing most effective service. He was also a member of the band, and in this way his attention was constantly demanded, for the inspiriting music proved an important element in those days when the nation was issuing its call for loyal and valiant soldiers.
     In 1866, after the close of the war, Mr. Morey again turned his attention to his business enterprise, erecting a large wareroom adjoining his factory and preparing to push the industry to the utmost. He finally determined, however, that the establishment was too far removed from the business center; and accordingly he leased a lot more eligibly located, and moved the building onto the same. Here he put in a select stock of furniture and began to do a more purely retail business, also continuing the undertaking branch, which had been a feature of the enterprise from the time of its inception. He is distinctively the oldest undertaker in the county, and in the connection it is interesting to recall the circumstance that, in the early days when the functions of the skilled artisan had not yet been usurped by mechanical devices, he manufactured all the coffins utilized in his business. The business flourished and showed a consecutive increase in volume as the years passed and the town received new increments in population, honorable methods and fair dealing having been distinctive features of the enterprise from the start to the present day. In 18— Mr. Morey admitted his son Charles to a working interest in the business, and this association continued for a number of years; in 1880 his eldest son, Henry W., was admitted to partnership, and to his charge was committed the practical supervision of the now conspicuous enterprise.
     Mr. and Mrs. Morey
have a family of five children, namely: Henry W., who is connected with the furniture business; Charles D., who has the supervision of the undertaking branch of the enterprise; William M. F., a salesman in the establishment; Albert H., who is a prominent dentist of Marysville; and Estella, wife of Thomas H. Flower, of Albion, Pennsylvania.
     Our subject and his family are connected with the Congregational Church, Mr. Morey having been for many years an official in the local organization and a most active worker in the Sunday-school. In politics our subject casts his ballot with the Republican party, with which he has been stanchly arrayed for many years. Fraternally he has been a member of Marysville Lodge, No. 87, I. O. O. F., since 1848; is a charter member of Marysville Encampment, No. 114; and a charter member of the local lodge of the Order of Red Men. All of his sons, except Henry W., are identified with the Odd Fellows.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 464-467
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

J. P. Morse

J. P. MORSE. ––It now becomes our privilege to touch briefly upon the life history of one who stands forth as one of the representative farmers of Union township, Union county, and one who enjoys a most marked popularity by reason of his genial and sympathetic nature.  He was one of the valiant boys who went forth in his nation’s defense at the time of the late civil war, and his military record is one that remains to his perpetual honor.
     He was born on the farm where he now lives, ––the old paternal homestead, ––December 28, 1839, the son of the late Ray G. Morse, who was one of Union county’s prosperous, influential and popular citizens for many years.  Ray G. Morse was a native of Coventry township, Kent county, Rhode Island, his birthplace being in the vicinity of the city of Providence.  The date of his nativity was November 16, 1808, and he was a son of Joseph Morse, who was also a native of the Union’s most diminutive State, and a descendent of one of the most prominent old families of that commonwealth.  When Ray G. had attained the age of ten years his parents determined to seek their fortunes and establish a new home in the West, and accordingly they set forth with an ox wagon to traverse the long stretch of wild country lying between their Eastern home and the State of Ohio.  With this primitive and unpretentious equipage the journey was made in the dead of wintre [sic] and was not completed until forty-nine days had elapsed, when they reached their destination at Rice City, a little settlement in the vicinity of the present thriving village of Milford Center, this county.  Here they established their home and here passed the residue of their days, both parents having been laid to rest in the section which marked the scene of their early endeavors in clearing away the forests and aiding in the development of the county to its present position of prosperity.  Though their son, the father of our subject, was but a mere child at the time the eventful overland journey from the East was accomplished, yet he remembered almost every detail of the same until the hour of his dissolution.
     Ray G. passed his youthful days at the parental home in this county, and finally engaged himself to serve an apprenticeship at the blacksmith’s trade, serving five years under Colonel Fairfield, who was one of the prominent men of Milford Center in that early day.  He became an expert artisan in working iron and steel and by sturdy efforts at the forge he acquired the funds with which to purchase his farm, that which our subject now cultivates.  April 17, 1838, he took up his residence on his place, settling in the woods, where he built a log cabin and made a home for his family, and then set himself the arduous task of felling the forest monarchs and preparing the soil for the plow.  This place was his home until the time of his demise, and he lived there for more than an half century, being thus permitted to enjoy the full recompense for the indefatigable toil which had been his in reclaiming the farm.  His death occurred December 10, 1893, at which time he had attained the venerable age of eighty-five years and twenty-four days.  In the fulness [sic] of years was thus gathered to his fathers one whose life had been one of activity and usefulness and one whose name will be held in lasting honor by all to whom remains the knowledge of his sturdy rectitude and noble character.  His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Parthemor, and to whom he was united December 20, 1830, died July 10, 1888, at the advanced age of eighty-four years and eleven months.
     They reared a family of six children, of whom we make record as follows: William A., a resident of Madison county, Ohio; George Nelson, who died in this township, in 1874; Clara J., wife of David McCloud, of this township; Joseph, a retired farmer living at Marysville, the county seat, was an active participant in the late war of the Rebellion; John P., subject of this review; Ray G., a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the war, now resides at Marysville.
     John P. Morse was reared to maturity on the old homestead and contributed his share toward its reclamation and improvement, learning the trade of blacksmith at home under the capable direction of his honored father, and securing his educational discipline in the district schools.  Like his father, he is an expert workman at the blacksmith trade, to which he devoted his attention for a number of years.
     During the war of the Rebellion he rendered his quota toward the defending of his country’s honor, serving loyally and valiantly.  On the 22d of June, 1863, he enlisted as a member of Company B, Eighty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until February, 1864, when he was honorably discharged.  Within this time he had re-enlisted as a member of the First Ohio Heavy Artillery, but was forthwith returned to his old regiment.
     At the age of thirty-one years Mr. Morse joined hand and heart with Miss Mary J. Mitchell, who was born in Darby township, this county, the daughter of David and Elizabeth Mitchell, honored and prominent residents of this section.  Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell were the parents of eight children, to wit: Arvilla, wife of J. D. Morse; Preston, deceased; Fanny, wife of Dalton Peters; Alice, wife of F. A. Andrews; Martha; Alexander Scott; Rosa, wife of Hubert Worthington; and Mary J., wife of our subject.
     Mr. and Mrs. Morse have five children: George Nelson; Renua Alice, who graduated from the Milford Center high school in 1893 and who is now a popular and successful teacher; John M.; Ruby A.; and Cassius William.  One child, Sarah E., the second born, died in infancy.
     Mr. Morse has always been firmly arrayed in the support of the Republican party and its principles, and has been an active worker in the local organization of the same, having held preferment as Constable for a term of five years.  He has been a member of the School Board for more than a score of years, and has ever maintained a lively interest in educational work.  Fraternally, he is identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, retaining a membership in Silas Kimball Post, No. 570, of Milford Center.
     Our subject’s farm, the old family homestead, comprises 200 acres and is thoroughly well improved and under most effective cultivation.  The residence is a substantial and commodious frame structure, pleasantly located, and other permanent improvements include a good barn, a modern wind-engine for supplying water for farm and domestic uses, and all necessary outbuildings, while in all quarters is there unmistakable evidence of the discriminating attention given to the operation of a fine farmstead.
     In his personality our subject is jovial and filled with good humor and hospitality.  He has a keen relish for the funny side of life and the neighborhood abounds in tales of his humorous sayings and doings.  Frank and courteous and never denying a true sympathy, it is doubtful whether any man can dispute for the palm of popularity in the community with J. P. Morse
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 226-228
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


THEODORE L. MULLEN, who successfully conducts a livery, sale and feed stable, on Plum street, Marysville, Ohio, deserves recognition among the representative business men of the city, and accordingly a place in this volume. He was born in Marysville, October 18, 1843, son of Charles and Sarah (Bancroft) Mullen, both of whom are now deceased, the death of the mother occurring in 1850 and that of the father in 1882.
     Theodore Mullen
passed his boyhood days in his native place, attending the public schools until he had attained the age of fourteen years, when he secured employment in a woolen mill in this place and there continued to be employed until the cloud of war darkened the national horizon. His patriotism was fired and he determined to go forth in defense of the stars and stripes. With this end in view he made his preparations, walked from Marysville to Columbus, the capital city of the State, and there enlisted as a member of Company B, Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the date of his enlistment being March 26, 1862. He forthwith went to the front with his regiment, and the records show that he participated in several of the decisive and most hotly contested battles of the great civil war. He served in the Army of the Potomac, and among the engagements in which he took part may be mentioned the following: Second battle of Bull Run, August 30, 1862; Fredericksburg, November 9 to 16, 1862; Gettysburg, July 1, 1863; Mission Ridge, and Lookout Mountain, in November of the same year; and Dallas or New Hope Church, Georgia, where he was wounded in the night and was taken prisoner while being conveyed to the hospital at Chattanooga. He was, however, paroled the succeeding day and sent to Nashville, Tennessee, where he remained until convalescent, when he was transferred to Columbus, this State, and was there discharged, in December, 1864. His wound was a severe one, and he still suffers from the effects of the same, which has never healed. For gallant and meritorious service at the battle of Gettysburg he was promoted to the office of Corporal, and as such was discharged from the service.
     After the close of the war he returned to his home in Marysville and once more assumed his position in the woolen mill, where he remained for a number of years, the manufactory being operated by James W. and Col. Aaron B. Robinson, who are still honored residents of Marysville. In June, 1881, he engaged in the livery business, in company with J. B. Robinson, and this association continued about four years, when our subject purchased his partner’s interest and has since conducted the enterprise upon his own responsibility, giving his entire attention to the same, which is now one of the best in point of equipments that the city can boast, and one whose supporting patronage is of representative order.
     Politically Mr. Mullen is identified with the Republican party, and fraternally he retains a membership in Marysville Lodge, No. 100, Knights of Pythias, and Ransom Reed Post, No. 113, G. A. R. Mr. Mullen has erected four residences in Marysville, his own home being eligibly located on Seventh street.
     He was married, in 1867, to Miss Lydia Jewell, daughter of Samuel S., deceased, who was one of the representative men of the county. Our subject and his wife are the parents of one child, Edward A.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 136-137
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


JAMES H. MYERS, who is an honored and substantial farmer in Dover township, Union county, Ohio, is a native of that township and still retains his residence upon the old homestead of his nativity, the same having been purchased by his father in 1847.
     James H. Myers
was born February 18, 1847, the son of John and Hannah (Winn) Myers. He passed his boyhood days in assisting his father on the farm and in attending the district schools and thus continued the even tenor of his ways until he had attained the age of twenty years, when his youthful enthusiasm was enkindled, as the dark cloud of war spread its gruesome pall over the nation, and he enlisted for services in the Union army, enlisting in December, 1864, as a member of Company F, Sixty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, remaining in the ranks until June 25, 1865, when he was mustered out.
     He served with his regiment, which subsequently participated in several of the more notable conflicts which marked the progress of the Union forces toward ultimate victory. Our subject, however, remained at the front but a short time, when he was transferred to the Eighteenth Battalion, Veteran Reserve Corps, and was assigned duty as guard over rebel prisoners at Camp Dennison, Cincinnati, during a portion of the time acting as Orderly.
     After the close of the war he returned to the old homestead and once more devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. After his marriage he devoted his attention to the operation of the old homestead, which is still in his possession, he having purchased the interests of the other heirs to the estate. Mr. and Mrs. Myers became the parents of six children, of whom we offer the following record: Memphis M. received his education in Marysville and Dover, this county, after which he taught the school in the home district for several terms: he is now engaged in farming, having purchased of his father, in the spring of the present year (1894) a small farm contiguous to the original homestead; Milo; James I.; Irwin; Glennie and Asa.
     Mr. Myers
has a fine farm of 120 acres, lying two miles northeast of the village of New Dover, and upon the same he erected, in 1877, a fine brick residence of modern and most effective architecture and situated upon a most eligible building site, the place being attractively set in the midst of a fine grove of young maple trees. In his fraternal relations our subject is identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, retaining a membership in Ransom Reed Post, of Marysville. He is a man of marked intelligence, and has held local preferments of note, his influence in the community being strongly evidenced in all matters of public nature. He has been a member of the School Board of the district, and within that time was a prime factor in securing to the township its fine high-school building. In politics he is strongly arrayed in the support of the Republican party and its principles.
     John Myers
, father of our subject, came to this county in 1830, locating in that part of Dover township which is still known as the Myers settlement, where he purchased a small farm, upon which he continued to reside until 1847, when he effected the purchase of the place upon which his son James now lives. John Myers was born March 1, 1812, and his wife, who was a native of Ross county, Ohio, was born June 4th of the same year. Both parents are deceased. John Myers was a plasterer and broom-maker by trade, and he gave considerable attention to work in these lines of occupation in addition to carrying on the work of his farm, his services being in much demand in the most diverse sections of the county.
     John and Hannah Myers
became the parents of seven children, concerning whom we are permitted to offer the following brief record: Mary is the widow of the late Jesse Cumber, who served in the late war as a member of Company F, Sixty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry: they had five children; William M. was a member of the same company as was our subject and was taken prisoner at Chickamauga and confined in Andersonville prison, where he died after enduring the horrors of that famous Confederate “stock-pen” for nine weary months; Joseph K. was also a member of Company F. and served from the time of his enlistment, in 1861, until the close of the war, participating in the grand review at the national capital: he died in 1891; Anna became the wife of Ralph Slack, her death occurring in 1884; James is the immediate subject of this review; Samuel, who resides in Dover township, married Alice Lee, and they have five children; Jehu married Elizabeth Parrott, a native of Wiltshire. England, and they are the parents of three children; Adam C. married Lily Perkins, and is engaged in farming in this county.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 482-484
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights