A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Union County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio
- Illustrated -
Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company,



EVAN SHAW, whose post-office address is Marysville, Ohio, is one of the respected farmers of his community and is a member of one of the prominent families of Union county.
      Mr. Shaw
was born in Maryland, December 8, 1840, son of Harrison and Ann (Hutchins) Shaw, natives of Maryland, the father of Scotch descent. In 1843 the Shaw family came west to Ohio, making the journey with teams and bringing with them their household goods. That winter they spent at Marysville, and in the spring they located what is now known as the Dines farm, north of Marysville. Later on they removed to Paris township and took up their abode on a farm located near the new turnpike, remaining there until 1860, when they removed to another farm in the same township, but located on the Kenton road, and there the parents passed the residue of their lives. The father died December 28, 1885, at the age of seventy-two years, the mother having passed away fifteen months before, at the age of seventy-five. They had nine children, of whom seven reached maturity, namely: Amanda Beard, Emily Wiley, Morgan, Evan, Oliver, Hutchins and Mary Knutts. Mary is one of triplets, the other two dying in infancy. While in Maryland, the father of this family kept a tavern, but after coming to Ohio he gave his attention to farming and stock-raising. By trade he was a blacksmith. The mother was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and both were most highly respected and esteemed for their many excellent qualities.
     Evan Shaw
was three years old at the time they emigrated from Maryland to this State, and on his father’s farm he grew up, receiving his education in the common schools and in the practical school of experience. When he was twenty-four he left the parental home, married, and settled in Taylor township. In 1881 he came to his present farm in Liberty township. Here he has ninety acres of choice land and is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. His farm is well improved with comfortable residence and other good farm buildings, and here he is surrounded with all the comforts of life, his earnest efforts being attended with merited success.
      Mr. Shaw
was married January 29, 1865, in Taylor township, this county, to Maria Jane Coder, who was born in Paris township, Union county, Ohio, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Hamilton) Coder. She is the oldest of a family of five children, the others being: Simon, James, Joanna, Emily C. Her parents also have an adopted son, D. H. McCormack, who still lives with them. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw have nine children, as follows: Martha E., Arthur, Anna L., Jacob W., Harrison, Mary Ida, Jennie, Eva, and Georgia. All are at home except Martha E., who is the wife of a Mr. Gourman and who lives in Paris township, this county.
     Like his father before him, Mr. Shaw is Democratic in his political views.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 386-387
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


SHELTON & FORD is the name of one of the well-known mercantile firms of Broadway. Under this style, business has been conducted since September, 1890, at which time the present firm succeeded to the business of Shelton Brothers, who established the store in January, 1888. They carry a full line of dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, clothing, groceries, hardware and farm implements. The firm is composed of C. D. Shelton and L. C. Ford, who are numbered among the leading business men of Union county. In 1892, in company with P. V. Burson, they began dealing in baled hay and straw, of which they now handle a large amount, having built up an extensive business. They have secured suitable barns and storage room, and the combined mercantile and hay and straw sales amount to $45,000 annually. In the store alone the sales reach $20,000 annually. In 1888 C. D. and J. E. Shelton bought out the mercantile establishment of J. W. Smith, and began business with a small stock. They borrowed the money for the purchase, but within a year the indebtedness was paid off and a large and constantly increasing trade was secured. The success has continued with the establishment, and Shelton & Ford are now among the leading merchants of Broadway.
     Mr. Shelton
, the senior member, was born in Bourneville, Ross county, Ohio, October 2, 1859, and is a son of W. T. and Jane A. (Flora) Shelton, the former a native of Pike county, and the latter of Ross county, Ohio. They were, however, descended from old families of Kentucky and Virginia respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit throughout his entire life. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. For a time they resided in Fayette county, Ohio, and in April, 1876, they came to Broadway, where the father’s death occurred on the 17th of January, 1888, at the age of forty-four years. The mother is still living in Broadway. Their family numbered ten children, eight of whom are yet living, namely: Charles D.; John E., a furniture dealer and undertaker of this place; Hannah, wife of D. J. Sanderson, a resident farmer of Union county; Mary F., wife of Frank Stevens, an agriculturist of Champaign county, Ohio; Grant T., who is living in Broadway; Jennie; William T., and Bert J., all of whom are yet at home.
     Charles D. Shelton
spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon his father’s farm and acquired his education in the common schools of the neighborhood. He entered upon his business career in the winter of 1880, as a salesman in the general mercantile store owned by J. J. Watts, of Broadway. That gentleman was his employer during the four succeeding years, and when Mr. Watts sold out to Fisher & Son, he continued with the new firm for one year, then moved to Marysville, but after six months came to Broadway, where our subject has since carried on business.
     On the 7th of April, 1885, Mr. Shelton led to the marriage altar Miss Freelove Bault, a native of Union county, and a daughter of John and Susan Bault. They now have two daughters, Clara and Flora. When twenty-two years of age, Mr. Shelton was elected Township Treasurer, a position which he held for two years. He was then called to the office of Township Clerk and is still serving in that capacity in a most creditable and acceptable manner. He is one of the founders of the first Methodist Episcopal Church erected at Broadway and is very prominent in religious work. At this writing he is serving as Trustee of the church and Superintendent of the Sunday-school, and the cause of Christianity finds in him an able supporter. Socially he is connected with the Odd Fellows’ society. He is a charter member of the lodge in Broadway, belongs to Richwood Encampment, No. 185, in which he has filled all the offices, and for two years he has served as District Deputy Grand Master. In his political views he is a Republican. Mr. Shelton is emphatically one of the most progressive young business men of Union county, and in the history of this community he well deserves representation.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 359-360
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


JOHN H. SHIRK, of Marysville, Ohio, was born in York township, Union county, this State, May 15, 1840, son of Aaron and Rosemond (Tobey) Shirk, natives, respectively, of Hardy county, Virginia, and Saratoga county, New York, the father of German descent and the mother of English.
     Aaron Shirk
was born June 12, 1810, and when he was a boy came from Virginia to Ohio with his parents, John and Sarah (Brake) Shirk, their first settlement being in Ross county. About 1817 they came to Union county and settled in Liberty township on what was known as the old Joshua Judy farm, where they remained for a few years. John Shirk then bought a tract of 700 acres of wild land, two miles west of Newton, in the same township, where he made permanent settlement, and where he died about 1864, at the age of eighty-seven years, his wife having died earlier. He was a member of the Disciple Church, and donated the ground on which to erect a church. He and his wife had fourteen children, Aaron being the second. Aaron Shirk was reared on the farm, but worked at the trade of shoemaker the most of his life. He owned a good farm in York township, on which he settled after his marriage, about 1831, and where he spent the rest of his life. He was one of the first settlers of York township, and in his log cabin was held the first election of the township, he casting the first vote, and being elected Constable. When a boy he assisted in cutting timber from off the Public Square of Marysville. He was a great reader, a public-spirited man, a Republican, and a member of the Baptist Church, and he passed to his reward January 17, 1887, his wife having preceded him by some three years. They had a family of five children, viz.: Sarah Ann, Hannah R., Herman T., John H. and Malinda.
     John H
., the subject of this article, is the only one of the family now living. He was reared on his father’s farm and helped to clear and improve it, and he may be considered a self-educated man as his facilities for schooling in early life were limited. He remained at home until he attained his majority, when he rented land and engaged in farming on his own account. April 5, 1862, he married Miss Phoebe Hornbeck, a native of Madison county, Ohio. Mr. Shirk rented his father-in-law’s farm for three years, two before his marriage and one after, and he then took charge of his own father’s farm, which he operated until May, 1864. At that time he enlisted in the three months’ service, as a member of Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out September 1, 1864. He then re-enlisted, becoming a member of Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was on duty until he was mustered out, September 1, 1865, at Winchester, Virginia, as Corporal.
     The war over, Mr. Shirk returned to York township and bought a small farm adjoining his father’s, and operated both places until 1873, when he traded his land for an interest in a grist and saw mill at York Centre. In 1876 he closed out his milling business there and went to Mount Victory, Hardin county, Ohio, where he continued milling for four years, at the end of that time returning to Union county and again settling in York township. A year later he came to Marysville. Here for two years he was with the Robinson & Curry Company, and the following two years was in the warehouse business. Then he was elected Street Commissioner, which office he filled four years. Since that time he has not been engaged in any active business, and is living retired in his comfortable home on Fifth street. While in York township he officiated for twelve years as Constable, and in Marysville he has served six years in this office. He is a member of Ransom Reed Post, No. 113, G. A. R., and was one of the charter members of the G. A. R. post at Mount Victory.
     Mr. Shirk
’s wife died April 5, 1876, leaving two children: Lillian M., wife of J. W. Greiner, of Marysville: and Henry A., also of this city.
      September 27, 1878, Mr. Shirk married Miss Emma Garner, his present companion, a native of Knox county, Ohio.
      In concluding this sketch of Mr. Shirk and his ancestry, we make reference to a little incident in the life of his grandfather, John Shirk, and although a little incident, it serves to show the character of the man, —and of such an ancestor his descendants may well be proud.
      John Shirk
was one of the most prosperous and wealthy farmers in his settlement, and always had plenty of corn on hand. One day one of his well-to-do neighbors, Joshua Judy, drove up to Mr. Shirk’s with a four horse team and asked if he had corn to sell, saying he understood it was twenty-five cents per bushel. “Yes,” replied Mr. Shirk. “Well,” said Mr. Judy, “I will take all you have.” “Have you got the money, Joshua?” asked Mr. Shirk, to which he answered “Yes.” And, looking out, Mr. Shirk continued, “You have a good team.” “Yes.” “Well Joshua, I guess you can drive further on, as you have a good team and the money, and I will keep my corn for those who have no team and no money.”
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 315-317
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


WILLIAM H. SIDEBOTTOM, principal of the Milford Centre schools, was born in Mount Pleasant, Jefferson county, Ohio, December 31, 1852, son of John H. and Eliza (Taylor) Sidebottom.
     Mr. Sidebottom
traces his ancestry back to the English and Welsh. His grandfather, John Sidebottom, came from Oldham, England, to America when he was seventeen years of age, and located at Winchester, Virginia. There he formed the acquaintance of Elizabeth Drake, a descendant of Sir Francis Drake, which acquaintance ripened into love and resulted in an elopement, the young couple coming West and settling in the Quaker town of Mount Pleasant. Here they enjoyed a long and happy married life, and celebrated their golden wedding. He died at the age of ninety-three and she at ninety-five. By trade he was a weaver, weaving blankets and carrying them across the mountains to market. Prior to his coming to this country he was a member of the Church of England, and afterward he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a local preacher in the same. Always in a good humor, and with a kind word for everybody, he was popular with all who knew him. He was a fine musician, as also was his wife, and both taught music.
     This musical talent was transmitted to their only child, John H., who at six years of age played the dulcimer and sang alto by note in the church. At sixteen he was bound out to an architect, who was also a musician and from whom young John learned to play the violin, becoming an expert on that instrument. When Ole Bull, the Norwegian violinist, was in Cincinnati, Ohio, he played with him. He was also an apt student at his trade, and at nineteen was pronounced a full-fledged architect, at which he worked until about the year 1857. At that time he built a Presbyterian church, was beaten out of his pay, and vowed he would quit the business. From that time he devoted his attention to music. He had always been a lover of band music. At the age of twenty he led a band at a band tournament at Pittsburg [sic] and there took second prize. During the civil war he enlisted as Fife Major in the Army of the Cumberland, where he served until he was honorably discharged on account of disability. He wrote and arranged much of the music used by that branch of the army. After the war he gave his attention to writing and arranging music. He was an active Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His death occurred in Mount Pleasant, Ohio, in 1885, at the age of sixty-five years.
     The mother of our subject died in March, 1873, at the age of forty-eight years. She was a daughter of John and Dorothea (Klein) Taylor. John Taylor was born in Wales about the year 1792 and came to America in 1812. He was a veteran of the war of 1812. His wife, Dorothea, belonged to a Pennsylvania-Dutch family. Soon after their marriage they located at Mount Pleasant, Ohio, where he followed the trade of carpenter until his death, which occurred when he was fifty-six years of age. His wife lived to be ninety-four. Both were devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They had a family of sixteen children who grew up to occupy honorable and useful positions in life and who are widely scattered over the United States.
     John H. and Eliza (Taylor) Sidebottom
had ten children, viz.: John, a resident of Belmont county, Ohio; James, who was killed in the battle of Manassas; Orpha, wife of Josiah Morris, Madison county, Ohio; Anna, wife of S. Morris, Kirksville, Missouri; Henry, who died in 1874, at the age of twenty-three years; William H., whose name heads this article; Amanda, who died at the age of three years; Minnie, wife of Charles Neff, Belmont county, Ohio; Lida, wife of Frank S. Wilson, Clarke county, Ohio; and Mary, widow of John Osborn, Mechanicsburg, Ohio.
     William H
. was reared in his native town. When he was nine years of age he went into a woolen factory, where he worked three years, keeping up his studies by candle light, and after this spent two years on a farm. During these five years he attended school only three months. From the time he was fourteen until he was seventeen he was in school five months of each year, working during the summers. Then he began teaching, and to this profession he has faithfully applied himself for twenty-four years, fourteen of which have been in graded schools. In 1886 he came to Milford Centre. At that time the schools here were ungraded, the attendance was small, and only three teachers were employed. His first work was to get out a manual and grade the schools, and by his untiring efforts he has brought them up to their present high standard of excellence. The Milford Centre school now has six departments. He was the one to propose and draw plans for the addition to the school building, and he also superintended the construction of the same. Through the combined efforts of F. E. Reynolds and himself, furniture, apparatus and books to the amount of $700 have been added to the school. It was largely through his influence that the office of Township Superintendent was established, thus making the school at Milford Centre a high school, and he was chosen the first to fill this office, which position he still holds. Over forty pupils have graduated from this school. Mr. Sidebottom is also County School Examiner, having served as such since 1888. In 1893, through his efforts, Union county was made the banner county of the State in the Ohio Teachers’ Reading Circle.
     Politically he is a Republican. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace, at the election receiving every vote, Democratic as well as Republican. In fraternal circles he is also prominent. He was made a Mason in 1880 and is now a member of Palestine Lodge, No. 153, F. & A. M.; he became a Knight of Pythias at London, Ohio, in 1874, and was one of the charter members of the Milford Centre Lodge, No. 274, having ever since held official position in it and also serving twice as representative to the Grand Lodge; and in Derby Lodge, No. 636, I. O. O. F., he has passed all the chairs.
     Mr. Sidebottom
was married in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, December 30, 1875, to Miss Artie Geer, a native Clarke county, this State, and a daughter of Lewis and Rebecca Geer. They hare two children, Alameda and Morris.
     Mr. Sidebottom
is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, having been a church member since he was seven years old.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 448-450
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


ASA R. SMART, a prominent farmer of Mill Creek township. Union county, Ohio, first saw the light of day in a log cabin in this township, May 4, 1844. He is a son of John S. Smart, one of the early pioneers of the county, now eighty-four years of age and a resident of Marysville. John S. Smart was born in Franklin county, Ohio, where he resided until 1819, at that time coming to Mill Creek township and settling on a farm. He married Miss Mary Robinson, daughter of Asa Robinson, one of the early settlers of the county. They made their home on the old farm in Mill Creek township until 1881, when they removed to Marysville. Of their eleven children, eight are still living, viz.: Catherine Jane, Joseph T., Oliver Perry, Asa R.. Isaac. Samantha. Susan S. and Etta. John H., William and Margaret Ann are deceased.
     Asa R
. was reared to farm life and received only a common school education. When he was twenty-four years of age he married and settled in Concord township, Delaware county, Ohio, where he remained three years, after which he removed to Mill Creek township, near Watkins, Union county. Here he has 135 acres of fine farming land, all well improved and under a high state of cultivation. His modern and commodious residence was built in 1893, at a cost of $2,000, and he also has a large barn, 42 x 62 feet, built on a rock foundation, the whole premises having an air of thrift and prosperity. The old log house, however, still stands and is a reminder of the pioneer days and happy times gone by.
     Mr. Smart
was married November 8, 1868, to Laura A. Edson, a native of Geauga county, Ohio, and a daughter of Levi and Maria (Makepeace) Edson, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Geauga county, Ohio. Her parents are deceased. In their family were five children: Louisa, Mary, Laura A., Lyman and Lydia. Mr. and Mrs. Smart have four children: Minnie Belle, Ashton V., Mabel and Maud.
     Mr. Smart
was reared a Presbyterian and is a member of that church and an Elder in the same. Mrs. Smart was brought up in a Wesleyan Methodist family. Politically Mr. Smart was formerly a Democrat, but of recent years has affiliated with the Prohibition party. He takes a deep interest in temperance work and also in religious and educational matters; has served as a member of the School Board. In short, any movement which has for its object the best interests of the community is sure to find in him a hearty supporter.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 352-353
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


CHARLES W. SMITH, the subject of this sketch, was born in Harrison county, Ohio March 31, 1833, and in 1835, with his parents, Charles and Sarah Smith, he came to Union county, Ohio. He has from his youth devoted his attention to farming, and he received but a rudimentary education. On May 2, 1872, he married Miss Augusta C. Hathaway, who was born October 1, 1842, in Logan county, Ohio; she is a daughter of Ebenezer C. and Almira Hathaway. To them have been born three children: Emily, Nannie H. and Charles H. In May, 1864, Mr. Smith enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was stationed principally at Forts Ellsworth, Lyon and O’Rourke. He received an honorable discharge in September, 1864.
     Mr. Smith
served as a Trustee of York township nearly six years, from April, 1885, to December, 1890, when he resigned, being elected County Commissioner for three years, commencing January 1, 1891. To the latter office he was re-elected in the fall of 1893, for another term of three years. His first majority was 800 and his second 1,300. In the autumn of 1889 he was elected Land Appraiser of the same township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the owner of 240 acres of land, and resides in the southern portion of York township. His duty to both church and state he has always held as sacred, responding liberally with his means for their support. For twenty years he has been Superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday-school.
     The parents of Mrs. Smith are natives of Massachusetts, who, about the year 1833, came to Union county, Ohio, and located there a short time, when they removed to Logan county, where they now reside.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 395-396
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


HARRY E. SMITH, who merits specific recognition as one of the talented and progressive young business men of Marysville, Union county, Ohio, and whose ability in the line of his profession is beyond cavil, is the leading photographist of the city, having given his entire attention to the work, which is both an art and a science, since 1886.
     He is a native of Marysville, and here the major portion of his life has been passed. He was born November 8, 1870, the son of Elan and Jennie (Converse) Smith, and he was reared in Marysville and here received his literary education, graduating at the high school as a member of the class of 1889. His father was engaged in the photographic business for many years and was recognized as a most capable artist long before the present improved dry-plate process was brought into use. While still a mere youth our subject began the study of photography under the effective preceptorship of his father, who was then operating the studio over which his son now has control. After his graduation from the high school Harry decided to follow in the paternal footsteps and to make photography his life work. He was ambitious and was determined that nothing short of the highest possible attainments in the line of his art would satisfy him, as he was fully cognizant of its wider possibilities. With a view to perfecting himself in the practical and latest approved details of photography, he left Marysville in July, 1889, and went to Aurora, Illinois, where he secured a position in the studio of Pratt, the leading artist of that section. He devoted his attention principally to retouching and printing and remained there somewhat more than a year, after which he entered the employ of C. E. Aiken, a most talented artist in that aristocratic suburb of Chicago, Evanston, Illinois. He here retained a position as operator for some eight months, and was then compelled to come home, having met with an accident which so crippled his ankle as to render it impossible for him to continue his work. After he had recovered his wonted physical vigor he returned to the Pratt studio, at Aurora, but remained but a short time, having seen his way to the securing of a position with Peck, of Hamilton, this State, a photographer of wide reputation as one of the best in the Union.
     Mr. Smith
remained there until January, 1892, when he once more returned to Marysville and accepted a half interest in the business conducted by his father, the firm name becoming Elan Smith & Son. This association was continued until the present year (1894), when our subject secured full control of the enterprise, which is being most successfully conducted under his direction. The studio does all classes of photographic work and the proprietor also makes a specialty of crayon and sepia portraiture, in which lines he is personally a fine artist. The studio is centrally located, its parlors and reception room being tastefully fitted up, and the operating room having the most elegant accessories for facilitating the work and lending to artistic ensembles. The work turned out is of the highest order of excellence and Mr. Smith’s knowledge of the art is such as enables him to compete successfully with the leading photographists of the metropolitan centers, for he has profited by the excellent experience in representative establishments, has a native artistic temperament, and is ever studying to secure new effects by experimentation in lighting, posing and by chemical manipulations. He is a member of the National Photographers’ Association and of the State Association, at whose conventions he enters into competition for prizes on work.
     Mr. Smith
’s marriage was consummated September 7, 1893, when he led to the altar Miss Emily Gertrude Robinson, one of Marysville’s most accomplished and popular young ladies and the daughter of Colonel A. B. and Mrs. Kissie (Wilkins) Robinson, honored residents of this city, concerning whom individual mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Smith graduated at the Marysville high school as a member of the same class as was her husband, and she also graduated at the Wooster University, at Wooster, this State, in 1893. She is a member of the grand council of the ladies’ college fraternity, the Kappa Kappa Gamma. Our subject and his wife have one child, Martha Eva.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 399-400
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


PHILIP SNIDER. -- At this point we are permitted to touch upon the life history of one who, if for no other reason, merits recognition in the connection by reason of nearly a lifelong residence in Union county, of which he may well be termed a pioneer.  But superinduced to this circumstance are others which render the appearance of his biography within these pages all the more consistent.  Suffice it to say, in general terms, that Mr. Snider stands forth distinctively as one of the representative men of the county, as will be shown by even the epitome which follows.
     The parents of our subject were Peter and Catherine (Goodhart) Snider, the former of whom was a native of Bavaria, Germany, where he was born in October, 1791.  When but eight years of age he came with his father and his elder brother, John P., to America.  It is supposed that they located at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, soon after their arrival, and there Peter Snider grew to manhood.  Attaining mature years he was united in marriage to Catherine Goodhart, a native of the Keystone State.  After this important event in the lives of the young couple the husband assumed the conjugal responsibilities, engaging in huxtering, which occupation he followed for a number of years, after which he assumed the keeping of a tavern, known as the Gap Hill Tavern, and located fifteen miles below Lancaster.  Later he was keeper of a tavern near New Holland, ten miles east of Lancaster.  In 1833 he resigned the management of this hostelry and came to Union county, Ohio, locating 150 acres of land three miles south of Marysville.  He first purchased l00 acres, paying for the same at the rate of three dollars per acre; shortly afterward he secured an additional fifty acres continguous [sic] to the original purchase, paying six dollars per acre for the same.  The 100-acre tract was partially cleared and had an orchard of young trees, but no improvements in the way of buildings.  He promptly began the erection of a house of hewed logs, and in this primitive domicile the family took up their residence.  They arrived in May and the following September the purchase of the additional fifty acres was made, the same having a comfortable log house, an orchard and other improvements.
     Peter Snider remained upon this farm until 1841 or ’42, when the family removed to Hannibal, Missouri, leaving our subject on the old home farm, over which he remained in charge until 1846, when he removed to Marysville, as will be noted later on.  In the following year he effected a sale of the farm, acting as agent for his father.
     The mother of our subject died, in Union county, the fall after her arrival here, and the father, after his removal to Missouri, remained there until 1849, -- the year which marked the great gold excitement in California, -- when he became affected with the “fever” and joined the great throng moving over the weary stretch of plains and struggling through the perilous mountain passes en route to the new Eldorado.  He finally reached the Golden State and at once made his way to the diggings, there to commence his search for the precious metal.  A man of fifty-eight years at the time, he endured the manifold vicissitudes so familiar to the old  “Forty-niners,” meeting with considerable success in his quest for gold, and accumulating quite a snug sum.  But fortune smiled for a moment only to frown for an hour, for he was attacked with the scurvy, and in his efforts to free himself from this loathsome disease he succeeded in expending all his hard-earned money, finding himself, in the year 1855, literally penniless in a strange land.  Desirous of returning to his home in Missouri, he was not able to raise even sufficient funds to defray the expense of the long trip, but was finally favored in securing a loan from an old friend whom he chanced to meet on the streets of San Francisco.  The funds thus secured proved sufficient to transport him as far as Nicaragua, where, in order to secure means to enable him to complete his eventful journey, he entered the employ of the Government, assisting in putting down the insurrection of the natives.  In due time he arrived in St. Louis. Missouri, and there passed the remainder of his days at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Philip Thomas, his demise occuring [sic] in June, 1863.
     Peter and Catherine Snider were the parents of seven children, of whom we make brief record as follows: Philip is the subject of this review: Henry, a farmer, died in Missouri; Mary Ann, wife of Philip Thomas, died in St. Louis, Missouri; Louisa C. died at Modesto, California; David died in Missouri; Epha, widow of Frederick Storch, is a resident of LaCrosse, Wisconsin; Susan, a resident of Modesto, California, is the widow of Ruhl C. Gridley, who attained a wide reputation from his connection with the sanitary commission at St. Louis, Missouri, being particularly referred to by Mark Twain in his “Roughing it at Silver City.”  Mr. Gridley was the man who was defeated for Mayor at the first municipal election of Silver City, and as the unsuccessful candidate he carried out his part in the way of a previous wager on results, carrying a sack of flour from a certain point to another at some considerable distance.  This flour was sold and resold by Mr. Gridley until a phenomenal sum was raised, and this fund he turned over to the sanitary commission, the incident being familiar to all who have read the book mentioned.
     Philip Snider
, the direct subject of this sketch, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, November 20, 1817, being reared principally on a farm.  His parents being in modest circumstances he was limited in the educational advantages afforded, attending the subscription schools as much as means would permit.  After coming to Union county he secured about thirty days’ schooling and this practically completed his theoretical educational training.  However a retentive memory and a keen power of observation proved adequate to enable him to secure by absorption, as it were, a thorough business education, which, supplemented by subsequent reading and interest in affairs, has made him a man of broad general information.  He remained on the paternal farm and assisted his father in making a home; after he had attained his majority he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Burns, daughter of John and Mary Magdalena Burns, the nuptial ceremony being celebrated on Christmas day, 1838.  After his marriage he continued his residence on the farm until 1846, when he removed into Marysville, which has ever since been his home.
     In the spring of 1843 Mr. Snider was elected Justice of the Peace in Darby township, an office to which he was re-elected in the spring of 1846.  In October of the same year a still more notable official preferment was accorded him, in his election to the office of Sheriff of Union county, to which he was re-elected as his own successor in 1848.  In 1860 he was again chosen to the shrievalty of the county.  In the premises it is interesting to note the fact that Mr. Snider is the only Democrat who has ever held the office of Sheriff of Union county, and the only individual who has filled the office for three terms.  In his political proclivities he has been a life-long Democrat.
     January 19, 1849, Mr. Snider purchased an interest in the dry-goods business conducted at Marysville by the firm of Castle & Kinkade, succeeding to the interest of the former.  The firm title thereupon became P. Snider & Company, and still later Snider & Kinkade, which name and association continued in force until 1878, when our subject secured the entire control of the business, which has since been conducted under his individual name.  The line handled in the salesrooms comprises a complete assortment of dry goods, carpets, hats, caps, etc., the establishment being recognized as one of the representative mercantile places in the county.  In August, 1890, Mr. Snider assisted in the organization of the Union Banking Company, of Marysville, being chosen at the inception as president of the corporation, -- an office which he has held consecutively up to the present time.  He is the heaviest stockholder in the institution, controlling fifty shares of $100 each.
     Mr. Sider [sic] has contributed in a conspicuous degree to the substantial upbuilding and improvement of the little city of which he has so long been an honored resident, having erected several business blocks and other structures devoted to semi-public purposes.  He still retains an interest in and connection with agricultural pursuits, owning an excellent farm of 114 acres in the vicinity of the town.  His career has been attended by a full measure of sucess [sic] and it is beyond cavil that this is the direct result of his own efforts, his well directed industry, native talent and unswering [sic] integrity, since he started out in life with nothing save willing hands and a stout heart and has realized his fondest hopes in making for himself an honorable and useful place in the world.  He was made a member of the I. O. O. F. at the first meeting of the Marysville lodge, which was organized in 1847.  Mr. and Mrs. Snider have been members of and intimately identified with the Presbyterian Church since 1842.
     In the final paragraph of this sketch we shall refer briefly to the six children of our subject: John F., died in 1885, leaving a widow and four children; Henry L., deceased, served for two years in the late war, making three enlistments, the last with Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; Adam is associated with his father in the store: he married Miss Anna R. Hopkins, a native of Portsmouth, Ohio, and they have four children: he also served in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting June 22, 1863, in Company B, Eighty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and being mustered out at Cleveland, February 10, 1864: he re-enlisted, February 13, 1865, and was mustered out at Macon, Georgia, January 20, 1866; Louisa C. is the wife of J. B. F. Smart, of Marysville; Charles W., who is connected with his father’s mercantile establishment, married Miss Susan E. Bowersmith, a native of Delaware county, Ohio, and they have six children; Mary is the wife of Rally Howard, of Marysville, and is the mother of three children.  The attractive family home of our subject is located on North Main street.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 11-14
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


WILLIAM G. SNODGRASS, a prominent resident of Marysville, Ohio, where he fills the important and exacting office of Sheriff of Union county, is a native of the county in which his shrievalty is being served, having been born in Jerome township, November 19, 1839, the son of Samuel and Agnes (Morrison) Snodgrass, the former of whom was born in Union township, this county, being the son of Robert Snodgrass, who was one of the very earliest settlers in the county and a man of much prominence at that period. He developed a farm by clearing away the virgin forest which possessed the land and it is worthy of recalling that he served on the first jury ever empanelled in Union county. His family comprised six children, —four boys and two girls, and his third son, Robert, was the first male white child born in Union township. From the earliest settlement of the county, then, has the history of the Snodgrass family been linked therewith, and well may the present and future generations revert with pride and satisfaction to the annals of the pioneer days and to the record left by their ancestors.
     Samuel Snodgrass
, father of our subject, was reared in this county and here the greater portion of his life was passed. He learned the carpenter’s trade and devoted himself to this vocation for many years. He was a man of strong character, true to his convictions and honored for his unimpeachable integrity. In politics he was originally a Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party identified himself with the same and continued his allegiance therewith for the remainder of his days; in religion he was a member of the Presbyterian Church, as was also his wife. Both he and his wife are deceased.
     Samuel and Agnes Snodgrass
became the parents of six children, of whom we offer the following record: Alvin is a resident of Minneapolis, Kansas; William is the subject of this review; David died in 1862; John resides at Colton, California; Ann G. is the wife of Dr. Spencer Garwood, of Milford Centre, this county; James is a resident of Indianapolis, Indiana; and one son died in infancy.
     William G. Snodgrass
, subject of this review, is now the only male representative of his father’s family in this county. He worked on the farm, attending the district schools during the winter months, until the late civil war was precipitated upon a divided nation, when he determined to do his part toward maintaining the supremacy of the Union, and accordingly, on the 9th of August, 1861, he enlisted as a member of Company B, Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with his regiment until July 20, 1865, when he was mustered out, at Louisville, Kentucky, receiving his balance of pay and his discharge at Columbus, this State, August 1 of the same year. He was made Corporal of his company, and by successive promotions held the offices of Sergeant, First Sergeant and Second Lieutenant, receiving his commission for the last office only a few months prior to his discharge. He was a valiant soldier and never shirked a duty. The records show that he participated in the following engagements: McDowell, May 8, 1862; Cross Keys, Virginia, June 8, 1862; Harper’s Ferry, September 15, 1862; he then passed along and participated in the Vicksburg campaign, being a member of General John A. Logan’s division, which was ever notable as always to the front. At Champion Hills our subject’s regiment effected [sic] the capture of the First Mississippi Battery. After the Vicksburg campaign Mr. Snodgrass re-enlisted as a member of the same company and regiment, and was with Sherman on his ever-memorable march to the sea. His regiment was in the heaviest of the fight on July 22, when McPherson was killed. Mr. Snodgrass was taken prisoner at Harper’s Ferry, but was forthwith paroled. After the great conflict was ended our subject participated with his regiment in the grand review at Washington.
     After the war he once more took up his residence in this county and worked with his father at the carpenter’s trade until the time of his marriage, which occurred November 19, 1870, when he wedded Miss Josephine Colver, daughter of Standish Colver, one of the pioneers of Union county. After his marriage he began farming in Champaign county and there remained for a period of sixteen years, after which he once more returned to his native county, engaging in agricultural pursuits here for seven years, —that is, up to 1892, when he was chosen as the candidate of his party for Sheriff of the county, a position for whose holding he was most particularly qualified. He was duly elected and has since been the incumbent, proving a careful and discriminating officer and never transcending the functions of his office. That he has been a man whose character has ever been such as to gain him confidence is not more clearly shown, perhaps, than in one instance which we may mention. After the war service was ended he was chosen by the members of his company, at Louisville, Kentucky, to receive and bring home the pay roll of the company, which same represented many hundreds of dollars, —a fact significant in itself and its implication. It is also worthy of note that he is at the present time president of his company’s regimental organization.
      Mr. Snodgrass
held the office as Trustee of Union township for a number of years. He was a member of the Soldiers’ Relief Commission from the time the same was created until his election as Sheriff; he was also for a term of years a member of the School Board of his township. Fraternally our subject is identified with Ransom Reed Post, G. A. R., of Marysville; with the Masonic order, being a member of Palestine Lodge, No. 158, Marysville Chapter, No. 99, and Rapier Commandery, No. 19, of Urbana; he also retains a membership in Marysville Lodge, No. 100, Knights of Pythias, and in the Union Veterans’ Legion, at Columbus.
     Mr. and Mrs. Snodgrass
have three children: Frank B., Lucy, and William H.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 400-402
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

  LEVI SNUFFIN, who is one of the prominent men and extensive landholders of Allen township, Union county, and who has passed his entire life of upward of sixty-three years in this township, must assuredly be accorded attention as one of the representative agriculturists of the county and as one well deserving of biographic honors.
     He was born in Allen township, Oct. 31, 1832, the son of Amos Snuffin, who was born in New Jersey and who was the son of James Snuffin, who was a native of the old Keystone States, and a soldier in the war of 1812.  James Snuffin married Sarah Haines who was born in Pennsylvania.  They left their Eastern home in the year 18__, and with team and wagon made the long and wearisome overland journey to this State, settling in Allen township, where the grandsire of our subject passed the residue of his days, his death occurring in 1852.  His widow died in Champaign county.
     Amos Snuffin passed his youthful days on the paternal homestead, and devoted himself to the work of felling the forest trees and clearing and "grubbing" the land and preparing it for cultivation.  The little pioneer settlement in the woods offered meagre advantages in the educational field, and accordingly his scholastic discipline was very limited in scope.  As a boy his chief playfellows were the young Indians, and his principal diversion the hunting of the wild game, which abounded in this section.  Attaining mature years he married Sarah Baldwin, daughter of Jeremiah and Rachel Baldwin, pioneer settlers of this county.  Amos Snuffin passed his entire life in this section, living for a time in the adjoining county of Champaign, and his life was devoted to farming.  He and his wife became the parents of four sons and four daughters, namely: Rachel, Rebecca, Levi, Hannah, Thompson, James, Mary, and William.  Of this number only two are living at the present time:  Rebecca, who is the wife of Samuel Milligan, of Taylorville, Christian county, Illinois; and Levi, the subject of this review.  The father died at the age of seventy-five years, and the mother is living at the home of her only surviving daughter, in Illinois, having attained the venerable age of eighty-eight years.  Amos Snuffin was originally a Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party he transferred his allegiance to the same.
     Levi Snuffin was reared in Allen township and received his preliminary education in the district schools, which he was enabled to attend during the winter months, assisting in the work of the farm during the balance of the year.  The lessons which he received in the home training were those which go to make up the truest manhood, - he was taught that industry was the most honorable accomplishment and that honesty was the highest attribute of character.  These lessons have stood him well in hand during his life, and have conspired to the securing of the marked material success which has been his, and to the gaining to him the respect and confidence of his fellowmen.  The greater portion of his life has been passed in Allen township, had he has consecutively been concerned with agricultural industry.  In 1882 he took up his abode on his present farm, which comprises 477 acres and which is conceded to be one of the best in this section of the county.  On his estate there are five dwelling houses, while the other permanent improvements are of excellent order.  The place is under a most effective system of cultivation, and in connection with general farming the proprietor devotes no little attention to the raising of fine stock, an abundant supply of water being furnished by the Big Darby creek, which traverses the farm.  The family residence, which was erected in 1882, at a cost of $2,300, is eligibly located, and is commodious, with modern appointments and furnishings.
     At the age of twenty-two years Mr. Snuffin was joined in the bonds of wedlock with Miss Nancy Smith, a woman of marked intelligence and noble character, - one who has been her husband's true and sympathizing helpmeet, and one to whom must be ascribed a due share of the credit for the attainment of the success which has been theirs in life.  Mrs. Snuffin's parents were Edward and Hannah (Elliott) Smith, the latter having been a sister of Samuel Elliott, who was one of the prominent early settlers of the county.  Edward Smith was born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1812, and died at the age of seventy-one years.  His widow, who was born in Maysville, Mason county, Kentucky, died at the age of seventy-six.  They were the parents of eight children, namely: Nancy, Mercy, George, John, Mary, Jane, William and Allie.
     Mr. and Mrs. Snuffin
have had six children, five of whom are living at the present time.  Of them we offer the following record:  Ellis J. is at home; Lora is the wife of Ellis Seigler of Champaign county; Levi married Sara Allbright, and is a resident of Allen township; Sarah is the wife of Alpha Wilber, of this township; Thompson married Hannah Spain, and is at home; and William died at the age of five years. 
     In politics Mr. Snuffin does not render a supine allegiance to any party, but maintains an independent attitude, preferring to cast his vote for the best men, regardless of party affiliations.  He has been a member of the School Board, but has never sought anything in the line of public preferment or political office.  Mrs. Snuffin is a devoted member of the United Brethren Church.
     Our subject is a man of honest and unpretentious character, is kindly and sympathetic in nature, and has attained an independent position as the result of his own efforts.  To him and to his estimable wife are accorded the respect and esteem of all whom know them.
~ Page 92 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

DR. JAMES M. SOUTHARD, deceased. ––To indulge in prolix encomium of a life which was eminently one of subjective modesty would be palpably incongruous, even though the record of good accomplished, of kindly deeds performed and of high relative precedence attained, might seem to justify the utterance of glowing eulogy.  He to whom this memoir is dedicated was a man who stood “four square to every wind that blows,” who was possessed of marked professional ability and was vitally instinct with the deeper human sympathies, and yet who, during his long and useful life, signally avoided everything that smacked of display and notoriety, ––and in this spirit would the biographer wish to have his utterances construed.
     Detailed reference to the parentage and ancestral history of our subject appears elsewhere in this volume in connection with the biography of his brother, Dr. John Q. Southard, and a recapitulation of the same is scarcely demanded at this point.  Suffice it to say that James McCartney Southard was the eldest of the family of five children born to Isaiah and Elizabeth (Parnell) Southard, said family comprising four sons and one daughter, who lived to attain mature years.  The place of our subject’s nativity was Adams county, Ohio, where he was born December 16, 1825.  He was reared in Licking county, and though his parents were in moderate circumstances he was enabled to secure a good common-school and academic education.  After this preliminary educational discipline was complete, Mr. Southard followed out his inclinations and made ready to enter upon that career which he had formulated as his life work, ––the profession of medicine.  He accordingly entered the office of Dr. Roe, a well-known physician of Newark, Ohio, remaining under this preceptorage for a time and then matriculating at the Starling Medical College of Columbus, where he completed the prescribed course, graduating in the class of 1854.  Prior to his graduation he was located for a short time at Jacksontown, Licking county, where he practiced his profession successfully.  Immediately after his graduation, however, he came to Marysville. Union county, ––the point which marked the scene of his professional labors throughout the course of a long, active and useful life.  Here he opened an office and entered upon the general practice of medicine and surgery, being distinctively one of the pioneer physicians of the county and soon holding as his own a large patronage ramifying into all sections contiguous to the village and standing as representative in character of clientage.  That success attended his efforts was but in natural sequence, for his position became assured as an able physician, a man of sterling integrity and one devoted to his profession and to the interests and welfare of those to whom he ministered.
     Dr. Southard was a man of strong constitution and marked intellectuality, standing in exemplifying possession of that great human desideratum, “mens sana in corpore sano,” ––a sound mind in a sound body.  He was thoroughly en rapport with his profession; his heart was ever in his work and he gained not only the respect and confidence but the appreciative affection of his patients, as he was watchful, tender and sympathetic, ––his humanity being ever paramount to his professional or scientific interest.
     He possessed marked judgment and discernment in the diagnosing of disease and was peculiarly successful in anticipating the issue of complications, seldom making mistakes and never exaggerating or minifying the disease in rendering his decisions in regard thereto.  He was a physician of great fraternal delicacy and no man ever observed more closely the ethics of the unwritten professional code or showed more careful courtesy to his fellow practitioners than did he.  His devotion to his work was more clearly demonstrated by no one circumstance than that he remained in active practice even to the hour when enfeebled health must have borne home to him the presage of his fast approaching dissolution.  Not until death removed the burden would he consent to its uplifting or its lightening.  Almost as a sacred trust he seemed to hold his professional offices, and long after he had attained to financial independence he continued his ministrations without reservation, and when the shadow of death approached hard by and when his work entailed great physical and mental exhaustion, not even then would he refuse to go forth to the relief of those afflicted, even though it were to a less extent than was he himself.  How clearly such points as these bespeak the noble, honest and faithful character of the man, for such is the faith that makes faithful.  Doctor Southard was a man of few words in the ordinary walks of life; he was apparently reserved, and yet to those to whom came the grateful appreciation of his true, deep nature, this circumstance but endeared him the more.  The veil was lifted to gain the new glory of a true and beautiful life when death placed the seal upon his mortal lips.
     In March, 1868, Dr. Southard effected the organization of the Farmers’ Bank of Marysville, the operations of the same being based upon a subscribed capital stock of $50,000.  He became its first president and as such remained until the time of his death, which occurred March 16, 1891.  As chief of the executive corps of the bank he kept himself thoroughly informed in regard to the condition of its business, and directed its general policies with rare business judgment.  In his political proclivities the Doctor was a stanch supporter of the Democratic party and its principles, being quite actively identified with local politics for many years.  Fraternally he was a member of the F. & A. M.
     May 14, 1850, the Doctor was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Wintermute, a native of Licking county, Ohio, and she became the mother of two children: Charles W., of whom specific mention will be made later on; and Ella, who is the wife of L. F. Blue, Marysville.  The untimely death of the devoted wife and mother occurred September 24, 1867.  Dr. Southard consummated a second marriage June 16, 1874, when he wedded Mrs. Mary E. Godard, who still retains her residence in Marysville.
     Samuel Carson, the paternal grandfather of Mrs. Southard, was one of the pioneers of Delaware county.  He was born in county Down, Ireland, and came with his parents to America when a child, being reared to manhood in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.  In 1804 he removed from the old Keystone State to Chillicothe, Ohio, and about 1823 moved to Delaware county, having purchased about 1,500 acres of land on the east side of the Scioto river, opposite the present Industrial Home for Girls.  This tract he divided into farms for his four sons and two daughters, namely: William, Samuel, James, John, Mary and Jane, —all of whom continued their residence there for a number of years.
     William Carson, father of Mrs. Southard, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1802, being the eldest of the family.  In 1833 he was united in marriage to Eliza Thompson, and he continued his residence on the farm inherited from his father until the time of his death, which occurred in May, 1873.  His widow passed away in January, 1883.  They became the parents of six children, four of whom lived to attain maturity, namely: Joan A., Cicero T., Mary E., and William W.  Cicero still owns the home farm, though he does not reside there.  Joan married Thomas B. Johnson, of Union county, and he later became the principal of the Tuscumbia Female Seminary, of Tuscumbia, Alabama, where he died in the year 1860.  They had two daughters: Lillie, who died in 1873; and Mary B., wife of W. T. Simmons, of Jacksonville, Florida.  In 1868 Mrs. Johnson consummated a second marriage, becoming the wife of John H. Shearer, editor and publisher of the Marysville Tribune, and they had one son, John H., JrMrs. Shearer died October 14, 1881.  William Carson married Rebecca Chenoweth, of Franklin county, in 1870, and he is now a resident of the county mentioned.  Mary E. became the wife of E. M. Godard, in 1866, and he died in 1870.  They became the parents of three children, of whom only one, E. Mary, is living.  The marriage of Mrs. Godard to the subject of this review was celebrated in 1874, as already noted.
      Charles W. Southard, son of our honored subject, was born in Marysville, October 9, 1856, received his rudimentary education in the public schools of this city and subsequently prosecuted his studies in turn at the universities at Wooster and Delaware, this State, after which he supplemented his more distinctively literary training by the prosecution of a thorough commercial course in Cincinnati.  In July, 1875, he entered the Farmers’ Bank of Marysville in a clerical capacity and in the following spring was made teller of the institution.  In March, 1880, he was chosen cashier, in which capacity he has since been continuously retained.  Politically he follows in the footsteps of his father and fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias, being a member of Marysville Lodge, No. 100.  He was married, June 20, 1878, to Miss Tomma Lattimer, daughter of the late Thomas Lattimer, of Marysville.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 23-26
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

John Q. Southard

  JOHN Q. SOUTHARD, M. D. ––Prominent among those honored residents of Union county whose minds bear the impression of the history of pioneer days and trace along consecutively the course of events of the years which mark the end of this glorious nineteenth century, stands the subject of this review, Dr. John Q. Southard, who is a native of the Buckeye State, with whose history that of the family has been linked since the beginning of the present century.  Even taken aside from his own accomplishment and his marked precedence as a man and a physician, it is then most compatible that space be given in this volume to a sketch tracing the genealogy of Dr. Southard and to his portrait, as the scion of an honorable and representative family.
     The Southard family traces its lineage, in both a direct and collateral way, back to English origin, the record extant being clear and unbroken.  The first of the family to become its representative in the New World was Thomas Southard, one of the early settlers of Hempstead, Long Island.  His name appears in the official archives and shows him to have been one of the prominent men of the locality, also denoting the fact that he was one of the landholders in that colonial hamlet as early as 1657.  The influences which ever tend to broaden the functional province of mankind and lead to the seeking of new fields of endeavor eventuated in the removal of his descendants to New Jersey, where they were settled nearly a century later and where several representatives subsequently attained distinction in professional and official life.
     Abraham Southard, the grandfather of Dr. John Q., was a native of Somerset county, New Jersey, and was a relative of the distinguished Henry and Samuel L. Southard, of that State.
     Attaining maturity he removed to Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he subsequently was united in marriage to Elizabeth Hull, daughter of Francis Hull, who met his death at the hands of the Indians, while on an expedition down the Ohio river, about the close of the last century.  In 1805 the grandfather took up his residence in Ohio, becoming the first representative of the family in this State.  He settled in Licking county where he established a home for his wife and their several children, among whom was Isaiah Southard, the father of the immediate subject of this review.  In early life Isaiah Southard was engaged in the management of blast-furnace enterprises, in Adams county, Ohio, but later he took up agricultural pursuits.  February 23, 1825, he married Elizabeth Parnell, who was born February 28, 1807, in Baltimore, Maryland, daughter of James and Achsah (Stockdale) Parnell, who were of stanch old Irish stock.
     Isaiah and Elizabeth Southard reared to maturity four sons and one daughter, of whom we offer the following epitomized record: James M. became a physician and was one of the foremost practitioners of this county and of the State, his death occurring at Marysville, March 16, 1891: a memoir touching his life appears elsewhere in this volume; John Q. is the immediate subject of this sketch; Anna M., who is a woman of noble attributes and gentle refinement, is the widow of U. C. Hall, and resides on the old homestead, in Licking county, secure in the esteem of those who have known and appreciated her sterling worth; Milton I. is an eminent attorney of New York city, and an ex-Member of Congress, in which he represented the Thirteenth district of Ohio for three consecutive terms, attaining much distinction by his labors in the national legislature; Frank H. is one of the distinguished lawyers and statesmen of Ohio, and retains a residence at Zanesville.  The father died May 19, 1885, and the mother passed away on the 21st of August, 1893.
     John Q. Southard was born in Adams county, Ohio, November 28, 1829; and grew up on the parental farmstead in Licking county, contributing his share in boyhood to carrying on the work of the farm and imbibing copious draughts of the spirit of independence, which is ever the concomitant of the life thus closely linked to nature.  The discipline was one which also begot a lively appreciation of the nobility of honest toil and of the advantages which stretched far beyond such a narrowed mental horizon.  Our subject was granted such educational privileges as the locality afforded, attending the district schools during the successive winters until he had attained the age of nineteen years.  Now the ambition of the youth began to strain at its fetters and he determined to prepare himself for a wider field of usefulness than that which is rounded up by the dull routine of the farm.  His ambition was one of effort, and he bent every energy toward the accomplishment of the desired ends.  When but a child of four years Dr. Southard was sorely afflicted in the loss of his right eye from disease, but this misfortune seems to have not daunted his courage in the least, nor has it interfered with the success of his career.  It is an exceptional and noteworthy incident that though fostered under the influences and duties of the farm, not only our subject but each of his three brothers turned to the learned professions in choosing his life work, ––two adopting the law and two medicine.  Young John early realized that if he attained the height to which his ambition directed him he must secure a broader and more liberal education than the common schools afforded, the educational facilities of the Western States at that time being very meager in scope.  He accordingly, after some further academic preparation under select tutorage, began to apply himself assiduously to the study of medicine at home, and by his fidelity and close analytical faculty he succeeded in gaining far more than a superficial knowledge of the science in its various branches, even before he could see his way clear to secure proper preceptorage.  He continued this application for three years in connection with other duties and was then enabled to take a course of lectures in the medical department of the Western Reserve University, at Cleveland, Ohio, ––said department having subsequently been separated from the main institution and continued individually as the Cleveland Medical College, ––one of the strongest institutions in the line that the West can boast at the present time.  At this college he graduated with the coveted degree of M. D., in 1856.
     Immediately after his graduation Dr. Southard located at Frazeysburg, Muskinum [sic] county, this State, and there commenced the active practice of his profession, continuing there about one year and then going to Des Moines, Iowa, where he remained but a brief interval, his delicate health rendering it impossible for him to withstand the cold winds and somewhat rigorous climate of that section.  He then came to Union county, which has been the field of his operations during all the long years intervening since that time.  His ability in a professional way and his earnest and sympathetic devotion to those to whom he ministered soon gained him a practice which ramified into all sections of the county and which placed exacting demands upon his attention, ––a professional duty from which he never flinched, standing ever ready to subordinate his personal inclinations and his personal comfort.  Coming to the county fully thirty-seven years ago, the Doctor found the conveniences for traversing the same vastly inferior to what they are at the present time, although the population was nearly as dense as it is to-day.  Long, straggling roads, little improved, and at certain seasons of the year almost impassable, extended through the county, and over these, in all kinds of weather, the Doctor made his way, much of the time on horse-back and with saddlebags slung beneath him with his cases of medicines.  Through summer’s heat or winter’s frost; night time or day, he pursued his humane mission, visiting alike the mansion and the cabin.  On many occasions he was compelled to let down fences and travel for miles through the fields on horse-back, the roads being impassable.  He recalls instances where, the mud being deep and slightly frozen, he would have to walk for miles, driving his saddled horse before him. He had ever an exceptional and deep charity for the poor and needy, often returning a portion of his fees to widows and orphans and according his services without reserve where there was an inability to render him any return save that of heartfelt gratitude.  A familiar figure this, in days long past, and one viewed with delight by many a poor sufferer at whose bedside he attended.  This was not the life of a sybarite, but one filled with days and nights of toil and hours of heavy anxiety, ––a phase of the healing profession that stands in highest honor to one who has thus devoted himself to the noble work against the greatest odds and with the most marked self-denial.  Dr. Southard stands to-day as one who has done more business in the line of his profession than any other physician who lives or has lived in the county, and to-day his face is known and his presence welcomed far and wide throughout this section, where he still continues in active practice from his home and headquarters in the thriving city of Marysville.
     Skilled, as he is, in his profession, he has reached the point of high attainment by his on efforts, keeping constantly abreast of the advances made in the science and ever maintaining a deep interest in his work, which has become a very part of his life.  He has shown a fine executive and business ability and has been prospered in temporal affairs.  While still a young man he engaged in sundry land speculations in Kansas and Iowa, aid by a successful manipulation of the properties thus secured in an incidental way he realized good returns.
     To-day Dr. Southard stands as one of the most substantial capitalists of the county, and one whose success is viewed with pleasure by all who know his honest deserts.  He owns 1,300 acres of as fine agricultural land as can be found in the county, the same being comprised in six farms, averaging over 200 acres each, and all under a high state of cultivation.  The family home in the city of Marysville is a substantial brick structure of attractive architectural design, beautifully situated on west Fifth street.  The place is recognized as one of the finest homes in the city, and is complete in all its equipments.  The Doctor is president of the Farmers’ Bank of Marysville, which was organized in 1868, with a capital stock of $50,000.  He has been connected with this financial institution for a number of years and has been its president since 1891.
     He is a member of the Union County Medical Society and the Ohio State Medical Society; fraternally is identified with the Masonic order, being a member of Marysville Chapter, No. 99; and politically he has ever been found stanchly arrayed in support of the Democratic party and its principles.  In his religious views the Doctor is liberal, and there is nothing apologetic in his attitude in this regard.  He has a reverence for spiritual realities and not for mere traditional tenets, having a clear apprehension of the fundamental truth and the altruistic element in human life.  He is a man of true sympathy, inclined to regard all men at their best and reluctant to inflict pain, being ever tolerant and charitable.
     He has been signally alive to public interests, and has done much in the way of furthering State, county, and municipal improvements.  He was prominently identified with the work of securing to Union county the extensive system of fine pike roads, which have given the county the reputation as the banner one in the State in this particular; he was active in securing the extension of the Columbus division of the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad, which has proved of much value in affording transportation facilities to the county, and has ever stood ready to lend influence and aid to all undertakings which have conserved public prosperity and legitimate progress.  He is safely conservative, discriminating in his decisions and views.  In addition to attending to his representative practice, Dr. Southard maintains a personal supervision of his farming and other interests, keeping his business affairs well in hand at all times.  In mental characteristics he is strongly intellectual, and in his bearing is courteous and genial, though not a man of many words.  The Doctor is now (1894) sixty-four years of age, but enjoys the strength and virile vigor of a man at two score.
     Turning, in brief, to the more purely domestic pages of our subject’s history, we find that, September 14, 1861, in this county, was consummated his marriage to Miss Lucinda M. Green, who was born in Fulton county, New York, October 7, 1836, daughter of Theodorus and Eliza (Stuart) GreenTheodorus Green was a prominent stock-grower and farmer of Liberty township, this county, and was a member of the Christian Church, as is also his daughter, Mrs. Southard.  He was born in the State of New York, January 26, 1797, and he married Eliza Stuart, who was born in Saratoga county, same State, June 3, 1811.  His death occurred in October, 1875, and that of his venerable widow February 19, 1890.  Mrs. Southard’s maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Stuart, was the only son of Captain Joseph Stuart, an officer in the war of the Revolution, and of Scotch ancestry.  Nathaniel Stuart was born in New York December 11, 1786, married Keziah Toby, and in 1836, with his wife and a family of twelve children, emigrated to Union county, when he resided until his death.
     Theodorus and Eliza (Stuart) Green left their Eastern home in 1839, making the long and weary journey to Union county, Ohio, in the dead of winter and by means of horses and wagon.  The distance thus traversed aggregated some 600 miles, and Mrs. Southard was a child of but two years at the time, being borne in her mother’s arms for the greater portion of the way.  In these latter days, with rapid and comfortable means of transportation it would be deemed fatuous in the extreme to thus attempt such a journey with an infant child to be nourished and cared for.  Theodorus Green and his wife lived for more than a half century on the same farm, in Liberty township, this county, the place being now owned and occupied by their son, Stuart Green.
     Dr. and Mrs. Southard became the parents of five children, three of whom are living at the present time, namely: Frank Stuart, who was born March 12, 1865, was reared at the parental home in this county and received the best of educational advantages, graduating at the Marysville high school, then matriculating at Antioch College, in Greene county, this State, where he completed the classical course, graduating, with honors, in 1887.  He then entered the law department of Harvard University, was graduated in 1890, having been admitted to the bar in 1889.  He is now engaged in the practice of his profession at Seattle. Washington, retaining a representative clientage and holding precedence as one of the most capable young attorneys in that section of the Union: he was married, September 17, 1890, to Miss Lena Morris, of Greene county, Ohio, and a classmate of her husband at Antioch; Homer H. was born June 2, 1868, was educated at Antioch College, but was unable to complete the course by reason of impaired health: he is now engaged in farming and stock-growing in this county; Harry Green, born January 1, 1878; Otto M., who was born May 26, 1863, died May 6, 1865, and Henry B., who was the twin of Harry G., died November 4, 1881.

Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 130-135
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


HENRY V. SPICER, a prominent lawyer and well-known citizen of Richwood, was born in York township, this county, January 10, 1863, a son of David W. and Keziah (Ross) Spicer.  The father was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, September 13, 1822, and was a son of Jonathan and Levinah Spicer, natives of Pennsylvania and pioneer settlers in Muskingum county.  Jonathan Spicer’s father served through the Revolutionary war, in which he received three wounds.
     David W. Spicer was raised on a farm, receiving a liberal common-school education.  June 22, 1848, in Muskingum county, he was united in marriage with Miss Keziah Ross, who was born in Holmes county, Ohio, May 20, 1825.  He died on his farm in York township, July 26, 1892.  She is still living on the home place in York township.  Jane Spicer, a sister of David W. Spicer, married Levi Whaley, of this county.  Catherine Spicer, the second sister, married William Howell.  They moved to La Salle county, Illinois, where their children now reside.  Adeline, another sister, married John Harriman, of Muskingum county, Ohio.  The brothers of David W. Spicer were: Ellison, William, and ThomasMr. and Mrs. David W. Spicer had nine children, namely: Jane E., Emily C., Joseph L., Franklin D., Henry V., Alexander J., Minnie D., William and IsabellaJane E. is the wife of O. E. McAllister, a farmer of Taylor township.  They have one child, Mertie V., aged twenty years, who recently married Allen Laughrey, also a resident of Taylor township.  Emily C. married A. J. Middlesworth, a farmer near Byhalia, Washington township; Joseph L. resides on the home place in York township; Franklin D. is a teacher by occupation, and a resident of Richwood; Alexander J. is engaged in the fire-insurance and real-estate business in West Mansfield, Logan county, Ohio; Minnie, wife of J. S. McGinnis, of York township, was married June 20, 1894; William and Isabella, deceased in youth.
     Dr. Joseph N. Ross, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Holmes county, Ohio.  He was one of the early settlers in Claiborne township, and was the second physician to locate in Richwood.  His death occurred December 25, 1869, aged eighty-two years.  He was a Democrat in his political views.  The Doctor was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was three times wounded.  An ounce ball which had passed through his right lung remained in his body until his death.  He was twice married.  His first wife, née Mary E. Long, died near Ft. Wayne, Indiana, when thirty-nine years of age, from the effects of a bite of a spider.  His second wife, Eliza Murphy, aged seventy-two years, is a resident of Richwood.  Dr. Ross was a prominent Mason, being a member of Mount Carmel Lodge, the oldest Masonic lodge in Richwood, organized in 1858, in the log house of Mr. Ross.  He came from Zanesville to Richwood in 1840.  Dr. Joseph Ross had seven children by his first wife: Emily Manchester, William Ross, Phoebe Balsley, Hiram Ross, Elizabeth Wynegar, Keziah Spicer and James A. Ross.
     James A. Ross, a son of Dr. Ross, was born in Holmes county, November 9, 1829, and resides on a farm east of Richwood.  October 27, 1852, he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Headley, born January 4, 1833.  Her parents, Isaac and Sarah Headley, were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Virginia.  Mr. and Mrs. James A. Ross have had three children, ––Laura, wife of L. O. Slemmins; Lawrence, who was accidently shot and killed December 18, 1878; and Imogene, at home.
     Henry V. Spicer, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the home farm in York township.  During his boyhood he shared in the farm work, attending the country schools a portion of each year.  In 1881 he became a student of the Oberlin College, remaining there one year, and during the years 1885-6 he attended the Wesleyan University, at Delaware.  He taught school and ably edited the Educational Sun for six years, from 1887 to 1893.  Mr. Spicer has traveled through all the northern and northwestern States to the Pacific ocean.  Having read law for nearly a year, he then entered the law department of the Cincinnati College, at which he graduated May 31, 1893, and was admitted to the bar on the following day.  Soon after his admission he began the practice of his profession in Richwood.  Being a native of Union county, Mr. Spicer enjoys a wide acquaintance among the people, which has contributed greatly to his success, and has given him a good and growing practice.  He has every reason to look forward to a bright and prosperous future.
     Mr. Spicer was married January 18, 1894, in the Grace Methodist Protestant Church, at Cincinnati, to Miss Lillian Kohl, born February 28, 1869, in Glendale, a suburb of that city, a daughter of Charles C. and Julia A. Kohl.  The ceremony, which was an impressive one, was performed in the presence of five hundred witnesses, who were friends of the contracting parties.  Her father was a real-estate and bond broker for a number of years.  He died about twenty years ago at his home in Glendale.  Her mother, who is a first cousin of Mrs. Murat Halstead, is living with her son, the subject of this sketch.  Mrs. Kohl was the first pupil who ever entered the Cincinnati high school.  Her father was the leading book publisher of Cincinnati (Mr. Conkling).  Mrs. Spicer is a lady of culture and refinement, and a graduate of the Cincinnati high school.  She is associated with all social matters of Richwood and is a member of the Ladies’ Literary Society, which is composed of the elite ladies of the town.  She has two brothers, Charles N. and Edwin C.  The former is a bookkeeper in Chicago.  Being a widower, he then married a second time, and his only child, Gladys, nine years of age, makes her home with Mr. SpicerEdwin served for several years as shipswriter in the United States Navy, and now resides in Erie, Pennsylvania.  While in the navy he traveled in all the countries of Europe, Asia and Africa, visiting Palestine and the Bible countries.
     Mr. Spicer is a member of York Lodge, No. 672, I. O. O. F., at Summerville, also of Encampment No. 182, and of Rising Sun Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Richwood.  He is a Democrat in political matters, but is liberal in his views on all questions of the day.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Richwood, to which church he has belonged for eleven years.  Mrs. Spicer, who has been a member of Grace Church, at Cincinnati, for years, united with the church of her husband, when she came to Richwood.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 205-207
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

  WILLIAM STALEY, who is successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising in Parish township, Union county, has the honor of being a native of the Buckeye State.  He was born in Greene county on the 17th of October, 1833, and is a son of Samuel and Catherine (Hall) Staley.  The father was born September 6, 1800.  In his youth he learned the miller's trade, and became the owner of a mill on the Miami river which he operated for a number of years, doing a good business along that line.  His death occurred Dec. 23, 1880.  His wife, who was born in Maryland, May 6, 1800, survived him about twelve years, and died July 20, 1892, at the very advanced age of ninety-two years.  In their family were four children - Mrs. Fannie Wood, William Isaac, and Mrs. Sarah Keckly.
     In taking up the personal history of William Staley we present to our readers the life record of one who is both widely and favorably known in Paris township.  He was reared to manhood under the parental roof, and the work of developing and cultivating land was familiar to him from early boyhood.  To his father he gave the benefit of his services until seventeen years of age, when he went to Marysville, Ohio, and began learning the blacksmith's trade with J. S. Cunningham.  He followed that business for eight years, but at length again turned his attention to agricultural pursuits.
     In the meantime, Mr. Staley was married.  On the 21st of November, 1855, he wedded Miss Roxy J., daughter of John and Nancy A. Marne, who were prominent and highly respected citizens of Union county.  Eight children have been born unto Mr. and Mrs. Staley, - Mrs. Julia B. Turner; Simon L.; Walter H.; Mrs. Hattie Parthamore, who was popular and successful teacher; George W.; Nettie; Jerry; and Josephine, who is now deceased.
     At the time of his marriage, Mr. Staley resumed farming, which he then carried on until  1863.  For a short time thereafter he was engaged in the grocery business in Marysville, but he found this occupation did not suit him as well as the one to which he was reared, and came to the farm on which he now resides.  Here he owns eighty acres of rich and arable land, and in connection with its cultivation he has been extensively engaged in stock-raising, making a specialty of the breeding of Merino Sheep, in which undertaking he has prospered  He has a pleasant home, a good barn, and orchard and well-kept fences, and the Staley farm is numbered among the best in the community.
     Mr. and Mrs. Staley hold membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and take a deep interest in everything pertaining to its welfare and advancement.   They have labored earnestly for its upbuilding, and Mr. Staley is now serving as Superintendent of the Sunday-school.  In his political views he is a Republican.  He filled the office of Assessor, but has never been an aspirant for political honors, preferring to give his entire time and attention to his business interests.  His life has been a useful one and his example is worthy of emulation.
~ Page 433 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

WILLIAM STILLINGS, another one of the well-known farmers of Union township, Union county, Ohio, dates his birth in Allen township, this county, February 14, 1843.
     Mr. Stillings
is a son of Thomas Stillings, one of the pioneers of Union county and now a resident of Milford Centre. He was born in Maryland, came to Ohio at an early day, and in Champaign county was married to Somelia Dines. They settled in Allen township, this county, where they resided for a number of years and where he developed a fine farm. They had four children, of whom three are living: William, whose name appears above; Edward, who resides at the old homestead in Allen township; and French G., a resident of Union township, this county. Lewis, a member of the Ninety-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, died of disease contracted in the army, but not until after his father had brought him home.
     The subject of our sketch was reared on his father’s farm and was still in his ’teens when the civil war came on. Eager to enlist his services for the protection of the Stars and Stripes, .he entered the army, but on account of youth his father brought him back. In July, 1864, he enlisted in the Eighty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and served for six months, being on duty in Kentucky. For some time he was sick with malarial fever at Camp Nelson and from there came home with his brother, later being honorably discharged at Cleveland, Ohio.
     Until 1871 Mr. Stillings was engaged in farming in Allen township, and since that year he has resided on his present farm. This place was known for a time as the “Dave” Watson farm. At an earlier period it was a part of a large tract owned by General Taylor, who gave it to his son-in-law, a Mr. Tobat. This Mr. Tobat was a Southerner. He built a house on the Southern plan and had a race track, and brought with him to this State a number of slaves. The slaves, however, nearly all ran away, and he and his family finally returned to his old Kentucky home. Mr. Stillings has a modern residence, erected at a cost of $2,000, located on a natural building site and surrounded by an attractive lawn. He has a good barn, 38 x 40 feet, and other substantial farm buildings, and his whole premises give evidence of thrift and prosperity. The farm comprises 135 acres.
     Mr. Stillings
was married January 1, 1865, to Emily E. Wood, daughter of Michael Scribner Wood and his wife Eliza (Thair) Wood, natives of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and early settlers of Union county, Ohio. Her parents had a family of eight children, namely: Alpheus, Lebeus, Dennis, Joseph, Clarinda, Thaddeus, Michael and Emily. The father died in 1881, at the age of seventy-five years, the mother, when Mrs. Stillings was only twelve years old. They were members of the Christian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Stillings have seven children, as follows: Charles; Stella, a clerk in the large establishment of Marshall Field & Co., Chicago; John; Nelly, also with Marshall Field & Co.; Provie, wife of Elmer Adams; Carrie, who graduated in the high school at Milford Centre in 1893; and Lizzie.
     In his political views, Mr. Stillings is in accord with the Republican party. He has served the public as a Township Trustee and member of the School Board. Fraternally, he is identified with the I. O. O. F., a member of Derby Lodge, No. 636, and Encampment No. 87, of Marysville. Both he and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 251-252
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


A. B. SWISHER, M. D. —Marysville, the county seat of Union county, Ohio, is favored in having represented in her list of professional men individuals whose endowments fully capacitate them for the discharge of the responsible duties which devolve upon them. In considering the life histories of the leading medical practitioners of the city we would speak of him whose name appears as introducing this paragraph.
     A native of Champaign county, Ohio, our subject was born September 8, 1854, one of the four children of Joseph and Amanda (Bambarge) Swisher, the nativity of each of whom traces back to Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
     The mother of our subject died in 1871 at the untimely age of thirty-seven years. The father, who is now a resident of Bellefontaine, Logan county, Ohio, was reared on a farm in the Buckeye State and secured his education in the common schools. Early in life he adopted the profession of teaching school, which vocation he followed for years in connection with farming: He came to Ohio from Pennsylvania in company with his parents, the family locating in Champaign county. When the war of the Rebellion cast its gruesome pall over a divided nation Joseph Swisher promptly made ready to go forth in defense of the stars and stripes, enlisting in the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private. He served for three years, participated in a number of the most memorable battles, received successive promotion for meritorious services on the field and was mustered out a Major.
     The boyhood days of Dr. Swisher, were passed amid the quiet, pastoral scenes of the paternal farmstead in Champaign county, where he remained until he attained the age of seventeen years, devoting his time to attending the district schools and to such duties as he could perform on the farm. At the age of seventeen he entered the work of school-teaching, devoting himself to this line of work for three winter terms and, meeting with unqualified, success, he then secured a position in the public schools of St. Paris, Champaign county, where he was retained until 1878. During this time he had employed his leisure hours in the careful and consecutive study of medicine, taking up a course of reading under the preceptorship of Dr. W. H. McIlvain, of St. Paris. Being by this time well grounded in the elemental principles of the medical science, he entered the Miami Medical College, at Cincinnati, where he completed the prescribed course, graduating as a member of the class of 1882, and receiving a diploma entitling him to carry on the general practice of medicine and surgery. The expenses incidental to the college course he defrayed through funds gained entirely by his own exertions. After his graduation the Doctor established himself in active practice at Casstown, Miami county, Ohio, where he remained for a period of seven years. In 1889 he came to Marysville, and here he has since continued to reside. By close attention to business and unswerving devotion to his patients, as well as by reason of his recognized professional ability, he has succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice and in gaining the respect and good will of the community.
     Arriving in Marysville in June, 1889, at the ensuing fall election he was elected to the office of County Coroner, a position in which he served two terms. In the spring of 1890 he was appointed as United States Examining Surgeon for this district of the pension department and served as a member of the Board of Pension Examiners, at Marysville, until the close of the Harrison administration. In 1892 he was appointed physician to the Union County Children’s Home, and he is still the incumbent in this office. During the year 1893, he served as local surgeon for the Toledo Ohio Central Railroad Company, and in the spring of the same year was appointed Health Officer for the city of Marysville, an office which he holds at the present time. He is medical examiner at Marysville for the John Hancock, the New York Mutual, the New York Life, the Aetna Life, and other life insurance companies.
     The marriage of our subject occurred September 20th of the Centennial year, when he was united to Miss Emma Robinson, of St. Paris, daughter of M. G. and Eliza Robinson. Doctor and Mrs. Swisher are the parents of two children: Chester, aged sixteen, and Grace, aged eight (1894). In 1893 our subject erected a modern residence on West Sixth street, and here the family maintain their pleasant and hospitable home.
     The Doctor is a physician who keeps fully in pace with the advancements made in medical science. is progressive in his methods, and has not been denied that honor and regard which are justly his due.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 129-130
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights