A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
Union County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio
- Illustrated -
Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company,

  J. D. WHITE - One of the well-known and popular officials of Allen township, Union county, Ohio, is the subject of this review, who holds the preferment as Justice of the Peace.  He has been a resident of the township for the past seventeen years, and his place of nativity was not far distant from his present home as he was born in Brown township, Delaware county, near the little old hamlet of Eden, Nov. 15, 1846, the son of Samuel White, a prominent and honored pioneer of Delaware county.  The maiden name of our subject's mother was Rosanna Devore.  Her death occurred in July, 1877, at which time she had attained the age of sixty-three years.
     Samuel and Rosanna White became the parents of six children, of whom we are enabled to offer the following record: Mary E. is the wife of Henry Fegley of Allen township; Catherine is the wife of John McWilliams of Buchanan county, Iowa; Sylvanus W. is a veterinary surgeon in Virginia; Leah R.is the wife of E. P. Black, of Champaign county, Ohio; J. Devore, subject of this review; and William W., who resides on the old homestead in Delaware county.  A complete sketch touching the life of our subject's venerable father, who is now nearly ninety years of age, appears elsewhere in this volume, in the sketch of W. W. White.
     J. Devore White
was reared to farm life and work on the old homestead in Delaware county, completing his education in the Ohio Wesleyan University, in the city of Delaware, he having been a member of the same class as was ex-Governor J. B. Foraker. Leaving college in his junior year, he engaged in teaching, and has devoted his attention to pedagogic work for fully thirty years, having a natural penchant for the vocation, and having proved a successful and popular instructor, - one whose interest in educational matters has ever kept pace with the advances made.
     In 1880 Mr. White took up his residence on his present fine farm of sixty-three acres, the place being situated five miles west of the county's official center, Marysville.  The family residence is an attractive frame structure, and is most eligibly located, while the other permanent improvements about the place are of excellent order.
     Mr. White was married, April 7, 1880, in this township, to Miss Josephine Hurd, daughter of Thomas and Ruth (Turner) Hurd, who now reside in Ellsworth county, Kansas.  The issue of this marriage had been three children, namely; Charles E., born May 30, 1881; Luamy, born Mar. 3, 1883; and Ivolee, born Nov. 30, 1889.
     The greatest loss and bereavement of our subject's life was that which he was called upon to bear Nov. 8, 1892, when his beloved and devoted wife was summoned into eternal rest.  She was a woman of beautiful character, and was beloved by all who knew her.
     Mr. White votes with the Republican party, and has held public offices of trust and responsibility, having at one time served for several years as Township Clerk in Delaware county, and having been elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in April, 1890.  Fraternally he is identified with the Grange and with the Masonic order, being a member of Blazing Star Lodge, F. & A. M., of North Lewisburg, Ohio.  He is a man honored alike for his ability and his earnest devotion to the clearly defined ethics of life.
~ Page 293 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

DR. WILLIAM FREDERICK WHITE. ––Holding marked prestige among the professional men of Union county, enjoying high popularity, and maintaining a representative position as identified with the business life of Marysville, it is manifestly consistent that in this connection attention be directed to the more salient features in the life history of him whose name initiates this review.
     Dr. White is a native of Toronto, Canada, where he was born November 1, 1855, a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Hull) White, the former of whom was born in Germany, the latter in the Dominion of Canada.  The mother is deceased, but our subject’s venerable father is still living, his home being near London, Ontario, where he conducts a fine farm.  In his early manhood he studied the science of architecture and became quite renowned for his ability in this line.  He was a child of about twelve years when his parents came to America and took up their residence in the New World province of the English throne.  They came from Nurtlingen, Germany, having a large family of boys, most of whom now reside in the vicinity of Niagara Falls.  The father of our subject has been a man of no little prominence in the Canadian dominion, being a staunch Reformer and having taken a somewhat active part in public and semipublic affairs.  His children were nine in number, of whom two died in infancy and of whom six are still living.  We offer the following brief record in regard to those who lived to attain maturity: Tillie, who became the wife of Dr. G. H. Gilbert, of Cleveland. Ohio, is deceased; David is a resident of Canada, where he is engaged in farming; Anna is the wife of Dr. Ira Patterson, of Detroit, Michigan; William F. is the subject of this review; Charles A. is a physician of Cleveland; Carrie remains at the old home; Addie is the wife of Dr. D. C. McTaggert, of Bryan, Ohio.
     Our subject was reared on the paternal farmstead and received his literary education in the public schools of Canada and in the normal school at St. Thomas, Ontario, where he graduated in 1871, the youngest member of his class.  He at once turned his attention to teaching in the public schools, which vocation he followed successfully about three years, when, in 1875, he went to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he matriculated in the medical department of the famous university of that State, remaining one year, after which he entered Pulte Medical College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he graduated with the class of 1877.  This professional training had been but the practical carrying out of plans which the Doctor had formulated in his boyhood days, and he thus realized his ambitions.  Indeed, he began his medical studies when but sixteen years of age, pursuing a course of reading under the direction of Dr. Leonard Luton, of St. Thomas, Ontario, one of the distinguished physicians of the dominion.  The ambition and enthusiastic energy of our subject is shown in the fact that this line of study was followed in connection with the onerous duties incidental to his work of teaching.
     After his graduation at Pulte, Dr. White located at Nevada, Wyandot county, Ohio, where he displayed his “shingle” with due solemnity and entered upon active practice, remaining there for a period of six years and securing a representative support in his professional efforts.  Within this time there entered into his life a new element, and one that was destined to have a marked influence upon his career in the way of devotion and encouragement.  He met, wooed and won Miss Lula Agnew, the daughter of J. K. and Jennie (Bibbler) Agnew, their nuptials being celebrated October 1, 1878.
     James K. Agnew, father of Mrs. White, was an attorney by profession, but never followed this vocation by reason of enfeebled health.  He was for some years cashier of the Nevada Deposits Bank, receiving this official preferment at the time the bank was organized.  He served during the war of the Rebellion and was retired with the rank of Lieutenant.  He enlisted with the Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was subsequently consolidated with the Fifty-first regiment.  He was in active service during the entire term of conflict and was mustered out, at Columbus, as First Lieutenant.  He died February 12, 1874, being at the time only thirty-eight years of age.  He left surviving him a widow and four daughters.  The eldest daughter, Lula, is the wife of our subject; Nina is the wife of J. A. Williams, cashier of the Nevada Deposits Bank; Esther is at home with her mother, as is also the youngest daughter, MarieMr. Agnew was an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party, and had served as Mayor of the city of Nevada.  He was intimately identified with the Presbyterian Church, with which his widow, who is still a resident of Nevada, is still connected.  Mr. Agnew was a cousin of Dr. D. Hayes Agnew, of Philadelphia, one of the most celebrated physicians in the Union.
     Reverting to the fact that Dr. White remained in practice at Nevada for about six years, we find that at the expiration of this time he removed to Marysville, leaving a large and lucrative business, which he established by reason of his high professional ability, his honor and his fidelity, ––attributes which never fail of objective appreciation.  During these years of active labor the Doctor had been devoting himself to special study and investigation in regard to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and to the most approved methods of treating such disorders.  This special work had never been made to take the precedence of his general practice, however, until he located in Marysville, when he announced himself as ready to give special attention to such classes of disease.  The propriety of specialism in medical practice has engrossed the attention of many of the greatest minds in the profession, and to-day this phase of practice is recognized as expedient and as ultimately imperative.  Dr. White has been particularly successful in his special work, has studied carefully and conscientiously and finds that in connection with his general practice this special feature comes in for manifest appreciation on the part of those afflicted.  With a view to keeping fully abreast of the advances made in this particular branch of the medical science, he has taken special post-graduate courses of study in the Eye and Ear Polyclinic, at Chicago.
     Our subject was alone in his professional work until 1890, when he associated with himself Dr. H. A. Rodebaugh.  This association continued until May, 1891, when Drs. White and Rodebaugh became identified with the introduction of the Keeley cure for inebriety into Ohio, the third coadjutor in this enterprise being Mr. S. N. McCloud, the present postmaster of Marysville.  An institution for the treatment of dipsomania, according to the Keeley method, was opened in Marysville, and for some time our subject and his associates gave their attention to carrying on this creditable work.  Dr. White finally resigned his active connection with the operation of the institution and resumed his general practice in partnership with Dr. C. D. Mills, with whom he is still associated.
     Aside from his professional endeavors, the Doctor is identified with certain important enterprises of Marysville, being a stockholder in each the Davis Chair Company, the Robinson & Curry Manufacturing Company, and the Bank of Marysville.  In 1892 he disposed of his interest in the Keeley institute, and in September of the following year lie became greatly interested in a new method of treatment for tuberculosis; finding, upon careful investigation, that the method had pronounced and unmistakable merit, he identified himself with the enterprise and fitted up suitable quarters in Columbus, for the bringing of the same before the public and for the treatment of consumption and allied disorders.  The treatment has proved its efficiency in cases where the test has been of the severest order, and the results have transcended the most sanguine expectations of the promoters.  Satisfied of the wide field of benefice and usefulness which the treatment would fill in the behoof of suffering humanity, Dr. White effected the organization of a stock company in June, 1894, and this company has been duly incorporated under the title of the Pulmonary Chemical Company, the official headquarters being located on North High street, Columbus, where our subject has the general superintendence of the operations.  Some marvelous cures have been effected, and the projectors have unlimited confidence that their method offers a permanent cure for the dread disease, consumption, in a large proportion of cases.  To enter into details concerning the treatment would be both incongruous and impossible in this connection, but a few words as defining the natural and scientific methods employed may not be malapropos.  The specific remedial agency is that offered by a continuous inhalation of an antiseptic, balsamic atmosphere, which brings about an inhibition of the growth, propagation and dissemination of the bacillus tuberculosis, and which, being taken into the circulation through the medium of the lungs, ramifies into all parts of the system, reaches diseased tissues wherever located and aids nature in regaining control and perfecting a cure, ––all that any system of medication can claim to do.  The salutary change effected in patients undergoing treatment is evidenced in many symptomatic indications: a marked increase in appetite, cessation of enervating perspiration, allaying of cough, restoration of refreshing slumber, ease of expectoration, alleviation of chest pains, and the resumption of deep and grateful respiration, etc.  All this is attended with a gradual disappearance of the bacillus from the sputum.
     Dr. White visits the institute about twice each week.  For the benefit of those who are unable to attend the sanitarium, from financial or other reasons, a home treatment has been prepared.
     Our subject is an ardent Republican and is at the present time a member of the city Common Council.  Fraternally, he is identified with Palestine Lodge, No. 158, A. F. & A. M., and with Marysville Lodge, No. 100, Knights of Pythias.  In the Masonic order he has advanced to the thirty-second degree of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite.  He is also a member of the Musical Society of Marysville, of the Married People’s Choral Union and of the Literary Society.
     Dr. and Mrs. White have two children: Carroll, aged fourteen, and Rietta aged nine (1S94).  In 1892 the Doctor erected a very handsome modern residence on West Fifth street, and here he and his wife dispense the most grateful hospitality to their large circle of friends.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 64-67

Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


ALONZO J. WHITNEY, president of the People’s Bank, of Marysville, Ohio, must be accorded particular recognition within these pages, standing as he does as one of the representative financiers and business men of Union county. On the 23d of November, 1829, our subject was ushered into the world, in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, the son of Evart and Julia (Merriman) Whitney, both of whom were natives of. Connecticut, and of Puritan descent. The paternal grandfather was a stalwart patriot in the days when patriotism implied great personal self-abnegation, and history records that he was an active participant in the war of the Revolution. The parents of our subject are both deceased, the death of the father occurring in the year 1887, and that of the mother in 1874.
     The early life of Alonzo J. Whitney was passed in his native State. He received his education in the common schools and while still a mere youth became concerned in mercantile operations. The first year after he had attained his majority he worked on a farm, receiving as wages for the year the sum of $100, his effective services and fidelity securing to him for the second year an increase to the amount of $125. A young man of marked individuality, he soon sought employment that would afford a little more latitude to this characteristic attribute, securing a position as assistant in operating one of the notion wagons, which at that period were a distinctive feature of the mercantile trade of the section, the familiar and heavily loaded vehicles traversing the districts throughout the State and supplying the merchants with the innumerable necessaries and conveniences demanded. After one year’s service as assistant, he was assigned to the charge of a wagon and continued in this line of enterprise for a period of five years, after which he engaged in business for himself, having been frugal and economical in his habits and having thereby been enabled to save a goodly portion of the wages he had earned upon the farm and in the notion trade. He accordingly opened a small general store at Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, conducting this enterprise successfully about four years, when, in 1859, he brought his stock of goods to Marysville, and here opened an establishment, which in the course of time became one of the leading mercantile enterprises of the town. For some little time Mr. E. S. Payne had been associated in business with our subject and in the centennial year the latter closed out his interests in the enterprise to his partner.
     In the year 1873 Mr. Whitney was prominently identified in the projection and organization of the People’s Bank of Marysville, having been one of its foremost promoters. The institution opened its doors for the transaction of a general banking business in April of the succeeding year. The bank was incorporated under the provisions of the legislative act authorizing the establishment of private or individual banking houses, and as a private institution the enterprise has been most successfully conducted up to the present time. Mr. Whitney was made its first president and has filled this executive office continuously, being the present incumbent. The bank bases its operations upon a cash capital of $20,000, the efficient cashier of the institution being Mr. C. S. Chapman. The bank transacts a general and representative business in its line and is ranked among the most solid and reliable institutions of the country.
     In 1864 Mr. Whitney erected a fine business block in which were fitted up spacious and convenient offices for the accommodation of the business of the bank. In 1884 our subject added still further to the attractions and conveniences of the business quarter of the little city by the erection of a fine business block of three stories, the same being located opposite the bank block. His handsome residence, located on Sixth street, was also erected by him, and is one of the most attractive houses in the town.
     It is almost tautological at this point to state that Mr. Whitney has ever maintained a position as one of the most progressive and public spirited citizens of Marysville, for the fact is evidenced by even the meagre details already mentioned. To him and his well directed efforts have already been largely due the consecutive growth and development of the town, and he has ever held himself in readiness to lend both influence and tangible assistance to all enterprises and projects which gave promise of conserving the best interests of the place and the local public. A distinctive type of the self-made man, he has attained to a high degree of success in temporal affairs, has shown a marked capacity for the conducting of business enterprises and directing them to the goal of maximum success, his efforts having been characterized at all times by those essential principles of conservatism, industry and politic economy. As a result he occupies to-day a position as one of the most honored residents and representative capitalists of Union county. He gives his personal attention to his business affairs, also directing the operation of his fine farm of 567 acres, located two miles northwest of Marysville.
     Reverting briefly to the domestic life of Mr. Whitney we find that he has been twice married. In February, 1858, he was united to Miss Rubie Tuttle, who became the mother of three children, all of whom died in infancy. Her demise occurred in 1870 and two years later Mr. Whitney married Miss Kate Peck, of Milford, Connecticut, the issue of this union being three children, of whom only one survives. This is a son George. who is a student at the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, and a young man of much promise. The family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Whitney has long been one of the officials in the local organization.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 26-28
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


REV. F. W. C. WIECHERS, pastor of the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. of Marysville, Ohio, has had this charge since September, 1892. Before proceeding to a sketch of his life, we give a brief history of the church.
     Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Marysville was established in the year 1878 by the consolidation of two organizations. In 1882-3 its present church edifice, the finest in the city, was erected at a cost of $18,000, and its present membership is 300 communicants, while its usual congregation is nearly twice that number. This church is connected with the Joint Synod of Ohio and other States. Its first pastor, Rev. F. Zagel, was succeeded by Rev. J. M. Koepplin, now of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, who filled the charge for nine years, and who in turn was succeeded by Rev. J. E. A. Doerman. Rev. Doerman officiated here most acceptably for five years, and upon his removal to Washington, D. C., where he is now located, the subject of our sketch was called to the pastorate of the church.
     At the time this church was established a parochial school was also organized. It started with twenty pupils, has kept pace with the growth of the church and other advancements in the city, and at this writing it has 122 pupils enrolled. At first the pastor was its teacher and he continued as such for three years. Then J. F. Bergener was employed, and is still retained, and in 1893 the school had increased to such an extent that it was necessary to divide it and employ another teacher, and Carl Schaub, of South Chicago, was called to fill the place. These gentlemen are proficient teachers and under their able management the school has attained a marked degree of excellence.
     Rev. Wiechers
was born in Hanover, Germany, December 18, 1854, son of Ludwig and Mary Elanora Wiechers, members of the Lutheran Church and people of the highest respectability. His father was a manufacturer of umbrellas. Young Wiechers attended the graded and afterward the high school in Hanover up to the time he was sixteen, when, on account of his father’s failing health, he was obliged to drop his studies and take charge of the business. After his father’s death, which occurred May 16, 1871, he remained with his mother until 1873, when he came to America. Here he at once entered Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, where he graduated with the theological class of 1875, and in August of that same year he entered the ministry. His first charge was at Patricksburg. Owen county, Indiana, which he filled for four years. Then he was pastor at Cardington, Morrow county, Ohio, eight years, and for two years and nine months was at Covington, Ohio, being called from the latter place to his present charge, where for two years he has served most acceptably.
     Rev. Wiechers
is eminently a self-made man. He worked his way through college by teaching during the vacations. While in Covington he officiated as a member of the Board of Education, and here in Marysville he is on the Board of Health. His mother followed him to this country in 1874 and is now a resident of Columbus, Ohio.
      Mr. Wiechers
was married December 31, 1878, to Miss Catharine Heintz, a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a daughter of Adam and Mary Heintz, and they have an interesting family of five children, —Herbert A. W., Mary Leonora, Clara Catharine, Oscar Fredrick and Flora Caroline. They lost one child by death, namely, Leo Martin.
      In his political views, Rev. Wiechers is in harmony with the principles advocated by the Democratic party.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 48-49
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


W. H. WILLS, M. D. —We are now permitted to take into review the life history of one of the representative and honored professional men of Union county, Dr. Wills, who is a resident of Milford Centre, where he is engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery and where he retains a most representative supporting patronage.
     The Doctor is a native of the Buckeye State, having been born in Franklin county, February 6, 1850, the son of John Wills, who was born near Zanesville, this State, and who is now a resident of Columbus, his lineage tracing back to Germany. He has reached the venerable age of seventy-five years but retains a virile strength of both mind and body. The mother of our subject, née Elizabeth Compton, was born near Reynoldsburg, this State, daughter of Ezekiel Compton, one of the pioneers of that section, and a native of the old Keystone State.
     John and Elizabeth Wills
became the parents of five children, namely Jennie, deceased; W. H., subject of this review; Caroline; Charles, a prominent business man of Columbus, Ohio; and Emma. The venerable father was successfully engaged in farming until the time of his retirement from active business life. He has been a stanch Republican for many years, and is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     Dr. W. H. Wills
was reared on the old homestead farm and was given exceptional educational advantages, completing his more purely literary education at Delaware, where he attended the Ohio Wesleyan University. He engaged in teaching district school before he had attained the age of fifteen years and for some time he bore the appropriate sobriquet of “the boy teacher.” He early determined to prepare himself for the practice of that profession in which he has attained so marked success, and he commenced the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Frankinburg, a prominent and able physician. He finally matriculated at Starling Medical College, in the capital city of the State, where he completed the prescribed course and graduated with high honors, as a member of the class of 1879. He established himself in practice at Columbus, immediately after his graduation, and there remained for a period of four years, after which he came to Milford Centre, where he has since devoted himself to professional work and where he has built up a large and representative practice, being held in the highest esteem in the community, both as a man and a physician. The Doctor is an avidious student and keeps constantly in touch with the advances made in medical science and surgery.
     In politics the Doctor pins his faith to the Republican party, and he has been a most active worker in the local organization of his party, having served as chairman of the county committee, and having wielded no little influence in the party councils. Fraternally he retains a membership in Darby Lodge, No. 636, I. O. O. F., in which he has filled all the chairs, besides having served as District Deputy of the order. He is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and has been closely identified with church, Sunday-school and temperance work for many years. He organized Sunday-schools and became a teacher in the same while he was still a boy in his ’teens, having also been a superintendent for many years. A man of strongest integrity and of broad sympathies, he has gained the esteem of the community and the confidence and affection of those to whom he has ministered in the dark hours of sickness and distress.
     The marriage of Dr. Wills was celebrated June 6, 1883, when he led to the hymeneal altar Miss Ada Butler, a young lady of culture and true refinement. She was born in Hocking county, Ohio, the daughter of John Butler, now deceased, receiving an excellent education at McConnellsville [sic] and Adelphi, this State.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 430-431
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

  J. D. WOOD, one of the well known and representative agriculturists of Allen township, Union county, Ohio, was born on the old homestead farm in this county, Jan. 5, 1848, his father, W. C. Wood, having also been born on the old homestead, Dec. 5, 1829, his father, Luther Wood, having been one of the pioneer settlers in this county.  Luther Wood was born in the vicinity of Fredonia, New York, and came of a prominent and patrician New England stock.
     W. C. Wood, father of our subject, became one of the leading and representative men of his native county, where he was reared and educated and where he passed the entire span of his life.  He married Maria McWilliams, a woman of much refinement, the daughter of Alexander McWilliams, who was born near Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia).  She has passed nearly her entire life in this county, and is now a resident of Milford Centre.  After his marriage Mr. Wood settled on eighty acres of land in Allen township and then set himself the task of clearing the same of forest trees and bringing to it a state of cultivation.  He was industrious and honorable, possessed a most discriminating judgment, and his efforts were ultimately crowned with success.  He accumulated a nice property before his death, which occurred in 1886.  In politics he was originally a Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party he transferred his allegiance to the same and ever after supported its principles and policies.  He was a most zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Milford Centre and for many years was one of the officials of the organization.  Honored alike for his unswerving rectitude of character and his intelligence and executive ability, his death was deeply deplored in ten community where he had passed his life and to whose interests he had ever been devoted.   The members of his family are adherents of the Methodist Church.
     W. C. and Maria Wood became the parents of five children, four of whom are living:  Alice is the wife of Stanton Marsh, of Allen township; J. D. is the subject of this review; Luther A. is a resident of this township; Anna is the wife of M. D. Coe, of Union township; and one child died in infancy.
     J. D. Wood was reared on the old homestead and early became inured to the sturdy duties incidental to its cultivation.  His theoretical educational discipline was that which the public schools afforded, but the later years, with their practical duties and demands, have rounded out his knowledge in a most symmetrical manner.  He was enabled to attend the public schools in Marysville for a time and profited duly by the opportunities thus afforded him.
     Mr. Wood's landed estate in this county comprises 314 acres of choice land, a large portion of the same being situated on the rich bottom lands of Big Darby creek.  The entire farmstead is under a most effective system of cultivation and gives evidence that its operation is one in which enterprise and progressive methods are brought to bear.  The permanent improvements include a very commodious and handsome residence of modern and attractive architecture, the same having been erected, in 1887, at the cost of $4,000.  The home is delightfully situated and is surrounded with attractive lawns.  Two large barns and other buildings are of substantial order and neatly kept, and a modern windmill supplies water for both domestic and farm purposes.  Mr. Wood has a large number of excellent horses and denotes considerable attention to general stock-raising.  On the place is a maple orchard of 1,500 trees, which is one of the most extensive in the county and from which is derived a large annual output of sugar.
     Jan. 6, 1870, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Addie Wilber, a lady of much refinement, who was born, reared and educated in Allen township, her parents, James and Sarah Wilber, having both died in this township, where they were prominent and honored residents.  Mr. and Mrs. Wood have had three children, namely: Ida May, who graduated from Marysville high school in 1891; Lillie Estelle, who graduated at the same school in the class of 1892; and one child who died in infancy.
     In politics Mr. Wood votes with the Republican party, and in his fraternal relations he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, retaining a membership in Darby Lodge, No. 636, of Milford Centre, and Encampment No. 114, of Marysville.  He and his wife and daughters are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Milford Centre, and Mr. Wood is one of the Trustees of the organization.  He is a man who is honored by all who know him and one whose influence in the community is ever directed along the line of all that is good and true.  He has been a most active worker in advancing church and educational causes, and has taken a prominent part in temperance work.
~ Page 253 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

LUTHER A. WOOD, one of the prosperous and honored farmers of Allen township, Union county, is a native of this county, his birthplace having been the old homestead which has been in the possession of the family since the early pioneer period of the county’s history.  The date of his birth was December 19, 1851, and his parents were William C. and Maria (McWilliams) Wood.  The father, who is now deceased, was a prominent early settler and honored citizen of the county, and the venerable mother is still living, a resident of Milford Centre.  They had five children of whom our subject was the third in order of birth.
     Young Luther passed his boyhood days on the paternal farmstead and familiarized himself in a practical way with the duties incidental to clearing and improving the farm, working in both Allen and Jerome townships.  His theoretical education was secured in the district schools and has been well re-enforced by his connection with the practical affairs of life.  For nine years he operated a threshing machine throughout this section, utilizing steam power for a period of three years.  In this line of enterprise he attained a distinctive popularity and a wide acquaintanceship, and carried on the same successfully until impaired health compelled him to abandon the work.
     In 1879 he took up his residence on his present farm, which comprises 190 acres of the prolific alluvial bottom lands of Darby creek, the same being particularly eligible for the raising of cereals and stock, in both of which departments of farm work he has been successful in his operations.  He has given particular attention to the raising of pure-bred Galloway short-horn cattle and draft horses, and his discrimination and good judgment have been such as to yield the best of results and consistent financial returns.  The family residence is a substantial and commodious frame structure, and the place has one of the best barns in this section of the county.
     Mr. Wood has been thrice married, his first union being consummated April 12, 1877, when he wedded Emma P. Irvine, daughter of the late Leckey and Nancy (Maxwell) Irvine, and by this union he had one child, who died in infancy.  The death of Mrs. Emma P. Wood occurred January 31, 1884; she was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  March 19, 1885, Mr. Wood was united in marriage to Sarah A. Spain, daughter of Washington and Sarah Spain, both of whom are now deceased.  The only child of this union, William C., died at the age of seven months and sixteen days, and the mother passed into the life eternal April 19, 1886, having been a zealous member of the United Brethren Church.  Mr. Wood married his present wife April 17, 1887, her maiden name having been Eliza L. Holycross.  She comes from one of the old and honored families of the county, and was here reared and educated.  She is a daughter of Pierson F. and Jane S. (Wilson) Holycross, of this township, and is a woman of marked intelligence and refinement.  Mr. and Mrs. Wood have two children, namely: Leroy Edson, born August 18, 1888; and Hetty Fern, born April 9, 1891.
     In politics our subject casts his franchise with the Republican party, and fraternally he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, retaining a membership in Darby Lodge, No. 636, of Milford Centre, and Encampment No. 114, of Marysville.  Both he and his estimable wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Milford Centre.
     Mr. Wood is one of the representative farmers of this section and is honored for his ability and upright character, enjoying an unmistakable popularity in the community.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 436-437
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.


JOSEPH F. WOODS. ––Union county, Ohio, contributed to the Federal army many a brave and valiant soldier during the late Civil war, and among those surviving at the present time, ––when the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic are being disintegrated by the one invincible foe, death, ––stands the subject of this sketch, who was loyal to his country in her hour of peril, and who now stands as her staunch supporter in these “piping times of peace.”  Mr. Woods is one of the representative farmers of Union township, and is a native son of the county, having been born May 29, 1837, on the paternal homestead, lying in this township, along the course of the Big Darby creek.
     His father, John P. Woods, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1806, being the son of Rev. Samuel and Margaret (Power) Woods, who came from Pennsylvania in the early pioneer days of 1807, the father having been one of the first Presbyterian clergymen in this section of the State.  He was a man of simple piety and marked ability, and his labors must ever be held in lasting regard.  He died in 1815, leaving a widow and five children.  We are enabled to offer the following brief record concerning the children: John P. was the father of our subject; Eliza, the only daughter, married Rev. Benjamin DolbearSamuel was born August 26, 1819, and died March 3, 1880; James F. was born near Milford Center, Ohio, June 21, 1812, was a prominent attorney of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, and died December 10, 1893; Judge William Woods, deceased, was a prominent man in the county, having been Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and having been the founder of the Bank of Marysville.
     Our subject’s father, John P., was reared and educated in this county, and here was consummated his marriage to Miss Jane M. Finly, who was born in the old Keystone State in 1810, the daughter of Joseph Finly, who was a native of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and who was an early settler in Union county.  The maiden name of his wife, who was born in Pennsylvania, was Frances MooreJohn P. and Jane M. Woods became the parents of five children, namely: Joseph F., who is the subject of this sketch; Harlan P., who participated in the late war as a member of Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, is now a resident of Plain City, Ohio; Frances is the wife of S. W. Robinson, of Kenton, this State; Isadore died at the age of fourteen years; and Theodore J., is a resident of Taylor township, this county.  The father died March 6, 1851, at the age of forty-four years, and the mother survived to attain the advanced age of seventy-eight years, her death occurring in 1888.  In politics, John P. Woods was a Whig and an ardent Abolitionist, and religiously was a leading adherent of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was a most zealous worker.
     Our subject, Joseph F. Woods, was reared to farm life on the old homestead and received his educational discipline at Bridgeport and Delaware, this State.  August 30, 1861, he enlisted for service in the late war, as a member of Company D, Fortieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he participated in the battles of Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain, besides several other conflicts of minor sort.  He was finally detached from his regiment and was placed on duty at Columbus, Ohio’s capital city, where he assisted in the taking of recruits to the front.  He was honorably discharged from the service, September 14, 1864, as Sergeant of Company D.
       In 1874 Mr. Woods took up his residence on his present farm, which is known as the old Judge Gill homestead, and which is one of the very best farms in the township, comprising, in Darby and Union townships, 135½ acres and being under a most approved system of cultivation.  The family residence, which was erected by our subject in 1882, is one of the attractive rural homes of this section, being commodious and of modern and symmetrical architectural design.  Other permanent improvements on the place are of a character consonant with progressive and enterprising methods which Mr. Woods brings to bear in the cultivation and management of his farming industry.  The place shows a goodly array of live stock of all kinds, and no little attention is devoted to this department of the enterprise.
     September 12, 1867, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Belle Martin, a woman of culture and gentle refinement, and one who attained distinctive popularity in Darby township as a successful teacher.  She was born in Darby township, this county, May 14, 1841, the daughter of James and Edith (Penrose) Martin, both of whom were natives of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and both of whom are now deceased.  They were prominent and honored residents of Darby township, this county, for many years, and were the parents of six children, namely: Amelia, wife of J. C. Robinson, of Darby township; Joseph P., of Darby township; Keziah, who died at the age of eighteen years; Belle, wife of our subject; Mary, deceased; and Maria, wife of James Anderson, of Ringgold county, Iowa.
     Mr. and Mrs. Woods have had three children, namely: Zella, who died at the age of two years, three months and five days; Nellie and Carrie.  The surviving daughters are both successful and popular teachers and are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which their mother also is a devoted adherent.|
     Our subject lends his ballot and influence to the support of the Republican party.  He is a man of marked intellectual power, and in his personality is frank and genial, while his honor and probity are beyond cavil.  To him has been accorded the respect and esteem of the entire community in which he lives.

Source:  Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 140-142

Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

  DR. JAMES N. WRIGHT, one of the prominent members of the medical profession of Union county, Ohio, has been located at Raymond's since 1882.
     Dr. Wright was born at Johnstown, Licking county, Ohio, Aug. 6, 1858, son of James N., Sr., and Effie (Willison) Wright, both natives of that county, born respectively in the years 1818 and 1822, and both still living on a farm near Johnstown.  The Doctor's grandfather, Simeon Wright, was born near Rutland, Vermont, and was by occupation a farmer.  He came with his family to Ohio in 1816, and settled in Licking county, which was at that time nearly all dense forest.  Here, while in the prime of life, he met his death by a runaway team.  He was a veteran of the war of 1812, having served all through that war was a Major, under Ethan Allen.  His sons all became farmers, and were among the best people of Licking county; all were stanch Republicans, and one served in the State Legislature.
     The subject of our sketch is one of a family of seven children, he being the sixth.  His boyhood was passed on his father's farm, and his education was received in the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, and at Wooster (Ohio) College.  He began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. T. J. Williams, of Sunbury, Ohio, and took a three years' course in the Michigan State University, at Ann Arbor, where he graduated in June, 1882.  In August of that year he came to Raymond's and entered upon his professional career, and here he has met with merited success, winning the confidence of the people from the very first, and now having a practice of considerable magnitude.  Both as a physician and financier he is a success.  He owns a fine farm of ninety-three acres adjoining Raymond's the management of which he superintends.
     Dr. Wright was married at Johnstown, Ohio, Oct. 18, 1882, to Miss Florence L. Hill, daughter of A. J. Hill, and they have an interesting family of five, namely: James W., Helen E., Miles L., Donald M. and Gladys R.
The Doctor and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a Steward and Trustee.  Fraternally he is identified with the Masons and the Knights of Pythias, being Master of the Masonic Lodge at Marysville, and Vice Chancellor of Raymond's Lodge, No. 657, K. of P.
~ Page 443 - Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Illustrated - Publ: Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.

THOMAS FERMAN WURTSBAUGH. —The man who by his own efforts and as the result of industry and perseverance not only receives a good education, but widens the field of his usefulness and influence, deserves to be given full credit for his labors. This Dr. Wurtsbaugh has done. He is essentially a self-made man, as the story of his life which follows will disclose.
     Dr. Wurtsbaugh
was born in Keene township, Coshocton county, Ohio, June 8, 1845, a son of David Harrison and Lucinda (Spiva) Wurtsbaugh. His father was born near Dresden, Licking county, Ohio, April 21, 1819, and was of German descent, his parents coming to America from that country. He died of servile gangrene May 27, 1889, at the age of seventy years. He was one of sixteen children, seven of whom are still living. He followed farming during his life-time, was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics was first a Whig and afterward a Republican. The mother of our subject, who resides on the home place, three miles southwest of Richmond, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1824. She is descended from an old New England family, being the daughter of John and Harriet Spiva, who came to Ohio at an early day and settled in Coshocton county. Mrs. Wurtsbaugh has two half-sisters living, —Elizabeth, wife of Henry Van Aukin; and Sarah, who married William Banto. They both reside near Richmond, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Wurtsbaugh had twelve children, —Sarah, John, Thomas, Emanuel, Samuel M., Hannah, James, David, Nancy, Frank, Mary, and Laura. Sarah married a farmer named Ross Dougherty, and they reside in Coshocton county; they have six children. John, who married Sarah Babs, is a farmer two miles northeast of Richmond; he has five children, —Alice, Della, Jennie, Bessie, and May; Alice and Della are married, the former to Howard Kinney, a farmer near Richmond, and the latter to Vestus Grindall, a blacksmith of Mount Victory, Hardin county, Ohio; the remainder of the children reside at home. Emanuel died in infancy, in Coshocton county. Samuel M. was killed at Fort Buford, Montana, in 1874; he was serving as First Sergeant of the Seventh Regiment, United States Infantry, when he was murdered by a fellow-soldier named Wilson, who was tried for the crime, found guilty, and sentenced to be shot, but the sentence was afterward changed to imprisonment for life in the penitentiary at Columbus, Ohio, by President Grant. Harriet married Isaac Smart, a prosperous farmer four miles south of Richmond; they have two children living, —Lawrence, who is a cripple for life, the result of necrosis of the tibia; and Laura, a well-educated lady, who has for several years been a successful and popular school teacher. James died of typhoid fever at the age of twenty years. David is a carpenter by occupation, but his present residence is unknown. Nancy is the wife of Benjamin Reed, a resident of Bucyrus, Ohio. Frank, a farmer by occupation, married Jennie Mulvane, and they reside one mile west of Richmond. Mary has been twice married; her first husband, Perry Bacon, died at his home four miles south of Richmond in 1891, about a year and a half after his marriage, leaving one child; her second husband is Malcolm Cameron. Laura died in infancy.
     When Thomas F. Wurtsbaugh, the subject of this sketch, was two years of age his parents moved to Union county, settling on fifty acres of land seven miles south of Richmond, where his father remained until his death, in 1889. During his boyhood Thomas attended school but very little, and at thirteen years of age he began work as a farm hand. In July, 1864, being then nineteen years old, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served as a private. He was in the engagement near Decatur, Alabama; at Overall creek, near Murfreesboro, December 4, 1864; ten days later, December 7, participated in the battle of the Cedars; and was discharged from the service May 31, 1865, at Camp Dennison, near Cincinnati. After returning home he was an invalid and threatened with consumption. After partially recovering his health, Mr. Wurtsbaugh entered the academy at Ostrander, which he attended four terms; next became a student at the Richmond high school, after which he taught school nineteen terms, teaching during the fall and winter, and farmed during the summer, a part of the time on rented land, and for four years on his own place of thirty-six acres four miles west of this city. He next entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, taking the regular course, and graduated June 1, 1886. Before entering the latter institute, he began practice under the preceptorship of Dr. W. B. Duke, of Richmond, and for six years after graduating he practiced at Claiborne. From that time until 1888 he followed his profession at North Louisburg, when he came to Richmond and formed a partnership with Dr. W. B. Duke. This firm continued three years; it was dissolved by mutual consent in 1891, and Mr. Wurtsbaugh then opened his present office. The Doctor is a member of the Ohio State Eclectic Medical Association and of the Ohio Central Eclectic Medical Association. He holds a special diploma from Butte Medical College, as a graduate in ophthalmology and otology, also holds certificate of preceptorship from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, in which he filled the chair of anatomy in 1885-6. Politically the Doctor is a Republican, and is a member of the Board of Health of Richmond. Socially he is a member of Richmond Lodge, No. 443, I. O. O. F., also of the Encampment of Mount Carmel Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and of the National Fraternal Union.
     Dr. Wurtsbaugh
was married October 30, 1870, to Miss Abigail F. Wilson, born in Delaware county, September 12, 1847, a daughter of Joseph and Mary Wilson, both now deceased. Mrs. Wurtsbaugh has one sister and brother: Henrietta, who married Thomas Onion, and they reside in Ostrander; and Henry, who married Emily Riley, and resides in Richmond. They have three children. Doctor and Mrs. Wurtsbaugh have two children: Ferman, horn February 22, 1873; and Howard, born December 17, 1876. Ferman will graduate at the Nada Pharmaceutical School in December, after which he will enter the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, to fit himself for the medical profession. Howard is attending the Richmond high school.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 427-429
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights