OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:  
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio
Vol. II

by Wm. Rusler - Publ.
1921

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1921 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 
  JOHN ROBB CARNES.  It is oftentimes considered by those in the habit of superficial thinking that the history of so-called great men only is worthy of preservations and that little merit exists among the masses to call forth the praise of the historian or the appreciation of mankind.  A greater mistake was never made.  It is not a history of the lucky stroke by which some achieve lasting fame that benefits humanity most, but the persistent study and continuous effort which in the course of time makes the lucky stroke possible.  Among the citizens of Allen county who are achieving success along steady lines of action is John R. Carnes, whose life record thus far has entitled him to the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
     John Robb Carnes is a native son of the county now honored by his citizenship, having been born in Lima in February, 1892, and he is the son of Ira P. and Anna P. (Robb) Carnes.  His father was born in Barry, Vermont, and the mother in Bellefontaine, Ohio.  His paternal grandfather was John Carnes, who came from Vermont to Ohio, locating first at Upper Sandusky, and later locating in Lima, where he spent the remainder of his days.  The father, who was employed in the Lima Locomotive Works, died on Dec. 10, 1913, and was survived but a short time by his widow, whose death occurred in June, 1916.  By a former marriage Ira P. Carnes left two children, Walter B., of New York city, and Sabine, the wife of H. H. Phelps, of Tacoma, Washington.
     John R. Carnes received his elementary education in the public schools of Lima, after which he was a student in the Miami Military School at Germantown, Ohio, where he was graduated.  He then entered the Western Reserve University at Cleveland, Ohio, where he was graduated in 1915, and after which he became an employe of the Lima Steel Casting Company, being at first assigned to office work, but his abilities and faithful service won promotions for him until today he occupies the responsible position of purchasing agent for that company.  He has applied him self indefatigably to the performance of every duty assigned him in the various positions he has occupied, and his present position is his only by virtue of meritorious service.
     In June, 1917, Mr. Carnes was married to Catherine Wyre, who was born and reared in Lima, the daughter of John and Ada (Hay) Wyre, both of whom are natives of the Buckeye state, her father having been born in Wayne county and her mother in Hardin county.  To Mr. and Mrs. Carnes has been born a daughter, Catherine M.
     Politically Mr. Carnes gives his support to the Republican party and his religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Fraternally he is a member of Lodge No. 585, Free and Accepted masons, and he has attained the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.  He is also a member of Lodge No. 54, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, at Lima.  His career, though comparatively brief, has been well rounded in its motive and action; he has done his full duty in all the relations of life, and because of his business success and his high personal character he enjoys the sincere regard and good will of all who know him.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 62
  WALTON E. CLARK.  When the history of music in Allen county shall be properly written few men will be found who have more deeply stamped their individuality upon the musical development of their period than did the late Walton Ellis Clark of Lima.  The complete history of his busy life would be inspiring and serve as an example to those seeking achievement that can only come through thoughtful and persistent effort.
     Mr. Clark was born at Mattapoisett, Massachusetts, May 20, 1859, a son of Captain James M. and Maria (Benson) Clark, natives of the Bay state, who passed their entire lives within its confines.  Mr. Clark received his education in his native state, who passed their entire lives within its confines.  Mr. Clark received his education in his native state, and as a youth displayed a remarkable talent for music, expressed through his performances on the organ.  This talent was given the opportunity for development and he became a masterful performer on the pipe organ, and it was as such that he came to Lima in about 1883.  Here he was retained for numerous entertainments, celebrations, church affairs and other public performances, where his work was always greatly popular and his skill and sympathetic rendition of his art was recognized and appreciated.  He is a graduate of the New England Conservatory of Music and for many years he was a teacher of music, and many of his pupils becoming talented performers, both amateur and professional.  He was Organist for the Market Street Presbyterian Church all the years that he lived here.  In all business relations he was known as a honest man whose dues were strictly paid.  He belonged to the Lima Club and the Knights of Pythias and was a Knight Templar Mason, while his political faith was that of the Republican party.  Temperate in his habits, his private character was without reproach, and he was justly recognized as one of the best representatives of the highest type of manhood.  When he died, Feb. 26, 1903, he left many to mourn sincerely his loss.
     Mr. Clark was married June 25, 1889, to May P. Kibby, born at Lima, daughter of Harmon and Mercy A (Purdy) Kibby, the former a native of Simsbury, Connecticut, and the latter of Pennsylvania, although reared at Chili, New York, where the parents were married.  Mr. and Mrs. Kibby came to Lima among the earliest settlers of this community, and one of the principal streets in the southern part of the city is named Kibby in honor of Mr. Kibby, who was at first the proprietor of a tannery, but in later life conducted a wholesale grocery.  He died Apr. 9, 1901, his widow surviving him until Sept. 20, 1911.  Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark; Harmon James, who died in infancy; and Rodney Kibby, who is unmarried and resides with his mother in their home at No. 749 West Spring Street.  Mrs. Clark, who survises her husband, is very popular in club and social circles of Lima, and is a valued member of the Women's Music Club and the Shakespeare Club.  She belongs to the Market Street Presbyterian Church, in the work of which she has been actively helpful.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 130
  JESSE E. COCHRAN.  Conspicuous among the representative citizens of Lima and Allen county is the gentleman whose name forms the caption to these paragraphs.  He has made his influence felt for good in his community, his life having been closely interwoven with its history for a number of years.  His efforts for the material advancement of this locality and the well regulated life he has led have gained for him the respect and admiration of all with whom he has come into contact.
     Jesse Egar Cochran, superintendent of lines and substations of the Ohio Electric Railway, was born at New Albany, Indiana, on Mar. 17, 1868, and is the son of Dr. Samuel A. and Catherine (Moore) Cochran.  Mr. Cochran is of sturdy old Scotch stock, his paternal great-grandfather and two brothers having immigrated from near Edinborough, Scotland, to the United States, settling first in Pennsylvania, and later moving to Kentucky.  The great-grandfather was a physician, being a graduate of the University of Chicago.  His father, Mr. Cochran's great-great-grandfather, held the chair of medicine in the University of Edinborough, and it is noteworthy that in each generation of the family down to Jesse E. Cochran, the oldest son in each family followed the vocation of Medicine.  The grandfather, true to the family tradition, took up the vocation of medicine in Kentucky, moving to New Albany, Indiana, after his marriage.  Samuel A. Cochran was a graduate of the Louisville (Ky) Medical College and was a successful and popular practitioner up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1915.  His widow died in the following year.   Of the seven children born to them the subject of this review is the eldest.
     Jesse N. Cochran received his educational training in the public and high schools of New Albany, Indiana, after which he taught school for three terms in the country districts near New Albany.  He then attended the State Normal School at Terre Haute, Indiana, taking the teachers' course.  He also gave the greater part of his leisure time to the study of engineering and electricity, in both of which subjects he had a great interest.  He entered the employ of the Clover Leaf Railroad at Charleston, Illinois, as foreman of car repairs, remaining there about one and a half years, and then for a time he was interested in construction and electrical work as a contractor, with headquarters at New Albany.  Later he went to Elwood, Indiana, where he was similarly engaged, becoming superintendent of construction for the Elwood Mining and Construction Company.  During 1900-1904 he had a part in the construction of the Wabash River Traction Company and had charge of the line after its completion.  He then entered the employ of the Ohio Electric Railway as foreman of lines and sub-stations, and had charge of the construction of the electrical equipment of the line, first on the Lima-Fort Wayne division, then on the Toledo, Springfield and Defiance divisions.  He has immediate charge of the most important phase of the operation of the road and has made a splendid record in his present position.  Since 1918 Mr. Cochran has acted as instructor in electricity in the Smith-Hughes Night School at Lima, and he also taught a preparatory class in electricity as a part of the war training work with the class of 1918.
     Politically Mr. Cochran gives his support to the Republican party, and he is a member of the First Christian Church of Lima.  Fraternally he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Loyal Order of Moose.  He also belongs to the Ohio State Electric Light Association, the Central Electric Railways Association, and the Lima Rotary Club.
     In 1897 Mr. Cochran was married to Cora Willia, the daughter of William and Martha Willis, of New Albany, Indiana, and to them have been born the following children:  John William, of Toledo; Earl A., of Toledo; Elmer A., of Lima; Jesse E., Charles Elbert, Thomas Willis and Catherine Cora.  In his chosen field of endeavor Mr. Cochran has attained splendid success and a high reputation, his services being duly recognized and appreciated by all familiar with his work.  He has also proved an honorable member of the body politic, rising in the confidence and esteem of the public, and in every relation of life easily ranking with his compeers in all things affecting the life of the community.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 93
  ULYSSES M. COCHRAN.  One of the best known families in Marion Township is the Cochrans, and on land where he was born and reared Ulysses M. Cochran is still actively engaged in his agricultural operations.  His interests have extended to farmers and general business organizations, and to every movement in the locality to promote the general welfare.
     Mr. Cochran was born July 23, 1868, a son of W. R. and Eliza (Baxter) Cochran.  His father was born in Putnam County, Ohio, in 1829 and his mother in Fairfield County in 1833.  After their marriage they settled on the old farm in Marion Township, and proved themselves people of the greatest worth and industry in that community.  The father died Aug. 17, 1812, and the mother Apr. 12, 1901.  For many years they were faithful members of the Morris Methodist Chapel, and W. R. Cochran was a trustee in the church and worker in the Sunday school.  He was affiliated with Hope Lodge of Masons at Delphos and also filled the office of township trustee, being elected on the republican ticket.  In the family were nine children:  Clara, deceased; Keziah J., Julia, Newton, William, Frances, Emma, Ulysses and Isaac M.
     Ulysses M. Cochran
while growing up on the farm attended the public schools, and after getting his education was a successful teacher altogether for seventeen years, though farming in the meanwhile.
     Apr. 16, 1891, he married Emma L. Brand, daughter of S. J. and Louisa (Peltier) Brand.  After their marriage they settled on the old homestead and Mr. Cochran owns a well improved farm of eighty acres, but operates altogether 160 acres.  He and his wife are very active members of Morris Chapel of the Methodist Church, and he has been identified with that church since boyhood  He is a trustee, and has contributed liberally to the maintenance of church activities.  Mr. Cochran is a past master of Hope Lodge No. 214, Free and Accepted Masons, at Delphos, a past high priest of Delphos Chapter No. 105, Royal Arch Masons, and is the present thrice illustrious master of Delphos Council No. 72, Royal and Select Masters.  He is the present master of Riverside Grange.
     Three children were born to the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Cochran:  Ruth, who received a high school education and is the wife of C. F. Buettner; Charlotte who graduated from the Delphos High School, from the Oxford College of Music, and is pursuing post-graduate courses in music and opera at the Conservatory of Cincinnati and in New York; and Byron, who died at the age of two years.  Mr. and Mrs. Cochran are rearing a son, Clayton Cochran, in their home.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 315
  HON. JASPER L. COCHRUN.  To his duties in the Legislature Jasper L. Cochrun took the viewpoint and experience of a successful farmer, a man thoroughly in touch with the advanced program of his home county in agriculture and public improvements, and his record at Columbus has justified all the expectations of his many friends back home.  He has been twice elected to the office of representative from Allen county, serving with the 83rd and the 84th General Assemblies.
     Mr. Cochrun, whose home is at Spencerville, represents a family that has been identified with the history of Allen county for the past ninety years.  He was born in Amanda township Feb. 1, 1859, son of Simon and Lucinda (Miller) Cochrun.
     Rev. Simon Cochrun, the ancestor of all the Cochruns in Allen county, was born Aug. 3, 1755, and died June 9, 1845, at the age of eighty-nine years, eleven months and six days.  He fought under Washington in the Revolutionary war and is buried in Allen county.
     His son, Wesley Cochrun, who died in Allen county, Ohio, when upwards of eighty years of age, came to this section in 1831, and spent his active years as a farmer in Sugar Creek township.  He was an active factor in establishing and upholding the influence of the Methodist Church in his community.
     Simon Cochrun, son of Wesley and a grandson of Revolutionary soldier and pioneer Methodist preacher, was born in 1821, and was ten years of age when he arrived in Allen county.  He died in 1897.  Simon Cochrun married Lucinda Miller.  She was born Nov. 10, 1819.  Simon Cochrun was educated in the public schools, and for several terms taught in some of the old log school houses of the county.  His later years were given to farming.  Throughout his long life he was devoted to the best interests of his community, was a liberal supporter of the Methodist Church and a friend of progress everywhere.  He was the father of five children: James, a retired farmer and merchant at Spencerville; L. Y., a Spencerville merchant; Lizzie and William, both deceased; and Jasper L.
     Jasper L. Cochrun
grew up in the environment of the old farm in Amanda township, and made good use of his educational opportunities, first in the district schools and later finishing his education by taking a normal course at the Ohio Northern University at Ada.  For five years he was a teacher, and then began buying and shipping live-stock, a business he has followed ever since.  He owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, two hundred and twenty acres in Auglaize county and the remainder in Amanda township of Allen county.
     Mr. Cochrun married Catherine B. Carmean in June, 1881.  She was born in Auglaize county, Feb. 28, 1859, a daughter of James and Sarah A. (Bowersock) Carmean, and received her early education in the common schools.  For twenty-five years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Cochrun lived on their farm in Amanda township, but in 1906 moved to Spencerville.  Both are members of the Methodist Church.  Mr. Cochrun is a past chancellor of Spencerville Lodge No. 251, Knights of Pythias, and his wife is a member of the Pythian Sisters and the Rebekahs.  Mr. Cochrun has always taken a great amount of interest in school work, and for years has been president of the Board of Education at Spencerville.  He is also vice president and a director of the Citizens Bank, Spencerville, a member of the Spencerville Progressive Association, a member of the Grange and a member of the Allen County Farm Bureau.  His political allegiance has always been Republican, and it was on that ticket that he has been twice elected as a representative from Allen county to the General Assembly.
     Mr. and Mrs. Cochrun became the parents of four children, two of whom died young, the daughter Ruth at the age of ten.  The two living sons are Paul W., a newspaper man, and James Lee, who gained a distinguished record as a soldier.  James Lee  graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware.  This University has also conferred upon him the honorary degree of Master of Arts for the record he made in the World war.
     The day James Lee was twenty-one he received a commission as second lieutenant in the Phillippine Constabulary, sailed for the far east and the coming nine years of his life were spent in the southern islands of the Phillippine group.  For gallantry while in action at the battle of Sahippa's Cotta, on the island of Jolo, the Congress of the United States presented him with a medal of valor.  It was during this engagement that he was badly wounded, and was compelled to return to the States.  Returning to civil life, he was made crop estimator of the state of Ohio by the Agricultural Department at Washington, which position he held until the United States entered the World war.  War being declared, he offered his services to his country, was given the rank of captain and made division adjutant under General Glenn at Camp Sherman.  He went overseas with the 83rd Division, was promoted to the rank of major and then to the rank of lieutenant; colonel and placed on the Second Army Staff.
     James Lee Cochrun is now living at Akron and is connected with the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 42
  PAUL WESLEY COCHRUN, owner and editor of the Spencerville Journal News, represents one of the very old families of Allen county.  He was born in Amanda township, Allen county, June 6, 1884.  His parents are Jasper L. and Catherine B. (Carmean) Cochrun.  He comes from Scotch-Irish ancestry, and his great-great-granfather, Simon Cochrun, was a Revolutionary war soldier.
     Mr. Cochrun was born and raised on a farm and secured his public school education at a country school.  He completed his education at the Ohio Northern University at Ada, Ohio, and at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio.
     For a number of years he was identified with school work and was a teacher in many parts of the world.  He made a complete tour of the world as teacher, and for one year was superintendent of schools of the District of Cotabata in the Island of Mindanao, Philippines.
     In November, 1913, after returning to the United States, he purchased the Journal News at Spencerville.  Since then he has given all his time to his work as editor and publisher.  Mr. Cochrun is a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, is a member of the Masonic, I. O. O. F., and Rebekah orders, a member of the Spencerville Progressive Association, and is first lieutenant of Company H of the Second Ohio Infantry.
     Mar. 24, 1917, he was married to Laura E. McClure.  She was born in Latty township, Paulding county, Ohio, Feb. 12, 1896.  Her parents were Alexander H. and Alice A. (Bigelow) McClure  Mrs. Cochrun received her early education in the public schools of Paulding county and finished her education at the Malden, Missouri, High School.  Her ancestry is Scotch-Irish.  Her great-great-grandfather, Nathan McClure, was a Revolutionary war soldier, and he died at Burnt Cabins, Kentucky, while his son, Samuel McClure, was fighting Indians at the battle of the Thames.
     Mrs. Cochrun's ancestry were among the early settlers of northwestern Ohio, Moses McClure being the first white child born in what is now Allen county.
     Mr. and Mrs. Cochrun are the parents of one child, a son, John Wesley, born May 4, 1918.  They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 42

F. B. Cotner Family
&
F. B. Cotner Residence
FRANK B. COTNER.  As teacher, farmer and banker, Frank B. Cotner has been prominently identified with the affairs of Allen County, of which he is a native son.  Mr. Cotner's home is at Lafayette, where he is cashier of the Lafayette Banking Company.
     He was born in Richland Township of Allen County, Nov. 2, 1868, son of David S. and Elizabeth Cotner.  The family came to Allen County in pioneer times and his father was one of the prosperous farmers, always alert to his duties of citizenship.  Frank B. Cotner had a common school education, and in 1892 graduated from the Ohio Northern University at Ada.  His active career as a teacher continued from 1890 to 1907, a period of seventeen years, though in the meantime he was also interested in farming, and is still owner of farming lands in his section of the county.  Mr. Cotner in 1907 entered the banking business and for a number of years has been cashier and a director of the Lafayette Banking Company.  He was mayor of Lafayette continuously form 1908 to 1921.  HE has also held several township offices, and since giving up the role of a teacher has been interested in school affairs.
     Mr. Cotner is a democrat and is one of the leaders in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Lafayette and has served as superintendent of its Sunday School.  He is affiliated with Sager Lodge, No. 513 F. and A. M., having been initiated January 25, passed February 22, and raised as Master Mason, March 28, 1908.  He has served the lodge as chaplain and trustee.  He was initiated June 16, 1890, in Beaver Dam Lodge No. 689, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
     At Lafayette, Oct. 15, 1891, Mr. Cotner married Nancy J. Stoodt, daughter of Frederick and Rebecca Stoodt.  Her father was a Union soldier in the Civil war and in after yeas a well known farmer of Allen County.  Mr. and Mrs. Cotner have three children: Clifford A., who married Evadna E. Meyer; Bryan D., who married Louise M. Urich, and David L. Cotner, still at home.
     Bryan D. Cotner
enlisted in the army, from the Ohio State University in the 37th Division in the World war.  He was in Belgium when the Armistice was signed.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 348
Requested by<roger@cotnerlaw.us>
NOTE:  You will have to contact a library in that area to get a better copy of these pictures as I don't have the original book ~ Sharon Wick
  JOHN W. COTNER when one year old accompanied the family to Amanda Township, and in that locality he grew up, acquiring a district school education, supplemented by a course at Valparaiso Normal in Indiana.  For one term he taught in Sugar Creek Township, but his chief work for fifteen years was at the carpenter's trade.  While working as  a carpenter he was in Springfield, Illinois, for some time and there met Miss Helena Schlitt, a native of that city.  They were married Mar. 22, 1899, and to their marriage were born two children: Herman, who is a graduate of Lima High School and is now a student in the Ohio State University, and Ruth, still in high school.
     The family are members of the Lutheran Church at Elida and Mr. Cotner is a republican.  Besides looking after his farm he is one of the directors of the Farmers Equity Exchange, is secretary and treasurer and director of the Farmers Bank of Elida, and is also president of the Elida Mutual Telephone Company.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 243
  HARRY M. CRAWFORD, D. D. S.  A well known and highly esteemed resident of Lima, and one of the leading representatives of the dental profession of the city.  Harry M. Crawford, D. D. S., is actively associated with one of the most important branches of surgery, for its application at some period of life is required by almost every member of the human family.  A son of John Crawford, he was born Nov. 27, 1876, in Madison, Indiana, and there grew to man's estate.
     Born in Glasgow, Scotland, John Crawford came with his parents to Indiana when a child, and was with his parents to Indiana when a child, and was brought up and educated in Jefferson County, and having learned the trade of a machinist when young followed it successfully for many years in Madison, that county, where he is now living retired from active pursuits.  His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Scott, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, and when a young girl was brought by her parents to this country, settling with them in Indiana, where she has since resided.
     Obtaining the rudiments of his education in the district schools, Harry M. Crawford continued his studies in the high school at Marion, Indiana.  His tastes and inclinations leading him to adopt a professional career, eh entered the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1907.  Coming soon afterward to Lima, Doctor Crawford has been successful from the start and deserves credit for the high position he has won, not only as a skillful and popular dentist, but as a man and a citizen.  He is an active member of the Northwestern Ohio Dental Association and of the Ohio State and National Dental associations.
     Doctor Crawford married, July 23, 1910, Evelyn A. Booth, daughter of Walter and Jennie (Whiting) Booth) of Lima, and they have one child, John E. Crawford, born Mar. 13, 1912.  Politically the doctor is a staunch supporter of the principles of the republican party.  Religiously he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Fraternally he belongs to Lima Lodge No. 91, Knights of Pythias.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 232

NOTES:

 

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights