OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:  
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio
Vol. II

by Wm. Rusler - Publ.
1921

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1921 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 
  ASHFORD D. HALL, a buyer and shipper of live stock at Bluffton, is one of the successful business men of Allen County who is engaged in developing the natural resources of this region and increasing the agricultural supremacy of this county by affording the producers a convenient market.  Mr. Hall was born in Jackson township, Allen County, Nov. 17, 1860, a son of William J. and Elizabeth J. (Watts) Hall.
     William J. Hall
was born in Allen County, and his wife was a native of the same county.  The paternal grandfather, Richard Hall, came to Allen County from Pickaway County, Ohio, and became a farmer of some prominence.  Reared on his father's farm in Jackson Township, William J. Hall was married in that township, and he and his wife settled on a farm and lived on it until they moved to Bluffton after their retirement and both died in this city, he at the age of eighty-one years, and she when seventy-five.  They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and very active in church and Sunday school work.  In politics he was a democrat.  They had seven children, six of whom survive, namely:  Huldah, who is the widow of M. L. Boyd, lives in Jackson Township; Ashford D., who was second in order of birth; Electa, who is the wife of Wilson Hawk; Leanna Florence, who is the widow of David Bogart; Jasper, who is a resident of Texas; and Burdette, who is operating the homestead.  A daughter, Minnie, died at the age of one year.
     Ashford D. Hall was reared on the home farm and sent to the neighborhood schools.  He remained at home until his marriage, when he rented the homestead and conducted it for three years.  In 1880 he left the farm, moved to Bluffton, and for three years was engaged in the livery business, and then sold it, and began handling live stock, which undertaking has been developed to large proportions through his energy and knowledge of the market and the sources of supply.  Reared a Methodist, Mr. Hall early united with that denomination and has been very active in the local church, serving as a member of its official board and otherwise rendering it a very commendable service.  A democrat, he was on the School Board for twelve years, and is present clerk of the board.  He is a stockholder of the Commercial & Savings Bank of Bluffton, and in the Cleveland Union Stock Yards at Cleveland, Ohio.
     Mr. Hall was married to Miss Emma McKee, who was born in Richland Township and educated in the common schools of Allen County.  Three children were born to them, as follows:  Edgar C., who is a wholesale coal dealer of Toledo, Ohio, was graduated from the Bluffton High School in 1903, took an extra commercial course at Toledo, Ohio, and married Florence Huff of Toledo, Ohio; Edith M., who was graduated from the Bluffton High School, married Dr. Albert E. Bixler of Rawson, Ohio; and Harry M., who was graduated from the Bluffton High School and a commercial course in the Business College of Toledo, Ohio, is a veteran of the great war having been in the Medical Supply Department at Camp Sherman, Chillicothe, Ohio.  After his honorable discharge he engaged with the Elmer Miller Coal Company.  Harry M. Hall was married to Miss Jean Hoyt of Toledo, Ohio.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 290
  BURDETTA F. HALL has always lived in Jackson Township.  His home today is the farm where he was born, and besides the business represented in the proprietorship of this place he has always been identified with every good movement of local citizenship.  His farm is known as Bonnie Crest Farm, comprises ninety-eight acres and is located in sections 8 and 17 in Jackson Township, two miles north and half a mile west of Lafayette.
     He was born there Nov. 26, 1873, a son of William and Elizabeth (Watt) Hall.  The Halls were pioneers of Allen County, the family having been established here during the first tides of early settlement.  William Hall was born in Jackson Township Jan. 13, 1832, and his wife was born in the same county in 1837.  They grew up in Jackson Township, had the advantages of the pioneer schools, after their marriage settled on the land now contained in Bonnie Crest Farm.  After many years of work and responsibility as farmers they moved to Bluffton, Ohio, where they lived out their days.  They were very devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and filled all the offices.  The father always voted as a democrat.  Of their seven children six are still living:  Hulda, widow of Milford Boyd; A. D. Hall of Bluffton; Electa, wife of Wilson Hawk; Leanna, wife of David Bogart; Jasper C., of Texas, and Burdetta F.
     Burdetta F. Hall
while growing up attended the common schools of Jackson Township, and not long after reaching his majority, married, in November, 1895, Eda C. Hall.  She was born in Lafayette, Ohio, June 29, 1878, a daughter of Philip and Catherine (Fridley) Hall, her father being a native of Jackson Township.  Her parents, were married in Pickaway County and soon settled in Lafayette, where her father died when she was four years of age.  Mr. and Mrs. Philip Hall were very active members of and workers in the Methodist Church.  Mr. Hall is one of three living children, her brother, N. F. Hall, being a resident of Lima, while E. T. Hall lives in Jackson Township.  Mrs. Hall was educated at Lafayette and also attended school at Ada, Ohio.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hall have three children.  Clifford D., who graduated from the Bluffton High School and the Lima Business College, enlisted at the time of the World war, was in the 146th Infantry of the 37th Division, and spent nine months in France, part of the time on the battle lines.  He received an honorable discharge as a sergeant major, and is now connected with the Buckeye Pipe Line Company of Lima.  He is a member of the Masonic Order.  The second son, Doyt P., graduated from the Lafayette High School and the Lima Business College and was also in training as a soldier during the World war.  He is also a Mason.  The third son, Edison F. is now attending the seventh grade of the public schools at Lafayette.
     Mrs. Hall is a member of the Eastern Star at Lafayette.  He is one of the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and politically votes as a democrat.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 346
  EUGENE T. HALL is the proprietor of the Idle Hour Place, a name that is suggestive of the attractiveness of the landscape, but in some senses belies the character of its owner, who is one of the most energetic and enterprising farmers and stockmen in Allen County.  His farm, comprising 130 acres is situated in Jackson Township.
     Though Mr. Hall is a native of southern Missouri, he has spent practically all his life in Allen County, and his people have been identified with this section of Ohio for several generations.  He was born at Knobnoster, Missouri, Oct. 11, 1872, son of Philip M. and Catherine (Fridly) Hall.  His father was born in Allen County, Ohio, in 1837.  The mother was born in Pickaway County, this state, in 1842, and they were married in that county and soon settled on a farm in Allen County.  On leaving Ohio they went to southern Missouri, where the father was in the general merchandise business at Knobnoster for about eight years.  Selling his interests there he returned to Allen County, and subsequently was a merchant at Lafayette until his death in 1882.  The mother survived until 1893.  Both were members of the Methodist Church, and the father was very active in his church and also in the Sunday school, which he served as superintendent.  He was a charter members of Sugar Lodge No. 153, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and was its first secretary and afterwards worshipful master.  Politically a democrat, he held the office of justice of the peace for a number of years.  This honored old couple of Allen County were the parents of five children:  Norvil F., formerly a teacher in the public schools and now a resident of Lima; Edwin, deceased; Eugene T.; Mamie, the deceased wife of James E. Fisher; and Eda, wife of B. F. Hall of Jackson Township.
     Eugene T. Hall was three months old when his parents returned to Allen County, and he was just ten when his father died.  He made the best of rather limited opportunities to gain an education, and one of his early experiences came at the age of fifteen, when he went to North Dakota and lived with an uncle in the northwest for two years.  Returning to Ohio, he lived on his grandfather's farm, and after completing his education in the public schools also attended the Ohio Northern University at Ada.
     On Sept. 3, 1894, Mr. Hall married Miss Daisy Hefner, daughter of Jacob Hefner.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Hall are active members of the Eastern Star, and he is affiliated with Sagar Lodge No. 513, Free and Accepted Masons.  In politics he supports the democratic ticket.  Mr. Hall is a farmer has received considerable note through his herd of Jersey Cattle.  The herd bull is Ferns Golden.  He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Co-operative Elevator of Lafayette, and a number of interests identify him with the welfare and progress of the community.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 340
  GEORGE HALL, D. D. S.  It is not always easy to discover and define the hidden forces that move a life of ceaseless activity and large professional success; little more can be done than to note their manifestation in the career of the individual under consideration.  Doctor Hall has long held distinctive prestige in a calling which requires for its basis sound mentality and rigid professional training and thorough mastery of technical knowledge, with the skill to apply the same.  The gentleman whose name appears at the head of this paragraph is numbered among the successful and respected professional men of Allen County, where he has lived for more than a half century.  He also is numbered among that great army of defenders of the Union who in the dark days of the early '60s offered their lives on the altar of their country's freedom and perpetuity.  By the life of consistent living and worthy purpose he has won the respect and esteem of the entire community.
     George Hall was born in Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, on May 24, 1842 and is the son of Harrison and Anna (Wright) Hall, both of Zanesville, Ohio.  There they grew up together and eventually both families moved to Iowa, where subsequently the young couple were married.  Harrison Hall engaged in the building and contracting business there until 1863, when he moved to Lima, Ohio, and Continued in the same line of business.  He bought nine houses and lots here and became extensively engaged in the real estate business.  In 1868 he and his son George erected what is now the east part of the Lima House, which was then owned by John Shade, and many of the prominent buildings of that period were erected by him.  He died in 1888, and his wife died at Columbus Grove, Ohio, in 1873.  They were the parents of the following children:  Eliza, deceased; George, the subject of this sketch; William, of Detroit, Ohio; Hattie, the wife of Daniel McComb, of Toledo; Edward, of Toledo, Ohio; and Rachel, deceased.
     George Hall attended the public schools of Davenport, Iowa, and later attended Cornell College at Mt. Vernon, Iowa, where he studied medicine and dentistry with the intention of devoting his life to the latter profession.  However, his plans were interrupted by the outbreak of the Civil War, and on Apr. 24, 1861, he enlisted in the three-months' service as a member of Company A, First Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry.  At the expiration of his first period of enlistment he re-enlisted at Mount Vernon, becoming a member of Company A of the Thirteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, which became a part of the Army of the Tennessee.  He took part in all the campaigns and battles in which that army had a part, including the siege of Atlanta, where on July 22, 1864, Mr. Hall was captured by the Confederates.  He was confined in Andersonville and Florence prisons, enduring all the hardships and sufferings for which those prison pens became notorious, but on Feb. 22, 1865, he succeeded in effecting his escape from Florence and rejoined his regiment at Wilmington, North Carolina.  In the spring of 1864 he had veteranized at Vicksburg, and he received his final discharge in July, 1865, after a most honorable and faithful service of over four years.
     After leaving the army Mr. Hall came to Lima, where his parents had located during his absence in the army, and here for a time he was associated with his father in the business of contracting and building.  This was aside from his main purpose, however, and in 1867 he formed a partnership with Dr. C. W. Swisher and engaged in dentistry.  He was successful in that profession and has been engaged in it here continuously since that time.  For ten years he and Dr. Swisher were associated in the work, at the end of which time Doctor Hall bought out his partner and formed a new association with Doctor Moon, but four years later Dr. Hall acquired sole ownership of the office and thereafter remained alone in the practice.  He has through all these years enjoyed a high reputation in the community because of his professional attainments as well as because of his high personal character, and has commanded a representative clientele.
     Doctor Hall for a number of years took a prominent part in local public affairs, having served ten years continuously as postmaster of Lima under the administrations of Presidents Harirson and McKinley.  He also served four years as a member of the City Council, a part of the time being president of that body.  During that period he was instrumental in securing the construction of the sewers through the public square, the Timberlake sewer and the Banta sewer, and among other improvements inaugurated by him was a large amount of street paving and the building by the city of its own water works plant.  He also served four years as a member of the City School Board and four years as city director.
     On Oct. 13, 1870, Doctor Hall was married to Virginia Hackedorn, who was born at Cardington, Ohio, the daughter of George C. Hackedorn, a native of Ohio, and whose wife was also a native of this state.  To Doctor and Mrs. Hall was born a son, Homer L., who was a successful dentist, but who died in 1899, at the age of twenty-four years, leaving a widow and daughter.  Two children also passed away in infancy.
     Politically Doctor Hall has been a life-long supporter of the Republican party, and his religious membership is with the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.  Fraternally, he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in which he has attained to the degree of Knight Templar, and has held many offices in the various bodies of this order.  He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of Mark Armstrong Post No. 202, Grand Army of the Republic, which he has served as commander three terms.  He has received distinctive preferment at the hands of his old comrades by being elected commander of the Department of Ohio, Grand Army of the Republic.  He also holds membership in the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.  He is a trustee of the Allen County Historical Society and a member of the Board of Commerce.
     Such in brief is the record of one of Allen County's honored citizens, a man whom the people respect and admire because of his unassailable character, his public spirited support of the best things in the community life and his professional standing.  To write in detail a full account of his long and useful life would require a much more elaborate article than the nature of this work admits or requires, but sufficient has been said to make it eminently consonant that this tribute to him be incorporated herein.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 5
  ISAAC JESSE HALL.  One of the successful general farmers of Allen County is Isaac Jesse Hall, part owner of the "Locust Bower Farm," one of the model rural properties of Shawnee Township.  He is justly numbered as one of the leading agriculturalists of his section.  He was born in section 22, Shawnee Township, Feb. 20, 1864, a son of Jesse and Margaret (Anthony) Hall, he born near Hubbard, Trumbull County, Ohio, and she in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.  Jacob R. and Elizabeth (Trusdale) Hall, natives of Pennsylvania, the paternal grandparents made the trip overland with teams to Allen County, Ohio, and entered Government land in Shawnee Township.  This farm was in section 21, and was covered with timber, but they cleared it off and developed a fine property.  The maternal grandparents, David and Elizabeth (McGrady) Anthony, also natives of Pennsylvania, traveled to Allen County from the Little Sandusky Plains at a very early day and settled in Shawnee Township.
     After their marriage Jesse Hall an his wife located in section 22, and cleared a farm there.  They became the owners of forty-three and one-half acres in section 15, forty-nine acres in section 22, and sixty-five acres more in section 22.  His death occurred in December, 1878, but his widow survived him for many years, passing away in 1906.  Their children were as follows:  Nancy, who is Mrs. George W. Wolfe, of Pierceton, Indiana; Mary E., who married William L. Grove, is deceased and so is her husband; Sidney, who is Mrs. John A. Bussert; Scott, who is deceased; Sarah Kate, who is Mrs. J. E. Hesser, of Ada, Ohio; Anna, who died at the age of four years; David G., who is a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church and lives at Napoleon, Ohio; Isaac Jesse, whose name heads this review; and David and Estella, both of whom are deceased.
     Growing up on the home place, Isaac Jesse Hall attended the schools of his district, and has always lived on his present farm of 108 acres in sections 15 and 22, which he and his brother, David G., own.  Here Mr. Hall is carrying on general farming and is recognized as a very successful man in his line.  He is interested in local improvements, especially those tending to secure good roads, and he has rendered his community a valuable service in the office of constable, to which he was elected on the republican ticket.  In 1900 he was appointed truant officer of Shawnee Township and served eighteen years in that position.  He belongs to Lima Lodge Episcopal Church holds his membership, and he has served it as a trustee for many years.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 88
  WILLIAM W. HALL, a native of Allen County has during his active career made several changes in location and business, each one marking a step in advance of his previous condition, and today is the owner of one of the large farms of Auglaize Township.  His farm home is three miles south of Harrod.
     Mr. Hall was born in Monroe Township two and a half miles west of Beaver Dam, Aug. 23, 1871, son of Jacob and Harriet E. (Wallace) Hall.  His father was born in New Jersey.  Oct. 5, 1830 and died Oct. 12, 1907, after a long and well spent life.  He was brought to Allen County by his parents, grew up here, and after his marriage settled on the old farm in Monroe Township, where he lived until his death.  His wife was born in Pennsylvania, Apr. 29, 1837, and was also brought to Allen County when a girl.  She still owns and occupies the old homestead and is a fine old lady, now eighty-three years of age.  She is a member of the United Brethren Church, as was Jacob Hall who in politics espoused the cause of the republican party.  The parents had five children: Hilas M., who died at the age of thirty-two; Belle, wife of A. M. Herron of Monroe Township; Rebecca, wife of A. W. Roberts of Lima; Christina, wife of Jacob F. Miller of Monroe Township, and William W.
     William W. Hall
spent his early life on the  old farm in Monroe Township, and was educated in the public schools there.  He was well trained to the business of farming and on Feb. 15, 1891, he established a home of his own by his marriage to Lula C. Boyer.  She was born in the same township as her husband.  Aug. 25, 1872, daughter of G. F. and Edith A. Boyer.  Her education came from the district schools near Rockford.
     After his marriage Mr. Hall lived for five years on his father's farm and then bought eighty acres in Paulding County, but sold after two years, and for the next three years was engaged in the grocery business at Lima.  He then secured eighty acres in Monroe Township, and was on that farm four years, from 1908 and in 1912 bought and came to his present farm.  He has four hundred thirty acres, one of the larger farms of the township, and uses practically all of it for his varied industry as a stockman.  Mr. Hall buys cattle and hogs by the carload, prepares them for the market and ships, being one of the extensive stock feeders of the county.  Politically Mr. Hall supports the republican ticket.
     He and his wife have seven children: Lyle F., who spent six months in training as a soldier at Camp Jackson, South Carolina; Clifford B., a high school graduate, who was also in the army at Camp Jackson and Camp Wadsworth; Coda B., a graduate of high school; Cloyd D., at home; Harold, still in school; Edward L., high school boy, and Mayme, attending the public schools.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 346
  WILLIAM A. HARDESTY is a Perry Township citizen who has always gone in for good farming, but in addition to keeping up the productive end of his business has likewise identified himself with community affairs, in which he has played a sustaining part. 
     Mr. Hardesty represents one of the old and honored family names of Allen County.  He was born in Perry Township Dec. 19, 1872, a son of Joshua and Sarah J. (Comestock) Hardesty.  His father was born in Green County, Ohio, son of Steven and Nancy (Ellis) Hardesty, natives of the same county.  Steven Hardesty came at an early day to Allen County.  Sarah J. Comestock was born at Lima, where here parents, Charles and Philena (Bond) Comestock, were early settlers.  Joshua Hardesty after his marriage settled on the old farm of his father in section 12, of Perry Township, and much of the land in that section has been farmed by the Hardestys for more than half a century.  Joshua Hardesty and wife lived out their lives in that community, where he died Sept. 30, 1910, and his wife in January, 1912.  They had a family of seven children: Clora, Mrs. H. W. McCoy of Union Township, Van Wert County; Leola, Mrs. J. A. McDonel of Perry Township; William Albert; Minnie, who died at the age of eighteen months; Lena M., wife of A. T. Richards of Bath Township; Edna, Mrs. R. W. McPherson of Trumbull County, Ohio; and Charles Walter, who also lives in Trumbull County.
     William Albert Hardesty was educated with his brothers and sisters in the district school near the home farm and from an early age he acquainted himself with the duties of an agriculturist.  On Feb. 27, 1895, at the age of twenty-three, he married Jessie Tapscott Mrs. Hardesty was born in Perry Township, Dec. 15, 1874, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth A. (Crossley) Tapscott, natives of the same locality.  For a year after his marriage Mr. Hardesty lived on the home farm, then spent a year in Auglaize Township, and after returning to the homestead bought a few acres of his own and improved it with a good house and barn.  He farmed most of the acres of the home place and after the death of his father he acquired that property of 110 acres.  Since then he has sold twelve acres, but still retains the remainder and has made it a very valuable property.
     Mrs. Hardesty has a happy household of nine children, the oldest twenty-four and the youngest six.  Their names and dates of birth are: Grace L., Apr. 28,1896; Edith E., July 27, 1898; Joseph J., Sept. 24, 1900; Floyd E., Sept. 1, 1903; Letha O., Aug. 11, 1905; Minerva A., Dec. 29, 1907; Laura V., Nov. 3, 1909; Byron T., Feb. 20, 1912; and Elizabeth J., Oct. 10, 1914.  For many years Mr. Hardesty has been an active member of the Perry Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife and children all join him in that relationship.  The Hardesty do much to keep up this church.  Mr. Hardesty served as its trustee about nine years, is treasurer of the Sunday school, while Mrs. Hardesty is president of the Ladies' Aid Society, and their daughter Grace is steward and a teacher in the Sunday school and superintendent of the cradle roll and treasurer of the Centenary Fund.  The daughter Edith is secretary of the Sunday school.  Minerva is assistant librarian and Letha is assistant pianist.  Mr. Hardesty also served one term as township trustee, and in politics is a republican.  Joseph J., the eldest son , married Ola I. Motter Oct. 12, 1920.  The other children are all at home.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 171
  ALBERT M. HARROD, owner of a valuable farm near the Auglaize Church in the township of that name, is a member of that very old and substantial family whose name is carried by one of the villages of Allen County, and the Harrods came here in pioneer times and as a family they have contributed a great deal to the advancement and improvement of Allen County.
     Albert M. Harrod was born in Auglaize Township, a quarter of a mile east of the center, on Mar. 7, 1852.  He is a son of William and Mary (Copeland) Harrod, the former born in Knox County, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1819.  The paternal grandparents were Levi and Rebecca Harrod, the former born June 30, 1777, and the latter Apr. 12, 1780.  They were parents of twelve children.  Levi Harrod entered land from the Government in Auglaize Township, and it was on that property Albert M. Harrod was born.  On the same farm William and Mary Harrod lived out their lives, and owned at one time 440 acres.  They were closely identified with the church and school institutions of their community, and William Harrod always voted as a democrat.  They had six children: James M., who was founder of the Town of Harrod; Margaret R., who was the wife of Henry C. Patterson and died in August, 1919; Albert M.; Laura A., wife of John W. Jacobs, of Auglaize Township; Louis B., of Auglaize Township; and Dora B., wife of A. M. Growden of Champaign County, Ohio.
     Albert M. Harrod spent his early life on the home farm and attended the district schools, but when past eighteen joined his brother James M. in the operation of a sawmill and general lumber business in Hardin County, Ohio, the mill being later located near the present site of the Town of Harrod.  After about four years Albert Harrod sold his interests to his brother and re-entered school at Ada, and after his course there was a successful teacher for four years.
     On Aug. 18, 1878, Mr. Harrod married Hannah C. Leatherman, who was born in Auglaize Township Mar. 29, 1857, and was reared and educated in her native township and in Jackson Township.  Mr. and Mrs. Harrod have one son, Jesse R., born June 1, 1885, who finished his high school course at Ada.  He also attended college at Lima and Ada, then the Ohio State University, and became principal of the Ada High School.  He is now a teacher in Ada College.  Jesse Harrod married Maude E. Hull, and they have a son Paul M., born Feb. 15, 1910.
     Mr. Harrod and family are members of the Christian Church at Harrod and for many years he has been a sustaining factor in that organization.  He is one of the oldest township officials in Allen County and has been continuously in service as township clerk since April, 1880, a period of over forty years.  He has also served as trustee and member of the School Board.  He is a democrat in politics.  Mr. Harrod owns a well improved farm of 120 acrs and is a stockholder in the Harrod State Bank.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 327

Mr. Clifton Harrod
and Family
CLIFF HARROD has been a farmer resident of Perry township for over thirty years, and by good management and persistent industry has achieved that prosperity represented in a high class modern farm with all the improvements and productive facilities.
     Mr. Harrod, whose daily mail comes to him over rural route No. 6 out of Lima, was born in Auglaize county in February, 1867.  His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth (Reese) Harrod, and his grand-parents, Levi and Martha Harrod, were natives of Knox county, Ohio.  Levi Harrod was a pioneer in Auglaize county, entering the land from the Government and living on it until his death.  Thomas Harrod was born in Auglaize county, while his wife was a native of Allen county.  After their marriage they settled on a farm entered by Levi Harrod, but Thomas Harrod had only a few years in which to realize his ambitions in life, and died on the old homestead in January, 1868, when his son Cliff was about a year old.  The widowed mother reared her children and died in St .Johns, Ohio, at a good old age in February, 1908.  She was the mother of three children: Eva, wife of Frisby Flemming, of Wapakoneta, Ohio; Bell, who died at the age of twenty; and Cliff.
     Cliff Harrod
grew up on the home farm of his mother and had the advantage of the common schools in his neighborhood.  Soon after reaching his majority he married on Dec. 28, 1888, Dora Nans, who was born in Auglaize county, where her parents, Charles and Imelda (Metz) Nans, were also born.  About a year after his marriage Mr. Harrod came to Perry township of Allen county, and soon bought thirty-three acres of land in section 33.  Most of it had been cleared.  About two years later he bought thirty adjoining acres in the same section.  This new purchase had a small house and old stable, but he used those facilities only until he could supplant them with better construction.  His building improvements now are of the very best.  With the land he bought and with eighty acres owned by his wife and with another tract of eleven acres, all in Section 33, Mr. Harrod has a good sized and well proportioned farm, highly productive and representing a modest fortune.  Mr. Harrod is a Democrat in politics.  He and his wife have four children; Edna, Mrs. Lee Martin, of Lima; Vona, wife of Paul Smith, of Lima; Jesse, who lives at Westminster, Ohio, and by his marriage to Lula Gray has a daughter, Wilmajean; and Richard, the youngest, still at home.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 162
  JOHN ROSCOE HARROD.  Lying as it does in the center of a rich agricultural region, Elida has heavy livestock interests, and one of the men who is finding it profitable to devote his time and attention to this branch of commerce is John Roscoe Harrod who is also interested in farming and stock raising in the vicinity of Elida, his operations being carried on, on his fine farm of seventy-seven acres.
     John Roscoe Harrod was born near Westminster, Ohio, 1876, a son of Ferdinand and Ruth (Smith) Harrod.  The Harrods come from English stock, and all of them are interested in farming and stock-raising, and have been for some generations back.  Of the four living children of Ferdinand Harrod and his wife John Roscoe is the second one.
     Growing up in his native county, his attended the district schools during the winter months, and assisted his father in the summer ones.  For some time he was engaged in farming and handling stock in conjunction with his father, who is still in the business, but about twenty-two years ago he branched out for himself and has been eminently successful in his ventures.
     In 1898 Mr. Harrod was married to Esta Davis, a daughter of Anthony and Hannah (Eaton) Davis, and they became the parents of three children: Elbert William, Horma Orlo and Lena Alretta.  A man of strong convictions, Mr. Harrod has always wanted to select his own candidates and votes independently of party lines.  The United Brethren Church holds his membership and benefits from his liberal donations.  It is safe to say that no project of public interest is ever carried to successful completion that he has not given it his hearty and effective support, for he has the welfare of Elida at heart and is ready and willing to do a good citizen's part to advance it in every way possible.  As a farmer he has done much to encourage better production, and is a strong advocate of good roads, better schools and community interests.  Such men as he are valuable assets to their sections, and are deserving of the confidence and respect they always command.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 150
  CLYDE K. HAY.  With the responsibility of a 240 acre farm Clyde K. Hay is one of the very busy men of Allen County and is one of the important contributors to the county's agricultural prosperity and progress.  Mr. Hay inherits progressiveness from his father, long one of the most successful men in agricultural affairs in Allen County.
     Clyde K. Hay was born in West Newton in Auglaize Township May 14, 1874.  His parents were James A. and Isabelle (Faulkner) Hay.  His father was born in Knox County, Ohio, Feb. 15 1833, and his mother in Champaign County Dec. 28, 1838.  Both came to Allen County when young, were married here Nov. 1, 1855, and they at once settled on a farm in Auglaize County.  In 1870 the family moved to West Newton, and still later to Harrod where the parents spent the rest of their days.  The mother died in November, 1918, at the age of eighty.  James Hay was a man of great industry, of good judgment and of much resourcefulness.  He owned a large amount of farm land, and was always seeking the best means of operating it, and was usually among the first to procure labor saving machinery.  He bought the first self binder in his neighborhood.  He was very public spirited, served on the School Board and in township offices, and was an active republican.  He and his wife had the following children:  William H., born Sept. 7, 1856; Mary E., born Sept. 30, 1858; Ada C., born Apr. 8, 1862; Clara E., born Dec. 8, 1865; Elmer C., born Mar. 17, 1869; Clyde K., born May 14, 1874; and Harry H., born Mar. 20, 1877.  Six of these children are still living.
     Clyde K. Hay was educated in the common schools and also took a commercial course in Lima.  For over twenty years he has been one of the busiest farmers in the Harrod community and has always given much attention to good live stock.  He is one of the directors of the Harrod State Bank.  The officers of this institution are L. B. Harrod, president; John A. Grubb, vice president; Walter E. Hyre, cashier; while the directors are L. B. Harrod, John A. Grubb, M. L. Johnston, L. B. Miller, W. H. Custer, C. C. White, W. C. Johnston, C. A. Cochensparger and C. K. Hay.
     Mr. Hay
has served as a member of the School Board and is present clerk of the board.  He is   active in the Methodist Church, is a republican and is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America.
     In April, 1900, he married Siddie Rice, who was born in Harden County, Ohio.  Apr. 23, 1880.  Mr. and Mrs. Hay are very proud of their large family of children: James R., who was born in 1900 and died when a promising boy of twelve years; Lennel H., born Sept. 10, 1903, who is a graduate of both the Harrod and Lima schools and is now a student in the engineering department in the Ohio Northern University at Ada; Martha I., born Feb. 8, 1906, a high school girl; Don L., born June 9, 1908; Mary I., born Jan. 9, 1911; Elizabeth, born June 14, 1913; Ruth B., born Apr. 3, 1916; and William H., born July 1, 1918.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 322
  VIRGIL H. HAY, M. D.  A rising young physician and surgeon of Lima, Virgil H. Hay, M. D., has established a large and lucrative practice, and is fast winning for himself an honorable and prominent name in the medical profession of Allen county.  A native of Indiana, he was born Sept. 24, 1889, in Allen county, and being yet on the sunny side of manhood's prime may look forward to a long future career of usefulness, both in the sphere of professional activity and in his more private relations as a man and a citizen.
     His father, the late William H. Hay, was born in Auglaize county, Ohio, and early in life settled on a farm in Allen county, Indiana, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in July, 1910.  His wife, whose maiden name was Cinderella Krick, was born in Allen county, Indiana, and is now living with her son Virgil in Lima.
     Laying a good foundation for his future education in the public schools of Allen county, Indiana, Virgil H. Hay was graduated from the Monroeville High School.  Having decided upon a professional career, hen then entered the Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and was there graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1912.  He spent the following year as an interne in Saint Francis Hospital in Columbus, there acquiring useful knowledge and experience.  Locating in Lima, Ohio, in 1913, Dr. Hay began practice as a physician and surgeon, and met with most encouraging success.  On Apr. 10, 1917, laying aside his professional ambitions, the Doctor enlisted in the medical department of the United States Army, and, having received his commission was assigned on June 21, 1917, to the Thirty-seventh Division, in which he was lieutenant.  After spending three months at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, he was sent with his division to Camp Sheridan, Montgomery, Alabama, where he was located several months.
     On June 15, 1918, the Doctor sailed with his command for France, where he saw actual service, his division having been on several sectors, including Baccarat, Avocourt, Meuse-Argonne, Pannes, and Ypres-Lys, where he went "over the top" twice.  On Mar. 16, 1919, he sailed for the United States, and on Apr. 28, 1919, was discharged from the service at Camp Sherman Ohio, with the rank of major.  Returning to Lima, Dr. Hay resumed his practice, and has since met with characteristic success, his patronage extending throughout the city and its suburbs.
     Dr. Hay married on Apr. 12, 1917, Marie M. Kelley, who was born in Muncie, Indiana, a daughter of Patrick and Martha M. Kelley, and their only child, Robert H. Hay, was born Feb. 22, 1918, at Montgomery, Alabama.  A stanch Democrat in politics, the Doctor was elected coroner of Allen county, Ohio, in November, 1916, being the youngest man ever elected to that office in the county, and served satisfactorily until entering the army, when he resigned the position.  He is a regular attendant of the Lutheran Church, and a liberal contributor towards its support.  Fraternally Dr. Hay is a member of Monroeville, Indiana, Lodge No. 283, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of Lima Lodge No. 54, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 80
  FRED ALBERT HOLLAND was the type of business man and citizen recognized as an invaluable asset in any community.  He was as public spirited as he was prosperous, and his former degree of esteem and admiration to his memory.
     Mr. Holland was born at Tiffin, Ohio, Apr. 16, 1854, son of Samuel Kent and Adeline (Buskirk) Holland, the former a native of Canada and the latter of Seneca county, Ohio.  The family moved from Tiffin to Lima in 1858.  Samuel K. Holland became interested with B. C. Faurot and G. G. Hackedorn in conducting the Lima paper mill.  Later he was interested in banking, owned and operated a grocery and hardware store, and out of his varied undertakings achieved success and one of the influential men of the city.  Both he and his wife are now deceased and lie side by side in Woodlawn cemetery.
     Fred Albert Holland lived at Lima from the age of four years, attended the local schools for his early education and later a business college at Sandusky.  When barely eighteen years of age he was entrusted by the wholesale grocery house of Moore Brothers with the responsibility of traveling salesman, and he soon demonstrated that he had in him the qualities of a real business man.  After an apprenticeship as a representative of this firm for several years he used his capital and credit to engage in the grocery business on his own account and was one of the leading merchants of Lima for other prominent men of the city in organizing the Allen County Savings & Loan Bank and was one of the Board of Directors of that institution the rest of his life.  He made his capital at Lima and kept it at home in useful investments.  On property owned by him at the southeast corner of High and North Main streets he built a large block which bears his name, and is one of the finest buildings for store and office purposes at Lima.
     Sept. 18, 1878, Mr. Holland married Miss Jessie Shafer, who was born at Smithville, Wayne county, Ohio, daughter of James K. and Rosenna (Weiler) Shafer, the former a native of Stark county, Ohio, and the latter of Pennsylvania.  After their marriage in Wayne county Mr. and Mrs. Shafer moved to Lima in 1864, an as an expert mechanic he was employed in a machine shop that is now the Lima Locomotive Company, and continued in its wood working department for many years.  Mrs. Holland, who survives her husband, was educated in the grade and high schools of Lima and is an active member of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.  Her two children are Rolla B., of Lima, and Adda, Mrs. Daniel Morris, of Lima.
     The late Mr. Holland was a member of the official board of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.  He was a Republican, and in the line of public duty especially responded to the needs of education, and he was also one of the first members of the Board of Public service.  He was a charter member of the Knights of Pythias and passed all the chairs in that order and was a colonel on the Major General's Staff of the Uniformed Rank.  He also belonged to Lima Lodge No. 52, B. P. O. E.
     When they were married Mr. and Mrs. Holland moved to a frame house which occupied the site of the present brick bungalow of modern design which Mr. Holland built in 1909.  This is still the family home, and in its comforts it represents the satisfaction of one of the great ambitions of the late Mr. Holland to provide wisely and liberally for his wife and children.  In that home Mr. Holland lived nearly seven years, and died there Jan. 27, 1916.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 162
  ROLLA BUSKIRK HOLLAND.  One of the most important lines of business in any community is that connected in any way with the handling of real estate, and this is especially true within recent years when a shortage of buildings for all purposes has become so acute, the operation of those standing entailing largely increased expense so that a more than usual degree of astuteness is demanded of the realtors.  One of the men who is proving his particular fitness for this business at Lima is Rolla B. Holland, whose offices are at 210 Holland Block.
     Rolla B. Holland was born at Lima, Ohio, on Aug. 8,1879, a son of Fred A. and Jessie (Shafer) Holland, he born at Tiffin, Ohio, and she at Smithville, Ohio.  The paternal grandfather, S. K. Holland went to Lima at an early day and there established himself in a retail grocery business, being succeeded by his son, Fred A. Holland.  The latter became one of the extensive business men of the city, and in 1893 built the first five-story business and office block in Lima, to which in 1900 he made a large addition, and it is now the largest building of Allen County.  His death occurred in 1916, but his widow survives and lives at 883 West Spring Street.  Rolla B. Holland has a younger sister, Adda, of Lima, who married D. W. Morris, the two being the only children of their parents.
     Leaving high school about 1897, Rolla B. Holland took a commercial course at the Lima Business College, and became an oil operator at Lima, and then, about 1908, went to Portland, Oregon, as manager of the Star Drilling Machine Company, and remained in that city for three years, and then returned to Lima, and buying a farm in Shawnee Township, was occupied in conducting it for five years, then sold it, moved back to Lima, and became interested in handling city real estate, with offices in the block which bears his name.
     On Oct. 20, 1908, Mr. Holland was united in marriage with Helen M. Mackenzie, born at Lima, a daughter of E. C. and Ella (Gorton) Mackenzie Mr. and Mrs. Holland have the following children: Helen Kathryn, Fred Mackenzie, Rolla Buskirk, Jr., and Eugene Gorton.  Mr. Holland is an Episcopalian.  His political convictions are such as to make him a republican.  Fraternally he is a Knight Templar Mason, belongs to the Mystic Shrine, and also to Lima Lodge No. 54, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.  Mr. Holland has reached his present prosperity through his own endeavors, and he has also earned the respect and approbation of his associates in business as well as of his personal friends.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 17
  WILLIAM J. HOLLAND.  While through the greater part of his active career Mr. Holland has been identified with practical farming, owning a good farm in Auglaize Township, three-quarters of a mile west of Westminster, he has also been active in business affairs, and is widely known over Allen and surrounding counties as a buyer and feeder of live stock, and most of the farmers of Allen County have at some time or other had dealings with him in this relationship.
     Mr. Holland has spent most of his life in Allen County but was born in the State of Iowa Mar. 11, 1878, a son of James H. and Catherine (Deitz) Holland.  His mother was a native of Germany and was brought to this country when a girl with her parents.  His father was born in Green County, Ohio, was three weeks old when his mother died, and at the age of six weeks was brought to Allen County and reared in the family of William Weikle.  At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in 1862 and served until the close of hostilities.  In the meantime he had entered land in the southwest corner of Auglaize Township, but after the war married and settled on that farm.  Subsequently he lived on a farm in Iowa for a time, during which period his son William was born.  Later he returned to Allen County and continued farming here until his death.  He was an active church member and a republican in politics.  He and his wife had eight children: F. A. Holland, of Auglaize Township; Nannie J., deceased; William J.; Bessie, wife of Alvin Gooderling; Edna Lenora; and Jessie, wife of Paul Heckler.
     William J. Holland
was reared and educated in Auglaize Township, and when a young man he acquired his first land in the purchase of twelve acres.  The farm which he uses for crop growing and the feeding of live stock in preparation for the market now comprises eighty-six acres, and he also has some interests in other lands.  He is the owner of twelve or fifteen lots of real estate and in his business as a buyer and dealer in cattle, horses and hogs he handles on the average about $1,000 worth of live stock every day, chiefly to the Lima Packing Company.  Another business enterprise in which he is actively interested is the Westminster Sand and Gravel Company, Incorporated, of which he is general manager.
     Sept. 7, 1904, he married Ellen M. Brown, a native of Allen County.  They have four children: Breta, Frank, Doyle and ThelmaMr. Holland is affiliated with Lima Lodge No. 581 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and with the Travelers Protective Association.  Politically he is a republican.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 342

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights