OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:  
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio
Vol. II

by Wm. Rusler - Publ.
1921

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1921 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 
  N. ELMER THOMAS.  Beginning work as a boy with responsibilities in advance of his age, through a long apprenticeship serving and learning.  N. Elmer Thomas eventually reached a plane of independence in business, and as a member of the firm of the Evans & Thomas Hardware Company is identified with one of the leading concerns in Lima.
     He was born in Lima Jan. 24, 1872, son of Louis and Margaret (Jones) Thomas.  Both his father and mother were of Welsh parentage, and the families first settled in Dayton.  Louis Thomas and wife spent all their lives in Lima, where he died in 1888 and his wife in 1908.
     N. Elmer Thomas was the seventh in a family of eight children.  He was able to attend school regularly to the age of sixteen, and then on account of his father's death became a wage earner and worked for a time driving an express wagon.  Not long afterward he began an express wagon.  Not long afterward he began his apprenticeship at the hardware trade as a handy man for Ewing & Emrick, hardware merchants in the Holmes Block.  He spent sixteen years with that firm, and when he left them he was head salesman.  Another old time employe was E. A. Evans, who had been with the firm of twenty-two years.  In 1907 these two men joined forces and established a hardware business of their own in the Metropolitan Block under the name Evans & Thomas.  They have had the satisfaction of seeing their business grow and prosper steadily through successive years, and now have a large trade both in the city and over a country district twenty-five miles around.
     Mr. Thomas is also interested in many other lines of business.  He is a Republican and is affiliated with Lima Lodge of Elks.  In 1906 he married Miss Rowena Knox, daughter of John and Margaret Knox, of Lima.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 91
  EDWARD J. THOMPSON.  Farming has been the life business of Edward J. Thompson.  His home is five and a half miles southeast of Delphos on Elida rural route No. 1.  Out of many years experience he has achieved a satisfying degree of success, has won the esteem of his neighborhood and has always been ready with his co-operation in movements to promote the general welfare.
     Mr. Thompson was born in Allen County Dec. 27, 1875.  He is a son of William and Margaret (Holmes) Thompson, a venerable couple who have been married fifty-six years and have lived in Allen County Nov. 25, 1827, ninety-three years ago, while the mother was born in Hocking County in April, 1842.  They came with their respective parents to Marion Township, grew up here, were educated in the public schools and were married Mar. 13, 1864.  They celebrated their golden wedding anniversary more than six year ago.  They have long been sustaining members of the Marion Baptist Church, and the father has been identified with the republican party since the time of its organization.  Their three children still living are Della, wife of C. L. Allen, of Ridge Township, Van Wert County; John W., of Marion Township; and Edward J.
     Edward J. Thompson grew up on the old homestead in Marion Township, and after getting his education in the district school lived at home with his parents and helped his father run the farm from the time he was twenty-one until he was thirty.
     Apr. 12, 1906, he married Emma Ridenour, who was born in Marion Township Sept. 15, 1877, a daughter of Peter and Catherine Ridenour.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Thompson lived a mile and a half southwest of their present home, where he owned twenty acres.  For a year and a half he rented his father's place, and then bought his present property, where he has ninety-three acres well cultivated and improved.  Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have two sons: Roscoe, born Aug. 8, 1907, a student in the public schools; and Richard, born July 13, 1919.
     Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are members of Morris Chapel of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Politically he votes with republican party.  Besides his farm Mr. Thompson is a stockholder in the Elida Equity Exchange and in the local telephone company.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 260
  JOHN W. THOMPSON.  While for more than a quarter of a century John W. Thompson has lived on and operated one farm in Marion Township, his business interests have extended outside as a hay and grain dealer, and he is widely known by his connections with that industry over northwestern Ohio.
     Mr. Thompson was born in Marion Township Aug. 22, 1873, a son of William and Margaret (Holmes) Thompson.  His father was born in Champaign County, Ohio, Nov. 26, 1828, and his mother was born in Fairfield County in March 1832.  William Thompson grew up and acquired a common school education and is one of the few survivors of the real pioneer epoch in western Ohio.  He is at the time of this writing ninety-three years of age, and has lived the life of a farmer in Marion Township since his marriage.  For many years he has been active in the Marion Baptist Church.  Three children are still living: John W. and E. J., both of Marion Township, and Della, the wife of Charles Allen, of Ridge Township in Van Wert County.
     John W. Thompson grew up on the old homestead in Marion Township, and made good use of his advantage in the public schools.  On Jan. 24, 1893, he married Emma Mosier, who was born in the same township and went through the common schools.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Thompson located on their present farm, where they have 134 acre, most of it thoroughly cultivated and highly productive.  Mr. Thompson has been in the grain an hay business since 1909, under the name of Thompson, Foust & Company.  For two years he was connected with the management of the Ohio City Elevator, and also has managed elevators at Spencerville and Columbus Grove.  He is a stockholder in and a member of the Board of Directors of the Elida Bank and a stockholder in the Equity Exchange at Elida, and is president of the Elida Mutual Telephone Company.
     Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have six children: Clifford, a farmer in Marion Township; Rolie, who farms the home place; Willie, Teddy, Laura and Orvin.  The family are active members and supporters of the Middle River Church.  Mr. Thompson being superintendent of the Sunday school.  He is affiliated with the Elida Lodge of Odd Fellows, the Delphos Encampment, and is a member of Canton Orion, Patriarchs Militant No. 24 of Lima.  He is also affiliated with the Riverside Grange and the Pomona Grange of Allen County, and his family are identified with the Grange.  His sons Rolie and Clifford are members of the Odd Fellows at Elida, Ohio.  Mr. Thompson has given much of his time to public matters, and is now president of the township School Board and a county commissioner, elected on the republican ticket.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 314
  DARL W. THOMSON, one of the popular young citizens of Lima, is a secretary and treasurer of both of Lima and the Shawnee Country clubs.  The Lima Club contains the best and most representative citizenship of Lima.  It was founded in 1894 by William K. Boone, and now has 300 active members and 195 non-resident members.  The president of the club is H. L. Solomon and the vice president, A. L. Matheney.
     Darl W. Thomson
was born at Dunkirk, Ohio, Oct. 15, 1897, son of John W. and Anna (Fulton) Thomson, who are still living on the old Thomson homestead near Dunkirk.  The paternal grandparents were James and Elizabeth (Hindbaugh) Thompson, the former born in Scotland and the latter near Dunkirk, Ohio.  The Thomsons settled in that section of Ohio when the country was filled with Indians and the land covered with dense timber, so that they had to blaze their path through the woods to their destination.  The maternal grandparents of Darl Thomson were John Henry and Margaret (Stull) Fulton, natives of southern Ohio.
     Darl W. Thomson received a grammar and high school education at Dunkirk and also attended the Lima Business College.  In 1915 he entered the general foreman's office of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railway, now a part of the Baltimore & Ohio system.  In December, 1916, he went with Don N. Burton handling office supplies, and on Oct. 1, 1918, was inducted into the Student's Army Training Corps at the Ohio Northern University at Ada.  On leaving the army Dec. 20,1918, he became an office man for the Chalmers Pump & Manufacturing Company, but in October, 1919, was appointed to his present responsible and pleasant duties as secretary and treasurer, of the Lima and Shawnee clubs.  He is unmarried, is a republican and member of the Christian Church.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 314

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights